2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Just purchased a bag of dog food..after feeding our dog we noticed maggots climbing out from dog. We were trying out a new brand. We basically just purchased the bag...not happy knowing our beloved pet ate it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have two cats that eat dry food every day and on occasion I feed them Friskies shredded canned cat food as a treat. My cats are six years old brothers and I’ve been feeding them Purina Friskies since I got them as kittens. When I fed them a can of Friskies 2 weeks ago, I knew there was something wrong. They weren’t overly excited about the food, but they ate it. The next day I noticed they hadn’t been drinking much or eating their dry food. They were throwing up and two days later I had to take them to the vet. They were not eating or drinking.

I looked on the Internet to see if there was any reports of a recall. I then noticed other people talking about bad Friskies canned food and certain batch numbers. I checked the Batch number on the can of food I had given the cats and to my horror, it ended in 1159. I also checked the other cans I had purchased and they all ended in 1159. The vet treated them for a gastrointestinal issue. My one cat finally recovered after 5 days and his brother was about 8 days, although he is not quite 100%. Needless to say I won’t be giving them any more Friskies canned food. I contacted Karina and they told me there was nothing wrong with the food, but I definitely disagree. Why are other people complaining about this Batch number??!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Large bags Purina Beyond Simply dog foods are NOT HEAT SEALED by Purina. Had been feeding my dog the small bags of Purina Beyond Simply lamb mixed with canned Purina grain-free chicken lamb spinach for years. All of a sudden she became violently ill, throwing up and nonstop diarrhea. This was a healthy dog. Regular vet visits etc. Though maybe it was a virus. Cooked home chicken "stew" and dog started getting better. Had ordered large bags from Amazon and then from Chewy. Opened a new large bag and added some of it and two spoons of canned as was eating before. Dog got really sick all over again. It has basically taken a month antibiotic and prescp probiotics to try to stop the vomiting and diarrhea.

I realized these bags of Beyond Simply food are Not Heat Sealed on bottom but rolled and taped by PURINA... is the food going rancid? Purina acknowledged the practice. So threw out hundreds of dollars worth of this Simply Beyond lamb food 6 large bag, new and not expired and about 20 cans as referenced above. Strangely that food had become unavailable in our Extended area? Purina store did not even sell that one. Odd, or did Purina know there was a problem? Purina sent coupons for the same canned foods. How nice...

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I started feeding my cat Purina Friskies 5 years ago after my vet exhausted all other options, stating it was better for her to eat something she liked than not eat at all. I'm not sure the outcome was any different. She started exhibiting signs of allergy (salmon pate) after 2 years, so I was told to switch to the chicken pate. She tolerated that for

We treated her with ** for 2 months, to which she responded well, until she started exhibiting signs of renal failure (acute blindness, loss of back legs, stopped eating, screaming out in pain if you touched her abdomen). She was dead within 5 days. No account of kidney damage had been mentioned on any of her lab work leading up to this final episode. I had to make the ultimate decision to end her suffering, as the vet stated that nothing could be done. He directly blamed Purina Friskies, stating that it was harmful to cats and should have never been recommended in the first place. Who is at fault? Surely it is Purina, whose countless lawsuits demonstrate that their food should not be sold to consumers. My precious daughter lost her life because of this company. Gone too soon, Anais 2003-2019.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My cats loved Purina Friskies and ate for a while, came across the sensation jellies sachets. Gave my cats the beef and tomato sensations sachets, only one cat decided to eat as the other 2 refused. Within a 30 minute period (all cats were playful and hyperactive before feeding) my feline friend was lethargic, vomiting, had diarrhea and serious trouble breathing. Rushes her to the vet where she was taken to the feline ICU. The vet said to remove any and all food that I had given that morning.

When I returned home, I did just that and fed the other 2 cats Whiskas. Had no issues. I contacted Purina immediately to which they stated "that couldn't happen with our food". The first and last time that type of flavour/type was used. No previous incidents like this had ever occurred with my cats. Purina asked for the boxes and packets back and full refund. Still hasn't happened.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I have bought 3 large bags of Pro Plan over the last few months at $50+ a bag. Each bag had moths that after a few days were all inside the container. Each time this happened I gave them another chance and each time moths again. I have just bought another bag and put it into an air right container, if moths come again I will not buy another bag.

Larry

Hot Springs, Ar

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Just opened a bag of Purina One SmartBlend Healthy Weight dog food and there are moths and larva in the food!!! Do not buy this food! I’m returning to PetSmart and reporting this to them as well. Upon looking closely with a flash light there is silky stringy stuff on the food with little larvae pieces attached.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

It is 4am and I was woken up by the sound of my baby vomiting. I have been cleaning vomit and diarrhea for an hour. My cat is my 1st baby. She is indoor, never having to be exposed to many threats. For almost a year now she has had bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. They are not regular, but at least once a month she trails it through my house. I have taken her to the Dr. at least 4x (can't afford). They can't find anything wrong. After tonight's huge pile of vomit consisting of dry food and mucus, it started to dawn on me. She has been eating Fancy Feast and Purina gentle dry. I'm both thankful and horrified that I found this site. I've been making my baby sick.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Our son's kitten became lethargic, is barely drinking water, anything that goes down with a dropper comes back up. No diarrhea because nothing has stayed down. She had Purina Fancy Feast kitten food. I have to give one star. I wish I could add none.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We recently started feeding our 2 female dogs Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Beef and Rice and one of them has been extremely sick (vomiting, constipated, drinking lots of water but struggling to urinate) for the past 3 days while the other dog is starting to show the same symptoms. Our vet took an X-ray of the stomach and found lots of gas and kibble trapped in the intestines.

Original review: July 28, 2019

Fed Purina ONE dry dog food to my 2 dogs last week, after switching from another brand, just thought for once I’d take advantage of a sale. Had fed purina one to a previous dog years ago and she had no issues, it was always the go-to decent but not too expensive food. Never any issues so I thought nothing of it. Boy, was I wrong! Fed both my pit bull and my Doberman on day one, the Doberman smelled the food and hesitated to eat, but did. By the end of that day he had diarrhea. The next morning I awoke to find a couple puddles of vomit and clearly it was the food in the vomit. Some completely undigested stuff too. By the end of that day he was lethargic, and just hovered over his water bowl, only sipping water.

The next day, he started trying to hide, and just dragged himself when he walked, like a limp noodle, he refused to eat and barely drank or sipped anything, but he kept trying. He had thrown up again that morning twice, then by the end of the night, a few more times, each time being more pungent and foul smelling. It seemed even though he wouldn’t eat, there was still pieces of food undigested from that first feeding of purina one.

The next day, was more vomiting and he couldn’t even get up to vomit, just threw up on his front paws. He hadn’t even pooped since his initial diarrhea. He would throw up just minutes after even a few sips of water every time he tried. He could barely walk. I was cooking dinner then heard a thump and he just collapsed in the bathroom doorway. I helped him back to a comfortable sleeping spot, bundled him with blankets and spooned little spoons of water into his mouth, he tried and swallowed, only to throw up. He got to the point he wouldn’t take in anymore, and I stayed with him long as I could then went to bed. I awoke just hours later after a nap, to find him passed away.

The pit bull threw up after a few feedings, normal color, etc., but after continuing on purina one, just 4 days after his friend passed away, he threw up the familiar color and smell of vomit that the Doberman displayed. The pit bull didn’t seem to even want to get up to be sick. With the similar symptoms being displayed, in throwing the bag of purina one in the trash, as it is too coincidental not to be the culprit. I’m pretty sure my pit bull will be ok as long as he doesn’t eat any more purina poison. I suspect a toxin that takes time to purge, and pets who have eaten much of the food, or are already weakened due to age or existing illness may be more susceptible to succumbing to a horrible death of wasting away. Just a theory.

Purina needs to get their act together and recall the pet food. It is traumatizing as owners to go through watching our family members go through this, and has got to be causing pets pain and suffering. I will never buy purina products again and will opt for more expensive food if that’s what I have to do. Thanks to purina, I’ve lost my best friend, a beautiful Doberman who I rescued and promised a better life. My pit bull should be fine but there’s no way in hell I’m giving him your poison food!

Original review: July 15, 2019

I am a veterinarian who has battled with the Purina Pet food company for 2 years now. They offer shipping, but can't ever seem to get it right. So I have to ask: If you constantly make mistakes with your orders, how can I expect you can make pet food without mistakes? Hmmmm. As soon as I asked that question, Sandy **, a so-called manager just told me to go buy food somewhere else. And that is exactly what I will do! BaBye Purina.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I just change from Iams to Purina One, wanted to try it because there were no Iams left... I did the change gradually like they recommend so the first week was half and half, the second week was only Purina One and that is when she started refusing to eat and it is not her style. She always had a good appetite, and then she started to hide more which was unusual because she likes to be with me in the living room. Then now she started vomiting all over the place!! I got worried and she refuse to eat their food! I gave her a Friskies can of salmon and she ate it all!! So, there you go, the proof right there!! Soo angry!!

Original review: July 5, 2019

Gave this food to my cats because our regular food was at our pet store which was closed for that day. My elder cat became lethargic and have a seizure. My baby kitten vomited up nothing but this food product. Both cats scream howled in pain while experiencing this. They are indoor pets not exposed to chemicals and fed a a consistent single product organic diet which they thrive on. This product is the only deviance. I hope to hell that my cats are not going to die as has happened in so many of the above reviews! Never buying this product again. Your company is dangerous and should not still be open.

Original review: June 14, 2019

On July 24th 2018 I fed my cats a new food, Purina Tender and Crunchy Combo. I purchased a 3 Ib bag of this via Walmart.com, thinking I would try something new. I fed this to my 8 cats, as a small snack, only 1 time. The biggest mistake I wish that I never had made. At first it was not that big of deal. It started the following morning, I awoke to one of my cats vomiting. Innocent enough because this has happened occasionally, if I used something different or they have hairballs. I quickly saw that this was so much more than that. By the end of that Sunday night all 8 were vomiting, to the point where it was almost pure blood. This was upwards of 100 times when it was all said and done.

I called the only available vet for being a weekend. He was convinced a toxin had to be in the food and said to throw it out. He was hopeful if the vomiting subsided that the cats would improve without needing vet care. This was the case for 6 of my 8, however, sadly I lost 2 of my kitties at 2 and at 4 days. The whole experience was agonizing by the end. To see what they were going through and know that I caused it by giving them something that I thought they would like.

Purina, in essence, killed my cats. If it was not for that purchase of their product I would still have my Little Man and Mario. I contacted Purina two days into the ordeal, requesting they pay for a vet visit. They finally gave in after the first cat died. So I made the appointment, I went to let my Mario know he was getting help only a few minutes after leaving the room. When I returned, he was no longer breathing. The injustice in that I cannot even explain or ever reconcile with. Mario was cheated.

I am an educated woman, I have been through a lot raising cats and am extremely knowledgeable about cat behavior and health. Yet I was completely unaware of how bad these 2 were doing until it was too late, and I KNOW that it was this food that harmed them. I am still in the process of getting justice for my Little Man and my Mario. At this point, Purina takes no accountability. They are in process of testing the food, but I am looking for more trustworthy entities to do so as well. I will wait and see.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I noticed feeding my cats the Purina brand cat food it's like they can't get full! One ate himself into obesity and became diabetic, now I am administering insulin to him twice a day. Yikes! So I monitor the others and every time they see me they go to their bowls like Purina doesn't satisfy them but has an addictive agent that makes them want more and it bloats them! I will be making the slow transition over to Tractor Supply's dry food. Something's gotta change. Purina's food is doing something horrible. I want them to eat but not gorge themselves and get health related problems. Goodbye Purina. I know you're messing with your ingredients to form addicts!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I am extremely angry that this company is still in business! My 8 year old friend has been sick for two weeks. Had her to the vet after diarrhea and frequent urinating, vomiting and lethargic. Now on antibiotics and pro biotics for 5 days and a diet of chicken, and veggies. She hasn't been herself. No jumping or playing. For a week and a half. Day 10 and we let her eat your food once again and we're back to square one with 8 piles of vomit one with blood clots and diarrhea. Haven't tried this brand before til a month weeks ago. I have to say I will never purchase it again and will be sure to spread the word of your toxic food. I'm at work at the moment extremely scared and hurt. This company is disgusting. Making yet again another vet appointment. Praying our baby can survive this nightmare! No more of your poison in my baby. You should be ashamed!

Original review: May 6, 2019

My Sophie was put on this food prescribed by the vet. I ordered the food from a website that was on the Tigard Animal Clinic’s website. They referred it. The vet said it wouldn’t hurt if my other furry kid JT ate it too. I received the food on Thursday and fed both. Took JT to the vet on Saturday as he was vomiting and diarrhea with blood. I fed him sweet potato and meds. He was fine later that day. Then on Wednesday Sophie has vomiting and diarrhea. From Thursday on, she became lethargic, wouldn’t eat, and vomit after drinking water. Her hind legs were so weak she couldn’t stand. Took her to the vet on Saturday to find her temp was low.

They did bloodwork and almost everything was failing. I was forced to make the decision. She was taken away from me at top speed with this food. She was fine before she ate this. No lethargic, eating and drinking normal. Walked, played, barked, and breathed normal. I know it was the food that elevated. JT survived because he’s bigger and stronger than Sophie. She’s just 4 lbs. She couldn’t handle the toxins from this food. Please take it off the market as it’s killing our furry kids. I’m devastated and blamed myself for allowing them to eat this brand. I’ll never forgive myself for her pain, suffering, and shortened life. My baby girl wouldn’t have gone this soon.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Our three cats have been eating Fancy Feast as a wet food for many years. One age is 8 years old the other two is 13. My eight year old started vomiting profusely and has now lost half his weight. The other two started throwing up but when we stopped feeding them Fancy Feast they stopped puking. I'm afraid I cannot save my 8 year old boy and I'm very disappointed that I cannot trust a company who has been around for many years. Shame on you Purina/Mars. If there was a lawsuit I'd be all over it making sure you paid for all the losses that you've caused. I tell everyone do not buy Purina ever. I don't know how you sleep at night!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My cat had been eating Science Diet for 11 years. A few months ago he stopped eating it so I was forced to try something new. I chose Purina One chicken formula, and he loved it. In under two months he had a urinary tract infection that completely blocked his urethra. Before he showed symptoms, bladder stones started to form. He just had emergency surgery to remove those stones. My vet is almost positive it was the food he was eating, though the stones have yet to be analyzed.

FLUTD is not common in cats his age, which is another reason my vet believes the Purina food is to blame. He's already on a prescription Science Diet food (whether he likes it or not) and will be for the remainder of his life thanks to Purina. It caused my cat over a week of pure misery, and it cost over $2500 in vet bills to bring him home alive.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I had been purchasing at Sam's Club and giving to my 3-1/2 year old Shih Tzu. She loved them. She became a very picky eater and started vomiting and diarrhea. She developed a urinary tract infection and had bad reactions to the antibiotics. Took her back to the vet and they did chest xrays to find out she has a nickel size stone that developed in her bladder. They said it could be due to dietary or hereditary. She goes in for surgery in a few days. Decided to read the reviews and surprised to see so many complaints. Sorry I did not check sooner. Hoping surgery goes well. Expensive lesson. I would suggest pet owners stop using this product. Pray for my Mimi.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This was my cat's favourite cat food until recently. I found these reviews and realised these cats are having the same health issues as my cat. Lethargic, high temperatures, kidney problems, won't eat, throwing up, Vet doesn't know what's wrong. He is 3 years old. When he got sick we only fed him Purina as it was his favourite and the most expensive. Now he won't go near it. This is appalling. It should all be recalled.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been buying Friskies wet food for my cats for several years, but recently (around the time labeling was changing), my cats starting refusing it. When they did eat it, they immediately threw up, and became lethargic. I didn't make the connection until last night, when I opened a can of Friskies, and the smell was so bad, I couldn't give it to my cats. I opened other cans, gave it to them, and they ate it, but immediately threw up---all 6 of them. I feel if I continue buying this food, my cats will become seriously ill. Even though the higher quality foods are more expensive, I feel my cats will be saved from future diseases and illnesses. I look like Purina to come clean, and tell us what they put in the Friskies wet food for real-something is not right.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My cat thrived on Friskies pate, wet food, until two months ago. Now she won't touch it. I began researching on the internet, and found dozens of sites talking about how Purina had changed the formulation, and cats were getting sick and dying. My cat, when she ate the latest purchase, began vomiting and having a diarrhea. Now she will eat nothing and is wasting away. In every instance I found, Purina is denying any responsibility.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have several cats, they have eaten Naturals Originals for over a year without any problems. About a year ago they started to vomit - because the cats love the flavor so much I tried Naturals indoor, they vomited and started coughing up blood. I wrote to Purina and they blew me off. I started feeding them Naturals grain free, the cats stopped coughing up blood, but they got scabbed up and continued to vomit. They have also been eating kitten chow and meow mix. I stopped the Naturals completely, they no longer vomit and the scabs are cleaning up. Something is not right in the Naturals cat food.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Hello. Our little princess crossed the Rainbow bridge in late 2018 when she went into respiratory crisis after it was discovered she had fluid, out around the lung sacks that returned within hours of being extracted. She had a kitty cough and soreness when picked up from under her abdominal/chest area. Kitty coughs are not common. Hacking up a fur ball IS, it’s not the same thing. If your kitty has a cough get it to a clinic for a chest X-ray. Early in 2018 she had a bout of Pancreatitis which she was hospitalized for. This was after She was refusing to eat her fancy feast which she had eaten for the majority of 18 years. This is in line with some of the complaints here.

I have a fairly young adult cat (5) who is a great eater who has been off his food. He eats almost all varieties of FF and doesn’t want anything else, so I have been trying to sort out what he has going on. I did not suspect his food until I came across these complaints. It has been odd, because he is still eating, and hungry, he is just refusing some of his FF, so I have suspended his FF until I can get this sorted and bought some ridiculously expensive pet store cat food which he wolfs down like normal. He has been running around like a hellion all day as fast as he can instead of lethargically laying around.

So I have been in contact with Purina and I am investigating. We have on average 10 outdoor homeless kitties we feed Friskies which also has some complaints, so I think inquiry and research is warranted. We have many colony caretakers who are feeding these foods exclusively as well. There is a need to know if there are genuine risks.

For those who believe you are having/had food related problems, can you please indicate what type or variety there has been a suspected issue with, with the dates and lot numbers from the cans. If it was a while ago even the type/variety is helpful and a timeframe when these fur babies were ill. I am trying to research and crunch the numbers to provide the information to Purina and some other impartial entities as well. If you can pinpoint a specific variety/food type and lot number, you are currently feeding, please do not discard it all.

Please send it to be tested by the FDA or whatever the governing agency is in your country or other well known independent laboratories. Without specifics, it’s difficult to triangulate where the problem lies if indeed one truly exists, when this is produced and distributed in mass. Usually there might be a lot or partial lot that is problematic. If they changed the source of a common ingredient that is sole sourced and could be in every can of food, then timeframes are critical. They have to look at person, place and thing to identify and locate the origin of the problem. There is a certain amount of raw data you need to do that and some of it is missing from the current complaints.

I am impartial at the moment, I have been a satisfied Purina customer for 35 years and have never had a problem or questioned the food until now. I just want to make sure our fur babies do not continue to be at risk, if indeed there is a problem. I am not jumping to any conclusions, Purina deserves a fair shake, But I have been experiencing this first hand and some things do make me question if something in the last 18 months has changed regarding these cat foods. So, please help with this research if you can. Knowing that a specific variety/type and lot/date is being fed with no adverse effects is just as helpful right now because we have caretakers sitting on cases of Purina food who need to know if it’s safe to feed any of what they have. I’m hoping ConsumerAffairs will publish this and that we can all work together to find some answers. Thank you for reading this review.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast canned food for years but lately, from 24 pack to 24 pack the consistency is different. My car has refused to eat any from this new 24 pack after getting sick. Even the cartels in my neighborhood are refusing to eat. Just noticed these are now prepared in France and only distributed from a USA location. Based on the other recent comments I think we have a RECALL in order!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I fed my now deceased two Shih Tzus Purina One for 17 years without any problems. With that for encouragement, I decided to give Purina Pro Plan Focus a try since I had new Shih Tzus for my breeding program. It is one of the few dog foods on the market that does not contain soy, peas, carrots, and other ingredients believed to affect the number of puppies in a litter.

The hair on one of my Dams became very brittle, and her coat thinned considerably. All the dogs (7 in total) constantly ate their poop (we pick up immediately when possible); they occasionally had diarrhea; and they also ate dirt and grass. Eating grass is normal - if the dog is nauseous. They always seemed hungry. At least 4 of them started throwing up several times a week. The puppies in one litter had diarrhea or loose stools; I started them on probiotics, cheese, dewormed, and switched dog food brands. Although the dog food I switched the dogs to has the ingredients believed to affect litter numbers, my dog’s health comes first! They love their new food (one that’s tried and true, and what I wish I stuck with before giving Pro Plan a try), and all health problems improved within 24 hours.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Updated: We lost Cedric the Pyrador this morning at 4:30. I've taken my rottweiler off that toxic mess and put him on something else entirely. Cedric's death seems to be part of a pattern with this food. I called Purina and let them have it yesterday over all this, but it didn't seem to faze them. People, PLEASE listen to me: DO NOT LET YOUR BABIES ANYWHERE NEAR PURINA DOG FOOD. Our babies deserve better than a dog food company that keeps making food that can and will kill them.

Original review: I started my pyrador on the SmartBlend chicken and rice two months ago. Before this Cedric was a full time eating machine. After finishing the first bag I bought another. He stopped eating and has lost so much weight. He is very weak and has greenish diarrhea. I've started feeding him plain rice to get anything into his system because I can't afford to go to the vet. This is not my little boy!!! I'm scared to death of losing him, and he's not even 8 years old yet. Someone needs to pull this crap off the shelves NOW!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We have been feeding all our cats, (feral, strays and our own) Kitten Chow and Friskies can food for a very long time now. In the past few months, they have developed scabs, began to vomit/diarrhea and most have died. The ones that have survived had stopped eating the food a long time ago. We have taken them to the vet and he can't find a reason for it. Every vet we have taken them to have asked us what they got into. We don't use pesticides at all and neither does our neighbors. We are heartbroken. We didn't know others were having similar problems until this past week when most of our beautiful strays, ferals and our own kitties passed away.

It starts with vomiting/diarrhea. Lethargy and trouble walking. Dehydration. They stop eating and drinking. Blood work comes back fine. We can only treat the symptoms. It seems the recipe has changed and no one said anything. Shame on you Purina and Friskies and Mars and Nestle. To all who has gone thru this, my heart is with you. Our hearts are shattered to the point where we may never find all the pieces.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information