It's that easy Request Information
4.43/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Taste of the Wild provides a wide variety of quality wet & dry food options for dogs & cats. Taste of the Wild understand the importance of feeding quality food to your pets, which is why we are committed to strict quality and safety standards. Contact us today or visit our website to find out more about our products and where you can find them!

1134 Taste of the Wild Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

My golden retriever had stomach issues for over two years. I spent a lot of money at the vet. I changed to this food plus a probiotic called tummy works and for the past few years I haven't had to take my dog to the vet for stomach issues. I see people have complained about the price but from my personal experience it's a lot cheaper than vet bills and I don't spend time cleaning diarrhea off my carpeting. Before I bought TOTW my dog's coat was dull and now it's red and beautiful.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

It's important to me that it smells fresh, contains probiotics and my dogs adjusted easily. I buy it at Pet Warehouse in Mission Viejo. It's a comparable value to Pure Balance Bison and Lamb from Walmart which is also very good but only 24lbs vs. Taste of the Wild "Prairie" at 28lbs and just a few dollars more. They both come in other flavors as well. When I tell people I feed my dogs buffalo, they immediately think I mean Blue Buffalo brand, and I have to correct them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Only 20lb or 22lb bags on the large side. Way too expensive. But our dog loves it and she has stayed leaner. I sometimes have to supplement with other high quality dog food when I cannot find a deal on TOTW.

Taste of the Wild response

Glad she loves Taste of the Wild. The large bag is 28#. Some retailers have a loyalty program, buy 10, get 1 free, so you may whish to see who in your area participates

Original review: April 13, 2019

Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream has been great with both of my English mastiffs. They love the taste and the ingredients are grain free which I prefer to feed them. I go thru about 3 28lb bags a month and it's a good value, you can occasionally find it on sale at Petco.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We have a 4 year old Springer Spaniel. She is adorable and loveable. She has boundless energy and loves to run and play. Since she was a pup, we have tried several brands but chose Taste of the Wild mainly because Reagan like like it, is always ready for mealtime. The ingredients are not harmful to her and the food is readily available at a reasonable competitive price. We can order it through Amazon and it is delivered with in 24 hours to our door.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Taste of the Wild?

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 11, 2019

I have been feeding Bear TOTW dog food for over 5 yrs, he is 6. He recently had a rapid onset of Diabetes and he is blind. This happened very fast. I have been searching for a dog food that is good for diabetes. In doing my search, I have found all these bad reviews about TOTW. I thought it was a good food, now I wonder. I called TOTW to try and get a recommendation for my diabetic dog and to gain some clarification as to these complaints I see. I have had a very hard time finding a food without chicken that is recommended for diabetic dogs. The person connected me to their vet who became very combative and defensive. I was looking for some help, but all I got horrible attitude. Thanks for nothing. Maybe I will join the lawsuit.

Taste of the Wild response

Our primary concern is certainly Bear's well-being. Unfortunately, the phone call you had with us ended before we are able to talk about our recipe in Diamond Care that would be a good fit to help manage Bear's diabetes. We sell a staggering 40,000 bags of Taste of the Wild each day, so rest assured if there was a problem, we would undoubtedly have hundreds, if not thousands, of new posts daily. Our foods are extensively tested for quality and safety before they leave any of our manufacturing facilities. It is a natural inclination to look at the diet when a pet experiences GI issues. Sometimes it can mean that the particular recipe isn't right for the pet, and we may need to look at another recipe. However, in the overwhelming number of cases, the issue is not food related at all.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Taste of the Wild has good ingredients and is listed very favorably. High protein and good fat content contribute to my Beagle being healthy and full of energy. My choice is the High Prairie. My beagle eats 1 cup per day. We avoid table scraps.

Original review: April 10, 2019

My pup has had no problems with this brand, plus we purchased because it’s grain free. We will switch from the puppy formula and stick with Taste of the Wild when she reaches adult. Chewy has it to our home in 2 days.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I’ve home cooked for my 10-year-old German Shepherd ever since she was born, lots of veggies and quality turkey - pork, etc - but I mix it will Taste of the Wild - Sasha has always been incredibly healthy.

Original review: April 8, 2019

All 3 dogs liked it. 2 are very picky eaters. It's got good ingredients and it's grain free. Plus, they never have stomach problems on this food. I fully recommend it. That's all I have to say. Done.

Original review: April 7, 2019

It is grain free. Provides a balance diet. Dog likes it. Dog has not had allergy problem since changing her diet to Taste of the Wild. Chewy.com ships to my door on schedule so I don't run out or have to shop at a reasonable price.

Original review: April 6, 2019

This is an excellent grain free product. However, their supply seems to always be an issue. It's reasonably priced at Petco (14.99 for a 5lb bag) but many vendors such as Happy Feet on 1st avenue in New York overprice the product (25.00 for a 5 lb bag) so they need to do some pricing control with their distributors. I've never seen a recall of the product and my dog has been using their product for 8 years. My dog is a 12 1/2 year old Rottweiler.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I was searching around to see if others were having issues with Taste of the Wild High Prairie for dogs. We opened a new bag in late March and within a day my dog had terrible diarrhea. After a few days I changed him to rice and chicken and pumpkin and started doing better. I went back to the food and it started over again. I changed to a different brand and the diarrhea stopped. I am worried about kidney damage though as he’s been drinking a ton of water for the past couple weeks.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My dog loves it - I buy the Venison and Bison and he eats it up!! No grain and not as expensive as wild blue. I can only get it at one store, Rural King, but there are two within 25 miles, so not too bad...but it would be nice to find it closer!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 2, 2019

My go-to product was Orijen. I had done my homework and research about it for a month before giving it to my dog, however, I stop feeding my dog this brand because of the price range. They recently had a lawsuit claiming high levels of lead in the brand, so I went ahead and contacted the brand. Long story short, they were able to send me all the research labs test and information about the brand lead levels.

Recently I am feeding my dog TOTW salmon, the first bag was ok. I had done some research, and whenever I look up Orijen, TOTW would pop up. So I went ahead and read nice things about the brand. Now I face a problem. My girlfriend small cocker spaniel and my 1-year-old Australian Shepperd are having cases of diarrhea. At first I did not blame the food. I still don't but researching online I started seeing complaints about heavy metals and dogs getting sick, however this does not make me come to any conclusions, so I decided to call the brand and ask if there is any problem with the food.

The service was good but they asked me to trust their word, and they were unable to send me any information about the nutritional facts of the food, nor the studies to prove publicly that their food is within the safe levels of heavy metals, and that is why I am stopping using this brand, today. I do my due diligence to be able to come up with a conclusion, unfortunately the brand was not able to provide any information to defend the claims of the lawsuit and the online reviews.

Taste of the Wild response

Yes several pet food companies are experiencing the same baseless suit. Apologize for not providing the documentation.Please call us back and ask to speak to Product Specialist, Holly. She will be able to provide you with what you need for your due diligence. We also want to make sure we follow up on our satisfaction guarantee

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have a 14 year old Yorkipoo, and an 8 year old Schnoodle. They have always eaten TOTW dry Salmon with no issues. They only eat this food and no table food! I think many people feed their dogs other people food, and they get sick and have other health issues for this reason. My dogs eat less, maintain their weight, have good skin, and a healthy coat with this dog food. Now I do only feed them the dry Salmon, which may make a difference for issues others are having.

Taste of the Wild response

That's great! Your two dogs' breeds are prone to skin issues so are happy they are doing well. Thanks for letting us know

Original review: March 27, 2019

I had six dogs (3 large and 3 small) until my big German Shephard had to be put down due to a neurological issue in his back. He was 13 years old. He and my Golden Retriever weighed over 100 pounds (not fat) and have enjoyed this food for at least 8 years. Now my Scotties are on it, too. Nobody has skin issues. They look forward to breakfast and dinner every day. The salmon flavor is their favorite. I did notice the addition of probiotics to the writing on the bags within the past year. I was concerned that probiotics are not always a good additive but it did not seem to have any effect on my dogs.

Taste of the Wild response

Thanks for the pictures! So glad all is well. As far as probiotics you raise a good question. Ours are trademarked and are derived from a dog, named Frey and a cat, named Tiger. What's so special is that other pet food companies use probiotics derived from cattle. Dogs and cats GI systems are a lot different than cattle. Furthermore we add the probiotics after the cooking process so as to not kill them. We guarantee that there will be a minimum of 80 million colony forming units thru out the life of the food

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 22, 2019

My dog has been on the TOTW Prairie bag diet for the 5th bag. Everything was going fine until we bought another bag, and she would puke every time after she would eat within a 5-10 minutes of eating. I went to the Vet and did a lot of different tests and scans, all coming back fine. He suggested I change her food, which I did to a cooked chicken / rice diet. All of her symptoms were gone, I tried giving her the TOTW bag food again, once again puke within 15 minutes. I threw away the bag right away, and bought a generic Member's Mark chicken / brown rice bag. Within 1 day, all of her symptoms were gone. No more puking, no more issues. VERY VERY disappointed with Taste of the Wild as I had only read good things about this company. Quality assurance is clearly not being done right as all of the bags are not the same. The TOWT food was bought from Petco.

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear about the regurgitation issue, I assume the food was coming back up undigested? With it coming back up so quickly I wonder if there may be a motility problem in the esophagus. Often bland food, like the chicken and rice you prepared, is tolerated because swallowing it can be accomplished easily since a lot of dogs don't even chew it compared to hard kibble

Original review: March 21, 2019

I bought new bag of TOTW Sierra Mountain for my rough collies yesterday. So far, they've done fine on the food, but the new bag definitely smells off, sort of like chemicals. The last bag had more of a meaty smell. It'll be a 4 1/2 hour round trip to take it back, but the dogs are family and I'm concerned. Has anyone else notice this?

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear about the smell of the food. We are happy to refund you, don't make the drive. Most importantly we want you and the dogs to be happy. Please call us and ask for Product Specialist Holly

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 16, 2019

We have been giving our 2 cats TOTW for about 4 years. Both cats have started vomiting. I had just opened a new bag of this food. I'm returning this bag and will be buying a different brand. Fortunately, both cats have vet appointments in 3 days. I'm researching alternative dry foods.

Taste of the Wild response

Hope the cats are fine. We are sorry that we didn't hear back from you. Please feel free to call us so we can follow through on our satisfaction guarantee

Resolution response: April 11, 2019

Taste of the Wild worked with me and tested the dog food batch at their facility. They found no issues. I am still working with my vet to correct the stool issues.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have been using Taste of the Wild High Prairie for four years. My dogs are ages 1.5 and 5.5 years. My younger dog started having black and runny stool 10 days ago. My other dog stopped eating his food 2 days ago. Yesterday I noticed he was straining trying to empty his bowels. No luck. The younger started laying 5 feet from her bowl but wouldn't eat. When I started putting the picture together I went into the kitchen and fried a pound of ground beef and mixed it with rice. They inhaled it. For the time being I am making the same recipe with chicken and putting sweet potatoes in both. When I returned home this afternoon my older dog laid by his food bowl and had his paws on either side and looked at me. I knew what he was telling me.

One important piece of information is this was the first 28# bag I have purchased since they eliminated the 30# bag and lowered their price just a tad. I gave a 3 star neutral rating because while I believe it is the dog food you can't be certain. I am returning the bag. But saving a cup for testing. I wish you all the best in taking care of your pets. They are my world and can't imagine losing them prematurely.

Taste of the Wild response

Becca,thanks so much for helping us investigate the batch! We are glad both your furbabies are now well

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 13, 2019

My dogs have been eating TOTW for years with no adverse conditions. I received a new bag and suddenly one dog was vomiting and had diarrhea. I stopped feeding any of the dry food and switched to cooking chicken, rice, veggies, per vet recommendation. Did this for several weeks, dog recovered, switched back to TOTW. Within days my other dog got so sick we had to go to ER vet. She had inflamed intestinal walls and pancreatitis. She's at home recovering now and I will be making her food from now on.

Taste of the Wild response

We are sorry we didn't hear back from you. I imagine yur veterinarian explained that the overwhelming majority of pancreatitis cases are idiopathic, meaning the cause is unknown. One known cause is getting into the trash and consuming a high fat meal-turkey skin, ham etc. Our food contains the same amount of fat as other kibble available on the market

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 11, 2019

I am absolutely sick to my stomach over the recent lawsuit about TOTW having more lead content in it than the homes in Flint MI. **. Last year, my previously healthy 2 year, 2 mo old St Bernard succumbed after 3 weeks at the vet getting tested & treated, and my vet bill was over $17K. I am drowning in bills and even worse lost my beloved dog. I will be joining this class action lawsuit.

Taste of the Wild response

So sorry for your loss. Was the diagnosis actually lead poisoning? If so,please know that lead is a heavy metal that is present in metallic, inorganic, and organic forms. Metallic lead is present in firearm ammunition, plumbing hardware, soldering flux, fishing and curtain weights, automotive batteries and wheel weights, radiography shielding, decorative moldings, stained glass, etc. Inorganic lead salts are present in a wide range of products, such as paint pigments, ceramic glazes, plastic stabilizers, industrial effluents, linoleum components, and caulking compounds. In the litigious society, in which we live, anyone can file a lawsuit against anyone, and that's what happened to us. The plaintiff has provided nothing to substantiate their claim, while we have lab results that show there is non-detectable levels of lead and other heavy metals. We are waiting for the judicial system to work, unfortunately that takes time. We are not the only pet food company targeted. Champion Foods recently had their suit, filed in 2018 dismissed. https://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/7875-heavy-metal-lawsuit-against-champion-petfoods-dismissed. We work with a nationally recognized,independent testing facility that holds the ISO 17025 certification as well as biological and chemical A2LA certifications. The facility conducted tests on our food to check the levels of arsenic, mercury, cadmium and lead. The tests showed “not-detectable” levels for the metals tested.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I have a 8 month old German Pit. I got her when she was 4 months old and she had worms and a very sensitive stomach. I had her on Rachel Ray zero grain and it didn't upset her stomach but she wasn't growing any and wouldn't really eat as much as she should. I switched her to the Bison recipe and she's now eating like she's supposed too and has gained 5-10 lbs since I switched over and is plump and happy now. The only complaint I have is that she will get terrible gas from time to time. Any advice to fix this would greatly appreciated.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 7, 2019

I have had both my 5- year old English Cream Golden and my 4-year old Sheep Dog on Taste of the Wild Dog Food their ENTIRE lives. Yesterday my golden had to undergo a $1300 bladder stone removal surgery after $600 in testing, and my 4-year old Sheep Dog just today was diagnosed with Full Kidney Failure and she may be put down tomorrow. My vet is blaming poor dog food (TOTW) for both problems. The worst part is that I thought I was feeding my dogs a quality food when I chose TOTW. Run consumers run!

Taste of the Wild response

Jennifer, thank you for helping us decipher what happened. What a horrible "perfect storm" for both your dogs' and your health.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have been feeding my two 7 yr old very sensitive white Boxers this kibble for the past 5 yrs with excellent results in overall health, no allergy issues such as skin, nails, coat, stomach. I do have to say that it is only the Pacific Stream formula that has accomplished these results. I discovered after many trials of isolating various food ingredients that our Boxers are allergic to poultry. Prior to switching to TOTW Pacific Stream brand, I was feeding them both Orijen or Acana brand in the initial 2 yrs of life and did find that my dogs did develop skin allergies with the poultry even in this superior quality kibble.

Once I switched them back to Orijen or Acana Fish ingredient the allergies stopped. However for financial reasons I needed to researched other "brands" comparable the the above mentioned without sacrificing my pets health and found the ingredients in TOTW to be the most comparable and reasonable to that of Orijen or Acana. I wished it possible to upload a photo of how strong and healthy they are since a picture is worth a thousand words! Proud White Boxer Mom from Florida.

Taste of the Wild response

Beautiful dogs! Thanks for posting their picture (and of you too). Pacific Stream has helped so many dogs. Our recipe contains more omegas than most other salmon based dog food out there and it does seem to make a difference

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I recently purchased several cans of the canned food and one can was sealed tight. However when I opened the container I found it to be only half full. Lot no is

59xym2-1242 exp. Date Jul 2021. I purchased the cans from Orscheln in Eldon MO.

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for providing the identifying batch. We will investigate.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have had both my labs on TOTW for years now. In the most recent 6 months, the gas being produced by my labs is intolerable. I just took one of my labs to a vet visit last Saturday and she said it could be a change in the recipe of the brand. I am not a happy camper with the changes and my dogs are not eating as well as they were before. They don't get table scraps additional food outside of their kibble. Reading other reviews, CLEARLY there has been some kind of change. I will be switching them to another brand before my dogs end up in ER for gastrointestinal issues or worse.

Taste of the Wild response

Sorry to hear about the gas issue. We have not changed the recipes. For dogs with flatulence, a recipe with fewer protein sources is best. This would be Pacific Stream. A recipe like High Prairie isn't recommended for gassy dogs since it has seven different protein sources, which then must be broken down by the gut.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My cats loved eating this food so I bought it until I started seeing illness in some adults and kittens. One 10 month old kitten suffered from what seemed like Inflammatory Bowel Disease symptoms which we (my vets and myself) could not cure, and she died (a piece of my heart went with her from this terrible death). An adult mother cat stopped suddenly nursing her 4 month old kittens crying and crying for unknown reasons. She looked swollen but no vets nor myself could figure out why. Nothing worked to solve this swelling problem (not antibiotics, not deworming). After the 10 month old kitten died and this swollen mother cat seemed ill, I changed this dry food. I replaced it with one that I had used before without problems of this sort. The swelling in the mother cat went away and she is doing great now. I cannot in all honesty recommend this food.

Taste of the Wild response

Linda, thanks for sharing that all your vets were perplexed. Your thought of inflammatory bowel disease progressing into autoimmune destruction of the digestive lining, like Crohn's disease, in the 10 month old, may very well been what happened. So glad momma cat has returned to her show condition after the food hypersensitivity was resolved

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My dogs have been eating this food since June 4, 2019. My female dog is 5 and was recently diagnosed with ADVANCED DCM and a heart murmur. I had no idea the FDA was investigating Limited Ingredient and Grain Free foods until this happened. The cardiologist told me she has so many cases of this. Look up FDA/Grain free, Tufts University and grain free, CVCA website - grain free - I now belong to a group on FB for DCM and there are MANY people who have fed this dog food to their dogs and are suffering the same fate for their family. I will be testing my other dog as well. They often do not show symptoms. If your dog has been eating this or other grain free food get them tested. Some cases can be turned around with nutrition and meds. The company is taking NO responsibility.

Taste of the Wild response
We are so sorry to hear of the DCM diagnosis. Please know, that while the FDA is studying any potential connection between grain-free diets and DCM, no direct links have been made. We are continuing to monitor updated research results from the FDA and researchers and are working with the FDA because our top priority is to provide all pets with quality, safe food that meets all federal and state regulatory guidelines.DCM is much more common in large dogs (greater than 50 pounds) than small dogs.
• According to Dr. John Rush, a veterinary cardiologist, certain breeds such as Great Danes, German shepherds, Irish wolfhounds, Newfoundlands and St. Bernards are at risk, while boxers and Doberman Pinschers are predisposed to the disease. In addition to the above breeds, Cocker spaniels and Portuguese water dogs may also develop forms of the disease.
• In recent research published by Dr. Joshua Stern, DCM in golden retrievers was often associated with taurine deficiency.

• According to Tufts University’s Petfoodology blog, 10 to 15% of dogs will develop some form of heart disease in their lives. Dr. Rush has indicated DCM as the second most common cause of congestive heart failure in dogs

Taste of the Wild expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Taste of the Wild makes pet food for cats and dogs. All of its pet food products are grain free and include a range of ingredients, including meats, fruits, vegetables, antioxidants, chelated minerals and probiotics. Taste of the Wild focuses on producing nutritionally balanced pet food products that help support and enhance pet health.

• Focus on nutrition: Taste of the Wild enlists the help of veterinarians and other pet care professionals in developing nutritionally sound pet food products.

• Guaranteed probiotics: Every pet food formula contains guaranteed probiotics intended to aid digestion and support a healthy immune system.

• Real meats: Many Taste of the Wild pet food formulas contain real meats and fish, such as lamb, venison, bison, trout and salmon.

• Purified water: All of Taste of the Wild's dry pet foods are made using water purified using reverse osmosis in order to remove pathogens and potentially harmful chemicals.

• Ancestral-style diet: The company produces pet foods similar to the diet cats' and dogs' ancestors once ate, giving each pet formula a blend of tastes and varied nutritional profiles.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Taste of the Wild Company Information