Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.30/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Ultra Holistic Dog Food Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2009

I recently changed my dogs' dog food from Royal Canin to Nutro Ultra dog food for seniors. I gradually added the new food to her old food to get her used to it. She appeared to be doing fine. After being on the Nutro for 5 days, she started to have watery stools and was not her usual perky self, even though she is 13 years old. On the 7th day, she started to have blood in her stools. I immediately took her off the food and started giving her only rice and scrambled eggs. It appears that she is doing better now. Her stools still have blood in them, but they are now starting to have a little form to them.

My vet recommended that I continue to not give her any food for the next couple of days and then gradually start her back on regular dog food again. This time I will make her dog food and not ever purchase dog food from a company again. There should be a law against dog food manufacturer poisoning our pets. Hopefully, my dog will recover from this poison since I removed it from her diet. I just hope it does not leave any permanent damage.

Original review: June 16, 2009

I have been feeding my 2-year old pit-bull mix Nutro dog food for about 1.5 years. Recently, I switched to the new Ultra brand. About 2 weeks ago, she started having severe diarrhea. I took her to a vet who tested her for a bacterial infection and gave her x-rays. He determined there was no bacterial infection and no bowl obstruction. He determined she must have "ate something she shouldn't have" and sent her home with some antibiotics and a shot of anti-diarrhea medicine.

Her condition improved for a week or so and then she developed diarrhea again. This bout lasted for four days. Over the four days, we did a process of elimination on what we fed her until we were down to only the Nutro food. I then went to the internet and read some of the recent consumer complaints against Nutro. I took her off the food immediately and fed her ground sirloin and veggies for dinner. The very next day, her condition improved and the diarrhea stopped suddenly. I will never again feed my dog Nutro or any product made by its manufacturers! I had a friend who was also using the brand and I called him immediately to tell him about the complaints! I had to throw away a brand new $34 bag of food. Also, my trip to the vet cost me $265.

Original review: June 16, 2009

I have been feeding my 2-year old dog Nutro Ultra since her adoption in 9/08. She would have occasional GI upsets with yellow bile vomit. I thought this was just normal upset until 2 1/2 weeks ago when she started having extreme diarrhea and fecal vomiting. I took her to the Pet ER; after a series of tests, fluids and medications she was sent home on Flagyl and a bland diet. She recovered after a few days and I started her back on her Nutro Ultra. A week later, she started having diarrhea again so I put her on rice and chicken for a few days and everything was resolved. Last night, she started having diarrhea and fecal vomiting again. I did not feed her yesterday and this morning I gave her rice and chicken. She seems to feel better but is still lethargic. She did have an appetite though. I decided to google Nutro to see if there was a recall as I was at my wit’s end what could be causing this. I was very alarmed to read all the letters from pet owners. I will not be using Nutro any longer. I just hope that my little baby will be alright.

Original review: May 27, 2009

Two healthy American Bulldogs. They have become very lethargic, increased bowel movements and throwing up yellow bile. The food was lighter in color than normal. Dogs are choosing not to eat the food. I know that there have been recalls on the regular Nutro, but I feel that the Nutro Ultra needs to be investigated.

Original review: April 25, 2009

I lost my 13 year old poodle last week with bloody stools and another one of my small young dogs was sick with the same thing. She was in the hospital for 2 days on medication and IV's and got well. The poodle was put to sleep. Today my 15 year old poodle came down with the same symptoms. All my house dogs eat the Ultra Adult Dog Food. My outside dogs eat another brand and are fine. Vet bill on Chihuahua was $472.00. The poodle was $55.00 to put to sleep. If I lose my older female, I am really going to be upset as she has been very healthy until now and I thought I was feeding a very high quality dog food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ultra Holistic Dog Food?

Original review: April 22, 2009

Wow! We have used Nutro for several years with no problems. Then last month, we adopted a new buddy. We went to the pet store and bought a large bag of Nutro and slowly started to introduce him to this new food. We noticed that our female (who had eaten Nutro her entire life) refused to eat the new food. We chalked it up to the excitement of a new family member. We also noted that our newest family member was vomiting a lot and it was really foamy. Gradually, both were eating the new food but drinking a lot of water. Both started to vomit foamy stuff. Our vet could find no reason for the condition. So $100 later, we went home and switched foods. Both seem to be doing fine now. This experience has been pretty traumatic. Our dogs are really important to us! Although the cost has been minimal ($154 for vet, $25 for inedible Nutro food), the emotional impact of the fear of losing our pets was incalculable.

Original review: April 22, 2009

I had been feeding Nutro Ultra for 3 years. Last fall, I bought the 20# (est.) size bag and 1 of my 3 westies would not eat it. One that did eat ended up with loose bowels. After I mixed the food with Ultra Adult, the one not eating would eat but leave some of the Weight Management kibble in the bowl. I finished the bag and was in a pitch and bought a 5# bag of the Nutro Ultra Weight Management everyone ate and seemed to be fine. Then I bought the 20# size Nutro Ultra Weight Management again and had the bowel and refusal problems again. I have now switched and all 3 are eating and feeling fine. Nutro lost my business.

Original review: April 22, 2009

Our dog was a healthy, vibrant, and strong dog. She became pregnant and had 12 beautiful puppies. We started to give her Nutro Ultra Puppy Food since it had so many nutrients. However, within a day of eating the puppy food, she became ill and could not hold her bowels. She started to have several accidents. She lost a lot of weight and her hair actually started to fall out, even though she is a short-haired dog you can definitely see the difference. She is only 3 years old and she looks like she is 70 years. Her bones are protruding whereas our other dog that eats a different brand of dog food looks extremely healthy with a very shinny coat.

We took our dog to the vet and they gave her antibiotics and vitamins. We were also giving her puppies the Nutro and have noticed that they now have started to have the runs. We have decided to stop giving our dogs this food, and hopefully, someone will complain enough to have this brand removed from the shelves, because at the end of the day, the animals that we love are suffering. This food is supposed to be really good for our animals, and it is actually harming them and our pockets.

Original review: April 22, 2009

I have 3 indoor dogs, 2 Cocker Spaniels, and one Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I also have a cat. My oldest Cocker, I have had for 9 years. He can eat anything, and he will usually eat any kind of dog food. He is not picky. He was always on Pedigree, and sometimes dry cat food when he would get into that but was never sick. Since I saved the other two dogs from the pound, I have usually fed all three, Kibbles and Bits or Pedigree.

A family member who works at Petco who told me to try Nutro Ultra, since it was so well-balanced and I would see a great improvement in my dogs' coats and energy. Instead, all I have seen is vomiting all over my living room, bedroom, and anywhere else they can. I feel so sorry for them. They are like my children. They have been peeing constantly and eating grass, as much as they can. I was near the end of the bag and watched CNN News and then found all the complaints. It is not a coincidence. My dogs have been healthy always! They were never sick and have always switched between different foods and actually, like eating different varieties. So when I purchased this, I was surprised that they didn't want to eat it. It took them a month to eat a bag that would normally be gone in three weeks.

I never thought the great dog food that everyone says is so good for your dog would hurt my three little babies. They should be ashamed of themselves for selling that to unsuspecting consumers who are trying to give their pets the proper nutrients. Today, I saved the rest of the Nutro, and I am calling the Ohio FDA line tomorrow to complain. Everyone should be calling to complain before some of their pets end up like the ones I read on this website. Thank God, I was watching TV or I would have gone out and bought another bag today of Nutro. Instead they got Pedigree and they ate like they had been starved.

Shame on Nutro, and Petco should forget about their friendship with the Nutro people and start worrying about their customers and direct them to another brand of dog food until it can be figured out. No pet food brand can be that great that you would let your customers buy something that would hurt their pets!

Original review: March 23, 2009

After feeding my two English Toy Spaniels Nutro Ultra for several years, one became sick with throwing up and diarrhea and the other refused to eat. One began having accidents in the house, which was highly unusual. She was uncomfortable, not able to settle down and only wanted to go outside to eat grass for the eventual outcome of throwing up. Suspicious about their food since it had been recalled before, I began making their food and their appetite increased. But a blood test proved that they have elevated liver enzymes and are now on an antibiotic and milk thistle, which I'm told can regenerate the liver. I'm not shocked. I'm furious that money is the priority of Nutro. Instead of doing what's right, they are doing nothing as a recall would of course cost them money. Instead, the consumer pays the cost of a sick or dead loved one and vet costs.

Ultra Holistic Dog Food Company Information