Magnets can detach from the trivets, posing an ingestion hazard to children.
When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can link together inside the intestines and clamp onto body tissues, causing intestinal obstructions, perforations, sepsis and death. Internal injury from magnets can pose serious lifelong health effects.
The firm has received one report of magnets detaching from a trivet and being swallowed by a child. The child suffered intestinal perforations and blockage, requiring surgery.
This recall involves Tristar Products (an Accredited Partner) magnetic trivets sold with Copper Chef 10-Piece Cerami-Tech Nonstick Cookware Sets and sold separately.
The trivets attach to the bottom of hot metal cookware, allowing it to be placed on tables.
The trivets have four magnets encased in silicone and come in copper, burgundy, blue, and black colors.
Each set includes an 11 inch square pot with glass lid, steamer tray, fry basket, 11 inch fry pan with glass press, 9.5 inch square pot with glass lid, a cookbook, and two magnetic trivets.
The trivets, manufactured in China, were sold by QVC from October 2017, through October of 2018, for between $75 and $120 when sold as part of the cookware set and $10 when sold separately.
What to do
Consumers should immediately stop using the trivets and place them out of the reach of children. Contact Tristar Products (an Accredited Partner) for instructions to receive free replacement trivets. Tristar Products (an Accredited Partner) is contacting purchasers directly.
Consumers may contact Tristar Products at (800) 718-5136 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (ET) Monday through Friday, or online at www.Tristarproducts.com for more information.