2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We have 4 cats who all eat the Urinary SO prescription food. One of our cats has a serious problem with crystals in his urine and we never had to worry while they were eating this food. We have gotten this food for years with no problems. The last couple of days, I started to notice a bright red color would appear in the wet food after it had been exposed to oxygen. We called the company and they said it was some kind of bacteria from pigs' livers and we must live near water or had flooding. We don't. I don't know what the moisture level in our home would have to do with it. This is wet cat food. They said it was fine for our cats to eat. First of all, I don't believe any cat should be knowingly fed bacteria, so that is ridiculous. Also, our cats refused to eat it, which is definitely a sign that something is wrong. Our vet had no real comment but made a note in our chart.

This has made me so angry that the company would not care at all if our cats get sick or die because of this. Our cats are older (10/11 years) and a couple of them already have health problems. I am thankful that so far they don't seem to have gotten sick from this, but I will not feed this red stuff to my cats. I will be switching brands if I can find something that won't kill our cat with UTI issues.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Got ???? WORMS in a Royal Canin sealed pack which was unnoticeable. As usual we fed our dog the same not knowingly it was having worms in it. After some days he got allergies all over the body. My dog suffered a lot and we suffered watching him. When I mailed them they told they would just replace the bag of food. That’s all. What about the sufferings of my baby. I would never ever go back to this brand????

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

My cat has eaten SO for about a year. All of a sudden he wouldn’t eat it and became ill. He lost all energy, salivated and hid. We stopped feeding him this food and introduced one that was had already researched would be safe for a short time that is over the counter, so to speak. We mo I tired him and then called our vet. We’re trying other options now. He is marginally better today. We’ll see if he eats the other options tonight. I emailed Royal Canin 4 days ago when this started and they have not responded yet. So we learned they changed the formula and texture and recipe. Without telling their customers. They are making cats sick. I shudder when I read the other reports. This is not made up or internet hype. This is really happening. I hope they lose a lot of money. They are jerks in my book. Stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have two cats who have been on Royal Canin Urinary SO and have loved it and been fine for years. Recently opened a new bag (the gold packaging used to be green) and my two cats over the course of 2 weeks have stopped eating it, have diarrhea and were throwing up. They are lethargic and not themselves. Called RC and gave them the batch number and they said they would test it and reply back. That was two days ago (January 3, 2020). Not sure how long that will take but I am not confident they will return my call with any info or responsibility. The lady on the phone was nice, but said there was nothing wrong with the food. I told her I was seeing lots of complaints about it online and she said, "Well, sir, you know with social media lots of people say a lot of things." I honestly do get that, a lot of people get very brave behind a keyboard, but there is a pattern and a LOT of people are having issues and that’s just those of us who take the time to write/post.

I asked her if I truly was the FIRST person to call with a complaint and she said YES. I can't believe that. Everyone having issues needs to post reviews but ALSO CALL RC and complain. I'm very worried about my cats. And I don't think RC will own up to anything. Meanwhile, I'm about to be neck deep in vet bills. My cats are indoor cats only. We don't feed them table food or anything else but this expensive prescription food. We have switched prescriptions to Hill's Science Diet's version of the same thing and they are barely eating that. It’s like they are scared to eat because that causes pain. The pet food industry is a scam…they know we love our pets and will do almost anything for them ($$) and they exploit that. It's big business and they have too much at stake to admit anything unless forced to do so.

My vet said that they have to have "a certain number of complaints" before they are required by law to report it. Please write your reviews and call RC. The batch number on my bag in question – 07MAR2021 19250001 RFT F1 07:12. I returned the bag to PetSmart and they gave me a full refund…but I saved some of it in the event this needs to be tested by an independent source. If enough of us have problems perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order? Please help to put RC (and the pet food industry) on notice. This is unacceptable and inhumane and very irresponsible. To say I’m mad is a gross understatement.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I feed both my cats the Urinary SO canned and the Urinary SO moderate calorie dry food on the recommendation of my vet. The dry food has caused both of my cats to vomit. One of them vomited for two days and stopped eating entirely. He is now hospitalized with aspiration pneumonia because of the vomiting and he is fighting for his life. I have found over 20 reviews similar to my experience on this site that were reported within the last few months. Something is obviously not right here, and this food is killing animals.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

We adopted a cat years ago and only food we could get her to eat was Royal Canin. But this last year our cat has been having diarrhea every day. Her diarrhea so bad she doesnt even make it to her litter box! We thought she was just getting old. We were in a rush on the way to a vacation and they didnt have royal cat food so we grabbed another brand and it's been a month or so and she doesnt have diarrhea.

I feel like the the issue got worse after the kibble design changed as well.. Did the formula change too?! (maybe related) She seemed sluggish since we got her too but since her food change she seems to be somewhat different.. Better attitude. No diarrhea episodes at all since. Going to do a vet follow up next week to tell the vet. The vet gives this stuff in her office but I will tell her my concerns and see what she thinks. (FYI: used to get big bags and was told If they dont go through it quickly it can go bad. We thought that was it but we did small bags and still diarrhea. Our cat doesnt do treats or catnip. She is very picky so she was only eating royal canin.)

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

My cats suddenly stopped eating and have not been eating for nearly a week. After an extensive amount of tests, they opened up my cat Rajah for exploratory surgery because the xrays showed something in his stomach and that his intestines were swollen. They was after he had not eaten anything for over 5 days. When they got in there, they found that his intestines were so swollen that he could not pass anything, they found rotten food and bile stuck in his stomach and intestines that they had to manually take out. After the surgery he is finally eating and drinking again (different food now) and going to the bathroom. He was so bad he was drooling all over the place and so lethargic that he would not respond to me. He is 10 years old and could have died if it was in there much longer or from surgery itself.

Now my other cat is showing the same symptoms and is at the vet to get xrays. How Royal Canin can sell food that is this harmful to an animal's body is beyond me. The vets have ruled out everything else at this point. I am so upset that the food I feed my cats is hurting them so much when I thought I was buying them good food. I have spent thousands of dollars just trying to keep my cat alive right now.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

On vet's advice, this week I took delivery of £130 GBP worth of dog food. As my dog wouldn't so much touch the food and is ill, I thought I'd phone the manufacturer for advice on whether I could add anything to this very expensive food so as to get my dog to eat it as the vet said he was not to eat anything else. I phoned their helpline and got the message that they charge their customers £0.72 pence per minute for the privelage of needing to speak to a human being pretty urgently. And lo and behold another recorded voice was ready to send me round in circles running up my phone bill.

I immediately smelled SCAM, what kind of reputable company charges extortionate prices to give information to their customers??!! Reputable companies don't, they may have a local call charge or they may have a free phone number but they certainly don't SCAM their customers Royal Canin. How may customers may need pretty urgent advice or indeed how may customers don't have internet access or may not be able to use a keyboard. I SMELL SCAMMERS!! And how far does the scam go, I now think to myself "ROYAL" Canin? where do they get the royal from? What's the relationship between this pet food company and Buckingham Palace? Is there one?

Why would the 90 year old pensioner's favourite Royal Queen be giving the Windsor seal of approval to a company that is Scamming the public and likely the most vulnerable?? Why are the vets so eager to promote this company's products? I dare say huge profits at any cost. Time to follow the money and see where they get off using the title Royal! Royal Scammers???

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I’ve used RC for years but recently - within the last year she started to vomit the food up and it also spoils after just a few hours. In Addition, there are some really questionable particles In This food. She specifically has thrown the particles up each time. My cat is not one to get sick a lot like some cats so I am VERY concerned about this new formulation - which is what Royal Canine called it when I spoke with them. Don’t ignore your pets sickness. It’s not your imagination! Call RC and coMain and don't forget to tell your let to the vet!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

My cats have been eating Royal Canin since birth. This particular 12 pack of small cans my cats were projectile vomiting everywhere. I was out of town while this was going on. My son figured out it was the canned cat food so he stopped feeding it to them. I have four cans left. I switched food and they are much better thankfully! They need to look into this particular batch ASAP!

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information