2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.32/5

Purina Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2013

Today I purchased Purina Felix food for my cats and once opened I found maggots! The cat food came in a pack of 6 and the plastic was fine; after looking online I know I am not an isolated incident and people's pets have died because of it! Sort it out!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

I am very disappointed that after so many similar complaints to what happen to my pet this past weekend. My beautiful 6 year old Black Lab was so sick we feared he would die. It could only be the food, he is a house dog and never out in the public. I fed him ONE SmartBlend Chicken and Rice. Then awoke Friday to a lot of vomit all around the house. Took him to a vet who found blood in his stool. He was dehydrated and weak.

The dog was treated with antibiotics and taken off Purina ONE, first to boiled rice and chicken. He is now beginning on Science diet for sensitive stomach. Then this morning, a second dog is vomiting! Needless to say Purina owes their customers an explanation. How can they endanger our pets. This family will no longer buy their products. I will be returning a new unopened bag, and share my experience with other pet owners. There should be a public explanation of what is going on with our pet's food... and repayment of pet owner's Vet expenses at a minimum!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2013

I have always for several years purchased this brand of food in the large bags, But this month I purchased one of the smaller bags around 18-pound bag. Now my dog is so ill he has diarrhea real bad. This just started yesterday. I am trying to keep him hydrated. HE looks so bad I don't know if my dog will pull through this. I am giving him antibiotics so time will tell. I have taken pictures of him since he is so ill. Also it looks like the diarrhea has blood in it now. I will not be feeding my dogs this brand till questions are answered.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2013

Has anyone experienced any issues with the prescriptive brands? A friend of ours’ dog almost died from moldy Purina One dog food last month. I thought about changing brands then but thought maybe the prescriptive diet food was different...?

My cat is diabetic and has been on the same food for about a year with no issues (Purina DM). I opened a new bag of dry food this weekend and he started throwing up yesterday afternoon. He still had an appetite but hadn't kept anything down, even water, for about 15 hours or more. This morning when he didn't eat his breakfast, I decided to give him something different, some Fancy Feast that we still had in the pantry. He has eaten half a can so far with no vomiting, though he still hasn't pee'd or pooped in over 13 hours...

I called the vet and they received no reports on food recalls and I can't find anything online more recent then this forum. I thought about trying to feed him the food again; after his stomach settles down to see if that is truly the culprit... Sometimes when he eats bugs (spiders) he vomits, but usually not for so long. He also vomits when his bowels are backed up, so I'm watching for that too (though the usual signs are absent). I'm just trying to be pro-active by reaching out in this post. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 17, 2013

In May 2013, I started giving my dogs wet food mixed in with their Blue Buffalo dry food as a treat; sadly, it has been anything but that. My old English bulldog started having yellow vomit 2-3 weeks after eating Purina every other day, and the vet said he had high level of liver enzymes and that she believed he had some type of vomiting syndrome and I bought that excuse. Then this past month, my pit bull has started having similar symptoms: diarrhea with mucus and sometimes blood in it, yellow vomit, and occasionally refusing to eat their dry food if Purina was mixed in.

As of 3 days ago, my Old English bulldog stopped eating the wet food and he's starting to act fine again and having less symptoms. My pit bull on the other hand, isn't. She is now having bumps appear on her coat and the vet cannot explain it (hence why I'm switching vets tomorrow) so I have decided after reading all these reviews and my dogs having a similar experience that I will be returning the Purina the second PetSmart opens tomorrow and I'll stick with what I know is the best Blue Buffalo. Hopefully, my animals will recover soon so I can have my best friends back.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2013

Something has definitely changed for the worse with Purina One Smartblend cat food. My two 12-year old cats have eaten nothing but Purina One for their entire lives, starting with Purina One kitten chow. They have been happy and healthy, willingly scarfing down Purina One. Until about a week ago, when it became clear that my more adaptable male cat was eating a minimal amount of Purina One and his far more sensitive sister was eating virtually none. They are indoor city cats whose environment hasn't changed, showed no signs of being sick and were obviously hungry, regularly walking over to their bowls to eat, sniffing and staring at the food and walking away without eating. I thought I was losing my mind until I found this site and realized that there might really be something wrong with the Purina One that was driving my guys away from it.

By the way, I have new bags of 3 different varieties of Purina One (Chicken and Rice, Vibrant Maturity and Healthy Metabolism), purchased at 3 different locations, and my cats are avoiding all of them. Desperate to get them to eat more, I went out and bought a bag of Orijen, which they love. It's much more expensive than Purina One and will require some budget adjustments, but I absolutely adore my little sweeties and want to give them a high-quality food, which I used to think Purina One was. No more!!! My heart goes out to everyone who has posted about their pets becoming seriously ill or dying as a result of eating Purina and I thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope someone at Purina cares enough to take notice.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2013

We have four dogs, and I have fed Purina one lamb and rice dog food to my two dogs for several years and never had any problems with the food itself. When my son moved in he had two dogs, all senior citizens who became ill this week, vomiting, diarrhea, all very ill. We looked at the dog food this morning and found little white bugs on the food. I have tossed the whole can of food out. We keep it in a kitty little pail that has been washed out well and air dried for days. I am in the process of making an appointment with the vet asap to get them something immediately. If something happens to my dogs, God help Purina for this issue.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2013

I have fed my Golden Labs Purina Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Formula for years. For the past year my wife and I have battled small larvae in the closet (on the ceiling) where I keep the dog food. Often small moths, we thought were coming through cracks in the walls somewhere in the closet. We never directly linked it to the dog food until recently as I've begun to dump it into a large plastic bin for storage. This is absolutely the source from brand NEW bags of food. The last NEW bag was infested with full grown moths and larva embedded in their food!! We did a search and found 607 complaints that it has been going on for many years and Purina is doing nothing about it. After 19 years I've purchased my last bag of Purina dog food and since the company continues to neglect this issue, I will continue to spread the word as much as possible. We urge you to do the same!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that we have a total of 5 cats, all indoor and all confined to 3 rooms. On Tuesday, August 6, 2013, I fed my cat Boo (the other cats do not eat wet food) a 1/4 can of Purina Fancy Feast Flaked Tuna and left for work. My boyfriend woke up and saw throw-up and a yellow mucus. When I came home from work, I could not find Boo. She was hiding under the bed, I pulled her out and she was soaked from the stomach down, would not eat or drink and lethargic . I phoned the vet and was asked to bring her in, I explained that I live an hour away and they would be closed by the time I got there. I took her the next morning to the vet, she had a 104.9 fever, she was given an antibiotic shot and a food supplement, and they said to keep her isolated. The vet stated it was a virus and if she was not better in 72 hours to bring her back.

On Wednesday morning, August 7, 2013, she was still lethargic and was unable to judge where the water bowl was and was unable to stand. When I arrived home, I gave her the supplement and some water via an eye dropper. About an hour later, I checked on her and she had vomited again. When I woke Thursday morning, she was the same, however, when I returned from work, she was a little worse. I phoned the vet and they said bring her in first thing in am, they will keep her a few days and give her IV. I stayed in the room with her until midnight. On Friday morning, I got up and went to check on her and she was dead. I did a little research and found a few complaints on Consumer Affairs site in regards to Purina. I did contact Purina on Friday and filed a claim. I still have the can of food. I buried her in the backyard. I questioned the vet about an autopsy and was told that it was too late as she was buried and all evidence would be

contaminated. My cat was at the vet in June to be declawed, received all shots and was very healthy up until Tuesday, August 6, 2013.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2013

My wife bought some Purina One for our dogs, three Pyrenees, one 12, one 4 and one just a year old. That was yesterday and they tolerated it. Today, although fed from separate bags, three are vomiting up all the food. Usually I give the two younger dogs Nutro brand. This is large breed Purina One that they don't tolerate. The twelve-year-old has been just tolerating canned dog food but seemed to tolerate the One kibble for 24 hours, but all three vomiting is worrisome. Could be the make up of the Purina was not tolerated but I am looking for any reports of recalls. For now, will discard the two bags my wife bought and the two unopened bags I got at the Air Force commissary, maybe I can return them. They have never gotten sick on any dog food before.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2013

I had been feeding my two dogs outing one lamb and rice for as long as I've had them. I had always trusted the Purina name and was unaware they were bought by Nestle. A few weeks ago I got a brand new bag at BJ's Wholesale Club and fed my dogs. After the first feeding, my 65-pound pit bull got severe diarrhea. The next day I fed them again and the same dog vomited everything she ate about an hour after eating. This lasted for 4 days. I brought her to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong. I fed my dogs again that night and my other dog vomited immediately after eating. So now both of my dogs have diarrhea and vomiting. I then thought I must have gotten a bad bag of food. I called Purina and they told me that there have not been any other complaints about their food but that they would give me a coupon. After reading all of this I am outraged. I have switched my dogs to Taste of the Wild and they love it and are now feeling better. I also switched my cats food from Purina to Wellness. I will never use Purina products again and am outraged that they are denying to us consumers that there is anything wrong with their products as our animals are getting sick and dying.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2013

I have fed my English Bull Terrier Purina One Lamb & Rice Formula for several years. Off and on I have noted small larvae in the pantry (on the ceiling) where I keep the dog food - well over a year. Often small moths. I never directly linked it to the dog food until recently as I've begun to dump it into a large plastic bin for storage. This is absolutely the source from brand new bags of food. It is disgusting!! I just did a search and find on this site that it has been going on for many years. The company MUST know. Starting tonight I've purchased my last bag of Purina dog food - ever!! Spread the word... I will take a picture of these worms in the food...

Original review: Aug. 5, 2013

I had always fed my cat Friskies brand wet cat food because its five ounce cans were comparatively cheaper than other cat foods available on the market and the large volume of food contained in the five ounce cans made the can last all day. So I continued to feed the Friskies to my cat on a regular basis. One day I bought a new batch of Friskies and opened a can. My cat ate a spoonful of it and then vomited. I just assumed that she had caught a stomach cold and that was causing her to threw up the food. The next day I opened another can of Friskies and she had a plateful of that and then vomited the food again. The third day, I opened another can and she ate a plate of that; she then suffered a lock jaw and could not swallow the food anymore.

Her bowels then spontaneously emptied without any conscious effort on her part. And she then started losing her balance and staggering around. So I immediately took her to the vet. The vet stated that she was suffering from salmonella poisoning. The vet pumped her stomach out but stated that she was in a bad shape and may not make it. She died several hours later that day. I later learned that Friskies had been recalled for containing high volumes of salmonella several times in the past.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2013

I have owned, groomed, boarded, bred, and Shown Dogs to their American Kennel Club Championship for over a decade. I pride myself on educating myself about dogs and their well being, but I missed the Purina name being bought by Nestle and my animals suffered for it. They became very ill with digested blood in their stool, vomit, and weight loss. I am sickened that Purina/Nestle has known about this for years and done nothing. I have researched and made the choice to put my dogs on Acana and Orijen, and will never again support Purina or Nestle products.

Original review: July 31, 2013

Our two cats started vomiting after I started feeding them a new food, Purina Smartblend that I bought last week. Has anyone else had this problem? For dog owner, did you find out what was the cause of your dog's vomiting?

Original review: July 31, 2013

I am amazed at the stories concerning Purina One and Fancy Feast as that is all I feed my cats and they too are all becoming ill one at a time. I experienced the worms and webs in one of the bags and just thought it was some problem with the storage area at PetsMart and returned it blaming them. I am horrified to learn this has happened with many others. The stories of mold upon opening cans of Fancy Feast is absolutely horrifying since it tells a story of a whole batch of gore that was either canned anyway to avoid affecting their profits or illustrates severe violations on quality control they do not want to pay for. And there are 1000's of stories on the internet of illnesses beginning immediately after switching to a Purina Product.

My cats too have become ill on the canned Flaked Fish and Shrimp and am astonished to find there is a recall and it is still on the shelves and no one was alerted. Cats are dying. Purina just continues making these foods made in China. Why are companies allowed to torment and kill our dear pets? Yes, it tastes good and they eat it, so us uninformed people keep buying it. For God Sake, shut this company down and allow us to buy a less tasty food that will prevent the agony and slow death of animals who do not deserve this.

Original review: July 27, 2013

After gradually changing dog foods to Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach they both are in misery. My 11 year old golden stomach is grumbling and she seems really in distress. My one year old Westie stomach grumbling and vomiting yellow. She won't eat anything offered now. I will have to take two dogs to the vet to get them over this dog food issue.

Original review: July 23, 2013

My puppy, Charlie, passed away this morning. He started vomiting and having diarrhea on Sunday. He was brought to the vet on Monday. He started to have bloody watery BM and thick clear saliva that hung out of his mouth. Around 8 pm last night, I noticed that his pupils had become dilated and did not respond to light or movement. It was one of the hardest things to watch. I also have friends that had the same thing happen within the past month. One of the dogs passed away. The others just became very ill and had to be kept in the hospital. They all tested negative for Parvo and Corona. The one thing they all had in common was the Purina.

I called Purina this am and was hung up on the first time. The second time I spoke to someone who was somewhat helpful. They are sending me a box to ship them a sample of Charlie's food. I am also having a necropsy done. I am not 100% sure that the food has something to do with it, but after reading all of this and the complaints on Purina's FB page, I am 99.999999% sure something is wrong with their products. When I called them this morning they told me that they haven't had any complaints and I just can't believe that considering all of these posts and the ones on FB that Purina responded to INCLUDING MY POST ON IT!! Unbelievable!!!

If anyone would like to help, please email me or send me a message on FB the package info. on your product if you still have it and the date your pet was sick. If you have any of the food left you can also call them and request that they overnight you a specimen box so they can test it. I will have Charlie's tested by a lab of my choice too, not just them. I plan on sending this to Purina. I have filed a complaint with the FDA. I believe that if more people speak up then they will do something, I hope so anyway. Thank you in advance!

Original review: July 16, 2013

A few days ago I bought a bag of Purina ONE Smartblend Lamb and Rice Formula for my 8 lb yorkie/miniature schnauzer mix. We fed it to her for four days and for those four nights she has had diarrhea... bad diarrhea! Other than that, she is very happy and healthy. I have now, under the instruction of my vet, stopped giving her the Purina and am putting her on a bland diet of chicken and rice cooked in my own kitchen. After a few days of that I will introduce her to a different brand of lamb and rice dry food and see how that goes. Will keep you posted!

Original review: July 14, 2013

We had been using Purina One Large Breed for our dogs for years, until recently when several batches from different stores came infested with worms and meal moths. After contacting Purina, they did not apologize or say they would look into the problem (which I found on-line has been an ongoing problem with Purina products), they simply said that they were "not harmful to pets" and sent me coupons. Really?? I don't think any pet lover should invest $ in this company, who clearly does not care about pets!!

Original review: July 13, 2013

Fancy Feast 3oz. canned cat food fish & shrimp feast flaked - Both my cats have become very sick - vomiting and diarrhea. The first one, which I took to The Prescott Valley Pet Clinic, was treated by Dr. **. After spending a great deal of money getting her well, my other cat became ill. I called the vet this morning to tell the vet the same episode is occurring with my other cat. I contacted Purina only to find out that there is a recall on Fancy Feast of this same variety. After some research on the internet, I have found other people have experienced the exact same symptoms I am. Why was problem not made public knowledge?

Original review: July 8, 2013

My 2 Dachshunds started on the Purina OM prescription food to lose weight about a week and a half ago. After a week, they were eating half and half mixture of their old food and the OM. On July 3, around midnight, my dog Onyx passed a puddle of watery blood from his anus, and threw up any water that he drank. The 24-hour Vet hospital took X-rays and did some tests, and found no blockages or twisted colon.

He was put on antibiotics and anti-nausea and antacids and got IV fluids. If these didn't help, further tests would have cost close to $1000, which I don't have. I had to get a Care card to pay the $460. He is still on a bland diet. The only thing different in his life was the Purina OM, which he will not be getting again. So now I have a huge bag of this stuff that I'm afraid to give my dogs.

Original review: July 4, 2013

I'm mad a week ago I got a 31.5 lb. bag of Purina Dry Dog Food. It was for my two senior dogs. I took it home and poured it in to my container like I always do. When I got my boys dog food the next day, they wouldn't eat it. I have a yorkie 9 lbs and a pitbull 82 lbs. When I looked in the food, there were worms coming out of the food. I took the food back to the store. They wouldn't do anything without the receipt. I lost over 32 lbs of dog food. It was Purina Dog Food for senior dogs Pro brand. I've been getting Purina for 11 years and never had this happen before. My dog grew up on the different brands of Purina and they love it. I also got a new container from Home Depot. I will continue to get Purina for the boys. I hope maybe you can correct this. I don’t shop at PetSmart anymore. Thanks.

Original review: July 3, 2013

I have been feeding my 4-legged child this food for 4 years. He had gotten sick last year due to ingesting something toxic and almost died, but the doctors were good and he recovered. During the time, he was being fed a prescription diet food. I was ready to make the transition back to Purina One and purchased a bag at PetSmart. I opened the bag and poured some into the container. I rubbed my hand over it to smooth it out so I could put the top on. When I did that, I noticed a glob on my hand. I started looking and it was a worm. The bag was infested with meal worms. They were eating the flat pieces of food and were actually inside these pieces. There were also some just crawling around. I knew when I looked at it good that it did not look normal.

I called Purina to report this and they said they will send me a coupon. I told them that I don't know if I'll use any of their products again. How does something like this get past quality control? Now I wonder if this is the reason he had gotten sick. They should have recalled this food immediately when I reported this, but I have seen nothing about it. If anyone uses this food or any other food made by Purina, look at it carefully to make sure there are no worms. There is no excuse for a product being put on the shelves for us to feed our 4-legged children! How does this happen?

Original review: July 2, 2013

We have been feeding our dog Beneful for 9 years (it's all he has ever had). But a few months back, there was one bag he refused to eat. After about 2 weeks, I realized it wasn't so much that he was sick, but didn't like the smell of the food. We bought another one bag (completely wasted the one bag) and he started eating. Figured it was just a bad bag (it did look different - dry and crumbly). Months later, he is now refusing to eat again. He smells it and refuses it just like before. But you get hungry enough and you'll eat anything. But then he eats a lot of grass because his stomach hurts. He is very lethargic and whines as if he isn't feeling well. This is not like him.

We have fed him twice a day this same Beneful Dog food without any problems until about 6 months ago. Now he isn't himself. I just got done adding some flavoring to the dog food to see if he just didn't have an appetite or he didn't like the smell of the food. He then devoured it. So I know he has been hungry. I decided to google the dog food and find out that other dogs are dying. I wonder if that's why our dog isn't himself. We are concerned that he may be dying as well. We will switch to something else and see if he gets better.

Original review: June 26, 2013

About 18 months ago, we had to switch dog food because Zuzu, our female husky mix, wouldn't eat any of the good stuff we usually bought - Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Pro Plan. What she DID like was Purina ONE chicken and rice formula. The other dogs liked it too, so that's what we've been buying. Last weekend, I had my husband stop after work to pick up a bag since I was almost out. Come Monday, Luna, our 9.5-year old Boston terrier, had diarrhea. I held wet food (usually mixed with dry for their evening meal) and just gave all four dogs dry food. Yesterday, came home to a ** mess, and I mean **!! We figured it was Luna! This morning, Zuzu and Caesar (our male boxer mix) both have diarrhea, but Luna is better since I've withheld dog food since the small bowl she got on Monday evening and I've been giving her boiled rice and canned pumpkin. Our fourth dog, Roo, a female Boston terrier, has never been sick a day in her life and has always seemed to tolerate everything and anything she consumes. I'll be keeping a close eye on her and hope she doesn't become ill too.

We are now withholding all dog food from all four dogs and I just boiled rice in beef stock. I got them some plain Greek yogurt and more canned pumpkin. I bagged the Purina dog food up and drove 40 miles one way to buy two bags of Taste of the Wild bison & venison dry food which is supposed to be totally grain free. If they all get better with the temporary rice diet, I plan on raising hell with Purina and I will never buy their products or any pet product associated with them ever again. I've also filed a report with the FDA regarding this matter. Purina has let the ball drop before with their pet products. Major boycotts might make them open their eyes and take more care with products that we use for our pets.

Original review: June 20, 2013

So I had been feeding my cat Purina Kit N Kaboodle but then she got sick on it so I complained to the company. They sent me a coupon for a free bag of food which I used to purchase Purina Cat Chow Complete. She was fine on that for a few months and now she's throwing up food again.

Original review: June 11, 2013

I have been buying Fancy Feast for my cats for years and never had a problem until 2 days ago, when I opened a can of Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys Turkey Tuscany, and it was covered with mold. I'm not sure I want to give her anything else from your company. I'm afraid there could be something wrong that I can't see that could be hurting her, but that's a problem seeing that it is the only food she will eat. The can has a best buy date of Jan. 2015. The lot # is 30081160L3FW11836. I don't even care about a refund for one can but I thought it was something you should know.

Original review: June 10, 2013

I just put down my 14 year-old Australian Shepherd after two bouts of extreme diarrhea and an attack of Vestibular Syndrome. The first bout of diarrhea came after I had added Purina One canned Tender Cuts ("Wholesome" Lamb & Brown Rice) to his kibbles (Rachel Ray's Nutrish, with which I have no complaint). The feces were bright yellow in color. He was treated with antibiotics and fed rice and boiled chicken; however, while I was away and against my instructions, his sitter gave him more of the canned food. When I returned, he again had extreme diarrhea. This time the Vestibular added to his misery.

When I brought him to my vet, he tested fresh feces and told me my pet was absolutely riddled with bacteria and would need a massive dose of antibiotics to kill the bacteria but would not likely recover well from the Vestibular. While his food did not cause Vestibular Syndrome, I believe the canned food was dangerously tainted. My dog was one who would eat most anything without harm. In the end he even refused chicken and rice. I am heartbroken. I believe use of this product hastened his death. Sure, he was an old guy, but he had a little more life in him that I believe Purina took away. I would avoid this product at all costs!

Original review: June 7, 2013

Purina Little Bites - My Dog started vomiting up her food since I've started feeding it to her a few days ago and she doesn't want to eat it unless she's really hungry. My other dogs I've noticed don't want to eat it as well. I will have to go back to a different brand that we use to feed them. I feel like my dogs are starving themselves because this food is making them sick or feel bad. They will only eat a little bit of this food when they are starving. I don't recommend this brand of dog food.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information