Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA is recalling 18,203 of the following motorcycles:
- Model year 2018-2020 MTT9GT (Tracer GT),
- Model year 2019 MXTGTKL (NIKEN GT),
- Model Year 2017-2020 MT10,
- Model year 2018-2020 XTZ12 (Super Ténéré),
- Model year 2013-2020 FJR13,
- Model year 2018 XV19B (Star Eluder), and
- Model year 2018-2021 XV19 (Star Venture).
The front brake switch can fail due to increased resistance from silicon oxide.
Failure of the front brake switch can cause the brake light to stay on constantly and/or the cruise control system to shutoff unexpectedly. Both situations increases the risk of a crash.
What to do
Owners are advised not to operate their motorcycle until repairs have been performed.
Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front brake switch free of charge.
The recall was expected to begin in January 2021.
Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at (800) 962-7926. Yamaha's number for this recall is 990140.