2. Business Services
  3. POS Systems

3.7/5 (133 ratings)

About Upserve

Upserve is a cutting edge restaurant technology platform, built for restaurateurs to exceed guest expectations. Over 8,000 restaurants across the country use Upserve’s analytics and point-of-sale solutions to run a smoother operation. The Upserve platform helps improve operations from front-of-house to back-of-house by centralizing restaurant services from point-of-sale, analytics, and payments.

Upserve Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Upserve?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Our small restaurant group has been Upserve/Breadcrumb clients since 2016. They have progressively gotten worse each year with each acquisition. As it currently stands, they do not have a hardware solution that works to accept Apple Pay consistently. How is it possible that in 2021 that a POS company struggle to accept Apply Pay? Beyond this, their backend menu infrastructure is terribly outdated and broken. The most simple of tasks turns into a nightmare with them. I would recommend any of my restaurant friends to stay far away from Upserve.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I am very disappointed in the recent service with Upserve. It was excellent when it was Breadcrumb and even with the sell to Upserve but I consider it so bad now that I want to change. I am currently looking for a new POS service. So sad.

Get buying tips about POS Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

UPS has delivered packages to my business for thirty years with no problem. Three weeks ago, I was looking for a package from a company I have ordered from numerous times, I stepped across the street to get a Pepsi and while I was gone UPS came and didn't leave the package because "no one was there to sign for it," they had never required a signature before. I called the shipper and he hadn't required a signature. I finally got someone at UPS, they were far away and finally figured out I wanted my package and told me I could pick it up at their distribution facility sometime within the next six hours.

I figured I would wait until they came back the next day to attempt to re-deliver; he came back, turned around and left, didn't even bother to get out of the truck. The shipper refunded my purchase but we had a scuffle about the shipping charges which he finally agreed to do. I won't purchase from somebody who ships via UPS. And people wonder why we use Amazon.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I have been using Upserve/Breadcrumb for many years. When it was solely breadcrumb, the Customer Support was top notch. When Upserve acquired them I noticed the Customer Support agents gradually became less and less knowledgeable and if I had a complex issue they would just blame my internet provider, anything but them because they really couldn't tell me what the problem is. The Account Manager was effectively useless when I shared concerns and would take several days to respond to emails. If I emailed her on a Thursday afternoon I would likely expect a response from her Tuesday afternoon simple back and forth emails would span a matter of weeks with no real solution to issues.

As of late when you have a live issue with your POS systems and you call their helpline you will get an automated voice telling you "we have recently been answering calls in about 1 Hour and 30 minutes" and she's not lying trust me. They have an online support chat which can be a little quicker but not always. The problem with the online chat is you often get disconnected out of nowhere and then you have to start from square one with a new agent and explain everything all over again. I would not recommend using Upserve under any circumstances

Original review: June 20, 2021

I ordered something for my dad for Father's Day. It was coming from a long way so I paid extra shipping so I could get it by Father's Day yesterday at 7:00 p.m. I was told that my package was undeliverable. UPS delivers to my house daily. It is not undeliverable address. I couldn't get it today because they are closed and it's a Saturday so my dad does not get his Father's Day present on Sunday and I paid extra for it

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I upgraded to Upserve Pro From Breadcrumb. It suppose to be better but same product more expensive version. I think I throw my money away by upgrading. Terrible customer support (Account Managers). Good luck getting in touch with customer support if you have an emergency. Goes offline so often it is not fun. They were suppose to set up my loyalty program but never did. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from this outdated company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I've been in the restaurant business for 30 years and I have never encountered such an inept company. They promised me the world with all these awesome helpful functions. But so far NOT a single one works. Customer service: They said they would train me completely and be there every step of the way. Result: They scheduled me 3 one hour phone training sessions. Problem is they are a 3 hour time difference and they had no availability. So I'm forced to go into work at 6am to accommodate their schedule.

Strike 1! Tip Pooling: One of the reasons I signed up. The system promised to take all my server Tips and spread them accordingly to the back of the house. Based on my criteria. Result: It doesn't actually work. Their program doesn't actually take any money from the servers. It just tells you what YOU need to pay your back of house. So essentially you're paying out of your own pocket and the servers aren't paying anything.

Strike 2! Pay ins and Pay outs: Was very excited about this. However this doesn't work either. Doesn't take into account the cash transactions out of the same cash drawer.

Strike 3! So many more things. I feel like I'm crazy. It's obvious that no one at this company has ever actually worked in a restaurant. Although when brought to their attention they like to argue with me to prove that they are right. I assure you they are not.

I went into this very excited and looking forward to a lot of great features. The above mentioned are just a few. They don't track Bi-weekly pay periods, Trying to add mods or tax to a category, Has to be done to each individual item! Uggh. So many more things, JUST RUN! I promise you I am not just trying to be a **. This company will lie to you to get you to sign that three year agreement (that they failed to mention to me).

Original review: April 26, 2019

I just had a final conversation with this company. Processing my charges went fine, yet after a review with my acct exec I was promised reductions. No follow up after 6 months, switched processors. Still got charged fees for 4 months. No integrity.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Upserve makes a great, user friendly software with an easy dashboard to navigate! Their customer service has been so friendly and helpful too whenever we have any questions regarding their POS system and analytics.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I've worked at a restaurant that uses Upserve for a year now as a server and it has made my job so much easier! It was simple to learn and it's user friendly dashboard definitely sets it apart from other POS systems I have used in the past.

Upserve author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Upserve was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in Rhode Island. It is a POS system specifically for restaurants and lets owners manage employees, sales, marketing, budgets, menus and more.

• Loyalty program: Upserve gives restaurants the ability to have a loyalty program to turn one-time customers into regulars. The program links to customers’ credit cards so they don’t have to keep track of a rewards card or coupons and restaurateurs don’t need to issue them.

• Demos: Upserve will send a short product demo to all interested consumers who fill out a short form. They guarantee not to send spam or multiple emails after sending the demo.

• Clear pricing: Interested customers can easily see exactly what each of Upserve’s packages will cost and what they include by visiting the company’s website. They do not need to fill out any forms or provide the company with their contact information.

• Resources: The Upserve website has an extensive library of resources for restaurant owners and stakeholders, Including blog posts, infographics, case studies and quizzes. Several webinars are also available for free.

• Security: Upserve helps business owners keep customers’ data and payment information secure. The POS uses SSL-Extended Verification encryption and works with outside parties to review their security procedures.

Upserve Company Information