1.56/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

47 Coleman Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I ordered a tent from Coleman on July 11th, 2018 and paid $30.95 extra for two day shipping. The tent was to be shipped to a KOA in North Carolina to be waiting for us when we arrived on Sunday the 15th. It was not to be found when we arrived at the campground. It finally showed up on Monday, the 16th and we refused the shipment. I waited patiently for the refund to show up on my credit card, but by the 31st of July it still had not credited. I called the company and was told the credit would appear when the tent was returned. I advised them it had been over two weeks and the tent must be there by now.

After waiting on hold for 15 minutes the "customer service representative" (ha ha) advised me that, indeed, they did find the tent in the back corner of a warehouse! Now it has been 10 days since that conversation and still no refund. I did get an email stating they would not refund shipping charges since they had shipped in the "correct time frame." Amazon, and most every other shipper defines 2 day shipping as order on Monday, receive on Wednesday. Last time I'll deal with Coleman. Their phone message on hold tells about how wonderfully Mr. Coleman built his business on trust and quality.

Updated on 08/14/2018: Refund on the way; 8/10 employee says refund will process in 3-5 days; 8/14 still processing refund-wait another 3-5 days. Our experience with Coleman has been most disappointing!

Original review: June 27, 2018

Coleman products have been gladly used by my family for generations. I purchased a "complete tank" replacement for my camp stove from their website [with hesitation as their site had no photo of this nor more of the products they sell]. Customer service was closed so I called shortly after they opened the following day. Upon learning that it wasn't a "complete tank" but a tank w.out the necessary parts I requested to cancel the order. "You can't," was their reply, "it's been processed." It hadn't shipped out but that didn't matter: "no returns, no refunds, ever" I was told. I pushed to speak with a manager and she told me to request FedEx to "return product to sender" once I got a tracking number. When Coleman received it, they'd offer a refund. A ridiculous waste of people's time and $. Coleman must not want to keep their customers- they've certainly lost me.

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought a Coleman grill, hot plate and hose adaptor so that I could use the larger propane tank, rather than just the 1 pound propane bottles. Before I made my purchase online, I asked them if that was the correct hose and they said yes. I did not need to use the grill right away, so I didn't open it until more than 30 days after I bought it. That is when I discovered that the hose was wrong, it would only fit the 1 pound bottles. When I contacted Coleman, they said I needed a different hose or an adaptor.

Since more than 30 days had passed, if I wanted to return it, I would have to pay for shipping and a 20% re-stocking fee. I thought this was pretty absurd, so I wrote a review on their website. I then received an email back from them stating that they would not accept my review. They are censoring their reviews and only posting good ones, that is ridiculous. My total original purchase was $184.40 and the hose was $22.49. It is not worth paying for the shipping and also a 20% fee. I'm mad.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I ordered a 10x10 lighted canopy from Coleman.com on a Monday, for a party I was having that Friday. I checked the website and they stated two day shipping for around $50.00. I paid it, as I live in a rural area. When the item was due, that Wednesday, I called Coleman customer service and was given the run-around for 15 minutes about when the item was actually shipped, and when it would arrive. I finally was told that it had not even shipped yet, and would arrive that Friday by 8 p.m. I explained that was too late for my needs, and was told that there was nothing that could be done. I asked for a refund of the $50.00 in shipping, since it would not arrive on time. The response was that there was nothing that could be done to refund the shipping. I asked if I could return the item once it arrived and was told that they would charge me shipping, and a percent for "reshelving."

I had been on the phone for 38 minutes at this point, and asked to speak with a manager. After holding another 8 minutes for a manager, the manager stated that she would help me with the return, but instead offered to refund the shipping. I agreed after asking her, in exasperation, why that wasn't offered to me a half-hour earlier. She promised to refund the shipping. Later that day, I got an email from that manager, stating that the item may arrive on Thursday after all, and that if it didn't she'd refund my shipping. It didn't arrive. It showed up late Friday in the middle of the party, after I had already set up an alternative arrangement.

I emailed and asked her to follow through. The response that I received was that because I would have paid regular shipping in the first place, she was only refunding $12.00. Original shipping was $13.00, so the amount due was $28.95. I emailed and asked for the $28.95 to be refunded and stopped getting responses. I called to return the item and again, was told I'd have to pay shipping and a return charge.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The cot is wonderful. The air mattress that came with the cot is a specific size for Coleman. Coleman does not offer just a replacement air mattresses. One needs to needlessly replace the cot as well. What a waste! Never buying from Coleman again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coleman Company?

Original review: April 9, 2018

I ordered the 10 × 10 lighted canopy, April 3, 2018. With this purchase there was a promotion going on for a free flask with a purchase of anything over $100 +. I entered the Flask promotion code as instructed, so the cost would be deducted from invoice. The cost for canopy was $150.39, $13.00 for shipping (due to weight of canopy) and $9.96 tax, which is 6.625% in NJ. Totaling $173.35, which was deducted from my bank account, and I do not dispute. But after checking my bank account, I see an extra charge in $11.52 in addition to said amount above, and am baffled as to what this extra charge is for. I call customer service to inquire about this extra charge.

I've never had an experience with a company in my entire life like I had today. I truly believe the representative had no idea what the charge was either, but tried to create a reason why I was charged this extra amount after my initial payment was taken. I was told that the extra $11.52 was sales tax that was initially figured out wrong to the price of the canopy changed to that I should have called on the phone and ordered and this would not have happened. I was on the phone for 40 minutes with the representative trying to find out why I have this extra charge. In the end I am only being refunded $9.99. I was mentally exhausted after this phone call.

You would've thought that I was requesting their first born. I don't think that I will ever do business with them again, I felt as if the customer didn't matter, like I was bothering them with my matter (even though they overcharged me) and I should just accept it. A complete runaround conversation. Just pay the extra $11.52 and leave them alone. I don't feel any customer satisfaction because they still did not refund the full overcharge, even if its only $1.53. Be careful to check your bank statements/bank accounts when ordering from Coleman, as you may find some extra charges you weren't aware of.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I bought a Coleman airbed from Target and it deflated after a few months, I then contacted Coleman and they sent me a new air bed and again, it deflated after a while... I went back to Target and they refused to refund my money and gave me another airbed and again it deflated after a while. This item is obviously defective and I called Coleman and told them and they obviously do not care.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Air Bed went flat after initial indoor use. Keep putting air in. Notified Coleman about my faulty air bed. They said they were sure it wasn't leaking, but just that I hadn't filled it right! Anyway, sent them my receipt, and then they wanted a picture of the bed with the Coleman Logo and the incident number. Did all this. Then when I contacted them 5 days later, they said they couldn't help me with any information or shipping because that department wasn't in! What? Poorest customer service I've received in a long time. Won't be buying Coleman anytime soon.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I was sent the wrong tent even after Coleman tents asked me for pictures of my tent. They tried to send me a cheap lower cost camping tent. I emailed them over 10 times with my phone number. Would never call me. They did what they wanted to do and was to cheat me out of my 350 dollar tent and sent me a 100 dollar tent that's junk. My tent was only 45 days old and was leaking every place and fan and lighting stopped working. Coleman did not care at all. Tried to send me a cheapest tent they could. I'm very disappointed and upset.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

In May I ordered two leather sofas from Furniture ETC, an authorized Ashley Furniture distributor - WHAT A JOKE. After dozens of phone calls and refused deliveries, they have withheld over $500 in restocking fees because I would not accept the defective sofas. They flip flop with 3 business names. I have since found 276 BBB complaints for the same and have notified the IC3/Internet Fraud at the FBI - AKA Renegade Furniture Group AKA Furniture ETC

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We bought this new coffee maker in January of this year. On our fourth camping trip it started to melt. We used it the same way every time so we knew it was defective. I emailed their "customer service" group three times over three weeks with no response. I included photos as requested along with photos of all of our other camping stuff from their company. After a frustrated email I finally got a reply. Judging by a date code on the bottom they determined it was out of warranty even though I am only 8 months into a year warranty. This item retails for about $40 and their cost is likely $15 to $17. For this small amount they are perfectly willing to lose a loyal customer. This is by far the most frustrating customer experience I ever had. I will never buy another Coleman product again because they will not stand behind it.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Purchased a Coleman 5hp boat motor in 2015, the engine had to be repaired 3 time during the first three months on warranty, has never run right, again its back in the repair shop. Sent issues to Coleman Customer service, and they advised they don't manufacture the engine and advised I send my complaint to reach Godfrey and Associates who manufacture this engine for Coleman. Passing the buck, they don't stand behind a product with their name on it. The Marina repairing the engine advised me that they will not even accept a Coleman engine as a trade in due to their unreliability. Sad...

Original review: July 13, 2017

Poorly Engineered Tent. Don't buy the Coleman 3-Person 7' X 7' tent. The poles break with the slightest wind and the company won't stand behind their product. The tent in question was less than 6 months old. BEWARE.

Original review: June 22, 2017

$400 Hampton 9-person tent bought through Canadian Tire. Used twice. It is rated for wind. 2nd time one of the main fiberglass poles broke part # 5010000751. Canadian Tire has a 7 day return. Coleman doesn't have any and says it isn't covered under warranty. When I lost my ** and said, "Seriously? A TENT POLE isn't covered? WTH?" He changed his tune but still said he had none in stock, mumbled about there being none available that things become obsolete etc. I said, "What was that?" He said "you never know why they aren't in stock." HA! I said "the exact model is on sale at Canadian Tire right now different color - bet it has a pole!" You don't have any because they break! I have the other pole to that set and the fiberglass pole is cracking down the center and will break too! Because it's fiberglass we disposed of the first one that broke.

He gave me a number to call to see if they had one. I said, "So it IS covered under warranty?" He said, "Well... hmmmm.... mention it to them and say it's a warranty item maybe they will just ship it out anyway." OH MY GOD what? In the end I hung up on him. FWIW the other place doesn't have any either. So I have a $400 tent I have used twice, I need it now and can't find a damn tent pole. If I buy generic poles and DIY it's going to be close to $80 for a freaking pole. Very disappointed in customer service and poor quality product of such an expensive item. Won't buy from them again.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I ordered an 8 man instant tent. One of the poles didn't extend so we suffered through our vacation with a broken tent. I requested a replacement but they didn't have one. I couldn't get a refund because we bought it through Amazon. I had to write the confirmation number and take a picture of the problem and email it with the receipt and was told I could get another for no cost and they recommended throwing it away.

So I ordered another of the same tent and amazingly one of the extensions was constructed incorrectly. The inside extension arm was 180 degrees out of alignment. I tried using the extension of the first bad tent and replacing it in the second but the ends were different and wouldn't fit. I was told to take a picture of the problem and they would send me another. I was so sick of dealing with the customer service I elected to cut my losses and just throw both tents away. NO MORE COLEMAN PRODUCTS FOR ME!

Original review: April 28, 2017

We purchased, brand new, our 2017 Coleman Travel Trailer... We bought the one at the show so we had to wait for it to be "cleaned up" and ready for pick up (Sept 2016). When we went to get it, nothing was done, plus it wasn't even on the lot we were told it would be at. Once we contacted the salesperson, we were told it was shipped to NY, from PA and would have to find a way to get it to NJ--where we live. We took possession of it but found that NONE of the work was done. So, the NJ location of Camping World did the work, we took physical possession in Nov 2016. Since we live in NJ, we didn't even bother to use it but had it winterized so things would be great come Spring 2017.

So we got it ready with our personal items, powered it up, filled the tanks and took over from our home in April 2017. After driving 2 houses away from our home the electronic awning, an awning where you have to physically stand and hold the button to open, the awning opened while we were driving--no one was in the trailer. We called the insurance company and camping world to get things recorded and fixed... The insurance company came out and said this should all be covered by the warranty as there is no way this should of happened. So now we wait until Camping World looks at it, hopefully not changing service dates as they usually do and see who is going to take care of what. I do NOT want to pay a penny for anything as this is not our error, mistake, etc but the manufacturer's and should stand behind their product.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. Because guaranteed no leaks. Leak after less than 4 months. Apparently my fault because for guest use only. Paid a fortune because of the no leak statement. DO NOT BUY THIS BED!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Just wanted to point out that we brought our new Coleman (2915RK Travel Trailer) on 28 Jan 2017 from Camping World in Colorado Springs, CO. Drove home and found that the emergency window on the bedroom area does not latch or stay closed. Cheap plastic latch. Exterior door holder comes unhooked each time you step up on the step and the door closes. No instructions on Radio or how to register your appliances. Plus when they made the trailer, they put in the ducts to the AC, dropped in an AC and did not attach any ducts to the unit. So the AC unit is now a single blow vent. Have to have someone hook up the vents. Now that was the biggest FUBAR of all. No quality checks by this established organization.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

Bought some Coleman hunting gear for my recent hunting trip and loved it! They were a thicker insulated pant with a cargo pocket. At first I thought it would just take on a lot of rain and be miserable but I actually stayed mostly dry and definitely warm, I will be packing these for my elk trip in November! The only downside of them is that they only have 1 cargo pocket and the belt loops are a little this so I worry about my sidearm and knives tearing them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I talked with Ebony, one of their customer support reps. Obviously another one that does not care what the customer needs. Bought a tent and finally used it. Long story short, it rained and the tent buckled. I called for spare parts, and she tells me there are no parts available... WTF? So these things are disposable? Use once and toss? Screw you COLEMAN. I will never buy a COLEMAN product again. Ebony was nice enough to offer me a discount and free shipping on a new one... Guess where you can stick that offer...

Original review: July 8, 2016

1 season of use of 9949a Roadtrip lxe coleman grill rusted. Took off its cover, opened lid and tons of rust. Called customer svc. Head ph person Tony said out of warranty. I said it should not have rusted that bad and some very essential parts have to be replaced. Not satisfied with his offer. I asked to talk to higher up. Couldn't get but said would give 50% off online, any regular price item. Having paid sale price $140 plus tax, there is no grill or item that comes near that price. Why should I have to pay more for a grill when the original one was a good price. I want a replacement or refund. Not to pay again and pay more.

Original review: June 22, 2016

Over the years I had tried many coffee makers while camping. The wife and I were never satisfied with the taste. A friend of the family recommended that we try a Coleman coffeemaker. Last fall on a camping trip we had a chance to try the unit. We both agreed that it was the best we had used. This spring, to my disappointment, I had a problem with the unit, it was no longer usable. I contacted Coleman of the problem. Working with their warranty dept, they stood behind their product and sent me a new unit free of charge. With that kind of service I will continue to use Coleman products.

Original review: June 9, 2016

Out-of-stock items are advertised as being on sale, but cannot be ordered. When Coleman customer service was contacted not all questions were answered and I was told that the sale price is only good while supplies last, but they do not have any supplies. I'm not sure what the definition of false advertising is, but this sounds like it to me. Sale products are not available and customer service is not helpful. If Coleman customer service can't help with purchasing merchandise what kind of customer service would they provide if a purchased item was defective?

Original review: May 25, 2016

Just have to vent a moment. In November 2015 our kid was moving unexpectedly from her apartment and in a pinch. She had a place to stay, but nothing to sleep on. We ran down to the local Wal-Mart (sorry, it was late and that's what was open), and bought a Coleman airbed. We got 'home' and the pump was in the box, but not the parts to connect the pump to the bed. Whatever, I run back down to Wal-Mart to exchange it and they would not because of Coleman's policy of 'Do Not Return This Product To The Place Of Purchase' written on a piece of paper INSIDE the box.

I have been dealing with Coleman on and off since then. Sometimes when I have a spare moment I entertain myself by trying to get a Giant Company to make a little problem right by trying to get them to send the stupid plastic parts that connect the pump to the bed or just a new/different pump. Since I paid cash, cannot find the receipt (we were in a bit of a tizzy ya know), and the pump has 2014 stamped on it, even though I purchased it end of 2015, they will not replace anything. Obviously this is a stupid 1st world problem, but you might want to think twice about ever spending any of your hard-earned money with a company who won't correct their oops.

Original review: May 22, 2016

I got my Coleman tent 17 years ago, as a gift from my grandma. Ever since we got this, we use this almost every year during the summer time when we go camping. It is still working fine, no repairs needed. The quality is superb! If you want a tent that lasts for decades, go get a Coleman tent.

Original review: May 20, 2016

We just recently went to the beach and had to bring ice for our beer. I told my friends to just buy in the resort but one of them suggested bringing a Coleman jug instead and buy ice. I wasn't sure about that plan until the next day. We brought 2 big blocks of ice and I thought at first that it won't last long because it was really hot. But boy I was so wrong. The next day, we still have 1 solid ice block. I was really amazed. Didn't think the ice would not melt fast. I will buy my own Coleman jug. It is an amazing problem.

Original review: April 12, 2016

I purchased two sleeping bags at Big 5 store where I live. In addition, I purchased another two bags on Amazon. The zipper on both of the sleeping bags I purchased from the Big 5 are coming off - they weren't sewn properly. I called Coleman customer service and told them I could not find my original receipt, but provided them with all the store information and the purchase order number from my bank statement. They said it would not be a problem.

After going through ALL their return, or exchange steps through email, I'm finally told that NO - they will not honor their warranty. Overall buying all four sleeping bags, I spent over $300.00. I am now returning the bags to Big 5, where they are more than happy to get my receipt from my bank info, and getting my money back. I am also returning my other two bags. I will not support this company by buying their poor quality products and LOUSY customer service ever again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I am so sad that we have such a throw-away society. Why can't replacement parts be made available, but more particularly, why can't things be manufactured to last? I have a Coleman Laurel Creek 6-person tent that has two sets (out of three sets) of poles that are broken. There are NO replacement parts for a perfectly good tent that is only six years old and was used about four times! So now I get to throw it away and fill up a landfill. What an absolute shame. It's a waste of my hard-earned money and a waste of materials. Get some engineers and manufacturers to make a product that lasts! Offer replacements so that a camping trip can be enjoyed! I guess I will have to look for another tent manufacturer.

Original review: July 24, 2015

We used the 8 man fast pitch tent for the 1st time, and thought it was great. Lots of room for two cots (tied together), with a queen air mattress on top. Super comfy with luggage stowed under cots, and two chairs and table set inside as well. The small pole that supports the vestibule (porch) was split however, so we called Coleman when we arrived home. They said that they did not have a replacement part available, as it was a new tent (very strange). We had to return it to Costco, they asked no questions, but they had no tents left. So I gave them back an almost perfectly good tent (I even waxed all the zippers). Now we have no tent, which is OK until next year, but I'm just glad I have no Coleman stock investments.

Original review: July 17, 2015

Bought the Coleman WeatherMaster 10 tent and the entire rainfly leaked, destroying some dried goods and gear I thought were safe inside the tent. After reading all the reviews on this tent which were purchased about the same time as mine, it seems there was a serious factory flaw in China and they forgot to seal the rainfly. Coleman customer support is a JOKE!!! I've supported Coleman since the early 80's and it seems they don't want my business anymore over a product that their Chinese factory screwed up! They have succeeded and I will no longer support or buy from Coleman again!

Coleman Company Information

Coleman Company
www.coleman.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business