Coleman

Coleman

2.3/5 (90 ratings)

About Coleman

Coleman Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coleman?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coleman Company?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2013

11 years ago we purchased our Coleman outdoor patio table with 6 chairs. The table was tempered glass and suddenly exploded for no reason last Wednesday. Luckily no one was seriously hurt - just some scrapes and cuts. We went online to research this and found over 100 other instances of this same spontaneous shattering glass happening with no recalls. Seriously?! We now have to replace this set, but will never again buy tempered glass.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2013

I need to replace a Coleman Powermate carburetor. Despite my efforts (three times) I am getting the same answer: "Thank you for contacting Coleman. I would be more than happy to assist you today. Unfortunately, this is a licensed item and we will have to refer you to the manufacturer of this item for any assistance." I asked for the manufacturer information – got the same answer three times.

Original review: May 15, 2010

It is unfortunate that I find myself writing this letter today. My family grew up using Coleman products. Today, that relationship is ending. My wife and I purchased the Coleman Roadtrip Grill LX to replace the Roadtrip Grill LXE. The LXE was unavailable on your site as well as several other sporting good sites. We figured no worries, the LXE was great and we have had it for four years. The LX will surely be a good product. We could not have been more wrong. One would think looking at the features, specs and price that we would be getting more for our money but again we could not have been more wrong.

When we received the grill, the outside box was incredibly damaged, which is why the item is not being returned in that original outside packaging. However, it should be known that the box the grill is being returned in is the original secondary box that the grill is actually packaged in. The instructions to put the grill together were not so helpful. The quality of the grill for the price was ludicrous. The LX grill coating was Teflon, I think, definitely something that would scratch and chip far too easily. You can't possibly think this product could withstand a long grilling life. The side tables were difficult to install and uninstall, the legs even when in place and braced left me with no confidence that they would withstand the long-term weight of the grill or activity that usually occurs while grilling.

To say that the LX is an inferior product to the LXE is an understatement. This is not the quality product I would expect from Coleman. My wife and I decided for the money, this was not the grill for us.We then decided to roll up our sleeves and give our four-year old LXE some tender loving care and to return the LX. It took me three tries to get in touch with someone at Coleman customer service.

1. Central Time servicing hours.= You have a small domestic call center. Admirable, but inconvenient.
2. Your company is closed for a company-wide meeting.

3. 14 minutes on hold before I got connected to a call center rep, another 4 minutes 32 seconds on hold once explaining my issue.

Why no FAQs on your website, no live chat, search and advanced search offer no results on keyword return? How much of your yearly revenue is generated from shipping costs?

When I finally get to speak to Ken (assured the only Ken) at your call center, he proceeds to tell me that Coleman provides all the information. I need to pick a product out online, if I then get the product and don't like it, that is not Coleman's fault and therefore, no, I will not be getting assistance by way of pre-paid packaging slip to send the product back nor would I be getting credited for the shipping I paid for to have the product originally sent to me.

I understand times are tough for the everyday man and companies cutting costs is essential for many to stay afloat, but are you serious? You make a poorly constructed product, charge an average market price, provide no shipping incentive when most other companies do and then offer no return info a/o shipping assistance when a consumer decides to return a product. What is the incentive for me as a consumer to continue to do business with Coleman?

Relationship with Coleman is over. I am returning this grill today in the original secondary box which it came in. I am returning the grill with a copy of the original package slip, a copy of my order number and the cc info the purchase price should be returned to. A miracle would have this letter actually making it to a senior exec's desk so that I was also credited the original shipping fee and the cost to ship the grill back, but I suspect that type of consumer/customer service would only happen at the Coleman company I knew years ago, which is very sad. As I told Ken, "Thanks for your time. Perhaps, I will see you sometime when I am shopping at LL Bean."

Original review: Oct. 17, 2009

My furnace is a part of the bad heat exchanger recall. I have had no heat for 15 days. They told me they found a replacement exchanger 2 weeks ago. I have called until I am totally frustrated and still without heat. I was told if the one they found wasn’t available, then who knows how long before I get one. I have snow in my yard, and I’m very tired of being cold. I don’t know what else to do. If you can help in any way, it would be very much appreciated. Hmmm, how fitting that one of the spam ** words on this letter is Snowman.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2008

In the Spring/Summer of 2005 I purchased a Mosquito Deleto, Model 2500, from Lowes. I've always had trouble finding a Octenol Lure refill and now the problem has extended itself to a Spare Gas Tip (product #2920-5241), which is extremely necessary for the apparatus to function properly. When I contacted the Coleman Company they first of all told me that the product was no longer available. So I called the Coleman store in Birch Run, they didn't have one either. Neither did the Lowes' store.

I contacted the Coleman Company again and talked to a representative. She told me they were on back order and it would be November until they were ready to be shipped. I could order on the internet or place an order with them. When I tried to order on the internet, I was informed that the product was not available.

I contacted the Coleman Company again and this rep told me the product was no longer available. When I told her that I had only had the product for less than three years and expected a refund of $329.00 (the price I paid for the original at Lowes). She informed me that there was only a one year guarantee on the Mosquito Deleto and I wouldn't receive any refund. I told her that I was going to contact you and file a complaint. She referred me to another individual. I left a message with him but haven't heard back from him as of this complaint.

Is there any action that I can take against this company? I paid out $329.00 for a product that for some reason is no longer made or serviced. What can I do? The Mosquito Deleto was delveloped in put on the market in 2004 and taken off in 2006. They wouldn't explain why the product was taken off the market.

Original review: May 4, 2008

My husband bought a Coleman Bunkhouse Cot on our way camping. We made up the beds and that night, my sons smelled of chemicals. I couldn't figure out what it was and I was sniffing everything in the tent. I realized that the new cot smelled strong, so strong that my son smelled just like it. I slept on the cot the next night without the pad and it was no better. I contacted the company and they said if it was that strong to return it, but I cannot find the receipt. How can you tell what the damage is from such an exposure? My six-year-old’s entire body, the sleeping bag and tent smelled of the cot. It was either a waterproofing or fireproofing chemical. He smelled of it the next day! I worry about the exposure, the sweat on his face even smelled of it. It was very strong.

Original review: March 16, 2007

We purchased a new patio set from Lowe's in 2006 and the tempered glass table top suddenly shattered for no reason at all while sitting on our patio. This patio set. known as the Windsor Collection, was sold at all Lowe's Home improvement stores under the well known name of Coleman, a company which is well known for their Coleman gas lanterns, camping gear and RVs. After contacting 6 different Lowe's stores in my area trying to find a replacement top, I was informed that Lowe's no longer carries the Coleman name brand of patio furniture and that I was not the first customer to call to report about Coleman glass table top exploding.

I was then informed that Lowe's is now selling a new line of patio furniture by the name of Garden Treasure whose phone number is 1-800-416-3511 which is the same number that appears on my Coleman warranty papers. Apparently, the following company, Agio International whose main office is located in Virginia Beach, Virginia (757) 468-4782 sells patio furniture to all the big box stores like K-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot and Target along with many others. These box stores tell Agio what they want and how many and then the furniture is manufactured in China and shipped back to the U.S.A.

From what I've been told plus read after doing some research online, there has been a large number of these tempered glass patio table tops that have exploded for no reason at all, and all of them are made by the same glass company located in China. Contacting Coleman or Agio is fruitless because they come right out and tell you they are not responsible for the glass tops and they will not replace nor do they even keep replacements in stock. What they do tell their customers is they can contact a local glass supplier to make a replacement top. After doing so and getting different prices from local companies, I was informed that the price for a 50' round tempered glass table top with an umbrella hole cut in the middle would cost us close to $500 which is a little less than what we paid for the whole set from Lowe's.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2006

My concern is the gas furnace installed (new) in my manufactured home built in 1989, which my wife and I bought in Jan 1990 and moved in on Jan. 15, 1990. I received this notice by postal service on Nov. 1, 2006. The service Information was dated on April 10, 2006. The service safety notice reminder is dated Oct. 2, 2006. My concern is, why did it take so long to notify me, the homeowner? My home could have burned down with me and my wife and son in it. I am 100% disabled and in a wheelchair when I must go outside. I am on oxygen 24/7, I can not go without the oxygen. If there is anything I missed, let me know. Thank you so much.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2006

51-inch round tempered glass dining table top exploded for no apparent reason. I've heard about this happening to other people before so I guess it's my turn this time. I know nobody will believe us, so I just want to report this so you can add it to the other complaints you have gotten about this kind of thing. Maybe you can get these table tops off the market if it's warranted. Somebody could get hurt. Nobody was hurt in my family. We found it that way when we came home. Sunny, non-windy day in the 90s. No evidence of foul play. It looked like it exploded in place because most of it was straight down inside the frame, but there were pieces all over the deck.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2002

My family had decided to buy a small generator for the blackouts we were supposed to have last summer in our area. So we proceeded on our way to Home Depot. We spoke to a salesman named Oscar. He showed us a Coleman generator that would fit our needs and our price range. The only problem is they were out of that model, but he could sell the display model to me with a 10% discount due to it having been a display model. Oscar informed me it did not have a box or instructions and explained how it worked. So needless to say, I bought it. After I called Home Depot about the blow up, they informed me about the fall that generator had taken from a 5-foot drop and was not to be sold. They were to pick up that one and bring out another. I’ve got pictures and the fire investigator’s report that says it was an internal error on the generator’s fault. Home Depot had given it to Coleman and they were supposed to deal with me, but they never did pay up on this.

Two days after I had it home, we started it up to see how long a tank gas would last. It ran for a minute and cut out. Then I opened the gas knob and it blew up, throwing me at least 20 feet and burning my glasses up. I lost lots of hair, not to mention my car port was burned and my portable TV was burned also. I am a disabled woman with 3 children. I have a social disorder, which is angoraphobia and I’m on SSI for it. This has made me worse and my depression has gone to its lowest I’ve ever been. This has cost me a great deal of money.

Coleman Company Information