2.85/5
Based on 27 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

27 Bass Pro Shops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 31, 2018

Purchased 2016 PRO 170 Bass Tracker boat (with Mercury Outboard motor) in Feb. 2016. Ran great all that year. We took the boat to Bass Pro, Colorado Springs CO, which is where we bought it for unrelated (blocked "pee" tube) work and they said they adjusted the motor also. The motor has not run above an idle since despite returning the boat 4 times at 540 miles each time. And I just brought it home, took to lake and NOTHING had changed and motor would not run! Now another trip 540 miles (take and pickup). My wife and I have lost 2 seasons now of fishing as the boat is at Bass Pro months at a time, all summer, plus the days we spend all day driving the boat to them OR the hundreds of dollars we have spent in fuel hauling boat to BASS PRO that could have been spent on rods and tackle but at least we did not have to replace any tackle either as we could not fish to lose any!

So I took it on June 25 after taking to lake, putting in and taking out after it would not run AGAIN OR STILL! Made the second half of THIS 540 trip on July 22 to retrieve boat, brought home, took to lake and motor will not run! I emailed the Store Manager whom I dealt with last year as per his instruction and he DID NOT return my call nor the Boat Manager I emailed. NO he had a serviceman call me who had no answers other than make another 540 mile $150 in gas trip to BASS PRO again. SO I'm sitting here with a $15,500 boat I have not been able to use for TWO YEARS! That's my review, YOU DECIDE.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I ordered a straw hat for my upcoming vacation in plenty of time but for some reason the day of delivery FedEx decides to return to shipper. BPS customer service could have sent another so I could have my hat but is waiting on FedEx for a disposition when clearly marked being returned to shipper. Bad customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Sporting Goods Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

First of all let me say I've own boat since I was 14 years old. I recently bought a Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW with a 75 hp. First time out with a friend during the break in period I got to the point where I could briefly run the boat full throttle. Three bumps on the trim to equal out the torque from the motor and the boat started to porpoise with a 8" chop. I immediately rolled back the throttle and continued breaking the motor in. I brought the boat back to the service department. The service manager informed me that they took care of new boats first. I replied it's new!!!

7 day later they informed me that the boat does porpoise but there’s nothing they can do. After calling customer service at the White River Marine Group. It's been 3 weeks now and my boat sits outside the Bass Pro Shop. This boat is too heavy!!! A 75 hp four stroke, 22 gallons of gas, 3 deep cycle batteries, live well and 2-3 fishermen. I don’t believe the engineers ran the boat through its paces. Do not buy a boat from Bass Pro if you expect them to honor any type of warranty? You would think the Billionaire CEO would care about his reputation. Not!!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Attempted to purchase a boat from the Ontario store. Multiple departments to complain about, but, long story short I cancelled my order. Now I'm chasing them for my deposit. Seems everyone has gone MIA. Move to my credit card company next I guess.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Bought a Pro 170 in March of 2018. Was supposed to get a $250.00 Bass Pro gift card within 6 weeks. Well it's almost June and no card. Have sent emails to store I made the purchase at with no results. The store is the Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook, IL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bass Pro Shops?

Original review: March 15, 2018

I purchased a bolt action rifle from outside Maryland and had it shipped to Bass Pro to pick it up. After it arrived I was informed that they could not sell it to me because it has a 15 round mag. I informed them that I have received other guns with larger round capacity from other FFLs in MD and they would pin them or remove them. I was called by the daytime store manager and he told it was illegal in Maryland to sell a gun with a high capacity mag and it would be sent back. I call the Maryland State Police to get a ruling from them as they enforce the law.

I called Bass Pro back and spoke with the evening manager to ask him to hold it until I heard back from MSP. He informed that they were shipping it back as it is "illegal" in Maryland. I also tried to inform him of MDs LD-FRS-13-005 that states: Yes, an FFL MD Regulated Firearm’s Dealer may receive in to the State a magazine with a capacity of more than 20 rounds, or more than 10 rounds on and after October 1, 2013. However, these magazines may not be sold to a non-exempt Maryland resident in Maryland. It also goes on to talk about pinning the mag or modifying it so it can not hold more than 10 rounds. Then he starts telling me it's BASS Pro policy. He then switches back and forth between MD laws and Bass Pro interchangeably.

I have purchased long guns from Bass Pro before but this was the first time that I used them for a FFL transfer. I have to admit I choose them as they were cheaper than some of the other FFLs I deal with and they were, so I thought, more convenient. Boy was I wrong. I guess it is true you get what you pay for. It will be a cold day downstairs before I shop there again. So they say it's because of Maryland law but then they go on about Bass Pro policy. I would think that if they want to be like ** and make their own rules they should state it upfront. Hopefully this will only be a $50 lesson learned.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Cabelas Grandville Michigan - Bought $1,000.00 of reloading equipment for my son's birthday, I am a Cabelas Club member and a Disabled Marine Veteran. Clearly on the cash register is a sign that says 5% discount for Veterans. I gave the girl my Vet's ID and she said that the items I was buying was excluded from the discount. OK, WHY, the manager said it was Bass Pro Shops automatic computer program that decides what is excluded. I then read the very very fine print on the bottom of the card...it excludes guns, ammo, black powder. I bought a complete reloading machine. They want to wave the flag and act like they are in tune with Veterans...until they have to discount something 5%. I am cancelling the order on my new bass boat. Guess what, there are hundreds of places that sell Bass boats in Michigan.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I shopped at the Daytona Beach store with my husband yesterday. I was looking for a women’s lightweight puffy Columbia jacket for a trip to Boston. I found what I wanted. Regular price was $120 and it was on sale for $99.99. When I got to the register, I noticed their circular. In their circular was an ad that stated Columbia jackets for women 25% off, On Select A Jacket. The picture showed approximately five jackets. One of the jacket shown what is the exact jacket that I wanted. I said, “oh, that’s great this is 25% off!“ The cashier responded, "Oh no. Not this one, only the selected model on selected jackets." The picture showed approximately five jackets. One of the jacket shown what is the exact jacket that I wanted. I said, “oh, that’s great this is 25% off! “The cashier responded,” oh no not this one, only the selected styles.“

I then went on to say, “well, this is the same exact code pictured here that I want and to me as a consumer that would mean that this coat is one of the selected styles.“ She then got two managers involved who both said, "No that’s the price." So, I said “fine, I’ll just deal with corporate!" I bought the jacket and left. On the way home I called their corporate office. I spoke to a supervisor named Lauren, who said, "Oh I’m very sorry. I’ll call the store right now and have them call you." Mind you, this was around 4 o’clock. I never heard from the store. I will be making another phone call to the corporate office first thing Monday morning and will ask for additional money off for my treatment as well as them ripping off the public with false advertising and also I will never shop any of their stores ever again‼️ Good luck to anyone who patronizes them‼️?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I recently went to get some scope covers. The MSRP was 9.95, their price 13.99. I was there and wanted them that day so purchased them. I got home and checked the sales receipt and saw they charged 11% sales tax, WHAT? Everywhere else here it is 9.5%. I went online and everything I found for their location in their city, their county and their state says it is suppose to be 9.5%. So what gives?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I'm a fisherman that looks for good deals online, I order many things from many suppliers. I use Bass Pro Shops very often, I was in sad today when I realised that Bass Pro Shops' website is set up with system that change prices according to where you live in the USA or how much you buy. It's scam to their customer and very bad business practice... I'll never buy there again, I don't appreciate these kind of scams...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Bought a Mercury 9.9 H.P from Bass Pro Shop in Diana Florida about 2014. Came with a 5 year warranty. Nothing but problems from the first time I used it. Never worked right. Brought it to their shop 5 times, swear to God. Never was fixed. Each time the service people there hinted to me that it was my fault. Either pulled the choke out, primed it too much, bad gas, all kind of **.

Finally they recommended that I put in new thermostat. "Which I had to pay for out of my own pocket while still in warranty"... Was stuck out off shore in the Atlantic for an hour until someone saw my very flares. About 4 months after that, I was stuck out in the Everglades for 30 minutes until a passing boat drag us in... Then it magically started... The people at Bass Pro Shop were extremely nice and really tried to help, but could not find anything wrong with it in 5 attempts. Have contacted an attorney. Never like Mercury and really wanted an Evinrude, but could not find one in South Florida. What a piece of dog crap... Only thing it's good for is an anchor!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Cancelled order after having been told that I needed to return a third time to pick up a $1050 AR15 ordered on 08/13/17. Received the "ready for pick up" email on 08/17. Went to pick up at noon on 08/18. Was told to return on 08/19 as I needed to wait 5 full day. Understood. Returned today, 08/19 to pick up. Was told to return on 04/22 as the order was written on 04/14 - what? The shady part: the sales person told that he needed to code the purchase "abandoned" so that I could get my $ in two days - what? More to come if my $ is not back on my CC by 04/22!

Original review: June 26, 2017

On May the 29th 2017 we visited the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield Mo and was very disappointed with the customer service. I was looking for some jet divers and pets spoons I could not find anyone to help me in the dept. I finally went to one of the checkouts and the fellow told me someone would be with me in a second. I waited and finally this young kid came up and said "that is where they would be if we have any." So I asked "well how about some pet spoons, where can I find them." Well he walked with me a little ways and same thing, he said "if we have any that is where they should be." I was so mad almost could not see to get out of that place.

On my way out I ran into a young man carrying a rod. I asked if there was an Academy Sports close by. He pointed me to where he said it was. He had a broken rod he said he set the hook and the rod broke. Took it back and they told him there was nothing they could do. I found the Academy Sports and they had the spoons and divers I was looking for and I bought them. Spent $64. I would never stop in another Bass Pro if they paid me to do it!! I called back spoke to the store manager and he took my information. Truly very disappointed.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I bought the nicest recliner they had. $900.00+dollars heat massager, didn't last a year then recliner broke. Ask for help. They offered me $100.00 dollars catnapper recliner. Called. They stop selling catnapper. Wonder why! Think a large operation like this would stand behind their products.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

My credit card company stopped the authorization for suspected fraud, of which there was none. I received a prompt email from Bass Pro notifying me of the issue. I cleared it up with my credit card company (click of an email), called Bass Pro at the phone number provided in their email the next day. AMAZINGLY I was talking to someone in the U.S. immediately, no annoying phone prompts to jump through, no waiting on hold, no getting passed from department to department. All I did was say, "Hi Dianne my name is Brian" and she seemed to have my order pulled up. Must have used caller ID to pull up my order before connecting with me?

I didn't even have to give my order number, she knew what I ordered and read it back to me to verify, and offered the opportunity to make any changes. I gave the card number again and was off the phone. The entire call lasted 2 minutes and 4 seconds. Absolutely fantastic call center interaction, I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you Bass Pro. I hope you continue to keep your reputation high after the merger with Cabellas.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Covers a wide variety of sports, nice selection. Convenient location and hours. The store is clean, well laid out and well organized. Assistance is available in most areas. Central checkouts make it convenient to complete your purchase when you are ready. The selection and type of merchandise they carry is impressive. Was surprised to see household items in a sporting goods store. It's also family friendly; we love to watch the fish.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I and my family and friends just love going to Bass. It does NOT advertise coupons for the restaurant, so there are no long lines in season, though it is popular. Management says the restaurant is for the convenience of shoppers. The store is set up like a showroom, fun and easy to find what you are looking for. In addition, Bass has a top-rated restaurant with LOTS of atmosphere, fresh fish and seafood, great appetizers and drinks. Allows families to enjoy the ambiance while serious sportsmen look for their equipment. Lastly, Bass has a high-quality line of appropriate sports clothing and gifts. One can spend the whole night (or day) in the store, wining, dining and shopping!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

The sales folks are always helpful and ready and willing to answer questions. They are knowledgeable about their areas and like to share their knowledge with customers. All the folks there seem to really have an interest in their respective areas. I am always helped by people who are experts in their field. They have a great in store selection on all your outdoor needs and if they don't have it in store you can be sure it is on their website.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

The people that work there seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs. They are always nice and polite and have smiles on their faces. They seem quite knowledgeable about the products they sell and always help me when I need it. They always seem to know what I am asking for even when I don't know what it is exactly. They are quite good at giving me different options to suit my needs. They have a huge selection of different brands of differing qualities and prices. The selection gives you enough choices to be happy but not too many to as to be overwhelmed. I have always been satisfied with the range of products available. The hours are pretty good. They are open when I need them to be. Certainly better than my bank. They are open every day of the week and that works well with my schedule.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

It was nice, they got my order packaged right, and shipped fast. Everything was accurate.They are a great company to do business with. I would definitely recommend them. Very smart, reliable company, has very knowledgeable employees. They are very helpful. Very nice inventory, lots to choose from, tons of categories. Very nice place to shop, they have great deals. I will definitely continue shopping there. I think they have great business hours, they seem to be open when you need something. They could maybe stay open a little later on Sunday, but most stores close early on Sunday too.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

The employees were visible and able to help find products and answer questions in a friendly easy manner. I wanted a sale item and didn't see my size so the gentleman went to the back and dug one out for me. There were several employees working around the store but they all seemed unrushed and happy to help without giving the impression that I was drawing them away from something more important. I am a retail manager so I notice and appreciate things like that.

I'm not an outdoorsy kind of person (I was just following my husband around while he drooled over all the boat and fishing gear) so all I can say is there was A LOT of stuff! The store was well stocked without gaping empty areas in the shelves. All of the merchandise had easy to see pricing info. We were there on a Sunday afternoon and they were open so I guess that was a good thing.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Staff are happy to help you find what you're looking for and explain the various options to help you decide which is right for you. Staff have a large store to cover and may need more on the floor per shift. Staff don't appear to be assigned to specific areas. And yet they know a lot about products of all different types throughout the store.There's a wide variety of choices for each type of product, as well as a good variety of additional products you may not expect to find that are interesting and appealing. Stores are open late enough that we are able to get home from work, have dinner, and then go to do our shopping. That lets us enjoy the experience and not have to rush.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Very helpful, knowledgeable employees that made my visit and experience better. Gave me good fishing advice. Also helped me look at boats out in the parking lot. Every question I had, they could answer in multiple departments. Whether in the fishing and tackle department or outside looking at boats, they knew their business. I would not hesitate to even buy a boat there. Largest selection I have ever seen! I was amazed at the size of the store in Dallas! Its setting on the lake was also beautiful and a great place to check out a boat. Their hours are convenient and open late enough for people who work to have plenty of time. If you are in the store at closing, they don't run you out like Walmart!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Someone greeted me at the door and the department I was shopping in someone asked me if I needed assistance. Overall friendly staff. I was happy. The person that assisted me during my shopping experience definitely had knowledge of the product I was looking for. Their help was much needed. There were tons of things in the department I was looking for that were related to the item in need so it was nice to have such a big selection but at the same time maybe too much for an amateur. I work nights so I appreciate business that are open later so I have more time to shop for the things I need.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Helpful employees, even calling me up when I looked at Ranger Boats online. I would recommend if you have a particular band in mind, start your search with Bass Pro Shops. With a wide variety of items sold, such as fishing and hunting, they have a very informed crew. I am usually focused on fishing equipment, but I do have an interest in guns and ammo. I can spend a lot of time wandering the aisles.

I've never been disappointed in the selection. One of my sons gave me a gift card for Bass Pro Shops for Father's Day. I'm looking forward for the next time I'm in Cincinnati so I can indulge my hobby. They have normal business hours. I go online a lot to "window shop." The closest store is an hour away so I don't run to shop there very often. Usually, it takes a planned stop while in Cincinnati, Ohio for some other reason.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

The customer service here was awesome. Very nice and helpful employees. They were also very knowledgeable about products found in the store which was awesome and helpful for me. I love when a sales person is knowledgeable. Great selection of consumer goods. Love this store overall. Never disappoint me. Would recommend to a friend. Had a huge variety of everything you need. Pretty good hours they have. It would be so cool if they were 24 hours. That would be so awesome but the hours they are open are great. Love this store and would for sure come back.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

They were very friendly and willing to help me find exactly what I wanted. My sale was rung up very quickly and correct. I felt they valued me as a customer. The clerk seemed to know the store layout and the merchandise very well. He went the extra mile to find me just exactly what I was looking for. He even offered me promotion I was not aware of. There were plenty of choices of high quality merchandise. I always find what I want at this store. I never have to return merchandise because of faulty workmanship. Their hours fit very well with my shopping needs. The brand is close to my home and the hours fit very well with my schedule. I like their later hours.

Bass Pro Shops Company Information

www.basspro.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business