1.17/5
  • 1 star
Based on 78 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

82 Bon-Ton Stores Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I ordered a pocketbook as a gift for a family member, I live in NY and my family member lives in California. I had the product shipped from Bon-Ton directly to my family member in California. My cousin never received the package but I received notification saying it was delivered. I checked with the company and they said it was delivered but in following up the package wasn't signed for by anyone so they either delivered the package to the wrong address or left it outside of the door and someone took it. Twice I have informed Bon-Ton and Comenity of this matter and twice they have rejected my notes and come to the conclusion that they acted correctly in charging me for a package that was never received and never signed for. These are deplorable practices and I would not advise that anyone do business with this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I purchased a MK purse online for my wife that never arrived. I contacted Bon-Ton and they informed me they would have to open an investigation even though I had already done so with FedEx and provided them with the information. Three weeks and five phone calls later I found out they had completed the investigation and contrary to every request for a refund, they shipped me another purse, now several weeks after my wife’s birthday. Since then I have been told they will not refund my money until: 1) I ship back the second purse, 2) They receive the second purse in the warehouse, 3) They receive the second purse in the warehouse and process it in three business days, 4) They receive the second purse in the warehouse and process it in 5-7 business days.

There is no second tier, no supervisor/management. The customer service center has direct contact with, all they can do is email the supervisors and request a call to the customer which I have done a dozen times in the last six weeks and have yet to receive a call from any kind of manager or the legal department who was also emailed via the customer service center to contact me. So it went from extortion since they have my payment and forced another purse I didn’t want on me, to now robbery since they have the purse AND my payment. Literally I get better customer service from the local pizza place. I would be ashamed to work at Bon-Ton. Their online store should be treated like eBay, once you purchase, all bets are off on what/when you get your item and you can guarantee their customer service won’t help you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I usually only use my store cards around the holidays, so I go to make a purchase and find that my account has been deactivated (no account activity since Jan. 17). But in order to use my account, they would need to pull a credit report??? I've never had a late payment- I actually held a zero balance since Feb. 2017. Apparently they weren't making enough in interest from me- so now they won't be making any sales from me either! Customer service lady (standard polite sweet voice) didn't even attempt to transfer me or find a solution... she was perfectly content on just agreeing to close my account and said, "Thank you for shopping with Bon-Ton. You have a nice holiday". No, Maam, I didn't shop with Bon-Ton - that's the point of my call!!!! I give this company a few years until they're out of business.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

BUYER BEWARE. I should have ordered from Macy's as they also had a sale going on their Michael Kors smart watches. However it was slightly cheaper through Bon-Ton. It arrived in the mail on Tuesday. Much to my dismay when I opened the actual box for the watch itself, there was no watch inside. The box was not shrink wrapped. It just had a slipcase on it. The pillow that the watch should have been wrapped around was inside, but no box. I pulled that out and underneath was the charging cord and booklet. I called customer service and they said a replacement would be shipped out once a manager approved it and I would get an email with tracking info. I didn't receive an email so I emailed customer service. I got a response saying it wasn't approved and I would have to contact my bank for a refund!!!

I called customer service back today. They claimed since it weighed the same amount when it was delivered as it did when shipped, that is why they disputed it. I asked how they could verify that a watch was ever in the box when it was packaged before shipping. They didn't know. I asked how much other boxes weighed that contained the same smart watch when shipped. They also didn't know. All they could do was offer me a call back from a manager within TWO DAYS. So now I'm out $230 BECAUSE I WAS SHIPPED AN EMPTY BOX. I should have trusted my gut and never used this stupid company in the first place!!! I will be telling everyone I know to NEVER order from this place. RIDICULOUS! I have never had something like this happen. I would have expected something like this from eBay. Not from a supposed department store! GET IT TOGETHER!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I placed an order by mistake and I sent an email to customer service immediately after. No one replies that, not even a courtesy reply! The next day I called, the agent just said very impatiently, "you only have 90 minutes to cancel your order. If no one saw your email, then there is nothing I can do." Now I have to pay the shipping to return my order. Bon-Ton has the worst customer service. Never buy thing from them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bon-Ton Stores?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Bait and Switch, twice! I purchased a Christmas tree and they told me it was not available. I called and they said it was available. I ordered it again and they said everything was fine. I received another cancellation. Just be careful using this company.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I went online today at Brad deals. While scrolling online I saw where you could purchase (2) cross body bags for $19.94, or $10 a piece. I place the items in my cart and they came up as $12.74 a piece. So I called customer service and I explain to the rep what was going on. She advised me that the price was incorrect and Bon-Ton did not placed the item on the Brad deals website. I asked if I could speak with a manager or supervisor because this was false advertisement. I was advised no supervisor or manager was on duty and that she should take down my information and have a supervisor contact me within 2-3 days. I am very disappointed that a company like Bon-Ton would allow me to make my purchase for the price advertisement.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I ordered a bathing suit top from Carson's and needed to order an additional item to get "free shipping", so ordered a pair of gloves. Two days after placing my order, I was notified, by e-mail, that "due to unforeseen issues" they had canceled the order for the bathing suit top. Two hours after the e-mail was sent out, I called the Customer Service # and told them I didn't want the gloves, if they weren't going to send the bathing suit. I was told that the order was already being processed, so couldn't be changed or canceled. I told them I would just return the gloves and the representative told me that there would be a $8.95 charge for processing the return. Unbelievable! They can cancel an item in my order, but won't allow me to do the same? DON'T ORDER FROM ANY BON-TON STORE, until they are ready to fix their lack of customer service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I will give zero star if I could. I make a order online. It's a Buy Estee Lauder ANR Get One Estee Lauder eye cream for free. And I order an additional eye cream. It is the exactly same thing with the free gift. And actually with this purchase I could choose the Estee Lauder free gift set and 3 free perfume sample. But I forget to choose the 7 pieces gift set and 3 perfume sample. So I contact with the customer service if they can add my free gift on my order after 2 hours I make the order. I was told nothing they can do. I mean I just order it two hours ago. OK that's fine. I would keep my order.

At first I got an email said my order of the eye cream was sent. Couple days later I got another email said the Estee Lauder ANR was sent. The free eye cream gift was be cancelled cause it's out of the stock. So finally I pay both product. The ANR and the eye cream. So where is my free gift? I bought it cause the free eye cream and now they charged the additional eye cream and the ANR and they told me the eye cream was out of stock. But they have it for selling. Is that a trick. Like I said I have eye cream on sell. Buy One Get Ten free. Then a lot of people come to buy it. But they have to pay first. After they pay. I told them the free 10 eye cream was out of stock. But I still have the eye cream for sell. I just don't have enough eye cream for the free gift. Cheating!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I bought a blue sky coat from my daughter, that already has brown stains all over one sleeve when it arrived, wrapped in plastic wrap. It had tags but was stained and the stains are permanent. They want 8.95 to ship back and won't refund initial shipping. It is not worth the money to return. I am sticking with businesses with better return policies when they ship damaged merchandise.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I visited the actual Bon-Ton store which I often do and also spend a lot of money here on 09/17/2017. I went to an associate named Brenna ** to pay off (in full) my Bon-Ton charge of $127.01. She took care of all of that (no problems). I wanted to shop then for some clothes for my husband and some fall decor because it is my FAVORITE time of year!! I found a cute fall pillow that had a $50 ticket on it but the sign said 50% off which would make the pillow $25. Brenna ** scanned my items but realized the pillow wasn't discounted correctly and asked a fellow associate how to fix it. At this point I am very impressed with her. My bill came to $89 and some cents which seemed a little high for the items and sale prices I should have received but thought, "Hmm guess that's right." I went out to my car and looked over the receipt and saw that Brenna ** never took my 50% off my pillow even tho she knew she didn't???

So I went back inside to talk to Brenna ** and even though 5 to 7 minutes had passed acted like this is the first time she saw me. (She has helped me pay my bill and checked my purchases out at this point.) I say very nicely to her, "Are you sure that this is right because it doesn't look like the discount came off of the pillow?" She looks at it then acts all disgusted with me (never apologizing) and says, "WELL DO YOU HAVE THE PILLOW???" I said, "Well yes of course I do, you know that, you just waited on me?" She says very cocky and rude, "WELL I NEED THE PILLOW TO DO THE RETURN!"

At this point I'm still being nice because I am in shock by her bad behavior. I said well, "I don't want to return it, I just want the difference put back on my card that I paid." With a huff she said, "I need to return the pillow then repurchase it. So still nicely ask, "Can we just use one of the pillows over there so I don't have to go back outside?" She says in a huff, "I guess as long as its the same pillow." Ok so I grab one of the pillows we do the return, I think we can just do a "Mock" sale with the pillow that we used for the return then this rude lady says, "OK NOW YOU HAVE TO GO GET THE PILLOW YOU BOUGHT SO I CAN DO THE SALE!"

At this point I was furious with this awful person! I'm thinking this lady has got to be incredibly stupid because if that were the case, why didn't she NICELY tell me that from the beginning? So at this point I am absolutely disgusted with her and the pillow for that matter and I said "you know what, I don't want the pillow at this point." Then this associate says really cocky, "Well you need to go get the pillow anyway." I said, "I'm aware of that" (at this point I despise that pillow and I don't want it anywhere near me cause it would remind me of this ugly inside terrible excuse for a person) so of course I go get the pillow out of my car to return for good and this dumb girl is standing by the inside doors with her hands on her hips like I was gonna steal this stupid pillow.

Ok, so if she really thought I was going to steal the pillow, wouldn't the dummy follow me out to my car to get my license plate # so she would have more evidence against this "Great Pillow Thief." I mean, I'm already on camera in the store, she should know in detail what I look like and what I'm wearing, she has in the system my name address and cc information so what up. Bon-Ton, I beg of you, please teach your associates better customer service skills! This is absolutely unacceptable behavior and she should be ashamed of herself for representing your company and herself in such an ugly unprofessional way! SHAME ON YOU!!

Original review: July 22, 2017

I purchased 4 items from Bon-Ton on 6/24, took them home to try on, they did not fit. On 6/27 went to the South Burlington, VT store to return them only to be told the return was denied. They stated when I made a previous purchase on 5/26 and returned the item 5/27, the cashier advised me of return warning. At no time on 5/27 was I given a verbal warning. I still have my receipt and there is no written warning on it. Had they told me on 5/27, any or all future returns would be denied, I would have closed my account right then and there, so the 6/24 purchase would not of even taken place or any future purchases. I have returned items purchased, whether it was so due to size, comfort, a gift that the person did want, but a majority of them were defected items. However, my "kept" purchases far outweighed any returns since I open my account.

This is a company that I will no longer do business with and I highly recommend to anyone to inquire about your purchase prior to the close of the sale if you think it may need to be returned. I have reached out to the Better Business Bureau with my complaint on 6/28 of which I have to wait until 7/28 to see if they received any response from Bon-Ton. As of 7/20, BBB said they have contacted Bon-Ton on 3 different occasions and have not had any response. I spoke to the cashier on 7/21 when I went to the store to pay the bill in full and she even confirmed that she did not give me any notice and definitely did not verbally state this warning. We generally chat when I have been shopping and she recalled the day I returned the dress 5/27 because I had just purchased the day before. Unfortunately, I am being forced to take action against them in order to resolve this matter. My voice will be heard in my community.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I ordered three shoes from Bon-Ton. One of them was a little too small. I wanted to exchange it for a 7.5. I called customer service and was told that they will ship me a size 7.5 as soon as they receive the size 7 back. I tried to ship it back with the shipping label they had included in the package three times, unsuccessfully. Each time, I had to leave work a little early. I talked to their customer service department three times about this and each time I was assured that the customer service representative before them was an idiot for sending me to FedEx, then to UPS, then to USPS. Finally they realized that they are all idiots and agreed to send me a new shipping label. I shipped the shoe back on my fourth attempt. I was assured that they still had the 7.5 available for me.

Every customer service representative I talked to told me that they had notes in the system stating that the shoe was supposed to be exchanged and not returned. Once they received the shoe back from me, I received an email that they are refunding me the money instead of exchanging it for the 7.5. I called customer service and they told me that they had no 7.5s available. They had sold out the shoe they had promised to ship to me. The had sold the 7.5 that was notated in the system for an exchange for me. They told me that's how they do business. They have no control over their warehouse. They also don't have any manager to address any issues with. I cannot believe someone is doing online business in this manner in the 21st century. Needless to say that I will never order anything from them again.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Placed an order online at 10 am July 7, 2017. Confirmation received July 7, 2017 at 3 pm - order was incorrect. Immediately Called customer service to correct problem and was told that it was too late. Very Dissatisfied! Was told that I would have to wait until it ships approx July 17, 2017 and then return.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I order online a lot. Recently to purchase a mother-of-the-groom dress. Ordered from Penneys, Kohls, Coldwater Creek, and Bon-Ton. Bon Ton is the only store I did not have issues with. Every other store sent evening dresses in plastic bags or tangled up plastic dry cleaning bags. Not on hangers. I would have been forced to have them professionally pressed if I had kept them. Bon Ton was gracious, on time, and the dress came on a hanger, folded professionally, wrapped in tissue and shipped in a cardboard box. It is wonderful to see this level of service still practiced today.

Original review: June 11, 2017

The company is running bait and switch promotional sales without any intention on delivering the products. With the intention that people buy more stuff to activate certain coupons/free shipping. Later the primary product gets cancelled with the bogus claim. In my case they claimed they didn't have the inventory while the item went back in stock for full price in less than a week.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I have ordered three times from Carson Pirie Scott on-line. Two of the times were within the past two months. I returned part of my first order last week. Today I returned some items from the second order because they did not fit. I received a Warning Code in the form of a register slip when I returned today from theretailequation.com a vendor Carson uses to monitor their returns. It states I will not be able to make further receipted or non-receipted returns or exchanges. Store personnel are unable to inform you of the reasons. I called the number on the warning slip and they also told me they cannot tell you the specific reasons, but the representative believed it was because I made two returns in two weeks. He stated I would be able to return after 180 days.

Otherwise if I attempt to make another return, it will be rejected and I will be stuck with the merchandise whether I am happy with it or not. It will not matter if I have the receipt or not. This is a result of two back to back returns. He gave me a number for their corporate offices. The person at corporate told me it was the decision of The Retail Equation and they have to abide by that. I could file an appeal for that decision if I would like. Seriously?! An appeal - I will file an appeal for property taxes, but for a bogus return policy at a store is ridiculous. Nevertheless, Carson has just lost a customer who was planning on shopping at their stores and website more often because of this insane policy.

Original review: March 28, 2017

This was the worst experience ever! I ordered a body cream and had two day shipping paid extra. It never came, I called and they "re-ordered" it. Still never came. I called again and the lady said they never re-ordered it and that she would submit again. Turns out they never even had the product... BS.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Have never dealt with a company that advertises items at a price of $49.97 on CLEARANCE, and you order it and then get an email that says "Not available." Week later it's back online advertised for $150.00. Order it and get an email "Not available." Call Customer Service and they DON'T CARE. I will not purchase from Bon-Ton again. And merchandise that I did receive is getting RETURNED. And they can stop sending their rewards coupons to me. Been a Macy's customer for years and this has never happened to me.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I placed an order for a Michael Kors bag. Once everything was completed the system said "order processing error". Contact credit issuing company. I tried to place the order again. Same message. The Bon Ton is taking the money out of my account but no order. Called credit card company they said it is the store. Called the store they said it's credit card company. Called customer service they refuse to remove the charges knowing no order was placed. Don't do any business with this company.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

I bought a pair of NYDJ. It took 3 weeks to arrive. The fit was kind of funky for NYDJ and it looked like someone sewed a NYDJ tag in it. So I paid $8 to send it back. Three weeks later and no refund and then I got a pkg back from them in an extremely dusty bag which was odd. I opened it and there was a note in it that said "We don't carry Clarissa brand." I bought NYDJ not Clarissa! They sent me back a pair that had a Clarissa label and also had a reddish tea looking stain on the waistband. These were not the jeans I bought. I called BonTon and waited 28 mins. Rachel answered and after waiting for her computer to unlock for another 20 mins. she said someone would get back to me by email but she could not refund my money $81.99. I have not heard back from them at this writing. OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I purchased a vaporizer at Carson's in Matteson Il. After my funds were cleared for payment the cash register failed to issue a receipt. The machine then froze. The cashier explained that the funds had cleared and it failed to print receipt. After waiting for an hour or more... the manager told me that I would have to repay for the item if I wanted to purchase it again. I showed her where it had came out of my account and the item had already been paid for. Well she insisted that it could not be verified because she didn't have time to check it out. She also stated that if I call my bank they would stop the first payment! So now the responsibility lies on me because of them being inept! I had to wait almost 10 days before I could call my bank to have this temporarily placed back in my account.

The customer service is terrible in this store. I had no receipt... my money was taken and there was no way for them to check to see purchases made and accepted on the register! Once the machine was back up and running... still no apology and no effort to search for my purchase. The cashier also explained that my money was accepted and the receipt just didn't print. But no the manager said if I want it I would have to repay! Won't be going there again... That could easily happen again... Customer service is not good at the management level... That is something that trickles down.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I called Bon Ton... on hold for 25 minute. I received a pair of jean with warning sensor attached to them. I was put on hold twice by a Vicki. Finally after 25 minute a Elaine picked up the phone. I will never order from this store again. They cannot help you, this their fault, but they want me to return the item. It's Christmas. My grandchild will not get this item until after X'mas. Poor service.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

Today I called to attempt to cancel an order and waited on hold for over 30 minutes. I had placed the order less than 3.5 hours before my call. I spoke with "Lucy" who told me she could not cancel my order nor did she have a supervisor or manager I could speak with. She has one alright, but he wouldn't come to the phone as she went off to talk to him. They also state on their website they will not charge your CC until the order ships which is a lie - they charge it immediately. These operation is run by horrid people. I've ordered product from many different companies online over the years online and I have never dealt with such completely unprofessional people in my life. STAY AWAY from these unscrupulous shysters. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company.

I will be filing an FCC complaint against this company. That's how badly I think it's run. I suggest you do, too, so their site is closed down for good. Go to FCC dot GOV to file your complaint. After seeing there are literally hundreds of complaints here, something needs to be done to get this company out of business. You can help. File an FCC complaint. Help stop bad businesses from ruining the Internet.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Received an invoice for a bill that I never received. Called customer service. They could not explain what the bill was for. Very upset with the way things are handled. I have been a customer for 45 years and have never had a problem before. Please call me at ** to discuss this matter.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

I order women clothing from Bon Ton. Most of the item were return because the material was of poor quality. I kept two top and worn both, once and the seam were ripped and they were too big. DO NOT BUY THEIR CLOTHING. MADE IN CHINA.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

My order was damaged in shipping, which by the way took 10 days! When I contacted customer service there was a 30 minute wait to speak to someone. They did not offer to send out a replacement, they just offered a $5.00 credit. I never received the credit and I have contacted them 4 times regarding this. They blame my credit card company (Amex) for not issuing the credit back to my card. They claim there is no supervisor to speak to. I have also tried to email them, but no response. I will never shop from this company again! Worst experience ever.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

Had a problem with a online order. Tried to reach by phone, after 52 minutes [I was on hold for 35 minutes, even if the message said it would only to be a 4 minutes wait]. They told me they could not fix the problem. Asked to talk to a supervisor, was told no supervisor was there. Total waste of my time. Will never order online from them again. So very dissatisfied with the experience. Wish it had a choice for a no star rating.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I think people on here doing reviews are mistakenly blaming customer service for problems with the warehouse/shipping. I've bought 6 different items online from Bon Ton and I've called in to order and with questions each time. Customer Service each and every time has been outstanding. So please don't blame issues with shipping on the customer service people. It's the WAREHOUSE.

That being said, I've had problems since May with both ordering on the website and the warehouse shipping the wrong items, leaving an item out of a shipment, or slow shipping. That is the fault of the warehouse, NOT customer service. I want to be very clear on that because the customer service folks are the ones who really helped when there was a problem.

I have not been able to order on the website since May because it keeps giving me an error with my address - and I've used 3 different addresses. Very, very frustrating to have to call in every time to place an order. They say the website will be fixed soon, but it's halfway through September and still having a problem. Please fix this.

Second problem is that the warehouse ships the wrong thing, ships late, packages items poorly, or leaves items out of an order. Every single time it is something. This again is not the fault of customer service. Customer Service is the only group of people who have been able to help when there is a problem. I like the quality of items on Bon Ton's site, but I hope they resolve the website issues and the warehouse issues VERY quickly or they will lose customers. Customer Service folks again have been outstanding and helpful to resolve issues. Those fantastic customer service people are the reason I keep coming back despite the other problems.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

NO STAR AT ALL!!! I ordered a Coach billfold, $100, for my daughter's birthday and did so 8 days before her birthday. I also went ahead and paid the 2 day shipping to make sure she received it on time. Since I have never ordered from this store before I also called to confirm when the delivery would be made. They told me by Friday, great her birthday is on Saturday. Well here we are on Monday, called them again only to find out it still has not shipped!!! Was told it could take 10-11 days to be processed!!! I am beyond frustrated by this company and think they offer such poor customer service. This was a first and last order for me with Bon Ton due to their poor customer service.

Bon-Ton Stores Company Information