3.83/5

Discover a POS system

Upserve

Upserve is a cutting edge restaurant technology platform, built for restaurateurs to exceed guest expectations. Over 8,000 restaurants across the country use Upserve’s analytics and point-of-sale solutions to run a smoother operation. The Upserve platform helps improve operations from front-of-house to back-of-house by centralizing restaurant services from point-of-sale, analytics, and payments.

At a glance, you can find what your customers favorite meal is, how they like it cooked, and what their favorite sides are. In addition to their preferences, Upserve manages server performance, provides easy marketing tools, and is able to manage customer feedback as well as analyze day-to-day sales.

Upserve was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in Rhode Island. It is a smart management assistant and cloud-based point-of-sale specifically built for restaurants and lets owners manage their employees, sales, marketing, budgets, menus and more.

View More View More

Discover a POS system

126 Upserve Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2017

Our Director of Operations had used Upserve in another company prior to us taking that. We're using Aloha which we pretty much maintained because the entire group uses it and it makes it synergetic. Also, it's such a huge expense to do any kind of change and we're stuck with it. But their team is great and they have very good service. Whenever we had an issue like setting it up, they got it going. We're using the online software and we like everything about it. We like the amount of data it gives you to be able to check customers and follow discounts and it makes hedging up with daily report unnecessary. Upserve is awesome, it's running good and I highly recommend it.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Our company has Micros POS and I liked that Upserve ties everything together because it makes it easy to look in one spot for gathering of reviews and have a nice graphical representation of the sales as well. So far, I've never had any technical difficulties with Upserve.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Upserve is something that we’re doing corporately throughout our company. There’s a switch that goes to it but I haven't spent a lot of time on it because it was never finished being set up properly. They could never see where it was being read. Also, I had issues with the system working and not getting people out to finish the installation that was originally done. I get reports so something’s working with it but I don’t know how much of it is working properly or how accurate they are. I had someone that was higher up in the company who tried to help me out with it and I still haven’t gotten a response.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Upserve cold-called me a year and a half ago and I agreed to a presentation. I liked what I saw. I followed up on a couple of references that they gave me and it was in the infancy stages of Upserve which was Swipely. I thought it was a really interesting concept and I liked the way it worked, and the information you could get from it. I also like all the points that they made in their presentation and so I agreed to get our group signed up.

It started out fantastic and the initial communication was phenomenal. The only way that this works is by going through our credit card software back-ending though our POS. We were finally getting all of our ducks in a row and getting the COO on and the CFO on board. Converting our credit card processors over to Upserve was laborsome but we ended up making it work. For the first few months, the reports that we were getting were fantastic and the service that we were getting from them seemed to be pretty good. Then Swipely switched to Upserve and their focus was on growing accounts instead of maintaining existing relationships with accounts.

Things started to progressively get worse. The communication and dialogue were always a challenge and we went from getting really good information with the shift prep e-mails, which was useful and was a selling point, to now where there’s not a single shift prep e-mail that’s ever been delivered to any of our restaurants within the past 11 months. It’s been a real sore subject with our group because that was such a useful report to go into the beginning of your shift, planning out your shift, knowing your reservations, knowing your special occasions and knowing your ideal items that are gonna be ordered, and seeing your VIPs coming in.

To no longer have that as a feature is extremely disappointing and I've attempted on multiple occasions and speaking with several people to try to get that rectified but not getting anywhere. Additionally, I’m getting feedback from our unit level managers and general managers that dealing with Upserve and the customer service there is extremely painful and it takes a really long time to get problems resolved. In fact, our downtown Truluck’s in Austin recently wasn’t receiving the shift recap reports at the end of the night for several days. But it wasn’t for a lack of reaching out to them. After several days of asking, they finally got somebody to help figure out what the problem was. Now they’re starting to get those e-mails again, the shift recap e-mails.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I've started up three restaurants utilizing Breadcrumb and was involved in obtaining the equipment from day one as far as getting things set up and programming the information into the POS. I've worked with the team a few times. They were knowledgeable to a point and it depends on who I talk to as they're different departments. I've noticed that the customer service 24-hour folks were really not that knowledgeable about the interworking of Breadcrumb on what one could find answers from the online world.

Sometimes when I'm having software or hardware issues, it's difficult to get somebody available who knows how to solve a real problem. That can be solved over the telephone but often times the representative is not qualified to be able to help... if one can get somebody on the telephone. The problems happened on such a widespread basis that when I call them we get a recorded message that says I'm caller number 78 and to please leave a message and they'll get back to me. It's Saturday night and I'm screwed.

I didn't like anything about their equipment either. The swipers break real easily and the electrical connections also fail readily. Replacing it can sometimes be difficult as well because I can't get somebody on the telephone. Then if I get one, the person on the telephone has me take apart the POS and hold the swipers, so that I can read them a serial number before they'll even send anything to me to replace it which is really odd because I'm not anywhere near this thing and it's once again Saturday night and my swiper is not working. I called so that I can get this swiper back as soon as I possibly can so then they can say that's it's okay to send another swiper.

I also didn't like that the iPad works really slow. It's got all the bugs that any kind of Apple app would have. Sometimes it just spins and I have to wait for a reaction. If I touch the screen wrong, I'll pull up an Apple control bar from the side and it will get in the way. I'd also constantly have all the prompts from Apple that asks to sign me in the iCloud. It happened in a single shift to one person and more than a dozen times. Apple like E-verification on the iPads all the time.

I've called in, we tried to solve the problem by obtaining the passwords to the iCloud because I'm not allowed to have it. Sometimes, these things require an update and my very diligent employees would say that it's not letting them do anything until I update it or it updates automatically. But then they get locked out of the POS and call me frantically because I didn't feel I should have the password protect my POS system from my employees. It happened several times and that's really annoying 'cause they're at work and once again, I'm not. They called me to retrieve the password and they can't call about that because they're not authorized. Even though they're calling from the business that needs to use the POS that we bought and we paid for on a monthly basis.

Since Upserve has purchased Breadcrumb, nothing has changed. There's a lot of problems and we're experiencing more frequent outages on busy weekend nights, which happened last weekend. We were down for three hours and my employees wrote down credit card numbers and hoped that cards don't get declined.

It throws a wrench into everything and I would never ever buy this system again. I am out here in the wind and I feel like I have never had any viable support for this POS system. The best they've ever been able to do is to have them tell me that they would discount me a month worth of my fees. But they are not actively really pursuing any solutions. I've worked with Breadcrumb for four years unfortunately and I have seen no change in their ability to handle any problematic situations in that amount of time through both companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?

Original review: June 19, 2017

The software has been satisfactory, easy to use and reliable. It's very easy to change things when we get new items or menu rollouts.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I mostly use the Upserve equipment to track our week-to-week sales and to see who our top servers and top guests are. If the guests use the same credit card every time, it tracks who has spent the most money in a week. It’s also nice for keeping track of weekly up and down sales, new customers, and best products served.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I called Upserve a couple of times because of issues and they're usually fairly helpful. There have been a couple of times where I've had to wait on hold as long as two hours and that was really rough because our system was down and we're literally writing things down on paper, calculating them with our phones and entering them in after the fact. But there also have been a couple of times where I didn’t really have to wait very long.

We have four locations where we have iPads, routers, and access points. The person that installed the system probably was not qualified to do so because we have a lot of issues with connectivity. We are in offline mode a lot, especially when it seems like when we're the busiest. We're getting ready to purchase some new equipment from Upserve and have an actual professional install it. However, it hasn’t been happening as much lately so I think maybe the last time it was updated helped, but I don’t think it's because of Breadcrumb. I think it's because of the way they just sloppily put it together in the beginning. Also, I like the equipment's software as it's fairly intuitive and you can ease through it. It's also really easy to correct mistakes. Overall, we're pretty happy with it. Once we get this new router and the new access point installed, that would probably eliminate most or all of the issues that we've been having.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I worked with MICROS in Aloha for a long time and was a little reluctant when the restaurant owner decided to switch from MICROS to Breadcrumb. I had seen it in other restaurants, but he was the one who familiarized me with it. It was a little rocky getting started as the menus that I provided Breadcrumb weren't properly installed and the prices were completely wrong. But the Upserve customer service team was absolutely fantastic. Everybody was very helpful in ironing out what few kinks we had initially during the setup, and once I reprogrammed all of the stuff that should have been put in initially, it's been great and efficient. I love the layout and all the reporting that I get from it, and it's user-friendly now that I've got it programmed exactly how I want. The only knock that I have on it is that when the network goes down, it becomes a little bit of a challenge. But aside from that, I absolutely love it.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Some of the factors that made us decide to use the Upserve POS system included their attractive price point and their being receptive in terms of feedback. Also, we're able to send them information about what our needs are and they are able to make adjustments. The equipment is easy to train on because it is so intuitive and user-friendly. Also, updating the system instantly is fantastic and we don't have to refresh the system and wait for that new data to get fetched. It's also helpful that it's cloud-based and accessible from anywhere. The metrics on the back end in terms of analyzing all the data in terms of product meet reports or sales, all the information that is captured throughout the year is the way that information is displayed. It's educational and useful. There are graphs and charts. It's definitely more in-depth than the standard issue in POS system.

All of my customer service experiences with Upserve has been timely and professional. But we have had some challenges with them as a whole with the amount of growth that the company is seeing. They were growing at a rate that was difficult for them to sustain from a server's perspective so we experienced some outages which were difficult. But they've been responsive in terms of rectifying the situation and addressing any payment issues that arise. In times when there's a large issue, it can be difficult because everyone is calling at the same time but if there's an individual light issue to our location and the phone lines aren't overwhelmed, it's been positive.

Upserve Company Information