3.8/5 (128 ratings)

About Upserve

Upserve is a cutting edge restaurant technology platform, built for restaurateurs to exceed guest expectations. Over 8,000 restaurants across the country use Upserve’s analytics and point-of-sale solutions to run a smoother operation. The Upserve platform helps improve operations from front-of-house to back-of-house by centralizing restaurant services from point-of-sale, analytics, and payments.

Upserve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?

Original review: July 2, 2017

Our corporate office chose Upserve. We log in to the website and we get emails every day from Upserve for each store. It’s pretty user-friendly and I go in and I use it to look at reviews which I thought was pretty cool. It’s such a performance-based industry and it’s good to get a little competitive edge. So, I use it to rank our servers by different categories. It’s a good tool if people use it. If you're a general manager, it’s a really good tool to be able to go in. And it does so many different things to help your business.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Our corporate office got Upserve. It is a reporting system that collects data about what guests spend and what servers are ringing in per person average. It also has some useful information about server stats, what they sell, rankings, table turns, and discounts. It is working really well. I'd recommend them!

Original review: June 28, 2017

Our Director of Operations had used Upserve in another company prior to us taking that. We're using Aloha which we pretty much maintained because the entire group uses it and it makes it synergetic. Also, it's such a huge expense to do any kind of change and we're stuck with it. But their team is great and they have very good service. Whenever we had an issue like setting it up, they got it going. We're using the online software and we like everything about it. We like the amount of data it gives you to be able to check customers and follow discounts and it makes hedging up with daily report unnecessary. Upserve is awesome, it's running good and I highly recommend it.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Our company has Micros POS and I liked that Upserve ties everything together because it makes it easy to look in one spot for gathering of reviews and have a nice graphical representation of the sales as well. So far, I've never had any technical difficulties with Upserve.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Upserve is something that we’re doing corporately throughout our company. There’s a switch that goes to it but I haven't spent a lot of time on it because it was never finished being set up properly. They could never see where it was being read. Also, I had issues with the system working and not getting people out to finish the installation that was originally done. I get reports so something’s working with it but I don’t know how much of it is working properly or how accurate they are. I had someone that was higher up in the company who tried to help me out with it and I still haven’t gotten a response.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Upserve cold-called me a year and a half ago and I agreed to a presentation. I liked what I saw. I followed up on a couple of references that they gave me and it was in the infancy stages of Upserve which was Swipely. I thought it was a really interesting concept and I liked the way it worked, and the information you could get from it. I also like all the points that they made in their presentation and so I agreed to get our group signed up.

It started out fantastic and the initial communication was phenomenal. The only way that this works is by going through our credit card software back-ending though our POS. We were finally getting all of our ducks in a row and getting the COO on and the CFO on board. Converting our credit card processors over to Upserve was laborsome but we ended up making it work. For the first few months, the reports that we were getting were fantastic and the service that we were getting from them seemed to be pretty good. Then Swipely switched to Upserve and their focus was on growing accounts instead of maintaining existing relationships with accounts.

Things started to progressively get worse. The communication and dialogue were always a challenge and we went from getting really good information with the shift prep e-mails, which was useful and was a selling point, to now where there’s not a single shift prep e-mail that’s ever been delivered to any of our restaurants within the past 11 months. It’s been a real sore subject with our group because that was such a useful report to go into the beginning of your shift, planning out your shift, knowing your reservations, knowing your special occasions and knowing your ideal items that are gonna be ordered, and seeing your VIPs coming in.

To no longer have that as a feature is extremely disappointing and I've attempted on multiple occasions and speaking with several people to try to get that rectified but not getting anywhere. Additionally, I’m getting feedback from our unit level managers and general managers that dealing with Upserve and the customer service there is extremely painful and it takes a really long time to get problems resolved. In fact, our downtown Truluck’s in Austin recently wasn’t receiving the shift recap reports at the end of the night for several days. But it wasn’t for a lack of reaching out to them. After several days of asking, they finally got somebody to help figure out what the problem was. Now they’re starting to get those e-mails again, the shift recap e-mails.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I've started up three restaurants utilizing Breadcrumb and was involved in obtaining the equipment from day one as far as getting things set up and programming the information into the POS. I've worked with the team a few times. They were knowledgeable to a point and it depends on who I talk to as they're different departments. I've noticed that the customer service 24-hour folks were really not that knowledgeable about the interworking of Breadcrumb on what one could find answers from the online world.

Sometimes when I'm having software or hardware issues, it's difficult to get somebody available who knows how to solve a real problem. That can be solved over the telephone but often times the representative is not qualified to be able to help... if one can get somebody on the telephone. The problems happened on such a widespread basis that when I call them we get a recorded message that says I'm caller number 78 and to please leave a message and they'll get back to me. It's Saturday night and I'm screwed.

I didn't like anything about their equipment either. The swipers break real easily and the electrical connections also fail readily. Replacing it can sometimes be difficult as well because I can't get somebody on the telephone. Then if I get one, the person on the telephone has me take apart the POS and hold the swipers, so that I can read them a serial number before they'll even send anything to me to replace it which is really odd because I'm not anywhere near this thing and it's once again Saturday night and my swiper is not working. I called so that I can get this swiper back as soon as I possibly can so then they can say that's it's okay to send another swiper.

I also didn't like that the iPad works really slow. It's got all the bugs that any kind of Apple app would have. Sometimes it just spins and I have to wait for a reaction. If I touch the screen wrong, I'll pull up an Apple control bar from the side and it will get in the way. I'd also constantly have all the prompts from Apple that asks to sign me in the iCloud. It happened in a single shift to one person and more than a dozen times. Apple like E-verification on the iPads all the time.

I've called in, we tried to solve the problem by obtaining the passwords to the iCloud because I'm not allowed to have it. Sometimes, these things require an update and my very diligent employees would say that it's not letting them do anything until I update it or it updates automatically. But then they get locked out of the POS and call me frantically because I didn't feel I should have the password protect my POS system from my employees. It happened several times and that's really annoying 'cause they're at work and once again, I'm not. They called me to retrieve the password and they can't call about that because they're not authorized. Even though they're calling from the business that needs to use the POS that we bought and we paid for on a monthly basis.

Since Upserve has purchased Breadcrumb, nothing has changed. There's a lot of problems and we're experiencing more frequent outages on busy weekend nights, which happened last weekend. We were down for three hours and my employees wrote down credit card numbers and hoped that cards don't get declined.

It throws a wrench into everything and I would never ever buy this system again. I am out here in the wind and I feel like I have never had any viable support for this POS system. The best they've ever been able to do is to have them tell me that they would discount me a month worth of my fees. But they are not actively really pursuing any solutions. I've worked with Breadcrumb for four years unfortunately and I have seen no change in their ability to handle any problematic situations in that amount of time through both companies.

Original review: June 19, 2017

The software has been satisfactory, easy to use and reliable. It's very easy to change things when we get new items or menu rollouts.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I mostly use the Upserve equipment to track our week-to-week sales and to see who our top servers and top guests are. If the guests use the same credit card every time, it tracks who has spent the most money in a week. It’s also nice for keeping track of weekly up and down sales, new customers, and best products served.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I called Upserve a couple of times because of issues and they're usually fairly helpful. There have been a couple of times where I've had to wait on hold as long as two hours and that was really rough because our system was down and we're literally writing things down on paper, calculating them with our phones and entering them in after the fact. But there also have been a couple of times where I didn’t really have to wait very long.

We have four locations where we have iPads, routers, and access points. The person that installed the system probably was not qualified to do so because we have a lot of issues with connectivity. We are in offline mode a lot, especially when it seems like when we're the busiest. We're getting ready to purchase some new equipment from Upserve and have an actual professional install it. However, it hasn’t been happening as much lately so I think maybe the last time it was updated helped, but I don’t think it's because of Breadcrumb. I think it's because of the way they just sloppily put it together in the beginning. Also, I like the equipment's software as it's fairly intuitive and you can ease through it. It's also really easy to correct mistakes. Overall, we're pretty happy with it. Once we get this new router and the new access point installed, that would probably eliminate most or all of the issues that we've been having.

Upserve Company Information