2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Science Diet Reviews

Original review: March 1, 2020

I fed 1 dog this for yrs - she crapped all over the place. I thought she would never get potty trained. The dog I have now came to me completely potty trained - rarely an accident. He developed heart problems so I put him on Science Diet h/d (for heart issues). Came highly rated. He too suddenly developed the runs and crapped all over the place. Now I know it has nothing to do with being potty trained. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD - there is something wrong with it Science Diet dog food. I am putting this dog back on Castor & Pollux (good food). Hindsight being 20/20 I never should of had my other dog on science diet - now I see it was the food not the dog.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

As others have noticed, Hills changed the formula for this food sometime in late 2019. My 14 year old Border Collie mix has happily eaten Science Diet for his entire life. He now lets his food sit and pretty clearly doesn't like it. He won't even eat the extra kibbles that fall on the floor. He'll immediately devour any other type of food put in front of him. So I'm looking for a new food. Not sure if this is related or not, but his skin is very dry since the food change.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My dog is a very avid eater typically. Not picky by any means. I'm usually very particular about his diet even though I'm by no means wealthy. The vet treating his perianal fistulas recently handed us two cans of this "prescription diet." My dog refused to eat it. I didn't think twice given a vet handed it to me for free as a gift since he "liked" my guy. Turn the can around and gee no wonder!! Digestive care lol. What about the beginning of the ingredient list shows a "care" for a dog's well-being. This is overpriced cheap Purina style nonsense: Water, Turkey, Pork Liver, Rice, Modified Rice Starch, Whole Grain Corn, Egg Product, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose. Corn? Really?

Seriously if you can do it and you love your pet turn the can/bag around and have a quick read. I've been feeding him Canidae limited ingredient dry rotating the kind everyday and every one of his health issues has vanished right down to his dandruff. Turns out he was having problems with allergies likely leading to part of the cause of his recent health scare. Then a vet went on attempting to make my dude even sicker with this nonsense. Don't let vets trick you apparently.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My 10 year old cat has eaten different types of Science Diet his whole life. Recently, I opened a new bag that was marked "New Improved" and he won't have anything to do with it. I tried another type of Science Diet dry food and he won't eat it either. Over the past week, the poor thing has eaten very little. But after reading other reviews, I think I am glad he won't. He, too, has thrown up liquid, which he'd never done before. Whatever formula change was made, needs to be undone. We are now off looking for a new brand of food. Any ideas from others who have had to find something to replace the indoor adult cat formula?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have a 4 year toy poodle that just would not eat dog food. It would either make her sick or she just would not eat it, I was very worried about her and just on a whim I purchased a bag of Hill's Science Small Paws and she loves it! This has been a godsend to my family. We love our fur baby, she is a extremely important part of our family and to see her eat something that is healthy and she loves. She is more alert and active since eating Hill's Science. This is a great dog food!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I have been using Science Diet since we adopted our Lab-GSH mix four years ago. It was supposed to be high in animal protein and low on grains. Well, something changed. A month ago, while I was away, our pup had a seizure. Then a couple of weeks later, another. The vet says, genetic disposition, don't worry. But we noticed she is much more picky about eating, and sometimes chooses not to eat. She was also an eager eater. Noticed the composition of the bits were clearly different. Now, she won't even finish a bowl of food, wet or dry. I'm pretty sure something has changed, if I can't see it, our dog definitely knows, and is not happy about it. Looking for something better.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

When we made the switch a couple of weeks ago to Hills Science Diet I thought I was buying the best for our puppy. A couple of days after he started eating the food he threw up. I know that is not uncommon when switching foods so we continued to feed it to him. Recently I noticed he was eating more grass and today he wouldn't eat a thing. He was lethargic and overall not well. I spoke to an animal professional who told me some dogs have a negative reaction to Hills Science Diet dog food and to take it away from him. I have now removed it out of my house and started feeding my puppy pumpkin puree to help settle his stomach. For as sick as my puppy was acting - there is no way I will ever purchase Science Diet again.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Best diets on the Market. A must read. Ok everyone I am sure you're thinking no way. Well yes. I have a 12 yr old male Siamese, Balinese cat who is 12 going on 2. I used to have him on other diets, I got him from my vet at 5 yrs old and he was on whatever the cats opened. They had him on Science Diet and he was a gorgeous cat, beautiful fur and healthy. When I got him I decided after all the hype about grain free diets to try them. One is no longer on the market, thanks Smucker's. Because of you I now have my cat on foods that are good for him. :)

The other dry food was Blue and within two years of putting him on Blue, my cat developed neck lesions on 4 teeth and had to have them pulled. The vet said he thought it might be stomatitis but it wasn't! It was all the multiple pre and probiotics they were adding into the food. If you ate that many pre and probiotics your gut would be killing you. They only need lactobacillus if they are out of balance and you can use your own Culterelle and put in canned food or sprinkle on dry food. I use one for me and half for him. Since I began using Science Diet he is no longer vomiting, has normal stools, no teeth have been pulled, no neck lesions. IT WAS NOT STOMATITIS! When too many pre probiotics are added, it disturbs the natural flora and causing bacteria to go up the esophagus into the mouth and develop neck lesions.

I took him off the NO GRAIN DIETS, put him on Science Diet optimal care and also as he got older he is 12 now I have him on indoor 12 + and also on Youthful Vitality. My kitty is healthy, and happy and never in better health. I will NEVER put my cat on a no grain diet. What do they eat in the wild, birds, mice etc and what do birds and mice eat? GRAINS!! When someone tells you corn gluten meal, it is that tiny piece of white in a kernel of corn, IT IS PLANT PROTEIN. Do not let people tell you that grain free is better. NEWS FLASH FROM TV 6 it is not better for your animals. They just had a detailed news story on no grain not being good for your pets. I will stay with SD as long as I can. I just hope they remove the wheat again...but my cat loves it and won't eat canned nor human food. So he gets a variety with SD. Don't let the commercials or pet stores tell you different. No Grain diets are not better for cats or dogs.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I rescued a black Lab back in March. He was having issues with digestion and my vet wrote a prescription for the Hills Science Diet i/d Digestive Care Dog Food. I purchased a 8.5 pound bag of the dry dog food at my vet's clinic. He ate the food for two weeks and had significant approval in his bowel movements and he appeared to be feeling better and having more energy.

Recently I ordered a large bag from Chewy.com and fed him from this bag. After two meals my dog began to shake and tremble uncontrollably and appeared to be terrified. This went on for 5 days over a holiday weekend. He would not leave his cage nor go outside to relieve himself. I took him to the vet and she prescribed anxiety medication. Nothing changed. I kept suspecting something was wrong with the i/d bag of food I received from Chewy.com. I went to the vet and purchased a 8.5 bag and after just two feeding he was back to normal.

After consulting with my vet I contacted Hills Customer Service. They advised me they would have Chewy.com refund my purchase and that they would send me coupons in the mail. To this date I only received an email survey from Hills on how my complaint was handled and I received two five dollar coupons. That's it! No apology letter, no follow up, no concern of how that food made my dog so ill. I am considering have the food analyzed by a lab. Please be aware. I would not want another dog and family to suffer like we did. This all occurred in June 2019.

Original review: July 1, 2019

After using Hill's Science Diet for 20 years for both my cats & dogs, I am appalled to learn that they outsourced production of portions of their product to China. Many pets died as a result of their greed. What concerns me also is that this product was recommended to me by my veterinarian. I gladly paid a premium for a product that I thought would be the best for my pets health.

The fact that commercial dog manufacturers have overlooked is that pet owners do not think of their pets as disposable. We value them as much as our own family/children. Because of Hill's negligence in maintaining strict quality standards in directly overseeing the production of their products, I AM BOWING OUT OF ALL COMMERCIAL DOG FOODS FOREVER. I have educated myself and will continue to do so in order to prepare a nutritionally balanced diet in my own home! YOU HAVE ALL BETRAYED MY TRUST!

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
      www.hillspet.com