1.86/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Royal Canin Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

542 Royal Canin Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 22, 2019

I’ve been feeding the dachshund variety of this dry food on and off for the last 2 1/2 years since he was a puppy with no problem. At the end of 2018 he started randomly dry-retching in the day and ended up in hospital nearly dead with aspiration pneumonia (fluid sucked down the lungs instead of being spat out). We didn’t think about his food until in January when he kept refusing to eat, still randomly dry-retching and then became covered in itchy blisters and cysts all over his paws and under his tail which drove him mad with itch! His breath was also terrible, despite being brushed regularly, which indicated GI problems. The pet shop advised that Royal Canin had recently switched manufacturers and a lot of people were complaining it isn’t the same product. If you have this stuff throw it in the bin!

Original review: March 20, 2019

After the Science Diet recall my vet switched my 4 dogs to Royal Canin. They did well on it for 4 weeks then I picked up a new ordered it and not 1 of my dogs would eat it. Prior to this 2 of my dogs had moist BMs. I made them all chicken and rice which the ate and still wouldn't touch the RC. I called the company and explained what's going on at this point I have 4 sick dogs. I was told they would look into it and it would take 5 to 7 weeks. I was worried and said, "That long..." His reply was I can try and push it up but not likely. 2 days later he calls and claims nothing is wrong with that batch. Under further questioning I found out that their vitamin D mixture also comes from China! Plus the guy seemed pretty straightforward and rude. I wouldn't advise anyone to use this food. I would also advise anyone reading this if you are having the same issue. Please call then and write a report. Once again I have 4 sick dogs and 0 trust in the pet food industry!

Original review: March 8, 2019

Ever since my vet switched my cat to Royal Canin canned cat food my 3 cats have diarrhea and the worse smelling poop. I have used a case of this so my cats have had enough time to get used to it. Something is wrong with it.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My 9 year old bulldog recently develop some kind food allergy associated with diarrhea, so his vet prescribed Royal Canin. I first placed my dog on a bland diet to help with the inflammation then slowly introduce the new diet (Royal Canin Skin Support). Btw, during the course of his bland diet, his stool was perfect, he was a happy boy. Then comes the nightmare! Every time, I put a small amt of royal canin in his food, he would start vomiting and having diarrhea!!! I immediately stop feeding him Royal Canin and is in the process of finding him a different food option. Please, if you love you dog, don’t feed him this POISON!

Original review: March 3, 2019

My Shih Tzu is prescribed this. She's loved it ever since and it's been great for her. I recently got a new order delivered and after the first feeding the diarrhea started. Now it's bloody diarrhea. Found out it's whatever they changed in this food went from prescription to poison.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Royal Canin company actively promote their breed specific dog dry food. I own two golden retrievers. They hate the breed specific food. Twice I bought large bags and end up donating to the rescue centers. The kibble is very hard and super dry. As per my understanding, the respective breed should love the breed-specific diet and it should make the pet stomach happy. The mealtime should not become stressful and sad for the pets. Hope they look into their quality standards and supply good quality in India. I have escalated this issues several times with Royal Canin team in India, but they are least bothered to hear customer reviews. Before you buy breed-specific diet always ask for samples, if they do not have one then please do not waste your money and put your pet in a more stressful situation.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My male 11 year old started to throw up last Wednesday. He threw up 8 times before my wife took him to 24 hour vet hospital. He had high liver enzymes and was diagnosed with severe Pancreatitis, excess fluid in his Gall Bladder. He was hospitalized for 4 days and didn't eat during that time. Tonight my female 12 year old started throwing up. She's thrown up 5 times. We did not consider the Potato and Venison food from Royal Canin as a potential source of the problem until I started reading all these reviews from owners in Feb 2019 and the previous couple of months. I am very scared and at this point I have to assume that something is wrong with their food. They are essentially indoor dogs in the winter and didn't get into something outside. They drink highly filtered water that has been tested for purity (because our tap water is terrible) here in Aurora, CO.

Why would two dogs get sick in the same few days other than their very specific dog food and when we have found one's sickness to be the result of massive inflammation of the pancreas. They did find a 'mass' on the male's spleen but determined that was not a causal factor (just being honest). I don't know what to think about Royal Canin but this is very serious and I think the evidence is good enough to suggest that there may be a problem with this food.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My Persian boy Oliver had urinary issues in May 2017 and was on this since. His feces were small and dry on this food but after a year and a half on this he started to throw up. He had 2 episodes of throwing up all day, vet mentioned IBD. Instead I have put him on Blue sensitive stomach and his throwing up has stopped. I’m awaiting Purina urinary and will attempt to switch. I also started him on UroMAXX again while on the Blue. He would also be very itchy on this food.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

My poor boy, my almost 12 yr old Golden Retriever... We thought maybe the end was nearing. Damn you Royal Canin!!! After reading these reviews, we have the same experience. Our boy slowly starting not wanting to eat as much as soon as we starting switching to this Max Aging from Golden Retriever which he was doing fine on. The dealer where we buy the food talked me into this food being better for him (for his joints, and his age)... I shouldn't have listened and stayed with my gut...but we did what we thought was best and slowly introduced this. He slowly seemed to lose appetite, even if I added some gravy or carrots. And coincidently started to throw up occasionally.

We went to Mexico for a week and our son looked after 'Gunner' and said he wasn't eating much. When we got home I tried him on a different food. He ate a few kibbles and fine, but then started to throw up the kibble again. I started to home cook some chicken breast, rice, beans, carrots, which he ate, but you could tell something was not right. He was sleeping a lot and would NOT drink water, only eat snow?!

Today, after 1 1/2 weeks of being off this stuff he is finally turning around and starting to act like his old self... He has only been eating cooked chicken breast the last couple days. IT WAS REALLY BAD and so worrisome... Today he actually ate a couple of homemade pumpkin cookies and some snap peas and is wagging his tail!! :) When I think back now (I should have known!!), but it seems that when we introduced this stuff is when it started. When I read all of your reviews...it makes sense. I'm glad all your animals are ok, and I hope my boy makes it through too.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Their digest sensitive wet cat food helps keep my cat healthy! I would definitely recommend this brand for their digest sensitive cat food. My cat really loves the taste. I will definitely be buying more of this in the future unless there is a recall.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have toy poodle and Yorkie. They both had been on Royal Canin food for entire life (probably 10 years). Everything was fine, but within last 2-3 bags (I am doing large bags) they very badly eating this food. If I mix it with other brand they may eat it, but not just Royal Canin. I also have a cat which is eating EVERYTHING and always. We feed her with her own food, but today after whole night beeing outside I gave her as experiment just dog's Royal Canin. She totally refused to eat it, but after I removed the plate she keep bugging me for food and eat everything else I gave her after. So, something is going on with Royal Canin food recently. I returned my unopen bag to Amazon today and will buy different brand. Open bad I will probably trash out.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My gorgeous lab has been on this food since he was 6 months old. He had been fine. Over the past 3 weeks he has been reluctant to eat his food and sat there and stared at me and turned his nose up. I have been tearing my hair out and been stressed, wondering why my boy has gone off his food. Went to the vets with him yesterday, all is well after a thorough check up but he has lost 2kg in weight? To cut a long story short, my daughter also has a lab on the same food, she has mine at hers if I am doing long hours at work and my boy happily munched his meals at her house.

I asked her if she has the new design bag or the old and lo and behold she has the old bag, I have been trying to feed mine with the new design bag for the past three weeks! We compared ingredients and it seems Royal Canin have not only changed the packaging but also the ingredients! I am fuming that my gorgeous boy of 7 years old has been refusing his food and have been so worried about him. He hasn't had diarrhea or been vomiting but would rather not eat this new design crap. Have changed his food immediately and I will be taking this matter further!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We have a Shar-Pei dog. She was eating Acana dog food for her first 5 years and then she developed a UTI and our Vet advised to start feeding her the Royal Canin HP dry food. She was eating the food for about a year with no problems until recently she started to nose at the food, not wanting to eat it and or push her food or flip over the bowl. She threw up once and had diarrhea for a few days, we tried giving her pumpkin and rice mixed in with the Royal Canin and she still didn't want to eat the food. We gave her pumpkin alone and she licked the bowl. I started to Google and finally came to these reviews and can't believe what I am reading. We stopped feeding her the Royal Canin food right away after reading all of these reviews and have now switched back to Acana dry food. Praying for a nice recovery at this point. I'm so sadden to read some of the reviews on here.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

After reading all the horrible reviews about these products and how my 14 year old dog has been doing after eating this food I’m severely worried and can’t believe that there are this many individuals that have had the same bad experience. My dog was ok at first but this last bag or two she started eating it but then started to thumb her nose up at it and is also showing signs as others such as throwing up all day, lethargic, dizzy acting when walking, no appetite. I’m pulling her off this food immediately and will only feed a natural low fat product with some raw food added in. This company needs to be reported, WTF is on this food? It seems like poison and a slow death??? Our animals deserve better than this!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I will start out by saying that I have been feeding my sweet Yorkie RC for the past 4 years. When I recently purchased a new bag and fed it to him in the past few weeks we saw a significant change in him. He began to vomit, have diarrhea and had little energy or interest. The vet told us to stop feeding him the food and to give him chicken and rice (which he loved). We saw a slight improvement but he was still very lethargic. I can't believe I'm writing this to say that we found him dead this morning!!! We are beyond sad that our fur baby has passed. We also feel that this "new formula" RC was the reason for this... Especially after reading all the recent reviews about other dogs being sick from a new bag. Please do not buy this food... I don't want anyone to feel as I do this morning.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had a 13 year old dachshund who was on low fat GI dry dog food for about 4 years. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis. He did well on this food until the end of November 2018 - beginning of December 2018. I was getting ready to go out of town and just thought he was upset that I was leaving. He started to throw up his food and then didn't want to eat. While I was out of town he became lethargic. Wouldn't eat. And was drinking a lot. Then few days later mucus was coming out of mouth. Family took to emergency vet. And blood work showed very high kidney function.

The vet misdiagnosed him. Sending him home with fluids and antibiotics. Less than 10 hours later he passed away on his bed! The next emergency vet that he was taken to when deceased said he had bleeding ulcers in mouth due to kidney failure. I had 2 other dogs on SO formula food and immediately took them off. I do not trust this brand of dog food. My dachshund was doing fine up until all this. Wondering if this brand of dog food will be in the dog food recall with FDA?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I breed Pomeranians and have been a dog breeder for almost 10 years. I have whelped and raised 12 litters of small dogs. We always used Royal Canin for our puppies, because it's the only food that is super small. This last litter was born on 12/3/18 and we started feeding them Royal Canin Xsmall the same day we dewormed them. Naturally, I thought the diarrhea was from the wormer. Two puppies went home on Saturday, January 12th. They did have slight diarrhea, but I had just wormed them again for their owners. One of the puppies started vomiting up foam and pooping his brains out. The other puppy's owner is feeding raw and so he hasn't had any dog food and his poop has been soft but not diarrhea.

We kept one puppy and she has always refused the Royal Canin so we give her Iams and her poop is solid. I 100% believe it is the food causing the illness, but I do not recommend giving it to them another time to find out. This is unacceptable. The people who bought my puppies deserve happy and healthy dogs. They do not deserve to be kept up all night because dog food companies can't get their crap together!!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I always purchase Royal Canin Medium Starter for my three pets, two Shihtzu and one Siberian Husky. My Shihtzu started losing Weight as his age is 9 months only, he is suffering from diarrhea and stomach pain. But unfortunately, I found worms in a packet!! When I opened seal pack packet of Royal Canin, I found so many white worms in the food. It’s a worst experience for me after buying Royal Canin. This must be close in all over India. I will file a case against them that they are giving poison food in the market and our dogs are suffering from many diseases only because of them.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I had an Airedale Terrier 14 years old. She’s been eating the gastrointestinal food for a few years. In October she got very ill, throwing up and diarrhea. She got very lethargic and started to lose function and her back legs. She went to the vet and was prescribed antibiotics and canned Royal Canin food. She refused to eat the dry food. She was starting to eat the canned food and then refused. She was getting sicker so I just started giving her chicken and rice and she gobbled that up. In the meantime my Maltese Shih Tzu was eating the same food. She started to have diarrhea and throw up. I thought she was getting sick too never thinking it was the food. She stopped eating the dry food and would only eat the chicken and rice.

In the meantime I had given my mother some dog food and her dog a few weeks later started with bloody diarrhea and throwing up blood. It’s too much of a coincidence that all three dogs got a virus. The only thing in common was the dog food and actually some Royal Canin cookies. There has to be something wrong and tainted with the dog food. I called up Chewy.com and Royal Canin and they told me they haven’t had any complaints. I will be sending this food in to be tested and I’m taking my dog off of it immediately. Sadly my Airedale passed away four weeks after she got sick. In my opinion, this food needs to be recalled and taken off the shelves. There definitely is something wrong with this food!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My two cats had both been eating Royal Canin happily since 2010, but in 2016 something definitely happened to the food, and it suddenly started making animals very sick. My smaller cat ended up nearly dying of pancreatitis, and after several nights in intensive care she required different medications every 2 hours for a fortnight, and subcutaneous fluid injections, plus forced feeding of nutrient-rich electrolyte broth and a "convalescent cat" soup. She recovered, many were not so lucky.

When I talked to a girl who worked at the local pet shop about my cat's sudden illness, she alerted me to many (at that time recent) stories of animals (both dogs and cats) poisoned by Royal Canin foods - both kibble and cans, including puppy and kitten formulas. Investigation and analysis of some of the kibble and cans that had led to diarrhoea, epileptic-type fits, sudden collapse and even death found that they contained rancid oils. This certainly explains the pancreatitis, and possibly all the other problems. But Royal Canin seems to have done nothing about it except cover up the problem.

I am very shocked and saddened to see that two and a half years later people are having the same problems and their beloved pets getting sick or dying because of this poisonous food! When I spoke to the vet about it, they didn't want to hear, so I changed to another vet. But the pet shop stopped stocking Royal Canin and recommended a number of UK-made grain-free and organic high-quality kibbles and canned foods.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Our little Calvalier King Charles Spaniel developed a UTI and the vet recommended the Royal Canin SO formula. Within a month she started having trouble walking and could not climb stairs. After taking her off the food, within two days there is marked improvement in her walking and she can go up and down stairs. She still cannot jump but the improvement is dramatic. Do not know what is in the SO formula that could cause this but there is no other explanation.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Our Spaniel had crystals in her urine so the vet put her on Royal Canin SO to dissolve them. After about 4 weeks, she suffered from weakness in her legs, vomiting, and coughing. The vet said she could find nothing wrong. Now, 6 weeks later, she can no longer hop up onto the couch at all (we have to pick her up and carry her down to the floor) or climb up and down stairs without help. We took her off of Royal Canin SO for 3 days and she can now go up and down stairs on her own; although, by evening she needs a little help. We are still putting her on and off the couch; however, she is at least trying to jump up on her own and her hind legs are clearly stronger. We threw out the leftover food... We were going to put it out for the feral cats, but why cause them to have health problems? We will never buy Royal Canin again.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My Yorkie had gastrointestinal problem then came down with kidney failure problem... Stopped feeding the high protein crap making it worse... Went back to home cooked meals and is recovered! They lie, lie, lie... Feed your dog/cat what you eat but without the salt spices. Dog food companies are killing our pets to make profits! No treats foods from 'China' are worth the pain and shortened lives of our pets. Especially to protect them! Take 20 minutes to feed healthy human food!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My cat was on this food for a few years and then all of the sudden he started to have severe vomiting and diarrhea episodes even though nothing had changed. We immediately took him to vet, though they stated there were no issues with him. I started wondering if the formula for the selected protein food had changed. When I emailed support, they SWORE up and down that there was no formulation changes in any capacity.

Months passed, he progressively got sicker and sicker, my vet kept saying nothing was wrong even though I started realizing my cat's symptoms seemed like kidney issues (diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, excessive thirst, etc), but his blood levels were ok. Meanwhile, my cat was losing weight in scary amounts. We weren't switching his food because prior to the selected protein food, he basically looked bald because he's allergic to other foods. This was the food that had helped him before so we assumed that it was just him being sick. Unfortunately, we now know it's what caused him to get sick.

FINALLY, after months passing 3 ultrasounds, 6 blood tests, 2 echos (I know...) they said his kidney levels seemed off and there was clearly something wrong because his weight dropped from 15 to 10 pounds. He was diagnosed with kidney disease, we were told to just feed him ANYTHING he would eat and now have to IV him. The moment we started feeding him new food he started shoveling it down. Gained 2 pounds almost immediately. Our vet then told us to go back to selected protein since again, he was chewing/scratching his hair off. We switched back, thinking that it was because he was sick that this was all happening, thinking that all the stuff about the food was in our heads.

Even with all of the medicines and IVs, the cat stopped eating... again... lost even more weight, now 9.5 pounds, and his kidney levels got even WORSE. This time we just knew it had to be the food. We threw it out immediately, picked a minimal ingredient brand from pet store that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and he started eating again immediately. His levels improved within a week and he's back up over 11 pounds and continuing to go up. I'm sorry but that isn't a coincidence. There's something in the food that is toxic and it happened when they changed the formula, even though they're saying they didn't. So disappointing. Please don't put your baby on this stuff.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We changed our Husky food from puppy to adult and have since been plagued by vomit and diarrhea. Every time our dog has an episode, we feed him rice, pumpkin and beef and he gets better. When we reintroduce Royal Canin, the issue starts again. Our house will need the carpets professionally cleaned, we have vet's bills and a 30 lb bag of poison. We have missed nights of sleep, taking our dog outside multiple times during the night all the while thinking we were doing good by our dog. It's 3 am, I am on doggy duty and finally saw the reviews below. Calling the vet in the morning to let them know not to promote this poison. Our poor doggy didn't want to eat this food to begin with. There is something nasty in it.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We have a healthy 5 yr GERMAN SHEPHERD. There is something wrong with RC wet GSD formula. Immediately after he eats 1/2 can and same brand dry food he vomits profusely including any water he drank. We stopped for four weeks. Switched to Science dry food and poached chicken. No problems. Yesterday and today introduced GSD 1/2 can last night and same this morning with regular Science dry food. I found last night's dinner thrown up in bonus room this morning and he just vomited in another room less than an hour after eating. Something is seriously wrong with this food. They must have switched or sourced different ingredients. It looks like this food was made in Mexico? OMG I’m keeping the two opened cans and 3 more to get tested. This is terrible. Thank goodness our dog is ok.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I've been feeding my cats high quality wet food exclusively for years. My beautiful Mama Cat had been doing well over the last year with supportive treatment for small cell GI lymphoma. When Mama Cat suddenly went from chronic constipation to non-stop diarrhea, I called the vet and Mama Cat was prescribed Royal Canin Feline Gastrointestinal dry food. Mama Cat died after eating only a little of the new food - within 24 hours. Mama Cat is in heaven now and I am grateful for the time I was blessed with her. I was very sad, just trying to keep my home running after Mama Cat passed away, and I didn't think twice about giving my other cats Mama's prescription dry food. ***That was a big mistake***

One of my other girls is very sensitive and she immediately vomited the Royal Canin food. Again, I did not see the connection and continued to feed the Royal Canin food. My little girl got more and more sick, drinking several quarts of water in one day and she was lethargic. When I switched back to the wet food that has served us so well (Weruva wet cat food), my little girl was back to herself in less than 24 hours; no vomiting, drinking normally and feisty as ever. I now believe the Royal Canin Feline Gastrointestinal dry food killed one already sick cat and made a healthy cat sick. I have no proof of this but if others are having similar experience, we must speak up, be heard and support one another. Peace be with you and your fur babies.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have two pugs, one 3 year old and one 4 month puppy. I have been feeding my older pug Royal Canin for a few months because of the positive reviews I saw online. I eventually switched my puppy onto the puppy brand too. They did good for a month or so, no issues at all. But just like everyone else, both of my pugs started getting diarrhea. They were both up multiple times during the night for a few days. We had them start eating chicken and rice to help their stomachs, thinking they maybe ate something they shouldn’t have.

We started feeding them their food again once their poops hardened back up... wouldn’t ya know they were up all night again that night with diarrhea. Sad that they were on two different types of Royal Canin food and they both were getting diarrhea, meaning it’s due to the formula, not just a ‘bad bag’. We switched them to a completely different brand and they are both good to go and sleeping thru the night again! Definitely avoiding Royal Canin forever...

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Royal Canin is terrible and I have a bone to pick with the food they sell. The food that's sold by most vets' offices is by big business. The same big business that makes large donations to vet schools so they can be in charge of the vet school's nutrition classes. This is why Royal Canin is recommended at every vet's office. It's a prescription food monopoly and no one seems to know or care. Royal Canin has cheap terrible ingredients and I'm sick of everyone in the vet industry selling them.

My cat gets urinary blockages (which are a life threatening emergency) and he has to be on Royal Canin "Urinary SO." The side effects are that he throws up and gets allergic skin breakouts. His fur also dulls and he gets dandruff. Ingredients include brewers' rice, chicken byproduct, and gluten cornmeal. These ingredients have no business being in my cat's food. I've been told there's no alternative. Therefore, he's just going to have to have a $70 steroid injection once every other week for the rest of his life to deal with the food's side effects. Absolutely ridiculous. It just seems insane that no one can come up with a solution here. I don't want him on a harsh steroid his entire life but I also know blockages are painful and life-threatening.

I tried to write a bad review on the Royal Canin page and it magically got deleted and I was never contacted by anyone. Amazing how on THEIR website shows all 5 star reviews. Such a shady company. You’d think for $50 a bag they’d have healthier stuff. Shape up Royal Canin!!! Going to check a holistic vet out next and talk to a pet nutritionist. Hate this brand of food!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

After the first two years of his life eating only Royal Canin brand dog food my dog is now ill from the newest bag of Royal Canin mini adult dry dog food we purchased from Chewy.com. I also noticed the food has a different stinky-smelly odor than before. I am now online reading reviews about animals with similar illness issues and statements that Royal Canin changed their formula. My opinion is it was negligent for Royal Canin to knowingly sell food that had even the slightest chance it would make animals sick. I will never purchase the Royal Canin brand again.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information