Petzl America of Salt Lake City, Utah, is recalling about 15,000 low-stretch kernmantle ropes sold in the U.S. and Canada.
The rope can have a deep cut or tape securing two ends of rope together, which can cause the rope to fail, posing fall and injury hazards.
No incidents or injuries have been reported.
The low-stretch kernmantle ropes, with a nylon core and polyester sheath material, are designed for professional use, including work-at-height use, difficult access, technical rescue and industrial applications; and for recreational use, including climbing, caving and mountaineering.
Only ropes with serial numbers ranging between 18 C 0000000 000 and 20 H 0000000 000 are included in the recall.
The recalled rope models include:
- Axis 11mm rope (white, yellow, black, blue, red and orange) available in 150, 200, 600 and 1200 feet. Model Numbers R074AA00 – R074AA27.
- Parallel 10.5mm (white, yellow, black, blue, red and orange), available in 50, 100, 200 and 500 meters. Model Numbers R077AA03 – R077AA28.
- Vector 12.5mm rope (white, yellow, black, blue, red and orange) available in 150, 200, 600 and 1200 feet. Model Numbers R078AA00—R078AA27.
- Segment 8 mm (white) available in 50, 100 or 200 meters. Model Numbers R076AA00 – R076AA06.
- Ray 12 mm (yellow/black) available in 25, 50, 75, 100 and 200 feet. Model Numbers R091AA00 – R091AA04.
- ASAP’AXIS 11 mm (white) available 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 meters. Model numbers R074DA00 -- R074DA05
- Push 200 9 mm (white, orange) available in 200 meters. Model Numbers R40AW200 and R40AO200.
- Club 200 10 mm (white, orange) available in 200 meters. Model Numbers R39AW200 and R39AO200.
- Top 9.8 mm (Not sold in North America)
- Lead 9.8mm (Not sold in North America)
- JAG Rescue Kit model numbers K090AA00-K090AA02
The recalled safety ropes have the model name and serial number on the label affixed to each end of the rope.
The ropes, manufactured in France, were sold at GME Supply, Karst Sports and industrial and recreational stores nationwide, and online at www.gmesupply.com and www.Karstsports.com from March 2018, through July 2020, for between $200 and $1,200.
What to do
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ropes and inspect them for a deep cut or tape connecting two ends of rope together; if either is found, contact Petzl America for instructions on receiving a free replacement rope.
Consumers may contact Petzl America toll-free at (877) 807-3805 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (MT) Monday through Friday, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or online at www.petzl.com and select Professional or Sport then click on “Customer Service” at the top of the page, then “Security Alerts” for more information.