Lynbrook, NY

4.0/5 (268 ratings)
Find a Pet Stores partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Shake A Paw Puppies

For the last 30 years, Shake A Paw has provided the best products and the most extensive selection of puppies to over 30,000 families. Shake a Paw’s pet consultants work seven days a week to help you with any questions or concerns you may have about your new puppy. We have two locations in New York: Hicksville and Lynbrook, that also carry supplies, accessories, food, crates, toys and more. Visit our website today to learn more!

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Shake A Paw Puppies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shake A Paw Puppies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shake A Paw Puppies?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2013

We bought a Netherland Dwarf bunny that we were told was 4 weeks old. After 8 days, the bunny became completely lethargic and unable to move. We took her to the Vet & was told she had been too young to be taken from her mother, and her organs were shutting down. The only option was to euthanize her. To say we were heartbroken, is an understatement. After doing some research, we found that 8 weeks is the minimum age to separate from the mother. Also, the bad press on Shake a Paw was startling.

We did go back to the store & simply ask for a store credit of the $70.00 spent on her. We did not expect the $170.00 in Vet fees to be recovered, and were not interested in any other pet from them. Apparently their policy is "bring in the dead animal & they will replace it". She was already buried - yuk! The store manager went into the back & "said" he called the Vet. He claimed the Vet told him when the bunny was brought in, he was told she had diarrhea & stopped eating. That was not at all the case. That was never said to the Vet, because it was not true. He clearly lied about calling. He also said the Dept. of Agriculture regulates that all animals have to be 8 weeks old before they can cross state lines. That contradicted what we were told when she was bought.

Also when we went back, at first we acted like we were just interested in buying a bunny. We specifically asked the salesperson how old the remaining bunny was - he said 6 weeks. The manager then proceeded to basically throw the paperwork at us & tell us to "Have a nice day". His combative attitude was disgraceful & totally heartless considering he was dealing with the death of a pet. I would absolutely sway anyone from buying a pet of any kind from them. All they care about is the quick buck & not the pet a family takes home to share their life with.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2013

My friend received a dwarf bunny which was only one month old - which is too young to be taken away from his mother. The bunny died couple of days after she received it. The vet even said this is the second one in 2 weeks he dealt with the same problem. She and a co-worker went back to the place and the manager was very nasty (which she has the video on her cell phone), wouldn't even help her on anything and had the nerve to say it was only a rabbit. This company has been in trouble constantly - something has to be done to prevent something like this to happen again and again.

Original review: July 27, 2013

I purchased a chocolate lab in March and till this day she is not medically stable. The amount of money my vet bills have cost me is unreal. Every person I speak to who bought a dog from them is fighting the same battles. I am getting a group of people together and my next step is the MEDIA.

Original review: July 1, 2013

My sister purchased a Pomeranian from Shake A Paw Puppy in Lynbrook in June 2013. She was told the dog was sick but their vet would take care of it. So she put money down on it and came to visit the dog and took it home a few weeks later. She took it to their vet in Rockville Centre and it still has kennel cough and parasites. If she would have known how hard it was for this puppy to shake this Kennel Cough, she would have never gone to Shake A Paw puppy. You should not have to pay $1500 for a dog that sick. Even though their Vet is free, all the time you spend taking the dog there costs you money. My sister loves the dog so much I can only hope this story has a happy ending. We are all in love with him. I guess that is what they bank on. If you buy a puppy from this store, you are really taking a gamble and the chances are you will get a sick dog. They should really clean up their act. No puppy should be sold if it is sick and it should definitely not be with puppies that are well.

Original review: June 28, 2013

I purchased an 8-week old bullmastiff puppy. She was healthy but had a funny walk. It didn't really matter to me because we were not going to 'show' her. I just wanted a companion. Before she became a year old, she developed something called "wobblers" disease. She was not able to raise her neck and her front legs would not hold her. I took her to an animal hospital where they did an MRI and diagnosed her. I then called Shake A Paw to let them know that my dog has a genetic disease that she received from her parents. I was told there was nothing they could do as it was past the return policy time (I would never have returned her). They would not help out with all of the medical bills.

After that initial diagnosis, my dog has had to have BOTH knees plated - if she wanted to walk. She weighs in about 125 and I cannot carry her. I would not 'put her down' nor would I trade her in. I thought I was getting a healthy dog since the breeder was here in NJ. I don't know if it is related or not, but two summers ago, my dog developed 'bloat' and nearly died. I will definitely do my research in the future as I really had no experience in purebred dogs. I had always adopted from shelters in the past.

Original review: May 30, 2013

I bought 2 littermate puppies. One needed surgery at 9 months for a rare disease. The manager, or whoever he is, doesn't want to hear it. HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! Best part is I looked up the breeder, aka puppy mill, they got these puppies from. It is disgusting with hundreds of dogs there. Who knows if I even have the right breed as they claim I do? I spent a lot of money to receive sick dogs, and they won't even stand by the puppies they sell. If you are smart and wise, get elsewhere and do your research. This place has SO many complaints. They are so nice to you until you get home and realize your dog is ill!!

Original review: April 4, 2013

This is a multi-outlet puppy mill reseller. None of the stores or owners or employees are breeders. They are all puppy mill salesmen! Look it up. Google puppy mill puppies and get educated before making the mistake of buying a pup that was bred by a mass producer through a broker to a retail store. They will lie to you and tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale. Protect purebred dogs and buy directly from the breeder! Insist on seeing the whole litter and the parents of the pups. Don't believe excuses. All real breeders have adults and the parents of the breed. I have worked at kennels, dog training schools and many veterinary hospitals. Do your homework, ask a vet or groomer or trainer about where to buy a pup before you make the big mistake!

Original review: March 16, 2013

We visited Shake A Paw in Hicksville, NY today with our two young children. The salesman brought us a Pomeranian puppy to meet in one of their meeting pens. As my children played with the dog, I mentioned to my husband that the dog did not appear to be a purebred Pomeranian (we own one, so we are very knowledgeable about the breed). We noted that it appeared to have a mix of another breed, perhaps a Chihuahua or Skipper Key. The salesman who was listening in on our conversation abruptly entered the pen, removed the dog from my children's hands, and said we were offending him and were accusing him of lying, and that we were not permitted to purchase a puppy from the store and we should leave (this was all said with my 3 and 6 year old present, and were now upset).

Needless to say, I was upset as well. I approached the manager who, without allowing me to get a word in edgewise, told me that it did not matter what I said, he was going to believe his salesman. When I told him that as a customer he should at least listen to what I have to say, he responded that listening to me was "a waste of time" and told me to "just leave". When I asked for his name, he only gave me his first name and refused to give me his last name. I then asked to have the name of his superior and he replied, "There is no one higher up than me." This is clearly not true. I found the staff and manager at this store to be very rude and inappropriate.

Original review: March 14, 2013

I had requested and purchased a pure breed Doberman Pinscher from this business. As time went by, my Doberman grew to 125 lbs. It turns out my 1300 dollar buy is actually a $100 - $300 mixed breed called a Warlock. The pup was also given to us infested with fleas and it took one month for her to heal. I would not do business with them nor this franchise ever again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

We purchased a bulldog from the Lynbrook location on 12/23/12. We noticed the first day we had her she had some breathing issues. She was diagnosed with pneumonia with a 50/50 chance of survival. In addition, we found out she had two parasites, which caused terrible diarrhea and vomiting with loss of appetite. She was hospitalized in isolation for seven days. She is better, but 40 days later, she still has the pneumonia with loose stools from the parasites and all the medication and vet bills have exceeded $4,000.

When I went to the store to discuss with them, they were so rude and they were offended when I suggested the store conditions need to be improved. I paid $2,800 for a terribly sick dog. After leaving the store, I was so shocked I decided to do some research on exactly where my puppy came from - Stonehenge Kennels, a horrific puppy mill from West Point, IA. Steve Kruse is the owner and his kennel has over 1,300 dogs at any time. This must stop!

I finally went to another vet this week and found out that in addition to all I have learned, she will most likely need a new hip (her back legs bow out so much) and all of her upper teeth will need to be extracted due to the poor jaw structure. As she gets older, her teeth will cut up her tongue. This is an absolute nightmare. All I wanted was a family pet for my children. I cannot give her back since my kids are attached. This store needs to be responsible for what is happening here. During my 5 visits to their required vet, I met many fellow Shake A Paw customers with various illnesses as well. My dog is still not able to get her vaccinations since she is so sick. What do we need to do to stop these puppy mills and pet stores who buy them and then sell these sick dogs?!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2013

Today, I was looking to purchase a Siberian Husky at Shake A Paw in Lynbrook, NY (Long Island). I came across a female Husky that was about 3 months old according to the salesperson. We were very interested in purchasing if the price was right. We were quoted a price, decided to take a look at the other Shake A Paw in Hicksville (shortly after Katelyn said that the other store was not affiliated with theirs - even though both stores share the same website). About an hour after commuting to and from the Hicksville location (we didn't see any Huskies we liked), we decided to head back to the Lynbrook location.

My girlfriend and I were content on the original 3-month-old Husky female to purchase. We spoke with Katelyn and she put us in a "visitation booth" one last time prior to purchase (just like earlier in the day) and she noticed that the dog had a slight nasal drip. Following her observation, she recommended and asked that I promise to take it to the vet immediately. She left to the back room and came back and said that they wouldn't allow me to take the dog today and that I should put down a deposit of 400 dollars and pick the dog up in 2 weeks' time approximately. She said that they would keep it in the back room and treat it there by their designated veterinarian who comes once per week (Saturday, today, 1/26), who happened to come earlier that day, who also happened to not have checked on this particular dog during their visit today as it was "not on the list for today's check ups." This scenario was just all too "convenient" for us in our purchase.

Due to her quick change of attitude during the purchase process, we did not feel comfortable giving them $400 to hold the dog until it's "healthy." Had we purchased the dog earlier today upon our first visit, I didn't foresee any problems, but the entire experience (prior to seeing all of these other reviews) has made me entirely uncomfortable and I don't foresee myself going to that place ever again. Furthermore, after reviewing all of these reviews and reflecting upon my experience today, I feel like my girlfriend and I really dodged a bullet.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2012

My aunt and uncle purchased an American Eskimo puppy from Shake a Paw in Hicksville and to make a long story short, the dog is blind in one eye. They had many vet visits and ultimately nothing could be done. Now the poor dog has to live being blind in one eye! In addition, a few short months ago, a close friend purchased a Husky from the Hicksville store and the dog has been violently ill since they brought it home. They finally took it to a vet other than the one Shake a Paw recommends and it turns out the dog has a parasite that is common in puppies purchased from them. A few reviews I read resulted in the death of a puppy that had this parasite along with many other issues.

The management team also leaves a lot to be desired! A few months ago (prior to my friend's purchase), I decided to go in to the Hicksville store to inquire about a Ragdoll Cat. I knew I didn't want to purchase from them but I just wanted to see if all the horror stories were true. It turns out the managers are morons and have no customer service skills whatsoever! I wonder what else will have to happen before these monsters get shut down?!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

Another sick dog - I bought a dog on Saturday, 9/9/2012. I brought the dog to the vet on Monday. The dog has ear mites, kennel cough and parasites. Shake A Paw is covering the cost of the vet, but you should not have to go through this after such a big purchase. They should have full time vets on staff for that many dogs.

Original review: July 16, 2012

Well fortunately, I don't have a horror story like most of these reviews that I obviously didn't read before purchasing my Pup Coco aka Puff at Shake A Paw in Union 5 months ago. Coco is now 8 months and he's a great, happy, healthy puppy. However, I always get a cringe from people when I say I bought him at a pet store. Even my mom cringed because she got her Yorkie from a breeder. Anyway, back to Coco. He is a Shih Tzu poodle mix and is just a cute ball of fun and extremely smart. At 8 months, he's 99 percent housebroken, sits, shakes both paws and plays dead, all on demand for a treat of course and also stays by my side and listens without a leash. Recently, on 4th of July, he came with us to a BBQ and got a round of applause for his obedience and tricks. I think pet insurance is probably a good idea no matter what, so I am going to look into that.

Original review: July 6, 2012

I recently purchased a Lab from Shake A Paw in Hicksville. I purchased her on 6/25/12. The next day, she came down with kennel cough. She was on antibiotics and was getting better until Monday, 7/2/12. She was very lethargic, would not eat, was vomiting, and had diarrhea. I took her to the vet and they tested her stool sample and gave deworming medication. The following day, she was still lethargic and found out she had coccidia. I went back to the vet for more medication. By Wednesday, July 4th, she was admitted to the hospital for dehydration, lack of appetite, and continued vomiting and diarrhea.

As of today, Friday, July 6th, she has been diagnosed with Parvo. She will be in ICU for another 7-10 days and I am praying she is strong enough to fight this off. I am sure there are plenty of other dogs who have contracted this virus since I have had her and there may even be an outbreak going on in Shake A Paw. I will continue to post as this still develops but I don't want anyone else to go through this!

Original review: June 26, 2012

Shake a Paw of Lynbrook, NY are selling puppies that are sick with roundworms and other parasites that our healthy children are able to acquire. We bought our 3 and 1/2 month old beagle for $1,200.00, not to mention the $300 in dog supplies, last Friday, June 15, 2012 for our kids to play with. A few days later, I took her to the vet the company recommended to us in Rockville, only for them to tell us she had not one parasite but two. One of the parasites was roundworm and humans can acquire this from their pets’ stool. My kids were around her 5 days carrying her, hugging her, laying on the floor she sits on after she uses the bathroom.

I am well aware that dogs have or can acquire parasites; however, if I am paying a pet shop $1,500, I expect for them to give me a healthy puppy. Why isn't it mandatory for the pet shops to check the puppies' stools? If they had checked it for the month or month and a half they had her in the pet shop, why wasn't she on medication, separated from the healthy puppies and not put for sale? These puppy shops do not care about our kids' health risk, only how quickly they can make a profit.

Please be aware if you and your family are interested in purchasing a puppy. The contracts read; you cannot get your money back if the puppy has internal or external parasites. I should have asked myself, why is that? Maybe because Shake a Paw already knows what condition the puppy is in!

Original review: May 9, 2012

I purchased a Siberian Husky, 11 weeks old, on Sunday, 4/29 and he was ill at the vet Wednesday and Friday, and finally hospitalized on Sunday, and died Wednesday morning. He was highly infected with Parvo, Distemper, Giardia, Respiratory Infection and Pneumonia. After $4500 in vet bills in trying to bring back to health, he died nine days from purchase. The vaccination records given to us are questionable if indeed the vaccines had been given to this puppy. Anyone who has purchased a dog at this store or knows anyone who has purchased an ill dog, please contact the Nassau Health Department and file a complaint. The above diseases are highly contagious and fatal.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2011

My daughter purchased a Maltese puppy from Shake-A-Paw in Lynbrook for $850.00. The dog went to their vet within 48 hours for well check. Dog had a highly contagious infection that showed up in the stool sample. Vet checks were free but medications and stool samples cost us over $600.00 and many months to cure. Diarrhea was all over the place. The dog couldn't even be adopted by anyone else because infection was contagious to other animals and humans. I checked all the papers. The dog came from a puppy mill in Kansas which had numerous violations against them.

Shake-A-Paw contract stipulates no refunds whatsoever. The papers also said that she was registered which did not mean AKC registered. There is a breeder-controlled club that means nothing as far as recognition. We had to give the dog up because I could not longer handle the diarrhea situation (even though non-contagious by that time). Do not buy a dog or cat from a store. You will see tons of purebred Maltese and Shih Tzus for adoption from Rescue Organizations.

I am unable to get a refund. I paid close to $1000.00 for medicines and repeated tests until stool was clear. Dog still had remnant diarrhea. It was adopted by a woman who handles sick dogs. Read all contracts before even thinking about buying an animal from them - you'll see you have no recourse.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2011

We bought a black Great Dane and was told that she had a clean bill of health. As soon as we brought her in the car, you could hear that she was not well at all. Her breathing was harsh. We immediately took her to the vet and now she is in the hospital and has been diagnosed with pneumonia. The hospital said she is skin and bones and she was not fit for sale.

Original review: July 5, 2011

They are changing the birth dates of the puppies to make them younger. They are a bunch of liars and very nasty and pushy. They get angry if you want to look at a dog. The tall, older woman in that place is a **. Stay away. Shake A Paw in Hicksville was very professional.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2011

I purchased a puppy at this place. They claimed that she was healthy to be sold. However, I took her to the vet a week after picking her up, and my vet said she was unfit to be sold. She is significantly underweight, has pneumonia, has an intestinal parasite, and may have hip problems. I am concerned for the welfare of the 200 puppies that are still in the two Shake A Paw locations!

Our new puppy may have to be admitted to the animal hospital if her condition does not improve over the next day or so. One of the options this pet store offers is to return the dog, but my family and I are already attached to her and do not want to bring her back to the people that have neglected her and to the people that will probably put her to sleep because of her condition. Who knows at this point what our total vet costs will be, but we are going to do what we have to do to try and nurse her back to health.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2011

We went to Shake a Paw in Hicksville. We put a $200 deposit on a $1850 dog and scheduled to get the pup the next day. I was given a receipt and an invoice, indicating no refund for my deposit and the breeders' names. In addition, the remaining balance for the dog was on the invoice. They never gave me the dog's pedigree papers or papers showing he was properly registered. I researched the breeders and found that several years back, the AKC suspended their licenses for falsifying records. On the day we were scheduled to pick up the dog, I called and inquired about the breeder and these papers. James became very uncooperative. He told me that the papers for this dog were not listed through the AKC but with the United All Breed Registry. He said he didn't have the papers.

I contacted both the AKC and All Breed. They indicated that if the pup was registered, then Shake a Paw should have the papers, and I was entitled to those papers. AKC had no record of these puppies being registered. All Breed told us to get the parents' names for the dog and the registration number to check the pup's records. James was more irritated when I asked for that information. He indicated that I should not be inquiring about the papers. And he said that he was no longer selling me the dog and giving me a refund! He wasn't comfortable with selling me the dog, the day before I was certainly fit to purchase a dog for $1850. In addition, I signed several times indicating no refund would be given to us. However, James was quick to give me the refund. I was deemed "unfit" the next day because I wanted the dog's papers. My family was extremely disappointed. We were treated unfairly. Being rejected this way was a discrimination.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2010

I have been in search for the perfect puppy for the past three years. About few months ago, I walked into Shake A Paw. I was approached by all of their sales people including there manager James. (I am not a fan of any sales person). After walking around for about 30 minutes, I fell instantly in love with the most adorable morkie puppy, now named Bianca.

This pup was behind what they called the nursery. I then asked the sales persons standing around if I would be able to play with that puppy (Bianca). Two of the sales persons explained to me including the manager that I was not allowed to play with that pup because it was too young etc etc.. At first I was upset. I am young but am a very independent person. How do they know if I am interested in buying a pup or not?

So I walked around the puppy room for a bit more but kept going back to the same morkie. Finally, a sales person who noticed this came up to me and asked if I had any questions. I asked again if I could see the pup in a room. His reply, "Of course, you can." After playing with the pup and asking Rick, the sales person that finally let me sit with my Bianca, some lengthy questions about training etc, work schedules and potty training, getting all the answers I wanted to hear,

I agreed to purchase Bianca and all the supplies I needed for her. The only one issue I had with Bianca was kennel cough which Rick explained could possibly happen.

I took my Bianca to West Hills Animal Hospital in Huntington. They were superb with my baby and Shake A Paw covered every penny of the kennel cough except compounding of medication and a stool check just like the manger, Matt explained. My experience at Shake A Paw was great! And I do recommend them to all my relatives and friends! However, they may have lost that sale had I been a jerk because they originally didn't want to let me play with my Bianca! I am extremely glad I didn't walk out of the store upset because I would've never got the puppy of my dreams!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2010

I just bought a new puppy boxer (not from Shake A Paw) but I went there looking for a create. I decided to take a look at the boxers they had at the store so I left my 3 month old puppy at the register w the cashier because I didn't want to bring him near the other dogs. I saw 4 different boxers and they were all 3-4 times larger than my dog. I asked the age's and they told me all the fogs were 3-4 months old which is impossible due to the size. I had living proof at the register. After realizing that they are a bunch of liars, I went to get my puppy and the cashier was feeding him treats w/o my permission. I feel these people are unprofessional, uneducated, and untrustworthy. Do yourself a favor and do not do business with Shake-A-Paw!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2010

In April of 2004 we purchased a Cane Corso Mastiff puppy from Shake A Paw in Hicksville from James. Now in October of 2010, I can tell you that this is by far the best dog I've ever had. She's almost 7 and I'm not gonna lie, I've definitely spent money on her for knee surgery and regular vet visits, but I don't see how Shake A Paw would be responsible for that. We purchased a Pug puppy from Lynbrook that comes home hopefully on Sunday, 10/31/2010. I have to be honest with you, some sales people are definitely pushy, but this is their job and I'm sure they work on commission so I get it. Our pup has kennel cough and they are amazing about it. They said that he had to get vet clearance before he could come home. I think that shows care and concern for the pup. I hope that my experience this time is as pleasant as the last time almost 7 years ago. Kathleen and Beverly are wonderful and not pushy at all so if you're considering a purchase from there, they are great to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2010

I bought an English bulldog in April 2010. I knew she was my dog the moment I saw her. The person who sold her to us was great and didn't try to push us into a sale. She developed kennel cough the first week we had her, which the Shake A Paw recommended vet covered and she quickly recovered.

However, at the end of July we scheduled her appointment to be spayed. Our puppy had an adverse reaction on the anesthesia and immediately went into cardiac arrest. The vet (not the Shake A Paw vet) was unable to revive her. She was only 6 months old.

I did my research to determine why the vet didn't know and what could be done. The vet did all the blood work necessary and our dog was healthy. There is no test to detect this allergy. It turns out that new research suggests this is genetic. From my understanding, this means it would be covered under our contact with Shake A Paw, as they cover genetic disorders.

I called Shake A Paw to simply ask what the process would be to determine if this was covered. I understand this is very rare. After listening for less than 5 minutes, the manager said, "Well, what do you want me to do about it. Call the vet - he screwed up." He later continued with, "What, you just want me to hand you another dog?" I already had other vets review the report to determine if it was the vet. The dosages were correct, the vet is not at fault. I was simply looking to determine if there was anything Shake A Paw could do. He was rude and not the least bit sympathetic. I was not looking for another pet, as I feel I have lost a family member. I was looking to see if we had options at some point down the road. He had little to no customer service skills. I can't believe he's the manager.

I am so disappointed in the way I was treated. We spent over $3,000 at Shake A Paw and lost our puppy just 3 months later. I at least deserved to be treated with respect and for the manager to have some compassion when I called.

Original review: March 24, 2010

My Japanese Chin born in Jan. 2007 died on March 15, 2010. It weighed only 2.8 lbs. Sunny Chin had many diagnosed diseases and in and out of hospitals. What took his life was a genetic lower bowel problem where he would lose all his body proteins. Our hearts are broken. Shake A Paw should be investigated and closed down. My children, husband and other dog are devastated. We did everything we could-- specialists, hospitals, not to mention over $20,000 to save his life.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2010

I bought a Chihuahua for my girl. Long story short, two days later, it was very sick and had to stay on IV for a week and almost died. The owner refused to pay until I went there and was going to beat him. He paid the vet bill. Now, three years later, my pup has cancer. If my dog dies, I'm going to go there and smack everyone in there.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2009

I was looking to buy my 6-year old daughter a puppy, a Neapolitan Mastiff to be exact. I always knew better than to buy a puppy from a store as I have family that breeds toy dogs for the show ring. I went in and talked to one of the associates, John, about my purchase and was told that the dog was a special order and that they would find one for me from a reputable breeder. I asked further what made the breeder reputable and he gave a song and dance about the Dept. of Agriculture checking in on the breeders that they used and that they weren't puppy mills. I guess I wanted this dog so badly that I decided to go against every instinct I had and went ahead and left a deposit for them to find my dog.

John was very helpful and did his job quite well. Everything he said he was going to do he did, including getting me a picture of the dog that they found for me. I was very happy and couldn't wait to surprise my daughter on Christmas morning. On the day I agreed to pick up the dog, I got a phone call from the manager Tashy stating that they found a second dog that held more of the characteristics that I was looking for in the breed. I went in, looked at the dog, and decided at the end of the night to take the second dog offered to me. At the store, the dog was playful and well mannered. Fast forward to less than 12 hours later and the dog has no appetite, is lethargic and unresponsive. The dog threw up everything that he took in including water and I took him immediately to the animal hospital.

Over the last three days, the dog has gone up and down and finally ending up very, very sick again. The conversation I had with the doctor indicated that the dog would not make it through the next night. I immediately phoned the store and was conveniently told that Tashy, the manager, couldn't hear me as the phone was static ridden. I told him not to worry I was on my way to the store. When I got to the store, I was again met with resistance saying that I saw the dog and it wasn't sick in the store. I pursued my point and I guess he got it because I was told they would refund my money. The manager was told to write me a check which I refused in case they wanted to stop payment on it and was eventually refunded my money through my credit card.

I had many problems as far as communication with the manager and he never called me back although he insisted that he did. I got every other call from everyone else in my life this week, strange that I missed only his. They stalled and tried every tactic possible not to refund my money and it was only my persistence and determination that made it possible. I implore everyone who reads this to stay far away from Shake A Paw or any other store like it. I am guilty of giving them a shot in order to shorten the length of time needed to get a pet. I hope that this little puppy gets better and lives a long life but it doesn't sound like he will. God bless him.

Now I sit here on Christmas Eve with nothing of substance for my daughter for Christmas. All I have for her is a story to tell her about the sick puppy that almost was. I have toys a crate and food to explain as well as why she didn't get what she asked Santa for. I am to blame for being so impulsive and not listening to my gut but Shake A Paw is to blame as well for dealing in puppy mills and irresponsible breeding. Stay far, far, far away!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2009

My family and I recently became interested in buying a puppy. One day, we visited the Shake A Paw in Union, New Jersey. We took out a cream-sable Pomeranian puppy who we nicknamed Blondie. We all noticed how calm and sweet she was compared to the other Pomeranian puppy we played with, who was more interested in the toy than us, and was unbelievably hyper. But Blondie was sweet and gentle. She even lay on my lap for a while, despite never having met us before. We also played with a poodle and a Cocker Spaniel. Neither was as amazing as Blondie. We did not buy her, however. As we left, we stopped to ask the people there some questions, even though it states on their site that all pups are from quality breeders.

The people seemed so nice, and they answered every one of our questions. About 30 minutes later, our daughter, who fell in love with Blondie, was in tears. We had just learned that Blondie had come from a puppy mill, the reason she was so mellow. To think that we almost bought from Shake A Paw is now unbearable, it hurts my heart just thinking about it. My story should tell you one thing: even the nicest seeming companies can have a mask on. We are now looking for a breeder instead.

Shake A Paw Puppies Company Information