3.83/5

Discover a POS system

Upserve

Upserve is a cutting edge restaurant technology platform, built for restaurateurs to exceed guest expectations. Over 8,000 restaurants across the country use Upserve’s analytics and point-of-sale solutions to run a smoother operation. The Upserve platform helps improve operations from front-of-house to back-of-house by centralizing restaurant services from point-of-sale, analytics, and payments.

At a glance, you can find what your customers favorite meal is, how they like it cooked, and what their favorite sides are. In addition to their preferences, Upserve manages server performance, provides easy marketing tools, and is able to manage customer feedback as well as analyze day-to-day sales.

Upserve was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in Rhode Island. It is a smart management assistant and cloud-based point-of-sale specifically built for restaurants and lets owners manage their employees, sales, marketing, budgets, menus and more.

View More View More

Discover a POS system

126 Upserve Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 20, 2017

I have the service from Breadcrumb and it’s really user-friendly and simple. My boyfriend was also here serving and training me. I asked him what he thought about it and he liked it a lot. I used Aloha before and it’s totally different and more complicated. The screen looks way more complicated to mess with whereas with Breadcrumbs, there is really no way to mess it up. I have to type more but it’s faster with the whole thing overall, and it’s way more efficient than Aloha.

However, we do Craft open for $10 and specials here like Sangria towers and Mimosa pitchers and if it changes prices, we have to go in and do open drink for it. There’s not always a secure button but that’s because we’re always changing our things up, too. I’ve only trained three days here so, I haven’t had too much time on it. But they were having us type everything in and do open food and drinks. We don’t get busy enough to have a problem with that. I haven’t worked with anything simpler. I would definitely recommend it.

Original review: May 21, 2017

The owners of the business switched into Upserve. They handled all that for us and then I took over. We have the POS iPad now and I like that it's fairly easy to use. It gets slow sometimes but it can be due to the internet as there's probably a lot of people on it.The Upserve sales team has been pretty good so far. When I used the Breadcrumb, I had a problem right when they switched where our system was down for a few times. That was pretty bad. It took a while so we ended up using Square backup. Even the phone line was down at that time so there was no way to get a hold of them or anybody. It was two days when that happened. I've got a buddy in mind that opened a restaurant not too far from us and I told him to switch and get Breadcrumb. So, he did and he had the same problem.

There is a thing on the website saying the engineers were working on it so I think it really happened at a bad timing for us because it was during business time. But all of the computer stuff usually happens when we're crazy busy. There is never a good time. And I don't know if there was something with the switch from Breacrumb or Upserve, but I'm sure there were things that the Breadcrumb people before were not doing right. I know how those transitions go sometimes. But we stuck it out and it seems to be working pretty good. The only thing that we can't do but would want to is split items because we do a lot of split checks here.

Original review: May 30, 2017

We, as a restaurant, have been a part of Breadcrumb for the most part and then got into Upserve when they bought Breadcrumb out. It’s gotten definitely better since they acquired Breadcrumb. It’s very user-friendly and interactions with their staff were all positive. But there were some computer outages especially since we opened. They bought them out from Groupon but they are trying to switch service to Amazon and there’s a lot of bugs along the way. We experienced those bugs on our end whenever they went offline and couldn’t accept the payments. But we’ve gotten used to the outages which I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing.

Original review: May 28, 2017

The Breadcrumb equipment is simple and works like an iPhone. If we call because of an issue, there's a recording telling us why that it's not a huge problem and it comes back up quickly. There had been a few times where we couldn't do anything until the next day but it's very rare. Usually, within a couple of hours we're up and running again. It's simple to train new employees to use it if they've used an iPhone. The only thing that I would wish that would be helpful for us is when we put things on hold, we could set how long it's on hold and then it automatically fires itself. It would be convenient.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Upserve always helps me whenever we lose an authorization due to batching of that nature and everybody has been nice. The equipment works. I can tweak it a lot and I like its versatility.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?

Original review: May 26, 2017

The Upserve POS system is much more reasonable than traditional ones like Micros or Aloha. Moreover, its user interface is much more intuitive. I have used Breadcrumb in the past with some of our other restaurants. Even before Upserve purchased Breadcrumb, our rep has been Christian and he has been absolutely helpful with anything that I've needed. However, when Upserve partnered with GrubHub for the integration of their technologies, we signed up for that service, and someone reached out and said that it was going to be more expensive and quoted me one price. I asked some more questions and said, "Okay, we can go ahead on that price." Then he said, “Actually, that price is wrong. It’s double what we had originally quoted." That was a negative thing — to double the cost of the service just to have it go through our POS, which really isn't that big of an advantage for us.

Original review: May 22, 2017

We use Swipely for all of our four locations. We started utilizing it in San Antonio first. We use the ePads for customers to check out with and so we could monitor all of that information through the website. I also like the fact that we could see customer feedback more easily, as well as being able to send them emails and promotions once they've signed up. Tim, one of their technical support reps, has been helping us out a lot over the last course of the year. He would call us and come in anytime we have issues with our ePads or if we have any questions. All in all, it's been a great experience seeing all the different customer feedback.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Upserve's equipment are user-friendly and easy to learn. They've got training screens, so we give them information and they pretend they’re writing orders. Overall, Upserve has been reliable.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I've been in the business for over 20 years. I'm usually in a rush because the restaurant business is busy. We had the Micros for a long time and it's better than Breadcrumb. Micros was easier to use and there was a direct line after our line that we could call and we could do it ourselves - press number 2, put in all your information and then we were able to retrieve some credit card information ourselves on the weekends or after hours which was really helpful. With Breadcrumb, I find it really hard to get any help. They aren't able to pull credit card numbers for us that easy. On the weekends, they can't do anything at all and during the week, sometimes they'll pass me over to three or four different people before I get to somebody that can really help me and it also takes so many different steps.

I'd be put on hold and I'd get frustrated. I can't be on hold and the customers don't want to hear that. They want to be able to go and it's very frustrating because we have people waiting. They also got a lot of new people training. They have a lot of people not trained enough and don't know what to do. We don't use the Upserve equipment that often and all we do is have our POS. We only call when there is an issue with the credit card. Upserve needs to be improved.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I like the Upserve program itself when it’s working. The reporting’s really robust and the functionality is great. It’s very simple and straightforward, which is why I’ll be sad to go. Because when it is working and it’s not going down and crashing on me over and over again, it’s wonderful. But it’s the customer service that failed for me. And when something goes wrong, and when it’s the fault of Breadcrumb, I expect it to be resolved, taken care of, and things need to be made right. That hasn’t happened so I’m really dissatisfied. In terms of the program, I’m satisfied. I can work with the systematic problems the company has and which I know they’re working on. I can roll through that. What I can’t deal with is not getting help when I need it and losing money. The lack of customer service can ruin an experience so much that it doesn’t matter that the platform’s great and works most of the time.

I had a horrific experience and right now, I’m in the process of doing a major clean-up so that I can put everything over to a new system once we decide what we’re going to do. Upserve has lost us thousands of dollars in the past couple of months and there’s been no restitution made. There’s been some attempts to help restore the relationship, but I haven’t heard from anybody in a while. I’ve given up because it was taking so much effort and energy for me to chase people down to get help with anything.

I’m really angry. The company doesn’t care about our business at all but only about making money off us. And we’ve been spending good money to lose money, which is not at all helpful. I don’t plan on being with Breadcrumb much longer. I’m trying to systematically and operationally get all my ducks in place so that I can transition in a way that doesn’t disrupt my business. But there’s already been so many disruptions as a result of Breadcrumb’s failings. Also, I have friends all over the country in the restaurant business that are all saying the same thing. Upserve's gonna experience a big mass exodus over the next couple of months if they don’t make some serious changes.

Upserve Company Information