Science Diet
2.77/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2013

My cat suddenly became very sick having daily seizures, vomiting several times a day, and episodes where her back legs were not working because her kidneys were shutting down. I really thought she was going to die. She had eaten Science Diet all her life, but it was when I bought a new bag in Nov 2013 that said "new improved formula" that she quickly became very sick. Then I found this site and other sites where so many dog & cat owners are linking their pet's illnesses to the new formula of Science Diet. I immediately took her food away and went out to buy another brand. She was better right away, no vomiting or seizures since and it's been a few weeks now. I really believe if I hadn't found this information and changed her food when I did my cat would have died. Please pass this on to every pet owner you know, Tweet or Facebook it to get the word out about this. Science Diet should recall this product but they won't do it until there is an uprising.

If you google "Science Diet patent" you will find that they received a patent in late 2012 to use polyethylene (a toxic plastic) as a coating on the food to extend shelf life. Is this the culprit or is there something else in there? On the Consumer Affairs web site there are 186 complaints (as of Dec 2013) under Science Diet and 56 complaints (as of Dec 2013) under Hills (the parent co).

Original review: Dec. 29, 2013

I really wish I had found this site earlier this year. Our cats have been on Sd hair ball control for years. Our 5 yr old tabby out of the blue started becoming lethargic, throwing up foam, going into the litter box and just crying. These are indoor pampered cats! Took him to the vets. They gave him IV fluids and kept him over night. Tests showed he was blocking up with urine and his kidneys were failing. They unblocked him and he stayed that way overnight. We were going to bring him home the next day but sadly got a call he was reblocking. The Dr said there was surgery but more than likely this would keep happening. We made the very painful decision to have him put down - he was suffering so much. Now reading all these comments I have no doubt SD killed our cat!! Our 7yo girl cat gags a lot. I'm curious to see if that stops with changing her food. Just bought a new bag yesterday. I'm trashing it and heading to the store right now.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2013

I have been feeding this to my dogs for approx 2 1/2 months as it is what my Vet sells (at a ridiculous amount btw, $30.00 for an 8 lb bag). He insisted this was the best food on the market. I found it cheaper on Amazon and the dogs were fine for about 2 months, but the last two weeks they have both been vomiting about every other day. We finally have through trial and error figured out it was the food.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2013

I have had my tux. cat since he was 2 1/2 mos. old. Always gave him Science Diet. August 13, 2013, I went to work and when I came home, my tux. was lethargic, drooling and foaming. Took him to the vet and they gave him a shot of vitamins. That was at 4pm. By 5:00am, he was dead. Really didn't think nothing of it. Oct 11, 2013, we adopted 2 kittens, litter mates. They were on a Purina kitten food and Science Diet kitten mix to switch them to Science Diet. On November 5, I started a Science Diet kitten and Science Diet adult (same bag as the tux had) mix. Getting ready for work on the morning of the 6th, Joker (6 mos old) started vomiting and howling in pain. From 5:30 am until 8am, he vomited 5 times.

I took him to the vet and they kept him for tests among other things. After we got home and his brother was eating the food, I took away thinking about the coincidence. Joker stayed downstairs and ate during the night while his brother slept in bed with me all night. The vet said on the 7, after surgery, it was best to put him down. It was Fip. When I looked at the bag of food, it said "New look! Improved formula!" Whenever I seen that in the store, I always stuck to the old formula until I didn't have a choice. Personally, I think it was the food. Losing 2 cats in 2 months is just too much. I have filed a complaint with Science Diet (I was told to destroy all food and they never had any problems/complaints) and also filed a complaint with the FDA.

It has been almost a month and have yet to hear anything from Science Diet. All I want is the food to be tested. After I started making the complaints, I thought this is not going to bring them back. Hopefully, this will help save some babies lives. It is worth it and my next step is to contact a lawyer...... and no, I did not destroy any of the food. I still have it all.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2013

When the ingredients say chicken meal that is NOT beaks, feathers etc. Regulations state that Meat meal is "exclusive of feathers, heads, feet and entrails." It's boiled and then died and ground. It's similar to the meat left over when soup stock is made. When your food says chicken BY-PRODUCT then you are then getting all of the hot dog parts PLUS heads, feet, beaks and FEATHERS. Also, since ingredients are listed in order of weight having a "dry meat" listed early means that a larger portion of the final product is/was meat and not fillers.

We also were had the "Science Diet s/d" forced on use by the vet. It worked well. But to call it dog food is being generous. It's closer to chicken fat flavored flan. (Water, Corn Starch, Egg Product and Chicken Fat). The first "meat" is pork liver the 5th ingredient well into the second line. Likely added for IRON not for PROTEIN. Followed by SUGAR, Sawdust, & miscellaneous vitamins. I do not mean to be argumentative, I just don't want people to avoid Good Food Brands that have "MEAL" thinking that means "GROSS BITS".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2013

At the insistence of our vet, I put our 10-month old cat on Hill's Science Diet. She was perfectly healthy, happy and the joy of our lives. She refused to eat the Science Diet. It was NOT labeled Improved. It's the "Grain Free." Within days of nibbling at very small amounts of these pellets, she became lethargic. The vet said she had a temp of 105 degrees and a bacterial infection. She is strictly an indoor cat. Never goes outside and never associates with other animals. She is now on intravenous, in severe pain, and the bill is at $2,000. But it is the heartache of knowing I fed her this stuff. I insisted she eat it because the vet said it was the right thing to do. This company needs a thorough investigation now before any more animals suffer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2013

After using Science Diet Adult Small Bites for over two years, we brought home a bag last week, noticed it said improved, figuring that since it was now Velcro closure, as the 'improved' fed our two POMERANIANs. Within three days, both started gagging food, later vomiting. By fourth day, bloody stools began by the next morning. I had to beg people to help me with money to get them to a vet! I am on SSD, no money until the 3rd of each month. This was the day after Thanksgiving 2013! I almost had a heart attack when my precious BUFFY spewed blood from her rectum! Little Diablo then did too. By this time, they were beyond weak. All I could do was pray!

I found a vet who let me post date a check to Dec. 3rd! Hydration of both through needles, vitamin B-12 shots for both, antibiotics twice a day and another medicine, Vetri-MEGA PROBIOTIC once a day each! My fur babies have to suffer because Hills CHANGED THEIR FORMULA! Why? I OWE THEM MONEY BY DECEMBER 3RD! Hills should pay us all for what they put us through and for what? Now, I wait to see if my pups will survive this horrible ordeal that was totally unnecessary. They should have let people using the old formula KNOW! Flyers in the stores that sold it, something! I pray for our pups and for those who have lost theirs because of this NEW POISON.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2013

Please BEWARE of this food and read the ingredients. My vet recommended this food for our Basenji when he came down with stones in his urine (it is Hills U/D food)....Not knowing any better and trusting our vet, we gave it to him. A while later, his liver enzymes went through the roof and he was diagnosed with Liver Cancer. Later on, I read the ingredients in this food. It begins with water, cornstarch etc etc..... I later found out that all corn now is GMO (genetically modified)........ In retrospect, I would have rather had my pet come down with stones again than have to feed him this food. Doctors only take 1 course in Medical School on Nutrition. PLEASE read the ingredients before you purchase food for your pet..... BTW, if the first ingredient says chicken or turkey MEAL pass on it....... Meal can mean anything from bones to beaks.... I hope this helps someone.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2013

My Boston has been on SD since he was a puppy - he's now 6.5 years old. Petco was out of stock of Science Diet Adult Light Small Bites Dry for about a month or so in the two stores I frequent the New Orleans metro area. I bought the large bites instead. I noticed he would let the large bites sit for hours instead of normally gobbling down his food right away. Now, he's back on the small bites and will not touch it.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2013

I have been feeding Science Diet cat food since my cat was young and he is now 15 years old. I was made aware that when they did an ingredient change last year, to slowly introduce the new formula food with my old bag because the formula has changed. My cat has never had extra vet visits besides his annual ones. I am completely satisfied with this food. Thank You.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2013

I've had my female Pug on Science Diet Light Small Bites for almost 6 years. Recently, after their formula change, she became violently ill. She would vomit every time she ate. She would eat her treats, but wouldn't touch the Science Diet food after a few weeks of her eating patterns getting less and less consistent. I just changed her food and now she's fine! There are so many other reports of this happening, I think it's outrageous that nobody is saying anything. I called the company and they offered me coupons... REALLY???!!!! What idiots. I will be writing letters to other companies and news outlets to expose this disaster. Switch your food immediately if you know what's best for your pet!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2013

My Afghan hounds almost died. I posted an entry I think it's #124, early 2013, Virginia Beach, VA. Just want to say I put them on to Acana then Orijen. They have eaten the brand since they fell ill on the Science Diet new formula. The change in food helped them recover. I have not seen any problems with them in stomach or stool in almost a year. The older dog also has seen coat itch stop and has his hair filling in on the ridges of his tail and tip of nose. He is 9. I am surprised and pleased. The Science Diet was garbage in my opinion and I am glad my dogs are alive. Orijen seems to do well for me though recommendations are seldom taken in by others. I know it is expensive but I would rather not bury my animals this week. Try a different food. It really might help your animal.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2013

My 13 year old dog has been on Science Diet I/D for the past 3-4 yrs and recently she has been hacking. At first when I noticed this, she was grooming herself and thought nothing of it. After a little time passed, I would see her hack again, but noticed she was not grooming herself. I was concerned, so I took her to my Vet who I've used for the past 27 years. After x-rays and ultra sounds, she was diagnosed with an enlarged heart chamber. This after dealing with liver enzymes levels increasing over the years (approximately same time period) I was horrified! I took her off the Science Diet I/D and put her on a limited ingredient diet and liver enzymes which were at 1600 dropped to 800. (200) is considered normal. This and adding heart medication was the only changes I made to her routine. My vets all agree the heart meds wouldn't have lowered her levels. I would STRONGLY ENCOURAGE anyone using Science Diet to stop using it as your pets health is at stake!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

In the last few cases of Mature Adult Gourmet Canned Turkey Science Diet, there was a 1/4" air space along one side of canned food. The exposed edge of the food was much darker in color. I am concerned about this since over the 10 years I have used this product, there has never been a problem. Anyone else have this problem? The manager of the store did not run into this before (I opened 2 of 4 cans). Could there be a problem with the canning process that allows air in the can?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2013

Science Diet Indoor Cat Dry - Hills changed this food this year and the result is horrible. My cats still hate it and do not eat a lot of it. Also, their bowel movements have been terrible since eating this food. I am in the process of changing them to another brand.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2013

Unfortunately I found this page before I lost my beloved Manny. We have used Science Diet for 10 yrs for our "children". On this particular occasion they were out of our normal bag so we purchased this one. New and Improved??? Within a day our pets became ill, but we didn't know what could be wrong. They all were very lethargic and experiencing diarrhea. One of the ones not acting right refused to eat and we thought perhaps he just didn't feel well. So the next night when we tried to feed him he again refused it, by 2 a.m. that morning he was gone. We finally thought of the new dog food and went and purchased the old bag, the one we had always used and within days everyone was back to somewhat normal.

I began investigating what could have happened to Manny and looked this dog food up online and was led here. I cannot believe that I paid more money so that he could have the best nutrition and it killed him. I will never purchase ANY product from this company again and will throw away the 2 full bags that we have now. Manny is back home now in a little box, with a cast of his foot print. He was an amazing friend and he was our child for 10 wonderful years. We are devastated and heartbroken and his brother and sisters look for him everyday. SHAME on you for what you are doing to our families!!! I pray this never happens to anyone else and the suffering stops.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2013

Took my dog for a check up. Changed her food to Science Diet. Several months later, she passed away from cancer.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2013

Took in a stray many years ago. Fed her Science Diet from the start. Hairball Control. Recently, decided to change to the mature version of same food. Cat lost weight, went through bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. I bought a small bag of the "old" food and things have righted themselves. Gaining weight back and no vomiting. Will find another food that suits her if Hill's is producing products that sicken pets. Appreciate the info here on this site.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2013

I have been feeding my cats Science Diet for over 25 years. They have always been healthy and happy. This recent change in formula to the Science Diet Hairball Light formula has caused my cats (12 yo) and (3 yo) to howl in pain, vomit, and have very hard stool. It is a shame that they changed the formula so drastically that the many animals are in distress. My 12 year old white cat almost stopped eating completely. Fortunately, I had been watching his behavior to see if he would adjust to the new formula. I tried the Hairball light and Mature indoor formula as I had to give him a low calorie food for weight loss. Both formulas caused them distress, the Mature one they just stopped eating. They were down to 1/2 can of light wet food for the both. I spoke to my sister a vet tech and she said take them off before they get sicker. I had tried Nutro in the past but it was so rich it cause them to have loose stool. I switched them to Nutro Max Intro Weight control and miraculously my 12 year old cat appetite is back. Day 3 he had vomiting and stinky stool but ever since they have both been happy and active again. It seems to be helping with chin acne too! TRY NUTRO MAX INDOOR WEIGHT CONTROL.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2013

My miniature schnauzer just turned 8 years old. Due to the advice of our vet, she has been eating Hills Science Diet, w/d food for a couple of years now. Within the past two years she has had several health issues. First she became lethargic, started vomiting, (couldn't even keep down water) and had bloody diarrhea. We had to take her to the vet. At that time, he insisted we change the food she was on then, to the d/d because he thought it would do her the most good as he thought she had food allergies. He also diagnosed her with pancreatitis. She stayed with the vet for a few days getting some IV fluids. We picked her up and took her back home and fed her the d/d. She never really returned to her old self. Then one day I noticed that she couldn't see her toy when I threw it. I took her back to the vet and she was diagnosed as blind. I mean it was basically overnight! She was only 7 years old then. He told us there was no cure.

Then, this past May 30th, we had to take her back to the vet because she had several bumps (on her face, muzzle, neck and belly) that looked like some kind of rash or something, but had pus in them. He did some tests and said she was suffering from a severe food allergy. I asked how that could be since she was only eating the d/d food that was supposed to be for dogs with food sensitivities. He basically told me to my face that he didn't believe that all she'd eaten was the d/d. He insisted we must have been feeding her something else. He insisted we keep feeding her the d/d but I told him, there was no way I would feed her anymore of it because I knew it was all she'd eaten. Her stomach has been so sensitive that we don't even buy dog treats for her.

So, we left there and my husband said we were done with that vet. About a week after that, our dog began to vomit again, every time she ate, I found another vet in our area and took her there and was told that she had pancreatitis yet again. Now after several tests, we have been told that most likely she now has pancreatic cancer. Now we are probably going to lose her soon. We have spent over two thousand dollars on this little dog just since May 30th, 2013. I can't help but worry that some, if not most of her health issues are because of these Hills Science Diet foods. Especially now that I have read more stories and heard other peoples' Science Diet woes.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2013

This week I took my 12 lb rescue dog to the vet for bloody diarrhea and vomiting. His liver enzymes were very high. He has been eating Hills Science Diet for Small Breeds for about 6 months now! I am so angry and sad after I read the other reviews here. I thought I was buying a good quality food for my little guy! He won't eat it anymore!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

I am wondering what dog and cat food to feed to my animals. I have fed SD for over 30years. My neighbor has lots of dogs and twice she's tried to feed SD and her dogs have bloody diarrhea and are throwing up. Then another friend of hers lost two very healthy puppies after within 2 weeks feeding SD. The vet checked and they had intestinal stress. I love my dogs (all around age 10) and my cats (both about 3) and I don't want to lose them. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I have been blessed so far and haven't gotten any of the new formula. My neighbor and I compared food and they are different shades. She must have the new formula. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette with SD. Help!!

Original review: July 24, 2013

Our seven-year-old dog was having problems urinating so we ran some blood work and did a urinalysis. In our otherwise healthy male dog bladder crystals had formed. The veterinarian prescribed him Science Diet U/d to help with the formation of the crystals. About two weeks later, he was vomiting blood and had bloody stool and was lethargic. Took him to vet and after all kinds of tests it came back; his liver count was in the two thousands!! It's supposed to be in the two hundreds! Also the bladder crystals and vomiting blood had no relation. The vet's office seemed to think my dog had eaten something he shouldn't have. Which this is possible but really impossible for we are very aware of what's around. Our pets only eat pet food.

Our dog was then put on Science Diet K/d which is for renal health and also prescribed Denamarin to hopefully bring down his liver enzymes. Once his liver enzymes started dropping the vet wanted us to put him back on the Science Diet U/d. I was very skeptical since it was too much of a coincidence that he ended up ill after eating the Science Diet for a couple of weeks. My vet talked to Hills Science Diet and they said they don't think it was from the food, that they have not heard of other incidences.

After reading some reviews about the Science Diet brand and others' experience of the same, I am convinced it was the food! He now eats Royal Canin. So almost $700 later for a weekend of treatments to keep our dog alive, and $50 a month (for the last 3 months) on prescribed Denamarin, a big THANK YOU goes out to Science Diet!! Who would have ever thought a $30 bag of dog food would bring your pet so close to death's door!

Original review: July 23, 2013

My Lab Tess was only 5 years old when we lost her. A year before that I put her on the Science Diet Diet plan that for some reason was only out for less than a year. It came with the bone snacks as fillers. She lost 21 pounds in a year. My vet was very happy with her weight. Shortly after she started this diet she started vomiting uncontrollably to the point it would take an hour or more comforting her to get it to stop. We were taking her to the vet and they were treating her for reverse sneezing and later, a gastric infection.

After waking up one morning to find her almost in shock, we took her back to the vet and decided to take her to a specialist who did an ultrasound to find "what they think" is gastric cancer. I did my homework on this condition and it normally only happens to MALE labs 8 to 10 years old. Very rare for my then, 4 year old lab. She was a house dog who went to work with me everyday in my law office, traveled to Utah and WY several times a year and was constantly watched. She was trained not to get in the garbage and she never chewed up anything. SO -- Why would this happen?

I worked really hard with exercise and the diet plan to get her 20 pounds off. I did, then she was diagnosed with gastric cancer. Why was the Science Diet - Diet plan so popular and then all of a sudden I go to get more and it's off the shelf with no warning and no explanation.

$5,700 later, just to try to save our girl and no real answers because it was so rare for her, I need to know why Science Diet took their Science Diet plan off the market so suddenly. Tess came from a very good breeder with no other puppies having this problem. I think we all need to get more answers from Science Diet, who never responds to my product questions.

Original review: July 18, 2013

I have three cats who have been eating Science Diet since I adopted/rescued them (the one I've had the longest has been eating it for 8 years). I've always felt very proud that I am able to provide my cats with a top-notch food purchased directly from the vet. But I recently brought home a bag of C/D formula and they absolutely refuse to eat it. They hover their bowls and sniff as if there's something foul-smelling in them - then they back away from the bowls. I've tried the "They'll-eat-when-they're-hungry" tactic but it's been over a day and they're still not eating, so I have to go find a suitable replacement food today.

I'm very concerned by all of the recent complaints about Science Diet listed on this website; clearly something in the food has changed in recent months. My bag does not say "New Formula", like some of the other complainants have noticed (perhaps the Canadian packaging is different?), but I trust my cats' behavior: they are not overly finicky and they are clearly telling me that something is wrong. Given all the health complications that seem to be arising, I'm relieved that my cats have just decided to refuse the food. Still, at $23 for a small bag, I'm cheesed off. Good cat food is a luxury that I permit in my budget, but my pay check doesn't allow for this kind of waste.

Original review: July 10, 2013

I have two cats and I started feeding them the SD new formula of Light Diet. My older cat started to vomit the food after a couple of days. It seemed like he was not chewing the food since the pieces are small. We switched them to SD Hairball Control Light and the same thing happened with the older one. He then stopped eating all together and began vomiting liquid. We took him to the vet this morning and they couldn't find anything wrong with him. I took him off the SD and switched back to Royal Canine. This evening my little one started vomiting the SD. I will never buy SD again. :(

Original review: July 7, 2013

I have fostered for a rescue for 4 years now and they always use SD. I am an office manager for a local vet and we have recommended SD for the last 15 years. I have been employed at the clinic, without issue. Earlier today, I was very upset. I have 4 cages with kittens I am fostering totaling 17 kittens. ALL are on SD. I opened a new bag the beginning of the week and noticed instead of the kittens eating it, they were spilling it on the bottom of the cages and crying at me. It has been 5 days and I thought something was seriously wrong with the kittens. They were ALL losing weight, had loose stool, some were vomiting and they were very thirsty. I was/am very concerned about them and decided to try a different food. Purina Kitten was what I brought home. I was shocked when I tried to put it in the first cage. The kittens rushed to the bowl and one bit down on my pinkie; he wanted the food so bad. I am pissed. It was the same result with ALL the kittens.

The sad part AND red flag was they acted like this when there was a full bowl of SD kitten in each cage. 1 bottle baby that is now 7 weeks had refused to eat the dry food. I put the Purina in and guess what, he ate it. These babies starved themselves because it was making them sick! I am asking the rescue to do CBC SMACK and DIFF panels on two of them to see where they stand. I AM informing my boss of what is going on AND asking him to switch companies for our RX food. The sad part is I have 4 more bags of SD and I don't know what to do with. FYI, my feral cats wouldn't touch it either. I just found out today about all these complaints and you need to do something. There is a big issue here. I feel so bad for those whose pets have gotten ill. I and others trusted your company to provide quality food for our pets/rescues. If you want to keep that trust, do something; at least tell us you’re looking into it!

Original review: July 6, 2013

Our dog became sick and weak. Took him to vet. $500.00 later, they really found nothing. Gave him antibiotic, etc. I stopped feeding him his Science Diet Large breed mature adult dog food and he is getting back to normal. Just bought a bag of Science Diet, but he is not going to eat any more of it.

Original review: June 30, 2013

I have used SD for a very long time, 5 or longer years and I have many cats. I didn't have a problem until they went to the New and Improved formula. One of my cats, 5 yrs. old and overweight, became sick within days and had exploratory surgery and they could not find anything. Did x-rays. Spent mega bucks - $800.00. The cat was vomiting liquid for 3 days and was constipated. He would cry and vomit the food up.

Then after surgery, we had to try and heal up his incision. I have changed the food and he was doing better, but now he is eating some of the old food and the symptoms are coming back. No more... I'm staying on a different cat food. Not sure what.

Original review: June 29, 2013

A month after switching my cats to Science Diet, my 12-year old cat started vomiting, having mucus in her stools, eventually stopped eating, became lethargic, and started symptoms for a dying cat like hiding. I took her to the vet and her liver enzyme count was through the roof. She eventually passed away three days after her vet appointment, which involved her staying there for three days with pain meds, anti-nausea meds, IV Fluids and something to calm her liver. I'm not saying it was the food, but now, my 13-year old cat is having the same symptoms. I just hope it's not too late!

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
      www.hillspet.com