3.88/5
  • 1 star
Based on 8 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good dog food brand?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 23, 2017

33 Ultra Holistic Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I have used Nutro Ultra for 9 years. The last couple of bags we have bought have been full of trash! Little bits of blue plastic, white plastic threads that look kind of like what you pull to open packages and huge rat turds. My eyesight isn't too good, and I just thought maybe at first that it was bits and pieces of the fruits, veggies that go in the food, but my husband inspected it more closely and discovered that it was all bits of plastic and rat turds. I had just bought a new bag but returned it. I will not buy any more of the Nutro brand dog food. I had noticed in the dogs' poop that there were odd looking colors in it. I just wonder how long I have been feeding my dogs trash!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

My dog has a lot of food allergies that affect her skin and Ultra Holistic Dog Food was recommended to me by a friend. My dog liked the food and it’s amazing but it smelled horrible and worse than a normal dog food, so I would improve the smell if I could. There were also little bits of fruit or something in it that my dog didn't really like and she would only eat them if another dog was around. But that wouldn't stop me from buying it again. It would be nice to have more flavor for allergy sensitive dogs.

I like that Ultra Holistic Dog Food was all natural and didn't have all kind of fillers and additives in it. It wasn't too overpriced which was good and it was easy to find at any local pet store. It came in a variety of sizes and flavors although my dog could only eat one specific flavor. My dog is allergic to sweet potatoes and that seems to be in a lot of natural holistic dog foods which prevents me from buying a lot of brands. I would recommend Ultra Holistic Dog Food to other pet owners who were looking to find a natural food or had a dog with severe allergies.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I like that the food is grain free which means it is free of corn and gluten. The pellets are small for my dog who is smaller, 30 lbs, so she can eat it. I like that it comes in many flavors for variety for my dog. She likes it a lot. But the price is outrageous. It's hard to pay for it when I need a new bag. I wish there were coupons to use to make it slightly cheaper. It's expensive but high quality for my dog.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

It works best for my dog. I've tried multiple brands of dog food and lots of them seemed to not catch his attention to eat. I then changed the brand into a more expensive brand and he finds his way to eat enough before going to drink his water. However, I feel like the prices of dog food should change. I feel as if they're humans as well and some dogs only eat certain foods. You can't get every dog to eat the same brand of food rather it looks better or not.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My dog had digestive issues. He was unable to keep anything down. After using the superfood, he completely regained his appetite and stopped vomiting. It is a wet dog food and it has chunks in gravy. It smells like your basic wet dog food, but it is clearly higher quality. My dog enjoyed the taste more than most food. However, I would like if it was cheaper. It is quite expensive and the only food my dog can eat. Other than the price, this food is wonderful. I am still willing to pay for it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ultra Holistic Dog Food?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

These brands contain the well amount of nutrients my dog requires to keep a healthy diet. I am very picky on the things I feed my dogs. I look for the best foods that contain natural health ingredients that will give my dog a healthy coat, healthy bones, is not too hard on their teeth, and is healthy for their digestive system. The texture is a little bit rough but not too rough and it smells like chicken and fish or beef. My dog seems to like it when there's a little bit of wet food added to the kibble. However, I tend to not like the prices. I sometimes find it hard to find a reasonable price food for my dog that is not being cheap when it comes to the nutrients and needs of my dog. I wish these brands would have more available coupons that would help reduce the price of the product.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Food was good quality and healthy. I tried this because of a sample I had gotten. My dogs enjoyed it, and it smelled decent. Would buy more if it were on sale or there were coupons. Don't see this in supermarkets - have to go to Petsmart to get it.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

Me and my girlfriend has 4 dogs and all of them are Shih Tzu. All of them eat Holistic Recipe's Adult Meal every day. Our dogs love it. They are healthy, energetic and have soft hair. I can say that it gives complete nutrition to our pets. One good thing is it's not pricey too.

Original review: June 23, 2011

We just put our dog down. We had been feeding her Ultra Senior dog food for the past year because she had an allergy to wheat and Ultra was gluten free. Before she got sick, she drank continuously, had accidents in the house and at the end, was passing nothing but blood in her stools. I'm now wondering if the dog food we thought was supposed to help her was making her sick and led to her demise.

Original review: May 18, 2011

We switched our healthy, vibrant four-year-old miniature schnauzer to Nutro Ultra Holistic Superfood in Nov/Dec 2010 from Eukaneba, which she had been on since she was a puppy. In January 2011, our dog became severely ill--vomiting bile and massive diarrhea. We brought her to the vet and they ran several tests (pancreatitis, addison's disease, parasites, etc.) and did X-rays. Everything came back normal. We fed her ground turkey and rice for about a week and she seemed to be doing better so we reintroduced the Nutro Ultra. Over the next few months, we noticed several changes in her. She vomited bile occasionally, had loose stools, extreme thirst, trouble urinating, glassy eyes, lethargic, dry skin, dull coat and bad breath. On May 15th, she vomited blood. We called her vet on Monday morning and they put her on two medications--one to coat her stomach and antacid. On Tuesday afternoon she vomited bright red blood. We took her to the vet again and they gave her fluids under the skin and antibiotics.

I believe that Nutro Ultra is to blame. Our perfectly healthy dog became severely sick after we switched her food.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2010

My 4 year old dachshund/chihuahua mix became ill last month. She started vomiting one morning and it continued throughout the day. It was a Sunday so of course all we could do was call an emergency clinic since our vet was closed. She became increasingly sick, lethargic and in the wee hours of Monday morning was barely able to walk. One trip to the emergency clinic and she was given fluids and we were instructed to take her ASAP to our vet. Because of her condition, blood work was done which suggested a bout of pancreatitis.

It took about 2 weeks to get her well with repeated trips for fluids, antibiotics, special food, etc. $500 later she was getting better, but even weeks later she was still vomiting on occasion. I suspected the food and called Nutro and they said there were no recalls, but it was possible the bags might have been left on the truck in the hot sun too long. Are you kidding me? She had to eat prescription food for weeks and eventually I switched her to Wellness dog food. I am praying this does not happen again. I am convinced that it was the Nutro. I will never buy one of their products again.

Original review: March 12, 2010

I changed all of my dogs over to Nutro Ultra dry dog food, and all of them got sick. One of which died after her kidneys shut down. I still have a 4-month-old puppy that is still on antibiotic for a urinary tract infection. The other dogs were vomiting yellow bio. This company, after reading all these complaints about this food, needs to be investigated. I have one dog dead and many others sick. Someone please help.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2010

I had been feeding my Rottie and Lab Nutro Large Breed dog food for several years. In November, 2009, I started feeding them Nutro Ultra Large Breed Adult food thinking it would be better for them being holistic. I noticed my lab would vomit bile quite often. He had his annual vet visit on Feb. 16, 2010. That morning he had vomited again. His liver enzymes were slightly elevated as were my Rotti's on her last visit. I opened a new bag of food on Sat. Feb. 20th and fed them. Later that day, I found 3 large piles of vomited food. My Rotti walked away from her food when I fed her that evening. I gave it to her about an hour later and she finally ate it. The next day my lab refused to eat. I was finding yellow bile each day on the floor.

It wasn't until today Feb. 23rd that I realized it must be the food making them both sick. I googled Nutro and found so many stories like mine. I called my vet, e-mailed nutro, brought the rest of the bag of food and the Ultra canned food back to Petco hoping that it could be tested and that batch be taken off of the shelves. It can't be removed until approved by the corporate office. Until then many more dogs may get sick. I saved a few cups of food hoping I can find a place where it can be tested. The Best By date and batch # of the bag that made both of them sick is 01-16-11 27 1 002 G1 LEB 02 15 02. My Rotti won't eat anything today and is very lethargic.

If my Rotti doesn't start eating, I have to bring her to the vet and hope that something will help her. She has always been healthy before this. My lab seems to be okay today. I will not buy Nutro again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2010

I just recently had a 3 1/2 year old Pomeranian die due to kidney failure. She had never gotten into antifreeze and was a very happy and healthy dog. I have another pom (her sister), and they both ate the same food, Nutro Ultra Small Breed.

It never dawned on me that it could have been the food that made the one sick, but I just recently have noticed that her sister, after eating the food, had acted bizarre. She almost seems like she was going to fall over and stopped breathing for a minute, this happened twice. The last time I fed her the food was yesterday afternoon. She had also been throwing up.

Now that I've stopped feeding her the Nutro she seems okay. I am taking her to the vet to have a kidney panel done. I pray that she is okay. Is there someone I can contact after I get the results? As I mentioned, my one Pomeranian is dead, and I am waiting for an appointment with my vet to get the other tested. At any rate, I do believe that the food is having a negative effect on the one dog still with us. I would really like to know if the food caused the other to die.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2010
I previously wrote with about my horrible experience about my Healthy Vaccinated 4 yr. old chichuachua that became seriously ill, I alledgedly believe from Nutro brand Holistic Superfood for puppies Date best by 09/01/10 UPC#7910551314 by first started by stop eating and only drank a little water. Then became lethargic by mid afternoon, I called vet they were closed it was new years eve. So I started her on dropper fulls of pedialyte (every hour) forcing it slowly into her mouth to keep her hydrated(the most important thing to do asap when a dog stops eating, dont wait!!!) Next day had bloody stools and still not eating, kept up the pedialyte This will flush their system of poisons and help keep them from shutting down until you can get to the vet. Also use pancake syrup on their gums to stimulate their blood levels and will help them to start eating again. Third day she ate little boiled chicken and started feeling a little better but I never stopped the pedialyte. Fourth day she was much better and now fine.Please if your dog is having symptoms like these Give the Childrens pedialyte every hr. Even through the night! I am in the process of getting an indepentant lab results performed on the food to determine my strong suspicions, so that I may help save other pets. I will be writing after I have concluded what caused my dog her severe illness.
Original review: Jan. 1, 2010

My 4 year old chihuahua all of a sudden got sick, and on the second day (today) December 31, 2009 has had bloody stool and became lethargic. She won't eat, no vets are open due to the holidays, and after searching on the internet for any help with my situation, I came across the Nutro recall. That would explain her condition. She had not eaten anything different, or been outside to get into anything. I can only hope she pulls through this, for this dog means the world to me. I did notify the Nutro company with complaint about her condition, and let them know if she dies, their there will be an FDA investigation and autopsy to confirm my horror! I will be writing on the comment space, to let you know in the next day or so, what will happen to my precious Daisy!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2009

Our beloved 5-month old puppy named Bicho died two weeks ago of renal/kidney failure. He was very healthy and playful and suddenly he was feeling lethargic and started vomiting his dry puppy food. I immediately took him to the "Emergency Animal Hospital" and 3 days later he died!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2009

Our 14-year old Cocker Spaniel, Dixie, became ill and was tested extensively at Animals First Vet Hospital. There were no medical reasons for these severe symptoms. She was vomiting, had diarrhea, and finally refused to eat. She became very weak and could not walk up or down the stairs. She slept almost continually. She has been leashed and rarely even leaves her own yard for walking. We thought she was just in the last phases of dying. She had been fed Nutro Ultra Senior Dog Food exclusively for years. After the Vet strongly suggested changing her food, she surprisingly recovered almost completely. After reading many of the blogs on this dog food, it seems that Dixie was probably being poisoned by her dog food.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2009

I recently changed my dogs' dog food from Royal Canin to Nutro Ultra dog food for seniors. I gradually added the new food to her old food to get her used to it. She appeared to be doing fine. After being on the Nutro for 5 days, she started to have watery stools and was not her usual perky self, even though she is 13 years old. On the 7th day, she started to have blood in her stools. I immediately took her off the food and started giving her only rice and scrambled eggs. It appears that she is doing better now. Her stools still have blood in them, but they are now starting to have a little form to them.

My vet recommended that I continue to not give her any food for the next couple of days and then gradually start her back on regular dog food again. This time I will make her dog food and not ever purchase dog food from a company again. There should be a law against dog food manufacturer poisoning our pets. Hopefully, my dog will recover from this poison since I removed it from her diet. I just hope it does not leave any permanent damage.

Original review: June 16, 2009

I have been feeding my 2-year old pit-bull mix Nutro dog food for about 1.5 years. Recently, I switched to the new Ultra brand. About 2 weeks ago, she started having severe diarrhea. I took her to a vet who tested her for a bacterial infection and gave her x-rays. He determined there was no bacterial infection and no bowl obstruction. He determined she must have "ate something she shouldn't have" and sent her home with some antibiotics and a shot of anti-diarrhea medicine.

Her condition improved for a week or so and then she developed diarrhea again. This bout lasted for four days. Over the four days, we did a process of elimination on what we fed her until we were down to only the Nutro food. I then went to the internet and read some of the recent consumer complaints against Nutro. I took her off the food immediately and fed her ground sirloin and veggies for dinner. The very next day, her condition improved and the diarrhea stopped suddenly. I will never again feed my dog Nutro or any product made by its manufacturers! I had a friend who was also using the brand and I called him immediately to tell him about the complaints! I had to throw away a brand new $34 bag of food. Also, my trip to the vet cost me $265.

Original review: June 16, 2009

I have been feeding my 2-year old dog Nutro Ultra since her adoption in 9/08. She would have occasional GI upsets with yellow bile vomit. I thought this was just normal upset until 2 1/2 weeks ago when she started having extreme diarrhea and fecal vomiting. I took her to the Pet ER; after a series of tests, fluids and medications she was sent home on Flagyl and a bland diet. She recovered after a few days and I started her back on her Nutro Ultra. A week later, she started having diarrhea again so I put her on rice and chicken for a few days and everything was resolved. Last night, she started having diarrhea and fecal vomiting again. I did not feed her yesterday and this morning I gave her rice and chicken. She seems to feel better but is still lethargic. She did have an appetite though. I decided to google Nutro to see if there was a recall as I was at my wit’s end what could be causing this. I was very alarmed to read all the letters from pet owners. I will not be using Nutro any longer. I just hope that my little baby will be alright.

Original review: May 27, 2009

Two healthy American Bulldogs. They have become very lethargic, increased bowel movements and throwing up yellow bile. The food was lighter in color than normal. Dogs are choosing not to eat the food. I know that there have been recalls on the regular Nutro, but I feel that the Nutro Ultra needs to be investigated.

Original review: April 25, 2009

I lost my 13 year old poodle last week with bloody stools and another one of my small young dogs was sick with the same thing. She was in the hospital for 2 days on medication and IV's and got well. The poodle was put to sleep. Today my 15 year old poodle came down with the same symptoms. All my house dogs eat the Ultra Adult Dog Food. My outside dogs eat another brand and are fine. Vet bill on Chihuahua was $472.00. The poodle was $55.00 to put to sleep. If I lose my older female, I am really going to be upset as she has been very healthy until now and I thought I was feeding a very high quality dog food.

Original review: April 22, 2009

Wow! We have used Nutro for several years with no problems. Then last month, we adopted a new buddy. We went to the pet store and bought a large bag of Nutro and slowly started to introduce him to this new food. We noticed that our female (who had eaten Nutro her entire life) refused to eat the new food. We chalked it up to the excitement of a new family member. We also noted that our newest family member was vomiting a lot and it was really foamy. Gradually, both were eating the new food but drinking a lot of water. Both started to vomit foamy stuff. Our vet could find no reason for the condition. So $100 later, we went home and switched foods. Both seem to be doing fine now. This experience has been pretty traumatic. Our dogs are really important to us! Although the cost has been minimal ($154 for vet, $25 for inedible Nutro food), the emotional impact of the fear of losing our pets was incalculable.

Original review: April 22, 2009

I had been feeding Nutro Ultra for 3 years. Last fall, I bought the 20# (est.) size bag and 1 of my 3 westies would not eat it. One that did eat ended up with loose bowels. After I mixed the food with Ultra Adult, the one not eating would eat but leave some of the Weight Management kibble in the bowl. I finished the bag and was in a pitch and bought a 5# bag of the Nutro Ultra Weight Management everyone ate and seemed to be fine. Then I bought the 20# size Nutro Ultra Weight Management again and had the bowel and refusal problems again. I have now switched and all 3 are eating and feeling fine. Nutro lost my business.

Original review: April 22, 2009

Our dog was a healthy, vibrant, and strong dog. She became pregnant and had 12 beautiful puppies. We started to give her Nutro Ultra Puppy Food since it had so many nutrients. However, within a day of eating the puppy food, she became ill and could not hold her bowels. She started to have several accidents. She lost a lot of weight and her hair actually started to fall out, even though she is a short-haired dog you can definitely see the difference. She is only 3 years old and she looks like she is 70 years. Her bones are protruding whereas our other dog that eats a different brand of dog food looks extremely healthy with a very shinny coat.

We took our dog to the vet and they gave her antibiotics and vitamins. We were also giving her puppies the Nutro and have noticed that they now have started to have the runs. We have decided to stop giving our dogs this food, and hopefully, someone will complain enough to have this brand removed from the shelves, because at the end of the day, the animals that we love are suffering. This food is supposed to be really good for our animals, and it is actually harming them and our pockets.

Original review: April 22, 2009

I have 3 indoor dogs, 2 Cocker Spaniels, and one Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I also have a cat. My oldest Cocker, I have had for 9 years. He can eat anything, and he will usually eat any kind of dog food. He is not picky. He was always on Pedigree, and sometimes dry cat food when he would get into that but was never sick. Since I saved the other two dogs from the pound, I have usually fed all three, Kibbles and Bits or Pedigree.

A family member who works at Petco who told me to try Nutro Ultra, since it was so well-balanced and I would see a great improvement in my dogs' coats and energy. Instead, all I have seen is vomiting all over my living room, bedroom, and anywhere else they can. I feel so sorry for them. They are like my children. They have been peeing constantly and eating grass, as much as they can. I was near the end of the bag and watched CNN News and then found all the complaints. It is not a coincidence. My dogs have been healthy always! They were never sick and have always switched between different foods and actually, like eating different varieties. So when I purchased this, I was surprised that they didn't want to eat it. It took them a month to eat a bag that would normally be gone in three weeks.

I never thought the great dog food that everyone says is so good for your dog would hurt my three little babies. They should be ashamed of themselves for selling that to unsuspecting consumers who are trying to give their pets the proper nutrients. Today, I saved the rest of the Nutro, and I am calling the Ohio FDA line tomorrow to complain. Everyone should be calling to complain before some of their pets end up like the ones I read on this website. Thank God, I was watching TV or I would have gone out and bought another bag today of Nutro. Instead they got Pedigree and they ate like they had been starved.

Shame on Nutro, and Petco should forget about their friendship with the Nutro people and start worrying about their customers and direct them to another brand of dog food until it can be figured out. No pet food brand can be that great that you would let your customers buy something that would hurt their pets!

Original review: March 23, 2009

After feeding my two English Toy Spaniels Nutro Ultra for several years, one became sick with throwing up and diarrhea and the other refused to eat. One began having accidents in the house, which was highly unusual. She was uncomfortable, not able to settle down and only wanted to go outside to eat grass for the eventual outcome of throwing up. Suspicious about their food since it had been recalled before, I began making their food and their appetite increased. But a blood test proved that they have elevated liver enzymes and are now on an antibiotic and milk thistle, which I'm told can regenerate the liver. I'm not shocked. I'm furious that money is the priority of Nutro. Instead of doing what's right, they are doing nothing as a recall would of course cost them money. Instead, the consumer pays the cost of a sick or dead loved one and vet costs.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2009

I have 3 dogs. One of our dogs, Gracie, got sick last November. She vomited a couple of times but had diarrhea until the vet put her on Amoxicillin and Metronidazole. Every time we took her off the medicine, she got diarrhea again. We just recently got lab results that she has food allergies. We had already changed from the Nutro food to Science Diet, but I just heard about the issues with dogs on Nutro. Our pomeranian seems to be fine. Our black lab mix that is 12 has had some unusual symptoms but no vomiting or diarrhea. We are hoping that Gracie is on the road to recovery now. We still have our last bag of Nutro. I'm glad I heard about this because I was going to give it to The Humane Society this weekend.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2009

My dog ate the Nutro Ultra adult dog food and had terrible constipation problems. She was lethargic for a couple of days before I changed her dog food. Then she was fine again. I lost about $20 spent on dog food and biscuits for her, not to mention a whole mess of time and paper towels trying to help her get her #2 out!

Ultra Holistic Dog Food expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Ultra-Holistic Dog Foods uses a blend of ingredients to provide dogs with nutrition, help the strength and shininess of their coats and keep them healthy.

• Ingredients designed for healthy skin: Flaxseed and sunflower oil found in Ultra Holistic's blends help improve dogs' skin health.

• Carrots and spinach promote healthy vision: Carrots, spinach and other ingredients help dogs keep their eyes healthy and their vision sharp.

• Natural antioxidants: The antioxidants in blueberries and other natural ingredients help boost dogs' immune systems.

• Animal-based protein builds muscles: Natural, animal-based sources of protein help dogs strengthen their muscles.

• Designed with heart health in mind: Combinations of ingredients are designed to strengthen dogs' heart health.

• Best for: Healthy active dogs, puppies, dogs that are pregnant or lactating and senior dogs.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor

Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Ultra Holistic Dog Food Company Information