3.83/5

Discover a POS system

Upserve

Upserve is a cutting edge restaurant technology platform, built for restaurateurs to exceed guest expectations. Over 8,000 restaurants across the country use Upserve’s analytics and point-of-sale solutions to run a smoother operation. The Upserve platform helps improve operations from front-of-house to back-of-house by centralizing restaurant services from point-of-sale, analytics, and payments.

At a glance, you can find what your customers favorite meal is, how they like it cooked, and what their favorite sides are. In addition to their preferences, Upserve manages server performance, provides easy marketing tools, and is able to manage customer feedback as well as analyze day-to-day sales.

Upserve was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in Rhode Island. It is a smart management assistant and cloud-based point-of-sale specifically built for restaurants and lets owners manage their employees, sales, marketing, budgets, menus and more.

View More View More

126 Upserve Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2017

We have been using Upserve for a while and overall, it’s fine. The account manager explains the situation clearly and I know what to expect. However, if the agent who answers the phone had better product knowledge to address my issue, I wouldn’t have to escalate it to my account manager. I am not dissatisfied with their service but a little improvement will be helpful for them.

Original review: May 15, 2017

We're using Upserve's payment system where I can see the data. I like the analysis part, it's easy to use. However, we have the sales by the lunch time and dinner time and the system only provides the sales per day, so we're not able to see the sales per shift. But they have one function that's like the percentage of the day. Overall, we've had a pretty good experience using the payment system.

Original review: May 14, 2017

We had Breadcrumb before they were acquired by Upserve. We've been using Breadcrumb for about a year then there was a string of information via email keeping us posted on the acquisition and the changes that were coming. The best part of the Breadcrumb software was the interface for it was very intuitive. It's very great in keeping with what most people were used to do with their Apple products already like the interface of it, terminals and the point-of-sales. The biggest draw was the fluidity for the staff. There were even a few things that we were able to figure out by guessing because we were thinking, “Oh, it would be cool of it did this.” Then we tried it and it worked. Also, there were little surprises just because of how in-tuned people are especially to their cell phones.

There has definitely been an improvement since Upserve took over. All along the way, things were cleared up. It was transparent even with Breadcrumb as to where were the problems and the shortcomings. They were expanding too rapidly and had more of their resources dedicated to the sales department and activations team than they did to tech support. That was one of the first things that were addressed in the emails going out to Upserve. When Upserve took over, they restructured where the focus is going to be for all the other accounts. They did more to help the current accounts and customers. Also, there was more response. However, lately, there's a little bit of a dip in the customer support.

Over the last three months, there was something big that was going on. There has been some outages that had to do with servers, and they put us in a bad spot. It was systemic so it was every account everywhere calling all at the same time. It has been a little harder lately than it was initially to get someone on the phone who could give you at least an update on things. Whatever it was, they have worked it out.

The only thing that stands out as a problem is the way in which Breadcrumb goes about its offline mode. The offline mode is great and necessary because if you couldn’t do that, to keep running off of Wi-Fi would be too much of a risk. Once you're in offline mode, the terminals can't talk to each other, which means when you start to check at one location, you can't ring anything in at a different terminal. It won't mirror the check and it won't mirror the two different terminals until you go back online. It's a small headache but I've seen a few other systems that were pitched to me and they get around that by creating a network redundancy so that even when the network might’ve been down, when it was in offline mode, all of the units were still an interior shell of the network, so they’ll communicate. That was cool and something that would be a vast improvement on what we've been doing. However, the offline stuff only happens from time to time and it's minor.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We've been using Upserve on two of our screens for about a year now. We have the wireless system, and when it first got rolling, someone called us and she was really helpful. Haven't had any problems since. It's good to have and it's been great.

Original review: May 10, 2017

We started with the transition to Upserve when another person was managing the space. We have a pub. The owner has been on the phone with Upserve’s reps a couple of times beginning the inception of it, tying in with other products like the POS system, working through Breadcrumb, and all of the good stuff. For our POS system, we do everything off of large like Android tablet devices. We have two of the large ones and two of the small ones. They are convenient to use but sometimes they run into issues with connecting to the wireless connection that’s dedicated to the POS system. Also, if one of them goes down or if there’s any kind of specific updates with the POS system, there’s an issue. And if you're in the middle of the shift and that upgrade happens at 3:00 o’clock on a Saturday, it can really be disruptive to service.

There’s a definite convenience to Breadcrumb but there’s a recent upgrade that’s frustrating. It’s hard to tag how your day is going because when you look up the report for the day, it’s now only showing closed checks instead of all the checks that are open as well. So, when you're getting a gist of how your waiters’ sales are going, it takes calculations now. We like to try to have each of our employees meet a certain goal on their shift, and now it’s hard for them to be able to see where they’re standing at a point in their shift. And then some of the itemization specifically in Breadcrumb, when you’re doing the menu setup, the options make it difficult to copy and transfer information over to similar products that might be in the same modifier group. Sometimes this makes the process really arduous. These situations are specific to the model of the structure of the POS system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?

Original review: May 7, 2017

Upserve was a recommendation to us by another restaurant owner, and it's all good with their reps. They're easy to work with and it was also easy to train on their platform. I liked that our staff is already familiar with it and the equipment itself. However, the software goes offline all the time. It's been a process with it as it was a little difficult at the beginning but it continues to get better. Overall, I'm still happy with Upserve.

Original review: May 6, 2017

We use Upserve POS system in our company. I’ve been with the company for almost five years and I personally haven't had a problem with Upserve. They help and give me whatever I need right away every time I called, but our company owner always complains that it takes a little longer to get a hold of somebody to help him whenever we’re trying to get a number.

Original review: May 5, 2017

The Upserve log is definitely beneficial to us in keeping up-to-date on communication on a regular basis. I like how it sends every day to the email so I have a spot to go and the information’s all there to check.

Original review: May 2, 2017

Breadcrumb by Upserve is an easy to use and nice software. Its price is one of the most competitive and it is also iPad-based. At that time, we could do whatever we wanted with it. When I first bought into the program, I had support tickets and menu set up and our initial salesman was pretty cool. Their customer service was just like the occasional tech support if something goes down and were pretty helpful. Now that Upserve bought them, it's a lot better. Breadcrumb was pretty tiny, but they’ve gotten much better at answering their phones. They have really tried to make their customer service a lot more user-friendly because now, we have an actual customer rep whom we have a phone number for direct calls. And compared to a lot of companies, they’re pretty easy to deal with. Overall, it’s been a real positive experience.

Original review: April 27, 2017

We really liked what Upserve was offering and all the information that’s available to us. The best part is getting the insight to your guest. I love the reports. I love knowing who my number one spenders are during the week, what they're buying, and who’s waiting on them. It's been a very smooth and awesome experience with Upserve.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I've had to call a bunch of times for random issues especially when we go offline, and the people at Upserve have all been super-duper helpful. Right now, we just have the bare bones basic Upserve equipment from three years ago when we opened. We have the iPads, printers and the router or the modem. We've had nothing but issues, though. The iPads are intuitive and they're easy to use, but every now and then, our printers get disconnected from everything, so we have to go in and reassign them all. That gets frustrating because sometimes we can't get tickets to print. We don't have the EMV readers or anything yet. We're getting ready to upgrade to those, so that will be a whole new experience starting soon.

Original review: April 25, 2017

In comparison to other POS systems that I've used, like ShopKeep, I don't like Upserve. The display is not user-friendly and putting menu options is very tedious and multi-layered. There are constant crashes on our system. In fact, I'm waiting for the rep to find out what happened to my sales report. I have issues with crossing out my master report on Friday and there are these security compromises. Also, the customer service I get is inconsistent. For instance, I emailed my rep on Tuesday. She got back to me two days after and gave me access to her calendar to talk but I can't speak to her until late today when I'm supposed to be done with work for the day to deal with some issues from the 8th. That's how long it takes to deal with that. There is an emergency number I can call but I don't know if they are familiar with our account, so I try to stick with one person when dealing with important matters.

Original review: April 23, 2017

We got Aloha through SDCR and Upserve was an addition you can get on it. It is more summarizing and easy to view versus the Aloha system on the back end. The customer service and technical support has been great, really responsive on the emails.

Original review: April 22, 2017

We were Swipely customers who were transferred to Upserve and since we're comfortable with how things are going, we haven't made any changes. We have the MICROS POS system and we like its ease of use the most. When we've had issues processing, I've called the technical support a couple of times and they've been helpful. The only bad experience I've had here was when there was a chaos the other evening when I called, and Upserve and Breadcrumb were having issues processing credit cards, so there was a long telephone wait and their systems were done for a little while. Aside from that, everything has been easy going.

Original review: April 20, 2017

We started out with Breadcrumbs before and then moved to Upserve and then Swipely. We're a smaller company so the POSitouch is too expensive. We're not too high volume and we only use one system 'cause our capacity is 75. We have the iPads and two of the terminals because we use another system for cash and we use credit card with the little machine from them. Then we had an upgrade a year ago but everything is easy to work with and self-explanatory once we got used to it. We can even readjust it on our own if we have to.

However, it shuts down a lot and then it takes a while in order to get the service. It went out last Saturday for about two and a half hours between our busiest time in the evening and it's hard to fix. We have three venues that use Breadcrumb and it does that because of the high volume on weekends. But, they were very helpful when we did talk to them, though it usually takes about 30 minutes or so to get someone on the line quick during the busy times. Other than that, I've had a better experience with them than I have with Aloha or the other companies.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Upserve is good and they handle any problems we had. It's super easy to train people on how to use the Upserve equipment. I know we've had a huge issue trying to get the rewards program set up. I haven't done that part of it. It's one bid on the other guys and I know it's been very slow to get it implemented. Overall, it's been positive and satisfying.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I chose Breadcrumb among others because of their price. Everything is almost good. All the time their sales team are nice but sometimes we feel that some of their representatives are not helping us through it. The Upserve equipment is inexpensive and it's really convenient for us. We purchased the point of sale system, but we just have a problem, the system crashes often. It used to be real bad at the beginning but it's gotten better.

The problem still seems to be a concern for us because it happens while we're busy or at the end of the day when we are tired and ready to go home. A lot of times, we fetch the wrong reports and when we have to call about it, it would be a long wait having about 60 people ahead of us. The technical support is very helpful once we get to them and they apologize if there's a problem. For the most part, 95% of the time, they really do help us and solve the problem but there have been times when they're not sure. Overall, it was all good except for that one problem. It's a nightmare when that happens.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Upserve is competitively priced and I love the ease of their reporting. I also love the fact that their reporting pools, for example, customer reviews from everywhere on our business, so with one click I can see all the reviews. It's pretty cool and I can do sales contest based on their data. Another thing that I enjoy about them is that I haven't had to call tech support. Overall, my experience with Upserve has been easy. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 8, 2017

We use Upserve for credit card processing. I use the software on my cell phone, and it's very helpful because I get an email every day before the shift starts off and knowing of how the night is going to be on Upserve. From home, I can look on the application what the restaurant is doing. The customer service is excellent, too. Every time I have an issue with a credit card, I call and get it fixed. That’s it. Upserve is one of the only companies in the restaurant business that I don’t have to worry about.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Breadcrumb, now Upserve is cloud based and their upfront startup cost is lower than the traditional POS system. I have from them six point-of-sale systems, six of their stands, EMV card readers, cash registers and all printers. I like that the system uses an iPad, which makes the system easy to use. Upserve has been improving Breadcrumb and I was impressed when we had a major outage and I was able to get in touch with the owner. I told them the situation was absolutely ridiculous and the chief operating officer or chief technical officer reached out to me the same day and apologized, issued me a credit in the form that appeals to me, and guaranteed that they're working towards a much better solution that's why they're having those issues.

Also, they’ve assigned the account managers to restaurants so it's nice to have a go-to person. However, since they are an expanding company, the account manager that have been assigned to each restaurant, at least mine, wasn't nearly as knowledgeable as they should be since there's a drastic learning curve for a new employee and it became very evident when one was trying to do certain things. Upserve has a ton of work to do based on a lot of issues we've had in the past. Their communication was not very great at times because they're a growing company. They’re currently going through growing pains although I do know that they will have everything worked out in the near future.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I like the reports that Upserve generates. But I was trying to generate the individual sales of items by servers and I was not able to find it with the Upserve program. Other than that, it gives us everything that we would be trying to track in a very compact package and nice presentation.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Upserve is great and I love it. I find the interface and everything on it to be clean and self-explanatory. It's easy to use and efficient. I would highly recommend it. Upserve should keep doing what they're doing.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Upserve does the processing of our company's sale. They process the credit card transactions in a timely manner and we're happy with their work. Their customer service has been very helpful and they got me the information that I needed in order to be PCI compliant.

Original review: April 2, 2017

When we first opened up our shop back in 2013, I started with Square because it was easily accessible, there were no monthly fees and they had good process and rates. Then as I got into it, I thought that it was a little meek for what we were gonna do and I wanted something a little more robust. I looked at a bunch of different POS systems and I made the decision to go with Breadcrumb and carry forward.

Upserve's been great. The only problem I see is that Breadcrumb had a lot of issues that they're trying to clear up, but I dealt with a couple of people there. I like their platform and what they're doing. Customer service has also been great. Upserve inherited some things when they took over Breadcrumb and the processing so it's tough to deal with it on that aspect. Initially, when I started up with Breadcrumb, I needed a stand. I had the iPad and then as we got going, it was all this iPad. They stopped making credit card swipers for it so I had to upgrade the iPad, the stand and my swiper. I've spent quite a bit of money with them equipment-wise so far.

The thing I don't like are the iPads. I would much prefer a droid-based system for POS. Overall, it's not the easiest stand to work with. Before Breadcrumb, they didn't have on-screen sign-in for credit cards. They implemented that when Upserve took over last June or May and the stands aren't really set up to accommodate that. Also, it's not the greatest hardware by any means with the way they plug in and the cords. There is better equipment out there. I was also a little disappointed that when Upserve took over, they got rid of my flat-rate pricing. The unfortunate thing now is I'm spending extra $2,000 a year due to credit card processing and they didn't really give me much wiggle room with that. They did a bait-and-switch on me when we got into it. They were misleading with what my rates were gonna be.

I spoke with Alison and she was very good and offered to lower some rates and this and that. But I don't know if it was enough to keep me with their program. I am considering changing and looking for other processes right now. But the support has been good. Anytime there's an issue, they've been pretty on point with sending out emails and posting messages on my Breadcrumb software. It's like I can call but I already got the answer. They're working on it and hopefully, it gets resolved. In general, they're getting better and it's definitely moving in the right direction. Upserve has made a lot of positive improvements since they've taken over. But based on my type of business, it's not the best system for most people. Also, for me, at the end of the day, it's how much it's gonna cost me to stay with them versus another company.

Original review: April 1, 2017

We were a part of Breadcrumb, and Upserve bought them. It was my brother who chose to go with them, but I'm the one who's working the POS system and I like it. Breadcrumb was a little inaccurate before Upserve took over. It seems that Upserve has more customer service people on hand, so they happen to work faster. However, I have one issue with the system that I've been trying to get them to work out for a year. We comp check every now and then, such as for discounts, and what I can't do unfortunately is comp happy hour prices. I'm looking to have specific menu items "undiscountable." For instance, if I have a check for a burger and three happy hour beers, when I go to do the discount, the only thing that gets discounted would be the burger, rather than the entire check. I talked to a rep about this matter a long time ago. It would help my business out a lot.

Original review: March 31, 2017

We were a client of Breadcrumb which was owned by Groupon and then we were transferred over to the new ownership last year. We've spoken with our account manager and the transition team back when our account was transferred over to Upserve and it generally has gone pretty well. We call customer service on occasion about business related to our POS and we've gotten most of that resolved fairly quickly.

Our system is a comprehensive platform for a full-service dining restaurant. The interface is easy to understand for people that are comfortable using iPads and iPhones. It's more integrated with using credit cards and it has everything on to the POS in writing. That goes to the kitchen which works well with the system. But, the industry has moved towards EMV or new cards with chips and we don’t have a chip reader. Initially, it was suggested that we would get a chip reader at no extra cost because we were an existing client. But later on, we were told that we do not qualify for that so we never bought our chip reader.

We pay $99 per month for service fees and that is a fairly healthy fee to utilize the service that is obviously benefitting Upserve because they get our credit card transactions and all of the fees that we pay on that. So, right now we're pretty happy with the way that the app works and we got better consistency of our orders and what we get from our customer because everything is put into the POS so we don’t lose transactions or we don’t lose items because they have to be put in that generates a positive revenue aspect for us. If we had a system that was weaker or not as good then the service might skip an item, become an anonymous ticket or forget the charge for it. However, the minus side is the cost of the equipment and we're also missing the chip reader which would be helpful. Other than that, I would recommend it to someone else in the restaurant business.

Original review: March 25, 2017

Upserve has been great. They seem very proactive and any issue has been resolved. Also, I find Breadcrumb to be very user-friendly. Recently, I've been requesting for Breadcrumb to be serviced. We need a few things to be added, for instance, the magnetic strips and also wondering if they could provide us with some charges. It's been a couple of days but no one has gotten back to me. But it's been functioning just fine and it seems like the system is pretty set in place. I have no problem.

Original review: March 24, 2017

We did some research and it seemed like the fees were cheaper at Breadcrumb. Working with their salesperson went well and customer service has been great every time we had to deal with them. Being able to get all the information and pull up the stuff online and print it off, keeping up with everything and seeing what's working and what's not on our menu helps a lot. Everything is great.

Original review: March 23, 2017

We were already a Breadcrumb customer and got transferred over to Upserve when they bought them out. We have our tablets for the point of sale system of Breadcrumb, which was all set up when we got here. I've only had two run-ins where I've had to call customer service and neither time I was able to get the issue resolved. I had a few issues with my point of sale or just small things that have come up where I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone at Upserve at all. There was a day that I waited on hold for an hour and a half and still didn't get an answer. I had an issue the other day and had to call them. It was supposed to be taken care of but as of Monday, it's still not resolved. So I have to call but I never received a call back. With Breadcrumb before, it might take me a while to get in touch with them, but they were very good about getting on it. Now, since I've had Upserve, not so much. I'm not satisfied with their technical assistance.

Original review: March 22, 2017

We did some research several years ago when we were trying to switch over to a more updated POS system and we came across Upserve. I liked that it was a monthly pay thing and that we didn’t have to spend thousands of dollars right up front. There is an ease of use with the system and the software, but as far as it being reliable it hasn’t been. It seems to go down at the worst time and then it's hard to get a hold of somebody when you're in a crunch and you get put on hold for 30 minutes. I wish that their technical support team was more responsive.

Upserve Company Information