2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop on Petco
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Royal Canin manufacturers food for dogs and cats. Special needs formulas are available for digestive health and sensitivity, weight management, appetite stimulation, heart health, skin and coat and more. The company formulates individualized recipes to include the right amount of vitamins, minerals, fiber, prebiotics and antioxidants for your pet’s needs.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Shop on Petco

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Royal Canin Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 17, 2016

I have 2 dogs (currently) who have been on Royal Canin for the past few months. Neither dog has EVER had a seizure. Recently, both dogs had seizures followed by throwing up in less than 1 day apart. My first dog (mix breed/Bassador) age 11, had her seizure for about 30 seconds and then when she was able to stand, emptied her intestines of the royal canin dog food that she'd eaten. The very next day, my maltese, age 16, had his seizure that lasted about 25 seconds, followed by vomiting. Since they BOTH have been on Royal Canin (2 different kinds, mind you, one for age 11+ and the other for senior dog) about the same time frame, I have no choice but to conclude that the dog food caused it. I since then went out and bought ORIJEN grain free dog food and will begin feeding them that. Time will tell, of course but nevertheless, I have to conclude with the obvious. Stay away from Royal Canin dog food of any sort!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

My 17-and-a-half-year-old cat was diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease in 2014. He's generally been doing well on meds, except for the occasional (but rare) colon flare-up that he experience in early January 2016. During a Saturday visit at that time, the vet suggested trying Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response prescription diet for felines (dry), and gave me a sample bag to feed him over the weekend. He liked it. However, by Sunday morning my cat did not look well; he was lethargic and in distress. I called the vet that morning. She advised bringing the cat back early Monday morning, which I did. Six blocks before we got to the door, he started having convulsions. Horrified, I panicked thinking he was choking on something. I gently reached into his mouth and got bitten during his seizure, which lasted a good solid 3 minutes.

The convulsions stopped as we approached the hospital door. One of the other partner vets quickly examined him. My cat was crying and afraid, but gradually calmed down after several minutes. His vitals were fine and his appearance was better. I filled the doc in about our Saturday visit and said the cat had never had a seizure before. I asked if the Royal Canin prescription may have had something to do with it. He replied honestly that he had never heard of such a thing happening; it may well have been a mere coincidence. I left my cat there for the day and headed to work.

I then immediately did some online research on the product which led me right here to ConsumerAffairs. I was absolutely horrified at the similar reviews I read - how dog and cat owners described seizures and severe illness following the use of a Royal Canin prescription diet. How in the world is it that this product is still on the market? Shouldn't the FDA look into this? They report veterinary recalls and updates regularly. I gave the vet who did the post-seizure exam another call Monday afternoon (Jan 11, 2016) as requested and explained these reviews. He was startled and said he would look into this very serious matter right away. Vets everywhere need to be made aware of this warning. PLEASE do not give your pet this prescription diet.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

My three cats have been on the RC Urinary SO for about a year. Just about a month ago, I bought a package of it and noticed that the kibbles were not the usual uniform yellow color. Some were darker. My male cat has been having soft stools covered in blood and mucus. I think he is also having blood in his urine. The stools are now soft and not formed. He also vomited clear saliva with a little foam. The other older female has been throwing up whole bits. I've stopped the food. I'm making their food myself right now till I can get to the pet shop to get a different brand. Anyone have this problem too?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

Since getting our two fur babies, I've fed them Royal Canin. For a few weeks now, one of my girls has been really suffering. She's got really big sores all over her body. She's forever over-grooming getting massive lumps of fur out so she's very bald on her back end. Every time I tried to stroke her, she was crying out. She must have been in a lot of pain. Her back was rippling all the time plus her tail was forever jerking. I was having real concerns for her. She's been hiding for a few weeks, only coming down to eat and use the litter. She looked so miserable.

Yesterday I was desperate to find out what was causing all these symptoms for her, so I came on here. Reading people's reviews, I had a light bulb moment. It's the RC so I took it all away, stopped feeding it to both my girls so two big bags are going into the bin. I wouldn't want to give it anyone with cats. It might happen to other cats. So went to the supermarket and got some Go-Cat Crunchy and Tender. WOW, what a difference within hours. The poorly one actually came into the living room playing with the cat toys I've got for them. She's not done that for a long time, but I'm feeling so guilty that I thought it was a quality product I was buying for them and it did this to one of them.

It will take a long time to get her coat to a good standard without the scabs. At least, she's stopped over-grooming and chewing herself to pieces. The other cat for months, she will not let me brush her coat. She hates it so much so she'll scratch and spit at me. Her skin must be so sore, it must be the RC. So hopefully, her skin will settle down. She must be in pain when I try to brush or stroke her.as normally. She's such a placid cat.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

I used to buy this cat food for about 3 years, different flavors. I have never had a problem with this brand. This time I almost lost my cat. He started to throw out every day after eating this food. I thought something got wrong with the cat, maybe he got sick. I could never suspect this brand of wrongdoing. Then I stopped this food and switched to Pride by Instinct, and he stopped throwing out. I just not sure where I should report this problem because it looks that the food is contaminated with god knows what. Be careful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Royal Canin Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2015

This food for dogs should be banned. It was recommended by our vet. Our labrador who has food allergies and food intolerance stayed on it for some time. We were appalled by the effect it had on him after several months. At the beginning it was not clear that it was actually THE FOOD that was to blame. He lost weight, didn't move, in the end completely refused to eat. He was dying, and we couldn't understand why. We changed the food, and there was a miraculous improvement. This Royal Canin Hypoallergenic, made out of some feathers, is highly TOXIC! And the company itself is a crazy marketing machine.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I am using RC for my Lab since April, 2015 and my lab throws most of the time, please ensure quality checks. My dog's vomit issue is still there and I am switching him to other food.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

My Bassett hound mix was put on Royal Canin SO dog food because I was told she had crystals in her urine. Because it was so expensive I bought the first bag and put her back on her Pro Plan. But the vet talked me into putting her back on it. Tonight she got up to walk and was unsteady and shaking. My daughter who was here and has worked as a Vet technician for years said she was having a seizure. My baby was so scared and could not hold her bodily functions. It lasted for about 6-7 minutes but Thank God my daughter just held her until it passed. She says I can wait until morning to take her back to the Vet and to tell them I want to discontinue the Royal Canin because this didn't happen with her other food. After reading the complaints I definitely will.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2015

After 6 feedings of 1/2 cup of food at each feeding, I have a dog broken out in hives, back paws chewed, and very lethargic. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. Why does the food smell so bad? I am feeding two other dogs a dry food that smells good...

Original review: Nov. 27, 2015

I changed my English Bulldog's food to Royal Canin. She experienced the same symptoms other cats and dogs suffered; constipation at first then at the end diarrhea. I bought the food around August. I went back to her original food, but by then it was too late. She passed away Monday. I took her to the vet many times but they were unable to help her. DO NOT BUY THIS FOOD!!! I should've read the reviews before giving this food to my precious girl. I regret this terrible decision every day!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

After over a decade of doing well on "Wellness" canned food, my cat had high protein levels in her urine. This is common for older cats. The vet recommended switching to a lower protein food, stating that a Renal Support food was necessary, and sold us Royal Canin. My cat eats mostly canned food. She likes it but is vomiting. This is a cat that never vomits, not even hairballs. Can anyone recommend a renal support food that is NOT Royal Canin?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

For starters, let me address one issue. People come on here and read a few negative reviews about a product and immediately assume the product is bad as well as suddenly "relate" it to their issues. Their assumptions are often wrong. I look at sites like this like a hospital. Generally, you find sick people in the hospital and, generally, you only find people with complaints on sites like this. People with favorable comments don't often find a need to comment.

Now, I'm going to address this in relation to Royal Canin Pet Foods. People read a negative review about one product in the company's comprehensive line, and somehow equate that to all products being bad. No such assumptions can be made. Also, since much of Royal Canin's line is prescription dog foods being fed as therapy for existing conditions, if people don't have the outcome they desired, whether justifiably or not, they often blame the food. They already have dogs or cats that have a known chronic medical condition and, if the symptoms don't improve, they suddenly get worse, or the pet develops other symptoms they immediately blame the food. Maybe it's because their dog is aging or has developed another condition unrelated to the first and unrelated to the food.

In our specific experience, we have an eight year old, 130 lb mixed breed female sweetheart of a dog who had a history of urinary incontinence, urinary tract infections, and excessive production of struvite and oxalate crystals and stones in her bladder. We started her on Royal Canin Urinary SO five years ago and it has been a godsend. It reduces the level of mineral concentration in her urine to the point where it is almost clear. She hasn't had a crystal or stone issue, or a UTI, since we started her on the Royal Canin. Though she still has an occasional incontinence issue, it is largely controlled with medication and incidents are few and far between.

She loves the food, even I love the smell of it, and our other dogs find it so appealing that they will lick her dish for a taste when she is done. Our experience has been that it's a good product and we have no complaints (other than perhaps price). People are sensitive about their pets, and justifiably so, but anecdotal evidence about problems with a dog food, if not supported by recalls or scientific articles, are pretty well meaningless.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Pricey but my dogs like it. Size bag I want often not available or small pieces versus large. I want to avoid any product with god knows what toxic additives from China that could kill my dogs. My niece is a vet and she recommends Royal Canin and feeds her dogs that brand. I don't want food coloring to make the "vegetables" look bright green or orange or red to make the food look "meaty" to appeal to the owner. I am willing to pay for a quality product that I can rely on. Royal Canin smells appetizing to me and the dogs. I tried Blue Buffalo and found the smell rancid.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

The vet put my cats on the Urinary SO dry food. They did fine on it for about 3 years. Now they all vomit after they eat. One of them has diarrhea. Contacted Royal Canin, and was told there is nothing wrong with the food. Reading all of these posts -- obviously something is going on. It's concerning. Done feeding Royal Canin to my cats.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

We have a tricolor beagle named Miyu. We used to give her Alpo but when she was 6 months old, she began shedding excessively and scratched herself a lot. When we took her to the vet, we were advised to change her food to Royal Canin lamb meal. Since the switch, Miyu's shedding was lessened and her scratching returned to normal. She became more energetic too.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

My dog likes Royal Canin more than Natural Balance. I mix them. She eats the RC first. It's specifically for Chihuahua puppies. She always has bad breath after she eats but she is very healthy. I want to snuggle this little mouse dog but the breath is enough to gag you. She loves vegetables from Boston Market too. Maybe I will mix them all together. The RC smells like fried chicken. Of course she likes it. She likes meatloaf too.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I now try to use dog food which contains no food coloring, molded fake vegetables, or any ingredient from China. Since many well known brands use components from China without revealing that it is hard to choose a brand. A family member is a Vet and she uses and recommends Royal Canin.. My dogs like it and it makes firm stools. One of my dogs has to have a low fat diet so she gets some Royal Canin mixed with rice and chicken I cook.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

Was told by my vet that the issues that my English Bulldog was experiencing was due to his food. She suggested Royal Canin. After only 2 days yes only 2 days after eating this Garbage my dog began experiencing seizures. They were terrifying moments of head jerking total loss of control and almost paranoid delusions. I am not lying. I took video and showed it to my vet and she cried saying she was so sorry. I don't blame her. We have gone back to the original brand of dog food but changed the protein level and he seems to be doing a lot better. Personally I am fearful to other owners out there that just think the dog is being silly or a bad dog.

My vet has agreed to send off the remaining food to her lab to check for any adverse chemicals or additives. When this comes back I will write another review. If you read this and are thinking of using Royal Canin dog food please don't. I am not here to promote any particular brand but we have found that Blue Buffalo to be the best for OUR dog.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I look for dog food that will enhance my dog's coat, hair and skin, as well as provide good nutrition. I have a Shih Tzu show dog and have to keep his coat long. Food with grains and poor nutrition causes the dog to scratch and to become uncomfortable.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

My dog has had diarrhea for a complete month from this food. My baby boy is 11 years old and him and myself have not been able to sleep. He's had massive diarrhea since the beginning of trying any prescribed food. I want my money back from buying this food. I will see what is fit for him and so will I go through his vet for the guidance what's best for him since two different companies are being recalled for making dogs sicker.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I got the kitten dry food a couple of days ago. I have two five to six week old kittens. They are having diarrhea. Is that common? I know that their stomachs are not developed yet. But they seem to be doing really bad with this food. They are drinking. But it's really bad. If you can help please. I don't want to keep switching their food, it will make it worse. But I think that this kitten food is not good.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

My sister has been feeding this to her cat for a few years because he had been diagnosed with UTI. This food is primarily made of corn, which is not a good food source for our pets, especially cats. That aside, over the last few weeks, her cat has been losing hair and has flaky, dry skin. He has also been vomiting after eating every meal. She brought him to her vet (from whom she buys Royal Canin), and the vet told my sister that the cat must be allergic to chicken, which sent her on another wild goose chase. My sister passed the leftover food on to me to feed 6 of my foster cats. Every cat started vomiting after eating it. Royal Canin makes it profitable for vets to sell, and vets are rarely educated in pet nutrition, so they believe whatever their rep tells them.

I'd like to see all of Royal Canin lines exposed for the poor quality, overpriced food that it is. Compare the ingredients to other, reputable meat-based products like Orijen, which sells for the same amount and first several ingredients are meat (Boneless chicken, chicken meal, chicken liver, whole herring, boneless turkey, turkey meal, turkey liver, whole eggs, boneless walleye, whole salmon, chicken heart, chicken cartilage, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, chicken fat). The truth is, if your cat has a UTI issue, the best thing for him is NO DRY FOOD AT ALL. That is the natural way to prevent UTI. Cats in the wild rarely drink water because they get all the hydration they need from eating live prey.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

This is a great review not a bad one. Royal Canin renal cat food has saved my maine coon isis. She wasn't eating anything and was getting sickly so I had the vet check her out and I got some samples of the renal and now she is more healthy than I have ever seen her. She is doing great and acts like a kitten again and she is 9 years old. I will for sure 100% keep her on this food. It's darn expensive but it saved her so I will keep her on it!!! Proud of you Royal Canin. Keep it up ^_^ A very happy petmom LOL.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I have a healthy shih tzu that had 2 very small stones in her bladder so my vet had me change her food to Royal Canine SO. After 1 week she had severe pancreatitis and had to be hospitalized for several days. My vet wants me to put her back on this food too. Vets must be really brain washed into thinking this junk food is good for our pets. Never again! I went from having a healthy dog to one that is fighting for her life because of this food.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

Our cat was put on the Royal Canin Urinary SO diet back in May. He seemed to do ok with the first bag of dry food and cans of wet food. However, our most recent purchase in August made him sick. First of all, he stopped wanting to eat the wet food (the consistency was off). So he was eating mostly dry food and ended up very dehydrated and constipated and was having yellow soft stools when he actually was able to poop. He started developing rashes around his face and sores on his chin. We switched him to Dave's Restricted Diet Magnesium & Phosphorus wet food and he is now totally healthy. Something is definitely wrong with the Urinary SO food.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I began using Royal Canin Adult PR Feline in 2015. In the last month or so my cat has been throwing up right after eating. He also would just sit by his bowl and meow like I was feeding him poison. Apparently I was. I took him to the vet last week to see what was wrong. She said he might have stomach issues and sold me Prednisone and Ondansetron to help his stomach issues. After reading reviews of Royal Canin I decided to not administer the drugs and try just changing foods. He hasn't thrown up in several days now and is eating fine.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I am been giving this food to my dog for few years due to stones in his bladder and in the last 6 months was vomiting and didn't want to eat the food. And I took the bag of dry food back to the vet, thinking that was something wrong with the food. Lost a lot of weight and start giving him the canned food and now the same thing is happening and after reading the complaints, I am going to have to stop giving my dog this food.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I have been feeding my cat Royal Canin Urinary SO for almost 5 years since he was diagnosed with FUS and the vet prescribed this food for him. He has been doing great on it until this last bag. He has been vomiting large amounts of undigested food and white foam and now just refuses to eat all together. He has lost a lot of weight. I am at a loss as to what to feed him because all other food could potentially kill him (we've had close calls before). Time for a vet visit. This product has certainly changed and it's not for the better.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

There is something wrong with Royal Canin SO cat food. My cat threw it up then had diarrhea. He was so lethargic I told the vet to put him back on CD cat food. I called the company and they said there was nothing wrong with the food. Bull. The food was in date and he had no problems before.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

Royal Canine Feline Urinary SO - My cats had been doing very well on this food until the last few months and now they are vomiting undigested food - I am switching them to another food. I also noted that the food apparently kills flies very quickly. I change the dry food out every morning and started finding dead flies each morning in the food this summer. Very disturbing.

Royal Canin Pet Foods Company Information