Science Diet
2.75/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Science Diet Reviews

Original review: March 3, 2014

I picked up a new bag of SciDiet Light on Friday 2/28/14 from Petco. Tonight I opened the bag and noticed a weird clear plastic-looking substance in the bag. I thought it was probably part of the bag that had fallen inside during packaging, and although alarmed, grabbed a paper towel and reached inside to remove the 'plastic'. UGH. It turned out to be a slimy, sticky substance that I removed and dropped in the sink. I went back to the bag to see if anything else was in there and was horrified to see more of the slimy crud as well as three large winged insects climbing up from the bottom of the bag!!! I closed it immediately to keep the bugs from escaping then put the slimy crud back into the bag (and was thrilled to see even more bugs crawling around in the bag....) zipped the top, rolled the top down and securely taped it shut. I plan to return it to the store tomorrow!!!

I had purchased two bags on Friday, and my dog's bowl was empty so I decided to open the second and see if it had the same problem. It did not. But, had I not looked into the first bag before filling his dish he would have at the very least eaten infested food and most likely the slime-crud as well. Tomorrow I'm getting my money back and changing foods immediately. From the posts here - it seems like something is wrong at the factory and SciDiet needs to fix it NOW.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2014

My dog has ate SD for years. I just bought a new bag a couple weeks ago and after reading all the posts I am now positive that the bag I bought is bad. He never misses a meal and from the time I opened the bag he wanted nothing to do with it. He ate it and got really sick. After a couple of weeks I bought a different food and he seems to be doing much better.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2014

I purchased a bag of the dry and 4 cans of the wet S/D food this week. The vet told me to absolutely keep this AWAY from my other healthy cat. That alone made me weary to feed it. My cat has bladder stones caused by Natural Balance LID, which recently moved to the diamond factories, surprise surprise, and was prescribed this food as a last resort to surgery. She would NOT eat the wet food. She tried to cover it, and would not even eat her favorite food on the same plate three inches away. Worst, when she ate less than a tablespoon of the dry food, even mixed with her normal food, she vomited. And I don't mean just a little. She threw up seven times in less than a few minutes and to the point that she was vomiting white foam.

I saw somewhere that this formula could cause stomach upset on an empty stomach. How are you supposed to feed it if they aren't hungry?? And no food should cause vomiting within ten minutes and certainly not the violent vomiting I witnessed. She is suffering enough and in trying to help her I have just made her worse with this experience. Now when I try to feed her she runs and hides. Fix your food! You are one of the only companies that sells these prescription diets. I pray a reputable company soon figures out the need for a quality line of prescription care and puts this company out of business.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2014

Back in November 2013, I tried SD I/D for my GSD because the vet wanted him on it because of diarrhea. He was in good health at the age of 13 1/2, but after eating SD I/D he started coughing. I knew this was not normal. He started laying around and he was not that type of dog even at his age... This happened suddenly after eating this CRAP!!! He started hanging his head low and could not walk at all. His body temp. dropped low and the vet came over and said he has severe bloat and I didn't know. I wish I knew the symptoms so I could of got to the vet sooner. With bloat they could die very fast.

The vet said that there was nothing they could do. It was too far gone and my beloved Max needed to be put down because he was dying in pain. I am crying as I am writing this and I saw the pain he was in and I feel so bad that I feed him this FOOD! I knew not to feed him this Science Diet because I NEVER would feed him this. He always got homemade meals with high quality dry. Please be careful when feeding this food!!! If anything DO NOT USE THIS FOOD!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2014

My four dogs have been eating Science Diet Advanced Fitness Original Formula for the past year or so and have been fine. After purchasing a new bag tonight however, they are vomiting. I am very concerned. The timing and correlation seems so clear that I wanted to research if anyone else was having this problem - if there was a recall or known poisoning of the food or anything, and found this site. I'm going to switch to another brand of food to see if it alleviates the problem. They better investigate what's going on. I will be extremely upset if there are any longer term or more serious effects.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2014

We have fed our schnauzer Hills Science Sensitive Skin for about 2 years without any noticeable problems until I read these posts. He did have blood on his stools sometimes, now that I think back about it. But since he wasn't really suffering in any other way we thought it was nothing to be alarmed about (and, it's also worth mentioning that he did have diarrhea and vomiting off and on but we never associated it with the food. Our thinking was that just because the brand was recommended by his former vet).

So, it never raised a red flag to us until recently when we bought the latest which is the new and improved batch. The pet store did not carry the older versions anymore. He never seemed to want to eat it. His food bowl would sit uneaten for 3-4 hours then, maybe, as he got hungrier and hungrier throughout the day it would slowly disappear. So, that bag was painstakingly consumed and we bought another one. This time, he didn't seem to care for it at all but we were used to that kind of reaction anyway, based on that first bag. He will eat it sooner or later, we thought.

The first bowl of it that we gave him he vomited. Okay, maybe that was just something else he might have scrounged off the ground during our walk so gave him broth and rice for a day then went back to Hills Science Sensitive Skin after he got better. He again vomited it up, had diarrhea and became very lethargic. This was when I knew definitely that his condition and the food had some connection since we never feed him anything else but 1-2 treats a day (and those days are very rare).

So, I am now taking him to a new vet to be looked at and see the extent of the damage that Hills Science Diet has done to him, chucking out the remainder of that 15-lb bag (less 2 cups), and adding my complaints about this food product to your site. I am not really the type to worry much about my dog but after having read all these posts, I am now beginning to think that my schnauzer has been suffering all this time and I didn't really know. Thank you very, very much for all your postings!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2014

I first noticed my cat asking for his daily night time wet cat food sooner than usual. Then I noticed he was trying to eat people food. I could not understand what was going on. I usually have the kids feed our cat, but today I fed him and noticed he has not been eating his Science Diet cat food (The new formula). I called the place I bought it from complaining that I got a bad bag of food. Then I did some research and found this site. Thank you to everyone who posted. I will be taking my cat to the vet tomorrow to make sure no damage has occurred because I fed him this food.

This was a trusted food we used for 4 years, I can not believe they have hurt animals like this. I ran and warned our animal shelter and bought them new bags of another brand of cat food. I feel lucky that he did not really eat the food, but so mad because my cat has been starving, due to a dangerous junk product. Has anyone tried to visit the Science Diet website? I have and weirdly can't get on, this tells me they are fully aware they have poisoned our pets!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

Used Science Diet Adult Formula for a year & a half with not too many problems for my beloved 13 year old Maine Coon Leo. Just bought a bag of the "new & improved" formula. 2 weeks ago he began violently vomiting alternately, clear & foamy white, also uncountable trips to the box, disgusting diarrhea, sometimes mixed with what appeared to be blood! Thinking it was a tainted canned food treat, I stupidly continued feeding him this, and the conditioned worsened. He got a completely disturbing look to his face, eyes and walk, weird crying, etc. Found him in a corner of the basement hiding as a dying animal will sometimes do.

Thank the Lord I found this website. Saw all the same symptoms these other unfortunate people & pets have endured and immediately stopped feeding this crap. I fed Leo Starkist Tuna water (If you are trying to save your Cat that had Renal failure symptoms, It’s works like a miracle, Please Try it) which hydrated him and overnight he improved! I am now feeding only Fresh pet chicken formula. Not a single vomiting episode since, and well formed stools are now the norm! He is now mostly back to his energetic playful self and now loves this food.

PLEASE people, don’t feed your animals this SD stuff. There is Obviously a serious problem here. My wife called the Science Diet Co. direct, and the representative claimed this was the FIRST phone call or complaint they had received?! Shame on these "people" for lying and misrepresenting this food to us and any other distraught people who are looking for answers!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

Started a new bag in mid-January, "New and Improved" Formulation, which we had been using for years (well, not the New and Improved). The 3 cats walked away from it. While having one cat walk away is not that uncommon (cats... they are so picky sometimes), 3 is unusual. Came back from work, food had been eaten. Shortly thereafter, Ziggy, the smallest cat (he is a very lean guy) was salivating seriously, chest was soaked, he was listless, was trying to drink unsuccessfully. He threw up water.

By Sunday he was very sick, so off to vet ER. He was severely dehydrated, and had some sort of bowel blockage. He was cleaned out, re-hydrated, had signs of kidney failure, pancreatitis, and gastrointestinal inflammation. Vet wondered about any changes at home, thinking cat may have consumed something poisonous. By Tuesday Zig was recovering, so came home. He was given SD that evening and by morning, back to serious drooling, lethargy, vomiting. And now Jackson was doing serious salivation, was found on a comforter soaked with a large circle of drool. Off to regular vet with both.

A third cat, Ernie, also had started mild drooling. Finally a vet from the ER clinic, who is a personal friend of one of us, took Zig in for a full hard look, as a favor, using Zig as a "demo" patient for instructional purposes. Included an ultrasound, more tests, and rehydration. Same problems as before. About this time, one of us came across this website. Zig, normally a very lean cat, was by now a bag of bones. Stopped the SD, changed food entirely. Zig started improving immediately, and after a week, all are well. Zig is gaining weight. It's the food. The "New and Improved" SD is the path to death, fortunately not for our cats.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

I have been feeding my boxer Science Diet all of her life - almost 6 years now. On January 5th, I purchased a new bag of food and within days my dog started to having what I now believe to be adverse reaction to the new bag of food. She began having diarrhea. She is a chow hound and nothing keeps her from finishing a meal, but she began not eating at all. Initially she would take boiled chicken and rice, but eventually turned her nose up to that. I took her to the vet, who sensed she had some abdominal discomfort, but wanted to take a conservative route with antibiotics and a continued bland diet. We went home and began the course of antibiotics; however, she still wouldn't eat, only consuming pieces of chicken I fed her by hand.

Fortunately, she continued to drink. After a week of antibiotics she still was not eating. We took her back in for X-rays, which showed several pockets of gas throughout her intestines. Fearing there could be a potential blockage, we agreed to a series of very expensive barium X-rays. Those removed any question of a blockage but did show severe irritation of the stomach and intestinal tract lining. It was determined her lack of eating was caused by severe nausea and abdominal pain. We continued on several prescriptions to ease the discomfort and nausea in the hopes we could get her to eat while the irritation healed. Another week went by and she was back on the chicken and rice and seeming to be on the mend. After a few days of eating almost regularly I reintroduced a small amount of her Science Diet Large Breed Light hoping to transition her back to regular food.

By the 3rd feeding she was AGAIN having diarrhea and her appetite decreased. I do not still have the bag with the lot number, but have thrown away the bag and will be changing brands. I really do hope that Hill's will take these accounts seriously and do some investigation. This last month has been completely scary, stressful and a significant financial burden. I URGE ANYONE WHO NOTICES ANY SLIGHT CHANGE IN APPETITE OR BOWEL MOVEMENTS IN THEIR PET THAT IS EATING THIS BRAND TO IMMEDIATELY MAKE A CHANGE. I hope that providing this information will help others avoid the problems myself and my Boxer girl Bliss have suffered through over the last several weeks.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

I have had my 13 year old border collie "Benn" on Hill's KD for about three years ago for elevated kidney readings one time around age 9.5 yrs. Once on the KD Benn's kidney readings returned to normal. All was well until we opened a recent bag of food on Saturday, February 8th, 2014. Benn had three meals out of the bag and became very ill. This dog has never missed a meal in his life. He LIVES TO EAT! But there is something wrong with this bag of food. He would not eat it this morning and was almost non-responsive, panting, and I suspect in pain. We went to the vet immediately... CBC, Blood Chem, x-rays all have revealed nothing except a little gas in his stomach. He was running a temp of 104.5, he is extremely lethargic to non-responsive, heart rate up, labored panting type breathing & standing with his head in the corner of the room. He would not drink, would not be affectionate like he normally is and WOULD NOT EAT.

Thank you to everyone else for reporting they had problems because you may have saved my dogs life. I too was trying to hand feed him the kibble and would have kept trying to feed him. I took to the internet to see if there was perhaps a recall on my dog's food, I found your warnings and reviews and I take them seriously because I know my dog has never refused any food ever. He'll eat lettuce for goodness sakes. With all of these problems, I cannot believe that Hills is not taking this seriously and issuing a recall or warning! I will be changing Benn's food and returning the bag he will not eat.

And to Hill's - please be fair to your consumers and act to find out what is going on here. I was a loyal customer for years but something is very wrong. The bag of Hill's KD I purchased has the following written on the bag to identify the batch: best before 05 2015 R 18 9 1458 AM 291. We purchase our dog food from VetSource or Pet Food Direct online. Please if other reviewers and complainants will add this batch info to correctly identify which brands and batches are affected it may help others.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2014

I can only state factually that this dog food is making all 4 of my dogs vomit since I bought the latest bag on 1/17/2014 - but based on other reviews below, I suspect it is producing life-threatening damage internally (see other reviews below which proceed from sickness to death). Within 2 weeks of starting a new bag of Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach, all 4 of my medium-to-large dogs are gagging and vomiting. The only dog that is fine is the Chihuahua who eats a different brand of dog food that's appropriate to his size and age. My dogs have no variables in their diet, and twice daily each gets 1 cup of dog food, which is 80% another brand, and 20% Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach (the Hills has always been good, for years, for keeping them regular).

Two weeks after starting a new bag of Hill's Science Diet (bought 1/17/2014), all 4 dogs are vomiting. Based upon the similar reviews below, I think it is fair to conclude that there is something wrong with the new (or at least this batch) of Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive stomach. To be fair, since I just saw on this forum that there's deadly product being sold and fed to our pets, but I have NOT had a chance to take my dog off the Hill's Science Diet, watch them stop vomiting, and then return them to the Hill's Science Diet and see the problem return (and my heart bleeds for those who have done this - clearly the people below have proven that this release of Hill's Science Diet can kill). I am promptly putting my dogs on the other brand which has always been 80% of their diet, and will report back the results in a few days. Unfortunately, as always, I think it will be difficult if not impossible to prove a vendor responsible, people can always claim variables in your pet's environment and health.

MAIN OBSERVATION: I think the fact that I always proportioned my dogs food as 80% other brand (Hundenflocken Gold) and 20% Hill's Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach is why they have lasted 2 weeks just vomiting, and not advancing to lethargy, passing blood, and worse.

ADVICE TO ALL CAT AND DOG OWNERS: Diversify (like people do on the stock market) your pet's food to a MIXTURE of 2 pet foods combined - in this way, I believe any risk of a bad batch of food will be LESS harmful and buy you more time to understand the cause. And of course talk to your local pet store owner (I know they don't always listen, but sometimes they do, you have to at least try), email friends, and of course check and add your experience to forums like this one.

PS: I had the same thing happen a year ago when I tried Blue Buffalo - all dogs throwing up within 1 week and forums listing the same; if you're using Hill's Science Diet and need an immediate alternative, Hundenflocken Gold has not caused us problems in the past.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2014

RE: NEW FORMULA... Read between the lines, people: MY FAVORITE QUOTE FROM THEIR OWN BAG: "High quality ingredients make litter box cleanup easy!" (Yeah... Translation #1: When your cat(s) are dead, you can throw the whole litter box thing away. Translation #2: Their food is designed for your convenience - tiny little turds for you to clean up; BUT, it's NOT designed for your cat's health or convenience.)

My two cats finished less than ~1/2 of their very first "new formula" bag in ~two weeks. Within ~2 1/2 weeks after starting our first "new improved formula," my healthy 17 yo SOUL MATE that I'd had since a kitten was dead. The other 4 year old feline was puking, too. I think I know why, too. (Having been around animals - farm and domestic - for a few decades I know where to look.) IMHO, GET AWAY FROM SCIENCE DIET! DON'T WALK... RUN!

RESULT: ACUTE RENAL FAILURE. It's a side effect of my little discovery. 5 days fighting to keep my suffering pussy cat alive - sleeping with him and giving him his own little ICU 24/7 - wouldn't save him. I had to put him down at ~5PM this afternoon because... on top of everything else... he had traces of bleeding out both ends by yesterday afternoon. Traces of blood out of his mouth (from gastro juices)... and a lesser amount from his behind (what do you call gastro/mucus fluid that comes out of your butt?). I got him to the vet last week... before he actually "went down" on Saturday (try finding an "internal medicine" vet on a Saturday or Sunday ain't easy!).

"Cumulative symptoms..." Non-specific regurgitation and other gastro disturbances... followed by strange stools, followed by 1-2 days of lethargy, followed by my "suspicion," followed by a strange gait, followed by my "definite suspicion," followed by staggering and loss of balance, followed by scheduling an appt for the next day, followed by my pussycat shaking (UNUSUAL) each of his back legs 5 times in a 10-15 second period (he hadn't been in his litter box), followed by rescheduling the appt to a same day emergency appt (that afternoon), followed by lab work, followed by the next morning he was "down" and couldn't walk, followed by "There's nothing I can do. Need internal medicine specialist," followed by 5 days of living hell, followed by involuntary euthanasia (I loved this cat so much that I almost couldn't do it).

I think trial by combat is appropriate under the circumstances... don't you? Science Diet Execs (Topeka KS "Redlegs") vs The Outlaw Josey Wales (Old Clint Eastwood flick). Why waste your time arguing with an army of corporate lawyers? These people just killed my best friend and 'child.' "Seems like we can't trust the white man." Get away from SD... NOW!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2014

When we adopted our little 4.5 kg 4 year old Schipperke 3 weeks ago, we were told that Hills Science Diet Small Bites was what he had been fed so we bought a bag and at $35 for a 4 kg bag it is expensive. We got him home & he wouldn't touch it, so we just left it & he did eat some when he got really hungry then he vomited it all up. We put it down to excitement at his new home but decided to feed him other food.

2 weeks later we tried him on Hills again, he still wouldn't touch it so we added some gravy thinking that may entice him to eat it it did but he vomited & was very lethargic for the next 24 hours. The sad thing about this is that professionals are recommending this food with no idea it is making our pets ill. IF he had been fed Hills Science Diet he would be dead by now. We live in Australia so it is affecting pets worldwide. Please do not feed this to your pet!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2014

My 4 year old rescue dog, Pretzel, has done fairly well on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. There have been times when his stool was just right and others when it was very soft & runny, and he has always had very stinky gas. Starting in early January 2014 he started having bad diarrhea, scratching constantly and loosing hair. He has also been very angry and quick to react with other dogs which is the polar opposite of his true personality. After going to the vet, he was put on a steroid & probiotics. The steroids made him drink water like crazy! Which made him pee all the time, sadly in the house as well as outside. The probiotics that were supposed to harden his stool were not working at all which is highly unusual.

After a week of explosive diarrhea and continued peeing all over the house, I took him off everything - all meds from the vet & his Science Diet kibble. All he was fed was ground beef & rice. His stool was harder almost instantly. He stopped scratching. I started adding in a wee bit of kibble to start getting him back to normal and within hours he had diarrhea again and more scratching and hair loss. I have since learned that he might have an allergy to the grains in the kibble. Funny how this reaction was so quick after they changed the formula to more natural. If he is allergic then why has he not shown any symptoms until now? I am very sure the two are correlated! I can tell you I will not be feeding my dog any more Science Diet products ever again!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2014

I have fed my cat this for several years. He has always had stomach issues, loose stool and occasional vomiting. Very thin. Even with this food. I bought and opened a new bag on Jan. 18th. Everyday he would eat and immediately throw up. Finally I thought there has to be something wrong with this food. I started researching other foods to see what I could find that would be comparable. I was looking and comparing ingredients. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the one I had been feeding thinking I was helping my poor cat, to discover the main ingredient was Brewers Rice and no meat at all. It does list Liver Flavoring however.

Needless to say, the bag went back to the Pet Store that night and I switched foods. I had to just switch all at once as I was not going to keep feeding my cat that food. It has been 2 days now and he is slowly learning to like the new food. His stool is perfect and no vomiting. I am just warning everyone out there check the ingredients in your pet food. Most animals who have Food sensitivities. Grain products are at the top of the list. I for one will never buy another Hills product.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2014

I am having the same Science Diet issues as many others. Both my cats had eaten the hairball light formula for years and loved it. Recently noticed them acting funny, crying, vomiting, and then finally refusing to eat. I switched the food out with a can we had and they gobbled it up! Upon investigation, discovered ALL of these same cases, some leading to death. I have emailed Science Diet and warned my family & friends. Just unbelievable. There can be this many of the same stories. Hoping there is no serious damage, and will be switching brands immediately.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

Every can of hill's KD dog food there is some missing, today I opened a can and about 1/3 of the can had AIR in it, I have called hills and was told it was their processing, Sorry I don't buy air for well over $1.00 a can..I also buy Pedigree for my other dogs and guess what no air. Is this another scam like breyers Ice cream going from 1/2 gal to 1.5 qts. and raise the price, well if hill's does not correct this problem with their dog food, I will find another food for my dog.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

Tried SD ideal gluten free and it caused vigorous vomiting within 15 minutes of only having 1 tablespoon. Was downright scary... She threw up multiple times but then seemed ok after that. Will be watching her closely next several hours and NOT be feeding her SD. Going in the garbage.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2014

After feeding my cats Science Diet for many years, I bought a bag of the New & Improved formula of Active Longevity cat food in early January. It made them extremely ill: they vomited several times, acted lethargic and aloof for several days after. After this they would not touch the food anymore. I finally had to get a completely different brand of cat food, and they ate this and started acting like themselves again. I ended up throwing away the entire bag of Science Diet because I am convinced something in the New Formula made them sick. I would advise pet owners to stay away from Science Diet food!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

Started Pearl, a red cattle dog, on Jd for mobility problems but noticed that she began groaning when sitting, panting heavily & had a lot of staining around her mouth. The vet thinks she has either Cushing's disease or a liver problem, but tests are inconclusive. I think the only change has been the food. Has anyone else had these symptoms in their dog?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

We lost our 3 year old kitty this past Saturday. She died of Kidney failure and our vet thought she had somehow been exposed to poison. We have searched our house completely and were stumped on how she could have been poisoned. My husband remarked this morning about her cat food. I decided to research and found this site. We purchased the new and improved adult light formula just 2 weeks ago. I am sick thinking this food may have killed our Allie!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2014

We have been using Science Diet dry food for over 5 years with no problems but within the last two-three month the dogs have been sick at least three times. Each time we took them off their kibble and put them on a mild soft food. Each time they got better then they got sick again as soon as we started to reintroduce their Science Diet kibble. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stool. Vet gave them meds to sooth the stomach but it did not work. What did work was to take them off the Science Diet kibble. We are finished with Science Diet forever. There is something wrong with this food.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2014

We adopted Omalley when he was 3 and half years old. He was a beautiful cat and all his own animal. The vet we go to said he needed special food because he was a stray and we agreed to Hills cd cat food. He did not like it and would scratch the floor around his dish. Sooner but probably later, he would eat it. After awhile he started throwing up. We thought maybe he was getting into something down in our basement. The throwing up got worse and when he was 8 years old, he passed away. How sad we were. I believe the Hills cd cat food was the underlying reason from what we observed and have been hearing about cat food. Our first cat Chiquita never had any problems until she was 22 years old and she ate Fancy Feast, canned. I tried Omalley on Iams for older cats and he liked it, but it was too late.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2014

I wish that I had knew about this information before I opened the new bag of Hills Science Diet dog food. I thought that it was the Hills Science Diet Fruity Snacks because that was the only thing new in his diet. But I had also purchased a new bag of Hills Science Diet dog food and he wouldn't eat it so I hand fed it to him. Only if I had known I was killing my Buddy Ray. He finally stopped eating and drinking water, became lethargic, throwing up, drooling, diarrhea and then had clear blood from his rectum. He couldn't even stand up or walk. I started giving him water by syringe and pureed food in blender and put into syringe. I couldn't figure out why he got so sickly so fast because the only thing that I changed in his diet was HSD Fruity Snacks. I never dreamed that the new bag of dog food did it because he had been eating that brand for about 9 months and gobbled it up. I am so sadden with grief and despair at myself for hand feeding Buddy Ray this food that was killing him and finally did. I hope that no one else lose their beloved companion and best friend. I love and miss you Buddy Ray. <3 <3 <3

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

I was going to wait until I had more information but it seems like the word needs to get out! We recently lost our 4 year old cat due to what we strongly believe was the new formula of the Science Diet Adult Light cat food. He had always eaten this food with no problem. The last bag we purchased was the "new and improved formula". About two weeks after he started it he became very sick. Lethargic, diarrhea, stopped eating, in pain and hanging out in his cat litter box. We took him to the vet who ran many tests and they could not find anything. They sent us home and told us to feed him anything just to get him eating again. Went and bought a variety of foods that he immediately started eating and within a week he was completely better and back to normal.

Without knowing we put him back on the Science Diet and within days he was sick again. Again to the vet... more tests and nothing conclusive. Not knowing why this was happening I started researching the internet and found this site with all the reviews! I immediately started him on the other food again which he gobbled down. Unfortunately this time it was too late and he could not rally back. We are sickened and saddened by this. Fortunately our vet was concerned enough because she could not find a probable cause and contacted Hills (Science Diet). Even though they had only had a few complaints they have offered and are paying for our cat to have a necropsy to determine the cause of death. While it will not be 100% conclusive because of the time lapse in his death I feel like it is a start.

Honestly I hope it was not the cat food. However... even if the food was not the cause of death in our cat I feel there are WAY TOO many stories regarding this food. I am in the process of trying to get the company to come get the remainder food and test it. And in our case I believe it is way too coincidental that he got completely better and then immediately got sick again on the food. I only want to spread the word so that others can be spared. Unfortunately only people who come across this website will read these stories. And for us it was too late. Please inform everyone you know...

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

We have two five-year old cats that have been fed Hill's Science Diet almost exclusively since they were adopted as kittens. About two weeks ago, we bought a new large bag of the Adult Light variety they have been eating for four years. We noticed it looked a little darker and greasier - the "new and improved" formula -- but didn't think much of it. Within a few days, both cats were "off" their usual eating routines, not coming to eat immediately and not cleaning out the bowl. One of my furry girls has a susceptibility to kidney problems already, but had been active with a good appetite and otherwise healthy. Within a week on the new food, she was lethargic and dehydrated. I took her to the vet and her kidneys are suddenly failing rapidly. While I know there was previous damage to her kidneys, the rapid onset of symptoms seems odd, and corresponds with the change in food. And the second cat, who has always been completely healthy, seems lethargic, isn't eating much and has been throwing up more than usual (vet visit by the end of the week if she doesn't seem better). I strongly suspect something is wrong with the food, as that is the only variable in their diet, exposures and routines over the past few weeks (they are 100% indoor cats).

Original review: Jan. 7, 2014

I raised my 7 year old tabby on Science Diet. He loved it and from what I was told it was one of the best foods for him. WAS being the key word. I bought a bag of the new formula because that's all the stores had. Figuring SD knows how picky cats are I trusted their experience. I didn't think anything of it until my cat won't eat any of it. I noticed that the food looked different. I went back to 2 pet stores asking if they had any other complaints or recalls. Of course that was like talking to the wall.

I reached out to the people of SD and they instructed me on how I need to mix the old food with the new food. NO KIDDING. However there's no more old food. So I went to 10 different pet store in my area looking for an old bag. I was able to find a store that had 2 bags of the old stuff left. Just opened my 2nd bag and started to mix the old with the new only using a 95 to 5 ratio. My cats isn't having any of it. So now what? Clearly SD doesn't want to help and from reading all these reviews it looks like I'm not alone. Any suggestions on what to switch him to????

Original review: Jan. 4, 2014

I was going to change my dog food for my Great Dane and introduced a small amount of Science Diet to his regular food in the evening. The next morning, he was bloated and dry heaving. I took him to the vet where it was verified that it was bloat and emergency surgery was done. Afterwards, dr told me surgery went well but his heart was having troubles from the stress and he later died. He hadn't run around or done any of the typical things that can cause bloat before or after eating the night before. Only had some of that food.

Two months later, I have a new puppy and am feeding him the same brand of regular food that had been fed to my Dane and scooped some out of the outside tote that I didn't realize until later that there was still some of that nasty Science Diet kibbles in that tote and he was sick within a few hours of eating a very small amount. If I had the money, I would've had a necropsy performed on my beloved Dane but I didn't and I incurred a very large vet bill for trying to save his life. If it hadn't have been for his heart having arrhythmia, the surgery would've solved his dilemma. I still mourn his death and feel responsible because I believe it was the Science Diet food that caused him to bloat and caused my pup abdominal distress as well.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2014

I have raised my 6 yr old tabby on Science Diet; however, in November 2013, I bought their newly improved cat food. Within a week or two, my cat started throwing up every other day. Then every time he ate. He's lost 25% of his weight. Quit eating, became dehydrated. Was admitted to hospital, IV's, testing, etc. We can not find anything causing his ill. Came home with ID prescription cat food. He became healthy and quit throwing up. Put him back on Science Diet. Throwing up all over again. Bought some more ID cat food. Not throwing up anymore.

In the two weeks of 2013, I have spent damn near $1500 in vet bills and hospitalization, only to find out his illness seems to be linked to his consumption of this latest batch of Science Diet cat food. I have always sworn by Science Diet and have always always trusted Science Diet. But never again! It damn near killed my fur baby!

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
      www.hillspet.com