2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2012

I have two beautiful cats. Twix - a tiger cat, and Bella -a tuxedo cat. Twix I have had since a kitten, and Bella was a stray that I took in. I had been feeding my cats either Meow Mix or Purina Cat Chow hard food the entire time I have had them. They always seemed fine, except that I noticed Bella was gaining weight. I read up on all the info on different cat foods that I could find, and decided that Purina One Indoor Formula was a good choice for my cats. It wasn't overly expensive and seemed to have a very good ingredients list. I made the switch in April 2012.

One evening in May 2012, I came home to find Bella passed out on the floor. She was unresponsive when I called her. Finally, after shaking her extremely hard and screaming her name, she opened her eyes and looked at me. I rushed her to an emergency vet, who told me she had a high fever and gave her a shot of antibiotics. The vet said everything else was normal, and it was probably the fever that made her pass out.

The rest of the summer passed with no problems. Then on Sept. 17, 2012, Bella began coughing. At first I thought it was a hairball that she was having trouble getting up, so I gave her some mineral oil for a few nights. But the coughing was getting worse, and I could see the look of fear on her face. She was also withdrawing from me. She didn't like to be touched anymore, and spent most of her days on my dining room chair, which is not normal for her. I brought her to the vet, who said that it was probably an upper respiratory infection, and gave me a round of antibiotics. At first she seemed to respond, but then, she became worse - extremely lethargic and very distant, and coughing day and night. Again we went to the vet, and after doing a number of x-rays on her, he told me that there was nothing wrong with her heart or lungs. I took her back home.

I don't know why. I thought maybe it was the dry cat food making her sick, but all of a sudden it became so obvious. That night I stopped feeding them the Purina One cat food, and got them Science Diet. That was a week ago today, and Bella has made a complete turnaround. She is active and happy. She is sitting with me again at night and playing with Twix. And she is not coughing at all. I really believe that Purina One was killing my cat!

Oh, and as a side note, the entire time I was feeding my cats Purina One, Twix was not happy with it. He seemed to pick at the food all the time, and I found that he actually put most of his food into the water dish. He was also constantly begging for whatever food I was eating. Since switching to the Science Diet, he is eating better and not begging!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2012

I recently bought a new bag of Kitten Chow. When tearing back the folds at the top of the package, I found several small yellow worms crawling around in the glue area just before the opening at the top. Yuck! There was also 1 on the end of the bag once the top was completely unfolded. They didn't appear to have gotten into the bag, so I didn't throw it out, but I will likely move on to a new brand of dry food next time. I'm not sure how the worm eggs (I'm sure that's incorrect terminology) got into the glue or packaging, but this is something that needs to be looked into at the plant.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2012

I have two eleven-year-old labs, who have eaten Purina dry foods for the majority of their lives. However, after purchasing the One Beyond Chicken, one immediately came down with bloat on Thanksgiving morning and required emergency surgery. Thankfully, she is fine now after the $2800 surgery. Her brother began vomiting and experiencing diarrhea three days later. He now refuses to eat the Purina One Beyond, as well as his sister who is only eating Science Diet. My vet said that it is highly unusual for a dog of eleven to bloat. Purina should be ashamed. Their once good name is being ruined and I, for one, will never buy their products again. I will not jeopardize my dogs’ or seven cats’ lives.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2012

I have 2 cats that are angels now and a third one that is on her way because of your stupid greed. My animals are like my children. I switched my cats to the Purina ONE Hairball Formula and my cats have been vomiting, having bloody stools, not wanting to eat - and it's not just the dry food, it's the wet food as well. I guess everyone should be aware that switching to Purina is like giving your animal a death sentence. Please look into these complaints as I also have a friend who has 3 sick animals because of their food.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2012

I purchased a 6lb. bag of Purina One Beyond Lamb from Wal-Mart five days ago. I have a mini schnauzer and a 5-month old kitten. Our kitten likes to snack on the dog’s food even though he has his own kitten food up on a desk where the mini schnauzer cannot get to! On the third day of feeding this food, we woke up at 6:30 am to our mini schnauzer vomiting and having bloody liquid diarrhea. I am a vet tech and this was happening on a Sunday and our office is closed on Sundays. By 3pm, the kitten and our mini schnauzer were both having the bloody diarrhea and vomiting. I called our vet at home and he had me meet him at the clinic immediately. After several injections, activated charcoal, fluids, oral medications, blood work, physical exam, and fecal exam, our vet diagnosed them with salmonella poisoning.

Note that the kitten’s symptoms were not quite as severe as our schnauzers. Since the kitten is indoors, the only thing they could have both contracted the salmonella from is the Purina One Beyond Lamb and our vet agrees. He also said that would explain why the kitten’s case was not as severe because he just snacked on it rather than that being the only food he ate like our mini schnauzer. I thank God that from working at the vet I knew to act fast because who knows, if I would have waited a day or two, we could have lost our fur children. Please, everyone, be very careful when buying this dog food. I can say I will never buy any Purina food again and take a chance. From now on, the only pet food coming into our home will be Hills Science Diet or Royal Canin. We sell these at my work and at least I know I will not be feeding my pets poison!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2012

I changed my dogs' food recently to Purina One, with the misconception that it wasn't a bad brand of food. I couldn't have been more wrong. My dog started having issues with the food the night I gave it to her and I gradually introduced it to her diet. 1st and 2nd night (starting her on Purina One), I noticed her stool seemed very soft and sort of lighter in color. Day 3, I came home from work to a disaster. She had what seemed like uncontrollable diarrhea. Knowing that these things happen and dogs, like humans, will get the runs every so often. My dog also seemed extremely needy, much more than usual. Day 4, explosive diarrhea but there was rather large amount of blood that accompanied the liquid feces and not far away from that, there was a big puddle of mucus and blood. I took pictures of the blood I was wiping from the floor.

Day 5, I took the day off work to go to the vet. He said that she has colitis and hopefully it's not long term. She was prescribed a week's worth of Metronidazole. In addition, I fed her rice with boiled chicken and a small amount of Purina One. During that week, while taking the prescription, she seemed a lot better. Not thinking that her bout of colitis could have been caused by Purina One, I stupidly fed it to her again. Two days after being off the prescription and back on a Purina One diet, we are right back at square one. She has bloody diarrhea again and is super antsy. I'm now certain that Purina One (Smart Blend Lamb and Rice Formula) is the culprit. I'll have to miss another day of work to go to the vet tomorrow.

It's ridiculous that Purina One Smart Blend has had so many similar complaints, but nothing has been done to fix the issue. The CDC website states, "When two or more people get the same illness from the same contaminated food or drink, the event is called a food-borne outbreak." Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that we need to follow those same guidelines, but I do feel that the issue is being completely ignored and Purina is getting away with, in some cases, murder (so to speak). My dog depends on me to feed her everyday. As her owner, it's my responsibility to feed her, care for her and keep her healthy. Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to do that when companies like Purina claim that their dog food provides complete nutrition when it's really poison?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2012

One of my friends and I just spent two weeks traveling with our three dogs. We were in a remote area and ran out of our usual dog food, Taste of the Wild, and purchased a bag of Purina One, Lamb and Rice formula. All was well for three days, thankfully the day we returned home. My friend's 18-month-old purebred dog became very ill, and we took her to our vet clinic. A definite diagnosis could not be made, but even the doctors were guarded about her recovery. She was hospitalized for 36 hours in intensive care and quarantine with IV fluids constantly. She has been home for 24 hours and slowly recovering.

Guess what? Today, my five-year-old Toy Poodle became sick with the same symptoms. I rushed him to the vet hospital, and he was given meds for nausea and fluids. That is when we both started checking on the dog food and reading the label closely. We cannot prove it but feel pretty confident that the Purina One is to blame. We have now collectively paid hundreds of dollars to treat these dogs. My larger dog is OK, but I immediately replaced his food today. I read carefully the ingredients label on the Purina One product, and it is loaded with gluten (by other names) and grains and other junk that make me sick when I eat the human versions that are also often hidden in our food system. I am going to call Purina in the morning and ask for at least a refund on this lousy and dangerous product and at most for a recall or change of ingredients.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2012

I bought a bag of Purina One dog food on November 9, 2012 and served it to my three small dogs. I do not regularly buy Purina One but was out of Blue Buffalo and just needed a quick bag of food to get by until I was able to get to Petco. By the next night, one dog had loose stools throughout the night that continued for three nights and during the day. By the second night, another dog had the same problem. I took my first dog to the veterinarian on the fourth day and he asked me if I had fed him any Purina dog food product. When I said, "Yes," he said that I was his third pet owner this week whose dog had become ill after eating Purina One. We're on a chicken and rice diet until they're better. I will never use this product again.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2012

My cat of 7 yrs who had never even had a hangnail, after 6 weeks on Healthful Life with real salmon and chicken (thought I was doing a good thing), had developed lumps around his neck then started losing his fur in patches left bloody in places he cannot reach - so not self-inflicted. When it started, I did some research on cat ailments and concluded it was food. I changed his food immediately and lumps started to disappear and the first bloody patch of hair loss started healing. It healed over 1 week. The newest patch stopped looking bloody and grew scabs, healing well. 2 weeks later I bought more food and completely missed it was from Purina. After less than a week, his lumps were back and fur falling out again, patches all bloody and painful to the touch.

I have taken him off the food again and I pray he snaps back. He was strong and healthy before this, but he looks peeked and grey and it is tearing my heart up to see him like this. If anything happens to my boy (God forbid he dies), I will sue, I assure you. You should be sued for poisoning our innocent ones anyway. If someone did this to a human child, there would be hell to pay. How do these children differ? Please look into this company. Do something to stop them from harming our extended family members any further. Contact animal rights please. Please get on this.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2012

On the late afternoon of 11/4/2012, I purchased a bag of Purina Healthy Life Living dog food with DHA. My wife and I always buy Pedigree. On the morning of 11/5, we gave them one feeding. On that evening, we noticed they weren't being themselves. The next morning, not good. I decided to return the bag of dog food for an off brand. On my way back home, I got a phone call from my wife. She told me that one of the puppies just died. So, I immediately turned around and returned to the store, madder than hell. I went into the store and asked for the bag of dog food I had just returned. As I was on my way home again, lo and behold, another phone call from my wife again. She told me that another puppy had just died.

Well **, what's next? That evening, we started to feed/tried to feed the ones that would eat the other brand - some would, some wouldn't. On the early morning of 11/7, another one passed away. I have looked on the computer for puppy food recalls but have come up empty-handed.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2012

I have been feeding my dog Purina One SmartBlend Lamb and Rice for almost 2 years. Last week, I bought a brand new bag and my dog started vomiting within 15 minutes. At first I thought that he had the flu and have been nursing him since. For the first time ever, my dog refused to eat the Purina. After checking this website and seeing all of the similar stories, I have changed his food and he seems fine. I am not pleased at all.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2012

Follow up to my earlier post regarding my Beagle and Little Bites. I contacted Purina. They took the info from the bag and said they would follow up. They offered to send a coupon for a free bag of food. I've changed food and in the two weeks since we've changed, we've had one "spit up" and it was following a car ride.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2012

I have two cats. We usually just buy whichever dry cat food is on sale that day. Both of my cats have been throwing up all over the floor, and one is very lethargic. I realized today that both, this time as well as the last time, had a vomiting episode. We had bought the green bag of Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. I don't know what it is about this food, but it's making my cats sick. I am not buying this food anymore.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2012

I have a beagle, about 4 years old (not too sure, she was a rescue). I brought her inside in August due to the extreme heat. She has been an inside dog since so I know more about her daily activities. She has had some skin rashes since being inside, but the biggest thing was spitting up, I call it, and there would be the red kibbles of the Little Bites in it more than 14 hours after she ate. She had very bad breath and almost black poop. I've switched to a grain-free food (a high rating on Dog Food Advisor website). She is acting like she feels much better, poops better and the bad breath issue cleared up. The vet said it was not normal for the red kibbles to be undigested after that length of time.

I'm expecting a recall soon. This was just weird. She had been eating Little Bites for 3 years and nothing that I know of like this before. I think she was bloated from undigested food, her stomach seems smaller now. She definitely feels better and plays a lot more. Please beware of this food!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2012

I fed my 14 lb. dog, a schnauzer/poodle mix, 1/4 can of Purina One Classic Ground Wholesome Turkey & Barley Entree. She was crying and shaking when I came home from work. Now, she's barely moving. No Purina ever again for me.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2012

Purina dry cat chow killed 15 cats - I just lost my fourth, beautiful, young and once healthy cat to Purina. Quick to kidney failure and my bill's total is now $10,000. Another person lost 11 to the same God awful corporate company. It should be put on trial and a class action lawsuit filed. Now they know this and keep selling it. Does anyone know how heartbreaking this is to me and my family?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2012

I purchased a bag of Purina Healthy Weight dog food because my beagle has been looking a little pudgy lately. Exercise was not helping the issue, so I decided I would spend a little more money on "healthy" dog food. As soon as I put it in the bowl, she sniffed it and completely refused to eat. Her behavior was odd because she usually eats immediately, but I didn't think anything of it because she has a tendency to be picky. My Jack Russel Terrier, however, ran up and began eating some of the food himself. Within 15 minutes, he was throwing up everything he ate. He didn't eat anything for the next couple of days. I had initially thought it was just a fluke, but after reading all of these complaints, I am convinced it was the food that made him sick. I am so thankful I threw the bag away when I did and didn't purchase any more of this food.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2012

I followed a Facebook link and read the post written by Stephanie from Fenton, MO. Reading about the progression of sickness of Princess was heartbreaking, along with all of the other beloved pets within the complaints regarding Beneful. We were feeding Purina Pro Plan, a food we began serving our first dog in 1986, when it first came available in Veterinary offices only. It was not a cheap choice. We had tried a couple of other top shelf foods over the years when an issue would arise, but would end up back on a different formula of Pro Plan.

We lost two Brittany Spaniels this past year, six weeks apart. Our female, Lexie, had been healthy but had always looked and treated her food strangely. In hindsight, it is a terrible thought that she probably knew it wasn't good for her. Since some of the dynamics in our home had changed slightly, we didn't get too concerned when her behavior altered some. For a couple of weeks prior to her passing, she preferred to sleep long daytime hours in our attached garage during a bitter cold spell. Her mate, Ruskin, had been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease two years prior so the increased symptoms led us to believe it was a progression of his CD. When Lexie displayed signs of illness, we rushed her to the vet. Several hundred dollars of tests and x-rays later, the cause was still unconfirmed. Further blood tests would show food toxicity as a probable cause. She died at home two days after visiting the vet. We began feeding a Raw Prey Diet within two weeks of Lexie's death. Unfortunately, Ruskin had developed diabetic like symptoms due to the high sugar content in the Pro Plan. When that sugar was taken away through the raw diet, his seizures increased. He passed at home during a seizure in March.

Please use Consumer Affairs to your benefit and research any new food you might decide to feed. I saw Stephanie was feeding Blue Buffalo, which is also the food that was being fed to a dog we fostered for a relative this summer. It also is on the list of bad food! Before we started our Raw Prey Model Diet, we began with Honest Kitchen, a dehydrated food supplemented with raw. It is a little more expensive but came highly recommended by a breeder friend in CA. With the right resources, feeding a raw diet is healthier and less expensive than Kibble. Use Google and Facebook to find resources in your area to buy with a co-op.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

Purina offered me a new settlement in regard to my claim for my cat, Sable. They had initially claimed no responsibility for her illness, but offered to pay half of my vet bill anyway (the bill was $429.00). Now, they are still claiming to have no liability, but will pay the entire vet bill if I sign a waiver relieving them of responsibility for Sable's illness. They refuse to pay an additional $230 so that she can have regular check-ups at Banfield Pet Hospital for the next year. They have given me 30 days to consider their offer.

If money were no object, I would sue them and make this as public as possible just on principle. How many people had pets sicken and/or die from tainted Purina pet food? I have found hundreds of people on the internet who have had problems with Purina's products. How many other people are out there who didn't realize what was happening and, as a result, no longer have their furry family members with them?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2012

As a dog owner who has 4 dogs, 3 of which have had the horrible symptoms of a seizure all because I fed them dinner, I am now seeing that it apparently was the dog food I was feeding my pets. I ask that all of you dissatisfied Purina customers send an email with your story to helpme@wpix.com. This is Help Me Howard from the local TV network. I think this is something that needs to be heard more so than on Consumer Affairs. Too many animals are becoming ill and dying for no reason!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2012

Our dog extremely got sick from Purina dog food. Do not buy. Recently, our 2-year-old Boston started trying to avoid eating the chicken and rice flavor we had been feeding him for 6 months. He began sniffing and scraping pieces of food out of the bowl onto the floor, then he would slowly sniff a kibble or two then eat some little by little. This is not how our dog eats. He usually bends over the bowl and chows down! Over the past week, he has been throwing up a lot. Moping around the house and acting very lethargic; not the energetic Boston terrier he was the previous week. It got very scary when he just fell down onto the floor and couldn't keep his eyes open. He even lost 4 pounds.

I had a very bad feeling that something was wrong with the food, so we took him to the vet and they suggested cooking him real rice and boiled chicken to help his stomach. After a few days of feeding him that, he started to perk up. My wife tried to feed him the Purina food again a few days after, and he literally backed away from the bag. So we switched to a completely different brand stocked by a local dog food store, and our Boston ate it like he hadn't eaten in days. He is getting better. I'm extremely shocked and angry to see so many similar complaints about Purina pet food products. This sounds like an NBC dateline investigation needs to be done on Purina. I can't fathom to think what they're actually feeding our pets. Something needs to be done about this now.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2012

I rescued a Boston Terrier last year from the North American Boston Terrier Rescue. My guy was extremely healthy and received a thorough vet examination last year walking away with a clean bill of health. The Rescue fed all dogs and pups in their care Purina One and suggested I keep my Boston on the regimen and I did because he seemed to be doing fine with the food. Fast forward when we went for his well-dog exam and he received another glowing review from the vet and another bill of good health, I purchased a brand new bag of Purina One Smartblend Chicken & Rice Dry Dog Food from our local Denver King Soopers.

My guy was reluctant to eat the food. He picked out portions and spit pieces out in a pile on the side of the floor. Eventually he ate the food, and instantly became ill, vomiting clear foamy liquid at first and by the second day he was vomiting food. This continued on to day three and this time he was weak and barely able to keep one eye completely open. I thoroughly investigated our back yard to search for anything new he may have gotten a hold of. I took him to the vet and they examined him, took blood, and weren't able to find anything abnormal. He did suggest that perhaps the dog developed an "allergy" to his food.

After a week transition on boiled chicken and rice, I decided to switch him away from Purina entirely after hearing horror stories about people receiving "bad batches" of food. I am convinced now after reading this thread, the Purina food was the culprit. Butch (my guy) has since been eating Nutro dog food and hasn't encountered any stomach problems to date. I feel fortunate that I don't share some of the other sad stories other pet owners endured. Shame on Purina!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

On June 5, 2012, I bought a new bag of Purina Friskies Indoor Delights for my 5 cats. I opened the bag and fed them some the next morning. Four of the cats ignored the food and went out the window to roam around the front yard. The fifth cat wolfed down a full bowl before going outside to play. About 15 to 20 minutes later, I was on the telephone when she came back inside and jumped onto the kitchen table. She stumbled several steps and appeared to convulse before falling off of the table and voiding her bowels. She was crying and panting very heavily, her eyes were darting back and forth, and she was unable to walk because she couldn't bear weight on her hind legs.

I rushed her to the vet who had no idea what was going on. We both assumed that she had gotten into something outside. She stayed with the vet overnight and because of lack of funds for ongoing care, I took her home the next day. She was unable to walk well and could not take foods on her own. I fed her liquids through a small syringe for about 5 days.

She became ill on Tuesday. Then on Thursday, another of my cats started vomiting and stayed sick all night long. On Friday morning, I was sitting in my recliner saying "Dear God, why are my cats getting sick?" Then, I noticed one of my cats sitting in front of one of their food dishes. He was pulling pieces of food from the dish with his paw, sniffing them thoroughly, and then either eating them, or discarding them into a small pile that he had accumulated on the floor. I noticed that although I had not filled the bowls since Tuesday, three of the five were still full. It was then that I realized that something was wrong with the food. I immediately removed the food, but about 30 minutes later he was throwing up also.

I filed a claim with Purina and finally heard from their settlement office yesterday. They told me that while they have received no other complaints and are not responsible for my cats being ill, they will pay half of my vet bill. Today, I started doing some research and found multiple complaints. I contacted Purina directly and told them that I fully expect that my entire vet bill will be paid and for them to provide wellness care for my three cats for the next year. Additionally, I told them to send me a shipping label to return the rest of the contaminated food to them. They had told me to throw it away. I told them that it would be irresponsible and unconscionable of me to put that crap in a landfill. I'll let you know what happens.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2012

I have lost two dogs since April who have eaten Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend (lamb and rice or chicken and rice). I have fed Pro Plan for 11 years with good results until around December 2011. I have 7 dogs and we have spent nearly every weekend, days off, and have taken days off work so that we can take dogs to the vet where their symptoms were treated. Most of all the complaints are similar to what each of my dogs has had over the year. We've scoured the yard for toxins and have done just about anything we could think of.

We've lost two males and nearly lost one female twice who is currently lethargic. We have an unhealthy boy going to the vet tomorrow and one other female is lethargic. One of the females has been mostly fine. I never suspected it was the food. They've been off the food for 4 days and I'm seeing some improvements, although I’m not comfortable yet. But now I ask myself what is the long-term damage. I don't want to go into the painful stories. I just wanted to make sure that no one has to go through this again. I have a case number with Purina. I am speaking with my vet tomorrow and will be deciding what to do from there.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2012

I can't buy 50 lbs of food, only 33-lb. bags. Instead of being able to get what I am looking, I have to spend more money just for 13 lb. of dog food. I have 2 mastiffs, one English, the other bull. These dogs eat. I was just wondering why the 50-lb. bags were not distributed anymore. Is it the money or the product?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2012

We use Purina Moist and Meaty dog food as dog treats. Recently, we opened a packet and fed it to our dogs. They both immediately threw it up and became very sick - vomiting, diarrhea, lethargic, depressed. We scoured our yard and home for the culprit and ended up realizing the one thing they had in common was the treats! We've had them in and out of the vet's office all week and our little boy may not make it. Every test has been performed without answer. We are hoping IV fluids, antibiotics and good vet care will heal our little guy. In the meantime, Purina customer service has "never had a complaint, will investigate," blah, blah, blah. I have always used Purina products but now, I will reconsider. Our vet bills are well over $2000 for this week. I do not want to take another chance with our little buddies' lives.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2012

I have attempted to unsubscribe from your email notices each time I have received one (probably three or four times). Unfortunately, each time the result has been the same. After checking the two boxes indicating that I wish to no longer receive these emails, the unsubscribe button changes color to red but does nothing when clicked. Neat trick to keep people from unsubscribing for these notices or maybe just a programming error? I look forward to your response.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2012

I had a Bullmastiff named Mugsie. We got her at age 3, after the owner could no longer care for him due to divorce. The original owner gave us all his paperwork from the breeder he had bought him from, the vet they used and AKC paperwork. He was a very expensive dog, shows quality, both parents had been evaluated for health issues that might be passed on to any pups they had, and a clean bill of health for both parents as well as the litter of pups. We took him to our vet for a regular check up and booster shots, all was perfect. About 2 years after we started feeding him Purina dog food, he got ill. The vet thought he may have been poisoned while out in our fenced yard. Blood work, x-rays, etc., to the tune of $800.00 and they found nothing.

We changed dog food as he was refusing to eat. He got better, so we slowly reintroduced the Purina dog food. Again, he started acting funny and became ill. Back to the vet. More tests, more money and nothing was found. Again we changed the food, again he got better. Back to the Purina and we were awakened in the wee hours of the morning to a thump. Mugsie had collapsed in the front hall, he had a temp, very warm and dry noise, shaking, scared and nervous acting. Then he started drooling. I know now he was seizing, but I didn't know that then. My boyfriend told me to call the vet and get him another appointment when he opened and went off to work.

I called the vet. They said to bring him in asap. Well at 180lbs, I couldn't pick him up and move him into my pickup truck's backseat by myself, so I called him and he came home to help me. Poor Muggs was so ill and weak. He'd try to get up and walk but could only make 2 or 3 steps, then collapse panting and exhausted. I talked to him, tried coaxing him. He was wagging his tail with a thump, thump then just drift off. We got him to the vet. They took him out back and started an IV and did more blood work. They told us to leave him and come back in a couple of hours. If they found anything in the meantime, they'd call us. We barely got home (a 10-minute ride from the vet) when the phone started ringing. His blood work showed major kidney failure, unreal considering he had just gotten a check up and rabies booster shot 2 months before and was given a clean bill of health.

They were going to try a couple things to save him, but we were told not to get our hopes up. A couple hours later, we got the call that there was nothing they could do. He was too far gone and we should put him to sleep to ease his suffering. His condition was going to become far more painful both to him and for us to watch until he passed. I cried like a baby while we decided what to do. My boyfriend dug his grave out back under Mugg's favorite tree. He loved to lay under when outside with us and we went back to the vet to be with him. We loved on him while they put the IV in his leg for the meds to put him to sleep. I cried the entire time and he kept trying to lift his head and look at me. He was so weak he could barely lift it, but managed to lay his head on my lap and almost smile up at me, like he knew what was coming and knew we were having a very hard time with it.

They injected the meds, he looked at us, closed his eyes, let out one last big sigh and was gone. I burst into tears and was a basket case all the way home. I helped bury him in our backyard and just sat there for hours wondering what the hell had happened to our baby dog. It took quite awhile to make the connection with the food, after we took in a second Bullmastiff, a rescue we picked up in upstate NY, 5 hours from home, about 2 years after we buried Muggs. He was thin but healthy. We took him to our vet to have him checked to make sure and get shots updated for him. He got a clean bill of health and I was told to feed him a bit extra to put a few pounds on him.

We started feeding him the Purina dog food with a bit extra added to it, so he'd get back up to his normal weight. It didn't take long before he had gained the weight back and was looking good. We were mixing his food 2/3 what he was on at the foster home with 1/3 Purina. Slowly, we lowered the cheap dog food amt and increased the Purina until he was on all Purina. Knowing bully breeds can be prone to digestive issues, gas, bloating, twisted gut from wolfing down the food too quickly, etc., we wanted to make sure we avoided those issues if at all possible while switching his food to what we thought was a better quality, far better for him food. Yeah right!

As soon as he was on 100% Purina, he started having issues - vomiting, the runs, excessive thirst, drooling more than Bullmastiffs usually do. Then, he started staggering and falling over. I kept thinking, "Wow, is this dog clumsy? What a klutz. Nothing like our Muggs was at all." Very lazy, laying around. When he did get up to walk to the door and ask for out, he acted like it took all the energy he had just to get to the door. He'd get there and lay down. I noticed his nose was dry and warm, eyes were dull and lifeless. I said oh no, not again! I called the vet. Again I was told he most likely was poisoned, but how? We were never outside off leash. We didn't put him out in the fenced yard without one of us out there. We didn't want him to think he was being abandoned yet again.

The foster home we got him from had told us he was taken from a home where he was chained out back to a tree - no food, very little water and no shelter in rain, heat or cold. Once he had gotten to our home, he was allowed on the couch as are all my dogs and sat almost on top of whoever sat down, making sure we weren't going to just leave him there alone. If I get up to go to the kitchen or bathroom, he followed me. If I closed the bathroom door, he'd headbutt it until it popped open or sit there whining until I came out. If I took a bath, he'd sit beside the tub and lay his chin on the side of the tub and just watch me until I got out. He was literally, constantly my side, so how could anyone have fed him anything? And if they did, why did none of the other dogs get ill when Rocky did?

Before taking in Rocky, we had taken in a 5-year old rescued yellow lab and a 2-year old Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix from a puppy mill that had been busted and later, a Chihuahua/mini Schnauzer mix puppy just under 1 year old. None of the others had gotten ill at all. They all ate the same food, out of the same dishes, at the same time. Usually (which was extremely cute to see), the teeny dogs standing between the giant dog's front feet and eating from the same bowl, behind his huge head and chin and same water bowls. They slept together and played in the same fenced yard together, and were never left outside alone. The vet was called and told us bring him in asap. The same type of testing was done on him as was done on Muggs, with the same results. Kidney failure and they didn't think he had long to live.

He started seizing, they medicated him to keep him calm, slow down the number of seizures and keep him as comfy as they could. More testing, same results. Nothing they could do but try to keep him comfy until he passed or we could have him put to sleep and spare him more seizures and pain. He had been vomiting, having liquid bowel movements involuntarily, drooling and panting. His eyes' looked glazed, like he had no idea where he was or who was with him. We were sent home to decide what we wanted to do. Again we dug a grave, right beside Mr. Muggs, under the big tree and drove back to the vet's office.

We sat with him in the vet's lounge/visitor's room with couches and big doggie bean bag chairs while they got everything ready. Again, I cried my eyes out. He had been with us about 2 years when this happened. Not as long as Mr. Muggs had been with us, but I was just about as attached to him. He went everywhere I did just like Muggs had, 24/7. He was my shadow. He was so out of it I'm not sure he realized what was going on, just that mamma was sad. He turned his head, looked up at me, licked my hand and closed his eyes. We brought him home and buried him wondering why they both had to die. It finally hit me while I was sitting out there sobbing. The dog food! It had to be it. I called the vet back and talked to him about it. He said it was quite possible and most probable that's what it was, but without specifically checking for it by doing an autopsy, he couldn't say 100% without a doubt that it's what killed them by causing their kidney and liver failure.

Money was extremely tight at the time. We were in danger of losing our house so we opted not to have the autopsy done on either dog (I was quoted an extremely high price for each autopsy. Thankfully my boyfriend's business picked up and all is back on track financially. We still have the 2 small dogs (Scooter the chi/shih tzu and Button the chi/mini schnauzer) and the yellow lab (Major). All are fine and perfectly healthy spoiled brats. As soon as I made the connection to the food, we stopped feeding it to the rest of the crew and none have suffered any ill affects that have shown up in their annual checkups and blood work. Fingers crossed that it stays that way. Back when the bullies got ill, the others had thrown up a few times. Button had a gagging issue/cough from time to time, which I thought was kennel cough or some type of allergy. I had it checked out and nothing was found. It has disappeared since we switched the dog food from Purina.

I certainly hope no more people have to go through what we did. Those 2 big dogs were like my kids (I have 4 kids and my boyfriend has 2, all grown up and moved out with families of their own). My answer to the empty nest syndrome so many of us, moms, go through when the last kiddo leaves home. I will forever miss my big guys and mourn their loss at such young ages. I know giant breed dogs don't tend to live very long lives, but 7 years and 4 yrs old is far too young and totally senseless. It could have and should have been prevented. Like one previous poster stated, I too grew up with the Purina brand name and trusted it completely, never gave it a second thought. I now read labels on pet food as carefully as I do people food.

They should be made to pay for killing off so many people's beloved pets and family members, but I'm not sure any amount of money would help ease the pain and sorrow I went through. I am still going through over the loss of my 2 big guys. RIP Mugsie (aka Mr. Muggs, aka baby dog) and Rocky (aka rocketman).

Original review: Aug. 28, 2012

My dogs got really sick on this stuff (Purina One Chicken and Rice). We had used it for a while; no problems. Then, the last 2 bags have been horrible. Our Dobie had runny stool and pooped in the house. He never does that. They were black, tar-like, and smelled horrible. Poor thing… He would ignore his bowl for a meal and then our border collie did the same thing (i.e., head down, low tail, and fever). After reading these reviews, I saw so many things that I recognized as symptoms mine were having. I took them to the vet and they had bacterial infections and the vet gave them Cipro. So for the next few days, they are eating homemade stewed chicken and rice. I took my bags back to Wal-Mart and have no idea what kind of food I am going to be getting. My vet said Science Diet was a good one, but it was 52 dollars a bag for a large bag. It might be cheaper to make our own and Missing Link Plus for the minerals. It is time-consuming, but I might do it if I can. Throw your Purina products away. Someone put it on Facebook! I don’t have fb.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2012

Approximately 3 days after starting Purina Veterinary OM dog food for overweight management, my dog started to drool excessively. Initially, I thought it was some topical treatment for skin irritation, but the more I read about my dog's symptoms, I think it has to do with the dog food. She has been to the vet numerous times to rule out digestive disorders and even had an endoscopy which showed severe small intestine inflammation. She is able to drink, but is not able to eat solid food. She is losing weight, but not in a healthy way. I would like to know what type of microorganisms might be causing these symptoms. What has something to do with the dog food to call such a severe reaction? I don't want to lose my dog. I wish someone would just come forward be honest about the dog food.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information