2. Pets

Science Diet

4.0/5 (268 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Science Diet

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Science Diet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Science Diet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: July 17, 2020

Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive Stomachs seems to have been the perfect remedy for my cat that has both problems of diarrhea and constipation. I am not an expert on ingredients but my cat likes it and his stomach likes it and that is enough for me.

Original review: July 2, 2020

My cat almost died and needed urinary surgery. I was told by the vet to use the Hills Science Diet. I need a prescription to use it. My cat loves this cat food. He has not been sick since the surgery and the use of this cat food. It is expensive but it keeps my kitty healthy. I have been ordering it through Chewy.com.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2021

I recently took my female dog who was 5 yrs old to the vet 03/21 for her one year well being checkup that included blood work and yearly shots. Was told she was overweight needed to put her on a diet was recommended to use Hills Science Diet product. With putting her on a diet we decided to feed our other pets Hills Science products. We have a 6 month old large puppy put him on large breed puppy food. Our other pet is a small breed of 10 years old we bought the small breed older food for him. Both the 5 yr old and puppy their stools were not a good form. We figured it was their system was cleaning themselves out as a cleansing. Our 10 year old stool is very hard.

Fast forward two months we noticed our 5 yr old girl the weekend of May 15, 2021. She looked as if she lost 10 lbs overnight but still active along with eating and drinking normally. Just figured the product is working well for her. Then she took a turn on 05/18/21. My wife made appointment with vet for a checkup 05/21/21. She was very dehydrated. The vet treated the dehydration along anti diarrhea and anti nausea medication with blood work.

On May 22, 2021 we received a call from vet informing us that the blood work came back with bad news. The pancreas numbers were off the charts along with keto numbers were also off the charts with such high numbers our vet asked a colleague for a second opinion both vets came to the same conclusion. We were recommended to put our girl to rest for this will be fatal but also gave us the option for further treatment which will be with no guarantee of a productive life and or death.

We chose putting her to rest but not without several questions. The main question was how this was not detected back in March. The only thing we have done differently by recommendation was putting her on a diet. Prior to this she was active, happy, playful. Then just overnight my girl was not herself. While talking to friends and family who also feed this product to their dog/cat also found themselves putting the pet to rest. I can not confirm it’s the product but I do find it very coincidental in short periods of time pets are being put to rest for health issues.

Original review: April 8, 2021

We couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. Did the dog poop in the house? I'd changed my dog's food because I thought she was putting on a bit of weight and reached for Science Diet Perfect Weight. Well, we haven't even finished the bag and I've gotten her on to some Merrick grain-free Beef and Sweet Potato. In less than a day, after shampooing the dog, washing all our bedding, airing out and de-stinking the house, things are almost back to normal. I have NEVER known a dog to stink so much. Even a little dog breath is manageable, but this smell just started building and building and it wasn't the dog farting. It was the entire dog - her breath smelled better. Perhaps she doesn't tolerate it, but in another country, I used to feed a dog what we call dog roll (it's wet meat and you cut off what you need and store it in the fridge) and then sometimes some dry food and table scraps.

Never had I experienced such a stinky stinky dog and I can only imagine how she was feeling. Back to the tasty food for her. She doesn't actually like Science Diet to begin with (even the regular stuff we got her as a puppy). Maybe it was good in the past, but reading other reviews, it appears that however good they used to be, they've probably changed their formula. Someone else in my family swears by it - but it's definitely not for this little mutt and I don't have a pedigree or some expensive dog - she's a bitza. I'm telling you, in less than 24 hours, changing her food and cleaning everything (including furbaby) the smell which became so overpowering, is almost gone. Perhaps it's just this 'diet' dog food - but if that's the case, try a different brand and if your dog is reacting badly through odor, before you get the anal glands checked out, I'd probably suggest trying a grain-free option. I'm not a dog expert - just love our dogs.

Original review: June 20, 2020

Hills Science Diet has been prescribed to each of our cats. Every time our cats eat this food they have horrible diarrhea and vomiting. We switched foods to Royal Canin and have never had these problems. We recently adopted a kitten and they gave her this food and she has had horrible diarrhea and required multiple vet visits. Switching off immediately. I’m sure the company pays vets a lot to prescribe their brand. Do not buy this food!

Original review: March 1, 2020

I fed 1 dog this for yrs - she crapped all over the place. I thought she would never get potty trained. The dog I have now came to me completely potty trained - rarely an accident. He developed heart problems so I put him on Science Diet h/d (for heart issues). Came highly rated. He too suddenly developed the runs and crapped all over the place. Now I know it has nothing to do with being potty trained. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD - there is something wrong with it Science Diet dog food. I am putting this dog back on Castor & Pollux (good food). Hindsight being 20/20 I never should of had my other dog on science diet - now I see it was the food not the dog.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

As others have noticed, Hills changed the formula for this food sometime in late 2019. My 14 year old Border Collie mix has happily eaten Science Diet for his entire life. He now lets his food sit and pretty clearly doesn't like it. He won't even eat the extra kibbles that fall on the floor. He'll immediately devour any other type of food put in front of him. So I'm looking for a new food. Not sure if this is related or not, but his skin is very dry since the food change.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

My dog is a very avid eater typically. Not picky by any means. I'm usually very particular about his diet even though I'm by no means wealthy. The vet treating his perianal fistulas recently handed us two cans of this "prescription diet." My dog refused to eat it. I didn't think twice given a vet handed it to me for free as a gift since he "liked" my guy. Turn the can around and gee no wonder!! Digestive care lol. What about the beginning of the ingredient list shows a "care" for a dog's well-being. This is overpriced cheap Purina style nonsense: Water, Turkey, Pork Liver, Rice, Modified Rice Starch, Whole Grain Corn, Egg Product, Chicken, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose. Corn? Really?

Seriously if you can do it and you love your pet turn the can/bag around and have a quick read. I've been feeding him Canidae limited ingredient dry rotating the kind everyday and every one of his health issues has vanished right down to his dandruff. Turns out he was having problems with allergies likely leading to part of the cause of his recent health scare. Then a vet went on attempting to make my dude even sicker with this nonsense. Don't let vets trick you apparently.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

My 10 year old cat has eaten different types of Science Diet his whole life. Recently, I opened a new bag that was marked "New Improved" and he won't have anything to do with it. I tried another type of Science Diet dry food and he won't eat it either. Over the past week, the poor thing has eaten very little. But after reading other reviews, I think I am glad he won't. He, too, has thrown up liquid, which he'd never done before. Whatever formula change was made, needs to be undone. We are now off looking for a new brand of food. Any ideas from others who have had to find something to replace the indoor adult cat formula?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have a 4 year toy poodle that just would not eat dog food. It would either make her sick or she just would not eat it, I was very worried about her and just on a whim I purchased a bag of Hill's Science Small Paws and she loves it! This has been a godsend to my family. We love our fur baby, she is a extremely important part of our family and to see her eat something that is healthy and she loves. She is more alert and active since eating Hill's Science. This is a great dog food!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I have been using Science Diet since we adopted our Lab-GSH mix four years ago. It was supposed to be high in animal protein and low on grains. Well, something changed. A month ago, while I was away, our pup had a seizure. Then a couple of weeks later, another. The vet says, genetic disposition, don't worry. But we noticed she is much more picky about eating, and sometimes chooses not to eat. She was also an eager eater. Noticed the composition of the bits were clearly different. Now, she won't even finish a bowl of food, wet or dry. I'm pretty sure something has changed, if I can't see it, our dog definitely knows, and is not happy about it. Looking for something better.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

When we made the switch a couple of weeks ago to Hills Science Diet I thought I was buying the best for our puppy. A couple of days after he started eating the food he threw up. I know that is not uncommon when switching foods so we continued to feed it to him. Recently I noticed he was eating more grass and today he wouldn't eat a thing. He was lethargic and overall not well. I spoke to an animal professional who told me some dogs have a negative reaction to Hills Science Diet dog food and to take it away from him. I have now removed it out of my house and started feeding my puppy pumpkin puree to help settle his stomach. For as sick as my puppy was acting - there is no way I will ever purchase Science Diet again.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    www.hillspet.com