Harley-Davidson Motor Company is recalling a total of 174,636 motorcycles. This includes:
- Model year 2008-2011 Touring, CVO Touring and VSRC motorcycles equipped with anti-lock brakes (ABS), including: Road King (FLHR), Road King Police (EFI) (FLHP), Road King Police (EFI) (FLHPE), Electra Glide Standard Police (EFI) (FLHTP), Electra Glide Classic (EFI) (FLHTC), Electra Glide Ultra Classic (EFI) (FLHTCU) and Street Glide (EFI) (FLHX);
- Model year 2008 VROD (VRSCAWA), CVO Road King 4 (FLHRSE4), Night Rod (VRSCDA), CVO Ultra Classic 3 (FLHTCUSE3), Night Rod Special (VRSCDXA);
- Model year 2008-2010 Road King Classic (EFI) (FLHRC),
- Model year 2008-2009 Road Glide (EFI) (FLTR) and Electra Glide Standard (EFI) (FLHT);
- Model year 2009-2010 V-Rod (VRSCAW);
- Model year 2009 CVO Ultra Classic (FLHTCUSE4) and CVO Road Glide 3 (FLTRSE3);
- Model year 2009-2011 Night Rod Special (VRSCDX) and V-Rod Muscle (VRSCF);
- Model year 2010 CVO Ultra Classic 5 (FLHTCUSE5) and CVO Street Glide (FLHXSE);
- Model year 2010-2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (FLHTK) and Road Glide Custom (FLTRX);
- Model year 2011 Road Glide Ultra 103 (FLTRU103), Street Glide 103 (FLHX103), Road King Classic 103 (FLHRC103), CVO Ultra Classic 6 (FLHTCUSE6), CVO Road Glide Ultra (FLTRUSE), Road Glide Custom 103 (FLTRX103), and CVO Street Glide 2 (FLHXSE2) motorcycles.
Deposits may form on components within the brake system if the DOT 4 brake fluid is not replaced for a prolonged period of time beyond the 2-year maintenance schedule specified in the Owner’s Manual.
These deposits may cause a valve within the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit to stick, reducing braking ability and increasing the risk of a crash.
What to do
Harley-Davidson will notify owners, and dealers will flush the entire brake system with new Platinum Label DOT 4 brake fluid, free of charge.
The recall is expected to begin February 12, 2018.
Owners may contact Harley-Davidson customer service at 1-800-258-2464. Harley-Davidson's number for this recall is 0171.