Trupanion

Trupanion Reviews

3.5/5 (244 ratings)

About Trupanion Reviews

For over 20 years, Trupanion pet insurance has offered comprehensive dog and cat insurance. It covers 90% of customers’ vet bills for accidents, illnesses, injuries, surgeries, hospital stays and many other costly vet visits. Trupanion does not cap payout limits to ensure your pet’s health needs are met. It sets lifetime deductibles for every condition, so there is no need to reach a new deductible every year for long-term conditions. Trupanion also pays veterinarians directly, simplifying the process for consumers. Pet owners can also purchase additional coverage (Recovery and Complementary Care package) for services like acupuncture, chiropractic treatment and hydrotherapy.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Pros

• Direct payment to veterinarians
    • 90% coverage
    • No payout limits
    • Lifetime per-incident deductible

Cons

• No discount for multiple pets
    • No coverage for routine wellness

Bottom Line

Trupanion pet insurance offers deductibles based on individual conditions, along with customizable coverage and a variety of deductible options.

Top Trupanion Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Verified

Trupanion was a lifesaver. When both my dogs had serious medical issues at the same time, I had $10,000 in vet bills. Trupanion paid most of it. I was able to take care of them wi...

Verified

My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor and needed surgery and further treatment... I submitted my 1st claim and within 2 weeks I got reimbursed for 90% minus my deductible in...

What is Trupanion?

Trupanion offers both dog insurance and cat insurance. With Trupanion, all customers receive one simple plan that makes clear what’s covered and what’s not.

Trupanion plans cover all unexpected injuries and illnesses, reimbursing customers for 90% of their vet bills without payout limits once they’ve met their deductibles. Trupanion’s customer service team also lessens billing hassles by paying veterinarians directly.

Once you’ve enrolled, Trupanion’s waiting period for injury coverage is five days, which is shorter than the industry standard of 14 days. However, the waiting period before it covers treating any illnesses is 30 days.

Trupanion plans

Trupanion pet health insurance offers just one type of plan, although it’s applicable to both cats and dogs. Trupanion’s pet insurance plan is more expensive than many of its competitors', but the plan is comprehensive, and rates don’t automatically increase as your pet ages. With Trupanion’s lifetime, per-condition deductible, customers save more in the long run for chronic conditions, too.

What does Trupanion cover?

Trupanion pet insurance covers 90% of the cost to treat any new illness or condition that your pet experiences during the policy’s term. Its policies do not cover preexisting conditions, including any illness, injury or condition that your pet had before enrollment.

You have to wait at least five days to get coverage for injury treatment and 30 days for illness care. This is why it’s a good idea to enroll your pet while it’s young and healthy, before anything potentially serious and costly happens.

The company covers 90% of the cost of hereditary diseases, unidentified issues and congenital illnesses that are not preexisting conditions. This includes health problems that many other providers don’t cover, including:

• Hip dysplasia
    • Vitamins and supplements
    • Dental illness
    • Orthopedic issues

How much does Trupanion cost?

Trupanion dog insurance costs between $36 and $100 per month for most breeds, and Trupanion cat insurance costs between $23 and $57 per month. With Trupanion, pet owners can customize their coverage with a deductible up to $1,000 and add coverage enhancements, such as recovery care and pet owner assistance. Coverage enhancements add a few dollars to your premium every month.

Trupanion pet insurance plans include lifetime, per-condition deductibles instead of annual deductibles, meaning customers don’t have to keep paying year after year for a chronic condition. Once you’ve met the deductible for your pet’s condition, you’ll never have to pay the deductible again to treat it.

Trupanion does not offer a discount for multiple pets, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Trupanion FAQ

What is not covered?
    Exam fees, taxes, wellness and preventive care and preexisting conditions are not covered. For an additional cost, you can purchase the Recovery and Complementary Care rider to cover alternative therapies and treatments.
    Does Trupanion cover vaccinations?
    No, Trupanion’s pet health insurance plan does not cover vaccinations. It only covers unexpected expenses, which don’t include wellness care, like vaccinations or preventive medications.
    How long does it take to complete a claim with Trupanion pet insurance?
    If your vet uses Trupanion’s software, Trupanion can directly pay the vet in minutes. You can ask if your veterinary clinic or hospital uses it. For reimbursement, the claims team processes the majority of claims within 24 hours, keeping you informed throughout the process. Many reviewers who pay at the time of visit mention getting reimbursed within two weeks.
    Does Trupanion cover bloodwork?
    It depends. If the bloodwork is routine, Trupanion pet insurance does not cover it. However, if it’s required as part of treatment for a covered illness or injury, it is covered.
    Does Trupanion cover neutering?
    Like most pet insurance companies, Trupanion does not cover the cost of neutering.

Is Trupanion worth it?

Trupanion is a pet insurance company offering a wide variety of coverage and convenience benefits. It has decades of experience, covers over 500,000 pets and has paid out over $1 billion in claims paid.  We recommend getting a quote and comparing coverage and cost with offers from other pet insurers.

Trupanion Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trupanion USA?

Original review: May 1, 2022

I am a 10 YEAR CUSTOMER with multiple pets so listen VERY CAREFULLY. TRUPANION FACTS:

1) Raises premiums every year with or without claims. I have been lucky with my pets as I have not had many claims. I have 1 large claim and now comes the denial for a covered illness. I have spent 20,000 dollars in premiums over 10 years!
    2) Only small claims written out very carefully by your vet without any vague terms will be paid.
    3) They add exclusions to your policy as they receive an increase of claims in that area so they don’t have payouts.
    4) Any Appeal you do is just to give you a false impression that the outcome will change. It’s just to get rid of a furious customer for a few weeks. They try to drag it out until you give up on the claim.
    5) Their business model is fake compassion to take advantage of animal lovers and rescuers. The only pure love a human can receive is from an animal and TRUPANION VULTURES are there to exploit the kind souls that love animals.
    6) TRUPANION is like a SHADY homeowner insurance company that would deny paying a roof claim and close up shop after a hurricane.

7) TRUPANION is a MISLEADING FALSE ADVERTISING business model.

Original review: April 27, 2022

Trupanion Canada has honoured the terms of service in a timely, uncomplicated way. Unlike human insurance they do not make you jump through hoops. My dog became ill and after the agreed deductible, she is covered. My Vet's office submits the expenses, Trupanion Canada acknowledges receipt to me by email and then follows up with decision breakdown in an easy to read summary. Payment is deposited in my bank account or sent to me by cheque. Thank you Trupanion. You are helping me give my dog the care she deserves!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2022

After paying $2500/ year and asking for help after 4 years of paying, they would not help. No other comments, totally disappointed. Canceling my policy for 2 pets. I needed help with my 1.2 years old GS for neutering with testicles not dropped (stuck in the abdomen) not a regular neutering. I would never ask for help if it would be a regular issue.

Original review: April 13, 2022

2 yr old Labrador Retriever, vomiting 1 week, declined treatment and diagnostics (ultrasound for foreign body) because at 4 months the puppy was eating some leaves and it was noted in the pet's chart. They refused to cover any of the diagnostic costs, because they claim it is a "preexisting condition". People try to do the right thing for their pets, and pay a lot of money for this corporation, which is a big scam. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Started paying premium when my puppy was 3 months old. A year later, had to get a non-cancerous tumor removed. They said it was a pre-existing condition from before I started a policy. What a scam. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I have paid for Trupanion for three years. With three dogs I paid close to $200 a month. As other have shared, they have repeatedly and continually increased prices. The last notice I received two weeks ago had the rates going up 20% on each pet for the third time. We also unfortunately lost our girl to cancer and she had many health issues caused because of the cancer due to her declining health. Instead of paying any portion of her many costly vet bills, Trupanion used the deductible of $1000 for every line item, thus never paying out a dime for any of her care although it all related to the same thing, Cancer.

They had many $1000 deductibles off the same claim as the doctor listed on the same invoice multiple diagnosis such as UTI, cancer, cyst, and each one created a $1000 deductible and they claimed each $1000 was our responsibility per policy. They paid nothing on her cancer issues and all the health problems cancer can cause. I will never use them again and highly recommend others to not ever use Trupanion. They are far too expensive, do not care about you and your pet, and do not want to pay the claims. It's apparent they have found loopholes so they can figure out ways to not pay your claims. Avoid at all cost unless your goal is to just lose your money as there will never be a payout for your pet's health coverage.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

We got Trupanion when we got our puppy thinking that Golden Retrievers are high risk for all sorts of issues. We started off paying $26.76/mo. with a $1,000 deductible when she was 1 year old. A year later, they upped it to $31.90. A year after that, another bump to $33.85. A month later, they upped it again to $34.72. 6-1/2 years later, we're paying $37.89. Our dog is doing great, but had a lump on her back and a growth in her mouth and discoloration on her nose. We took her to the Vet to get them checked out, and they gave us an estimate which we sent to Trupanion. Over $1000 bill and said they wouldn't pay a thing.

We had the surgery done, sent them our receipt, again, true to their word, they didn't pay. We've paid over $3000 in monthly payments and when we needed them, they wouldn't pay. We're canceling our subscription and not throwing more money after bad. It's a scam. Don't fall for it. Save the money you would otherwise pay Trupanion and use it when you need it. Up to this point we would have had to have over $4300 in medical bills for our dog just to break EVEN. And even then they pay only 90% of costs after that leaving you with paying 10% for the remainder of the medical. And if a DIFFERENT condition comes up, then you have to start all over again with the $1000 deductible. It's a scam. Don't pay. I'd give negative 5 stars if I could.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

With Trupanion, be prepared to have your rates massively increased as your pets hit age milestones. They start out at the puppy age saying to get on with them early to avoid the big hikes down the road. However, once they hit age milestones that make it difficult to switch, they start hitting you with the rate hikes. We’ve had multiple rate hikes exceeding 20% year over year. They want to get your in early, then price you out when you actually get to the age that there is some risk where you might need the insurance. They give a bunch of lies that it’s about new treatments and options, but you won’t necessarily see it in your area. Bunch of corporate ** when they’re just stabbing you in the back.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Always have to dispute their decisions, which includes contacting a vet so they can write a letter. Never processed a claim without fighting with them. No matter what the issue is they always try to find a way to tie it to something that he had prior to the policy (e.g. hematoma in his ear – well he had otitis 10 years ago so that’s a preexisting condition, hemorrhaging and vomiting blood – well he was vomiting 10 years ago so that’s preexisting). Put your money in your savings account to pay your future vet bill instead of throwing it away by paying those scammers. Lastly, the premiums tripled since we signed up initially, despite the fact that we were assured that ensured won’t go up with our dog’s age.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I have had Trupanion pet insurance since 2015. First, my two cats were enrolled. At the age of about 6-8 years, one of my cats developed a terrible ear infection related to allergies. Trupanion would not reimburse me for vet bills claiming that the condition was preexisting. Since my cat was older, I believed in Trupanion and accepted their explanation for not providing monetary compensation for vet expenses.

In 2019, I purchased a baby standard poodle less than 3 months old. To complete the purchase and receive a copy of his papers, a vet had to give my poodle, Sir, a clean bill of health. As this task was completed, I enrolled him in the Trupanion pet health insurance program. On his wellness visit, the vet tech plucked my dog's ears. A week later I brought my poodle back to the vet, and he then had a bilateral ear infection. Sir was treated and did not have any other medical problems until after the 30-day grace period when the full policy was in effect.

Over the 3 years that I have had my poodle, he has had ear infections, scratchy skin, and some diarrhea. It was not until the beginning of 2021 that I learned that plucking a dog's ears can actually cause infections. I did not send my claims for vet care compensation to Trupanion within the 30 to 90 day period that they request as I have been very ill with Covid, anemia, an electrolyte imbalance, and an allergic response to something in my backyard.

When I did finally submit my claims earlier this year, reviewers immediately denied claims. I had to get one vet to write a statement that ear infections, eye infections, red lips, and diarrhea are all signs and symptoms of one disorder-allergies. The Trupanion claim analysts tried to say that each condition was separate.

Then, they asserted that my allergy claim was preexisting because Sir had an ear infection after the vet plucked his ears during the wellness visit. For a second time, I had to get the vet from that center to write a statement acknowledging that his assistant plucked my dog's ears and that this likely caused him to have the ear infection. After Sir's initial ear infection, my dog did not have another medical problem until the 30-day grace period was up. Yet, Trupanion refuses to cover my dog's monthly allergy shots.

I attempted to get help from a state agency in Atlanta, Georgia. However, after submitting my claim, the representative essentially told me that they are not lawyers and they do not have the authority to do very much. In this case, my representative wrote up my side and Trupanion's side of the issue, but nothing was resolved.

Please read the reviews on Consumer Affairs. I do not see any good reviews about Trupanion since 2018. These claim analysts are in a position of authority, and they look for ways to deny financial reimbursement to the customer. I have had Trupanion pet health insurance since 2015, and it was a huge mistake on my part. From this time forward, I will save money every month for pet health issues. I have stopped my contract with Trupanion this evening.

This is not a caring or compassionate company. This is an organization that is out to make a profit. Regardless of your pet's medical injury or illness, their claim analysts will call the shots and interpret vet records whatever way they see fit. If you look at the Trupanion website, they encourage people to enroll their pets when they are babies and before they have medical conditions. That is exactly what I did, and yet they have asserted that my poodle's allergy symptoms are preexisting.

I am a nurse, and I have medical knowledge. It is not difficult to read the notes written by people at a vet's office. Sir's allergies were not preexisting. Trupanion claim analysts simply do not want to pay for my dog's allergy shots. Shame on this organization for not having senior stockholders who will read these reviews and investigate on their own. As I wrote in the beginning, Run for your life away from Trupanion!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Trupanion Company Information