Find a Pet Stores partner

Lynbrook, NY

4.0/5 (268 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Shake A Paw Puppies

For the last 30 years, Shake A Paw has provided the best products and the most extensive selection of puppies to over 30,000 families. Shake a Paw’s pet consultants work seven days a week to help you with any questions or concerns you may have about your new puppy. We have two locations in New York: Hicksville and Lynbrook, that also carry supplies, accessories, food, crates, toys and more. Visit our website today to learn more!

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Shake A Paw Puppies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shake A Paw Puppies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shake A Paw Puppies?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2009

I purchased my Boxer dog at Shake A Paw in Hicksville 6 years ago. The dog had kennel cough and worms which was very costly. On Christmas eve 2 years later, my dog had seizures. It took one year to get them under control to maybe several times a year. What a great dog he was but he was sick all of his life. Rocky lost his battle on 11/3/09 by having seizures every couple of hours over a 24-hr. period. Rocky was on pheno and potassium bromide which was very costly but my son grew up with him and we all loved him. It is terrible that I hear one story after another about this pet store. I think they obtain the dogs from puppy mills. Rocky came from Michigan. I think this place makes a fortune misleading its customers and sells very sick animals that are not properly cared for.

My son cries every day for Rocky. I will never buy a dog from a pet store; they all are supporting the puppy mills. Rocky turned 6 in September. What a short life. I spent close to 10,000 on Rocky for vet bills, neurologist, medications he needed to take every day of his life. The cost of his meds were $90 per month. I can not put a price on my 8 year old sons heartache of losing his best friend.

Original review: June 10, 2009

I agree with every single person who is complaining about Shake a Paw. I cannot stand that store, I feel bad for the people who buy puppies from that store. You are wasting your money. Only purchase your puppies from a breeder. If you do not want to listen to me, and you go to Shake a Paw, look where the dog came from, research. States like Missouri, Louisiana, Georgia, etc. All have puppy mills. Every single person I have talked to that got their puppy from SAP died, maybe not by euthanasia, but from dying in their own household. Every store should be shut down.

Original review: May 30, 2009

Please don't ever buy a dog from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook or any other location! We purchased a three-month-old purebred English Bulldog puppy (or so they say pure bred) from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook in April of 2008. The total cost quoted for her was $2600; however total actual cost came to over $3000.

Long story short, the puppy came from Oklahoma most likely from a puppy mill. The salesperson said she was AKA certified, not AKC. I am not a dog expert but I have never heard of the AKA. Also, she does not have the features of your standard English Bulldog (she has less wrinkles, is a little scrawny). I was assured that the owner of Shake A Paw has two dogs of his own from this specific breeder. At about 13 months old, the dog developed epilepsy. She now experiences very violent seizures and cluster episodes every few weeks. We have brought her to numerous vets and emergency facilities to treat the disorder. One night she had 30 seizures in a 16-hour period. We have spent a total of over $5000 out of pocket (excluding the cost of the dog) in vet bills.

When I brought all the evidence to Shake A Paw and explained that they had sold us a sick dog, the manager basically told me there was nothing he could do but give us a replacement dog if she dies. I've contemplated putting the dog to sleep but we are too attached to her. Now, because of her idiopathic epilepsy, she will be on at least two medications daily for the rest of her life. The dog is not even a year and a half old. Never buy a dog from Shake A Paw, no matter how cute!

Original review: May 2, 2009

I bought a black Cockapoo from Shake A Paw 3 yrs ago, or that’s what I thought. My family has owned 3 other Cockapoos before and she looks like none of them! The day I got her she was on a cold floor in a little box with a bulldog puppy nipping at her ears (which were all infected a week later). I took her in the room with me and she just gave me a look like get me out of here! That was all it took. 10min later we were on our way home. Olive is now 3yrs old and has a lot of issues - she is scared of people, always has her tail down, and pees and lets out a loud yelp anytime someone touches her! It is so sad! Although she is great with me and my husband and we love her to death, I blame Shake A Paw. I know she is from a puppy mill and I am so glad their stores are closed! That just proved something wasn’t right with their stores!

Original review: April 20, 2009

I have been searching for the perfect puppy for over 2 years and I found him at Shake A Paw. I had gone to other stores in search of a puppy but always came back to Shake A Paw for many reasons. We visited both stores many times over the past 2 years to look for a miniature schnauzer puppy. Each time we went in, we were treated well, were given the opportunity to play with the puppy alone and were given advice concerning allergies we may have. They even suggested isolating us with our puppy outside to test our allergies! Both stores are clean and offer state-of-the-art facilities for the puppies and customers, too. They have a huge selection of accessories, too. Everyone was patient with us during our search. We were given an excellent price and finally got a happy and healthy puppy 2 months ago. He is intelligent and loving. I had a wonderful experience and would recommend them to anyone who wants a puppy.

Original review: March 22, 2009

I am a black woman who came to Shake a Paw in Lynbrook on Saturday, March 21 to look at some puppy German Shepherds. Minutes after my arrival, the cleaning people who were latino (South America origin ironically) I guess acted as Security rushed to the back door as if I was some robber trying to escape the establishment with stolen puppies. Before my arrival, there were plenty of white customers and no one was guarding the back door. It was so obvious. I did nothing to cause such behavior, outside of the fact that my skin color is black. I am so disgusted and I will never ever go there again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2009

My girlfriend, three kids and I purchased an English Bulldog from Shake A Paw on election day, Nov 7th, 2008 for approx. $3000. We named her Coco and took her for all her necessary shots and vet visits. We grew to love her as a part of our family. On Inaugural day, approx. 79 days later, our puppy dropped dead right in front of me. Emergency vet said possible seizure or burst blood vessel in the lungs, possibly congenital. The vet also mentioned getting many unhealthy puppies from Shake A Paw. I would also like to note I have a healthy five-year-old Bulldog purchased somewhere else that resides in our home and lives in the same environment our Coco did before passing. We purchased from Shake A Paw understanding they had a great warranty in case of health problems.

When we brought the paperwork to Shake A Paw and explained our situation, expecting to bring home a new puppy (who could never fix the hurt we have been through but possibly quicken the recovery time), we were told there was no proof it was congenital and they could do nothing for us. That was another heartbreaking experience. I rushed to cancel the cremation of our puppy in case an autopsy is needed. I am waiting to hear from my vet since she is out of the office to see if we can prove it's congenital. Aren't there lemon laws concerning the life of the puppy? Do I have any rights to fight this further? We just bought a house and are struggling to get by as it is and cannot afford another Bulldog. Yet I know that is the only thing that would make my family a little happier right now. Please give me any information you have on this, and any other complaints against Shake A Paw. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2009

I purchased an English bulldog puppy mid December. I won't go into detail about what happened to her but upon having her in my home for 8 hours I could tell she had kennel cough which turned into pneumonia. My question is simple. Being contagious diseases it is obvious these dogs are all sick. Why do they not show symptoms in the store? Unfortunately the only explanation is these dogs are being drugged daily to mask the symptoms. I pray every day this place gets shut down. My $3,000 puppy has become a $6,000 puppy in a month's time! Store's answer: why wouldn't you bring him to our vet? It would have been free! Needless to say the reason I wouldn't bring my puppy to their vet is quite obvious.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

We purchased a cockapoo on December 24, 2008. In our contract it states to take your pet to a licensed veterinarian which we did. That visit was on December 29, 2008. At that time they diagnose her with a hernia, trick knee and came up positive for Giardia parasite which is contagious to both animals and humans. We called the store to inform them of the findings. The store manager James (refused to give his last name) told my wife that the dog is guaranteed for five years only if we go the their vets. In the contract it states nowhere that we should/must use their Vets. When my wife said what can I do after five years James stated "I will give you a new dog". Then my wife asked, "What should I do with this dog" and he replied "I don't care what you do with her".

It is hard to believe that a store manager for a pet store is so cold and insensitive to animals. My daughter who is 18 years old spent $1,000.00, her hard earned money only to be upset about the health of her new pet. This pet will need surgery for her hernia in the near future and currently is on medication to treat her parasite. As far as her trick knees, we will have to wait. The breeders name is Emanual ** from Seymour, MO 65746. Please be careful when purchasing from here. James is very nice when you're looking to buy but could care less once the purchase is complete.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2008

My family purchased a puppy for our children for Christmas. Within 20 hours of purchase, we were at the vet and then the animal hospital. Two days later, the puppy died. We were crying and very sad. The puppy had Parvovirus. We looked up the breeder, Jessica **, and found out that she runs a puppy mill in Missouri, and there are many complaints against her. Yet Shake A Paw continues to do business with her. They stated they have worked with her for 4 years. Shake A Paw instructed us to throw out everything the puppy slept on or touched, as Parvo is highly contagious and fatal to many animals. So we did. We returned all of the unused products. At this point, they told us that they would not refund all of the accessories for the dog, which totaled over $500! When I started to cry at the store, Mark took me outside and proceeded to have a tantrum and yell at me as if I had done something wrong. I felt threatened and walked away.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2008

My boyfriend and I have been to shake a paw in lynbrook numerous times and last week we decided to purchase a boxer.While I was at work my boyfriend went to the store to purchase te boxer without me. She was 5 month old boxer we called roxy she was kinda skinny but jeff assured us it was just normal. The dog was on sale for 850 and he gave my boyfriend a deal of 850 but after all these ludacris charges came out to a little shy of 1000 dollars

when I cam home to my new puppy i noticed she looked skinnier within in a couple hours she started vomiting and ******* blood then a gag then looked like dry heaves in human terms. As soon as my boyfriend paid thats when he said they started saying all the medications the dog was one the poor dog was miserabllleee!!!!

we ended up having to take her to a animal hospital in westbury,long island in the middle of the nite the vet was soo nice after seeing the dog she notified us that the dog was VERRYY sick and that if we were to keep her it woulld cost us thousands in medical bills she said the dog was extremley skinny extremley dehydrated a bacteria infection due to the boold in her fecal matter bad case of kennel cough etc. But most of all she believed that roxy had parvo which is an illness that 98% live so we were heart broken and very upset by the fact that they had sold us a sickdog...no wonder she was on sale

unfortunatley if i was more finacialy stable I would of loved to keep her but we decided we would have to give her back the vet issued us a form of unfitness that way we would get our money back which was the least of the worries at the time. My boyfriend and i arrived at the time they opened to be greeted by the very unproffesional and rude mananger Tashi letting us know we would be reiumbiursed in 10 business days by check meanhwile my boyfriend had paid cash.

Unfortunatly we had to call the police to help us settle the matter because my boyfriend was very upset the manager himself said that jeff the salesman are in no way qualified about dogs there pure salesman no knowledge whatsoever about our roxys health conditions.I will NEVER EVER go to shake a paw again horrible service and sick dogs and to put the cherry on top of our story our new puppy that lasted us a couple hours was put back for sale.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2008

Shake a Paw is not only terrible for dogs, but for rabbits as well. I bought my 2 month old (sup. a flop, who knows) bunny and I was obsessed with him. He was so adorable and was doing great. My boyfriend works nights, so he was perfect and I could come home to him every night. He was so soft and fluffy and happy. About 5 days after I got him, I noticed he stopped *******. I called the vet the following day and went in the next day.

After a vet ($87), an emergency vet ($257), and a super rabbit vet ($398, so far), I found my rabbit to have GI Statis. It's a condition that clogs up the rabbits intense. He is currently in the ICU and it doesn't look good. I am so miserable. I bonded with this amazing, personable bunny. When I called Shake a Paw to complain, they said they would give me a new one and I could give them the sick one back. Ohhh, okay, so I would give them the sick bunny back and they would toss him...or try to re-sell him?

NO ONE there knew what they were talking about. My vet even called to complain. What are these people thinking? I am sorry, but I am an animal lover, not hater and I just don't toss out a 2 month old bunny and get a new one. My vet also said she has seen multiple animals come out of shake a paw with major problems. If my bunny dies, which would make me MISERABLE, I am going after Shake A Paw BIG TIME.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2008

I purchased 2 shitzu puppies from shake a paw for $1850.00. I brought them to the vet the following day where both dogs have severe parasites. As a matter of fact they had more then one. One of the puppies also had a cold. Shake a Paw didnt want to know NOTHING. They send you to there vet and say its free for the first visit and shots. THEY LIE - $200 later NOTHING was free. BUYERS BEWARE.

These puppies are very unhealthy, they may look adorable, but are not taken care of. Also 1 of the puppies i purched was ONLY 2 MOTHS OLD. PUPPIES SHOULD BE WITH THERE MOM UNTIL 3 MONTHS OLD! These puppies come from puppy mills! PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN PURCHASING FROM SHAKE A PAW. They rip you off for sick puppies! Both puppies are on meds and have to be far away from my other dogs in the house.

Original review: July 25, 2008

Chocolate Lab was diagnosed with hip dysplasia when nutuered at 4 months of age and all that was offered was a new puppy and or half of the purchase price if we were to opt for the six thousand dollar surgery.

The lab is lame and is not a normal functioning dog.

Original review: June 14, 2008

I just wanted to say that my friend purchased a beautiful Malamute about two years ago from Shake A Paw in Lynbrook from the owner himself. At the time of purchase the Malamute had already been there for over 6 months and was getting bigger and had to be moved to a bigger cage. The owner and staff at Shake A Paw care so much for their dogs that they make every effort no matter how old a dog gets or its size to find each dog a happy home.

When my friend came in to look at this beautiful dog the owner enthusiastically offered my friend a discount so that she could bring him into a loving home. Every time that I have been into Shake A Paw I have seen the owner and all of the staff members treat each dog and puppy there with the utmost kindness and concern for their well being. The store is immaculate and each cage is in pristine condition.

Yes, sometime dogs do get sick or get kennel cough but Shake A Paw gives a warranty on each dog they give a home to. You most certainly are taking a chance that a dog could get very ill if not cared for properly and that is why they have health insurance..I purchase it the second I picked up my dog and have used it several times in the past 3 years. Of course some Vets are going to tell you that the dog should not have been for sale but think about it....they are about to give you their bill...they don't want you anger directed towards them...hmmm...makes sense right...Stop trying to pass blame on something that the store has no control over...they oversee and make sure that EVERY PUPPY that they recieve is in the best possible care. Remember the owner of this business is first and foremost an animal lover. Please just know what you are getting into and fully understand the instructions before you purchase a puppy....

Original review: May 12, 2008

I purchased an 8 week-old Goldendoodle from Shake A Paw in Hicksville last week and so far they have been professional and very forthcoming about what is necessary for owning a new puppy. The documentation they provided to us prior to the purchase described, in detail, that 50% of their dogs get Kennel Cough (no surprise) and that it can turn to pneumonia very quickly, which it did.

The puppy was sneezing after a few days at home and she's in the Animal Hospital right now [Kennel Cough is normal for dogs kept in a kennel, people] getting her treatments for early onset of pneumonia. It's sad to be without her but she's getting the proper treatment and Shake A Paw is covering all health care costs directly with the hospital. The Vet also told me that in over a year, they have never had one sick puppy that Shake A Paw didn't completely pay for [aside of stool sample ($30) and compounding the medication ($20) if she can't swallow pills. Those amounts were explicitly explained to me numerous times at the time of purchase]. I do recommend the West Hills Animal Hospital in Huntington if you can choose a Vet. They have been great so far, much better than the Vet we saw in Hauppauge Animal Hospital.

Nothing. They've done a good job overall.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2008

I purchased a teacup Yorkie there in 12/0 for $1100. When I got her home, all she did was sleep. The vet they recommended said she was fine. By the weekend I knew something was wrong and brought her to our regular vet. She was diagnosed with severe kennel cough; she she infected my other dogs. I had to hospitalize my 13 year old Yorkie, and she almost died. The fee for her was $1000. My vet said the puppy was unfit for sale, but Shake a Paw would do nothing. The dog subsequently needed both rear legs operated on for a total of $6000 and now can hardly walk (crippled), and she is only 3. She weighs over 10 pounds and is large. She is not a teacup Yorkie.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2008

I just want to say that I work at Shake A Paw and that we do get the best puppies available to us. We are very picky in choosing the puppies that enter our store. Everyone who wrote on here writes about bad experiences when in fact there are many more people who have had good experiences. I would just like to start by stating the facts that you are taking a chance by getting a puppy anywhere, any puppy from any place can get sick. There are many things you can do to prevent it but sometimes it is unpreventable. Puppies that come from breeders get sick too, only most of the time they will not reimburse you for any medical bills. If your child gets a cold do you blame the hospital? No, of course not because living things can get sick. I am an animal lover and I love my job. We love our puppies and we make sure that they are as healthy and happy as possible. We also make sure that your new family member fits your lifestyle unlike other places or breeders. I have personally bought two dogs from Shake A Paw and have not had any problems.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2007

I purchased a puppy from the Hicksville Shake A Paw on a whim.... He is an adorable black Maltese/Yorkie mix. After deciding on taking him home for $1400, the women took me around the store and grabbed everything I HAD TO buy that the dog NEEDED. My bill ended up being $2100. I walked out the door with an adorable dog and ton of anxiety. I later found out I didn't need (or use) 80% of what she gave me. She actually gave me (4) different vitamins that my dog NEEDED, whereas I was instructed by the vet that he needed one vitamin and the rest was unnecessary. Within 2 days my dog had Kennel Cough. I was given antibiotic (which was supposed to be covered by Shake a Paw), but because of his small size, they needed to compound the medicine which cost about $30. I then found out after testing his stool that he had a parasite. Within 2 days I was taking home antibiotics and dishing out $57.00 for them. He hasn't gotten better.

To top it off, he now has fleas. I have a 3 year old son, and this is the last thing I expected when bringing home an adorable puppy. I will never go back to Shake a Paw, and after reading all of these comments, I probably never should have in the first place.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2006

I purchased a beagle from this pet store on 9/20/2006 and he has been sick since day one. He was diagnosed as unfit for sale on 9/30/2006 by the vet recommended by the pet store, Central Monmouth Animal Hospital. I contacted Shake A Paw and they would not take the puppy back. They sent me a credit to reimburse me for some of the vet bills. I told them at that time I was not interested in a store credit I wanted to be reimbursed for the puppy. Since this time the beagle has been diagnosed with involuntary head bobbing caused by an infection at birth. On going skin problems dermatits and ear infections since birth. His head has never fully devoloped and his mouth is deformed causing his tongue to hang out of his mouth all the time.

Vet bills and medications so far have cost me over $1057.10. My vet Route 516 Animal Hospital can no longer treat the skin condition and has recommended a specialist. The first visit to the specialist will be over $300.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2006

I have told my story regarding Sophie, a sweet little Cocker Spaniel purchased at Shake a Paw of Tom's River. She endured several months of treatment for pneumonia which she acquired at the pet store. We spent about $8,000 for her treatment and thankfully, she survived. The pet store was notified,by certified mail, before they went out of business. We also sent certified mail to the Household Pet Protection insurance company that was on our contract to guarantee Vet bills up to the purchase price of the puppy or $1,000 which ever is less. We never heard back from either one of them, and when I called Shake a Paw, the store was closed.

I called the insurance company which advised me that they had no record our the contract, and they had numerous people calling regarding reimbursement. The woman told me that Shake a Paw never had money in their account to reimburse their customers as stated in the contract. She essentially said we were out of luck and would have to sue. I know that I will never recoup all of the money we spent to save Sophie's life, but shouldn't the company be held to the contract?

The economic damage was huge, as stated. We spent $8,000 to save the life of a $900 puppy. But our only alternative was to let her die. We couldn't do that and felt she deserved the chance to live. We also feel we are at least owed what the contract states.

Original review: June 15, 2006

I’d like to say I’m a complete dog lover to its fullest. I enjoy going at least twice a month to Shake-A-Paw just to give 2 or 3 puppies 15 minutes of play time after spending all that time in their cages. Yesterday, I went to Shake-A-Paw (in Green Brook) to do just that. When I walked in, I was almost knocked off my feet. The smell was horrendous. The couple with their children seemed to feel the same way by the expression on their faces after they walked in also. I proceeded to take out a dog and have play time with them. It was around 8:45 p.m. and it seemed as if each employee you had there had a friend hanging out with them in the store. They weren’t paying attention to their customers at all.

I must have held one puppy for a good 5 minutes outside the room until someone came to my attention to put the dog back into the cage. After that, some lady came in with a rather large dog that she let free to walk around the store. That made the puppies get a little riled up and caused them ALL to bark, like any other normal dog would do. But, your employees seemed to get a little frustrated and started pounding on their glass windows telling them to, “Shut up” in front of me, the people I was with, and another family who had their children with them. The other family quickly grabbed their children and exited the store.

There was fecal matter all over the floor so you had to watch where you stepped. The cages were full of feces and every dog seemed to be laying in it with it matted in its fur. I was fed up enough, I had to leave the store. When I walked outside, I said a few choice words about the way those dogs were being cared for, when I heard one of your employees (who seemed to be on a cigarette break) have a few choice of curse words to say to me behind my back.

Today, I told my mother about the situation and she decided to go see for herself what I was talking about. She also said the smell was horrendous and that all the employees seemed to be teenagers. She noticed one dog laying in a puddle of it’s own feces that had blood and mucus in it. When that usually happens, it most likely means the dog has Parvo, a disease in which normally leads to the dog dying. Which would also mean every other dog in your store has it too. She addressed one of the employees of the situation and the girl seemed to brush it off and say there was nothing wrong with the dog, that the vet was there this morning.

My mother proceeded to look around at the dogs when one of your employees started cleaning a cage (with the dog in it) with a mop. I’m guessing the dog, being a puppy, started biting at the mop when he deliberately hit the dog with the mop which caused it to yelp. I, myself, do work for People-4-Animals and I also rescue dogs. I have 4 rescued dogs of my own, one of them happen to be from your store. A few years back, we purchased a Lab from your store that had Kennel Cough. Whoever sold us the dog, sold it to us at the cheapest price because it was sick and was most likely to die. Every vet we went to told us the best thing to do would be to put the dog to sleep. We didn’t. We nursed her back to health and she’s going on 6 years now.

I called the ASPCA and they assured me they'd send an officer over to investigate.

Original review: May 15, 2006

I purchased a female boxer puppy on 12-14-05.I then took my puppy for her first vet visit on 12-17-05.On that visit she got her first round of shots and i had to give a stool sample.On 12-19-05 the vet called and asked me to come in for the results.the vet had informed me that she had (coccidia) a parasite.The vet explained to me that it is not life threatening and can be treated with medication.

A day later I noticed she was hacking and coughing up clear fluid.On 12-21-05 I took her back to the vet and now he informed me that she had tracheobronchitis and marked her unfit for purchase.The vet again prescribed more medication and let her go home. The next day there was a severe change for the worst. That night I shook her and had no response. Finally after repeatedly shaking her I got her to open her eyes.I was heart-broken.I stayed up with her all night with the fear that she may die.

First thing in the morning I took her back to the vet. He then informed me that a severe case of pneumonia.He said that I could return my puppy to shake a paw and have them do the treatments or I could take her home and do them myself. I told him that I don't trust that shake a paw would take good care of her in their shop, so I decided to take her home.The vet said that she may not make it. Again marked her unfit for sale.

I have a signed waranty contract from shake a paw that guarantees my puppy for ninety days.That guarantee states that I would receive reimbursement for reasonable vet bills up to the cost of the dog or one thousand dollars which ever is less. I paid 1,299.00 for my puppy. After the sixty days I submitted all my vet bills to the warranty company as it states in the contract.The warranty papers say that it would take up to six to eight weeks for reimbursement. I waited the eight weeks with no response.

Finally I called the waranty company and they said that shake a paw never sent them a copy of my contract and that I should go to shake a paw and speak to them. I called shake a paw and the number was disconnected, so I drove down there.Upon pulling up to shake a paw I noticed that the building was empty and closed down.They also never sent my AKC registration papers.I am glad to say my puppy is fine now, but now I can't register her and I'm out all of my vet bills.

You put trust in a contract only to find out its just a piece of paper if you cant find the people.

Im out my AKC registration papers and $242.00 in vet bills.

Original review: May 10, 2006

I purchased a puppy on 01/12/2006 and within two weeks my puppy was hospitalized for 8 days 1500.00 in bills later I was told by the warranty company that yes they recived my claim and that I should give them 60 days. I did that then I call in May and was advised that They are no longer paying out claims for shake a paw due to them not sending in our paperwork. I was advised to contact them which I did and they have shut down there store and disconnected there phone. I am out a lot of money and plan to sue.

Original review: May 1, 2006

I purchased a puppy from Shake a Paw of Toms River, a sweet little Cocker Spaniel, Sophie. Within 5 days of purchase, we took her to the vet for her immunizations. The next day she woke with a crouping cough. I called the vet who prescribed Clavamox. She progressively got worse over the next few days, and saw the vet every day for the next three days. By the fourth day, she was in the hospital with pneumonia. The vet said it was the worst case of puppy pneumonia she had ever seen.

It was touch and go. Sophie was in the hospital for 3 weeks in isolation. I cried every day, as we had just lost our two 15 year old cockers. We thought Sophie would help us get over that. Sophie endured hydration with intravenous therapy, two bronchial washings, intravenous antibiotics, numerous chest x-rays at the age of 3 months. We received an Unifit for sale certificate from our vet, as well as the veterinary specialists at the hospital.

We called shake-a-paw to tell them of the severity of her illness, and the contagious nature of her disease. They said, o.k., just send the bill to our insurance company. A total disregard for the other pups or Sophie. Sophie survived, but required follow up every two weeks for a chest x-ray and remained on antibiotics for another six weeks. The total bill for Sophie was about $8,000. We have sent them certified mail with a detailed, itemized bill for Sophie, as well as to their insurance company. We have not heard from them other than to get the green card back that they received the mail.

Now, I hear they just went out of business, which I am happy about, but wonder what impact this will have on us recovering some money under the Lemon Law.

Original review: April 25, 2006

My family and I stopped in at the Lynbrook store to see the puppies. We were approached by a salesperson and were shown a cute puppy in one of their playrooms. My children were warming up to the puppy, and wer were told, if were were not interested, we had to leave the playroom to give time to others that are interested in buying. We left the playroom, and soon, we went back into the playroom to see more puppies. We went back to the first puppy. The sales people there are VERY GOOD. They used such tactics as, this is a very unique color, and if your not interested, we have others that are.

We were concerned about our 2-year old who was crying, and they said, don't worry, she'll come around in a few days. The dog was very calm at the store, and I asked Suzanne if the dog was always this calm. She said he was. When we got him home, he was and has been hyper, and my 2-year old is frightened more and more each day. After using their no money down financing, what was originally a $1400 dog turned out to cost over $2,000.

Suzanne proceeded to bring us throughtout the store and pick all the products we NEEDED. $500.00 LATER, WE FOUND OUT FROM THE VET THEY RECOMMENDED THAT WE DID NOT NEED 80% OF WHAT WE WERE SOLD. My 2-year old is still extremely frightened by the dog, and now, due to their Famous Shake A Paw guarantee, we cannot return the dog. I still have not received the registration papers that they promised, and that is not a reason for breech of contract.

Original review: April 12, 2006

I purchased a puppy on 3/27/06. On 3/28/06 the puppy would not eat. On 3/29 I took him to my vet for his wellness exam. My vet deemed him unfit for sale due to enteritis and anorexia. He prescribed antibiotics for the intestines. The puppy got very sick that evening and overnight. on Thursday morning 3/30/06 I called the store and they yelled at me to take the puppy to their vet. I did. The puppy was near death. He was vomitting and had extremely bloody diharrea and he wasn't eating. He was very lethargic. The vet admitted him immediately and started him on IV and he was isolated in ICU.

The puppy was diagnosed with parvo virus and came down with pnemounia as well. Parvo is highly contagious and deadly. My puppy died in the hospital on 4/10/06, 14 days after I bought him. And I only had him in my possesion for 2 days in which he was sick anyway. He was beautiful and special and I loved him. I wanted to get him help and give him a fighting chance. The puppy was in the pet store for 1 week when I bought him. THe virus incubates for 1 week. And he got sick 24 hours after I took him home from the store. Therefore, the store is infected with parvo and the store manager is doing nothing about it to protect the other puppies.

I am heartbroken and distraught over losing my puppy. The store manager will not refund me what I paid for the dog. He will only give me store credit. I do not want another dog from them knowing now the experience I had and the fact that the virus is living in that store. The risk is too high and the manager was unprofessional and not empathetic to me at all. The virus lives for 8 months on surfaces and I just want to get my money back and try and have this place investigated. They are cruel to the animals and may be getting them from puppy mills.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2005

I purchased a 5 month old Pomeranian puppy back in December 1999. I realize this is untimely but I feel people should be aware of the seriousness of this matter. Upon taking my puppy to the vet for his initial exam, I was advised that he had a very extreme case of kennel cough and needed to be treated with antibiotics. We got the meds and continued to follow up with our vet. 6 weeks later, my puppy was having a very hard time breathing and I rushed him to the vet where he was diagnosed with pneumonia and required IV care for 13 days.

I called Shape a paw and advised them of the situation. ANd told them I expected to be reimbursed for any and all expenses incurred as a result of this illness. I was told by Mike, that I had my dog at a 'very expensive vet' and that I should take him somewhere else. This was not an option as the dog was extremely ill and wasn't able to be transferred. $2750 dollars later, my kids and I had our dog back. When I submitted my claim to the 'healthy puppy' insurance company, it was denied and I was told that any and all arbitrations were held in British Columbia where the policy was written. I contacted Shake a paw and they had nothing to say. Just short of 7 yrs later, our dog died.

My kids and I are heartbroken. Kennel cough is a viral infection that spreads rampantly when not treated. If i had not been in the middle of a divorce at the time of this occurence, I would have taken Shake a Paw to Small Claims Court and sought repayment and sanctions.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2005

On 9/8/2005 I purchased a French Bulldog puppy from Shake-a-Paws in Lynbrook, he was 3 months old. The total price financed was 2,395.00. We named him Enzo, and right away he had kennel cough, then he was diagnosed with Cherry eye, for which we paid 960.00,for surgery on 10/12/2005. We noticed Enzo was not responding to noises, and took him back to the vet on 10/28, and was told he might be deaf, and was directed to take him for a BAER test to determine if in fact he was deaf.The test was performed on 11/25/05 and diagnosed as congenital deafness.

We called Shake a paw and they told us as per the contract, our only recourse is to return Enzo for another bulldog. My question is what would He is such a loving dog with a great personality, it just seems so unfair to us and him that the only alternative is to return him to be put to sleep or we pay 2,395.00 for a deaf dog. I will never buy a dog from a pet store again and certainly not from Shake a paw, nor will I recommend them to anyone.Having a deaf dog will certainly present some challenges to us, but we love Enzo and will do our best with him, which is a lot more than I can say for Shake a paws.

The economic damage Purchas price $2,395.00 Cherry Eye surgery $ 960.00 BAER test $ 244.00 Vet @$55.per 9/05-11/05$ 400.00 Total $ 3,999.00 Hopefully the warranty will cover the cherry eye surgery and the BAER test.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2005

On 8/27/05 I purchased a minature schnauzer from shake a paw.On 9/1/05 the animal was taken to windsor animal for a check up. The puppy was diagnosed with a upper respiratory infection. The puppy was placed on medication cost was 128.00 The puppy was taken back on 9/16/05 after not getting any betterm puppy was given 3 radiograph views.The dog was diagnosed with severe Bronchialpneumonia,partial collapse of left lung lobes.The puppy was placed on several medications the cost was 323.48

The puppy was still sick and was taken back to the vet on 9/28/05.The puppy was placed on more medications. The cost 124.08. The puppy was taken back to the vet on 10/7/05 for recheck.The cost was 35.00 I must also add that the puppy on 9/21/05 had 3 radiograph and had 1 ultrasound. the cost was 465.00 The owner of shake a paw Jeff Morton was given all the vet reports and doctor invoices. Mr Morton was also given 4 veterinary certificates of unfitness. Mr Morton has given only a 135.00 store credit. He has refused to pay any of the doctor bills.

I have used every cent i have trying to save this puppy. The stress I and my family are having is terrible. I need financial repayment from Mr Morton so I can pay my bills that I didn;t so I could pay the vet bills.

Shake A Paw Puppies Company Information