Bon-Ton Stores

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have ordered three times from Carson Pirie Scott on-line. Two of the times were within the past two months. I returned part of my first order last week. Today I returned some items from the second order because they did not fit. I received a Warning Code in the form of a register slip when I returned today from theretailequation.com a vendor Carson uses to monitor their returns. It states I will not be able to make further receipted or non-receipted returns or exchanges. Store personnel are unable to inform you of the reasons. I called the number on the warning slip and they also told me they cannot tell you the specific reasons, but the representative believed it was because I made two returns in two weeks. He stated I would be able to return after 180 days.

Otherwise if I attempt to make another return, it will be rejected and I will be stuck with the merchandise whether I am happy with it or not. It will not matter if I have the receipt or not. This is a result of two back to back returns. He gave me a number for their corporate offices. The person at corporate told me it was the decision of The Retail Equation and they have to abide by that. I could file an appeal for that decision if I would like. Seriously?! An appeal - I will file an appeal for property taxes, but for a bogus return policy at a store is ridiculous. Nevertheless, Carson has just lost a customer who was planning on shopping at their stores and website more often because of this insane policy.

This was the worst experience ever! I ordered a body cream and had two day shipping paid extra. It never came, I called and they "re-ordered" it. Still never came. I called again and the lady said they never re-ordered it and that she would submit again. Turns out they never even had the product... BS.

Have never dealt with a company that advertises items at a price of $49.97 on CLEARANCE, and you order it and then get an email that says "Not available." Week later it's back online advertised for $150.00. Order it and get an email "Not available." Call Customer Service and they DON'T CARE. I will not purchase from Bon-Ton again. And merchandise that I did receive is getting RETURNED. And they can stop sending their rewards coupons to me. Been a Macy's customer for years and this has never happened to me.

I placed an order for a Michael Kors bag. Once everything was completed the system said "order processing error". Contact credit issuing company. I tried to place the order again. Same message. The Bon Ton is taking the money out of my account but no order. Called credit card company they said it is the store. Called the store they said it's credit card company. Called customer service they refuse to remove the charges knowing no order was placed. Don't do any business with this company.

I bought a pair of NYDJ. It took 3 weeks to arrive. The fit was kind of funky for NYDJ and it looked like someone sewed a NYDJ tag in it. So I paid $8 to send it back. Three weeks later and no refund and then I got a pkg back from them in an extremely dusty bag which was odd. I opened it and there was a note in it that said "We don't carry Clarissa brand." I bought NYDJ not Clarissa! They sent me back a pair that had a Clarissa label and also had a reddish tea looking stain on the waistband. These were not the jeans I bought. I called BonTon and waited 28 mins. Rachel answered and after waiting for her computer to unlock for another 20 mins. she said someone would get back to me by email but she could not refund my money $81.99. I have not heard back from them at this writing. OUTRAGEOUS!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bon-Ton Stores?

I purchased a vaporizer at Carson's in Matteson Il. After my funds were cleared for payment the cash register failed to issue a receipt. The machine then froze. The cashier explained that the funds had cleared and it failed to print receipt. After waiting for an hour or more... the manager told me that I would have to repay for the item if I wanted to purchase it again. I showed her where it had came out of my account and the item had already been paid for. Well she insisted that it could not be verified because she didn't have time to check it out. She also stated that if I call my bank they would stop the first payment! So now the responsibility lies on me because of them being inept! I had to wait almost 10 days before I could call my bank to have this temporarily placed back in my account.

The customer service is terrible in this store. I had no receipt... my money was taken and there was no way for them to check to see purchases made and accepted on the register! Once the machine was back up and running... still no apology and no effort to search for my purchase. The cashier also explained that my money was accepted and the receipt just didn't print. But no the manager said if I want it I would have to repay! Won't be going there again... That could easily happen again... Customer service is not good at the management level... That is something that trickles down.

I called Bon Ton... on hold for 25 minute. I received a pair of jean with warning sensor attached to them. I was put on hold twice by a Vicki. Finally after 25 minute a Elaine picked up the phone. I will never order from this store again. They cannot help you, this their fault, but they want me to return the item. It's Christmas. My grandchild will not get this item until after X'mas. Poor service.

Today I called to attempt to cancel an order and waited on hold for over 30 minutes. I had placed the order less than 3.5 hours before my call. I spoke with "Lucy" who told me she could not cancel my order nor did she have a supervisor or manager I could speak with. She has one alright, but he wouldn't come to the phone as she went off to talk to him. They also state on their website they will not charge your CC until the order ships which is a lie - they charge it immediately. These operation is run by horrid people. I've ordered product from many different companies online over the years online and I have never dealt with such completely unprofessional people in my life. STAY AWAY from these unscrupulous shysters. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company.

I will be filing an FCC complaint against this company. That's how badly I think it's run. I suggest you do, too, so their site is closed down for good. Go to FCC dot GOV to file your complaint. After seeing there are literally hundreds of complaints here, something needs to be done to get this company out of business. You can help. File an FCC complaint. Help stop bad businesses from ruining the Internet.

Received an invoice for a bill that I never received. Called customer service. They could not explain what the bill was for. Very upset with the way things are handled. I have been a customer for 45 years and have never had a problem before. Please call me at ** to discuss this matter.

I order women clothing from Bon Ton. Most of the item were return because the material was of poor quality. I kept two top and worn both, once and the seam were ripped and they were too big. DO NOT BUY THEIR CLOTHING. MADE IN CHINA.

My order was damaged in shipping, which by the way took 10 days! When I contacted customer service there was a 30 minute wait to speak to someone. They did not offer to send out a replacement, they just offered a $5.00 credit. I never received the credit and I have contacted them 4 times regarding this. They blame my credit card company (Amex) for not issuing the credit back to my card. They claim there is no supervisor to speak to. I have also tried to email them, but no response. I will never shop from this company again! Worst experience ever.

Had a problem with a online order. Tried to reach by phone, after 52 minutes [I was on hold for 35 minutes, even if the message said it would only to be a 4 minutes wait]. They told me they could not fix the problem. Asked to talk to a supervisor, was told no supervisor was there. Total waste of my time. Will never order online from them again. So very dissatisfied with the experience. Wish it had a choice for a no star rating.

I think people on here doing reviews are mistakenly blaming customer service for problems with the warehouse/shipping. I've bought 6 different items online from Bon Ton and I've called in to order and with questions each time. Customer Service each and every time has been outstanding. So please don't blame issues with shipping on the customer service people. It's the WAREHOUSE.

That being said, I've had problems since May with both ordering on the website and the warehouse shipping the wrong items, leaving an item out of a shipment, or slow shipping. That is the fault of the warehouse, NOT customer service. I want to be very clear on that because the customer service folks are the ones who really helped when there was a problem.

I have not been able to order on the website since May because it keeps giving me an error with my address - and I've used 3 different addresses. Very, very frustrating to have to call in every time to place an order. They say the website will be fixed soon, but it's halfway through September and still having a problem. Please fix this.

Second problem is that the warehouse ships the wrong thing, ships late, packages items poorly, or leaves items out of an order. Every single time it is something. This again is not the fault of customer service. Customer Service is the only group of people who have been able to help when there is a problem. I like the quality of items on Bon Ton's site, but I hope they resolve the website issues and the warehouse issues VERY quickly or they will lose customers. Customer Service folks again have been outstanding and helpful to resolve issues. Those fantastic customer service people are the reason I keep coming back despite the other problems.

NO STAR AT ALL!!! I ordered a Coach billfold, $100, for my daughter's birthday and did so 8 days before her birthday. I also went ahead and paid the 2 day shipping to make sure she received it on time. Since I have never ordered from this store before I also called to confirm when the delivery would be made. They told me by Friday, great her birthday is on Saturday. Well here we are on Monday, called them again only to find out it still has not shipped!!! Was told it could take 10-11 days to be processed!!! I am beyond frustrated by this company and think they offer such poor customer service. This was a first and last order for me with Bon Ton due to their poor customer service.

I ordered a top which was in stock. It did not ship out until 4 days later and that is with the ShopRunner 2 day delivery. When I called to cancel the order they could not cancel an order 90 minutes after it has been placed. I even said it was not yet prepared for shipping how could I not cancel. They said it was their policy and could not. I was speaking to someone who was working from home so he could not even transfer me to his manager. No one was able to help at all.

I can't even give this place one star! I placed an online order (for a pair of shoes I couldn't find anywhere else and for a skirt) with Bon Ton Stores, Inc. on 8/18/16. After a difficult time in ordering online - when I would click submit order button, the website said there was a problem with my credit card, so I clicked again and again to receive the same message. Then I thought something might be wrong with my card so I tried another card - again, same message.

I finally called the customer care center and after about 45 minutes on the phone with them, I was able to place my order. I checked my credit card statements and saw that there were 3 pending charges for $104.03 on one card and one pending charge of $104.03 on the other. The total of my order was $104.03, so I was confused as to why there were 4 holds on my cards for the total amount of the order. I called Bon Ton and was told the pending charges would "fall off" of my cards automatically.

On 8.23.16 I noticed on Bon Ton website that the skirt I ordered had shipped. I checked my credit cards again and now there was a processed charge of $40+ on one card in addition to the 3 pending charges for $104.03 as well as another pending charge on my other card of $104.03. I never received an email from Bon Ton about my skirt having been shipped. I called Bon Ton again to inquire about the pending charges and got a customer service representative who was less than helpful and less than courteous who gave me the number for Bon Ton credit card department who could certainly fix my problem. I called that department and was told they have nothing to do with outside card companies, so this was a complete waste of time.

I then was transferred to another representative who told me all about how she used to work in a bank, etc. and how Bon Ton couldn't do anything with pending charges but my bank could. I was doubtful, but decided to hang up with her and call my two credit card companies who both told me they couldn't do anything with pending charges until after they processed and were "hard" charges on my card and then I could dispute them and if I won my dispute, then they could reverse the charge. So basically I have $416.03 worth of holds on my credit cards for a $104.03 order. But wait, it gets better - so since the skirt shipped, I was charged for it $40.29 (a processed "hard" charge to my card) - that's fine assuming I really receive my skirt. I have my doubts now that I've read more reviews, but we will see.

The order for my shoes (which was the item I originally wanted and only added the skirt to my order to receive free shipping) was canceled - this I found out on 8.24.16 after again logging onto Bon Ton's website and checking my order status. The order now showed as "complete" since one item had shipped and the other canceled. I never received an email from Bon Ton about them canceling my shoe order. I again checked my credit card websites to check on the pending charges, and yes, they are still there despite my order being complete and my card being charged for the shipped skirt. Shouldn't the pending charges "fall off" of my cards? I would think so, but they are still there meaning my money is still tied up for no reason now since they've already processed the charge of $40.29 for my skirt.

The customer service representative I spoke with on 8.24.16 told me she was a supervisor who was just answering phones due to high call volume and that there is nothing Bon Ton could do on their end to help me out. She unlike the others I had previously spoken to at least apologized, but still said their hands were tied and I was out of luck as far as getting access to my full credit line on my cards. I have spent a total of about 3 hours on the phone dealing with this mess (not including the time spent writing this review but 3 hours on the phone with Bon Ton and my credit card companies and on hold - I held on for about 12 minutes on 8.24.16 only not to mention other long holds during this whole process).

I am beyond frustrated by this company and think they offer such poor customer service. This was a first and last order for me with Bon Ton due to their poor customer service. I hope that someone reads this review as well as others posted before ordering from Bon Ton Stores, Inc. I just want the pending charges taken off of my cards so that I again have access to the full funds available on my credit cards. Just be careful and don't click the submit order button more than once or you'll get "pinged" for each attempt thereby deducting your available credit on your card.

I can't even give this merchant one star for the incredibly horrible customer service I received from them following multiple calls over a period of weeks talking to different representatives. The gift I ordered for my son was left (by UPS) in an unsecured lobby of an apartment building. It was never received. I talked to UPS officials and to Bon-Ton, who had arranged the delivery. Neither would take responsibility for the missing package. Eventually, my credit card company reimbursed me for the "lost" item. Bon-Ton is worthless when it comes to customer complaints and offers nothing for the loss of a purchase that is never received. I guess my $30.00 purchase has cost them more in the long run since I will never buy anything from them again!

The item was delivered in wrong place and didn't refund my money. I called the associate to change the delivery address but she said she can't and the manager is not willing to return my money also. I called them many times and spend more than 1 hour.

The Bon Ton deserves some positive reviews to compare with the negatives I'm reading. Yes, they could use some work on the online ordering and the coupon end of things but the associates in the local stores that I've visited are all generally very friendly and helpful. At the registers, they always take the time to figure out which coupons will save me the most money. As a whole, the Bon Ton coupons can be very annoying and frustrating but when you learn how to shop with them - you get some incredible deals. I've learned to not even try to use the $10 off of $10 coupon on a Door Buster/Bonus Buy advertised weekend unless I just happen to come across something. The best time to shop is during these Door Buster weekends with your Rewards Coupons since they work on nearly everything! I got my boyfriend a Calvin Klein leather coat for $13 because of shopping with Rewards Cards!

I have had two minor issues with online orders but they were all resolved rather quickly. One being a pair of clearance shoes that I purchased was canceled but that's because they also use their brick and mortar stores as inventory and fulfill orders from the stores. Sometimes, the product gets purchased in the store before the online order is received. Other times, the store is unable to fulfill the order due to theft or a damaged item that hasn't been entered into the computer system yet. Another time, I didn't one of the shirts I had ordered for my brother but I had ordered multiple of the same Gold Toe undershirts. They fixed it in a reasonable time but it did take 10 days to process and ship the new shirt out.

I was a long time customer of Bon Ton but too often fell for the coupon fraud. They send out a beautiful flyer with coupons and offers to bring you to the store. Once there you soon find that everything in the store is a doorbuster or incredible value. Your coupons are useless. Someone should investigate the sleazy methods they use. I do like their merchandise but I cannot condone the bait and no coupon works tactic. I do feel bad for the employees as they take the brunt of customer annoyance. All the reviews are very negative.

When I was in the Westfield, Mass Bon Ton store recently, I was in to pay my mom's bill. That was fine, and I normally have good times shopping there, even though it's not much at all. I looked around and found two cute tops. I went to check out, and the woman who was ringing my purchase asked me if I wanted a credit card. I said no, and she kept going, "Did you know you'll save this much?" I work in retail. I ask about credit cards, too. I stop at that if they still say no. This woman was relentless. I must have said no 6 or 7 times after that, and she was getting on my last nerve.

I was pressured into saying yes, and I wanted to complain to the manager about her so bad. I will soon, but her lack of respect for me, in conjunction with how many times I had to say no until I gave up, was just unnecessary. She was so unprofessional, and I am going to give up my card because I didn't want one in the first place. I then wanted to pay with my debit, but without asking, she scanned the credit card slip, even though I had my debit out already. This should not happen anywhere, and I was and still am so angry that this happened. I don't plan on shopping there again. All because of how I was treated the last time I was there.

I purchased a pair of boots in-store approximately 1 hour from my home. Three days later, went to wear the boots only to discover that one was 8 wide and the other 7.5 regular. I called the Younkers Store where I purchased them, asking them to look for the "other 8 wide" needed. They returned my call a couple hours later and said they did not have it. I then contacted customer service to see what my options were. They said they would email me a "mailing slip" and to return both boots, along with a copy of the receipt and an explanation of the situation. I did exactly what they asked and sent them. It took 2 weeks & I received an email 3/4/16 that my return had been received and to track its progress, it provided the number 999999999 to track it. I gave it 11 days, thinking they would maybe have sent the new boots out, I tried to use the link and tracking number, only to have it not work.

On 3/14/16, I emailed customer service, attached their "received your package and use this tracking number" email, and told them the number would not work, and, to please provide me with information about my return. They emailed back, asking for an order number. I emailed back, that there was no order number, but, an in-store purchase and again, asked for help. I waited approximately 2 weeks. Nothing back. I then CALLED customer service and talked to a supervisor, Andrea. She told me, "Oh, here it is..." The account was credited in March for a pair of boots that were not the BOC brand I had returned. Then, after me insisting that I do not have a credit to my account, she was like, "Oh, yeah, I see that this isn't you... this is another party that they issued the 'generic 999999999' tracking number to." She assured me she would take care of it with corporate.

Another 2 weeks went by, nothing. I called again, and this time was told Andrea was off and that Tina, the supervisor, would help me. She asked that I forward the email correspondence to Bon Ton to her attention. I did this. She said she saw them, and, to give her 2 days and she would have an answer for me. The next day, I received an email from Bon Ton customer service saying they did not know "why I sent the emails to Attn: Tina" and that they see that I had received a credit 4/7 to my account clearing up this issue. I immediately looked up my account. Yup, NO credit!

I emailed them an explanation that this had better get taken care of, and that Tina AND Andrea, both "supervisors" know the entire story, and, NEED to FIX this! That was 1 week ago... NOTHING! I am so tired of this. Both times I spoke to the 2 supervisors, I was made out to be "making it up." They told me that there was no record of the return. Uh... what about the shipping label and the email saying my return had been received?!? It is $34.99... NOT a $50,000 car! FIX THIS, BON TON!

I purchased a pair of Lakopa riding boots that were on sale for $19.99 from bonton.com as well as a Calvin Klein dress on 02/12/16. I received the dress on 02/16/16. I checked the status of the boots the next day and it stated it had already been delivered. I contacted bonton.com customer service and a trace request was entered on 02/17/16. I was told it could take 5-7 days to complete the request and have my boots reshipped. I called back on 02/22/16 and was told it would take up to 3 weeks for a trace request and to dispute the charges with my credit card company.

I decided to call the courier who delivered the item which was FedEx. It was discovered by FedEx on 02/23/16 that the packaged was delivered to the wrong address and I was told to contact the merchant for a refund/reship. Bonton.com continued to say it would take up to 3 weeks for results. I called today, 2 days shy of 3 weeks, and still no results. The season for wearing these boots are almost over and the csr told me they wouldn't be able to reship because the boot is no longer in stock. She stated a refund should be processed by the end of the week. I don't know if they are planning on doing that but I know I am planning on NEVER ordering from bonton.com AGAIN.

I purchased a bedding collection and only received 4 pieces instead of the collection. I have a copy of the original web page that shows what the collection included 13 pieces. When I wrote Bon-Ton they said they reviewed my complaint and I was wrong and got what I ordered. Then they changed the web page after my complaint. I can't return the item because there is no store in Florida. They want me now to pay to send it back. Fraudulent. Poor advertisement... bait and switch sale techniques. I spent $240 and will NEVER buy from Bon-Ton.

This past week I had 2- $20 reward cards and a $50 off of $100 merchandise coupon. Long story short I spent $160 and was not able to use any of my coupons. This is not the first time this has happened. There are so many exclusions that I do not want to try to use this program any more.

I ordered a platter in early December as a Christmas gift. When it arrived it was broken. I contacted company and requested to send it back. At this point they were helpful and courteous. Requested that they reorder item. Said it was in stock and would be no problem. 2 weeks later recalled. Apologetic that they hadn't done anything. Recalled again 3 weeks later. Snippy and nasty and said they couldn't help me. Still no resolution. Won't deal with them ever again!

The same thing happened to me as I have read has happened to many others. After ordering an item online receiving it and deciding it was not the quality I expected, I drove 20 miles to our local Carson's to return. Same as others, I had the receipt and original packaging. The register spit out a printout stating that my return was declined. In the midst of my humiliation I asked for a reason why and was told that I had to call The Retail Equation for an explanation, that it was out of their hands. I called them today, and they could give me no reason for being declined except that I may have had too many in the last few months.

There is a reason I have had numerous returns. Short reason -- trying to find winter coat, boots, shoes, etc. for my 89-year old mother who is now living with me. Took 4 tries to finally find a coat that she like and it fit. Same thing with shoes. Of course no one asked me why I have had so many returns lately, but honestly should it matter? Is there a limit to how many returns we can make? Due to this incident, Carson's has lost a very good customer -- I will NEVER shop there again.

I have made 27 online purchases (134 items) from Carsons.com since Thanksgiving 2015, as well as numerous in-store purchases. Of those purchases, I returned approximately 8 items to my local store for various reasons (didn't fit, damaged, etc) all with the original packing slip and on-line receipt. Suddenly the register decides that I have returned too many items and that I am not longer able to make further returns.

The store manager blames it on a consulting company saying that she has no choice in the matter. Suddenly she is quoting the fine print on the back of their receipts saying that they can deny any return for any reason. When I pointed out that the website does not supply those receipts, she claims that the website and the store are totally separate entities and have nothing to do with each other. I shop at Carsons.com rather than Amazon or others because they have a brick and mortar presence and was told that I could make any returns directly to the store. Carson's better get their act together or I will not be the last customer that they lose.

I'm not sure WHO to really complain about - Bon Ton or FedEx which is how they chose to ship my package. I placed an order on December 8, today is December 22. It was shipped from Lancaster, PA to Albany, NY (a 5 hour ride) on December 9 and I still have no package. Tracking says pending. It seems to have taken a tour of the northeast. I will not order from Bon Ton again and I called and left a complaint with Customer Service that they should fire FedEx as their carrier. Wanted the boots to wear on Christmas Eve and now I am going out shopping because they are nowhere to be found!

I purchased an robe and cosmetics from the website. The package arrived, however, when I opened the package, I was shocked and dismayed to discover that the robe was just thrown into the bag. No plastic bag covering the robe not even tissue paper. The cosmetic box was opened and just thrown into the bag with a second thought. Carson's, how in hell would you like receiving such poorly packaged goods. I spend my hard earned money and your employees don't give a damn how they package the items. NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. WILL TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

Bon-Ton Stores Company Profile