2. Pets
  3. Dog Food
Accredited Partner

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.40/5

Taste of the Wild is a pet food company that uses premium ingredients and no additives. The company offers a wide variety of pet food flavors and has specific formulas for pets in different life stages or with dietary restrictions.

BOTTOM LINE

Taste of the Wild offers premium dog food at an affordable price. While it’s still more expensive than some other brands, its natural ingredients and quality assurance make it stand out.

PROS

• No additives
  • Variety of flavors
  • Premium ingredients
  • Quality assurance

CONS

• Not widely available
  • More expensive

Top Taste of the Wild Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Our dog Baxter has severe food allergies. It took us a while to find a good dog food that he could actually eat! Baxter loves Taste of the Wild… Thank you Taste of the Wild for keeping our boy healthy and happy!

I have a 11.5 year-old female Standard Poodle. ... I was delighted when I saw the limited, non-GMO ingredients on Prey Turkey formula and decided to try her on it 2 years ago. Much to my amazement, she ate it quickly and felt good on it....

Taste of the Wild Shop on Chewy

Taste of the Wild dog food

What is Taste of the Wild dog food?

Taste of the Wild dog food offers high-quality meals based on each pet’s natural diet. All formulas are made with real meat, including wild boar, smoked salmon, roasted duck and venison, to create a tastier and heartier bowl of food for puppies and dogs. In addition to natural ingredients, formulas include probiotics and are free of all artificial colors, preservatives and flavors.

For a more simpler, Taste of the Wild also offers a PREY formula that has minimal ingredients. Other pet food product lines include:

• Taste of the Wild puppy food
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - dry
  • Taste of the Wild cat food - wet
  • Grain-free
  • Senior formula
  • Pregnant or nursing blend

How does Taste of the Wild work?

Taste of the Wild dog food is designed to give pets a better food option inspired by the protein sources animals are meant to eat, meaning ones they ate when they were wild. The goal is to provide the vitality that nature intended.

Taste of the Wild sources all ingredients from high-quality vendors that share the same purpose and mission to provide ingredients without fillers, preservatives or artificial flavors. All meats are USDA-inspected and -approved and certified antibiotic free.

Customers can choose from a wide variety of flavors, formulas and types of pet food with Taste of the Wild. Because the benefits are similar across the formulas, most people choose based on which meat product their pet prefers.

Taste of the Wild prices

Taste of the Wild is sold by online retailers and in stores, but not through the company's website. Because of this, prices may vary between stores. In general, Taste of the Wild dog food costs around $13.99 for a five-pound bag and $48.99 for a 28-pound bag. Prices don’t differ between meats or flavors, just by size of the bag. Wet dog food costs about $2.30 per 13.2-ounce can. Some vendors, including Chewy and Petco, provide discounts for customers who subscribe for repeat deliveries.

Taste of the Wild FAQ

Is Taste of the Wild grain free?
The original Taste of the Wild and Taste of the Wild PREY formulas are grain free. The Ancient Grains line includes grains.
Who owns Taste of the Wild?
Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is owned by Schell and Kampeter Inc., a pet food manufacturer with plants across the United States.
Is Taste of the Wild AAFCO approved?
Yes, Taste of the Wild foods are AAFCO approved.
How much is Taste of the Wild dog food?
Taste of the Wild costs about $49 for the biggest available size, which is a 28-pound bag.

Is Taste of the Wild good dog food?

For customers who want a more natural food for their pets, Taste of the Wild is a great option. Its flavors and formulas are designed to mimic the ingredients and nutrients animals would receive in the wild. Prices are fairly comparable to other brands but still a bit more expensive than lower-tier dog food. With the company's strict control system and close relationship with suppliers, Taste of the Wild works hard to ensure its customers receive high-quality dog food.

Taste of the Wild Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Original review: June 24, 2020

We have been buying dog food from this place called DogSupplies.com. They have a warehouse in Huntersville, North Carolina and we've been dealing with them for 10 years. They recommended Taste of the Wild to us and we've been using it for less eight years now. So far, our dog is very healthy. He's got a little bit of hip dysplasia, but he's about 12 years old. I got him as a rescue when he was about two and he's like a puppy sometimes. He likes the different flavors. They used to tell you that if you're gonna change the food, you should give them half of the serving of the old food and half of the new, but we just go from the different flavors and he's fine. As long as it's food, he doesn't care.

I like that Taste of the Wild has a variety and he seems to like them all. He grew up on dry foods and the kibble is great. But it's got a higher protein in it than the other foods that we have been giving him. When we first started giving it to him, he was getting a cup twice a day and he put on about 8 or 10 pounds. The vet said that was a little bit too much, so our dog broke off a little from the protein. The vet said cut him back to a half a cup twice a day and that's what he gets.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I started using Taste of the Wild in 2006. At the time, I had adopted a pit bull and he had wildly sensitive skin and hot spots. He was a year and a half old when I got him and he had a lot of sores through to his tail. I quickly started experimenting with different kinds of foods for him and I did some of the Pure Vita salmon for a little bit. But that was a little bit harder to find and only one place had it. I found that Taste of the Wild worked really well for him and it was a little bit more readily available. He stayed on Taste of the Wild his whole life then eventually, my cats had it as well. I prefer it for the dog that we have right now as well just because it fills him up better. He’s more content. It feels like a healthier alternative. Taste of the Wild is just a better food for my pets. I live in the Midwest now and around my house, there are not many good dog food. I like to drive to a good dog store and get a big bag from our local place.

But my dog developed an enlarged heart issue. There is a high fat and a high sodium content in the Taste of the Wild. It's higher than maybe other alternatives that may be recommend for a dog that is going into heart failure. I tried something new but my dog wasn’t happy with it so I just went back to Taste of the Wild. He only had a year left and I wanted him to be comfortable. I'd like to request that there be a heart-healthy Taste of the Wild in the market because I know that bigger dogs tend to have that issue.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I have tried many of the "best" dog foods on the market, recommended by trainers, breeders and vets. I was even an authorized distributor for a very well known brand. There were many trips to several veterinarians regarding the yeast infection in my German Shepherds ears, I was convinced this yeast issue was caused by a food allergy, even though several vets disagreed. I finally found a new brand, The Taste of the Wild, free of the grain I was sure was causing the problem with yeast. This was 12 years ago, the GSD with the yeast issue cleared up within a week of changing, never refused another dish of food and was able to live YEAST FREE.

I only wish I could have had this sooner so her early life would have been pain free! Now it is the only food my dogs eat. They are active, healthy, have glossy soft coats, clear eyes....and NOT a sign of a yeast infection anywhere! I alternate High Prairie with Pacific Stream and now I am adding Ancient Grains to the rotation. German Shepherds can be finicky eaters and are known for sensitive stomachs. Mine have never had a problem with their appetite or digestive issues at all. I highly recommend The Taste of the Wild and the new line of Ancient Grains. I will continue to feed The Taste of the Wild and Ancient Grains as long as it's available!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Taste of the Wild is my dogs' favorite food. I've been using it for about eight years now. It's grain-free, and that obviously made a huge difference in their diet. The amount of food that you feed them is less compared to everybody else. Their feces is a lot harder than the other ones, which means they’re absorbing all the nutrients they can, and that's great. I had show dogs and their coat was better too. About two months after I switched them over to TOTW, I started getting best in show with them. They definitely love the original, yellow bag, the Buffalo, whereas my Pug loves the lamb. We tried all the different flavors, and he doesn’t like the Mountain one very much, but he’s all over the lamb. I feed him the daily dose but I cut it in half. So, I feed him in the morning about 10 minutes before we leave in the morning for work, and then about 50 minutes after we come home, then we’ll feed him his second half of his full dose.

Whenever we pick up the food, people always ask if it is really worth the price. I tell them my story, and they get the food too. Then the next time I see them, they tell me that I was right and TOTW is totally an amazing food. At work, if people are having issues with their dogs, I always tell them about the food. And then, they try it and their food issues go away.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I've been using Taste of the Wild for 17 months now. I have two dogs and they’re both on it. When I was first introduced to Taste of the Wild, that was when I have my first dog, my first Cane Corso. And with Cane Corsos, they need a certain percentage of raw meat, liver, bones or organs itself, and Taste of the Wild gave me a step above the normal dog food. I went with this brand because of the raw meat that’s actually mixed in with the food. To have my Cane Corso on a complete raw diet is pretty expensive. So, Taste of the Wild gave me the experience of having the mixture of the chicken with the actual raw food as well. So, I give my dogs a healthier diet.

I use the Absolute Taste of the Wild and I use Diamond as well. That with Diamond, I use a large breed because I have another dog I've just added to the family, which is an American Bully, and she's only 13 weeks. So, I wanted a dog food that my dogs could both eat. Some other dogs can't eat adult dog food, but adult dog can eat puppy food because of the nutrients and protein in it. My dogs pretty much liked the dog food from the start. The only thing is that it altered their bowels for a moment, but everything was pretty normal.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

My daughter has two big dogs and a African-Somali cat. She swears by Taste of the Wild and based on that, I started using it. My cats like it and so do I. I would get it from Sierra Fish & Pets and they've always got the flavors that my cats like. I don't have any problems, except for I got a geriatric cat now and I gotta mix a little bit stock food with it.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have two dogs and they're healthier with Taste of the Wild.

Original review: June 20, 2020

A friend of mine was working at a holistic pet shop. I also noticed that Taste of the Wild's rating was a 4 on a dog food site. My dog's been eating TOTW for quite some time and her health is pretty good. But TOTW needs to be more wildly available in the town, so it’s not hard to find. One of the shops I went to stopped selling it or kept being out-of-stock. When I switched over to a different food or flavor, my dog got sick. But that happens when you change your dog food on them suddenly.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I feed my dog Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream both dry and canned food. She really likes it and it is a healthier food. From the first day I gave her a little and mixed it with previous food to transition her over, she has always liked ithem both.

Original review: June 14, 2020

With my pet store, I was going through the different ingredients and deal on the back of each dog food trying to find one that was good for large breed puppies. Taste of the Wild was not advertised, but it was less expensive and looked better for large breed puppies than the ones that are advertised for them. Our Great Dane loved TOTW. It was amazing for her. I would switch to one flavor and then the next time, the other. She has passed though, and I can’t use TOTW for my husky because he’s allergic to it. He itches, like his paws go nuts and he's constantly chewing. We can’t give him anything that’s grain. We have all this leftover food and we went for it but immediately he started reacting.

Taste of the Wild Company Information