2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.26/5

Purina Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2013

Otherwise healthy, NO health issues, 12 year old German Shorthair Pointer - until change in food. (Unable to purchase product previously used in diet) Changed food to Purina One Smartblend Lamb and Rice - developed diarrhea and vomiting. Took him to the Vet on TUESDAY. Vet gave him an antibiotic and anti-diarrhea medication. Vet recommend bland diet of cooked rice which dog ate. Seemed a bit better next day. Symptoms returned within 12 hours, noticeable diarrhea began THURSDAY evening. Dog was lethargic and vomiting next morning, FRIDAY, returned him to the Vet. Died within 2 hours! So, so, sad!! After reading others issues with this product and experiencing the death of a healthy dog. WHY isn't this being investigated?? Please, Purina, alert distributors and pet owners immediately. Is money from the suspected product worth a beloved pet's life???

Original review: Nov. 2, 2013

Our 2 healthy cats have refused to touch any food, including treats and water, for 2 days, and now have diarrhea. We have 4 rescue kittens who are fed separately on a different brand but play and share litter boxes with the cats, and all the kittens are fine, so it had to be the food the cats were eating. The two sick cats ate only Friskies Ocean Whitefish and Tuna, Mixed Grille, and Turkey and Giblets. Unfortunately I can't recall which one I fed them just before they got sick, but it was probably the whitefish or the mixed grill. Looking at the Mixed Grille I tried to feed them today, there were some strange bright orange globules in it, but I don't know if this is from the same batch they were eating 2 days ago or not. Not a very good picture but hope it helps. Would really like to know if anyone else is having these problems with Friskies canned food.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2013

For nearly 2 years we have had our male Siamese cat in and out of the vets for continued issues with tape worm. We tried shots, over the counter pills, prescription meds to rid him of this continuing issue. We were told that he ate a lizard or gecko which can carry tapeworm. We were told he could have gotten them from a flea. We were told any number of things to try and explain why he would have a monthly ongoing issue with tapeworm. Shortly after adopting our dog 6 months ago, we noticed she also was starting to have the same issue with tapeworm. We thought she got into the cat box, or ate a gecko. Tried the same thing with the meds. Same result. Tapeworms kept coming back. No one suggested a change in diet.

I had always trusted the Purina brand and don't know what has happened to their pet food. But since my husband decided to change our pets' diet nearly 2 months ago, neither has had any further issues with tape worm - no meds, no vet visits, just changing their food brand. We have no other explanation than their food was contaminated from the manufacturer. Needless to say we will no longer be supporting the Purina line of dog food.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2013

Lab #1: 11 yr old Develop Pancreatitis after returning to Purina One after trying TSC brand for a while. After 6 months on Purina, began having soft stool tainted w/blood, straining often even when empty, bloated, sore stomach when palpated, eventually lethargic. Blood work showed abnormal pancreas numbers. Antibiotics. Vet furnished Science Diet low fat. Careful diet after 6-8 weeks OK -- now on IAMS Low Fat Healthy Food (10%). Stool normal, seemingly better.

Lab #2: 4 yo / After 6 months Purina One, lethargic, bloated, sick. Blood work showed extremely high white blood cell counts. Now on 14 days strong antibiotics. Took him off Purina one last night & starting to offer little of IAMS Low Fat.

Labs live in 2 different residents (my son's & my home) and have healthy living environments. Too much of a coincidence in my book.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2013

I have had my dog on this for almost a year and did not have any problems and the last bag I bought has made her sick. She has been experiencing nausea, vomiting and even after stopping that food seems to be lethargic and not herself. She doesn't have a fever and her stool is ok now, but she is not herself. I wish I knew what was wrong with the food but I suspect it was contaminated. If I could find somewhere to get it tested I would, but not sure where that would be. I hope there has not been permanent damage.

As I have reviewed more and more ingredients in the dog foods it is very scary. I am looking at a few other natural logic foods to help her recover...Frankly I think once she had such a bad experience with kibble she doesn't want it anymore. I can completely understand. Does anyone know where this could be independently tested for toxins? Stay clear of Purina! They just don't care. I also heard that some of the cautions with Del Monte snacks are a problem too because of ingredients from China. Just don't know what to feed my dog anymore... I feel like it is safer to feed her people food with supplements!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2013

I too used to buy Purina for my dog and cat. Then I did some research on pet foods, which lead me to switch to Taste of the Wild. It may cost a little bit more, but it's cheaper to keep your animals healthy with a good quality food rather than waste money on vet bills or to feel the sorrow of losing a much loved pet. Grocery store pet foods have lots of bad fillers and grains in them, which will leave your animals lacking in the healthy nutrients they need. Google search "top 10 best dog/cat foods" to find the best pet foods for your pets. Hope I was able to help someone with the information I proved :)

Original review: Oct. 29, 2013

I had two cats that had to be put to sleep because of liver damage last week. They went from being healthy happy cats, to very sick, unable to eat or drink, and ending up with bloody stools. That is when I knew there was a real problem. I have another cat now that has also become gravely ill and will soon lose her battle to liver damage as well. After speaking with the veterinarian, it is our belief that the liver damage that killed two of my cats and will soon take the life of a third was caused by the Friskies Cat food I fed them. It sickens me to think that a company like Purina would put out a food for our pets that would be any less quality than that they would serve their own families. I am thankful I found out what has caused the sickness of my pets, and I refuse to lose another one or knowingly allow anyone else to either, by feeding them poison disguised as food. I was going to register a formal complaint, but was not sure what the proper organization to do this would be, so I am anxious to hear back from someone with some suggestions on what I need to do from here to make a stand in honor of the pets I loved and lost.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2013

I've been buying my cats Purina cat food for 40 years. Two (2) weeks ago, my cats started neglecting their dry food (Purina Naturals). I thought it was because they were spoiled and wanted treats... not the case! I was practically forcing them to eat until I started to find throw up in their food dish and they would try to cover up their food dishes as if it were their cat litter??!! Then someone brought to my attention about a news story they heard on Fox News (10/24/2013) about dogs and cats being poisoned with tainted food.

I went to the Purina site and left them an e-mail which has not been replied to as of yet. One part of the UPC # matched the two (2) 6.3lb bags of Purina Cat Chow Naturals I had recently purchased at Walmart. Hopefully, whatever is going on with the cat food hasn't affected the health of my cats. Needless to say, I tried a different cat food... at least they aren't covering it up... yet?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2013

I had been feeding my dogs Earthborn dog food with great results, but it got to be too expensive so I had to switch them. I decided to try Purina One Lamb & Rice, and my dogs love it. But one of my dogs has had 2 urinary tract infections since I switched their food, and my vet recommended that they change her food back. Also, I had been feeding my 6-month old kitten Purina kitten chow, but the last bag I bought smelled completely spoiled. It smelled as though the meat and fish that they put in the food was rotten. Needless to say, I trashed it and switched my cat’s food. Even though I have been feeding my adult cats Purina One Salmon & Tuna dry food and I haven't had any problems, I have serious doubts about feeding my dogs & cats any kind of Purina food, especially after reading the comments here. And I will be switching their food immediately.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2013

My cats are 4 yrs old and I have been feeding them some version of Purina foods for the last 4 yrs. This year I switched to the Purina Naturals and then to the Purina smart blend - for sensitive digestion (the one in the shiny bag). My cats who vomited occasionally - hair ball and eating too fast, began vomiting more frequently. So I switched to the hairball formula. My cats have gone into kidney failure, one so sick that her numbers were off the charts and required a transfusion, IV and antibiotics. She was in the hospital for 5 days.

I have her home, she is recovering somewhat but her brother is now exhibiting the same symptoms. I don't understand what is going on with the food - the vet said that they have an e-coli infection. My cats don't eat raw meat - and they are not kittens so I don't understand how they could get it except from the food. If your cats are vomiting - please please take them to the vet, don't just assume it was a hairball. It has been very expensive and it will be with the Grace of God that my cats will survive this ordeal.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2013

Two weeks ago I fed my 14 yr old cat Lucy 2 cans of the Purina Friskies savory shreds. Well she quit eating. She's been on a slow decline since then. The vet can't find anything wrong, all the blood tests came back ok. Well something's wrong. She was fine and healthy before that. I've also fed her the Purina Indoor food for a long time. I don't know what to do and she's lost 6 pounds since then, she's still not eating. Never again will I buy a Purina brand anything.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2013

I used to feed my cat Fancy Feast canned food - chicken or turkey - and there seemed to be no problem. Then several months ago, every time the cat ate it, my cat immediately vomited. I changed his food and have no such occurrences. I'm very concerned about why the sudden change and the cat's reaction.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2013

2 years ago I fed both my cats Purina One Urinary Tract Health Formula and had for at least 5 years with no issue. Suddenly, the smaller of the two jumps up out of the blue, begins vomiting and loses the use of her back legs. The vet attributed it to a blood clot and Nellie was gone within a few hours. Flash forward to August 2013, Purina changed the bag for their Cat Food products. I see a change in Genius' eating habits. He is drinking ten times more than normal, not pooping normally. Purina's response is there was no formula change, just the bag. Sent me a few coupons for more of the same.

As the weeks went on Genius (he is a 10 yr old Manx) completely stopped eating, drinking and pooping. I replaced the Purina One food with wet cans to increase his moisture and added moist chews for now. He is finally starting to get back to his normal self but has certainly slowed way down. Purina should be forbidden from selling any more of this food until this is thoroughly checked out by an OUTSIDE source!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2013

My dog has been eating Purina One for the past year. Recently he's been getting sick EVERY TIME HE EATS. It's so unpleasant that he stopped eating and I thought he was sick and something else was wrong. I switched to Buffalo Blue and he stopped throwing up and started eating again. HORRIBLE FOOD.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2013

We bought Purina One Smart Blend Maturity from a local store within the last week. Our dog has been vomiting and pooping.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2013

We purchased Purina One, Pro Plan and Beneful Dry Dog Foods - all had moths! We purchased it from a high quality dog food store, but it made no difference. What type of quality control do you have? Three of your dry foods and all had moths! I am very upset. What are you doing to correct this horrible quality control?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2013

Dog has had watery diarrhea since opening a new bag of Purina One Lamb dog food.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2013

I have been feeding Purina over 18 years. When they first came out with Pro Plan, I was astonished at how fabulous the food was, and was very happy with the results. Recently they began making offshoots of the Pro Plan, Sporting and blah...blah...blah. I was becoming irritated and disillusioned that they were simply trying to increase revenue - I saw no real value in the different options. Then I got mad. I have bought 8 large bags since January 1, 2013 that have been full of worms, two with moths included and one with an awful spider type webbing all through my food! I am a Purina Pro Club Member.

The last 4 times I spoke with the company and gave them information from the food bags, they gave me coupons to replace the bags. I have gone to different pet food stores and today returned my LAST bag. I am sickened that they haven't followed up on this. After finding this site, I'm even more upset to know it isn't even a regional thing. My dogs have always done well on this food. I have been blessed - but I will not put them in any jeopardy and I can not keep wasting my valuable time calling in and going back to replace food bags when nothing seems to be done. It is intolerable. I hate doing this after such a very long time. At least my dogs did not get sick, although that could be why my younger ones had spirochetes/loose stool.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

I have two cats that I got while stationed overseas. I started them as kitten on Science Diet. It was okay but they got sick of it. So I started grilling the doctors at the vet clinic I worked for about what I should look for in cat food. I was told that the first 5 ingredients make up the bulk of the food and that anything with the word 'meal' in it such a chicken mean or something, should be avoided as that's all the leftover crap and can contain almost anything that you wouldn't normally eat. So like a crazy person I started reading the ingredients on pet food bags. Purina ONE was my first choice and the cats like it, but upon moving back to the states I decided to try something that was a little more natural.

Blue Buffalo just wasn't in my budget and after reading their reviews, and a complaints from a friend, I can safely say it's not going to happen. Purina ONE Beyond was my next option apart from making my own food. I haven't had a single problem with it and I've been using if for over a year now. I will say that any other Purina food besides their ONE line is absolute junk and I would never feed it to my cats unless I absolutely had to. They would get my food first though.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

I have three cats. The third one is a kitten. I notice the last two weeks the new food I bought specially the can of Friskies SMELLS really weird and made me feel like throwing up. Now I have my kitten very sick. Thank God for Internet and my instincts. I felt something was wrong with that food because my kitten was FINE. Now he is sick :( ever since I started feeding him Purina brand food. I really hope my adult cats don't end up sick too :( I am feeding them Trader Joe's brand and it looks like he is getting better, I hope. He was vomiting so much I can't believe they won't do anything about this. So many of our babies are getting sick and dying. This has to get fixed.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2013

I have a 10 year old Australian shepherd that I have been feeding Purina most of her life. I purchased a bag of Purina One lamb and rice and on September 5, 2013, she became violently ill at 2:00 AM. She continued to vomit the rest of the day and was unable to hold down water. She became dehydrated and could not even get up. I know it was the food because she will eat before I go to bed and she sleeps next to my bed all night. I had to feed her ice chips to keep her hydrated. Started to slowly feed her by hand two days later (not the Purina) until she was able to get some strength back and recover. Please beware!!! My dog is part of our family and I was lucky she pulled through.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2013

I purchased Purina dry dog food from Safeway. After feeding my small Poodle and Labradoodle for a couple of days, they became ill. The next time I opened the bag of food, FLYING BUGS CAME FLYING OUT OF THE BAG!! Stopped feeding it to my dogs, but by that time, they stopped eating, began vomiting, and I HAVE FLYING BUGS ALL OVER MY HOUSE AND IN ALL OF MY FOOD THAT IS NOT REFRIGERATED!! I called Safeway and left message to return my call and explained my problem. Waited two weeks and NO response. So, called Purina and have heard NOTHING back. Anyone else have this problem? My e-mail is: **. Please let me know if your "children" have been injured by Purina dog food!! Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2013

New bag, large bag of Purina lamb and rice. Dog got diarrhea. Took her off the dog food, gave her milk bones…cleared up. Put lamb and rice Purina down again. Woke up to mess again and diarrhea again... wet vac the entire house and wife mad. I did not know of any recall and can’t find any recall on computer.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2013

Impulse purchase of Purina Busy Roll bone treat Labor Day due to holiday closure of pet store. Tucker, our healthy, happy, 8-year-old Yorkie ate about a half inch of one bone Monday afternoon and a half inch 12 hours later. A few hours after that, he was lethargic, crying and lost control of bladder and bowels. We rushed him to the vet where he rapidly deteriorated and after failed attempts to revive him, he passed away about an hour later. Vet suspected toxic poisoning. Tucker wasn't out of our sight at any time and the only thing new to him was the Purina treat!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2013

PURINA dog chow - I bought a bag of PURINA dog food at Walmart and the bag had India moths in the bag. And now my house is infested and can NOT get rid of these things. I have done everything but nothing helps. These things got in to my food and the house. There are hundreds of them. AND PURINA does not want to help. They did offer me a very small amount of money. I can't buy food that they can get into because I still have them going on 2 months now. Please help. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2013

Recently (beginning of July 2013) I purchased Purina Indoor Cat Chow for my 15 year old cat. Previously I used Friskies dry cat food as well as Nine Lives wet canned. She had hyperthyroidism and was eating anything in sight and drinking lots of water but losing weight. The litter box was always full. Because she started vomiting hairballs I switched to the Purina Indoor cat Chow to see if this would help. About a week later she refused to eat or drink and it went downhill from there. She became seriously dehydrated and I took her to the vet who administered a blood test, xrays, ultrasound which showed absolutely nothing and we began IV fluids, and the vet gave her an antibiotic that was good for two weeks. We did this from Tues to Sunday giving her RX food by syringe and at home subcutaneous fluids. She was never a cat that liked to be handled and the more we treated her the more stressed out she became. Nothing was working. She was so weak but still tried to go in the litter box.

Well to make a long story short she passed away at home Monday night. The vet could not tell us what was wrong except she had arthritis and maybe some hyperthyroidism which if she made it we were going to treat with meds. I suspect that it was the food. She passed Aug 6th. I have a Black Lab who is a picky eater but has always for some reason liked eating the cat's dry food, as well as Pedigree wet food. He has had diarrhea for over a week so I took him to a new vet. He had a stool sample, blood test and urine analysis. The vet ruled out kidney and liver disease, worms, diabetes and said that it was either something major like cancer but would need a xray or ultrasound to make a further investigation or it was just an old dog with some gastrointestinal issues and was not able to handle the changing diet. He gave me some metrinazole and some RX w/p pet food that was supposed to make his stool solid again. If this did not work we were then going to do the xrays.

Well he has always been a very, very picky eater and he refused the Rx vet food so I mixed it with ground beef. It worked but the second bowel movement is still formed but soft. After reading about all the pet food recalls (Iams, Eukanuba, Diamond pet food, Milo's jerky, and now Purina brands, I decided I will make him his own food with beef or chicken with rice and even some veggies - carrots, potatoes, peas). He is looking and acting better, but still has soft stool without the Rx w/p food.

I am educating myself about the pet food industry and all the garbage they include in them like the red and yellow dyes that can lead to brain cancer, the fillers they use that are nutritionally useless. Also how the animal feed agencies and the Pet Food Institute (trade group that represents manufacturers) have blocked the FDA from making them define terms used in labeling and industry standards. These two words (definitions and standards) has delayed gov from issuing regulations on pet food. Shameful!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2013

I bought a new bag of Purina DM at my vet's office on 8/12 and opened and fed to my diabetic cat that night. On 8/15 I took him to the vet because he had been throwing up since 8/13 and had stopped wanting to eat on 8/14. It took two weeks to get him better, hand feeding him bits of food (not Purina DM because he refused to eat it). Eventually he started to get better and started to eat the Purina DM again when I'd put it out. But, he got sick again and has been throwing up over the past two days (since he started eating some of the Purina DM again). I don't know for a fact that it's that food that is the issue, but the vet wasn't able to figure out a reason for him to have gotten sick and stopped eating other than he's old and maybe something else is wrong with him we don't know of (after two rounds of blood work and several tests).

I've taken the Purina away again and am feeding him some regular cat food from the grocery store and will see if the vomiting stops. Unfortunately, he has now gone back to not wanting to eat, which is quite dangerous for him, especially since diabetic. I'd like to know if anyone has any information about Purina DM causing any problems. I did notice that in the bag I purchased from the vet on 8/12, there are a few bits of food that are much darker than the other bits of food. I noticed it because when placing in a bowl I thought there was a rock in it, but it was just a bit of food that was much darker in color than the rest. I've noticed that when I pour out a good amount into a bowl that there are darker pieces (and I've been feeding him this food for over a year and never noticed that before).

I just hope he gets better, and to be safest will not feed him any more of this food unless I know it isn't the food that is causing the issue. He is VERY picky about what he eats and doesn't eat bugs or any human food, so I know it isn't that he's been eating something I don't know about that's making him sick. It seems extremely coincidental that he got sick after starting this new bag of food, that he got better after not eating if for a couple weeks, then got sick again after starting to eat it again. If he isn't better in the next day or two after not having eaten any of the Purina DM, I will take him in to the vet for more in-depth testing. I will also ask my vet to see if there have been other instances like mine that he is aware of.

Like I said before, I've fed him Purina DM for over a year and he lost weight like intended and seemed to be doing well on it. I would have recommended this brand to anyone who asked about what to feed their diabetic cat, until this instance with him getting sick. Unless I know it is not the food that got him sick (or unless I know Purina is aware and doing something about it), I will be leery of giving him this brand food again.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2013

Regular store didn't have HAIRBALL MANAGEMENT formula so I bought the INDOOR formula. Mixed it with the HAIRBALL food I had left to transition them. One cat started throwing up almost immediately. Switched back to the unmixed HAIRBALL food I had left and took the other bag of INDOOR back to the store. They traded it for a smaller bag of HAIRBALL and credit. Week or so passed and gave my 3 cats the new package of HAIRBALL today and within an hour, 2 of them had thrown up. There is definitely something wrong with the food in the new packaging. NOWHERE on the bag is the phone # for Purina, so I had to go online to find it. Not very difficult. Gave the young man the numbers from the bag and he said they would send me a check to cover the cost.

Not happy to change. Been using Pro Plan for at least 10 years and have been very happy. But with 2 cats throwing up on 2 different formulas of it, there has to be a problem with the recipe. The young man at the store said my cats weren't the only ones throwing up on the new packaging Pro Plan. I hope that they fix whatever is wrong and get it back out. I bought Blue Buffalo and they seem to like it. It's more $, but overall dry food is very inexpensive on a daily basis.

Purina did right giving me a refund without any hassle. Just hope that nothing in the food will cause any damage to my, or anyone else's cats. Keep remembering the dog food problem a few years ago when many loved pets died.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2013

About a week ago, we bought our 1-year-old Lab Purina Pro Plan Sport. Today I noticed moths around the kitchen. I didn't think much of it since we live in Florida and bugs inside are pretty common. I keep the food in a clear Tupperware and when I went to pour some out, I noticed moths inside. I automatically freaked out and asked my husband to check the big 40-pound bag we keep in the cabinet. As he opened the cabinet door, about 6 moths flew out and when he opened the bag, it was INFESTED with moths!! I couldn't believe that we had to throw away a $50 bag of food. I am just thankful that my dog hasn't showed any symptoms of being sick. We will most definitely be taking her for a check up this weekend!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2013

I've used this product for the last 20 years. Both with an Irish Wolfhound/Rottweiler mix, and a Labrador Retriever. I've never had any problem with this brand, and it seems to meet my dogs nutritional needs. And you cannot beat the price, for the value. Quality control is a big issue for me, and it is increasingly hard to feel safe when feeding your pets commercial foods. I've been having good luck with this one.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information