2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.65/5

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I recently had to start my dog on a prescription dog food for kidney stones. My vet recommended Canin SO food. My little girl has never had GI problems at all, eats twice a day, poops regularly twice a day, different foods in the past. 2 days into starting this new food... she hasn’t pooped at all, she’s vomited multiple times. Finally day 3 she poops, all diarrhea. So I stick it out thinking her system just needs to adjust, no. This continues to just get worse and worse. I do some research online and find this site. I wish I would have seen the reviews on here sooner!

Original review: July 24, 2020

This new formula has made my dog very sick. He has been vomiting and I was told his bladder stones never broke down and now his kidneys are affected. I will do everything in my power to save someone’s dog. But this new formula is very bad. Once I switched his food the vomiting has ceased.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Please read and act on it. It's NOT your imagination your pet is ill from the NEW FORMULA! My baby did great for over three years on Royal Canin food and but now has been on the NEW formula for 9 months and has been ill ever since. Vomiting, lethargic, tummy pains, more bouts of stool, etc. I suspected the food right away but my former vet said that's not possible. She was COMPLETELY checked out by a regular and a internal vet, and nothing was wrong with her. It is the food!! Please please pick up your phone and file a complaint with royal canin and do follow ups! Or message them via their Facebook page to have it in writing. To me they said they are looking into what is causing the problem. There are many many more complaints all over facebook, not only on this website. After hundreds of phone calls I finally managed to buy an OLD bag of food and my baby is no longer ill! Our furbabies don't lie!

Original review: June 29, 2020

Like many other reviews state.. I have been battling with my little maltese over diarrhea. At first we thought she ate something off the ground and we went to the vet for probiotic and a rice diet. She almost immediately got better, but as soon as I introduced her Royal Canin back, the diarrhea and mucus stool came back. Switched to rice again, she got better again. Royal Canin introduced, and her diarrhea immediately began! They definitely switched formulas and thanks to this website, I found others reporting the same thing! So for the past week, she switched to Merrick Small Breed Healthy Grains and not to be gross, but her stool has been perfect and healthier than ever. Her behavior is back to normal and I could not be happier. BUYER BEWARE. Stay away from this food. The transition to Merrick was great and I highly recommend it as an alternative option. (I'm in no way affiliated with Merrick, just grateful to find a better alternative.)

Original review: June 1, 2020

We switched to RC Urinary SO a few months ago since Hills Prescription Diet was no longer being sold at our vet. BIG MISTAKE. One of our cats was recently rushed to the vet hospital in our neighbourhood after he fainted. He then went into septic shock and we couldn't figure out why. A week later our other cat begins to vomit and have diarrhea after eating his food. Both cats were lethargic, vomiting and overall, not doing very well. After spending over $4000 bringing our cats in to try and figure out what was going on, we realized it must be from their food. Sure enough after reading countless reviews of cats vomiting, excessive diarrhea and some even death, we realized it was their Royal Canin Urinary SO food.

We have also learned that they recently changed something in their ingredients which I'm assuming is why our cats fell sick since we've used this product for a few months now. We are absolutely OUTRAGED with this company's negligence in putting their product out there when there are so many reviews from people clearly stating there is something wrong with the food. We are also angry that they would change their product and not advise consumers. Shame on you Royal Canin. You almost killed both of our cats and cost us a fortune in vet bills because you refuse to accept your mistake. I will never use any of your products and I will never recommend it.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I have a toy schnauzer who is almost 5 years old. My vet put my dog on this dog food 6 months ago and he became so much healthier. Complete different dog. I thought finally success. Then I just ordered a new bag thru Chewy and the minute I started to feed it to him all of a sudden he got diarrhea. So I stopped it and started with rice and ground beef for a few days. I knew he was getting better because he wasn't having accidents all over the house so I started working back into his diet a few dry food pebbles at a time.

His diarrhea started up a little but I thought he just needed more protein to get it to harden again. The more I gave him in the next few days the sicker he became. Severe case of diarrhea but worse. So I called my vet and told her. She said to stop giving him the Royal Canin Dog food that it could be a bad batch. Once I stopped giving him the Selected Protein he completely stopped the diarrhea. She suggested to get another bag but after reading all these complaints I am too scared to reorder the bag.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I'm a first-time pet owner. My 3-month-old puppy died last evening (May 22, 2020). I was advised to give Royal Canine food by the breeder who sold the dog to me. My puppy has been on Royal Canine Maxi Starter Dog food (South Africa bag) for over two weeks since his arrival to my home. He was having loose motion episodes, vomiting and bloody stools. I come across this post on Facebook saying that "Don't feed Royal Canine and it is killing puppies" and got shocked as my puppy had all the symptoms which was recorded in that post by several users. I immediately stopped Royal Canine and put him on a different food. But I think it was too late as he already consumed that hazardous Royal Canine food for more than two weeks. He became inactive and eventually stopped eating anything and didn't have drinking water as well.

Three days before his death, he started making whining sounds and was in severe pain. I took him to hospital and found his blood levels were too low and he was anemic. They advised for a blood transfusion and to know the exact root cause for the reason behind his pain, they also told to PCR tests. I did 9 PCR tests and all came as negative. Before we could do a blood transfusion my puppy died in the hospital and it was a painful death for him. I had no clue what could have gone wrong and was grieving by blaming myself. I come across this Facebook post again few hours ago this morning (May 23rd, 2020) a day after my puppy's death. Users (breeders who have been regular users of RC over 10 years) in that post have reported puppies are becoming anemic and blood production stops. The exact same thing happened to my puppy.

Now at least I know the reason for his death as he was super active when he first came in and his health deteriorated after putting him on this Royal Canine Maxi Starter Dog Food (Country of Origin: South Africa Bag, Manufactured by: INDE 1292355) which finally took my puppy away from me. He was just a 3-month-old baby and he's already gone without seeing the world. Many more pet parents have lost their puppies and breeders have lost the whole litters. This needs to stop! Royal Canine need to be sued and I'm ready to take legal actions. Please refrain from using the product which I have mentioned earlier if you want your puppy to live. Royal Canine needs to answer for all the lost souls!! The poor fur babies can't speak and they're suffering a painful death. At least the other puppies out there must be saved by raising our voices on behalf of them.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I have been feeding my British Shorthair (8 years old) Royal Canin wet and dry cat food for years. Until recently he has been fine but for the Past month has been vomiting straight after eating the wet cat food. The vomit is whole undigested food. I am thinking RC must have changed the recipe because he has never done this before. He has also been drinking more lately. He does not vomit after eating a different brand. Has anyone else had this problem? I will be contacting them to give them a chance to explain!

Original review: May 3, 2020

My silky terrier use to love this food. Our last order was in Feb of 2020. We open the 17 lbs bag ($60 dollars) and notice it was oilier and has a slightly different size. Our dog eat one bowl and did not want any more. Our dog started to get sick shortly after that. Unfortunatly, she died on May 1, 2020. I don't want to say it was this food, but before she ate this new order she was fine. You be the judge, good luck.

Original review: May 3, 2020

After many years of eating urinary SO dog food my dog has started to get diarrhea, having difficulty holding urine, and will only eat a bite and then refuses to eat remainder of food. I bulk buy the good and this all started after receiving cans of food with the new label. They must have changed something else in the recipe in manufacturing. Working with my vet to find a new brand. Shame on Royal Canin. From all the other reviews for the same issues they have to know there is a problem and not fixing it.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information