2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.8/5 (206 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Royal Canin Pet Foods

Royal Canin sells breed and life stage tailored nutritional dog and cat food products in veterinary clinics and retail stores throughout the United States. The company has more than 200 formulas on the market, which lets owners find dry and wet pet food for a variety of dog and cat breeds and sizes.

Pros

• Real ingredients
  • Money-back policy
  • Vast selection

Cons

• Some formulas pricey
  • Grain-free not available

Bottom Line

Royal Canin is a pet food line for healthy dogs and cats as well as those with specific health issues. The company has a wide range of products, but the food may not be suitable for pets with grain allergies.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

My pug Sophie has been RC Weight Control (Small Dogs) for the past 4 years and has been fine up until now. It started two weeks ago on a Monday – my dog started vomiting her undigested kibble (happened twice in 1 day), was fine for two days and then started vomiting up bile and her undigested kibble again the Thursday and Friday the first week of her being sick. In 1 week, I took my dog to the vet THREE TIMES. This is what happened:

First visit to the Vet on the Thursday:

- First blood test showed ELEVATED liver enzyme levels and low calcium levels. She was given anti-nausea medication and got scheduled for an xray for the day after.

Visit to the vet on the Friday:
– Xrays ran clear and showed no blockages and or other physical issues with her GI/Liver/ etc.
– She was put on another brand of medicated dog food (wet food) and hasn't been vomiting since

– Was prescribed liver supplements and antibiotics

Visit to the vet on the next Monday:

– Liver enzyme blood work was conducted and indicated her levels were all showing normal (this is after she was not eating RC for a few days).

After spending $1400, my vet was not able to give any conclusion as to what was going on with Sophie. I kept telling him that I think it was the food she was eating as now that she's stopped eating it, she's been getting better. I have also been doing my own research and have seen that RC has had a history of recalls in the past, 1 being excessive levels of Vitamin D.

When dogs have exposure to high levels of Vitamin D (taken from the FDA) "Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that helps dogs regulate the balance and retention of calcium and phosphorus. However, extremely high levels of vitamin D can cause serious health problems. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, so unlike water-soluble vitamins, when a dog – or other animal - gets too much, the excess is not rapidly excreted in his or her urine. Instead, it’s stored in fat tissue and the liver. Excessive vitamin D can lead to kidney failure and even death."

Sophie's initial blood work was showing LOW CALCIUM and elevated liver enzymes. I have been reading reviews on other websites about the latest batches of RC food and multiple other pet owners have been reporting the same issues with their pets (vomiting, diarrhea, etc) with food they purchased last year all the way up to December of 2020.

The last 2 bags of RC dog food I purchased from my vet were in December of 2020 and have a date/lot number of 05MAY2022 and is manufactured in Guelph, ON. Has RC recently changed the formulation? If so, why has it not been made public? Does RC not realize the health implications of what a change in food formulation can have on a pet's system? It can cause serious illness and even death. I am writing this extensive but needed review as I believe your the latest production batches are contaminated and need to be investigated and put on a RECALL.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I took my dog to the vet because she had intermittent soft stools, she recommended the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food that only vets sell. Immediately l noticed that my dog’s eyes would tear up every time my dog ate the food. I thought she had a sore tooth, took back to the vet, her teeth were fine. Soon l realized her soft stool had gone from being once every couple of days to every day, every bowel movement. I looked up the eye-tearing issue and found many sites and blogs that all gave the same answer - something in the food was inflaming my dog’s gut while she ate, and was most likely wheat, which is a common sensitivity for dogs.

l checked the ingredients list and sure enough wheat was listed on the bag. I had to go back to the vet and spend $400 on digestive supplements to rectify my dog’s inflamed gut. When l contacted the company to ask for a refund for the food based on the fact that gastro food should not contain a common dog allergen their response was that no one else who purchased food from this numbered lot had submitted a complaint so they weren’t concerned that their product was the issue, and tried to blame a separate health issue for my dog’s symptoms that only occurred when she ate their food.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I have a 12 week old puppy. I started her on RC puppy wet food in the tub. She seemed to tolerate it well. I couldn't find anymore anywhere. RC has that Amazon and Chewy, as well as a local store have it. Amazon wouldn't have it for 2 months. Chewy has nothing, local store doesn't even sell RC, nowhere else carries it. The RC website is wrong! They say it's available all over. It's not available! They advertise it and it comes up with Puppy Stimulant wet gel gook food in a can.

I have 50 cans of RN puppy appetite stimulation, thinking I was getting the tub. She now has Giardia, not sure if it came from the breeder, since she has not been outside walking yet. She only is in the apartment. I have no other dogs. Her stool is too soft from this mush gel and today she vomited a little with loose stool. Had diarrhea once. She is on ** and probiotics. This stuff is bad, really bad. Will be changing it after reading these reviews. I can't lose my little girl and/or have chronic Giardia.

She also started eating her stool after starting this can of junk, which she did not do before. She's always hungry, except for today, she has a tummy ache. Have the dry Puppy RC food also. Just bought another bag, ugh. I don't care about the money, I will change it slowly. I refuse to use this company who cannot answer emails and advertise their dog foods with falsehoods. Thank you for all the reviews notifying how bad this product and company who doesn't answer calls or cuts you off of their Facebook page when you ask them why they are not knowledgeable about what's going on. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

My vet recommended RC for my Standard Poodle Puppy. He has now been diagnosed with possibly a lifelong disease called Giardia, extreme gastro-intestinal issues, diarrhea, vomiting, etc. The scary part is my vet said it does not even show up on the actual test Vets perform which is how he missed it the first time, but after reviewing the scans more closely he quickly realized my little Prince has extreme Giardia to the point my poor little 5 month old pup may have it for a lifetime. I will not feed him another kibble of this toxic food and recommend you do the same! Royal Canine this is criminal!!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Bought Royal Canin cat food for my cats as my vet told us it was the best and really pushed it on us. We have tried the kitten formula the adult formula and the sensitive digestion.. My 1 year old cat vomits everyday after eating and my 5 year old is pooping blood because she's constipated or gets diarrhea. I give them 1/4 cup each twice a day as recommended and after the sensitive digestion food didn't seem to be helping I'm gonna stop giving them this crap as their health and quality of life seems to be declining. I'd recommend Not buying this crap as it could result in pain or death in your beloved animals. Spend 30 instead of 15 if you truly love them.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

The following is my personal opinion. I purchased Royal Canin dog food for my Rottweiler puppy because of some recommendations that I saw online, after one day of feeding my puppy this food he began throwing up and being very lethargic, I looked online and found reviews of people whose dogs have had the same and more symptoms and even a puppy that died due to this food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I recently had to start my dog on a prescription dog food for kidney stones. My vet recommended Canin SO food. My little girl has never had GI problems at all, eats twice a day, poops regularly twice a day, different foods in the past. 2 days into starting this new food... she hasn’t pooped at all, she’s vomited multiple times. Finally day 3 she poops, all diarrhea. So I stick it out thinking her system just needs to adjust, no. This continues to just get worse and worse. I do some research online and find this site. I wish I would have seen the reviews on here sooner!

Original review: July 24, 2020

This new formula has made my dog very sick. He has been vomiting and I was told his bladder stones never broke down and now his kidneys are affected. I will do everything in my power to save someone’s dog. But this new formula is very bad. Once I switched his food the vomiting has ceased.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Please read and act on it. It's NOT your imagination your pet is ill from the NEW FORMULA! My baby did great for over three years on Royal Canin food and but now has been on the NEW formula for 9 months and has been ill ever since. Vomiting, lethargic, tummy pains, more bouts of stool, etc. I suspected the food right away but my former vet said that's not possible. She was COMPLETELY checked out by a regular and a internal vet, and nothing was wrong with her. It is the food!! Please please pick up your phone and file a complaint with royal canin and do follow ups! Or message them via their Facebook page to have it in writing. To me they said they are looking into what is causing the problem. There are many many more complaints all over facebook, not only on this website. After hundreds of phone calls I finally managed to buy an OLD bag of food and my baby is no longer ill! Our furbabies don't lie!

Original review: June 29, 2020

Like many other reviews state.. I have been battling with my little maltese over diarrhea. At first we thought she ate something off the ground and we went to the vet for probiotic and a rice diet. She almost immediately got better, but as soon as I introduced her Royal Canin back, the diarrhea and mucus stool came back. Switched to rice again, she got better again. Royal Canin introduced, and her diarrhea immediately began! They definitely switched formulas and thanks to this website, I found others reporting the same thing! So for the past week, she switched to Merrick Small Breed Healthy Grains and not to be gross, but her stool has been perfect and healthier than ever. Her behavior is back to normal and I could not be happier. BUYER BEWARE. Stay away from this food. The transition to Merrick was great and I highly recommend it as an alternative option. (I'm in no way affiliated with Merrick, just grateful to find a better alternative.)

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information