3.68/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: April 16, 2012

We started a new bag of Pro Plan large breed puppy chicken and rice dog food for our 5month old on Thursday and he has been so sick. Shortly after starting the new bag of food, he was having violent diarrhea. We took him to the vet on Friday and got some medicine to help slow down the diarrhea and when we started introducing the food back to his diet, he threw it up soon after he ate it and had more diarrhea. We have since been feeding him homemade food suggested by the vet to get through the weekend and we fed him our full grown lab dog food, chicken and rice food this morning and he did not throw it back up. I think there is something wrong with the Pro Plan food. We purchased the food in the big bag at the Petsmart on Winchester Ave. in Memphis last week. We have another bag of food that we will take back to the retailer today.

Please check this food lot to make sure it's not bad in some way - my purpose for sending this communication is for you to check the food lot. I don't want other dogs to get sick.

Original review: April 16, 2012

I ran out of cat food the other night and of course, the pet stores were closed. I ran into Sobeys 24-hour and picked up a bag of Purina Cat Chow Weight Management. Within a few hours, 2 of our 3 cats were vomiting. I found it odd that they were healthy a few hours earlier. The next morning, I went to the store to get one of our regular foods (Iams) and replaced it for the Purina. One of the two cats seems better, but the 8-month old is still vomiting and having trouble breathing. Now I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to take her to the vet. I am hoping she sleeps it off and is fine, but I am shocked by all the similar stories posted here.

I will be calling Purina tomorrow and voicing my concerns for all that is worth. I will also be calling a few local papers and TV stations to see if there is an interest in probing this further. Purina has just made my decision to switch to a vet food that's much easier. It may be more expensive, but after taking into account vet bills, I think it will save me money in the long run and my peace of mind is worth the extra cash as well. My cats are a joy and I can't believe I was so cheap to buy them this crap in the first place. Shame on me.

Original review: April 16, 2012

First time buying Purina Cat Chow Weight Management. The cats all started frothing, foaming and gagging. My kitten is so sick and has been for days. We switched back to normal food the day after, but she's still heaving and her breathing is off. I'm worried about her health and she is going to the vet tomorrow.

Original review: April 13, 2012

On Sunday, April 8th, I fed my beloved 10-year old Siamese/Birman cat Fancy Feast Grilled Tuna. I usually smell the can's contents but was in a hurry and did not check the contents. My cat ate her 3 pm meal and all seemed all right. I went out and came home. All was well until 10 pm when suddenly Nylablue sat bolt upright and started 'slurping' then she projectile vomited on the living room rug. It was the tuna I had fed her at 3pm undigested! It smelled like feces and was a yellowish/tan color. After three sessions of vomiting, she ran to the litterbox and had explosive diarrhea that was the same color and smelled like the vomit. The diarrhea went on until 12:30 am and we fell asleep around 2 am. I rushed Nylablue to Vet on Monday and my Vet did a thorough check and said it was food poisoning! My girl had Sub Q fluids and a Cerenia injection, total of $94.

Nylablue did not eat all Monday or Tuesday nor drink water. I rushed her back to Vet on Wednesday and once again we did Sub Q fluids and a Prednisone injection plus pilling her with Mirtazipine to stimulate her appetite. She was put on Vet food which she ate for a day. Last night, Nylablue had the biggest poop I have ever seen and she is only 10 lbs. The Vet says it was the poison leaving her system. Nylablue is still on the mend and it will be a while before we know if there is any permanent damage done. She is still listless and lethargic.

It took three days to speak to someone at Purina office. I called a total of 10 times and sent two emails. I had to leave a belligerent message to get a phone call. The email I was sent suggested I bought a dented can of food. I was enraged as I check every can and I pack them at the grocery store myself. After 1+ hour on the phone with the customer care rep, she told me a courier would come and get the eight remaining cans of Grilled Tuna and analyze them. The man did show up today. I have an extra can here in case I need a separate test done. Supposedly the Purina Vet was to contact my Vet but he has not called at all!

I am to mail in copies of the Vet bills and some accounting firm representing Purina will consider making some sort of payment, maybe if I qualify. I told the rep if Nylablue dies because of poisoned cat food, there will be ** to pay! I was a loyal Purina customer for 40 years and to be treated with such disdain was unforgivable. I am sharing my story with everyone I know who has a cat or dog because now that I have experienced this, I want people to know Purina's food is no good! I am praying Nylablue will survive. God help them if she doesn't!

Original review: April 13, 2012

I purchased Beyond One Cat Food from a jewel store which I shop at often. When I got home, there was a $2 coupon inside the bag that was expired. I was so embarrassed when I tried to use it on my next visit to the store to find out that it was expired! I am not one to complain, but I spend the extra dollar on my pets' food to get top quality! I also have a dog, along with my 2 cats. So I actually put my pets' health into Purina's hands! I am letting my friends and family know of my disappointment with your company and its product! Pay attention to your consumers and their pets!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: April 12, 2012

I have bought my three cats Purina dog food for years and have never had a problem until yesterday. I fed my cats the Deli Cat Purina dry food and 5 hours later, one cat was foaming at the mouth, my other two cats were on their side having multiple seizures. I took one cat to the clinic and the vet told me that the cat's condition was similar to insecticide poison. I would be more inclined to believe the insecticide if it wasn't for my indoor cat Bernie. Bernie has not had any contact with the other two outdoor cats and has never gone outside ever. They all ate the same food at the same time though and they all had the same symptoms at the same time.

Luckily, my indoor cat Bernie may survive but it looks like he has permanent nerve damage in his back from the seizures. Sadly, one of my outdoor cats has already died and the other cat is still having seizures. I'm extremely hurt and saddened that I unknowingly gave my cats this deadly food. The best I can do is to try and warn other pet owners that there is something fatal in Purina dry foods that are killing our pets. I will never buy Purina again and advise others not to do it also.

Original review: April 9, 2012

I gave my precious Chihuahua mix (10 lbs) her first Purina Busy Bone (mini size) and after she consumed it, she began to heave and vomit for most of the night. I took her to the vet in the morning where she died during their attempts to save her.

Original review: April 9, 2012

I bought Kibble 'n Bits, net wt. 3.6 lbs, grilled chicken flavor. Before I complained to the company, they ask for many scoops of the product to analyze. The response was nothing was wrong. They sent a $1.50 value coupon and also a note attached rudely that they are not going to send me another coupon any long. I did try again and my pet still develops diarrhea and loss appetite for consuming this product. Anyway, I am not going to buy this product again.

Original review: April 8, 2012

Purina One for cats Indoor (Hairball & reg.) Weight Mgmt: After reading complaints at this product, it makes me wonder whether this is the root of my 15 year old DSH cat's undiagnosed condition by multiple vets for the past few years now! He had been on those crunchies for most of his life along with canned Friskies, 9Lives and Fancy Feast. But a few years ago, he drastically went from being nearly obese to malnourished-looking dropping 5lbs+. Fast! Also, he vomited bile along with the crunchies daily, had an insatiable appetite and howled to no end throughout the day, along with drinking a lot of water. Multiple tests and vets later, the latest diagnosis has been undetermined as well, but now with a regimen of him taking 1/4 tab of Prednisolone every other day to daily and a 1/4 tab of human Pepcid AC.

That started a few mths ago, now he has his good and bad days, but mostly good compared with before. The vomiting has decreased more or less, along with the howling, but he still hasn't gained much any weight, drinks tons of water and has a ravenous appetite but is a bit less aggressive at forcing me to feed him at meal times. Recent urinalysis strip indicated no diabetes and bloodwork has been fine his whole life. He is a completely indoor cat and has never had parasites/worms. Thought I'd share in case this hits home or can help another pet owner or someone can help me as well if someone has shared the same experience or these symptoms ring a bell, etc.

This issue is paramount to me because this cat is like a son to me as I'm sure countless pet owners can relate to. I have no children and have had him since I was nearly a child 15 years ago. Sadly, there is an unethical injustice in our world that deems animals' lives are not worth as much as ours and if these same endorsers of this creed knew the love one can have for an animal and vice versa, they would undoubtedly have an instantaneous change of heart.

Original review: April 6, 2012

My cat was violent after eating Purina One Smart Blend Salmon & Tuna Flavor. This first occurred a couple of months ago. My cat Jasper was vomiting constantly for a 72-hr period. I took him to the vet after 1.5 day. He is 18, and I thought his kidneys were failing, etc. I spend about $400 (which I don't have) running tests. The vet gave me an antibiotic, which I started immediately. I also switched his food, as Purina is not his normal food. I typically buy him Blue, but I can't get it everywhere. So I had bought Purina in the interim. Feeling bad he was sick, I made it a point to get the food he likes, a toy, and snacks.

He got better within about 24 hours, and I thought the antibiotic worked. Going back to the vet a few days later, he had gained some weight back (He was down 2 lbs, only weighs 11), and the vet told me his results showed no sign of infection. We were both very surprised, and she suggested that perhaps the lab was inaccurate.

Shoot to this week when I ran out of food and gave my cat some of the Purina I still had sitting around, there is the same response. He's vomiting after eating big piles of food. I took the food away immediately, and he was better.

I finally searched tonight, and I am angry, appalled, and confused why I have found hundreds upon hundreds of complaints of animals getting sick from this crap and nothing has been done about it! Why are they still selling food? Why has there been no recall or announcement? Why aren't vets advised? Why has there been no civil suit? Why do so many animals have to get sick? I am beside my self, and I wish I was a lawyer or knew one. When is someone going to do something about this?

Original review: March 31, 2012

I have been using Purina One cat food for years. I just recently changed to Purina One urinary tract health formula. On the second bag on food, my cat started throwing up food just after eating, not keeping anything down. Eight hours after eating, I decided to check her mouth, thinking that maybe there was an issue with her teeth. I found her back teeth covered in this food eight hours later! My thoughts were, "What is this doing to her system?" I called my vet and had all tests done, and found out that she has Pancreatitis. I was told about these issues with Purina food from a friend today. Her son has issues with his dog and she mentioned issues with Purina food. I am blown away and very upset with the stories I am hearing/reading on this and how it is so similar to my cat. I am so glad that she brought this to my attention. There needs to be something done about this!

Original review: March 31, 2012

Every time I feed my cat Purina, he is ill. He has fits that are like epileptic fits. I took him off it and he was better. Then when my usual cat food was unavailable, I bought more Purina to see if it was in fact true. And like clockwork, he has just had two fits in one night! I am beyond furious! There are so many complaints online about Purina making their animals sick! I am not gonna keep quiet about this.

Original review: March 30, 2012

My cat has been throwing up on and off for the last few days. I thought it was hairballs, and gave him cat lax. Today, he threw up liquid, and has not been interested in eating. I have another cat who seems healthy, but is reluctant to eat the cat food as well. Both cats are seniors, and typically very healthy. I have never seen them reluctant to eat. I have been feeding them Purina Cat Chow indoor formula, which I bought from Walmart.

Original review: March 28, 2012

My beloved family pet is in vet hospital right now fighting for his life with pancreatitis. Reading these reviews on Purina products disgusts and angers me greatly. My buddy Banjo is a 2 and 1/2 year old mini Schnauzer. He has always been a happy, active pet. About 2 weeks ago, he started showing signs like vomiting just bile, black diarrhea and just an overall lethargy with shivering and excessive thirst. For the past week, he would not eat anything at all and was losing weight. Being recently separated and cut to a very low pay by company, I have been living with my mother on an extremely fixed income so we're trying everything we could to not bring him into the vets and having it cost us money we just don't have. Him being part of our family and us loving him very much made the decision to bring him in to the vet a necessity.

X-rays after x-rays and blood work, and finally exploratory surgery, they found he was dying with pancreatitis. Now he is struggling for his life and all I can think about is how I thought I was doing him good feeding him Alpo made by Purina instead of cheap **, when all the while it is the reason he's where he is now. The fact that this company knows their product is killing their consumers' friends and family members and they are too greedy and heartless to even find out why, not to mention pulling this poison off the shelves to stop this slaughter, sickens and angers me beyond any anger I have ever felt. I believe that these greedy ** should pay for what they are doing instead of profit. I can't afford a lawyer or even these vet bills, but I will not stop lobbying to see something done about this. Are they just dogs or cats? Or are they loved family members? Help fight with me please?

Original review: March 27, 2012

I had read all of this when I filed my complaint with Purina and ended up dealing with Sedgwick. I was angry that my dog fell ill after I changed him to Purina One and Alpo a couple of weeks prior after feeding Chef Michael's for years. I have to say that Jennifer ** was very professional in her dealings, even when I was angry and confrontational. To my surprise, I received a call from her last week and she was able to resolve the issues I had when my beloved Yorkie and his daughter fell ill. The only thing that is still outstanding is having Purina send for the food samples to check. I truly understand the anger when my dog almost died and couldn't stand up or walk but I have to say give them a chance. Without a team effort, we couldn't have dealt with this.

Original review: March 27, 2012

I gradually switched my dog's food from Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice to Purina One Smartblend Lamb and Rice on Friday, March 16, 2012. By Thursday, March 22, 2012, she was vomiting and stopped eating. On Friday the 23rd, she continued to vomit bile, fluids and blood. The vet diagnosed her with possible pancreatitis. Her amylase and lipase blood results exceeded the linearity range of their analyzer. She will remain on IV therapy until she can keep the food down and her blood results go back to normal. Hopefully, that will occur tomorrow.

Purina products will never make it into my home again. I hate to see animals suffer and I would rather make my dog fresh chicken and rice soup every day than take a chance on another dog food again. If her pancreas isn't destroyed, I can maybe put her back on Nature's Recipe, which is a brand that I can trust.

Original review: March 23, 2012

My Scotties and Westies ranging from 5-10 years have been eating Purina One Lamb & Rice for 7 years. Up until now, they have been healthy dogs. I have trusted Purina for over 40 years. Recently in June of 2011, they changed the formula to Smart Blend. After that I began having various problems with my dogs. Please let me add that they eat no table scraps or any other food, just strictly this formula. They are indoor dogs and do not have access to free range to roam off of our property, it is all fenced in and controlled.

My Sophie became lethargic, depressed, drinking and urinating a lot. I took her for a workup. She had developed kidney failure that rapidly progressed. Despite all efforts and 3 months later, she died on 3/21/2012. She had had blood testing done 2 years prior had no problems. I also have more than one with loose bowels and blood in stool 2 of them I just took in to be checked fecal and exam done no parasites, etc. One of those has blood in his urine and bladder is greatly enlarged. They are doing exploratory on him this week. The urinalysis came back inconclusive. No more Purina food ever for any of my pets. We are also removing Horse, Goat and Chickens off of Purina foods.

Original review: March 22, 2012

The Healthy Morsels dog food’s bag was not sealed at the bottom. I left Wal-Mart with it and got ready to carry it in the house. Then, the bottom came loose and dumped the dog food on the ground. It was wet outside, so most of the food was ruined.

Original review: March 22, 2012

I have been feeding my dogs Purina Dog Chow for years and have not had any problems. Within the last two months, I started feeding my black lab Purina One with Glucosamine in it because his joints were starting to slow him down and he is hurt. He started feeling better and started to play with my younger female black lab a lot more and he was not crying when he laid down or got up. I was happy because I thought I would get a few more years out of him. He was 11.

He started to get constipated and I thought it was because I changed his food, so I mixed his food with milk and it helped. Then he started to not be able to walk very well and his back legs would not support him. I noticed a lump by his tail and the worse it would get, the harder it was for him to walk. That weekend, March 9th through March11, he started crying at night after we went to bed. He was in bad shape on that Saturday, so my wife took him to the vet and they said that he had herniated his intestine and everything he ingested was going into his body because it was leaking out of his digestive tract. It was an impossible surgery to do because it would have paralyzed him, so the vet told my wife to tell me to enjoy the little time I had left with him.

That Sunday morning at about 4:00 am, he woke us up with his crying and I lay down for a few hours with him until I was in tears because he was hurting so bad. We had to take him to the emergency clinic and have him put down. That was the worst thing I have ever had to deal with and it broke my heart.

Original review: March 21, 2012

My 12-year-old healthy indoor cat died today at Cornell, after as yet unexplained multiple problems that started last week. My other cat is currently inpatient at our local vet, and the 3rd cat has been vomiting at home. The cats' blood tests showed very low protein and potassium and possibly liver and heart problems. I started using Purina ONE urinary dry food about 2 months ago, as the cat still at home has a urinary problem (rather than buy the very expensive urinary food the vet recommended). Now, as I am reading the other postings, I recognize the symptoms. Hopefully, my 2 remaining cats will recover.

Original review: March 21, 2012

My 3 and a half year old dog almost died last week due to a disease we never heard before - HGE. Combined with possible Pancreatitis, it was something that caught us completely off guard. We come home from work to find a ton of blood in his stool. We rush him to the vet. He is severely dehydrated, his red blood cell count is high, he isn't eating, he’s lethargic, and we were scared out of our minds. Both my dogs were on a Purina Pro Plan diet, both hard and soft food (salmon).

We come home from the store one day with a new bag of the hard food and neither of our dogs wanted to eat it. We thought nothing of it, thought they were just being finicky so sat down with them and fed it to them by hand. The next day, they refused to eat it at all. Their breakfast bowls were full when we got home from work. So we made them dinner (chop meat and rice).

The next day, my dog had the blood in his stool, only a day after eating the food from the new Pro Plan. Thankfully, my other dog didn’t get sick, but he too didn't like whatever was in that new bag. Reading all of the complaints, there just can't be this much of a coincidence that something is wrong with their food. Something is going on at their factory that is causing the food to become tainted with something. It almost caused my dog to die! I pray there is a recall soon and the company gets down to the bottom of this issue fast before more pets are harmed!

Original review: March 21, 2012

Things started about 2 months ago. We noticed our little cockapoo, Sayuri, started throwing up and had become lethargic. But since it was right around the new year, we figured it was the weather and switched her off Purina Pro Plan to chicken and rice. As soon as she was better, we had her back on her dog food. Then suddenly in the second week of February, she stopped walking, we couldn't figure out what happened. Literally, from one day to the next, she just stopped walking and she would yelp whenever I pick her up. Right away, we took her to the vet because up until then, she was a very healthy, happy dog. She was a jumper so I asked for x-rays, thinking she hurt herself but they found nothing wrong. The vet thought maybe it was change of season and early onset of arthritis, so she gave me some Trimadol and we went home.

I found that she wasn't getting better, just knocked out all day, so I took her off the meds after about 6 days and started giving her baby aspirin once a day for about a week. She was lucid, but couldn't really move and I noticed she wasn't wanting to eat. When I noticed she wasn't eating, but drinking a lot of water, I got more worried. So I took her back to the vet. The vet this time noticed she had a broken tooth and thought maybe that is what was wrong. They ran blood work in case there was an infection and more x-rays. Again, nothing. The blood labs didn't show signs of an infection and the x-rays came back normal. Again, the vets were stumped. They did show low glucose and sodium, but the vet said it was probably from the dehydration. They did the physical test and she noticed her neck seemed to be causing her stress as well. They gave me a liquid steroid and antibiotic.

Right away, I started to see signs of hope. Slowly, Sayuri was able to walk a little, then a little further everyday, we saw little signs of promise. She even began to eat wet food (also Purina Pro) and drinking more water. Suddenly, on day 6, she shut down again. She couldn't walk and she had what seemed to be a small seizure and began panting excessively, but didn't want water. Saturday, she was laying in bed all day, panting continued and I hand fed her some chicken and rice. She ate very little. But Saturday night, I noticed another seizure like spasm. I started to panic and thought maybe it was something more serious. So I googled the steroid and antibiotic, but neither had seizures associated with them. I researched a little more and many people said a spoonful of honey will help.

So Sunday, I gave her a spoonful of honey and had decided I would take her to the vet first thing Monday morning. The day went by the same, she laid in bed all day and I hand fed her again - chicken and rice. Again, she wasn't really even able to lift her head and I noticed she began to have nasal discharge a couple days before as well, but I had been sick and so I thought maybe I had given her my cold. By Sunday, she completely lost her ability to hold her own weight and I had to not only carry her to her pee spot, but also hold up her body while she went. The panting continued and then Sunday night, she had another seizure around 5:45PM and then again at 6:30PM. Then she had a very violent episode at around 9:45PM that made me sit right away because she screamed so loud and her tail began to spin, her legs were running in place. It broke my heart to see her. I tried to remain calm and pet her, but it was awful to watch. I didn't know what to do and decided to take her in to the emergency, once the episode passed.

I picked her up and she let me hold her. She fell asleep in my arms and I didn't want to wake her so I let her sleep. She was very peaceful and I watched the hours slowly go by. I was praying we would make it to 8AM, but we wouldn't. At 3AM, I noticed her breathing became very slow and out of her mouth. I began to panic and I noticed I could feel her heartbeat in my arms, as I had still been holding her for the last couple of hours. My screams woke the rest of the family and I had someone drive us to the emergency clinic, by the time we reached it, she had passed away in my arms. I cannot begin to tell you the pain I and my family are in. She was our little girl and had her own very strong personality. She was particular about her cheeses, mozzarella being her favorite. We used to eat together and she always slept in my bed. My mom called her her first great child and treated her with all the rewards that entails.

My older sister used to rub her paws for her because she said Sayuri must get tired from being on her hands and feet all day. Our home now has an enormous void from her absence. I wake up everyday waiting for her to leap down from the bed and beat me to the breakfast table. I have cried the whole 2 months that she was sick and I haven't stopped crying yet. I hear my mother sobbing in the shower in the mornings because Sayuri used to always lay on all the clothes and pillows and anything else that felt great. It has been exactly one week and the pain hasn't begun to cease. I miss her every single day, especially now that it is sunny. I shared her story because a good friend found this site and notified me that it sounded like the same inexplicable thing Sayuri died from.

She was only 7 and I had a whole lifetime of trips and memories yet to have, but thanks to the wonderful people at Purina our journey ended a week ago. I have racked my brain with wudda cudda shudda, but because it was a top brand dog food, it never dawned on me that it was her food. I hope and pray that more people spread the word and hopefully save the lives of our little loved ones. Nothing will ever bring back my beloved little girl, Sayuri, but I hope eventually our voices will be heard and bring a change to the dog food industry.

Original review: March 19, 2012

Purina puppy chow (blue bag): I fed my puppy your food, and for a week straight, he has had severe diarrhea because of food poisoning!

Original review: March 19, 2012

About 3-4 weeks ago, the cat food I have always given my 3 cats started making them throw up after eating. Thinking it was furballs, I gave them Laxatone but every time they eat, they throw up violently until all the food is out of their systems. I just noticed that the 5-year anniversary of losing another cat to the tainted cat food had just passed. I could not believe it could possibly be happening again but yesterday, I threw out the Purina One and replaced it with cat food from a health food store. My cats have stopped throwing up! I am just sick over this! Do not feed your cats Purina One!

Original review: March 16, 2012

I have been feeding my English Shepherds Purina One Lamb & Rice for at least 4 years. The oldest one has had problems with it upsetting his stomach. I even took him to the vet, and they gave him antibiotics and it finally helped. About 6 months ago, he started throwing up thick yellow stuff, then all of his food, about 3 times a week. Yesterday he started panting and acting like he was disoriented. He was not acting his normal self.

He started circling me and holding his head funny, and he would lay his head on me. I am really concerned about my dogs at this point. I have taken them off of Purina One Lamb & Rice. I know Purina has changed the formula on the dog food. I am not buying any more Purina dog food of any kind. I can't understand why Purina changed the formula anyway. I am very upset about this food. I just hope my dog gets better after changing his food.

Original review: March 14, 2012

My currently 5-month black German Shepherd Kaiser had gotten extremely ill after his normal food, which was Purina One large breed puppy chow, was discontinued without any warning. So I had to buy the SmartBlend large breed puppy food. I didn't have anything left of his other food to mix with it. After eating it, he got violent watery diarrhea with some vomiting. He started sleeping a lot and his mood changed. He started growling if anyone went near him. I called his vet, they told me to not feed him for an entire day then to feed him boiled rice and hamburger for two days and see if that helps. It did, so they told me to feed him his normal meal. Right back to how he was after his first feeding. He lost weight, which is not good for a growing puppy. The vet put him on pills to help and it did. After the pills were done, he was sick again.

The vet confirmed that his food was doing this to him and he has now been on a prescription diet, which I am in the process of changing it to Wolf Cub large breed puppy food by Solid Gold. My puppy is still not normal. I feel lucky after reading many of these reviews and reviews on other sites that my dog is not dead. My brother's dog, an 8-year old Rottie, is sick now as well and one of my cats has been sick after eating Purina products. My animals will never eat anything Purina related again. Purina told me "they have had no other complaints". I don't know if they just don't care about the problem or what, but clearly there is something wrong. I don't care about getting money for this, I do not wish to enter some lawsuit but something has to be done. Animals are dying and getting very sick.

Who knows the long-term effects if any to the animals who live? This food needs to be tested and an alert has to be put out to customers who buy any Purina products. I am telling everyone I know to stop using this food. I know it says to be accurate and fair in your comments. This is as fair as I could possibly be.

Original review: March 14, 2012

My cat has been eating Purina Cat Chow for the five years of his life. I bought this last bag at Walmart in Waterdown, ON. I noticed my cat being picky with the food, leaving some on the table that he didn't like, it seemed. He was becoming disheveled and lethargic. I stopped using this food and fed him canned food to keep up his nutrition. My son noticed him being disheveled and out of sorts as well. He seemed quite sickly. The canned food seemed to help, I made it quite liquidy, as he hadn't been drinking his water either. I have since changed to a top blend with full nutrient, not meat by-product, and he has been getting back to his usual self. I am very very upset about this and would like an explanation of what may have happened. Have there been recalls in the Hamilton/Waterdown area at Walmart or any other stores?

Original review: March 14, 2012

I have been feeding my cats with Purina Friskies tin cat food for years. About a year ago, I noticed that when I opened the tins, the food did not have that nice fresh smell to it. It didn't seem to matter what flavor it was. It all smelled the same. I can't describe the smell, but it wasn't a food smell. I always bought a lot of beef and whitefish and tuna. They do not make the beef because of problems at the border with beef now, so I stuck with the whitefish and tuna. My cat just stopped eating it. I opened a tin she took a smell and walked away from it, so I was throwing tin after tin in the garbage. I have contacted Purina a few times, and asked them if they had changed the formula for their cat food, and the agent said no, and they weren't getting any complaints about the food.

The company sent me out free coupons to replace some of the tins I threw out. It was nice of them to send me coupons, but that wasn't what I really wanted. I just wanted to find an answer to the problem. Was it the very thin tins that they were using, the storage of the tins, etc? I was concerned about the tins because if they were dropped or banged, the lid would pop. I just had a feeling that maybe the tins were contaminating the food, and was hoping someone would start investigating the problem. I am trying different brands of cat food which I find have much stronger tins. I would like to know if others are having the same problem as I am with the Friskies tin food, and has there been any recalls on cat food lately.

Original review: March 13, 2012

This is a follow-up to my original post on 2/13/12, at which time our female Brittany Spaniel, Lexie, had passed away on 1/25/12. At best, her death was due to organ failure, probably caused by a diet of Purina Pro Plan. We are assuming serious complications were brought on by Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend. We ceased feeding all kibble a week after Lexie's death. Severe complications also followed her mate, Ruskin, who had battled Cushing's disease for the past two years. Ruskin had a severe seizure during the late night hours. I was able to talk with a knowledgeable friend that guided me with administering Pedialyte & Karo Syrup. I was in contact with the vet over the weekend. Not wanting our dear pet to suffer, we were discussing having him euthanized.

I called on Monday morning to make an appointment for a pancreas test. We were looking at a full blood work-up and probably another Cushing's test, before they would singly test the pancreas because he is already identified with CD and taking meds. When he started displaying tremors, an onset of a seizure, I clipped a toenail into the quick so we could get a fast blood sample to do a Glucose Test. The result showed 84, within normal range.

Considering I had tried perking him up (to get him to the vet) using Karo Syrup & drips of Pedialyte, his glucose level before I administered sugar to him was probably in the 60's, which is low! My daughters and I wrapped him in a small comforter and I held him snug against me when he began to seize. We never made it to the vet. Ruskin died in my arms of cardiac arrest at 9:40 am, March 5, 2012, forty days after his mate died. Although we had changed their nutrition plan to a raw diet, in hindsight, we believe Ruskin had already suffered damage to his organs, especially his pancreas. He had probably become diabetic with the large amounts of sugar in the food that he consumed.

We knew the CD would eventually take his life, and very possibly was brought on because of his long term diet of Purina. Unfortunately, his body was too distressed from the sugar imbalance. We are currently monitoring our 10-year-old Brittany and 2 cats. Brittany will be having blood work done at the vet as he has not been a good candidate for home glucose testing. It is not just Purina! Type in 'pets 2012' in the search box in the upper right corner on the Consumer Affairs site, the first three pages will display complaints for popular brands. We continue to be saddened by the unnecessary sickness and loss of so many pets.

Original review: March 13, 2012

I breed Yellow Labs. My Dam, Sire and 20 month old had been eating the Purina One Smart Blend Chicken and Rice. I have always fed the puppies, while weaning and after, Purina Large Breed Puppy. The beginning of March, we couldn’t find the puppy food we usually used, only the Smart Blend Large Breed Puppy. I started feeding it to my 2 females who are 8 months old and the litter of nine who were 6 wks old, in a gradual transition. In less than a day, they all had diarrhea.

I then went to 5 different stores to find the original Purina One Large Breed Puppy and was able to find one 34 lb bag. When I opened the bag, there were all kinds of white specks and webs. I ended up throwing it out. I didn't want to make a drastic switch so I continued to feed the Smart Blend to the puppies. Now, I needed more food for the adults. I bought their usual for them, which they had always loved. They didn't like it very much. They were eating much less and not as active, not to mention some slight diarrhea. I had no choice but to put them on another brand. The litter of nine became extremely ill, diarrhea but no vomiting.

On the evening of March 9th, I returned home and went to feed the littler. Two of them looked emaciated and one of those two wouldn't even come out of the kernel for dinner and fresh water. The poor baby looked so depressed. They all still had diarrhea, some worse than others. I ended up having to take the one to the vet that Friday night because she was moaning, wouldn't eat or drink and didn't even want to have anything to do with her mother. The vet tested her for Parvo because she vomited in his office. The test came back negative (thank God!). She had a severe case of gastroenteritis and was slightly dehydrated. They gave her fluids and medication and sent her home with more medication.

I am happy to say that she, her littermates, and the two 8 mo. old are finally starting to do much better. The adults are doing well, also. I am thoroughly disappointed and disgusted in Purina's lack of concern for our family members and our voices as consumers. I feel terrible for all of you whom have lost precious members of your family. Purina offered to send me coupons, which I don't want. After a second email I sent to them, they phoned me. I have yet to return their call. I will not let this problem go. I will do what I need to for my babies and everyone else's. You are all in my prayers.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information