3.83/5

Discover a POS system

Upserve

Upserve is a cutting edge restaurant technology platform, built for restaurateurs to exceed guest expectations. Over 8,000 restaurants across the country use Upserve’s analytics and point-of-sale solutions to run a smoother operation. The Upserve platform helps improve operations from front-of-house to back-of-house by centralizing restaurant services from point-of-sale, analytics, and payments.

At a glance, you can find what your customers favorite meal is, how they like it cooked, and what their favorite sides are. In addition to their preferences, Upserve manages server performance, provides easy marketing tools, and is able to manage customer feedback as well as analyze day-to-day sales.

Upserve was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in Rhode Island. It is a smart management assistant and cloud-based point-of-sale specifically built for restaurants and lets owners manage their employees, sales, marketing, budgets, menus and more.

View More View More

Discover a POS system

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Upserve Reviews

Original review: April 26, 2019

I just had a final conversation with this company. Processing my charges went fine, yet after a review with my acct exec I was promised reductions. No follow up after 6 months, switched processors. Still got charged fees for 4 months. No integrity.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Upserve makes a great, user friendly software with an easy dashboard to navigate! Their customer service has been so friendly and helpful too whenever we have any questions regarding their POS system and analytics.

Get expert buying tips about POS Systems delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I've worked at a restaurant that uses Upserve for a year now as a server and it has made my job so much easier! It was simple to learn and it's user friendly dashboard definitely sets it apart from other POS systems I have used in the past.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

This company's tactics are the worst. Their sales teams, makes promises they cannot keep. Then their software has so many issues, and expect you to work around their mistakes and causes you more work! They cannot even process a simple refund same day! They charge you for services which are not completed! This company is Scam and very clear why change names frequently! Please do yourself and go with another company!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Received an invoice attached on December 5, 2017 saying we were we charged $25.00 for a "Verifone fee". We already are charged monthly for our service at $99.00. I called to inquire about the "new" fee. The rep said I was not the only one calling and that no one had been notified. He assured me that I would receive a call back letting me know why this fee was being charged. IT is also important to note we already have a Verifone account that we pay $40 a month for. I waited nine full business days and never received a call. I called back on December 19. 2017. Once again they could not answer my question. Our bill has been increased by 25% for a calendar year with no contact, information etc. I don't think this can actually be done or should be done. You are suppose to have permission to run a client's credit card for a charge correct? Thank you for your help with this issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?

Original review: July 5, 2017

The Upserve equipment was easy to use and on the screen, there’s a credit card to swipe, easy to go, and no extra help lines they have to reach around in the system when you press the button. I find some of the parts of the report confusing sometimes like the productions that we have here. I feel like I don’t really see them reflected on the report and I'm not sure where they go. It could be an update thing because I’m pretty sure the software is capable of doing it. Also, I only use two pages out of a four and when I look through it, sometimes it doesn’t make sense. But it’s been a pleasant experience and it’s pretty essential to the establishment.

Original review: July 4, 2017

In the incarnations between Swipely being bought up by Upserve and then acquiring or merging with Breadcrumb, it's hard to maintain and continue with staffing because things get moved around quite a bit. I'm used to that, but I would like to at least spend one season where I know the name of the person who’s handling my account and someone who knows something about my business. That would be advantageous.

But I'm very supportive, patient and understanding because I know what happens when there are acquisitions and expansion. It just took a little bit of pulling to get the support I needed. But when I got them, they were efficient. They have been very positive and very helpful. I've had a high level of responsiveness when I've had issues that have come up and I'm extremely happy with the reporting. I'm just frustrated that there's been a high turnover of account representative and I can't keep anyone longer.

I'm a season restaurant so I'm only open for five months in a year and I usually go through at least two reps so it's hard and I'm waiting again. I was not made aware that my previous account rep in May, John, left and I have a new account rep. I think it's incumbent on Upserve to reach out to their clients as opposed to me trying to shake down who my new account rep is. I would think that if you take over a position and you have 12 accounts, you would reach out to those accounts and say, “John is no longer with Upserve. I'm your new contact. I've done some research on your business and read through your case notes. I'm here if you need me. Thanks.” I'm still waiting for that.

At the beginning of 2016, I converted from MICROS to Aloha. I had looked very closely at Breadcrumb, but I'm out in Cape Cod which is quite remote and I don’t have a lot of tech support. So, although there were advantages to Breadcrumb, I felt that I needed a more robust system with actual individual who could literally drive out and troubleshoot if I needed it.

Additionally, I get invaluable information with their equipment. Prior to Upserve, I was paying for credit card processing to the tune of close to $30,000 a year and getting nothing for it. Now, I'm getting a wealth of information, on who we're selling to, what, where, why, and then when the restaurant is critical. I get a daily and weekly summary in an email which is fantastic because the reporting on Aloha can be clunky and tedious so I have to go in and pull out different reports. Plus, I like the way the information is delivered to me via Upserve. But it would be helpful if they could have 24/7 credit card lookup which is what I had with MICROS help desk. But still, I am very happy and I want to be happy. I'm not leaving but I hope the dust settles and they can get some consistency in staffing.

Original review: July 3, 2017

We use Upserve's reporting system so that we can go in and check on our servers discounts and check averages, guest counts, etc. I like how detailed the reporting is. We're currently also doing our Loyalty Program through Upserve which we're trying to get to takeoff now. We just recently remodeled the program to try to get more people involved with it. But any interaction I've ever had with customer service representatives has always been a good one. They’ve been super helpful and I like that they’re easy to contact personally. So, any time that we have any issues we don’t wait days to hear back from them. They are very quick to get back to us with any concerns that we may have. We are very happy with our service. They are doing a great job and we are certainly satisfied here at the Winton Road Distillery. Overall, it's been a terrific experience for us.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Our corporate office chose Upserve. We log in to the website and we get emails every day from Upserve for each store. It’s pretty user-friendly and I go in and I use it to look at reviews which I thought was pretty cool. It’s such a performance-based industry and it’s good to get a little competitive edge. So, I use it to rank our servers by different categories. It’s a good tool if people use it. If you're a general manager, it’s a really good tool to be able to go in. And it does so many different things to help your business.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Our corporate office got Upserve. It is a reporting system that collects data about what guests spend and what servers are ringing in per person average. It also has some useful information about server stats, what they sell, rankings, table turns, and discounts. It is working really well. I'd recommend them!

Upserve expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Upserve was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in Rhode Island. It is a POS system specifically for restaurants and lets owners manage employees, sales, marketing, budgets, menus and more.

• Loyalty program: Upserve gives restaurants the ability to have a loyalty program to turn one-time customers into regulars. The program links to customers’ credit cards so they don’t have to keep track of a rewards card or coupons and restaurateurs don’t need to issue them.

• Demos: Upserve will send a short product demo to all interested consumers who fill out a short form. They guarantee not to send spam or multiple emails after sending the demo.

• Clear pricing: Interested customers can easily see exactly what each of Upserve’s packages will cost and what they include by visiting the company’s website. They do not need to fill out any forms or provide the company with their contact information.

• Resources: The Upserve website has an extensive library of resources for restaurant owners and stakeholders, Including blog posts, infographics, case studies and quizzes. Several webinars are also available for free.

• Security: Upserve helps business owners keep customers’ data and payment information secure. The POS uses SSL-Extended Verification encryption and works with outside parties to review their security procedures.

• Best for: Upserve is best for restaurant owners who want a wide variety of service options with a POS.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs