2. Pets

Science Diet

4.1/5 (267 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Science Diet

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Science Diet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Science Diet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

We mostly feed our dogs either Pedigree dog food. Our dogs have never experienced any adverse health problems from. Normally we feed both dry and canned food.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

Due to my dog's medical condition my vet strongly advised to switch to Science Diet. It seems this dog food has improved his coat, is more active, enjoys his walk more. Science Diet may be more costly, but the end results are indeed remarkable. My dog acts every day the puppy I once knew. I am not saying this food is a medical phenomenon, but seeing these results, but it made my dog the puppy I once knew. Seeing my dog acting like a puppy once more makes me want to be a little kid again. I highly recommend Science Diet to my co workers, friends and associates.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I use the science diet because of my dog's inability to not eat plastic and other things. Just wish there were more choices than the I/D brand and less expensive.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

Raised Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Dalmatians. No other foods provided the appropriate nutrients as Science Diet. Breeds we raised were healthy and satisfied with dog food selection. Other dog foods were purchased. However, breeds were not fond and would not eat.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I have three dogs. A large breed senior, a toy senior, and a large breed puppy, so I purchase three different Science Diet dog foods. Large breed senior, toy breed senior and large breed puppy foods. All of my dogs enjoy the food, it's easily digested and a nice size.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

I add a spoon of wet to her daily amount of dry.. Lately the wet is not soupy enough as it used to be.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

Our Dogs were like us (getting old) and our vet recommended the Science Diet brand. Our dogs did not do all that much better on it at first, but then their coats smoothed and they seemed to be able to run better. One of our dogs was a red Doberman and with their bad backs, I would recommend this brand of food.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

My dog always vomit or diarrhea when I give him these brands. Always afraid that I will have to take him to the vet. With the Alpo wet he gets diarrhea even when mixed with dry food.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Over the years I have had 4 dogs and currently still have 2. I have always fed them all Science Diet Dog Food and they have always been satisfied with the product. Most of all and also most important, all my dogs have always had a good bill of health when making routine vet visits.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

Few weeks ago my brother brought home this food for my little overweight dog. First day loved it but after he wouldn't eat tried mixing with other food but still wouldn't eat. He started hiding the food and going through trash which he had NEVER done before looking for any food. The week after starting he had dropped close to ten pounds even after we began to feed him other dry food mixing in wet food. Currently 10/7/15 he is underweight, shaky, very tired, and has lost control of his bladder.

In the 5 years we have owned him he has never been one to pee in the house but he is having MULTIPLE accidents in the house now. He has lost all interest in food until we bought the Rachael Ray zero grain due to the first ingredient being Lamb then chicken and mixing it with wet canned food with minimal additives. Have made a vet appointment for him in a couple of days. Hoping for the best as he seems to be eating slightly more on this new food. Will update.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

Our Beloved Havanese Daisy was only 5 years old and she was dealing with bladder stones. They never seemed to bother her and I never would have noticed she was having an issue until I was watching her urinating frequently and had had a few accidents in the house so the Vet put her on the Hills C/D canned dog food, to hopefully dissolve the stones and avoid surgery. So we bought a case and she loved the dog food and actually begged for it (which she never did before). Well after 11 cans (1 can a day) we woke up to find she had vomited all through the house, after being so playful and energetic the day before that we actually thought the food was working. We hoped that this was something that would pass and waited the day to see how she was.

She did drink some water and was still urinating so we were hoping this would pass. The next day she wasn't any better so we brought her to the vet. They put her on IV for the day and did an x-ray which didn't show much and gave us another food to try in the morning. The next morning she wasn't any better. We brought her back and they thought she may have an obstruction and needed surgery. When they opened her up they discovered her pancreas was no longer functioning. There was nothing they could do and they had to euthanize her. Needless to say we were absolutely heartbroken as well as our 12 & 10 year-old girls who adored this dog and she adored them.

This was something that could have been avoided had we and the vet researched this dog food. One of the causes of Acute Pancreatitis is a high fat low protein diet which is exactly what that dog food is. It had more fat in it than any other kind of dog food we fed her, but we had faith our vet knew what they were doing. This dog food is full of chemicals that can kill humans: **. Our beloved Daisy had no issues except for bladder stones and was perfectly fine until she started this dog food and after 11 days she was dead!

This company needs to be stopped and stop killing our beloved pets. After bringing this to our vet's attention they supposedly talked to the vet from the company and were kind enough to wipe our bill clean which I'm sure means they know more than they were admitting. But that doesn't bring our dog back, and I am sure no vet is going to admit their dog food kills dogs. We are heartbroken because we had the best dog and now she is no longer with us but we don't want anyone else to go through this either.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2015

We have been using the Science Diet food ID canned for our dogs. About a month ago the dog wanted nothing to do with the food. I smelled it and it didn't smell right to me. I opened up another can and it was somewhat better. My dog would only eat half of it. He is NOT a fishy eater. He has eaten less and less for a couple of weeks now. He was 26 lbs. and is now 21. I took him to the vet who did a thorough exam and extensive blood work and could find nothing wrong. I knew I had to do something, the dog was crying from being hungry. I mixed up some chicken and rice and he ate right away. This makes me believe that either something has changed in the Science Diet formula or the dog will no longer eat it because some of it was bad. This dog has always been a good eater and never been picky. He has gotten lethargic. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this with this food??? Help?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2015

We got two puppies about a year ago. The lab had constant diarrhea. Explosive. Not pleasant when you are trying to house train when she couldn't control it. We tried adding rice, pumpkin, etc. Things would be better, but not great. And rice has no nutritional content. Tried medication to no avail. We tried Blue varieties. No grain varieties. Nothing worked consistently or well. And her poop reeked. You could always tell her poop from the others because of the smell and the consistency.

Our vet finally suggested Science Diet ID. Within 2 days her poop was perfectly formed. Perfect consistency. Looked like plastic because of how perfect it looked. She had always had reddish eyes and thought that was just her. But after the food, that improved too. I do also give the wet food mixed in because the other puppy prefers softer food. So they both get a little of that mixed in. They have been on it for about 3-4 months now and no medical problems that I know of. I think because the poop looks perfect and based on the vet stating that science diet is the perfect nutrition that we didn't even need to taper off the old, for her that it really is the perfect nutrition. Problem is that is expensive and two feed the two of them is a lot of money every month. I can't take one off because the husky is picky and if she decides to not eat, then the lab will swoop or sneak in and eat whatever is left.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2015

I have had Labrador Retrievers for over 20 years. I have always fed them Hill's Science Diet. Not only do they love it, but the quality of this food will show noticeable changes for the better in your dogs coat, eyes, and nose. No other food makes our dogs' coat shine like Science Diet. If you have Labradors, I highly recommend that you disregard most of these reviews and try it. I have never heard of dog food alone causing a dog to die. Once, our puppy ate a third of a 40 pound bag in the middle of the night. He threw it up, and was hungry again 12 hours later. Most dogs love Science Diet.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

I am lucky to have my little Min Pin with me tonight. He had been on the Hills W/D since being diagnosed with diabetes. My other two dogs are on Purina Small Breed with no problems. On the second day after starting the new formula W/D, my little guy began having diarrhea, vomiting, and severe swelling in his abdomen and backside (his sphincter went from 1/2 inch to over 2 inches in diameter). I called the vet in the middle of the night, but he asked to wait until Sunday afternoon. When he saw my baby, he immediate admitted him. He diagnosed him with a mass in his abdomen, so I expected the worst. I brought him home on Wed. so he could die at home. But I also started research and learned our experience was the same as others.

I started feeding him pumpkin, chicken, eggs, and some raw veggies. Thur. I called the vet and said I would bring him in to be put down, as he was so miserable. Friday morning, however, he had perked up and kept improving. Within a week of chicken and veggies, then changing to Fresh Pet a week later, he was back to himself and has continued to improve. He's better now than he's been before the diabetes set in. I got credit for the cans of W/D wet food, but was not given a refund for the dry food because it was open. I will never use any diet or prescription food again. BTW, all my dogs eat raw veggies for snacks (baby carrots, pepper slices, even green beans). Oh and no more "mass" in his abdomen.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2015

I am writing this so that no one suffers such a tragedy. My daughters beloved 7 perfectly healthy yr. old Lab, Shadow died yesterday. She was having to travel for work and left him with me. My vet changed my dogs’ food to Science Diet KD on July 24 and right away I noticed that all 3 had mucus, black diarrhea within 2 days. All three begin to eat grass and had unquenchable thirst and frequent urination and watery eyes and lethargic. I called the vet and asked if this was normal and they assured me that it was. I was bringing Shadow back to his mommy on August 8, and noticed that Shadow was very antsy and I kept having to stop to let him urinate and his thirst was out of control. In fact, my 8 yr. old long haired Chihuahua, Babis who had never in 8 years had wanted to take a drink on any of our trips was acting the same way.

I called my daughter and told her that I felt something was wrong. The morning after we arrived, I went to let the dogs out to urinate and Shadow, who had never ever had an accident, lost control of his bladder. We immediately made an appointment and were told that they thought he had Cushings. On Sunday the 10th, I noticed something wrong on left eye. His pupil was dilated. We took him back on 11th and were sent to a specialist. He thought Shadow had a tumor on the back of the eye. After X-rays, they found no tumor. He lost sight in that eye and 3 days later, his right eye did the same. He was losing control of his bladder and then developed drop jaw, couldn't drink nor eat and begin to make horrific breathing sounds and was bleeding out of his mouth.

My daughter was staying up all night with him and was taking to the vet almost every day. She finally opted to take him to Kstate Medical School of Vets last Monday where they ran an MRI. They said they thought he had a mass on his brain that was affecting his eyesight, causing him to be lethargic, eat. They told us they really had no explanation to what was happening to him. They gave us some rigged up tape harnesses to help him eat and drink. We brought him home that evening and tried to give water and dog food soup to no avail. I went and bought a turkey baster and proceeded to stay up all night trying to hydrate him in any way possible. He threw up all night and kept bleeding every time that I gave him water.

The next morning by 7 am, we were back at the vet. They gave him Cerenia for nausea, that was supposed to last 24 hrs. and some under the skin IV. The vet said she was really concerned about his breathing and his organs and then proceeded to tell us that we were in hospice mode and to make him as comfortable as possible because she felt that his kidneys were shutting down! We brought him home and felt like we were witnessing a comeback. He drank and was able to keep it down and even slept, which he hadn't been able to do since this all began. By 8 that evening, we could see signs that the anti-nausea meds were wearing off because the unquenchable thirst and throwing up were back. Needless to say, we were up all night again with the same horrifying things.

At 6 am, we gave him water for the last time and he stumbled horribly and lost control of his bladder. At that point, my courageous daughter made the choice to have her truly beloved Shadow euthanized. We couldn't stand to see this beautiful creature hurt anymore. We are devastated. Has anyone else's pets gone through this??? This is horrible and nobody else should have to go through this. Now, we are concerned about Babis because he is showing some of the same signs.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2015

My vet put my dog Lucky on Hill Science I/D. Lucky has lung cancer. I noticed when I fed him the dry food only he would touch it. I mixed regular boiled chicken with it, he ate the chicken and spit out any of the dry all over the floor. I decided to buy both dry & wet and mix it. He ate the wet and spit out the dry. One evening I came home and he threw up pieces of the dry food and a bunch of mucus. This happened twice, so I kept feeding it to him. Now I noticed he is gagging after eating. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the food or the cancer, but I am stopping the food.

I just happened to be searching for food discount coupons when I ran across the posts on Hill Science. I'm no longer feeding my dog this crap. I might as well be feeding him cheaper food. Does anyone know of a good food for my Lucky? Also, I found a recall link that had a Hill Science recall on it from June 2014. I read the recall and it was for Salmonella. Well the symptoms are exact to what most of you are describing going on with your pets. I had Salmonella poisoning and almost died from it so you know I don't want my already sick buddy to get even sicker.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

My baby is Max, and he is a 7 yr-old Lab. He has always eaten the same food. In March, new bag made him sick, with vomiting and blood in stools. Vet could find nothing wrong. Exchanged that bag, no problems. Next bag okay for awhile, then vomiting. Tossed that bag and bought some from another store. Okay for awhile, then he spit it out one day and wouldn't eat it anymore.

Sent a letter to Co. asking for refund for the food and Dr.’s bill. Their policy is get the refund from the store (take the bag back), and fill out a "Package of Documents" that goes to their legal dept. for a refund of Vet bill. Thank goodness I have all the lot #s and codes from the bags, samples of the food, and exact dates each thing happened so I'm not making this up. Unfortunately, this is the short version of the story; it started in March and it still goes on in August. My advice--Don't use any of their products. My baby is okay now, but I feel so bad for those who have lost their loved ones!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

I rescued a Pitbull mix and the rescue was feeding her Blue, some of which was given to me to take home. I took her to my vet and he recommended Science Diet. I transitioned my girl to SD per the recommendation. My baby had diarrhea the entire time and never had solid poops while on SD. I stopped the SD, immediately put her back on Blue: Diarrhea gone. SD might be cheaper but it seems Blue is safer. Happy I followed my instinct.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I got my dogs their prescription of Metabolic about 2 1/2 weeks ago. They have been on Metabolic for over a year. I was told the bag design changed but that was all that changed. Well for about 1 1/2 weeks they grew more and more disinterested. Then my Aussie threw up 3 times the one night. Now neither dog wants to eat the food. The dog that threw up the food has an elevated pancreas reading all of a sudden. They still love the biscuits? Well I called Hills and found out they changed the formula and added flavor enhancers. They didn't change the biscuit formula. I will not continue feeding a food that is causing them to be sick. I was surprised to find other people having same issues.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

7/31/2015, noticed all of the Hill's Science cans of dog food reduced from 2.49 to a dollar something in 3 different stores. Hey let's try a can… Both of my dogs are still crapping and vomiting yellow bile along with streaks of blood now, 8/4/15.

Original review: July 31, 2015

We just lost our beloved 11-year-old happy, prissy beautiful Maltipoo. She suddenly started falling, she could hardly walk. She just about would not eat her food. She would drink water, eat her treats and go eat food from my lab's bowls. I have fed her Science Diet her whole life. About two years ago the same thing happened and the vet was able to save her. They diagnosed her with pancreatitis. She was not overweight and had never had a single issue. Then yesterday my son came home during the day and found her lying in the floor breathing hard with her tongue hanging out of her mouth. She was not responsive.

He rushed her to the vet where I met him. The vet said she was severely dehydrated. The vet said she wasn't sure if she would be able to save her. This morning I was informed they were able to rehydrate her quickly but she never regained her cognitive abilities. She quit breathing. Vet said not sure if it was a stroke or what happened. I started thinking and thought about her recently not eating her food well, which is Hills Science Diet for older dogs small bites. Then I started reading the reviews and spot on the same symptoms my little Daisy was experiencing. I'm going to investigate more. The food needs to be pulled from the shelves.

Original review: July 29, 2015

Our dogs have been on this product for over a year. We have auto-shipping each month. We canceled today because the very thing we bought this product for because the reason we canceled. Our dogs started throwing up bits of blood and had diarrhea and were lethargic. I did not know what else to do and talked them into eating it, thinking it could not possibly be the prescription dog food! They became ill AFTER eating the food and when we stopped the food they got better.

I do not think I should have to pay the shipping to send the product back! Our dogs suffered!!! And so did we!!! We decided to hang onto the food in case... I read the comments on here and others have gone through the exact same thing! As far as a receipt, they have us on record at Petflow! We have wasted $$$$$ on two cases partially used because the first case -- maybe they got bored so we tried turkey-flavored - would not eat and I talked them into it. That's when they started getting sick. You know what I am talking about. So do the others!

Original review: July 26, 2015

My little 3-year old Yorkie became very ill on Friday and I had to take her to emergency. She was couldn't stand on her own two feet, drooling incessantly, and had a crazy look in her eye. She has to get charcoal treatment, IV fluids and antibiotics, and stay overnight. Two days later she still won't eat and won't go near the Science Diet toy breed that she has been alone for her whole. I can't figure what else it could be as we are very careful not to leave anything out.

Original review: July 22, 2015

Our beloved Golden passed in his sleep on 19 July 2015, between 06:30 and 08:00. He has throw up in front of him, nothing digested since the day before. His bi-annual blood and checkup was, as the Vet said, the most healthy 10 yr old he's ever seen. Only issue was he needed to drop some weight. He put us on Hills diet food. He dropped 11 pounds in two months, was looking great but would not eat at times, never for more than 18 hours. We are shocked because he was happy, playing with our younger Golden that night. Some people we have reached out to or have reached out to us said they think Hills could be the culprit. We truly don't know. And I'm kicking myself because when we put the love of our lives on Hills several people, including Petsmart management recommended Royal Canine as a safer choice. We trusted our vet.

Again, a totally healthy Golden Retriever is gone for no reason and please understand we really don't know exactly what killed him. Some, on the social media that cried with us say it was the food. We can't say that it was or was not. Please please get professional advice more than from your own vet. Sometimes their judgement is formed by the company salesman versus the science of the product.

Original review: July 20, 2015

We have been feeding our dogs Science Diet RD for years. About a month ago 3 of our 4 dogs began vomiting. One of them seriously, while being fed this food. Almost immediately upon removing them from this food, the vomiting stopped. Unfortunately, it cost us some serious vet bills before we discovered what the problem is. I don't know what Hills has done to this formulation, but whatever it is almost killed my Newfoundland, and cost us a lot of pain and heartache as we tried to get our dogs well again. Needless to say, we are OFF this food forever.

Original review: July 20, 2015

I have used Hills Science Diet C/D feline food for over 10 years. I have never had a problem with it. Recently, on the last bag I purchased- my cats noticed a difference. My older cat has had diarrhea and is vomiting every morning. My younger cat will not even approach the bowl. I think the smell is offensive to her. She did not eat for 2 days and we were about to take her to the vet for examination when it dawned on us - maybe it is the food. We had a little of the old formula and she ate that up.. I called Science Diet and they told me the only change they made was "the flavor". They offered to send me coupons and asked if I had transitioned the food, which I did. I will not feed my cat this food anymore. They instructed me to talk to the vet to see if there may be something wrong with my cats. I know my cats... It's the food.

Original review: July 20, 2015

My 4 year old Chihuahua/Dachshund mix became very ill recently. She was shaking constantly, had no appetite, was lethargic, vomited a few times and had fever. The week before she started showing any symptoms, I had opened a new bag of the Hill's Science Diet Metabolic dry dog food. I did notice the packaging was different and that it didn't smell the same. I bought it at the end of June and by the first week of July she had finished all of the old bag and was now completely on the new bag. She was at the vet by July 13th. She's been on this food for over a year with no problems. I mentioned the differences in the new bag but was told (as far as they knew) only the packaging had changed. After a blood test, the vet confirmed that she had pancreatitis. Besides being a little overweight, she hadn't had any other health problems before that. She had an antibiotic shot and was put on antibiotic pills.

Today makes the 7th day on the pills. She was really improving and I thought we were in the clear until yesterday I noticed that she felt warm again. The only thing that changed was I started to give her some of the dry food again. I wish I hadn't thrown the bag away, but I really didn't think her symptoms could be caused by a food she had been on for so long. I won't be giving her any of it ever again. So between wasting the $62 on the food I'll be throwing away and a large vet bill, I am furious. I hope this helps someone else because after reading all the other posts, I'm convinced they can't all be coincidence.

Original review: July 15, 2015

I just got my kitten 6 days ago (at the time of writing this) on July 12th. He's a 7 week old Siamese, and a super sweet, super active love bug. His breeder told me I should use Science Diet, because that's what he has been eating. Up until July 13th (two days ago), it was fine. However, when I woke up July 14th, I was shocked to find my kitten vomiting! He only did this once, but it was a LOT for a little kitten to throw up. I dismissed it, because he acted completely fine the rest of the day. Then, this morning, Prince (my kitten) could not stop throwing up. He must've thrown up at least ten times, and I am not exaggerating that, until there was only yellow bile coming up. I am switching his food IMMEDIATELY and would recommend you to do the same.

Original review: July 13, 2015

I have been feeding my dogs Science Diet light for four years. I bought a new bag of food (the same one I've been buying for years). I would say about a week ago, ever since I started feeding my dogs this batch of food, they've been throwing up.

Science Diet Company Information

Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.
www.hillspet.com