Coleman
Based on 30 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Coleman

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 4, 2017

38 Coleman Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I was sent the wrong tent even after Coleman tents asked me for pictures of my tent. They tried to send me a cheap lower cost camping tent. I emailed them over 10 times with my phone number. Would never call me. They did what they wanted to do and was to cheat me out of my 350 dollar tent and sent me a 100 dollar tent that's junk. My tent was only 45 days old and was leaking every place and fan and lighting stopped working. Coleman did not care at all. Tried to send me a cheapest tent they could. I'm very disappointed and upset.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

In May I ordered two leather sofas from Furniture ETC, an authorized Ashley Furniture distributor - WHAT A JOKE. After dozens of phone calls and refused deliveries, they have withheld over $500 in restocking fees because I would not accept the defective sofas. They flip flop with 3 business names. I have since found 276 BBB complaints for the same and have notified the IC3/Internet Fraud at the FBI - AKA Renegade Furniture Group AKA Furniture ETC

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

We bought this new coffee maker in January of this year. On our fourth camping trip it started to melt. We used it the same way every time so we knew it was defective. I emailed their "customer service" group three times over three weeks with no response. I included photos as requested along with photos of all of our other camping stuff from their company. After a frustrated email I finally got a reply. Judging by a date code on the bottom they determined it was out of warranty even though I am only 8 months into a year warranty. This item retails for about $40 and their cost is likely $15 to $17. For this small amount they are perfectly willing to lose a loyal customer. This is by far the most frustrating customer experience I ever had. I will never buy another Coleman product again because they will not stand behind it.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Poorly Engineered Tent. Don't buy the Coleman 3-Person 7' X 7' tent. The poles break with the slightest wind and the company won't stand behind their product. The tent in question was less than 6 months old. BEWARE.

Original review: June 22, 2017

$400 Hampton 9-person tent bought through Canadian Tire. Used twice. It is rated for wind. 2nd time one of the main fiberglass poles broke part # 5010000751. Canadian Tire has a 7 day return. Coleman doesn't have any and says it isn't covered under warranty. When I lost my ** and said, "Seriously? A TENT POLE isn't covered? WTH?" He changed his tune but still said he had none in stock, mumbled about there being none available that things become obsolete etc. I said, "What was that?" He said "you never know why they aren't in stock." HA! I said "the exact model is on sale at Canadian Tire right now different color - bet it has a pole!" You don't have any because they break! I have the other pole to that set and the fiberglass pole is cracking down the center and will break too! Because it's fiberglass we disposed of the first one that broke.

He gave me a number to call to see if they had one. I said, "So it IS covered under warranty?" He said, "Well... hmmmm.... mention it to them and say it's a warranty item maybe they will just ship it out anyway." OH MY GOD what? In the end I hung up on him. FWIW the other place doesn't have any either. So I have a $400 tent I have used twice, I need it now and can't find a damn tent pole. If I buy generic poles and DIY it's going to be close to $80 for a freaking pole. Very disappointed in customer service and poor quality product of such an expensive item. Won't buy from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coleman Company?

Original review: June 7, 2017

I ordered an 8 man instant tent. One of the poles didn't extend so we suffered through our vacation with a broken tent. I requested a replacement but they didn't have one. I couldn't get a refund because we bought it through Amazon. I had to write the confirmation number and take a picture of the problem and email it with the receipt and was told I could get another for no cost and they recommended throwing it away.

So I ordered another of the same tent and amazingly one of the extensions was constructed incorrectly. The inside extension arm was 180 degrees out of alignment. I tried using the extension of the first bad tent and replacing it in the second but the ends were different and wouldn't fit. I was told to take a picture of the problem and they would send me another. I was so sick of dealing with the customer service I elected to cut my losses and just throw both tents away. NO MORE COLEMAN PRODUCTS FOR ME!

Original review: April 28, 2017

We purchased, brand new, our 2017 Coleman Travel Trailer... We bought the one at the show so we had to wait for it to be "cleaned up" and ready for pick up (Sept 2016). When we went to get it, nothing was done, plus it wasn't even on the lot we were told it would be at. Once we contacted the salesperson, we were told it was shipped to NY, from PA and would have to find a way to get it to NJ--where we live. We took possession of it but found that NONE of the work was done. So, the NJ location of Camping World did the work, we took physical possession in Nov 2016. Since we live in NJ, we didn't even bother to use it but had it winterized so things would be great come Spring 2017.

So we got it ready with our personal items, powered it up, filled the tanks and took over from our home in April 2017. After driving 2 houses away from our home the electronic awning, an awning where you have to physically stand and hold the button to open, the awning opened while we were driving--no one was in the trailer. We called the insurance company and camping world to get things recorded and fixed... The insurance company came out and said this should all be covered by the warranty as there is no way this should of happened. So now we wait until Camping World looks at it, hopefully not changing service dates as they usually do and see who is going to take care of what. I do NOT want to pay a penny for anything as this is not our error, mistake, etc but the manufacturer's and should stand behind their product.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. Because guaranteed no leaks. Leak after less than 4 months. Apparently my fault because for guest use only. Paid a fortune because of the no leak statement. DO NOT BUY THIS BED!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Just wanted to point out that we brought our new Coleman (2915RK Travel Trailer) on 28 Jan 2017 from Camping World in Colorado Springs, CO. Drove home and found that the emergency window on the bedroom area does not latch or stay closed. Cheap plastic latch. Exterior door holder comes unhooked each time you step up on the step and the door closes. No instructions on Radio or how to register your appliances. Plus when they made the trailer, they put in the ducts to the AC, dropped in an AC and did not attach any ducts to the unit. So the AC unit is now a single blow vent. Have to have someone hook up the vents. Now that was the biggest FUBAR of all. No quality checks by this established organization.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

Bought some Coleman hunting gear for my recent hunting trip and loved it! They were a thicker insulated pant with a cargo pocket. At first I thought it would just take on a lot of rain and be miserable but I actually stayed mostly dry and definitely warm, I will be packing these for my elk trip in November! The only downside of them is that they only have 1 cargo pocket and the belt loops are a little this so I worry about my sidearm and knives tearing them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I talked with Ebony, one of their customer support reps. Obviously another one that does not care what the customer needs. Bought a tent and finally used it. Long story short, it rained and the tent buckled. I called for spare parts, and she tells me there are no parts available... WTF? So these things are disposable? Use once and toss? Screw you COLEMAN. I will never buy a COLEMAN product again. Ebony was nice enough to offer me a discount and free shipping on a new one... Guess where you can stick that offer...

Original review: July 8, 2016

1 season of use of 9949a Roadtrip lxe coleman grill rusted. Took off its cover, opened lid and tons of rust. Called customer svc. Head ph person Tony said out of warranty. I said it should not have rusted that bad and some very essential parts have to be replaced. Not satisfied with his offer. I asked to talk to higher up. Couldn't get but said would give 50% off online, any regular price item. Having paid sale price $140 plus tax, there is no grill or item that comes near that price. Why should I have to pay more for a grill when the original one was a good price. I want a replacement or refund. Not to pay again and pay more.

Original review: June 22, 2016

Over the years I had tried many coffee makers while camping. The wife and I were never satisfied with the taste. A friend of the family recommended that we try a Coleman coffeemaker. Last fall on a camping trip we had a chance to try the unit. We both agreed that it was the best we had used. This spring, to my disappointment, I had a problem with the unit, it was no longer usable. I contacted Coleman of the problem. Working with their warranty dept, they stood behind their product and sent me a new unit free of charge. With that kind of service I will continue to use Coleman products.

Original review: June 9, 2016

Out-of-stock items are advertised as being on sale, but cannot be ordered. When Coleman customer service was contacted not all questions were answered and I was told that the sale price is only good while supplies last, but they do not have any supplies. I'm not sure what the definition of false advertising is, but this sounds like it to me. Sale products are not available and customer service is not helpful. If Coleman customer service can't help with purchasing merchandise what kind of customer service would they provide if a purchased item was defective?

Original review: May 25, 2016

Just have to vent a moment. In November 2015 our kid was moving unexpectedly from her apartment and in a pinch. She had a place to stay, but nothing to sleep on. We ran down to the local Wal-Mart (sorry, it was late and that's what was open), and bought a Coleman airbed. We got 'home' and the pump was in the box, but not the parts to connect the pump to the bed. Whatever, I run back down to Wal-Mart to exchange it and they would not because of Coleman's policy of 'Do Not Return This Product To The Place Of Purchase' written on a piece of paper INSIDE the box.

I have been dealing with Coleman on and off since then. Sometimes when I have a spare moment I entertain myself by trying to get a Giant Company to make a little problem right by trying to get them to send the stupid plastic parts that connect the pump to the bed or just a new/different pump. Since I paid cash, cannot find the receipt (we were in a bit of a tizzy ya know), and the pump has 2014 stamped on it, even though I purchased it end of 2015, they will not replace anything. Obviously this is a stupid 1st world problem, but you might want to think twice about ever spending any of your hard-earned money with a company who won't correct their oops.

Original review: May 22, 2016

I got my Coleman tent 17 years ago, as a gift from my grandma. Ever since we got this, we use this almost every year during the summer time when we go camping. It is still working fine, no repairs needed. The quality is superb! If you want a tent that lasts for decades, go get a Coleman tent.

Original review: May 20, 2016

We just recently went to the beach and had to bring ice for our beer. I told my friends to just buy in the resort but one of them suggested bringing a Coleman jug instead and buy ice. I wasn't sure about that plan until the next day. We brought 2 big blocks of ice and I thought at first that it won't last long because it was really hot. But boy I was so wrong. The next day, we still have 1 solid ice block. I was really amazed. Didn't think the ice would not melt fast. I will buy my own Coleman jug. It is an amazing problem.

Original review: April 12, 2016

I purchased two sleeping bags at Big 5 store where I live. In addition, I purchased another two bags on Amazon. The zipper on both of the sleeping bags I purchased from the Big 5 are coming off - they weren't sewn properly. I called Coleman customer service and told them I could not find my original receipt, but provided them with all the store information and the purchase order number from my bank statement. They said it would not be a problem.

After going through ALL their return, or exchange steps through email, I'm finally told that NO - they will not honor their warranty. Overall buying all four sleeping bags, I spent over $300.00. I am now returning the bags to Big 5, where they are more than happy to get my receipt from my bank info, and getting my money back. I am also returning my other two bags. I will not support this company by buying their poor quality products and LOUSY customer service ever again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I am so sad that we have such a throw-away society. Why can't replacement parts be made available, but more particularly, why can't things be manufactured to last? I have a Coleman Laurel Creek 6-person tent that has two sets (out of three sets) of poles that are broken. There are NO replacement parts for a perfectly good tent that is only six years old and was used about four times! So now I get to throw it away and fill up a landfill. What an absolute shame. It's a waste of my hard-earned money and a waste of materials. Get some engineers and manufacturers to make a product that lasts! Offer replacements so that a camping trip can be enjoyed! I guess I will have to look for another tent manufacturer.

Original review: July 24, 2015

We used the 8 man fast pitch tent for the 1st time, and thought it was great. Lots of room for two cots (tied together), with a queen air mattress on top. Super comfy with luggage stowed under cots, and two chairs and table set inside as well. The small pole that supports the vestibule (porch) was split however, so we called Coleman when we arrived home. They said that they did not have a replacement part available, as it was a new tent (very strange). We had to return it to Costco, they asked no questions, but they had no tents left. So I gave them back an almost perfectly good tent (I even waxed all the zippers). Now we have no tent, which is OK until next year, but I'm just glad I have no Coleman stock investments.

Original review: July 17, 2015

Bought the Coleman WeatherMaster 10 tent and the entire rainfly leaked, destroying some dried goods and gear I thought were safe inside the tent. After reading all the reviews on this tent which were purchased about the same time as mine, it seems there was a serious factory flaw in China and they forgot to seal the rainfly. Coleman customer support is a JOKE!!! I've supported Coleman since the early 80's and it seems they don't want my business anymore over a product that their Chinese factory screwed up! They have succeeded and I will no longer support or buy from Coleman again!

Original review: June 15, 2015

ColemanCL10 - I purchased this lantern as a gift during the holidays for my daughter for a big camping trip she would be going on. A few days before the trip she bought brand new batteries and opened the brand new product only to find that it flat out DID NOT WORK. New, out of the box and completely useless. The "warranty" takes 7-10 business days plus shipping to be processed, so unless I was willing to pay just under $30 to have it expedited to my house (the lantern is sold for $20), there was "nothing they could do, that's just the process." Unless of course I would pay for it, then suddenly the standard process doesn't apply and they CAN do something. Bottom line, they sold a defective product, and they won't back up their products by shipping it on their tab, leaving me to have to go purchase another lantern for the camping trip while this junk sits in my house. NEVER buying Coleman again.

Original review: May 31, 2015

I wanted to let you know I was going to OBX, N.C. so last minute I went out and purchased your Coleman rooftop carrier. So when I went to put it up top of my traverse I was missing some parts, like the suction cups and the actual straps that come with carrier. So therefore I had to go purchase a pack of ratchet straps to fasten the carrier to my Chevy traverse. I might add I had to stop on the way down like an hour in to my vacation to buy another set of ratchet straps because the carrier letter off about a 45 degrees off the roof my traverse I might add. Also the key did not work also to lock the cap down.

Original review: May 28, 2015

I have always loved the Coleman products we have purchased throughout the years. Until now. About two weeks ago we purchased a Coleman 8 person Blue Springs tent from Bass Pro in Springfield, MO. A few days ago, my husband put the tent up in our back yard, to test it out, because we are getting ready to take a 10 day trip to Colorado. Unfortunately, approximately 4 to 5 hours after my husband put the tent up... as we cleaned out our garage, he looked over and commented that the rain fly was sagging on the front of the tent. When we went to inspect, we found the rain fly pole had snapped and would no longer stay in the grommet. We were shocked. Really? After only being up for a few hours? We had loved the fact that the tent was so roomy and exactly what we wanted. At least we thought that was the case. My husband has put up many tents over the years.

Let me state for the record, this was not a case of the tent being put together improperly. When I called Coleman today, to request a replacement pole, I was told that the replacement kit would not be available until July 18th and would take 7 to 10 business days to ship as well. Today is May 28th. Really? Disappointing. Very. Cannot say that I will recommend this product to anyone. Surprised that Bass Pro would support such a poorly made product. So now we are scrambling to find another tent for our upcoming trip. Annoying and time consuming. We will not encourage our family to buy the tents from Coleman anymore.

Original review: May 1, 2015

Bought a brand new Coleman dual fuel lantern about a year ago for camping. When I first got worked beautifully. Only used twice and noticed it was not working properly so I started to use the expensive Coleman fuel in it with no change. Changed the mantels. No change. So I used for the rest of camping season anyway. When I stored for the winter I drained all the liquid fuel out of it and put away. This April 2015 decided I was gonna fill and get working. I filled it and tried pumping and the pump would not work right after taking the pump out got it to work. When I did finally get to light it had flames coming out where the on off knob is and caught on fire. After a few minutes it went out and didn't try lighting again. I bought Coleman products and never had any complaints until now. For what I paid for this lantern I should have got many years of use out of it but this lantern is junk, junk, junk. I will never buy another one.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2015

Purchased patio furniture set 11 years ago and last week the glass top for the dining table shattered into many very fine pieces. It has an aluminum frame and had a glass top. No one was in the area when it happened. I heard the noise from the front of the house and found the glass had shattered. The table was not being used at the time. It is not exposed to the sun or rain. No reason for it to have failed. The furniture was purchased from Lowe's in Fort Myers. It is 32 inches square by 32 inches tall and has the Coleman tag attached.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2014

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT OR ANY OF THEIR RECHARGEABLE PRODUCTS. I purchased a 4D XPS High Tech LED battery lantern. This came with a rechargeable battery pack ($35.00). I test this lantern battery and the light always came on green (fully charged). The battery does not work and was purchased for emergencies. Called Coleman customer service. The woman said, "You have to charge the battery pack 4 times a year to be effective". Nowhere in the brochure does it state this. The light is green, means fully charged. I purchased a Coleman regular lantern that runs on 4D batteries and it works. Why pay $35.00 at time of purchase only to have to pay again? Buy 4D items only. Consumers beware of rechargeable Coleman products. Do not waste your money. Was going to buy a Coleman stove for emergencies but not now. I am going to the other brands.

Original review: May 24, 2014

I ordered a Coleman Instant Tent -- 8 person -- 10 X 14 tent through Amazon, May 19, 2014, along with the rain fly it listed, and some other items. I received the merchandise on May 21, 2014 and discovered the rain fly was for an 8 person, 8 X 14 tent, and not for the tent I ordered. I was unhappy about this because that specific rain fly was listed as one of the items people order when they order that specific tent.

When I did the research on it, I found out that Coleman offers a rain fly the 10 X 14 tent, but they call it a "rain fly for a 10 person tent." The plot thickens when I looked for the 10 X 14 10 person tent and found that this product does not exist. I then called Amazon to let them know the information was confusing, I was told that the information was not misleading and the information about this rain fly was very unclear. I spoke to the supervisor about this, and when I proceeded in taking her online to show her the inconsistencies, I was disconnected.

Last night, May 22, I went on line to Amazon to let them know I wanted to return the rain fly. They later sent me and e-mail and stated that UPS would be contacting me about a pick up time. I then wrote up an item review of the tent on Amazon, and made clear that my problem was with the rain fly and how the situation was being handled. I also stated that when I was speaking with the supervisor, I was disconnected. Today, May 23, I called the Coleman Company. I had difficulty explaining the problem to her, She seemed distracted, and finally began paying more attention when I pointed this out and asked for a supervisor. When the Coleman Rep asked me for the item number, I looked on my sales receipt and was unable to locate it. When I found it next to the bar code on the factory box, the rep said it was not the right number. I finally located the same number on the shipping box, and she agreed it was the right number, explaining that she had been looking in the wrong place.

The Rep then explained to me, after looking up the item number, that 10 X 14 rain fly specified for the 10 X 14 10 person tent, is really for the 10 X 14, 8 -- person tent, and that the 10 X 14 8 person tent is really a 10 person tent, and that the 10 person tent does not exist. I then requested that the item be ship to me free of charge and that I needed it no later than next Wed. The rep said she did not have the authority in discounting the cost, so I asked again to speak to a supervisor. I was then transferred to supervisor Rick who would only give me his first name, and finally, his employee number. I explained to him the situation, and stated that I should be sent the rain fly at no cost since I had been put to so much trouble, and Coleman could easily fix the problem. Rick stated that it only took him 4 minutes to look up the item, and there was nothing confusing about the information. At this point I checked to see that the conversation was being recorded so that the Coleman managers would have access to the information. He stated it was being recorded.

I then requested again that the fly be mailed at no charge, and Rick stated that he could give me a 30% discount for the rain fly, but that, in order to have the fly by Wednesday, I would have to pay $32.95 for next day shipping. I conceded reluctantly and provided my credit card information. I was also told, at my request, that the recorder would be off during the credit card information, and turned back on afterward. The phone conversation ended about 2:15. At 2:45, the doorbell rang and it was UPS. Although I had not received a call about their arrival, the carrier was there to pick up the 8 X 10 rain fly that wasn't the right size. The UPS driver was very professional, and the tent fly has been shipped back.

Since then, I have received an e-mail from Amazon stating that the item has been refunded. I have received no communication from Coleman. Reflection;

My concern is that neither Amazon nor Coleman was concerned about the misleading information and that the rain fly confusion continues. I was happy that Amazon did respond quickly in refunding the amount for the rain fly, and that they made it possible for me to return the item at no charge to me. In general, my experience with Amazon has been positive, and I plan to review items on their behalf. It remains mystery to me that, in the midst of this confusion about the rain fly, 2 independent retailers are advertising (on Amazon) the correct fitting rain fly (10 X 14) for $135.05 while Coleman only charges $54.99. It is also interesting that the rain fly that fits the 10 X 14 tent is not in the Amazon Prime Plan while the one that does not fit is in the Prime plan. Again, a confusing message.

I might add that Amazon did move quickly in having UPS pick up the item today. My biggest disappointment is with Coleman right now. I just invested over $500 in Coleman equipment yesterday, beyond the price of the tent and the rainfly. I am seriously considering the return of these items, and will not be buying Coleman items in the future. This decision might reverse if I see a change of heart in how Coleman works with the public. I was also disappointed to find that the LX Road trip is one of the items customers have been disappointed with. I just bought one of these. I want Coleman to make it right with me, and to change how they work with the public and advertise their products.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2013

11 years ago we purchased our Coleman outdoor patio table with 6 chairs. The table was tempered glass and suddenly exploded for no reason last Wednesday. Luckily no one was seriously hurt - just some scrapes and cuts. We went online to research this and found over 100 other instances of this same spontaneous shattering glass happening with no recalls. Seriously?! We now have to replace this set, but will never again buy tempered glass.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2013

I need to replace a Coleman Powermate carburetor. Despite my efforts (three times) I am getting the same answer: "Thank you for contacting Coleman. I would be more than happy to assist you today. Unfortunately, this is a licensed item and we will have to refer you to the manufacturer of this item for any assistance." I asked for the manufacturer information – got the same answer three times.

Coleman Company Information