2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.91/5

Dollar General Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dollar General?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I always come to this store to purchase my detergent. The cashier did not speak when I walked up so I spoke to her first. She barely opened her mouth. After she finished ringing me up, I asked if she could put it in a bag. She stated rudely that the bag is too thin. I replied the previous cashiers would always double it for me. It is easy for me to carry. I am a senior citizen. She rudely asked another cashier to finish checking me out and walked away. I couldn't believe her attitude to a senior. Customer service is not what it use to be. Dollar General need to try their staff on customer service. Without the customer, they have no business!!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I sometimes shop at the Dollar General Store located at 1010 Sams Creek Road, Ashland City, TN. Although two signs on the door indicate that a face covering is required for entry, I noticed on several occasions that customers were shopping without masks. One of the employees was also without mask while working in the aisles. Upon checkout, I asked the clerk why they were not enforcing the posted mask requirement. She said that "Some people get offended, so they do not enforce the mask requirement." This is unfortunate, as there is an ongoing Covid spike in the area.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I am very disappointed that a company as large as Dollar General is not concerned with employees or customer safety. I can only speak for Arkansas. This is based on a total of 14 stores. At first DG was not requiring employees to wear mask or maintain six feet. Now we have a mandatory public mask in place. DG is not providing sanitizer for customers or employees. DG does not have CDC guidance posted or mandate rules. DG is not doing any sanitizer between customers. DG is sadly not having anyone to be safe. When I have ask employees to follow guidelines/ mandatory from governor each person responded with we don’t have too.

Original review: June 29, 2020

The total amount was changed multiple times by the time the order arrived, website saying one amount, an order email saying another amount, then the credit card finally billed a new totally wrong amount. All due to some items being out of stock and the amounts being recalculated each time incorrectly. Calling them about this error they only admitted the amount was partially wrong, but in the end I was still overcharged by a few dollars. Now I have to let my credit card company try and deal with them. I'll never shop the Dollar General online store again.

Original review: June 29, 2020

This store is ALWAYS in disarray. There is never stock on the shelves but yet bins are blocking aisles full of stock. The manager is ALWAYS outside propped up smoking. They got a girl in there last month that had that place looking good but about 2weeks later, she was gone - the word is she got tired of doing all the work while the manager sat on her butt outside. They need to get rid of the manager and clean this store up. It is always busy and so it could be a real money maker if you had some management that cared.

Original review: June 17, 2020

Since the pandemic I've been twice to the store on South Dale Mabry, Tampa, FL. The first time no was wearing masks. I sent email to company. Their policy is, it is optional. Today 6/17/2020 the ** male manager was rude when I asked why no was wearing masks. This store always has a ** manager and ** employees. Every ** mgr. male or female have been lazy about customer service and stocking. This manager today walked by overflowing trash can on walk in front of store and just shook his head. I left without shopping. I won't forget this store even when this pandemic is over. Never will I shop there again.

Original review: April 18, 2020

Today I went to Dollar General at 1814 Benton Rd. in Mt. Vernon. While I was in line waiting my turn to pay for my items I observed a very rude lady scream at another employee. She made this girl about cry. I was watching the entire thing unfold before the outburst. The older women said something to the cashier who then politely said ok and then she yelled for the store to hear "lose your attitude"!! It was completely unnecessary. The woman that was being mean apparently is an assistant manager. I could not believe this woman yelled at this poor girl in front of a store full of people.

I got her name (**) but did not get the girls name she was yelling at for the whole store to hear. If I was that young lady I'd find a different job because no one should be treated like that! How humiliating. That girl just continued to wait on customers with tears coming down her face. I really wanted to smack that manager. I can't believe DG would employ a person who treats their employees like this. I will NEVER go back to this store again! Nor will my family!! **, you are a very rude person and do not deserve to be a manager at ANY store!!!

Original review: April 7, 2020

I went into store #20164 on 04-06-2020 around 7 pm. I do not know what the lady's name is but I wish I did. The women that rung me and my items when I got up to the cash register she just seemed very disrespectful and nasty towards me. She was rude. I have never in my life been treated in this manner. I felt so low life.. NEVER IN MY LIFE HAS SOMEONE TREATED ME LIKE THIS... Please don't let her do this to someone else...

Original review: April 5, 2020

Gahanna, Ohio store mgr Brandi threw me out of this store October 2019 because I refused to put my 10 lb toy poodle Hearing Service Dog in the cart. I explained he is a service dog as I am deaf. I also explained she was violating federal and Ohio State law by her demand. Brandi was very rude and stated she was not. I filed formal Ohio State charges on this store and they are being investigated. Brandi also lied to her boss stating my dog barked at a child. My dog was trained by professionals and he never does this.

Brandi’s boss was very nice and pleasant. I do hope Brandi lost her job and the State of Ohio penalized Dollar General. There is also an older woman who works there that is always nasty to me when I tell her repeatedly I am deaf, I read lips. Dollar General is not understanding of deaf people and their employees are rude to people like me. I did not ask to be born deaf. I no longer patron any Dollar General stores. I’d rather pay full price elsewhere.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Went to Dollar General store this morning to make a small purchase. The customer service guy had nothing but attitude because he had to stop stocking to assist me at the register, I completed my purchase and then he proceeded to inform me that the early mornings are for the elderly. I in turn reminded him that this is true but also people with a health condition to which I would be included in but like I said attitude was all over this young man's face before he even completed our transaction at the register. I am a member of the healthcare profession and put my life on the line to help assist others every day but customer service to resident and family is number 1. Maybe Dollar General needs to remind their staff of this. It could really cost them business that no one in these times can really afford.

Dollar General Company Information