2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

3.9/5 (387 ratings)

About Nationwide Pet Insurance

Nationwide Pet Insurance, previously known as Veterinary Pet Insurance, or VPI, provides coverage for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Exotic animal plans cover birds, reptiles, amphibians, rodents and goats. Pet owners can choose from four insurance plans, including basic coverage and full wellness coverage. Costs are reasonable, and the company offers discounts. Customers can get free quotes online for dog and cat insurance but need to call Nationwide for exotic pet insurance quotes.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Multipet discounts
    • No maximum age limit
    • Covers exotic pets
    • Wellness coverage

Cons

• No online quotes for exotic pets
    • Limited plans for older pets

Bottom Line

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers dogs, cats and exotic animals, offering basic plans and comprehensive wellness coverage. Nationwide offers coverage to pets of any age, though plans are limited for older animals.

Top Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I adopted a kitten in June of 2017 and purchased the Whole Pet with Wellness plan for him. ... It turned out my cat was cryptorchid and had to undergo surgery. ... I spent almost ...

Verified

I have had Nationwide Pet Insurance for my two beagles for 8+ years. Nationwide reimbursed the majority of expenses associated with my Charlie’s splenectomy, cancer and associated...

How does Nationwide Pet Insurance work?

Nationwide acquired VPI Pet Insurance, also called VPI, in 2014. For pet owners whose pets need medical care, Nationwide Pet Insurance can help save thousands of dollars through reimbursement of veterinarian bills.

Request a quote online through Nationwide’s secure site or by phone. To get started, provide your ZIP code and your pet’s name, age and breed. Nationwide Pet Insurance then provides a quote for review. There is a 14-day waiting period for coverage after making your first payment.

Nationwide Pet Insurance plans

Nationwide Pet Insurance offers four major plans for cats and dogs: Major Medical, Major Medical with Wellness, Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness. Each plan includes nose-to-tail coverage, though conditions vary based on the plan type selected. All of these plans have a fixed deductible of $250.

Major Medical
    The most economical of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans, Major Medical covers basic accidents and illnesses and allows pet owners to use any veterinarian or hospital they like. The annual deductible for this plan is fixed at $250, and annual benefits are predefined depending on the condition. The Major Medical plan is not always available to older pets.
    Major Medical with Wellness
    A step up from the Major Medical plan, Nationwide’s Major Medical with Wellness plan also includes wellness exams, vaccinations, bloodwork and illness prevention. As with the Major Medical plan, the annual deductible is $250, and annual benefit limits depend on the condition. This plan is not always available to older pets.
    Whole Pet
    An option for older pets, Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan includes all the benefits of the Major Medical plan but adds some dental, behavioral, prescription and holistic treatment coverage. The annual deductible is fixed at $250 with $10,000 total annual benefits.
    Whole Pet with Wellness
    Nationwide’s most comprehensive and most customizable policy, Whole Pet with Wellness has a wide range of coverage. While the annual deductible is set at $250 and annual benefits are unlimited, pet owners have the option to adjust their reimbursement level from 90% to 70% or 50%. A lower reimbursement percentage lowers the cost of this plan.

Note that the above plans may not be available for exotic pets. Nationwide requires owners of birds, reptiles, rodents and other exotic pets to call a Nationwide Pet Insurance customer service representative to receive information about plans, coverage and costs.

Nationwide Pet Insurance coverage

Nationwide Pet Insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also include preventive medicine, dental care, spaying, neutering and behavioral treatments. Nationwide’s most comprehensive plan, Whole Pet with Wellness, is the most expensive, but it also provides maximum benefits for pets of all types.

Compare coverage of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans:

Major MedicalMM + WellnessWhole PetWP + Wellness
    Major Medical
    MM + Wellness
    Whole Pet
    MP + Wellness

While each Nationwide Pet Insurance policy type has its advantages, many pet owners opt for the Major Medical with Wellness or Whole Pet with Wellness plan so their pets are fully covered.

Currently, Nationwide Pet Insurance does not cover:

• Preexisting conditions
    • Grooming, including nail trims and shampoos
    • Expenses not directly related to the veterinary bill, like credit card fees
    • Certain plan restrictions based on specific policy type

Nationwide Pet Insurance defines preexisting conditions as injuries or illnesses that occurred before coverage started. This exclusion includes some hereditary conditions.

At Nationwide Pet Insurance, dogs and cats won’t be dropped from coverage based on their age or the number of claims filed.

How much does Nationwide Pet Insurance cost?

Nationwide Pet Insurance quotes vary depending on the plan you choose, but Nationwide dog insurance costs between $35 and $60 per month for most breeds, while cat insurance costs between $13 and $46. For dogs and cats, customers get a free quote online, but if you’re looking into Nationwide’s exotic pet insurance, you need to call for a quote.

Nationwide Pet Insurance's prices vary based on the breed and age of your pet. If you’re looking for a low-cost plan, consider choosing one with a variable reimbursement percentage. Unlike most pet insurance providers, Nationwide Pet Insurance offers reimbursement percentages as low as 50%, which lets customers pay more out of pocket for a vet bill but less in their monthly premiums.

Discounts are available to policyholders who enroll two or more pets or those who are already members of Nationwide.

Nationwide Pet Insurance FAQ

Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover spaying?
    Yes, the Whole Pet with Wellness plans offers coverage for spaying or neutering. The Whole Pet, Major Medical and the Major Medical with Wellness plans do not cover this service for any pet.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover emergency visits?
    Depending on the condition that needs treatment, some Nationwide Pet Insurance plans do cover emergency visits, which includes accidents and illnesses. Call a Nationwide customer service representative for more information.
    Does Nationwide Pet Insurance cover dental cleanings?
    The Whole Pet and Whole Pet with Wellness plans cover dental cleanings, but not all of Nationwide’s pet insurance plans do.
    Where can I find a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim form?
    To file a Nationwide Pet Insurance claim, policyholders visit the website or the VitusVet app. On the website, policyholders can download and complete the form and then return it and any paid invoices via email, fax or mail.

Is Nationwide Pet Insurance good?

Nationwide offers affordable pet insurance for dogs, cats and exotic animals. Although coverage is available for older animals, plans may be limited and premiums may be high. If you already have a policy with Nationwide or are looking to insure multiple pets, expect to receive discounts.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Pet Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

My 5 year old Rottweiler was diagnosed with IBD in 2017. The monthly policy payment went from $131.17/month to $218.15/month for 2022 - an yearly increase of 166%. Can you imagine what that monthly cost will be by the time that the dog is 10 yoa. I am through recommending Nationwide to friends/acquaintances with pets.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I have paid them for over a year but when I finally had an emergency for my dog they invented past medical history that none of my Vets reported in order to deny my $5,000 claim. My dog had a stomach emergency, and they decided since he had diarrhea as a puppy 18 months prior that they were related. My Vet called them to explain the dog's history, but they made up another reason to deny the claim. Now I am out the insurance cost and the medical bills.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I signed up my new puppy for pet wellness plus Rider + Major Medical plan. Sales person assured me this was their top insurance. And they pay for vaccines and visits. My vet charges $90 they pay only 2 times a year each visit $30. This is a joke considering your time wasted on claim process. Not only it takes hours and few trials and fails to submit a claim. And months for them to respond back, that almost nothing is covered. It might be good for accidental injuries or major illness. For for a healthy puppy they pay next to nothing. Will definitely cancel after I find a better insurance. Nationwide should change their monologue. They are not on your side.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

We have Nationwide Pet Insurance for over 10 years and we would not be without it. They are very accommodating, CS is great. At no time have we had any problems submitting in a claim and receiving reimbursement. For example our one dog, has had numerous surgeries and these claims were paid at the 90%; however, you the pet owner determine what percentage you want when enrolling in their program.

Recently we lost our dog who was 11 yrs and 2 months and covered his euthanization when the time came. We still have one other dog on this policy and would not entertain cancelling. We have the Whole Pet Major Medical/Wellness Plan. There was a mention it was difficult to submit in claims, at NO time did we have a problem, you log into your account, start a claim and upload the invoice and it is done. Again, we rate Nationwide Pet Insurance a 10 in our book.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

Nationwide provides no service, endless requests for “medical records” and no claims processing within 60-90 days. I work for a 75000 employee large company, and will be recommending that Nationwide pet insurance be dropped as an option. Filing a claim is ridiculously time consuming (for my admin and myself who are all pro in terms of uploading information) and is pointless, since they don’t respond or provide coverage as per their policy. If you are looking for pet insurance, please avoid Nationwide, they are definitely not on your side or that of your animal.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

They will make everything possible to avoid paying you. My dog is 2 yrs old and they keep asking for "Soap" notes even there are no more notes nor history. I just cancelled this service. Waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

This insurance company for pets is just a money making business. For my puppy not even one year old they reject every claim as pre existing condition. Just now I called them and canceled. Don’t fall for it and don’t waste your money and time. Just spend nicely for your pets without these unnecessary tensions.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

A complete scam. They find every reason not to cover your claims. Legalese and fine print to ensure you cannot get the coverage you were promised and pay for every month. They are a total scam and never reimburse.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I spend $87/mo on a comprehensive wellness plan that rejects more than what it covers. My dog had diarrhea once before I started my plan which the vet ended up not figuring out what caused it & diagnosed it “gastroenteritis” as an umbrella diagnosis. I later learned after switching my dog’s food she was allergic to chicken and then 5 months go by with no diarrhea or issues. When I brought my dog to my parents (9 hr trip), she wasn’t really eating her food while we are there. She wasn’t having diarrhea then, but I was concerned about her not eating so I brought her to the vet. The vet did several tests - blood work to check kidneys, xray to make sure there wasn’t a foreign body, etc. The vet admitted to not knowing why she wasn’t eating because the test results were inconclusive and I believe did the umbrella diagnosis as gastroenteritis.

When I got my dog back home to my place, she resumed eating and was totally normal. I called my usual vet and she said dogs often won’t eat when traveling and that’s totally normal. I get my $400 claim letter in the mail I filed from that visit and find out it was denied because gastroenteritis is a “pre-existing” condition. I was then told that even 4 years from now if my dog had diarrhea it wouldn’t be covered by insurance because of that condition.

Seriously? How many times do humans get diarrhea because they just ate something that upset their stomach? That doesn’t mean it’s a preexisting condition. My dog doesn’t have diarrhea frequently & didn’t for 5 months in between vet visits, so how is this a pre-existing condition? Save yourself the headache and just put aside money into savings each month to cover costs of vet bills or find another pet insurance that won’t find every reason not to pay claims. I’m canceling with Nationwide - complete waste of $87/mo.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I purchased a policy for my 2 year old dog last year. I went with the higher option which cost me about 68.00 a month. I just received my renewal for this year - no claims - no changes - and it went up on 30.00 a month. I called customer service and their explanation was because of market changes. I said, "You're charging me more because others filed claims?" They get you in the door with a promised price then bait and switch. Needless to say, I cancelled my plan. Typical insurance - such a scam!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Nationwide Pet Insurance Company Information