Wal-Mart Pet Department

Compare Pet Stores

Research top Pet Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am mortified by the condition of the fish sold at Wal-Mart! Store #1207, 725 N. Tyndall Parkway, Callaway, Fl, 850.785.6011, to be exact. I don't have exotic pets, so I do not usually go down aisles with those products. Sitting on a dark shelf amid the bird seed and guinea pig supplies were many, perhaps a dozen, DEAD or DYING Betta fish in individual sealed containers. I spoke with four "associates." Two looked at me like I was crazy then ignored me, one said he was sorry, and one said he would get someone to "look into it." Perhaps I came across as surprised and excited, but I was! I guess it was too much to ask for them to actually do something. Surely there is a legal way to make Wal-Mart stop selling live fish!

In Athens, GA the Walmart is pretty good about taking care of their fish. With that being said, I encountered one dead betta today since I've been scoping out their fish for 2 mos. I complained to management and explained that I feel the need to rescue their bettas because of fear that fish aren't being cared for (I had recently bought three bettas). They immediately got rid of dead fish and now I wonder if that is what they do when one dies because of poor care. Management apologized but I told them that I'm an animal lover and finding a dead fish was unacceptable. I will keep my eye on this Walmart and if I find a dead fish will take pic, then complain. Everyone that is an animal lover please make sure to complain to management and complain with conviction, it is our responsibility to take care of animals on this earth, big and small.

THOSE FISH ARE DYING IN WALMART'S FISHTANK AREAS. Everytime I come over to the fish, I see a lot of them dead and sick. Their fish tanks are dirty and disgusting and the cleaning thingy in back is killing them, sucking them up into it and killing them. They are starving to death. I doubt any of the workers even feed them! They don't know anything about fish and don't frankly care. The managers are rude and openly yell at the workers being completely unapproachable and unfriendly. I even think they throw away a live fish in the trash! There are always fish in bowls outside the tank just dying and sitting in them, starving worse than the others. The fish are even eating the dead ones!

I completely HATE this about Walmart. I don't like animal abuse of any kind and it makes me sick to even THINK about shopping there and trying to NOT think about those poor fish in the fish tank area. It's like forcing yourself to turn your back on someone openly abusing a dog, it's completely unacceptable!! WALMART NEEDS TO BE BANNED OF SELLING LIVE FISH OR ANY LIVING ANIMALS.

So my husband and I have got fish from Walmart a few years ago. The first ones we bought died within mins of being home so we went back and got more those lived forever and still are alive. So we decided to go buy a few fish for my now 6yo and 2yo sons. So we get 2 African Cichlids and one Lace Catfish. Well within 24 hours not even 24 hours one died.

So we went back and got another one to make up for the one that died. Well we sat there at the tanks for well over 45 mins after someone was called to help. So I went and found someone well she didn't know anything about fish well. I tried to tell her they needed water above 74 degrees. Well she puts water out of the faucet in the bag (not filled to the water fill line) so soon as we get into the car within 5 mins of being in the bag he goes into shock and dies.

We originally wanted to get a beta but after looking at them they all was leaning sideways dying. Fish was on the filter dead like handfuls. WHY ARE THEY NOT IN BIGGER TANKS. And seeing as how it's 1 inch per gallon they have 15 oscars in one small tank that won't even sale because of them dying. All of their fish in deland fl walmart are never fed or anything. How is this even allowed?

I made an account on here just to leave this review. I recently bought my first betta fish from a local pet store. The tank prices were a little high so I decided to go to Walmart to find one. I walked past the live fish and my heart broke. There are dead fish and much too small tanks. The betta were pitiful. Most were half dead. I found two that looked like they had a chance so I bought them and took the home. The water was filthy and there was mold and dirt in the bottom of their bowls. I fed them after putting them in tanks at home and they ate the food like they'd never eaten before and immediately were more lively. Just makes me sad I couldn't save all of them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart?

I went to Walmart and wanted to buy a fish. Even though there was a bunch of dead fishes, I felt bad for them and wanted to take one home! I told 2 employees and I waited for a long time but nobody ever came. When I went to check out for the other stuff I went for, the cashier didn't even know they sold fishes and told me to go to PETCO.

Tanks are dirty, full of dead diseased fish. Treatment of poor fiddler crabs and snails is disgusting completely wrong conditions for these creatures to be in. When speaking to co-manager Theresa regarding these issues I was told person from outside company comes in once weekly to take care of tanks and one person is supposedly coming in daily to feed and clean. I was also told manager loves animals and often names fish and animals that come in. What a crock of nonsense

I've been in that store several days in a row and have seen filthy tanks, diseased, dying fish, poor crabs, snails and bettas in the same shape. Also informed other associates will not help take dead fish out of tanks as that is not their department or as one associate told me, they're just fish, who cares. Bottom line, she played the let's pass the blame game. No one cares about these animals at all. If these were dogs or cats, it would be quite a different response. Theresa was also rather curt, rude and full of excuses. I will go to Walmart corporate, the Better Business Bureau and the news until someone listens.

Given it is Walmart, they deal on a large scale, very little personal touch. Walmart would do well to entertain keeping the area clean. Educating their staff on pet products should be a focus. I have no complaint regarding prices or selection.

Great place to shop. Employees no help. Prices are going up as if you're at a pet store which is entirely too much. If it's good for your dog it's too expensive. If you can afford it then it makes your pet sick. I love Wal-Mart and a couple of pet stores but if the item is healthy and good for your pet they put the price high so it's out of reach, and the cheap stuff makes them sick. You get absolutely no assistance from employees, and why is it when you are lucky enough to get a coupon then you have to use it on the largest package or you must buy 2 to 3 of the same item which results in getting 1 or 2 dollars off $25 which is not a great savings?

No need repeating what others have already said about the conditions that the live (or not) fish at Walmart live in. I'm not even sure how this is legal. Why would fish not apply under animal abuse protection laws? Who draws the line as to where one oxygen breathing creatures lives matter vs others don't? I suggest, to those whom this concerns, simply write Walmart a legit email, explaining why you will no longer be shopping there. Sure some purchases may not be as convenient as a result but if you can't make that small, trivial sacrifice, then you may need to ask yourself does this really matter to you... and from this point forward, I too will follow this advice and will not longer be shopping there. Or if I do go in there, I vow to walk 1st to the fish section, I will personally remove and dispose of dead fish. If I feel they need food, I will open a jar and feed them. If bettas need water, I will add some.

Since I don't want to go thru all that but I would because I'm a man of my word, I will just choose Meijers or Costco in the future. These companies WILL listen if you start making statements with your dollars. I promise. Affect their bottom line, they will listen. They don't want 15 minimum wage (just as an example)? Stop shopping there until they finally do. You must make some sort of communication so they will know why their numbers are starting to decline. Plus if more people stop shopping at Walmart and the likes, and chose smaller shops, whose prices are usually much higher, eventually they will be able to lower their prices. If enough people stand their ground and stop supporting these immoral corporations then they will cease being immoral or cease to exist!

The personnel at Walmart usually do not know much about pet food, treats, and accessories unless they have the pets themselves. Has a great selection of pet foods and treats, toys and accessories, and prices are usually reasonable. I find that the pet dept at Walmart is actually fun for me. I find the usual food I feed along with lots of different kinds of treats and toys. They also have wormers, grooming accessories, collars, leashes, harness, etc., just about anything you could need at reasonable prices.

The betas are kept wrong and they are tucked back away from lights in the shelves, and are not allowed to be in certain parts of the shelves. And I do not know about this specifically, but they may not be getting food and be neglected from food. This is at almost every Walmart I have been to also, except for maybe one in Idaho. And the fish in the tanks are so often dying or ill because they are not taken care of well enough and it's the same issue with the betas, I do not even know if the fish are being fed. This makes me sick to see especially being an avid pet lover. With the bad handling of the live animals, I do not think certain Walmarts deserve to even carry live animals. It makes me sick to a point where I do not even want to shop here anymore. I dislike Walmart as it is but this makes me so worried for the fish in the department.

And overall the prices are not that great either in the store for the products. It sometimes is even more than other stores. And there oftentimes isn't someone who knows much about fish or pets in the department. But there are quite a few who do know about the fish and who are informative, but others don't. Overall, I do not even think that Walmart should be able to carry live animals seeing how they are treated. It is honestly sick, that should only be for the stores who actually care about their animals and do not let them just die off.

Knowledgeable and friendly staff. Customer service is always friendly and courteous. Love the long hours the store is open. Love shopping at Walmart pet store. Great selection of quality pet food and pet supplies all at great prices. Pet food is always fresh as they sell so much of it.

Their products are good. The price is usually good. But when you need help you can never find anyone, and when you do they usually can't help you. And they do have about everything you need. When you need help you can never find it and when you do, they don't know what you're talking about or they tell you it's not their dept. They will have to get somebody else.

I was walking through the store and ended up in the fish aisle. Now a lot of the fish are in decent enough tanks with filtration systems and decorations. But the Beta Fish are on a shelf in Tupperware. There were five on the shelf. Three were dead, one was missing a fin, and another... well, it was either dead or really close to it. I ended up taking the last one home because it looked like it might have a chance to live if treated DECENTLY. It was probably half dead on the shelf and is now happily swimming around in a decent tank with decent care. The water it was in was DISGUSTING. It was grey and there was so much gunk in it, it wreaked.

My little Beta clearly has a mild to severe case of fin rot. Which is what I'm guessing killed the other Betas in the store and caused one to lose a fin. He is doing much better now but it is clear that WALMART SHOULD NOT SELL THESE FISH. They have no interest in properly taking care of them. They cannot be put in a tank with others because they are territorial (unless there are dividers) but that doesn't mean they deserve sitting on a hot shelf in Tupperware. If Walmart isn't going to take care of them, Walmart shouldn't sell them. They have other kinds of fish, so leave the Betas to the pet stores to sell. OR ACTUALLY TAKE CARE OF THEM. I am so disgusted with Walmart right now.

Not every Walmart mistreats and or sells sick fish. I'm not saying they should continue to do so in the stores that have obvious neglect issues. But some/very few do actually order quality fish and feed and care for them properly. I'm pretty sure it's a matter of needing at least 2 employees year round that have the proper fish care knowledge. And I'm sure this is not a priority in the hiring process at Walmart. But there are a few good ones still out there. (Walmart at Golden Ring/Rosedale, MD.)

Walmart Supercenter Department Store, 1800 NE 12th Ave, Gainesville, FL 32641, Phone:(352) 372-3191. Date witnessed: 5/15/2016 4:30 pm. Highly diseased fish being sold out the door while having ick (white spots on the scales), fungus and housed with deceased fish that obviously had been taken over by the diseases from lack of care by the staff, even though there is a fungus treatment and ick treatment right beside the fish tanks not but 5 ft. away. Spotted sick tetras, heavily infected catfish so riddled with ick it was clear to eye from feet away, their whiskers turned into circles at the bottom.

The betta fish Walmart sells half are dead and the other half are having difficulty in breathing. So uncalled for. I have approached the manager of the store and the Walmart headquarters about this problem but not getting anywhere. They just apologize and go on and continue to sell these little betta fish so sad. Please I am asking for help on the matter.

I had both of my golden retrievers on this junk, and after the 1st one died of cancer, I changed to Purina One. Unfortunately, I was too late changing food, because my 2nd golden has cancer now. Within a year. If I could go back in time, I would have never fed them this crap.

I was completely appalled yesterday when I went shopping at my local Walmart. I was in the pet section to pick up some monthly flea treatment for my cat. Right next to the aisle I was browsing in were the fish tanks. My son decided to look at the fish while I picked out the treatment. He called me over with great concern and showed me at least a dozen fish were floating dead upside down in the tanks while their fellow fish swam nearby in their tiny containment. Needless to say, this was not something I wanted my son to be exposed to, let alone the horrifying implications it gives as to how frequently the animals are being tended to, what conditions their tanks are kept in, and how it is now a safety hazard to the poor remaining fish.

I got management involved right away. I am absolutely disgusted that this unfortunate event took place and strongly encourage Walmart to cease the sell of all live animals since the company clearly does not have the animals' well-being in mind or seen as a priority. Leave the poor animals out of your sales. This tragedy is one that could clearly have been avoided. Attached are some pics of some of the fish.

I was buying fish supplies and noticed a dead Betta in a very tiny container. I then looked in the fish tanks and every single tank had multiple dead fish. I called for management and an assistant manager (Geane) came and told me they did not have an employee currently over the fish department. I showed him the multiple dead fish in each tank. He was very apologetic and thankful for me showing him.

I went by the next day and they had cleaned out the dead fish. But, a few day later there were more dead fish. The fish are sick and not being cared for and are continuing to die. I counted 17 Betta fish in small under watered and terribly dirty water. I told them that this water needs to be changed daily. The fish are swimming in their toilet and the waste adds toxins to the water and leads to disease and death. One of the Betta had been laying dead in his container for days. I watched to see if it was moved and it Sat there for several days. It has some kind of lesions all over it. I rescued 3 that day and one died a few days later. He was tail biting and extremely stressed and there was no way to save him.

I have one that I purchased on December 17, 2015 from the Hixson, TN Wal-mart and I had watched him for 3 weeks before I could no longer take the abuse. I pointed it out to the department manager, a female, and she said she does not have time to take care of the fish. We counted 35 Betta containers and I feel horrible purchasing them because that means it will be replaced with another poor victim to sit and rot on a shelf.

The fish I rescued in December is still in a hospital tank. He had ammonia poisoning and swim bladder disease and developed columnaris from sitting in diseased water for too long. He is so damaged but for some reason is hanging on. I have spend a fortune on medications for this fish. I don't know why but I felt he survived my initial treatments and wants to live! So, he is still hanging on. I feel this is horrible treatment of fish and I wish that Wal-mart would discontinue their fish departments. They don't get the proper care and treatment they need.

I recently shopped at Ft. Wright, Ky Walmart. While passing their fish tanks, I stopped to look at what I assumed would be pretty and healthy fish. I was so wrong. I am sickened by what I saw. In one tank 12+ dead fish stuck to the filter, in another 20+ dead fish accumulating towards the front. Horrible sight for young kids to see. You hear parents telling their children to come look at the fish, to then block them from seeing the disgusting and neglected tanks. This is not ok. I almost want to buy every fish there to save them but sadly this seems to be the Walmart norm. This is animal cruelty. If you want to sell them, provide clean water, clean tanks, adequate space and food, and hire a knowledgeable associate. This is wrong and Walmart should be ashamed.

I purchased some Ol Roy basted dog biscuits yesterday for my 1 year old pit bulls. After giving them 2 of them to eat this morning, I noticed one of my dogs had hives all over her. Hopefully she starts feeling better. She is a white dog with pink skin and may be more sensitive than her sister who didn't get hives. I will not give them anymore Ol Roy products.

I went to the Walmart in Brewer, Maine to pick up a replacement filter for my fish tank. I walked by the live fish and stopped when I noticed that the betta's only had about a half an inch of water! I was astonished! Do the Walmart employees not know that fish need water to breathe? I saw a young man nearby stocking a shelf so I asked him if he would come look at the Betta's. I pointed out that there was only 1/2 inch of water and it was absolutely not okay with me and in fact, was animal cruelty. The young man agreed and said he would go get the "guy that takes care of the fish" to come put more water in the cups.

I was down the next aisle when I hear someone saying "You can't put a lot of water in the cups cause it will shock the fish." So I march back over to the live fish. I say, "So you not see that they need more water? You know that this is animal cruelty? They may just be fish but they have a right to be able to breathe!" I spoke with a manager that agreed with me and said she would take care of it. I thought it was common sense that fish need water to breathe and live. WALMART STOP SELLING FISH IF YOU CAN NOT TAKE CARE OF THEM CORRECTLY! I will be checking on the fish department on EVERY shopping trip to Walmart and I WILL make light of ANY animal cruelty that I see!

Every Walmart I've ever been to with a fish section has them living in horrific conditions. It turns my stomach seeing all the abuse. Last time I tried to rescue fish from there, the associate who cared for the fish was "off" for 2 days. I had to pull some lady from the holiday section to help me. There were dead fish in every tank, some more dead than living ones. They know nothing on how to care for fish and it's pretty sad.

I'm a 23 year old female and know 100x more about the fish they carry than any associate I've ever met. It's atrocious that an enormous company such as Walmart is allowed to sell animals they know nothing about. The Green Spotted Puffer Fish are by far the worst fish to sell. These beauties are only WILD CAUGHT, and are mostly loaded with parasites. The experience level to care for the Puffers are for advanced aquarists only. The average Walmart shopper has no idea what their care entails. Unless the owner is able to check salinity, deworm them, and have the means to anesthetize them for teeth clipping, they should not be sold!

I bought 3 from the store and I was unable to keep them alive longer than a month. I did further research. Juveniles need fresh water and the older they get they need saltier water. There is no indication that they have that requirement at the store. They also feed them goldfish flakes, which puffers do NOT eat. They either need freeze-dried invertebrates or live food. These poor creatures are stolen from their homes and given a death sentence. It makes me happy that I saw someone has a rescue for these wonderful fish. Walmart is causing possible extinction for this species, and it makes me sick!

Wal-Mart is false advertising Dynamic Pet, Hickory Smoked, Real Ham Bones for Dogs as "Safe" pet treat. Wal-mart has knowledge that this product is killing, injuring pets, and sickening pets. Wal-mart is negligent in keeping this product on the shelf's without proper warning to consumers that their pet could be harmed. I know this to be true since I lost a pet from this product. Another was sicken, and the third needed surgery to remove the "shards" from her belly.

I bought 2 pleco suckerfish from Walmart. After not more than 1 week they both died and transmitted ich disease to the other fish. Walmart also had 2 tanks of dozens of dead fish. DO NOT BUY FISH FROM WALMART!!!

Something seriously needs to be done about the way they keep their fish. They shouldn't be allowed to see them at all. Tanks full of dead fish, the fish that were alive eating the dead ones. This is absolutely ridiculous and beyond cruel.

I went to the Walmart on Hwy. 14 in Lake Charles. I was horrified at the condition the fish were living in! They had so many dead in the tanks. The other fish were eating them! One particular fish was feasting on the eyeball of another fish! The tanks were dirty, filthy, and the fish were obviously not being fed! I bought 2 goldfish yesterday & I looked in the bowl today to find one dead. I think Walmart should stop selling fish because no one is taking care of them!

The conditions in which Wal-Mart keeps all their fish is horrifying. I have seen dead or half dead fish in tiny cups. This is cruel abuse toward animals. I have read many complaints, all which focus on this company's inability to store their fish in a proper sized home. Fish should not be put into tiny cups and left there for hours without care. These fish are unable to even move. This is disgusting and needs to be fixed. Stop the cruel abuse towards them, they deserve better treatment! If you can't give them the respect they deserve, then STOP SELLING THEM.

Wal-Mart Pet Department Company Profile