2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.28/5

Royal Canin manufacturers food for dogs and cats. Special needs formulas are available for digestive health and sensitivity, weight management, appetite stimulation, heart health, skin and coat and more. The company formulates individualized recipes to include the right amount of vitamins, minerals, fiber, prebiotics and antioxidants for your pet’s needs.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2020

I have had excellent results with Royal Canin. The customer service is fantastic and they are always willing to answer my questions. Furthermore they are very knowledgeable about all their products and are more than willing to provide you with nutrient values or even relay a full guaranteed analysis to your veterinarian to discuss any questions or concerns that a pet owner or vet may have. This is something that I cannot say about a lot of other companies. (Probably most) I appreciate the science and extensive research behind their company and products. I use the breed specific formula for my Cavalier, as well as various canned food formulas and I am happy to say that their food has always been consistent in quality from batch to batch.

I have never had any quality control issues with Royal Canin, regarding their products. I am also very grateful for their ziplock feature on all their bags. (even bigger bags) This is a very important feature to have that most companies do not provide. Having a ziplock on your bag ensures that your pet food will stay fresh up until the bag is finished. A chip clip alone, will not adequately protect the food from oxidizing. Their bags are also made with very durable material to prevent rips and tears from occurring. I have yet to revive a bag that was torn or perforated in any way. I would say that Royal Canin, absolutely goes above and beyond as far as quality, attention to detail, good customer service and providing pet food that is of excellent nutrition. I would highly recommend this company.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I’ve use a variety of the brands for cats with differ conditions. From kitten food to cats with digestion issues to cats with kidney disease. I cannot afford the vet foods and finds that the pet store versions are almost as good. The aging 12+ is amazing for my elder cats - it’s designed with an appetite stimulant and lowered phosphorous and great for cats with kidney disease. You also cannot get any better than the kitten.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

My puppy (Shih Tzu) has no issues with this food, it just makes it hard to chew cause she is a small breed. Put water in her bowl with it. Still trying to find a food good for her stomach to keep her healthy.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I'm a first-time pet owner. My 3-month-old puppy died last evening (May 22, 2020). I was advised to give Royal Canine food by the breeder who sold the dog to me. My puppy has been on Royal Canine Maxi Starter Dog food (South Africa bag) for over two weeks since his arrival to my home. He was having loose motion episodes, vomiting and bloody stools. I come across this post on Facebook saying that "Don't feed Royal Canine and it is killing puppies" and got shocked as my puppy had all the symptoms which was recorded in that post by several users. I immediately stopped Royal Canine and put him on a different food. But I think it was too late as he already consumed that hazardous Royal Canine food for more than two weeks. He became inactive and eventually stopped eating anything and didn't have drinking water as well.

Three days before his death, he started making whining sounds and was in severe pain. I took him to hospital and found his blood levels were too low and he was anemic. They advised for a blood transfusion and to know the exact root cause for the reason behind his pain, they also told to PCR tests. I did 9 PCR tests and all came as negative. Before we could do a blood transfusion my puppy died in the hospital and it was a painful death for him. I had no clue what could have gone wrong and was grieving by blaming myself. I come across this Facebook post again few hours ago this morning (May 23rd, 2020) a day after my puppy's death. Users (breeders who have been regular users of RC over 10 years) in that post have reported puppies are becoming anemic and blood production stops. The exact same thing happened to my puppy.

Now at least I know the reason for his death as he was super active when he first came in and his health deteriorated after putting him on this Royal Canine Maxi Starter Dog Food (Country of Origin: South Africa Bag, Manufactured by: INDE 1292355) which finally took my puppy away from me. He was just a 3-month-old baby and he's already gone without seeing the world. Many more pet parents have lost their puppies and breeders have lost the whole litters. This needs to stop! Royal Canine need to be sued and I'm ready to take legal actions. Please refrain from using the product which I have mentioned earlier if you want your puppy to live. Royal Canine needs to answer for all the lost souls!! The poor fur babies can't speak and they're suffering a painful death. At least the other puppies out there must be saved by raising our voices on behalf of them.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I have been feeding my British Shorthair (8 years old) Royal Canin wet and dry cat food for years. Until recently he has been fine but for the Past month has been vomiting straight after eating the wet cat food. The vomit is whole undigested food. I am thinking RC must have changed the recipe because he has never done this before. He has also been drinking more lately. He does not vomit after eating a different brand. Has anyone else had this problem? I will be contacting them to give them a chance to explain!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: May 3, 2020

My silky terrier use to love this food. Our last order was in Feb of 2020. We open the 17 lbs bag ($60 dollars) and notice it was oilier and has a slightly different size. Our dog eat one bowl and did not want any more. Our dog started to get sick shortly after that. Unfortunatly, she died on May 1, 2020. I don't want to say it was this food, but before she ate this new order she was fine. You be the judge, good luck.

Original review: May 3, 2020

After many years of eating urinary SO dog food my dog has started to get diarrhea, having difficulty holding urine, and will only eat a bite and then refuses to eat remainder of food. I bulk buy the good and this all started after receiving cans of food with the new label. They must have changed something else in the recipe in manufacturing. Working with my vet to find a new brand. Shame on Royal Canin. From all the other reviews for the same issues they have to know there is a problem and not fixing it.

Original review: April 29, 2020

We have fed our Boxer Royal Canin Boxer (on the advice of our vet) since he was officially out of his puppy stage (14 months). During that time, he has been struck with seemingly random bouts of explosive diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. Each time had been preceded by the opening of a new bag of Royal Canin - but we figured it must have been something else, the dog run, other dogs, something he snapped up on the street, etc.

But now that we are all lockdown - all the other factors have been eliminated - the one constant is the food. We opened a new bag last night, fed him a few cups as usual, and by this morning he had explosive diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. As noted by many other reviewers, this seems to be a trend in the absence of quality control in Royal Canin's products. We will be returning this bag of trash to PetsMart and strongly encouraging the vet to change their recommendation regarding this brand of food. Stay away from this product and avoid gambling with your pet's health.

Original review: April 7, 2020

We had been a Royal Canin client for many, many years but no longer. After spending thousands of dollars over the years on Royal Canin dog food I called them today to return a 22 lbs bag which is still sealed and asked for a credit of file. Royal Canin gave me every excuse you could think of why they wouldn't take it back. They blamed the Vet we purchased it at for not taking it back. The Vet blames Canin for not taking returns and I'm in disbelief. We lost our large dog so we no longer need a 22 lb bag. All I asked for was a credit on account for the 22 lb bag and I would continue purchasing small bags. After being given the run around my husband and I are donating the 22 lb bag to the local humane society and are now looking at different food for our small dog. WE WILL NEVER BUY ROYAL CANIN AGAIN!!! Terrible service and terrible company!!

Original review: March 30, 2020

After reading countless reviews about symptoms... vomiting & weight loss. I called RC, they changed the formula. Removed the egg buffer and added gluten. The representative tried pushing another product for senior cats. When I asked her to address my concerns she was lackadaisical and rude. PLEASE! Anyone reading this stop feeding your pets this product immediately! I have used it for the last 6 years and now it is different, making my cat vomit every day!

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information