2. Pets

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Science Diet Reviews

Original review: Sept. 27, 2014

Our 4 year old male Maine Coon needed to lose some weight, so our vet recommended we try a new cat food for him. A little over two months into him being on the Hills Science diet Metabolic food, he developed a urinary tract infection, his first one ever. He was put on pain medication and antibiotics. When he went back three weeks later for a recheck, he now had crystals in his urine. After doing more research I have found out that other pets have become very ill and others have died from like experiences. I have obviously stopped feeding my cat the Hills cat food and will never use it again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2014

Science Diet Indoor Mature Adult 7+ Dry Cat Food. Same thing is happening to me as another reviewer. Bought a new bag of cat food and cat is turning away from it. This has never happened before. I've been trying to make him eat it for days, poor thing. He'll nibble but then beg for something else. Stamp says expiration Best Before 2/16 R 10 5 0057 TK 191. I just opened a new bag with expiration 3/16 and he's scarfing it down so, think something was wrong with that other batch.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2014

Found mouse in the bottom of bag. We have a 15 year old golden retriever and it made him very ill. We have him on antibiotics.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

I bought Hill's Science Diet Soft Savories Chicken and Yogurt Snacks for my dog on Saturday September 6. He initially couldn't get enough of them, and I probably gave him more than I should have. By Friday 9/12/2009 he was listless, not eating anything and when I rushed him to the vet, the vet said he was in kidney failure. Today is Saturday and my poor dog Smiley is still not eating but staying at the vet hospital on an IV in kidney failure. I visited him today and he is still on IV and won't eat.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2014

Purchased "Mature Adult 7+" for our three cats. First bag was okay. 2nd bag... they started to reject it. After a week 1 -- Cat #1 threw-up 10 times in one day, and started to refuse it. After week 2 -- Cat #2 threw up. Concerned that their product may be tainted. No meaningful contact available at Hills.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

I just changed my dog's food to the toy and small breed adult food. The bag was the same pictures in recall. My dog is vomiting and lethargic so I checked to see if a recall was in place and it is but not for Idaho. I think it should be expanded to include Idaho as I worry other pets are sick also.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I have a 5-1/2 year old Papillon dog (born Nov 2008) who was diagnosed with multiple allergies when 1 year old and put on Hill’s Science Diet ZD Ultra dog food and allergy treatments. The beginning of June 2014 he stopped eating. At first I thought it was his usual slow down on eating due to the summer heat. But then it went on for a week, and wasn't pooping and drinking water like crazy. Vet found his colon full and cleaned him out thinking that was the problem. Several days later, still not eating. They did a barium follow through and found swelling in a part of his bowel and liver looking strange. Sent him to OSU vet hospital for an ultrasound and scope. Found his liver discolored and strange coloring in the small bowel. Our vet performed surgery to biopsy the small bowel & liver. Ended up removing 20% of his liver which was dead and said the rest of the liver looked like cirrhosis. Also had an infection in the folds of the small bowel.

They thought it was cancer but was not. Gave him about 3 months to live. Started him on several liver supporting meds and tried to get him to eat. Tried Science Diet A/D - wouldn't eat. Tried Science Diet L/D - still wouldn't eat. At this point he had lost 5 pounds (30% of his total weight - was not over weight to begin with). In the second week of August we stopped all Science Diet food and started feeding him fresh cooked chicken breast. He started eating and within a week has gained 6oz. and his liver panel tests started looking better. Went to a dog food store that specializes in grain free, chemical free dog food. Met the owner and he told me horror stories about Science Diet and illnesses. Started adding some of dog food they recommended to the chicken and he ate it (previously tried mixing the Science Diet foods with the chicken and he picked it out & left it). Now slowly changing him over to the new food. Just wondering how many others have had the same issue and if there is any proof against Science Diet and if any lawsuits have been issued to Hill’s Science Diet.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2014

I have had my 3 dogs on Science Diet Light and then would rotate to can Science Diet. My Pomeranian started throwing up yellow bowel and drinking a lot of water. I took him to the vet. Said he had reflux and put him on nausea pill. The vomiting continued. I looked on website and found these - took him and my other dogs immediately off of Science Diet. Will never use again. My little pom is doing great. This product should be researched and tested more thoroughly. My boxer and other dog is also not eating grass and gassy now.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

At the beginning of January, I switched my 11-year-old Pomeranian's food. He started to act sluggish and stopped wanting to eat his food; yet he was hungry for anything else. I thought he was just begging more than usual so I continued to make him try his new food. He started to have slight diarrhea and then was shaking one night. I stayed up with him and took him to the vet in the morning. I couldn't think of what could have happened to my energetic and healthy dog. Then the adventure began:

The initial visit to my vet revealed elevated liver enzymes. I opted to take him for an ultrasound. The night before the ultrasound, I thought about the situation and Googled, "Science Diet and illness". I found this forum and others and started to feel awful. I had been feeding my dog something that was making him sick and he had even tried to let me know. Thankfully I am in Columbus and had the best experience at OSU Veterinary Medical Center. We spent a lot of time trying to find out why my dog was sick. He started to get low platelets in addition to the high liver enzymes.

I brought up the Science Diet question and they couldn't conclude that's what it could have been. We tested him on about everything under the sun. He eventually got better and $1800+ later, we were back to healthy. I spent the last half of January afraid for my dog's life, taking time off work, and wondering how I was going to continue to pay his bills if he didn't get better (I would have done it regardless).

Conclusion: there was no definitive reason why his liver enzymes increased. The doctors were stumped and it became a case that everyone was looking into because it was odd. The Metronidazole that my vet gave him on the initial visit might have been the cause of his low platelets. I was lucky to have a team on his case and the students found those rare case studies. When he stopped that medicine, his levels came back to normal; but again, can't say for sure.

What I can say is that I saved some of the Science Diet food and if there is ever a law suit, I will be right there with everyone. I have been meaning to write something on this forum and think about it occasionally. Without reading these other cases, I wouldn't have thrown out that food ASAP. I am so sorry for everyone that has lost an animal and I am so grateful you helped me not lose mine.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

My vet recommended Science Diet light to help my cat lose weight. I starting feeding her little bits at a time mixed in with her wet food. Her hair started to change, each hair had a black plug at the follicle, a potential indicator of some sort of toxicity. I brushed it off and continued to give her larger and larger amounts of this food and less of her wet food hoping for weight loss that the vet wanted. WITHIN 5 DAYS OF FEEDING MY CAT ONLY SCIENCE DIET LIGHT SHE DIED OF KIDNEY FAILURE. Perfectly healthy before Science Diet.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

I have 2 terriers/shih tzu yorkie-maltese mix. They have had a history of pancreatitis so we have always been very strict with their diet, only feeding them science diet dry and can dog food, no treats, We boil chicken or dry dog food is their treat. They got their vaccines: heartworm etc in may 2014, so I don't know if this started things but I stopped the science diet due to the vomiting and diarrhea and gave them boiled chicken and rice. Every time I reintroduce the can science diet they start vomiting and diarrhea non stop. Now after seeing a specialist-vet, ultrasounds, blood test and over 1000.00 later, the one terrier has been diagnosed with adrenal gland problems, bloating and frequent urination.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

I gave my Maine Coon only one teaspoon of the wet food for his first experience since my vet recommended it. He was staggering and falling all evening and I refuse to give him any more! I spent $70 yesterday for a bag of the dry and a case of the wet - will try to get my $$ back.

Original review: July 29, 2014

Copy from 4 Paws University - In addition, corn may inhibit your dog's natural ability to send sufficient serotonin to the brain. For dogs that are over-excitable or have problem behaviors such as aggression, this can exacerbate problems. Serotonin is an important chemical that reduces stress and anxiety. Recent studies suggest that low serotonin levels can lead to impulsive behavior, aggression and other behavioral problems.

I fed my puppy Purina One puppy formula and he had the runs but was a happy Clown. Then I had him on a different dry food that did not have any corn products and he was a healthy happy clown. I ran out of his food and bought SD Large Breed Puppy food two days ago. The first day he smelled it and ate some. What normally took him 30-60 minutes to eat took him all day. I thought it was due to the change in food. Today was the same problem with eating. However, My happy Clown boy turned into Satan. He started Jumping, and scratching and barking and being "sassy".

It was about 9pm when he went into over drive and got extremely hyper (more so than normal for a puppy) almost Manic and aggressive. He never nipped at a face. Fingers, toes (we are working on that) but never a face. He would not calm down and could not turn off. I decided it had to be the food since it was the only change I made. He got his exercise today and nothing out of the norm until this evening. I removed his food bowl. He had half of his daily feeding still in there, and filled up his water bowl to the top. He had water in it so don't go thinking he was dehydrated. I just wanted to get him to drink some.

Puppies are curious creatures and if there is a change, it must be good and it was. It worked. He drank some water but I still had to sit with him and hold him in place until he was calm enough to just chill. Then, I read this web page and several others and most have the same comments about SD. I am glad I took the bowl away and I am glad it was only a two day issue. I will be cooking for him for the next week while looking for a good company that actually cares with a product that actually is helpful and not harmful. Shame on SD for putting animals through this for your shareholders. You can be profitable and ethical at the same time.

Original review: July 14, 2014

My dog has been on this diet for several months. She has doing well until the last batch. The first three meals from the bag she threw up. The fourth she refused to eat. It look like she took a bit and immediately threw it up and refused rest. This is a dog that never refuses anything. I gave her chicken and rice and she ate it without throwing up. For several meals she has been fine. I offered the food again and she threw it up. The food in the bag was discolored and the smell was off. I think there is a quality control issue with ingredients. Will be returning and cooking for her until I find a replacement low fat diet.

Original review: July 10, 2014

My nightmare started last month. To make a long story short as possible, I had to take my 13-year-old JRT to the ER vet. He just wasn't acting right. Not wanting to go for a walk, drinking a lot wanting to eat a lot. He was diagnosed as a diabetic, but wasn't responding to insulin. He was diagnosed Monday night. By Friday night, he developed a large lump on his stomach which was in the process of being tested, but by Monday the lump ruptured. He had an X-ray and the lump was invasive and growing so rapidly we were advised it was cancer and he wouldn't survive surgery. He was put down 6/9/14. I figured this was age, even though he hadn't been showing signs of issues.

On 7/3/14, my 10-year-old Rat Terrier started vomiting and was taken to the vet. In 10 years he only vomited 2x, so I knew something wasn't right. The week prior, he was to the vet for a checkup and blood work for his upcoming dental appt. When I called the vet to get him in, they reviewed his blood work and advised he was diabetic. I thought for sure they mixed up the lab work on the dogs; they didn't. I was in shock. Lab work was done and his liver values were off the charts. He stopped eating and drinking and had to be hospitalized over the 4th weekend (Thursday-Monday).

All the DRs advised something was going on with his liver and could be a complications from being diabetic. This dog was not sick prior to this issue. He wasn't overweight, drinking or eating more than he should. He didn't show any signs of any issues. The Drs also advised he wasn't acting like a true diabetic and said it could be due to another issue. Today after trying everything we could to help him I had to put him to sleep. Exactly 1 month to the day from my oldest dog. Drs advised both dogs could have had cancer which impacted glucose readings.

I could accept 1 dog having an illness, but 2 dogs dying within a month with similar issues. I have read many of the complaints and see a trend with liver, digestion and diabetic issues. With so many complaints, how do they not want to check the safety of their food? I am $7k + into vet bills and both my "kids" are gone. I would have done anything to save them, but their poor little bodies were shutting down. My dogs were on SD lite for 5+ years and only noticed changes in how they reacted to the food this year. I do not believe this is a coincidence. One vet even asked if the dog was poisoned. Please, some get this food tested, if for no other reason to prove us wrong. I am devastated at the loss on not only one, but 2 dogs in 1 month.

Updated on 01/09/2015

I posted a review in 7/2014, (which is posted). I also filed a complaint directly with Hills, which went nowhere. I have been frustrated with this process and the lack of a voice for my dogs that suffered a horrible death. I fully attribute the death of my dogs (1 month a part) to feeding them Hill Science Diet. All I have asked is for Hill to test the food or admit they have changed something with their food. I just learned that the FDA has a department that deals with pet food complaints. I encourage anyone that has issues with their pet food to contact their local FDA rep (posted on the FDA web site by state) and report the issues. Hang on to everything (medical records, tests, food, and samples). Report the issue quickly so they can get samples if they feel there is something to investigate. I wish I would have known about this department sooner. I have just started the process with the FDA, but they seem very willing to take the info and advised they may even test the food. They keep track of the complaints and seem to take action when needed. Call the FDA! I am after 6 months (now that I know) and they are still willing to listen.

Original review: June 10, 2014

Recently I purchased a can of Science Diet Minced Gourmet Turkey entree for cats (mature adult 7+yrs). I wanted to try out what I thought would be a healthier alternative wet cat food and my local pet store sold it. I found a large, round chunk of bone about half an inch thick and the size of a penny in the cat food. Either one of my cats could have choked and/or broke a tooth on it. I immediately threw out the can. ( I am curious now as to the company's mincing process) I will not purchase Science Diet again.

Original review: June 8, 2014

I have just purchased a bag of Science Diet - Hairball for my Persian cat. I'm worried about giving it to her due to all the negative reviews. Has anyone had an experience with the Hairball food? Thank you for your help.

Original review: June 7, 2014

Suspicious of Contaminated Hills Science Diet in Florida. My boys are also refusing Hills Science Diet (Ideal Balance) #'s 2278 & 2284. One of my boys (Shih Tzu age 8) has been to the Vet and the cost continues to rise. The question my Vet ask "Has he been poisoned?". So how many pets must die or get ill before more RECALLS are called?

Original review: June 7, 2014

Had been feeding my cat the Hills science diet CD food, the bag I bought in early May. We started to use it when we finished the last bag about a week to week+ prior to my little girl cat's death. In 3 days time, she went from playing, to throwing-up a few hairballs to throwing up bile. Her kidney values were so elevated they were off the charts - my vet called them unreadable. 6-5-14 I held her as she was put to sleep. She was on the CD after trying other choices following her bladder surgery in 2009. The physical test my vet did before the blood work Weds, showed small bladder (not full/blocked), normal amount of stool in colon, she had lost 2 pounds but did not feel thin.

I would like to know the previous person's lab results on the food being tested - I have the rest of this bag and would like to do the same. The lot info on this bag is: R 30 42350 AV 030 Best Before 08 2015. My current concern is for my boy cat who was diagnosed in very early stage kidney failure and is on the Hills science diet KD. He is now gulping, I am making an appt. for him today. I now wonder if using the name "Hills" instead of "Science Diet" has changed the term coined years ago for the product: "Science Death"....

Original review: June 4, 2014

My lab is a year and 6 months and has been on Science Diet food since he was 8 weeks old. On Saturday, May 31, 2014, I purchased a 38.5 lb of large breed dog food. He would not eat the food on Saturday and into Sunday. He would go to his bowl and smell it but just walk away. Finally Sunday he ate a very small portion of the food. On mind he began to act very Uncomfortable and not his ordinary self. He was pacing around the house and mostly sleeping. Later Monday evening, he ate another small portion of food and shortly after began to act sick again. After that I picked up the food and researched to see if there were any recalls. I also contacted his Vet, which said there were recalls but not in Florida.

I contacted Science Diet consumer number 800-445-5777 and was abruptly told it was not the food and it was sure to be something else wrong with my dog. I explained to her that I just purchased the dog food Saturday and wanted to return it. I explained that I have my receipt and the UPC for the bag but no longer have the bag because I store it in a container for freshness. She told me that I would not be able to return the food as it may not be their food. My next question to her was, "So I'm a liar?"

My assessment with Science Diet is that 100% satisfaction guarantee is not completely accurate and they do NOT care about the animals they feed. If your animal gets sick on this food or any food, I encourage you to contact the Vendor and make a complaint. If we do not do this, they will not address the issue.

Original review: June 3, 2014

It started with my mother-in-law. She had a cat that became diabetic and he was really bad. So because we knew the symptoms of being diabetic one of our cats got it. Then about a year ago, our other cat also became diabetic really bad. The only thing in common is the Science Diet.

Original review: June 3, 2014

I woke up early, worried sick about my cat. For several weeks now he has had diarrhea, bloating, and he is very lethargic. It began with an explosive case of diarrhea - large volume of feces with lots of blood and mucus in it. It happened after I switched him to Science Diet Light. When he began feeling sick I figured, even though I transitioned him slowly, that something in the food disagreed with him.

After the first bout of diarrhea, I took him to the vet immediately and stopped feeding him Science Diet. $500.00 so far. He is on antibiotics and a probiotic for one week and is no better. So today, I flip on the news (which I never do - because I couldn't sleep) and lo and behold... Science Diet recall. I am certain this is what made my cat sick. What do I do now? How do I help him get better?

Original review: May 22, 2014

First of all, cats should not live on dry food. Cats are carnivores. They eat meat. Dry food doesn't exist in the wild. For this reason, dry should be occasional if at all. Second of all, cats should not eat grains (corn starch, wheat, etc.). Their bodies do not digest it well. Guess whose products are riddled with grains? That's right Science Diet. Who uses "meat by-products" in their food? Right again, Science Diet. Who received an FDA warning about the havoc its food is wreaking on animal health? BINGO!!! Science Diet.

Does it sound like I am a crusader against this McDonald's equivalent of pet food? You're ** right. This stuff is pure poison and much like McDonald's is killing the pets who eat it. I've attached photos of the labels of a can of Weruva and a can of Wellness. You'll note that it is real food. Note the only one with "meat by-product" and grains is Hill's. Disgusting.

Original review: May 17, 2014

I had brought both my 8 years old, indoor only, cats to a VCA animal hospital around April 2014 just for a routine check up. The vet did full panels of blood work, including fecal and urinary exams/tests to check on their general health. My female cat came back as pre-diabetic because of the dry food and she was overweight, so the vet recommended a strict wet food only, Science Diet MD feeding plan. My male cat was in perfect health, but she recommended me to add wet food into his diet. When I started feeding my female cat the wet MD food, my male cat loved it too! They both went from strict dry food only diet to a wet food only diet and within a month, their coats were beautiful, and they had more energy.

After a month, my male cat started getting diarrhea, and shortly after my female got it too. It's been a never ending battle of vet visits and tests to try to figure out why both my cats are vomiting and having diarrhea. Now, the vet is prescribing the Science Diet ID for a week, with pro-biotic and antibiotics to help cure the almost explosive diarrhea. My male cat became very lethargic and had to get fluids due to the dehydration. My cats have lived healthy and happy for the 8 years up until now after switching to the Science Diet MD wet food. I believe it's something in the food or the protein source. I've been to the vet 4 times in the last month because of these issues, and there is no reason the vet can find that is making them ill. My female cat is currently at the vet because of diarrhea, vomiting, and not eating. This cat eats everything, but the last two days she would not touch her MD. It's got to be the food!

Original review: May 11, 2014

The humane society has recommended this food. Haven't had any problems thus far. Just started the adult indoor from the kitten version. Will get back to my reviews whether good or bad.

Original review: April 21, 2014

All these complaints for Blue Buffalo, Hill's and Nutro sound the same. Same illnesses, same symptoms! Something fishy going on. We as humans die of certain diseases, and we don't blame the burger we ate or the food. Cats and dogs can get illnesses over time. It's not the food… it’s YOU! Fake reviews indeed. BTW my cats thrive on Big Macs! PS: My cats don't eat Big Macs. But they thrive on it. Do you believe me?

Original review: April 17, 2014

After reading all the negative reviews on this site, I just wanted to express how happy I have been with Science Diet for over two decades. My current three dogs did just fine when the formula changed, and I have had no problems with their health their entire lives.

Original review: April 15, 2014

I used Science Diet dry dog food since 2009 when I got my first Toy Fox Terrier starting with the canned and then dry puppy food and moved up to the next age for dogs after age 1. I also used it for the next 2 dogs I got, a Toy Fox Terrier and a Yorkie. They all did great on it. Due to a chronic illness I suffer from, I had to find very special new homes for my two Terriers but kept my Yorkie. Sometime around the end of 2013, I noticed she became very lethargic, would not eat or drink much and started having accidents and she was housebroken. She had another accident and I noticed it had blood in it.

I took her to the vet and they put her on antibiotics. She got better but in about 2 weeks, same thing again, but with a fever and respiratory problems so I took her back to the vet and after X-rays and a urine culture, the vet said she had an extremely enlarged thickening of her bladder and did not understand what could have caused it. She also had an E. coli infection which the vet felt was not causing the thick lining of her bladder - Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds for a month. I read while searching for causes of her problem, where Science Diet ID Dry was causing kidney failure and other health issues from contamination of two chemicals so threw it away as I had just switched her to that kind and that's when I realized she started having problems. The Science Diet canned was suppose to be okay so switched her to that. She still continued to not do well so I now have her on a new Holistic dog food and she has not been sick anymore.

This makes me angry that she could have died and that it may have done permanent damage to her kidneys and bladder. I trusted this brand since it is sold at almost every vet office and thought it was a high quality dog food. If you start researching the ingredients that (are) listed, it really is not a high quality dog food. Very disappointed that I was trying to keep my dogs on something healthy and paying more for what I thought was a good quality dog food :(

Original review: April 6, 2014

I am so upset with what seems to me to be a money maker for your company and the vets.. Dog food that I can only buy through prescription... Come on... it only makes cents for you and the vets.. This is just crazy... Lost another customer.... Please explain this action if you can... Like I said I think it only makes cents and not sense...

Original review: March 31, 2014

I am going to make my story to the point as much as I can. 3yr old lab eating SD Lite perfectly healthy..... THEN THIS: Starts showing signs of bloat, vomits, agitated, gacking, drooling, licking, stomach extending. Dog is having normal bowel movements. Was at night many hours after his dinner. Sickness lasting several or more hours. He did not throw up after eating which is deceiving. 2 emergency vet visits. First one they operated due to gas and unidentified objects. (My dog licks and eats things to make himself throw up.) They gave him meds and changed him to SD gastro food. Second visit... extreme gas. Many tests and 3,000 dollars later, they didn't find anything wrong. Vet said some form of Pica (which I knew was not). Told to keep diary and on 24 hr watch.

Diary showed: Normal bowel movements, every 4 or so days he would get sick. He only got sick at night many hours after eating. Was normal with normal appetite all day. Fast forward: He went 19 days with slowly being taken off all the meds and still on SD gastro. Decided to wean him off of the Gastro and back on SD Lite (I have two other dogs that eat it) so I gave him a handful mixed in with gastro.... That night he was sick again!!!! I have been watching this dog like a hawk. The only thing it could have been was the SD Lite. I am taking all my dogs off SD all together. The trouble it put my dog through... the stress and worry it put me through makes me want to scream... not including the over 3,000.00 in vet bills. I have been using SD for over 20 years and felt assured my dogs would be healthy... little did I know.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
    www.hillspet.com