Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5

Costco Pharmacy Reviews

Original review: April 16, 2020

I dread having to get my prescriptions filled now that I am utilizing Costco pharmacy services. I appreciate the lower prices but the sacrifice it requires is almost to great. There is no way to avoid the 30-40 minute wait, after actually getting into the store to pick up a refill as calling in an order requires 2 days to be filled. Ridiculous! Picking up a prescription should not have to be a major event that one needs to schedule a half a day to get done. Pathetic service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

For the second time in as many months I have brought my prescriptions to be filled at which time I said I would like to wait for it, suggested wait time was 25 minutes so I walked around the store, came back after 30-35 minutes. Still NOT ready so I waited there another 20 or so minutes. Yesterday afternoon I dropped a new script and was told 35 minutes wait at which time I said I would be back in the morning. SO, today I went to pick it up - NOT EVEN STARTED, so I waited for 30 minutes. ENOUGH!!!

Get buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I got a cream for a rash and they gave me 3 when I asked for one. Then I asked to give me one instead and I waited 30 minutes to eventually cancel it because there was no one in line. The guy kept saying 2 mins for the system to verify but when someone new came up they helped them first?? We asked what’s taking so long and he said, "As soon as the lady is done with that lady she’ll do yours." Like the lady came 10 mins before us. Why are you not helping us first? Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Ordered a refill and it had to be ordered. Waited until Monday and instead of running it through my insurance they wanted to charge me 123.00. Because they had to redo it I had to wait over 30 minutes because of their mistake.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I recently had my doctor place prescription orders with my local Costco in Westlake Village, California. I called the pharmacy a couple days after my doctor called in the order. They had NO RECORD OF THE ORDER! I called my doctor and she wasn't terribly surprised. She said Costco "LOSES" Rx orders regularly. She believes their pharmacies are too small and understaffed. To me, that's a DAMN DANGEROUS SITUATION for people needing medications!!! I LOVE COSTCO PRICES... But I gotta find someplace else to fill my scripts!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco Pharmacy?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I got an automatic renewal in my e-mail. I activated it and it should have been filled last week. I checked my prescription this morning and am almost out. Turns out it should have been refilled a week ago. And of course they are closed on Sunday. I will probably change to a more convenient store that is open 24/7 or at least every day. This is vastly inconvenient to say the least.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Went to get my Rx refilled after a particularly difficult and terrible dental experience. Was told after I submitted my script that "they are busy and it's going to take 20 minutes or so..." I told them that I was already in severe pain and to please expedite it as much as possible. 20 minutes later with my jaw barely able to move and not being able to swallow. (This part obviously was not Costco's fault.) I go to get my Rx and am told, "Gee we are so slammed and it's going to be another 20 minutes ..." I replied "Are you Serious? Can you not tell I am in agony here? Why can't we expedite this for people who are obviously hurting?" My reply was, "Yeah now that would be nice huh?"

Now 25 minutes later I go to get my Rx and they forgot one of the prescriptions... I was livid and about to scream at them but of course can't even open my jaw. They scurry off and force one of the incompetents in the back to hurry it up. And about an hour later, I had my Rx. Again, I am in agony and now had to wait for an hour to get my prescription. And now have to wait for another to hopefully have the pain lessen a bit. Management's best reply was "Oh yeah. I'll talk to the Pharmacy manager..." Which meant Nothing. I won't use Costco Pharmacy again. This was the last straw for me.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I went to the pharmacy to fill a prescription. I went to the drop off to turn it in, after asking if they had the right brand, as my doctor filled my script early because the pharmacy I went to their brand was taking 2 hours to dissolve. I double checked and they had the brand my doctor recommended I get. They said it would be ready in a half hour. So half hour I checked. It was not ready so they said they would let me know when it was ready. Another half hour goes by I check again. Still not ready. I sat back down then all the sudden the cashiers started saying, "I'm not going to tell her, you tell her." Mind you they were loud enough for the other people waiting for their meds to hear.

Finally one comes over to me and says in a rude and snooty tone, "You are trying to fill this way too early." So I told them to call my doctor, and the reason for the early fill. I understand that they were doing their job but it doesn't take an hour to tell me this. Not to mention I was so embarrassed, because this was done right in front of several customers. The cashier took it back so the pharmacist could call my doctor 20 minutes later who by the way was very nice to me, came and told me that it would be another 20 minutes for it to be filled. The rest of the wait the cashiers gave me dirty looks and made me so upset I was crying when I got to my car.

The cashiers need to be taught some customer service, and training in the medication. I refuse to use the pharmacy at Costco ever again. I pay to be a member and I will not pay to be treated that horrible. Again the lady that checked in my med and the pharmacist were very nice. It was the 3 ladies at the cashier counter is why I will not return. I will not renew my card when due.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I was recently involved in an accident that left me unable to pick up several medications I had phoned in to Costco pharmacy the previous day. My husband does not have a membership so I gave him my card to pick up the items for me. The technician at the desk refused to give him the medications (which included insulin) because he did not have his own card.

I texted back and forth with someone at Costco headquarters today to verify if that was indeed the policy. It was correct. You have to have your own card to pick up medication for someone else. Seems strange anyone can use Costco pharmacy without a membership (by state law), but they can't pick it up for someone else without a membership card.

I asked what one was to do if she could not get into the pharmacy due to injury or severe illness. Seems a likely possibility seeing as we are talking medication. In that case, I was told, one needed to use the mail-in pharmacy (guess I should have planned ahead for my accident) -- or -- find a member to pick it up. I like a lot of things about Costco--including the prices I pay for my medications, but to essentially say my well-being can be put at risk for this ridiculous rule tells me I need to do business elsewhere. BTW, I checked the policy of other local pharmacies and not one would deny medication pick-up to a spouse.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Costco pharmacy is inexpensive. However, the pharmacists at my local Costco are inept. Of the five prescriptions I have had filled at my local Costco, only one was filled correctly. Various pharmacists have gotten the other four wrong. When I have question them, a team of two or three people is sent to the counter to argue with me and blame the prescribing doctor, the insurance company of both for Costco's error. On one occasion, I pointed to the label on the medication they had sold me that clearly indicated that the prescription was not correctly filled according to Costco's own label, the pharmacist refused to acknowledge that he had made a mistake.

I had my insurance company call only to be told after a long hold during which time the insurance rep that Costco on the phone that the people she talked to at Costco were bizarrely unable to communicate with. She suggested having the prescription transferred to a different pharmacy. I don't understand why people presumably with a university degree cannot read and understand a prescription and why they cannot accept responsibility for their mistakes. I also do not understand why Costco management doesn't fix the problem with some training.

Costco Pharmacy author review by ConsumerAffairs

Costco operates over 700 locations worldwide with many of those stores having pharmacies on site. Costco also provides online pharmacy services such as prescription refills, home delivery, fulfilling new prescription orders and fulfilling pet prescriptions. Consumers do not need to be a member of Costco’s membership program to participate in their online pharmacy services.

• Prescription refill: Customers can refill their prescriptions online by entering in a few pieces of information found on their prescription label such as the warehouse and prescription numbers along with their name, phone number and email address. Customers can refill up to six prescriptions at one time.

• Home delivery: Customers who are unable to pick up their prescriptions at a Costco location can choose to have them delivered. Costco is licensed to dispense controlled substances in all appropriate states. Standard shipping is free and takes 6-14 days, three-day shipping is $10.95 and two-shipping is $13.95.

• Drug directory: Costco’s drug directory provides the pricing (before insurance) and information for all available drugs, including generic alternative information for each drug. Drug information tells consumers what the drug is and how to use that medication properly.

• Pet medication: Costco pharmacies dispense over 150 commonly used medications for dogs and cats at lower prices that rival online pet medication suppliers. With a prescription from a veterinarian, customers can fill or refill their pet’s medications. Costco has a full list of pet medication pricing online.

• Costco Membership Prescription Program: Costco offers the CMPP to its members as an additional benefit that allows them to receive lower prices on all medications. The CMPP is offered at no additional charge to Costco members and customers can apply the discounts to any medication not covered by their insurance.

• Accreditation: Costco doesn’t list its licensing and accreditation online. Consumers can call and verify both by using a toll-free number.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team