2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.26/5

Purina Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: May 30, 2013

I just opened a bag of Friskies Dry cat food and it was infested. I called PetSmart and they are going to refund our money. They can't replace it because when they checked the whole shipment, they were all infested which is fine because I think I'm changing foods if my cats can tolerate it. This really seems to be a problem with Purina/Friskies. I called Purina and they are sending me a refund and coupons. It is infested with moths and it looked like webs on the inside. And when my husband opened the food, a moth or two flew out into our house. Now we have to watch for them and try to kill them.

I was told to make sure the area the food was opened in was cleaned. I asked her if we could have problems from this and she said that there is a possibility and if we had to call an exterminator out, they would pay for it. She also said to make sure we kept an eye out for mold where the bag was opened. WTH??? She went into the speech about how it could have happened after it left the plant. But I told her the whole shipment had it. She then tried to tell me how their food is made under FDA standards, the same standards that our food and makeup is.

Original review: May 29, 2013

I have a Terrier/Poodle mix that we rescued from the local shelter 5 years ago now. For the better part of the last five months or so, my dog has been having constant vomiting issues as well as very loose BM. It got to the point where he would smell his food and back away from the bowl. He wouldn't even eat a single piece, but give him Milk Bones and he gobbled those up with no issues after.

After not being able to find his usual Purina One on the shelf a few weeks ago, we bought a small bag of Iams to hold him over. My dog ate it up. While for weeks, he had only nibbled at his other food at best, he ate this so fast we thought he would choke on the stuff. We thought all was well until later that night after we got back from our walk and gave him a Beggin' Strip. He puked again - just the treat too, not his dinner. It didn't dawn on me that the treats were Purina, the same brand as the old dry food until I was watching TV. It all connected right there. We've always fed him Purina brand dry food and as long as we've had him, he has always had some sort of digestive issue. It only got noticeably worse the last few months.

We've not given him any more Purina brand anything and it has been weeks since he's thrown up or had a messy BM. He has got more energy, and his coat even looks better. Whatever it is that Purina is doing, they need to stop. My dog was sick as heck for months before we figured this out. It's a wonder it didn't kill the poor little guy. Purina needs to pull the obviously contaminated products off the shelf and offer up refunds, not coupons to poison our dogs some more.

Original review: May 25, 2013

My dog definitely got sick from Purina's Puppy Chow. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him for a while. After a few days of diarrhea, I took him to the vet, had a fecal test run (which came back negative) and put him on antibiotics and all that. I have been giving him prescription diet i/d since then instead of his dry food. He was finally back to normal this morning. Well, I mistakenly mixed in some of the Purina when I fed him this morning because he seemed to be doing so well. When I got home this morning, his diarrhea was worse than it had been a couple of days ago!

Original review: May 24, 2013

My cats throw it up; my dog's coat looked horrible. I had to change pet food.

Original review: May 22, 2013

I've been feeding my dog Purina dog food ever since my dog was a puppy; he is now eight years old. My veterinarian told me it was wise to put him on senior dog food. Of course, I chose Purina Senior; it is my only choice. I'm an adult in my 60s and when I was a child, we fed our dog and cats only Purina. So there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted Purina to be in my dog's diet. To be honest, my choice is Purina. I did maybe have one or two issues with them and both times, they were very sincere and took care of the matter quickly and efficiently and professionally. My vote is for Purina - A+!

Original review: May 19, 2013

We have been feeding our cats Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Health formula for the longest time; before that, Purina One in the same formula. With the Purina One, there was a recall that no one really knew much about. The products were still on the shelves, and we were still purchasing it. Our cats were vomiting profusely, lethargic and irritable. This is when I found the recall and contacted Purina about the matter. They were sorry for the trouble and mailed me a couple coupons for more of their food. Really? That is when we switched to the Pro Plan. We were doing fine for quite a while. Recently, that is not the case. With the last two bags of food, we started noticing some changes in our cats again that turned into more vomiting.

So I started taking them one by one to the vet. There was no diagnosis other than they had eaten something. Then, when my little dog (who is notorious for getting into the cat’s food when they leave leftovers) started getting sick. I knew it had to be the cat food! It was the only common denominator. They have changed their ingredients a few times since we started purchasing this food a couple years ago, and I am less than happy about this. My cats have ballooned in weight (on a regulated feeding schedule), became very sick and very irritable all over again. Not to mention my poor little dog! After thousands of dollars in vet bills and the cost of this horrible product, we are done!

I strongly urge everyone to take a good hard look at their pet’s food and compare that to a better product. Determine if your pet’s well being is worth the risks we (and many others) have endured for a better priced food. You get what you pay for, or at least that used to be the case. Oh, before I forget! As if all the above information wasn't enough, have you ever wondered what this new ingredient, animal digest, in your cat’s food is? Animal Digest is a common ingredient used in pet foods. As defined by the AAFCO, it is a material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. A cooked-down broth made from specified or unspecified parts of animals (depending on the type of digest used).

If the source is unspecified (e.g. "Animal" or "Poultry"), the animals used can be obtained from any source so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included are 4-D animals (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter) like goats, pigs, horses, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on. According to FDA, digests are materials treated with heat, enzymes and/or acids to form concentrated natural flavors. Only a small amount of a chicken digest is needed to produce a chicken-flavored cat food, even though no actual chicken is added to the food.

Original review: May 16, 2013

Well, as for last night, one of the big dogs has begun vomiting and has pudding-like stools, and one of the babies in the other building, not sure which, vomited. I'm taking the dogs and stool samples to the vet tomorrow. For all I know, this might be a viral or bacterial infection. I will keep you all posted. Today, all the dogs are on rice with cottage cheese with a very little Hills W/D for a bit more flavor. My vet used Purina himself and has had no problems. He is checking with UC Davis to see whether they know of any changes in formulation or pre-recall problems.

Original review: May 16, 2013

I had purchased one can ProPlan Ground Chicken and Rice on my PetSmart card on Thursday, May 9, 2013. I had never used the product, but my dog is a picky eater, so I decided to try him on the ProPlan, because of the advertisement claiming it is so healthy for our pets. My dog started eating it on that following Saturday. By Sunday, he threw up and wouldn't eat, and on Monday, May 13, 2013, he ate a small portion, but then again threw up. He began not acting very well, so I drove to the Banfield clinic, where he is a patient, and related what had been going on.

Upon examining him, the vet asked what I feed him, and I told her Pedigree, but then remembered I had tried him on the ProPlan canned dog food. She explained that dogs are getting sick and dying after eating Purina's line of food, and that it is massive. Mine was the first that they'd heard to be sickened by canned food which means the contamination is more massive than originally believed, in Purina's products. She drew blood to see if he had the contamination, and sure enough he did and had to start on expensive antibiotics.

I am madder than mad at Purina, for not owning up and doing the massive recall that they should, out of compassion. But hey, we're talking moneymaking here, so, I am also wondering why PetSmart does not pull these line of food. Is the whole thing fixed to buy it at the store and then you have to take your dog to their clinic? I am beginning to feel it is a massive moneymaker on many levels. To me, it seems that the cheese is put in the trap, the cheese is eaten and then we must run our dogs to the same clinic in the PetSmart store.

Original review: May 16, 2013

Apparently, there may be problems with Purina products: Dog Chow (which had one recall), Purina One and Pro (which have not) and I am finding that I am not alone with mysteriously ill dogs. We have three established little chi's (here for several years, the most recent over a year and a half) who are having bloody diarrhea and general lethargy. So I decided to see if there were any recalls on the foods we use. There aren't. But I found this interesting blog site and am sharing the site link with a large number of dog people I know.

I took one chi, Shelby, to the Vet yesterday, the first showing symptoms, and I was told it is colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine. She was given some meds and I changed her food to home cooked rice with cottage cheese, and she is less lethargic and her poop is starting to look better today. But now, two more are ill. If she does not continue to improve, or more of these little ones get ill, we will be spending a lot of time and money at the Vet's office. So far, none of the bigger guys are ill, nor are the foster puppies who are in a different building on the property and on Purina, but they are eating puppy small bites, a different food than the rest of them. It may be a batch-to-batch issue. I don't know. This appears to have begun with the last bag or two of Purina One adult Chicken and Rice.

I read these reviews from this site and was very surprised and angered by what I read. We are pulling all the Purina products in the house and returning them tomorrow, including cat food. We have used their products forever but apparently, their foods have changed since Nestle bought out the company (BTW, Nestle's CEO thinks humans should pay for water, that it is not a right.) I am also concerned about Mazuri foods which are a subsidiary of Purina. We are feeding our Potbelly pigs their specialized feed without problem at this time but scary for sure! Anyone have any experience good or bad with Mazuri feed?

Anyway, this is a difficult situation. I will be cooking for all the dogs for a while and that's a lot of cooking since we run a dog rescue and often take in relatively large numbers of dogs! Currently, our population is stable so I know that is not the issue, and the affected dogs were okay until the last bag of Purina. (Sigh) I will keep reading this site and posting what we experience.

Original review: May 9, 2013

I had been feeding my Dachshund Purina Pro plan & she seemed to be pooping a lot. I switched to Purina One Beyond Chicken & Oatmeal recipe. She did not want to eat it which has never happened with any food. The little bits that she ate she spit the rest back out. I thought that it was just not tasty & figured she needed to get used to it. The third day on Purina One Beyond, she had massive diarrhea & vomiting. She almost died & has not yet fully recovered. I called Purina & they refused to take accountability & said they would send me a coupon. Really?! I paid 3 grand trying to save my pet & you are going to send me a 2-dollar coupon? I'm disgusted.

Original review: May 7, 2013

We recently adopted a second kitten named Shadow, through PetSmart to be a playmate for our resident kitten, India. When we adopted Shadow, PetSmart gave us a bag of Purina Pro plan kitten food, as this was what they were feeding the pets at the facility. I tried to keep India separated from him when they ate, as she is on Royal Canin and we were trying to wean Shadow on to the Canin as well.

In the following week, I caught India several times sneaking in and eating the Purina and not her Canin. I saw the difference in her immediately. She became bloated, lethargic, and feverish, and would vomit. This was just from her stealing a few bites of the Purina! Pretty soon, she stopped eating or drinking, and would lick her lips, indicating nausea. This all happened very quickly - within a few days.

Once I put two and two together, and realized it was the Purina, I dumped the stuff, so she couldn't possibly eat it again, and placed them both on the Canin (Shadow, having previously been an alley cat, has a tummy of steel, and took right to the Canin with no problem). The vet stated that she was suffering from severe dehydration due to nausea, and required a week of anti-nausea medication and antibiotics for a possible infection.

I am really concerned that Purina is producing a dangerous product for our animals. If this could happen to my cat within 1 week of eating Purina on the side, then I can't imagine what painful and dangerous medical conditions other people's pets are encountering when placed on the diet full-time. I realize there are some pets that eat Purina Pro and are fine, but there seems to be a significant percentage of pets that have a terrible reaction to their products, and that should be enough to get this addressed.

Original review: May 5, 2013

My Keeshound is not a fan of dog food. He’s spoiled, but he eats Purina One with no side effects. In fact, he seems to be feeling better. He is 11 years old with no hip problems. He prefers to eat chicken and rice, or burger and rice; but if he doesn't get that, he will eat the Purina One. I have tried numerous different dog foods, and it seems to be the best and one that he will eat. As far as snacks, he eats the Alpo Variety Snaps and that is the only snack he will eat. I tried others, and he turns his nose up at them, and then set it under the dining room table. I think that Purina is the best dog food on the market, and I am sick of people accusing them of killing their fur children. I know a lot of people that work there, and they are very caring people. It is a great place to work because the employees can bring their pets to work.

Original review: May 1, 2013

My sister is a boxer breeder and always feeds her dogs Purina Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice. She had a litter of puppies and some where sold and sent to homes. One came to my house. The last two dogs had severe diarrhea and throwing up. The vet figured out that the food had worm larvae in the food and the dog was given IVs to help the dehydration. She was in such bad shape that she eventually passed away. No help from Purina.

Original review: April 30, 2013

I bought a 50-pound bag of Purina One. I have a golden retriever and a cocker spaniel. Both of my dogs have been throwing up and also having watery stools for the past two weeks. I took all treats away not believing it could be dog food. I have always bought Purina One. Well, we threw it out after reading this blog and they are showing no signs of sickness now. I'm glad I got rid of it before I lost a pet. My heart goes out to those who have.

Original review: April 30, 2013

Our Dane is an adopted Dane. The lady we got her from said she had been feeding her Purina One. We did the same, not wanting to mess up her schedule. This past month, she's passed up on eating her food and gone to eating grass. We mixed a couple of other things like pureed sweet potato in with the food. She would eat some, but not all, then goes out and starts eating grass to throw it up. I just started checking this morning and I'm concerned about the problems I've read from others. I'm throwing out the rest of the Purina, will feed my Dane some boiled rice and chicken for the next couple of days then find another dog food.

Original review: April 28, 2013

I went to Just for Pets and bought a large bag of kitten food, with vouchers off next purchase. When I opened the bad, the vouchers they were out of date. I bought more food on 24/1, and the vouchers were out of date. I went back in last week, on 22/4, and the vouchers on the large bag of kitten food were also out of date. I complained to the staff that every bag I bought had vouchers that were out of date. They told me too complain directly to you. Surely, this is false advertising as the vouchers are worthless. Please go to Just for Pets in Bentley Bridge, Wolverhampton and check the vouchers out for yourself. This is false advertising, and there are laws against this.

Original review: April 23, 2013

I am very fussy about the food I feed my cats. Recently, I went to Purina's website and submitted a simple question - does your cat food have any ingredients that originate in China? They never answered my question and sent me a link to one of their websites that assures customers how much they do to ensure their cat food is safe, etc. etc. - spin, spin, spin. I will stop using all Purina products as a result. If more people simply stopped using their products, this foolishness would end. I guess this is what happens when a large multinational company (Nestle) buys an iconic American company.

Original review: April 22, 2013

Today, I read an article about USDA giving into the demands of the FDA and FSIS about wanting to add 3 toxic ingredients to all dog food so the meat stay fresher longer. As I read this article, it brought my attention to my dogs' dog food. We have always fed our Chloey the Purina Dog Chow and never had problems until about January when we switched to the Lamb and Rice formula for a mix up in her taste. She loved it! However, I didn't notice until reading the reviews of how much she has changed. She doesn't have the get up and go and has seemed rather grumpy. I thought it has been the crazy weather we have been having in Missouri. But the past 3 weeks, she has been wanting to eat excessive amounts of grass. Needless to say, tomorrow I'm going to the store and will be buying her stuff for her homemade dog food. I've wanted to do this for a while now and now this is the extra incentive to do it.

Let me also add that I don't like feeding her the Dog Chow; it's the only thing she will eat. We have tried her on 10 different dog brands both low price and several expensive brands but the Dog Chow is the only food she will eat. About halfway through her 20-pound bag of food, she doesn't want to eat anymore and we would have to find something else that she would eat. Purina dog food and treats will no longer be in my house.

Original review: April 22, 2013

Our once beautiful, loving and healthy Siberian Husky (Jericho) passed away today, April 21st, 2013. Only seven days ago he was his happy, healthy self. He ran to the door to greet us; he barked at the mailman; and he begged for table scraps. Earlier in the week we had gone shopping as usual and bought a bag of Purina One Cat food for our two cats. When we brought it home, they positively refused to eat it and cried with hunger. Very unlike them. We gave them a different brand we feed our younger cat, but left the bowl of Purina in hopes that they would stop being fussy. Jericho has a long history of eating the cat food when it is left unattended and did just that.

A day or so later, he woke up my father whining to be let out. The two went downstairs and the dog immediately got sick. At first we thought he had hurt his back on the stairs as he had done once before. We gave him lots of rest, but he did not recover. As the days went by and he refused to eat and continued to vomit, we rushed him to the vet. The vet told us he had eaten something and was sick. He gave Jericho some medicine, but it was too late. He proceeded to get worse overnight and died today. There is no doubt in my mind the cat food poisoned our dog, and I intend to have it tested asap.

Original review: April 20, 2013

My dog has been eating the Purina lamb and rice dog food for years. I bought a new 30lb bag from Walmart about 2 weeks ago and my dog refused to eat it. I left it out all day and she ate a few pieces and just drank water. She's been eating grass a lot and seems lethargic. She ate a bit more and wanted to drink a lot. I gave her dog treats and she gobbled them up no problem. I tried the food for a wethinly[sic] sure what was going on. She ate a bit and drank a lot again. I bought a completely different type of dog food and she gobbled it up instantly! She seems to be doing ok now, so I tried her back on the Purina food and she ate a few pieces and started eating grass again! I’m throwing the Purina food out. Obviously my dog is trying to tell me there is something wrong with this food! I'll notify Purina and see if there have been other complaints. I guess it's time to change brands!

Original review: April 18, 2013

I have a total of 5 cats, all domestic: Two short hairs (10 going on 11-year-old, gray tiger; and a 7 going on 8-year-old, black haired cat); two medium hairs (a 3-year-old black and white, and a 2-year-old black), they are brothers a year apart; and a 1-year-old long haired tabby. I bought this product because Purina said it would help the ones that don't need to lose weight maintain weight and the ones that do lose weight. I followed the instructions at the back. We started using the product a year ago when it came out. Everything seemed fine until winter hit. My one year old in November started losing hair on the back of his neck. First spot was the size of a dime and he was constantly digging. We thought maybe he was allergic to plastic, so I went out and bought stainless steel bowls and got rid of the plastic.

By December, around Christmas, he started getting more spots and he was constantly digging. His attitude changed. We couldn't get near him. He was jumpy, moody, don't touch me I don't want to play - a complete opposite of himself. By January, we bought cortisone (the shampoo). It was worse. He completely was digging and wanted nothing to do with people. So I called the vet in February because he really got worse - he was biting. In the meantime, we ruled out flea mites and worms. I stopped using the food with all 5 cats on Feb. 13, 2012 and immediately called the vet because he wasn't hunting or playing like he should. He had an appointment on the 20th and by the 19th, my poor baby boy lost his hair on the hips and came out overnight. I said, "That's it."

I called Purina. They said, "Sorry, but nothing we can do." I spent $45.10 that day. March 20th came, his hair still wasn't growing in right and he was digging. It cost me another $45.10. Purina still said it wasn't their fault. I just took my two year old on April 15th because minus hair on the back of neck, he's starting to have same problems as my one year old. Thank God it's not as bad as the one going on two. I am so angry with Purina. They said it's not their fault, but guess what? I might be taking my three 7 and 10-year-old next. They were perfectly healthy before this. My cats have always been raised on Purina and it's never done this until we used this product. So be warned before you buy or try the Healthy Weight. Oh and they got fat on it and not lose weight not.

So now between just the two boys, the one and two year old, I've spent over $100 and I'm looking at another $100 for the other three. If that isn't their fault that their food reacted horribly, then I don't know what it is. Also, I know cats shed but between my 2-year-old and 7-year-old, they can cover a blanket with cat hair overnight. That's not right. Purina needs to get their heads out and put the blame on products, not my 5 cats, because like I said, they had no problems until this food!

Original review: April 15, 2013

Do not buy this food for your pets! Thanks to your worthless dog food our Lab will soon die of cancer at the young age of 8. For his entire life we have fed him Purina Pro Plan (large breed with shredded "chicken"). We also fed him several treats made by Purina, including the biscuits and the Busy Bones. We never put all the evidence together, but it's now clear to us that feeding him Purina brand food (and treats) has slowly poisoned him. He now has an aggressive form of cancer. Three weeks ago, when he first showed signs of illness, we switched his food to a healthier and natural brand. We have already started to see a big improvement in his health and outward appearance, but I'm afraid it's too little too late to combat the cancer. He will now be having surgery on Tuesday, which is going to cost us thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, it will only prolong his life a matter of months.

I will never feed your product to any of our pets again. There are literally thousands of complaints out there against this company. Do you really think you're doing your pet a favor by buying cheap food with fillers, byproducts and harmful toxins that aren't even allowed in human food?! You get what you pay for. Unfortunately, we had to find out the hard way and will soon be losing a valuable member of our family because of it. I will never feed your food to our pets again, and I will be sure everyone I know is aware of this.

Original review: April 15, 2013

I am quite fussy about what I give my 5-year-old cat - steering away from the cheapest cat food. But for a treat and a change (as she likes a varied diet), I introduced some Purina One dried cat food in Salmon flavor bought on chance from a supermarket. It was not especially cheap. It seemed like a good brand and she loved it. Note: She was not eating this alone, only had a handful each day. Within two weeks, she started to vomit several times a day. I took her to vets, who did blood tests. Her pancreas was inflamed and more expensive tests were needed. She was taken off all her old foods (including the Purina) by the vet and put onto Hills prescription D/D diet (don't know if you can get it in US?), as well as tablets to stop the vomiting.

Her latest results show no sign of inflammation so we have been told to stop the tablets, keep on the new prescription food and see what happens. I have my fingers crossed that the vomiting won't return. The vet doesn't know what caused it, but I have my suspicions about that Purina cat food (having read other reports of illness afterwards). I hope to God that she is OK now because I feel so responsible for introducing the dreadest stuff and would hate for anything else to happen. I can't be sure it's the reason, but the timing seemed more than coincidence. I would never feed any animal anything by Purina again.

Original review: April 14, 2013

My cat is eating Kit N Kaboodle and every once in awhile, she throws it up.

Original review: April 12, 2013

I noticed three weeks ago all my animals were throwing up and had diarrhea. I took all of them off Beneful dogs and Meow Mix for cats within a week. They were almost all improved except two cats. One died about an hour ago. My husband ran out of our Labs' dog food and bought a different Purina brand, and within 4 days, he was throwing up and falling down. It was so sad. He went from running around to not being able to hold himself up. I took and threw the food away and put him on the Buffalo brand. In 7 days, he was back to his old self so I am positive this food is poisoned. Again, I lost 4 cats and 5 dogs the last time when the food was poisoned. These animals were the exact same symptoms. Please make someone recall their food.

Original review: April 12, 2013

I had a 12-year-old healthy cat. She had no health problems and was active. I had a coupon for Purina One SmartBlend so thought I would try it. She died 1 week later. The vet thought she had anti-freeze poisoning which would be impossible as she is an inside cat. I am going to have the food tested and try to rule out the pet food but that is the only thing different she had! Anyone have any ideas where I could have the food tested? Anyone else have this problem? I miss her as she was a long time loyal pet. I have since gotten another cat and I still have the cat food but I am too afraid to let her try it.

Original review: April 11, 2013

I lost my Yorkie a year ago for unexplained reasons, a healthy happy dog just got sick and bled out. His blood was unable to coagulate. The vet offered to do an autopsy but I just wanted to take him home and bury him. It was very painful to watch what had happened and have no answers. I am now watching my Chihuahua follow much of the same symptoms. Again, no one knows how to help her and it's heartbreaking. Had someone said to me the dog food you’re feeding your dogs are slowly poisoning their bodies, this wouldn't be happening for a second time. The synthetic vitamin K they put in their dog food is known to cause this to happen in dogs. It's toxic to their organs. Why would they sacrifice someone's loved pet for mere money? No words can explain what I had to live through and my poor pet, and now it's beyond sad. My heart is breaking! Please if I can get through to one person then I have saved your pet, not sure I can mine.

Original review: April 9, 2013

My 17-month-old Yorkie got very sick after eating Purina One Smartblend Chicken & Rice. He began throwing up and became generally lethargic. I have read the reviews of the food from other consumers and the input is very bad with many dogs having the same or worse reactions. The back says Best By: Aug 2014 30521079 1701 L10. I am taking it back to the store to alert them to the issue I have had. I think this dog food needs to be recalled based on what I have read about it and personally experienced. I am now taking my Yorkie to the vet to be sure he is okay. I think the company needs to take action on this.

Original review: April 8, 2013

I have a ten-year-old Siamese mix cat and for the past two years, we have been feeding her Kitten Kaboodle. Well, immediately after she would eat, she would throw the food back up. I had taken her to the vet and they had said that they didn't see any health problems with her, that maybe it was just due to her age and to just keep a watch on her. Well, after finding this website and all these horror stories, I truly believe that it is the cat food. I am taking her off it and finding something all natural even if it means that I have to make the food myself.

Also, I have a two-year-old Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix dog and a 9-week-old Yellow Lab puppy. My Jack Russell mix has always been on Beneful. I never saw a problem with it until we just got our Lab puppy. The puppy is very intelligent and catches on really quick. Well, after feeding him this food, he started having accidents in the house because he couldn't hold his bladder. After reading all the other people who have had the same type of problem, I now know that it has to be the dog food. We went to the store last night and took all of the Purina food back and in its place. I got our babies some of the Fresh Pet refrigerated pet food, and they love it. I hope this does the trick and helps all of my babies.

It is sad that such a huge well known brand is basically killing our animals. Why can't these products be taken off of the shelves? Why has the issues not been addressed by the proper officials?

Original review: April 7, 2013

My dog and cat are finicky eaters and love Purina food. However, the food is infested with grain bugs (white webbing in bags with black cocoons and flying bugs) that hatch the longer you have the food. Purina first accused me of having grain bugs in my house - I live in a city, not a farm. Purina gave me tons of free coupons. One day I went to Pet Supermarket, Petco and Petsmart; all the Purina dog and cat food that I tried to buy was infested with grain bugs. The stores say it is due to cheap grains that Purina uses. My poor dog and cat are so upset not getting their Purina anymore. Now using Buffalo, but the dog doesn't like it and the cat just cries from hunger. Please help me!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information