Wal-Mart Pet Department
3.43/5

Looking for a pet store?

Wal-Mart Pet Department

389 Wal-Mart Pet Department Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

They offer a lot of items for different pets but need to offer more for some pets. Some easy common things & hard to find. People buy different items that you don't see very often. Customer service is so so if someone is around or if someone shows up. A lot of times I look on Google if it helps. For Petco & PetSmart good customer service, a lot of different choices but a lot of times prices are too high.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have been to several Wal-Marts where the lack of fish/Betta care is unacceptable but my worse experience is from the McDonough GA location @ 135 Willow Lane. They do not have a dedicated fish dept. in their pet section just Bettas lined up on the shelves. My assumption is they get treated like cans of food, stocked and forgotten about until bought or the next shipment comes in or they eventually die. This is a form of animal cruelty. I have complained several times to management and even contacted corporate but nothing has changed. The Betta's water is discolored, ranging from light yellow to brown with fungus or floating objects in the cups.

Please stop selling Betta fish at this location as it appears no one cares and no one is trained on the basics on proper fish care and no fish should have to live in such conditions. Please see the pics of the situation at this location and this one wasn't even the worse out of the bunch. For a small container to have that much discoloration and waste in it means that it sat there for a very long time without water changes. This fish was extremely skinny and it appears it was not being fed. I adopted him but still had to pay for a sick/dying fish.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I shop at Walmart because prices are lower than pet store chains. I have 20+ cats and 4 dogs, so we go through a lot of food so price is the biggest factor.

Original review: May 8, 2018

You can't bring your pet in unless its properly badged. Your animal can't go in and they only sell fish and pet supplies for cats, dogs, fish and so rodents and reptiles. No variety of pets for sale. Not my idea of a real pet store!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Walmart always has great prices, but they don't always have the same products. I'm going to try chewy.com for my next order, perhaps they will have the brands I like and good prices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walmart?

Original review: May 6, 2018

I usually shop at Walmart for my cat supplies. However, the selections are few. That does not affect what my cat likes. The main problem is being out of the product I am looking for and no associate available to request help.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I understand that people want to save money, but the majority of products there are cheap quality. I do not buy pet food there. I only purchase treats, toys, or accessories. I wanted to purchase treats for my cat, however they did not have any treats that were soft. My cat cannot have any dry food or treats, as per vet. So I did not make a purchase from the pet department today.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I would not really call this a Pet Store. It is a pet section in the store. They do have several products that I like. The pet beds are nice and reasonably priced. I also buy a spray that is helpful after our dog goes outside. It smells nice but not too strong. It is close to us and very convenient.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I really like the pet department at Walmart because I can shop 24/7 and many times it is late night or early morning. Regardless of the time, they offer a great selection and excellent prices. They also have good security and have provided someone to watch over me when I had to walk to my car during the wee hours.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I like to shop here for pet products for my cat and my daughter's bird. I always find what I need at a great price. I love to pick them out toys and treats.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Their products are very good and I usually buy my pet stuff from Walmart. I really love the way they stock the things that you need for your pets. They have for each pet you have. You can talk to somebody anytime of the day or night and get the best advice for your pet. They will take and show you the things that you need for your pet that is best for your pet.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I shop at Walmart's Pet Section because I have a very choicely Puppy and she will only eat a certain type of Food and Treat. I shop all her pet care needs as well, prices are great. Shopped other pet stores and Walmart is the best. Will only shop there for Her.

Original review: April 28, 2018

The Walmart store has signs so customer can find items easy. The pet items are in order and priced. And at good value for money. Inexpensive. A variety to choose from. I visit The Walmart on 190 Street Normandie Los Angeles.

Original review: April 27, 2018

This store is always helpful and they almost always have what I need for my dogs. The only complaint that I have I always have to go to another store or order my dogs flea and tick medicine.

Original review: April 26, 2018

It's almost impossible to get a customer service rep at Walmart. And, they know nothing about animals and products they carry. Only help I got was directions to pet supply area. Then you're on your own.

Original review: April 25, 2018

They should expand their cat food selection. There aren't hardly any healthy varieties whose 1st ingredient is meat. Most all list corn as the main ingredient. Cats are carnivorous, meat eaters! I see numerous varieties of natural, meat, dog food. Beef, chicken, salmon, turkey, venison, etc...; ie: Walmart carries Rachael Ray brands of dog food, but none for cats.

Original review: April 24, 2018

In the past 4 weeks, I have witnessed at least TEN Bettas die from both ammonia poisoning and ich. Some of them I don't have pics of (3). There would have been more at this store if I had not have been changing their nasty water and taking and curing 4 of them... And helping 4 other ones and adopting them out. That's 18 total plus other Wal-Mart locations in the Valley makes me pretty upset???? Here are photos of 8 of them. Someone needs to put a sign up to stop overfeeding them, have more than one person who changes their water, or even better STOP ORDERING MORE. PERIOD. Problem Solved.

In the past 4 weeks, I have witnessed at least TEN bettas die from both ammonia poisoning and ich. Some of them I don't have pics of(3) There would have been more at this store if I had not have been changing their nasty water and taking and curing 4 of them... And helping 4 other ones and adopting them out. That's 18 total plus other Wal-Mart locations in the Valley makes me pretty upset ????

Here are photos of 8 of them.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I have been to Walmart 4 times in the past 2 1/2 weeks, and have bought a total of four fish. 3 of them were common goldfish, and the last one was a Calico fish. All but one of my fish have died. My calico fish died about 13 hours after I purchased it and it lost all of its color, and then they sold me a fish that was already half dead, and it died within the first 2 days I had it, and then the other one died within 3 hours after purchasing them. They have no professional experience to be taking care of those fish properly.

I explained to them that I had not owned a fish since I was little and needed some help with what would be the best type of tank to use and proper guidelines on how to care for the fish. The guy had to look it up on his phone, and all 4 times that I have been there no one has been any help and none of them knew what they were doing. I will never be purchasing another fish from there, and while I was looking at the fish there were countless fish dead in the tanks just sitting there.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Walmart is the place that I feel very very special. I love to go there and they know me by name. They are always there to help me and answer my questions. Also, I have kids and I love to hear about the new things happening.

Original review: March 29, 2018

They don't carry the higher quality foods. Also, customer service is awful. But it's great for ability to pick up pet food while doing other shopping and with the new pick up options it's very convenient.

Original review: March 28, 2018

More of a selection of dog foods would be nice. More grain free dog foods would be better choices for an average family. More large sized boxes of treats would be helpful as well.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I love looking through the pet supplies. They have a large variety and I can usually find what I need. The price is usually good compared to other places. But they could use more help to assist their customers in need of help.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The staff is very helpful if I have questions. They carry the regular brands and the special brands, and the selection is great. It is nice having a store within driving distance to fulfill my pets needs.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I shop at Walmart for my pet needs because they carry all the products that I buy and use, at the lowest prices. I've checked Petco and PetSmart, and Walmart just beats their prices on everything I buy.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Walmart stores are usually in disarray and nothing is ever in the same place twice! As far as the quality or price, I feel like you can get more for your money at Walmart for the same quality as the more expensive stores.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My local is ok but not consistent on what they carry. My animals like something then they don't restock. Then two months later they restock it again and it's so frustrating. I get so upset.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I shopped in all different stores. The best value for your money is Walmart. Their cat food doesn't sit on the shelf long so I know it is fresh. My cat is happy with her food.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Walmart has a good selection of various pet foods, toys, treats, to choose from for your pet. They also carry a variety of things such as cat litter and leashes, bowls, etc. Their prices are very competitive and in most cases, a lot cheaper than their competition.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Although each Walmart has a different variety of items, the prices are less expensive than other stores. Usually the litter is priced good. The Walmart neighborhood store is great, however sometimes when litter is on sale, it is completely gone. Also the price display is frequently missing or items are placed far from the price amount.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I'm at Wal-Mart 3 times a week, usually I can find whatever I need, cat food, sometimes they're out of my special flavor, then I go to another Wal-Mart to see they are out also, understanding, Wal-Mart warehouse, is out, that doesn't feed my 3 picky fur babies. Still my favorite store. Always have a good experience at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart Pet Department Company Information