Geek Squad

Geek Squad

3.6/5 (1205 ratings)

About Geek Squad

Geek Squad Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Geek Squad?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Best Buy?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2007

I took my Dell laptop in to Best Buy's Geek Squad because of multiple problems. Left with Geek Squad after explanation. After initial diagnosis, they informed me that I had a virus that had wrapped itself around a system file, and they would have to reload my operating system. I knew as recently as two days before that my operating system disk was in the D drive. When I informed them of this, they said it was not there and they couldn't find it. Then I paid over $450 for them to do the above and install Spy Sweeper and an antivirus program. I asked them to only save my Excel and email info. When I picked up the computer, it was running slower and the built-in mouse was not functioning properly, while it was working when I took it in.

The night before my fourth physical visit I discovered that my PCMCIA card was missing. I just about lost it. I went in the next day and asked to see the service manager. He met me at the service counter, and in the presence of one of the robotic geeks, I explained the whole sad story. He then checked the computer and experienced all the things I was complaining about, and suggested to the geek that it may need to be cleaned. I then left for the fourth time, to return later that day to retrieve it.

I got the same robotic response every time I went. There was absolutely no concern, compassion or customer service. I am now out the money and have a missing disc and PCMCIA card. This was one of the most nightmarish experiences I have had recently. I will never darken the door to Best Buy again.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2007

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer on March 9, 2007 for personal, at-home use. I also purchased an extended service plan. I purchased it at Best Buy in Trumbull, CT. The computer was working beautifully. The laptop cost me $699; the extended service plan was $129.99. Four weeks ago, I took it out of the drawer I keep it in and opened it up to find the LCD monitor screen seemingly fractured internally. I had never dropped it, nor used it carelessly. There is not one single mark on the entire case. No scratch, no bump, nothing to indicate the cause of this damage. I brought it back to Best Buy, thinking it should be fully warranteed especially since it was just under six months old (when I brought it in) AND I had purchased the extended service plan. I received a call several days ago from Agent Knoxson at Geek Squad telling me it was not covered at all and the cost would be $591 to replace the monitor. Apparently, no one believed that I had not damaged my computer myself. For $591.00 I could buy another laptop ! But that isnt why I'm writing to you. I researched on-line and found that a laptop monitor could be purchased for $220; two of my sons are computer techs and either could do the labor. I also knew I could thus cancel the extended service plan I purchased; after all, I certainly did not need it now. My plan states that this can be done at any Best Buy store. So on Wednesday, October 3, 2007, I went to Best Buy to do so. After much argument with Customer Service, I went home without my refund. The employees were not familiar with refunding for a service plan and told me I'd have to do this by mail (which is not true). I then telephoned Best Buy intending to speak with a manager. I found myself connected with the same clerk I had spoken to. He apologized to me, stating that he had been wrong and that I could indeed cancel the service plan at the store. His name was Steve. I returned on March 5, 2007 expecting to be treated correctly and either get my refund or have my checking account credited with the amount I was due. However, Best Buy refuses to give me a refund or to credit my account. I am entitled to approximately $100 refunded on the price of the two year service plan. Best Buy refuses to give me anything but store credit. This is not acceptable to me. I used my debit card to pay for the laptop and for the service plan. I have no need for store credit. It's unlikely I will ever shop there again. Additionally, my service plan does not state I have to accept store credit. It says refund. I am a 53-year-old widow disabled from multiple sclerosis; in all actuality, I have just given Best Buy $699 for absolutely nothing in return. I have no working laptop and no refund. In order for me to repair the computer, I need money. I feel I am being treated unfairly, possibly illegally. Certainly "customer service" is an incorrect term. Dis-service is more accurate.

I live on a small fixed income; so far, I haven't gotten my money back. I'm still fighting.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2007

This is the status and what appears to be a dead end regarding this issue as Best Buy successfully stalled to allow the warrantee to expire. Since August I have been dealing with this. To date I have written over 7 letters to the State of Tennessee regarding this issue. The computer is back in my possession and still is not working. The computer continues to freeze up; the screen is working ok now. I contacted the Geek Squad's main headquarters in August in an attempt to locate my computer and to find out what is the problem. Per the main office at the Geek Squad, there is and has been no record of my computer ever being serviced. There is no record despite my invoices from the Geek Squad of any repairs being done on my computer; the invoice numbers dont even show on record. Now, after all these attempts Best Buy/Geek Squad has advised me that they will no longer service my computer as the warrantee has expired on it. Again, I wrote the State of Tennessee regarding this with no reply received. Now I am stuck with a computer that I paid almost 1,600.00 for it and it does not work properly, is very undependable, and I will have to pay to have it fixed. On the 5 October 2007 I received a letter from the State of Tennessee advising me that there is nothing they can do. One letter from Best Buy dated 21 August states that it was fixed and returned, nothing else. There was no mention of Best Buy refusing to service the computer and delaying service to have the warranty expire, there was no mention that now Best Buy has never fixed the computer and now won't service it even though it has been failing since it broke about 2 months after it was purchased. Best Buy sold me a computer that failed 2 months after it was purchased, I made 8 stops by the store, the computer still is not fixed, and now they won't service it because they delayed the repairs until after the manufactures warranty expired. BEWARE OF BEST BUY! There are clearly many unanswered questions and what appears to be fraud on the part of Best Buy and the Geek Squad.

I'm out a $1560.00 computer, lost over $6000 income, 26 hours drive time from home to Best Buy, and time attempting to resolve issue--weeks!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2007

My Compaq Presario PC with Windows Vista keeps becoming unstable. I can't download Windows Updates and I have gotten blue screened twice. I brought it to Geek Squad after the first time it wouldn't allow me to download updates and paid EXTRA for Geek Squad to fix that. Apparently, they took my money for doing nothing, because the computer is acting as weird as before. Geek Squad (and Best Buy, for that matter) NEVER pick up their phones. The way they handle customers is a glaring disgrace!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2007

Recently, the Geek Squad did a very poor job of installing software and hardware onto my home computer. As a result, the computer is now unusable. Geek Squad refuses to make fixing their mistakes a priority, and has informed me that I will have to wait weeks for a service person to return to my house. I then informed them that I would not pay for this installation, because it was not properly done the first time, and since the store would not correct the problem in a timely manner, then I was not going to pay for the installation. One of the store managers insisted that I did have to pay for the installation, whether it was done properly or not.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2007

I purchased an LCD monitor from Best Buy along with a 2 year warranty plan. Within a year my monitor stopped working so I took it in to Best Buy in Castleton and dropped it off at the Geed Squad repair center on March 30th 2007. I was expecting that I would hear something about the monitor within a few weeks of dropping it off, but I never did. I finally attempted to contact Best Buy Castleton store on June 8th 2007. At first they could not find any record of my transaction in their system. After several phone calls and a supposed investigation? they found a very mixed up record of my transaction.

When I asked what would be done to replace my monitor he told me that his system also showed that I had already been issued a replacement monitor (a 22 widescreen monitor) and that was why I never received a call from them. When I told him that a replacement had never been issued, he said that there was nothing he could do because that is what his system showed and that there was nothing further they could do for me from the store level.

He said that he was going to conduct and investigation into the matter and would be calling me back. He gave me the case # of 38665075 along with a direct extension of X60387 for contacting him at Customer Service. Of course I never heard back from him or anyone at customer service. I did try to call again in early August and got a similar run-around where I spoke to an agent, had to explain my whole story again, and was told after conducting an investigation? that someone was looking into it and would get back with me. I did get a follow up message on my voice mail a few days later that someone was working on this and that I would get another call soon, but never got another call after that.

Original review: April 26, 2007

On 2/14/2007 I bought a Compaq computer at Best Buy. I was told they had to burn recovery cd`s for the comp that would be an additional cost to me. The comp was purchased as a gift to my daughter. She barely used it and had only had it 2 months when it wouldn’t even go into windows. I tried running the recovery disk’s. They failed to work.

On 4/11/2007 I took it back to Best Buy and was told I would get it back by the 19th. Today is April 26 and when I called they told me everything checks out on the hard ware so they have to rerun the recovery software and I will have to pay an additional 129.00.

Original review: March 30, 2007

my son purchased a compaq laptop from Wal-Mart in Oct-Nov 2006. Over the months he developed a virus on my computer. So he took his computer to the best geeks to check what was happening with it. A few days later he had to call them to find out what is going on with his computer, they stated that the computer had a trojan virus, so he asked how much would it be for it to be removed and for them to bring the computer back to working order, they stated between 2 to 3 hundred dollars, he allowed them to go ahead and remove the virus and anything else necessary needed to be done.

After receiving his computer back from best buy. He came home and set up his computer and found that his computer doesn't work at all. He has no files, no programs, no nothing. He took his computer back to best buy to have the problem resolved and they stated that they are not responsible for the damages done and they didn't know that this problem was gonna arise. They refuse to resolve the problem or even reimburse my son's money. So now my son's computer sits in a corner collecting dust which he only had for 5 months from date of purchase for best buy to screw it up then tells us that we cannot do anything about it.

Original review: March 26, 2007

I took my 3 month old p c into the best buy because it was shutting down on me. I had gotten extended 2 year warranty, they assured me they would fix it. Well, after 8 days of calling all the time and driving way to Biddeford to drop off the recovery disk i had, I finally got the machine home -- and less then 24 hours later it is doing the same thing.

Original review: March 23, 2007

My HP owuld not allow me to access the internet. I know I was connected because I hooked up my mac and I had internet access. Unlike other pc's the ethernet card cannot be replaced because it it soddered to the mother board. when I took it in to the geek squad they said they had to do a diagnostic and they will call me in a week.

Here it is almost two weeks later and no call and when I visited them they said its about 3rd on the list to get to. This is taking to freaking long for a lousy diagnostic. I'm just ****** because it seems I deal with someone different every time and who knows what goes on behind that wall if anything.

Geek Squad Company Information