3.30/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Ultra Holistic Dog Food

Looking for a good dog food brand?

35 Ultra Holistic Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2010

I previously wrote with about my horrible experience about my Healthy Vaccinated 4 yr. old chichuachua that became seriously ill, I alledgedly believe from Nutro brand Holistic Superfood for puppies Date best by 09/01/10 UPC#7910551314 by first started by stop eating and only drank a little water. Then became lethargic by mid afternoon, I called vet they were closed it was new years eve. So I started her on dropper fulls of pedialyte (every hour) forcing it slowly into her mouth to keep her hydrated(the most important thing to do asap when a dog stops eating, dont wait!!!) Next day had bloody stools and still not eating, kept up the pedialyte This will flush their system of poisons and help keep them from shutting down until you can get to the vet. Also use pancake syrup on their gums to stimulate their blood levels and will help them to start eating again. Third day she ate little boiled chicken and started feeling a little better but I never stopped the pedialyte. Fourth day she was much better and now fine.Please if your dog is having symptoms like these Give the Childrens pedialyte every hr. Even through the night! I am in the process of getting an indepentant lab results performed on the food to determine my strong suspicions, so that I may help save other pets. I will be writing after I have concluded what caused my dog her severe illness.

Original review: June 23, 2011

We just put our dog down. We had been feeding her Ultra Senior dog food for the past year because she had an allergy to wheat and Ultra was gluten free. Before she got sick, she drank continuously, had accidents in the house and at the end, was passing nothing but blood in her stools. I'm now wondering if the dog food we thought was supposed to help her was making her sick and led to her demise.

Original review: May 18, 2011

We switched our healthy, vibrant four-year-old miniature schnauzer to Nutro Ultra Holistic Superfood in Nov/Dec 2010 from Eukaneba, which she had been on since she was a puppy. In January 2011, our dog became severely ill--vomiting bile and massive diarrhea. We brought her to the vet and they ran several tests (pancreatitis, addison's disease, parasites, etc.) and did X-rays. Everything came back normal. We fed her ground turkey and rice for about a week and she seemed to be doing better so we reintroduced the Nutro Ultra. Over the next few months, we noticed several changes in her. She vomited bile occasionally, had loose stools, extreme thirst, trouble urinating, glassy eyes, lethargic, dry skin, dull coat and bad breath. On May 15th, she vomited blood. We called her vet on Monday morning and they put her on two medications--one to coat her stomach and antacid. On Tuesday afternoon she vomited bright red blood. We took her to the vet again and they gave her fluids under the skin and antibiotics.

I believe that Nutro Ultra is to blame. Our perfectly healthy dog became severely sick after we switched her food.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2010

My 4 year old dachshund/chihuahua mix became ill last month. She started vomiting one morning and it continued throughout the day. It was a Sunday so of course all we could do was call an emergency clinic since our vet was closed. She became increasingly sick, lethargic and in the wee hours of Monday morning was barely able to walk. One trip to the emergency clinic and she was given fluids and we were instructed to take her ASAP to our vet. Because of her condition, blood work was done which suggested a bout of pancreatitis.

It took about 2 weeks to get her well with repeated trips for fluids, antibiotics, special food, etc. $500 later she was getting better, but even weeks later she was still vomiting on occasion. I suspected the food and called Nutro and they said there were no recalls, but it was possible the bags might have been left on the truck in the hot sun too long. Are you kidding me? She had to eat prescription food for weeks and eventually I switched her to Wellness dog food. I am praying this does not happen again. I am convinced that it was the Nutro. I will never buy one of their products again.

Original review: March 12, 2010

I changed all of my dogs over to Nutro Ultra dry dog food, and all of them got sick. One of which died after her kidneys shut down. I still have a 4-month-old puppy that is still on antibiotic for a urinary tract infection. The other dogs were vomiting yellow bio. This company, after reading all these complaints about this food, needs to be investigated. I have one dog dead and many others sick. Someone please help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ultra Holistic Dog Food?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2010

I had been feeding my Rottie and Lab Nutro Large Breed dog food for several years. In November, 2009, I started feeding them Nutro Ultra Large Breed Adult food thinking it would be better for them being holistic. I noticed my lab would vomit bile quite often. He had his annual vet visit on Feb. 16, 2010. That morning he had vomited again. His liver enzymes were slightly elevated as were my Rotti's on her last visit. I opened a new bag of food on Sat. Feb. 20th and fed them. Later that day, I found 3 large piles of vomited food. My Rotti walked away from her food when I fed her that evening. I gave it to her about an hour later and she finally ate it. The next day my lab refused to eat. I was finding yellow bile each day on the floor.

It wasn't until today Feb. 23rd that I realized it must be the food making them both sick. I googled Nutro and found so many stories like mine. I called my vet, e-mailed nutro, brought the rest of the bag of food and the Ultra canned food back to Petco hoping that it could be tested and that batch be taken off of the shelves. It can't be removed until approved by the corporate office. Until then many more dogs may get sick. I saved a few cups of food hoping I can find a place where it can be tested. The Best By date and batch # of the bag that made both of them sick is 01-16-11 27 1 002 G1 LEB 02 15 02. My Rotti won't eat anything today and is very lethargic.

If my Rotti doesn't start eating, I have to bring her to the vet and hope that something will help her. She has always been healthy before this. My lab seems to be okay today. I will not buy Nutro again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2010

I just recently had a 3 1/2 year old Pomeranian die due to kidney failure. She had never gotten into antifreeze and was a very happy and healthy dog. I have another pom (her sister), and they both ate the same food, Nutro Ultra Small Breed.

It never dawned on me that it could have been the food that made the one sick, but I just recently have noticed that her sister, after eating the food, had acted bizarre. She almost seems like she was going to fall over and stopped breathing for a minute, this happened twice. The last time I fed her the food was yesterday afternoon. She had also been throwing up.

Now that I've stopped feeding her the Nutro she seems okay. I am taking her to the vet to have a kidney panel done. I pray that she is okay. Is there someone I can contact after I get the results? As I mentioned, my one Pomeranian is dead, and I am waiting for an appointment with my vet to get the other tested. At any rate, I do believe that the food is having a negative effect on the one dog still with us. I would really like to know if the food caused the other to die.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2010

My 4 year old chihuahua all of a sudden got sick, and on the second day (today) December 31, 2009 has had bloody stool and became lethargic. She won't eat, no vets are open due to the holidays, and after searching on the internet for any help with my situation, I came across the Nutro recall. That would explain her condition. She had not eaten anything different, or been outside to get into anything. I can only hope she pulls through this, for this dog means the world to me. I did notify the Nutro company with complaint about her condition, and let them know if she dies, their there will be an FDA investigation and autopsy to confirm my horror! I will be writing on the comment space, to let you know in the next day or so, what will happen to my precious Daisy!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2009

Our beloved 5-month old puppy named Bicho died two weeks ago of renal/kidney failure. He was very healthy and playful and suddenly he was feeling lethargic and started vomiting his dry puppy food. I immediately took him to the "Emergency Animal Hospital" and 3 days later he died!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2009

Our 14-year old Cocker Spaniel, Dixie, became ill and was tested extensively at Animals First Vet Hospital. There were no medical reasons for these severe symptoms. She was vomiting, had diarrhea, and finally refused to eat. She became very weak and could not walk up or down the stairs. She slept almost continually. She has been leashed and rarely even leaves her own yard for walking. We thought she was just in the last phases of dying. She had been fed Nutro Ultra Senior Dog Food exclusively for years. After the Vet strongly suggested changing her food, she surprisingly recovered almost completely. After reading many of the blogs on this dog food, it seems that Dixie was probably being poisoned by her dog food.

Ultra Holistic Dog Food Company Information