toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Upserve

Hi Marshall - Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s customers like you that help Upserve continue to grow and improve. As your dedicated Account Manager, Erika would like to thank you for this great review. If there is anything she can do, or if questions arise in the future, do not hesitate to reach out to her directly.

Please keep the information listed below for future reference. Erika's calendar link is the best way to set up a time to talk, do further trainings, or if there is anything support cannot answer. Once again, we truly appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide us with feedback. Have a great week!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

Upserve was good in letting me know what the costs were and made an easy transition. I like the reporting tool that they give me. The simplest, neatest thing is the email that comes everyday. It's a great break down. It gives me the info I need and a quick snapshot of all they can do. They've got so much to offer that I almost need more time to spend with all the tools so I could advance the benefits I can get from the system. All the interactions I have with the customer service team have been really easy. Any questions I have, they're quick to respond. I just shoot off an email. They reach out with updates they have without me having to hunt them down. They’re very interactive and helpful with me as far as communication.

Hi, Brady.

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s customers like you that help Upserve continue to grow and improve. We are happy to know you value the Upserve experience, and how we can better help your business grow with what we provide.

In terms of the your frustration about deposits hitting your account, we want to start by saying we understand your frustration. While it is not something we can change, we assure you that we are working diligently to make sure you get your money in a timely manner. Upserve has dedicated support across the board, and we want you to take advantage of that support to better help run your business, and to address any issues you may have.

Once again, thank you for the positive feedback, and we value you being a loyal customer.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

The Upserve rep was great. I was shown enough cool stuff to make me want to switch. I have their credit card processing and I like all the bells and whistles on the online back office, which is the manager's logbook and calendar that shows our sales by hour for any date in the past. I can grow some data on what happens on different holidays. I can go back to last year's Mother's Day or whenever and see when we got the busiest. But like every business owner, I'm frustrated that we don't get our money when we want it. Because of Columbus Day, which is a made-up reason to not give me my money, I had Thursday, Friday, and Saturday's sales all sitting in someone else's bank account until today.

Upserve

Hi Sortir! Thank you for taking the time to provide us such positive feedback on your Upserve experience thus far. I have spoken with your account manager Allison who has informed me that you two have already been introduced. She will be your direct point of contact moving forward with any questions that may come up. Allison shared that you guys may be a great fit for our Kitchen Display System (KDS). We are excited to have you on board and look forward to working with you. Thanks again for your time; it is customers like you that make our team better!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

At the time when I opened my business a few years ago, I was big on the Wi-Fi tablet because I worked in a nightclub for a long time and I didn't want to do the hardwired, PC version. We got Breadcrumb and they got bought out by Upserve. Upserve has been great so far. Their customer service team is hands down fantastic. The new reports that I get are much better from the previous one that we had at Breadcrumb. Super detailed and very useful information. I heard that they're are also doing the kitchen monitors, which I'm very interested in.

Upserve

Hi Michael! Thank you for the stellar review. It’s customers like you that help Upserve continue to grow and improve. I have spoken with your account manager Allison who shared that you guys were able to connect over the phone today. We are excited to hear that you are a happy customer and we will continue to work to provide you with the best product and customer service that we can. Hope you have a great weekend!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

Upserve seems to be operating in a much better system since they bought Breadcrumb. The only time we ever had any issues were when we were doing updates and then sometimes the updates won't fully configure the way we were hoping they would. That only happened twice over the updates. They've been doing a lot of updates lately as they keep trying to make the product better. But overall, I'm very happy with them.

Some of the factors that made us decide to use the Upserve POS system included their attractive price point and their being receptive in terms of feedback. Also, we're able to send them information about what our needs are and they are able to make adjustments. The equipment is easy to train on because it is so intuitive and user-friendly. Also, updating the system instantly is fantastic and we don't have to refresh the system and wait for that new data to get fetched. It's also helpful that it's cloud-based and accessible from anywhere. The metrics on the back end in terms of analyzing all the data in terms of product meet reports or sales, all the information that is captured throughout the year is the way that information is displayed. It's educational and useful. There are graphs and charts. It's definitely more in-depth than the standard issue in POS system.

All of my customer service experiences with Upserve has been timely and professional. But we have had some challenges with them as a whole with the amount of growth that the company is seeing. They were growing at a rate that was difficult for them to sustain from a server's perspective so we experienced some outages which were difficult. But they've been responsive in terms of rectifying the situation and addressing any payment issues that arise. In times when there's a large issue, it can be difficult because everyone is calling at the same time but if there's an individual light issue to our location and the phone lines aren't overwhelmed, it's been positive.

We, as a restaurant, have been a part of Breadcrumb for the most part and then got into Upserve when they bought Breadcrumb out. It’s gotten definitely better since they acquired Breadcrumb. It’s very user-friendly and interactions with their staff were all positive. But there were some computer outages especially since we opened. They bought them out from Groupon but they are trying to switch service to Amazon and there’s a lot of bugs along the way. We experienced those bugs on our end whenever they went offline and couldn’t accept the payments. But we’ve gotten used to the outages which I don’t know if it’s a good or bad thing.

The Breadcrumb equipment is simple and works like an iPhone. If we call because of an issue, there's a recording telling us why that it's not a huge problem and it comes back up quickly. There had been a few times where we couldn't do anything until the next day but it's very rare. Usually, within a couple of hours we're up and running again. It's simple to train new employees to use it if they've used an iPhone. The only thing that I would wish that would be helpful for us is when we put things on hold, we could set how long it's on hold and then it automatically fires itself. It would be convenient.

The Upserve POS system is much more reasonable than traditional ones like Micros or Aloha. Moreover, its user interface is much more intuitive. I have used Breadcrumb in the past with some of our other restaurants. Even before Upserve purchased Breadcrumb, our rep has been Christian and he has been absolutely helpful with anything that I've needed. However, when Upserve partnered with GrubHub for the integration of their technologies, we signed up for that service, and someone reached out and said that it was going to be more expensive and quoted me one price. I asked some more questions and said, "Okay, we can go ahead on that price." Then he said, “Actually, that price is wrong. It’s double what we had originally quoted." That was a negative thing — to double the cost of the service just to have it go through our POS, which really isn't that big of an advantage for us.

Upserve always helps me whenever we lose an authorization due to batching of that nature and everybody has been nice. The equipment works. I can tweak it a lot and I like its versatility.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?

Upserve's equipment are user-friendly and easy to learn. They've got training screens, so we give them information and they pretend they’re writing orders. Overall, Upserve has been reliable.

I've been in the business for over 20 years. I'm usually in a rush because the restaurant business is busy. We had the Micros for a long time and it's better than Breadcrumb. Micros was easier to use and there was a direct line after our line that we could call and we could do it ourselves - press number 2, put in all your information and then we were able to retrieve some credit card information ourselves on the weekends or after hours which was really helpful. With Breadcrumb, I find it really hard to get any help. They aren't able to pull credit card numbers for us that easy. On the weekends, they can't do anything at all and during the week, sometimes they'll pass me over to three or four different people before I get to somebody that can really help me and it also takes so many different steps.

I'd be put on hold and I'd get frustrated. I can't be on hold and the customers don't want to hear that. They want to be able to go and it's very frustrating because we have people waiting. They also got a lot of new people training. They have a lot of people not trained enough and don't know what to do. We don't use the Upserve equipment that often and all we do is have our POS. We only call when there is an issue with the credit card. Upserve needs to be improved.

We use Swipely for all of our four locations. We started utilizing it in San Antonio first. We use the ePads for customers to check out with and so we could monitor all of that information through the website. I also like the fact that we could see customer feedback more easily, as well as being able to send them emails and promotions once they've signed up. Tim, one of their technical support reps, has been helping us out a lot over the last course of the year. He would call us and come in anytime we have issues with our ePads or if we have any questions. All in all, it's been a great experience seeing all the different customer feedback.

The owners of the business switched into Upserve. They handled all that for us and then I took over. We have the POS iPad now and I like that it's fairly easy to use. It gets slow sometimes but it can be due to the internet as there's probably a lot of people on it.The Upserve sales team has been pretty good so far. When I used the Breadcrumb, I had a problem right when they switched where our system was down for a few times. That was pretty bad. It took a while so we ended up using Square backup. Even the phone line was down at that time so there was no way to get a hold of them or anybody. It was two days when that happened. I've got a buddy in mind that opened a restaurant not too far from us and I told him to switch and get Breadcrumb. So, he did and he had the same problem.

There is a thing on the website saying the engineers were working on it so I think it really happened at a bad timing for us because it was during business time. But all of the computer stuff usually happens when we're crazy busy. There is never a good time. And I don't know if there was something with the switch from Breacrumb or Upserve, but I'm sure there were things that the Breadcrumb people before were not doing right. I know how those transitions go sometimes. But we stuck it out and it seems to be working pretty good. The only thing that we can't do but would want to is split items because we do a lot of split checks here.

I have the service from Breadcrumb and it’s really user-friendly and simple. My boyfriend was also here serving and training me. I asked him what he thought about it and he liked it a lot. I used Aloha before and it’s totally different and more complicated. The screen looks way more complicated to mess with whereas with Breadcrumbs, there is really no way to mess it up. I have to type more but it’s faster with the whole thing overall, and it’s way more efficient than Aloha.

However, we do Craft open for $10 and specials here like Sangria towers and Mimosa pitchers and if it changes prices, we have to go in and do open drink for it. There’s not always a secure button but that’s because we’re always changing our things up, too. I’ve only trained three days here so, I haven’t had too much time on it. But they were having us type everything in and do open food and drinks. We don’t get busy enough to have a problem with that. I haven’t worked with anything simpler. I would definitely recommend it.

I like the Upserve program itself when it’s working. The reporting’s really robust and the functionality is great. It’s very simple and straightforward, which is why I’ll be sad to go. Because when it is working and it’s not going down and crashing on me over and over again, it’s wonderful. But it’s the customer service that failed for me. And when something goes wrong, and when it’s the fault of Breadcrumb, I expect it to be resolved, taken care of, and things need to be made right. That hasn’t happened so I’m really dissatisfied. In terms of the program, I’m satisfied. I can work with the systematic problems the company has and which I know they’re working on. I can roll through that. What I can’t deal with is not getting help when I need it and losing money. The lack of customer service can ruin an experience so much that it doesn’t matter that the platform’s great and works most of the time.

I had a horrific experience and right now, I’m in the process of doing a major clean-up so that I can put everything over to a new system once we decide what we’re going to do. Upserve has lost us thousands of dollars in the past couple of months and there’s been no restitution made. There’s been some attempts to help restore the relationship, but I haven’t heard from anybody in a while. I’ve given up because it was taking so much effort and energy for me to chase people down to get help with anything.

I’m really angry. The company doesn’t care about our business at all but only about making money off us. And we’ve been spending good money to lose money, which is not at all helpful. I don’t plan on being with Breadcrumb much longer. I’m trying to systematically and operationally get all my ducks in place so that I can transition in a way that doesn’t disrupt my business. But there’s already been so many disruptions as a result of Breadcrumb’s failings. Also, I have friends all over the country in the restaurant business that are all saying the same thing. Upserve's gonna experience a big mass exodus over the next couple of months if they don’t make some serious changes.

We have been using Upserve for a while and overall, it’s fine. The account manager explains the situation clearly and I know what to expect. However, if the agent who answers the phone had better product knowledge to address my issue, I wouldn’t have to escalate it to my account manager. I am not dissatisfied with their service but a little improvement will be helpful for them.

We're using Upserve's payment system where I can see the data. I like the analysis part, it's easy to use. However, we have the sales by the lunch time and dinner time and the system only provides the sales per day, so we're not able to see the sales per shift. But they have one function that's like the percentage of the day. Overall, we've had a pretty good experience using the payment system.

We had Breadcrumb before they were acquired by Upserve. We've been using Breadcrumb for about a year then there was a string of information via email keeping us posted on the acquisition and the changes that were coming. The best part of the Breadcrumb software was the interface for it was very intuitive. It's very great in keeping with what most people were used to do with their Apple products already like the interface of it, terminals and the point-of-sales. The biggest draw was the fluidity for the staff. There were even a few things that we were able to figure out by guessing because we were thinking, “Oh, it would be cool of it did this.” Then we tried it and it worked. Also, there were little surprises just because of how in-tuned people are especially to their cell phones.

There has definitely been an improvement since Upserve took over. All along the way, things were cleared up. It was transparent even with Breadcrumb as to where were the problems and the shortcomings. They were expanding too rapidly and had more of their resources dedicated to the sales department and activations team than they did to tech support. That was one of the first things that were addressed in the emails going out to Upserve. When Upserve took over, they restructured where the focus is going to be for all the other accounts. They did more to help the current accounts and customers. Also, there was more response. However, lately, there's a little bit of a dip in the customer support.

Over the last three months, there was something big that was going on. There has been some outages that had to do with servers, and they put us in a bad spot. It was systemic so it was every account everywhere calling all at the same time. It has been a little harder lately than it was initially to get someone on the phone who could give you at least an update on things. Whatever it was, they have worked it out.

The only thing that stands out as a problem is the way in which Breadcrumb goes about its offline mode. The offline mode is great and necessary because if you couldn’t do that, to keep running off of Wi-Fi would be too much of a risk. Once you're in offline mode, the terminals can't talk to each other, which means when you start to check at one location, you can't ring anything in at a different terminal. It won't mirror the check and it won't mirror the two different terminals until you go back online. It's a small headache but I've seen a few other systems that were pitched to me and they get around that by creating a network redundancy so that even when the network might’ve been down, when it was in offline mode, all of the units were still an interior shell of the network, so they’ll communicate. That was cool and something that would be a vast improvement on what we've been doing. However, the offline stuff only happens from time to time and it's minor.

We've been using Upserve on two of our screens for about a year now. We have the wireless system, and when it first got rolling, someone called us and she was really helpful. Haven't had any problems since. It's good to have and it's been great.

We started with the transition to Upserve when another person was managing the space. We have a pub. The owner has been on the phone with Upserve’s reps a couple of times beginning the inception of it, tying in with other products like the POS system, working through Breadcrumb, and all of the good stuff. For our POS system, we do everything off of large like Android tablet devices. We have two of the large ones and two of the small ones. They are convenient to use but sometimes they run into issues with connecting to the wireless connection that’s dedicated to the POS system. Also, if one of them goes down or if there’s any kind of specific updates with the POS system, there’s an issue. And if you're in the middle of the shift and that upgrade happens at 3:00 o’clock on a Saturday, it can really be disruptive to service.

There’s a definite convenience to Breadcrumb but there’s a recent upgrade that’s frustrating. It’s hard to tag how your day is going because when you look up the report for the day, it’s now only showing closed checks instead of all the checks that are open as well. So, when you're getting a gist of how your waiters’ sales are going, it takes calculations now. We like to try to have each of our employees meet a certain goal on their shift, and now it’s hard for them to be able to see where they’re standing at a point in their shift. And then some of the itemization specifically in Breadcrumb, when you’re doing the menu setup, the options make it difficult to copy and transfer information over to similar products that might be in the same modifier group. Sometimes this makes the process really arduous. These situations are specific to the model of the structure of the POS system.

Upserve was a recommendation to us by another restaurant owner, and it's all good with their reps. They're easy to work with and it was also easy to train on their platform. I liked that our staff is already familiar with it and the equipment itself. However, the software goes offline all the time. It's been a process with it as it was a little difficult at the beginning but it continues to get better. Overall, I'm still happy with Upserve.

We use Upserve POS system in our company. I’ve been with the company for almost five years and I personally haven't had a problem with Upserve. They help and give me whatever I need right away every time I called, but our company owner always complains that it takes a little longer to get a hold of somebody to help him whenever we’re trying to get a number.

The Upserve log is definitely beneficial to us in keeping up-to-date on communication on a regular basis. I like how it sends every day to the email so I have a spot to go and the information’s all there to check.

Breadcrumb by Upserve is an easy to use and nice software. Its price is one of the most competitive and it is also iPad-based. At that time, we could do whatever we wanted with it. When I first bought into the program, I had support tickets and menu set up and our initial salesman was pretty cool. Their customer service was just like the occasional tech support if something goes down and were pretty helpful. Now that Upserve bought them, it's a lot better. Breadcrumb was pretty tiny, but they’ve gotten much better at answering their phones. They have really tried to make their customer service a lot more user-friendly because now, we have an actual customer rep whom we have a phone number for direct calls. And compared to a lot of companies, they’re pretty easy to deal with. Overall, it’s been a real positive experience.

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We love hearing how our customers are using the data and strive to provide not only an outstanding product, but an outstanding customer experience as well.

Lauren

Original review: April 27, 2017

We really liked what Upserve was offering and all the information that’s available to us. The best part is getting the insight to your guest. I love the reports. I love knowing who my number one spenders are during the week, what they're buying, and who’s waiting on them. It's been a very smooth and awesome experience with Upserve.

I've had to call a bunch of times for random issues especially when we go offline, and the people at Upserve have all been super-duper helpful. Right now, we just have the bare bones basic Upserve equipment from three years ago when we opened. We have the iPads, printers and the router or the modem. We've had nothing but issues, though. The iPads are intuitive and they're easy to use, but every now and then, our printers get disconnected from everything, so we have to go in and reassign them all. That gets frustrating because sometimes we can't get tickets to print. We don't have the EMV readers or anything yet. We're getting ready to upgrade to those, so that will be a whole new experience starting soon.

In comparison to other POS systems that I've used, like ShopKeep, I don't like Upserve. The display is not user-friendly and putting menu options is very tedious and multi-layered. There are constant crashes on our system. In fact, I'm waiting for the rep to find out what happened to my sales report. I have issues with crossing out my master report on Friday and there are these security compromises. Also, the customer service I get is inconsistent. For instance, I emailed my rep on Tuesday. She got back to me two days after and gave me access to her calendar to talk but I can't speak to her until late today when I'm supposed to be done with work for the day to deal with some issues from the 8th. That's how long it takes to deal with that. There is an emergency number I can call but I don't know if they are familiar with our account, so I try to stick with one person when dealing with important matters.

We got Aloha through SDCR and Upserve was an addition you can get on it. It is more summarizing and easy to view versus the Aloha system on the back end. The customer service and technical support has been great, really responsive on the emails.

We were Swipely customers who were transferred to Upserve and since we're comfortable with how things are going, we haven't made any changes. We have the MICROS POS system and we like its ease of use the most. When we've had issues processing, I've called the technical support a couple of times and they've been helpful. The only bad experience I've had here was when there was a chaos the other evening when I called, and Upserve and Breadcrumb were having issues processing credit cards, so there was a long telephone wait and their systems were done for a little while. Aside from that, everything has been easy going.

We started out with Breadcrumbs before and then moved to Upserve and then Swipely. We're a smaller company so the POSitouch is too expensive. We're not too high volume and we only use one system 'cause our capacity is 75. We have the iPads and two of the terminals because we use another system for cash and we use credit card with the little machine from them. Then we had an upgrade a year ago but everything is easy to work with and self-explanatory once we got used to it. We can even readjust it on our own if we have to.

However, it shuts down a lot and then it takes a while in order to get the service. It went out last Saturday for about two and a half hours between our busiest time in the evening and it's hard to fix. We have three venues that use Breadcrumb and it does that because of the high volume on weekends. But, they were very helpful when we did talk to them, though it usually takes about 30 minutes or so to get someone on the line quick during the busy times. Other than that, I've had a better experience with them than I have with Aloha or the other companies.

Upserve is good and they handle any problems we had. It's super easy to train people on how to use the Upserve equipment. I know we've had a huge issue trying to get the rewards program set up. I haven't done that part of it. It's one bid on the other guys and I know it's been very slow to get it implemented. Overall, it's been positive and satisfying.

I chose Breadcrumb among others because of their price. Everything is almost good. All the time their sales team are nice but sometimes we feel that some of their representatives are not helping us through it. The Upserve equipment is inexpensive and it's really convenient for us. We purchased the point of sale system, but we just have a problem, the system crashes often. It used to be real bad at the beginning but it's gotten better.

The problem still seems to be a concern for us because it happens while we're busy or at the end of the day when we are tired and ready to go home. A lot of times, we fetch the wrong reports and when we have to call about it, it would be a long wait having about 60 people ahead of us. The technical support is very helpful once we get to them and they apologize if there's a problem. For the most part, 95% of the time, they really do help us and solve the problem but there have been times when they're not sure. Overall, it was all good except for that one problem. It's a nightmare when that happens.

Upserve is competitively priced and I love the ease of their reporting. I also love the fact that their reporting pools, for example, customer reviews from everywhere on our business, so with one click I can see all the reviews. It's pretty cool and I can do sales contest based on their data. Another thing that I enjoy about them is that I haven't had to call tech support. Overall, my experience with Upserve has been easy. I would recommend them.

Hi Jorge,

I'm glad that the Upserve Live Mobile App and reporting have been so helpful for you in accessing the information no matter where you are. Customer service is most important to us, I'm glad to hear that your experience with our Support Team was positive. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review.

Original review: April 8, 2017

We use Upserve for credit card processing and me as a general manager and owner is the only one with this application on the phone who can see all the transactions being done. I use the software on my cell phone, and it's very helpful because I get an email every day before the shift starts off and knowing of how the night is going to be on Upserve. From home, I can look on the application what the restaurant is doing. The customer service is excellent, too. Every time I have an issue with a credit card, I call and get it fixed. That’s it. Upserve is one of the only companies in the restaurant business that I don’t have to worry about.

Upserve Company Profile