2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.93/5

Purina Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: July 24, 2014

I have been feeding this food to my 2 dogs for a few years. However, in July I needed to buy a new bag of food and all the stores in my town were sold out. I searched the Walmart site and learned a Walmart store a few towns away had limited stock. I went to that store and bought the last yellow bag. One of my dogs is allergic to chicken but did fine on the lamb.

The non-allergic dog became sick after eating this bag of food. I thought it was from eating something else but to be safe, I threw out this bag of food. I was able to buy a new bag, now in green bag, and both dogs are doing fine. I should have contacted Purina about the food in the yellow bag as it must have been bad. I did not know about the recall or why the stores did not have more in stock. Walmart told me they will not be carrying this blend any more.

Original review: July 22, 2014

Today, I decided to buy a case of Friskies Senior Diet cat food Chicken & Tuna Dinner in Gravy. One of our female cats named "Mitzy" came into the house to have her evening meal. We have other varieties of Friskies on hand, but I thought I'd try the new selection on her. Upon presenting her with her plate of food, she proceeded to cautiously eat the selection. Everything seemed fine, just a routine feeding session. I left the kitchen area to go back to my computer room and heard a violent thumping sound. I rushed back to the kitchen and found her having a seizure.

After recovering, she stood up and yowled with a death-curdling moan and stood transfixed, drooling and her eyes wide open, then she collapsed. Needless to say, I freaked out. All I could do is watch her heart beat at an incredible rate along with labored breathing. There was nothing we could do for my wife and I other than witness a perfectly healthy cat die. She was dead within ten minutes. Tonight, we buried her in our on-site pet cemetery. We have acreage and can do so. In our 50 some years of owning both dogs and cats, we have never witnessed such. With us in our 70s it surely makes one sense their mortality. Yikes! So much for Friskies brand cat food.

I'm taking the case back to WINCO in the AM and alerting the management to what happened and so to getting a refund. I'll then proceed to start purchasing upscale cat foods for our pets, costs be damned. We've use Friskies for years, but this was a nightmare to witness. We're not lawsuit happy folks, but by damn Purina should get their act together and start creating some truly safe organic type foods for pets at a reasonable price point. Granted this episode might be a statistical fluke, but it's surely not something any pet owner should have to suffer. One thing I noticed is the ingredients within this can takes up an entire paragraph of 'microprint'; I.E., simply too much crap both organic and chemical to create a simple can of cat food. Something with the contents was deadly to "Mitzy".

Original review: July 19, 2014

The other day we bought some Purina tbonz steak treats from our local pet store. After giving our dog one he seemed like he was fine and liked them. Then the next day he started vomiting and having diarrhea. We noticed in his vomit the pieces of the treats which are obviously so unhealthy, his body couldn't even digest them. We started searching online and sure enough found hundreds of other people having similar or worse situations than we did. I'm just so glad we figured this out right away before he got seriously sick. Never again will I feed my dog any Purina product!! I wish I could give 0 stars!

Original review: July 14, 2014

I bought this puppy food from Petsmart on 7/13/14. I opened it up and a little moth flew past me. Then another on was in his bowl. I looked inside the bag and the moths were cocooned around the chicken prices throughout the bag. The bag was sealed tightly when I tried to open it, so I know this infestation came from the Purina plant not the store. I won't buy Purina products again. People should always check their Pet food before giving it to their pets!!

Original review: July 14, 2014

I have three dogs and for the past couple months we tried using Purina food. I have horses and they eat Purina, my elderly cat also was eating Purina. I switched the cat to 4Health due to not being able to buy the sensitive systems Purina food and she is doing great! No vomiting at all.

But the dogs, bad shape, an elderly corgi was first to get diarrhea. Didn't think much at first because she eats anything, I mean anything laying on the ground, the floor. If she sees it she eats it and usually she is ok in a day or two. Now this morning my much younger dog is sick, diarrhea all over the place this morning and he is just laying there while I was getting ready for work. He is very sensitive to food and very picky and for the past couple days just seemed to not want to eat the food.

I also just bought this bag in the end of June. The third dog seems unaffected at this point but after reading all this I am throwing it out and putting them back on 4Health. This is terrible and I pray they will be ok.

Original review: July 13, 2014

I purchase a large bag of Purina One Dog food at the end of June 2014. I purchased the food at South Bay Plaza, Target Boston, MA. I have a seven year old Lhasa. She has been eating Purina for 7 years, no problems. Well that soon changed. When I opened the new bag of food which was last week, after eating the food, 15 mins passed and my little dog vomited. I thought it was a one time incident but it was not. The dog became lethargic and would not eat. Again she finally ate after a day, then vomited again and again. She was not well. I thought she had a bug but then my dog would not go near the food. She refused to eat and started to lose weight. I gave her table foods with carrots for a couple days and she started to improve. I tried giving her the Purina and she wouldn't have any of it. I immediately threw out the food in the bowl and in her storage zip lock bag, I had two zip lock bags and I decided to save one for testing. I went out and purchased Iams and she ate it immediately. Something is going on here. I emailed Purina and called them. I am waiting to hear back. I expressed my concern in my call and email and gave them all the information where and when I purchased the food and what my little dog went through. I hope she is going to be OK. I'll keep a good eye on her.

Original review: July 11, 2014

I have given my pets Purina dog and cat food for years, and this last batch seem darker and my pets won't eat it, but after a day or two they do and throw up. I live on a very, very strict budget and I don't know how I am going to feed my 2 dogs and 1 cat this month. I'm on the verge of tears.

Original review: July 9, 2014

I have fed Purina cat food to my cats for 30 years, and never had a problem until the last year or so. My cats lived to be 15-20 years old, but I wouldn't feed it to my pets now if it was given to me. My cats and my dog started throwing up after eating it. One bag would seem ok, then the next would make them sick again. Their coats became dull and lifeless. After researching different pet food brands, I decided to try 4health from Tractor Supply Company. Both my cats & dog looked better after just one day on their grain-free food! I'm never going back to Purina.

Original review: July 4, 2014

My husband and I used Purina Products for over 20 years. We never had a problem with a dog getting sick or dying from the products. We also housed dogs for the local Humane Society, and used Purina products for those dogs. Never had a problem with them becoming sick or dying. Our dogs have always been in the best of health and have amazed the vets with their condition at ages that would normally be showing signs of ageing. I understand that not all dogs can eat the same food because of allergies and such, but to blame a particular brand of dog food for deaths and illnesses, implying something is being done to the product to make it that way, is just ridiculous. And in the case of multiple deaths with one family, I would suggest you look elsewhere than the food for the solution to your problem. Perhaps there is a cleaning product or such that they are getting access to. It's just not reasonable that every pet you have develops problems from the food. I have to suspect competitor finagling on this one.

Original review: June 28, 2014

I have two healthy Bull Terriers. Both can virtually eat just about anything and they never get sick. My white terrier has allergy problems with her skin from time to time so I try to give her more expensive "organic" types of food like Solvida. My black bully eats a local cheap brand made in Japan. Long story short, I ran out of it and purchased a bag of Purina ONE (chicken) from a local pet shop in Tokyo. The bag said "made in America" so I figured it would be OK. My white bully immediately became lethargic after two days and she had horrible, bloody diarrhea. I thought it was a virus but stopped giving her this product. She got better after I discontinued it. Thinking it was just a fluke, I then tried giving a bowl of it to my ultra healthy black bully and he vomited it immediately after ingesting it. Frankenfood this one!

Original review: June 17, 2014

I had been feeding my cats PP dry for months. My little guy Cocoa, 1 year old, passed away this past January. Before I realized what the likely culprit was (lymes) I blamed the food. I got him as a tiny babe. When he came here he had a tick latched on his ear. I removed it but along the way, months later he changed. I thought it was just that he hadn't been neutered yet. His energy, eating and drinking were normal. It wasn't until after he died that I figured out it was Lymes.

I switched my two girls to Authority but it caused my oldest to crash energy wise so I switched them back to PP. I read many horror stories about PP creating terror in me that it would kill them. If your pet does better on another food then maybe it was an allergy or an intolerance to one or more ingredients. I spoke to an employee at a vet clinic. She fed her boxer PP and he lived to be 16. Six years past a boxer lifespan. She feeds her cats PP and they're doing well. My vet highly recommends PP.

I read somewhere that people who do these reviews are paid to bash PP. I hope to God that's not true. I'm still in a lot of pain from my boy's illness and death. It's excruciating. I've needed a lot of sound guidance with my other two cats' diet because it's not a good idea to make such decisions alone in the midst of grief.

My girls love PP. They devour it. I'm not being paid to do this review. My pain and story are very real. One thing I don't understand is people bashing companies without medical proof that it was the food. I do understand that a loss will send pet parents to Googling their brains out for answers. I'm guilty of it myself. I don't want the true stories here to be real. I wouldn't wish a loss on anyone no matter the cause. If there is anyone here whose story isn't real....STOP!! Have a heart! No pet parent who has gone through a loss and is searching for answers deserves the fear you're instilling in them.

Original review: June 10, 2014

You said you switched to PURINA ONE, you have to stop now! Purina dog food makes dogs very sick with kidney and liver and will kill your dog from kidney/liver failure! I lost my 5 year old healthy miniature poodle austin about 3 years ago from Purina Beneful! I now feed my small dog only HALO dog food! If you feed your dog garbage food you will be going to your vet a lot but if you feed your dog good quality food just go to vet once a year for injections. Go to Halo dog food website there you will see locations. Enter your zip code to find out where you can buy Halo. You can order Halo online..

Original review: June 8, 2014

Purina puppy chow - People, I have read several of your issues about Purina. I have a 5 month old Pomeranian who suddenly became lethargic, having seizures so we started her on phenobarbital. She was so bad she couldn't even walk. We thought we were going to lose her but my vet put her on an antibiotic and she pulled through... IS THERE A WAY I CAN SUE PURINA BECAUSE I NOW HAVE AN 8 WEEK OLD SHIH TZU PUPPY WHO IS THE EXACT SAME WAY. PLEASE HELP.

Original review: June 3, 2014

I have used Purina products for many years and never thought it might be the cause of various problems I have encountered in recent years with my pets. Though our 2 Golden Retrievers had been raised on Eukanuba, it got to be too expensive with our suddenly limited income, so we switched them over to Purina foods, always a trusted brand. Later, in 2009, we found that our 8 yr old Golden had started developing cancerous tumors all over her body, and within a few months, she was dead.

I'm not saying Purina is the reason for that, but shortly after that, our other Golden started having seizures. The vet wasn't concerned, though, as the seizures weren't consistent enough, and said that we should just watch him. That was in 2010. Then In May 2011, he started having problems walking, tripping, having a hard time going up and down steps, not wanting to go out and play like normally. We took him to the vet and she said he had arthritis, and prescribed meds for that. About this same time, my most beloved cat started behaving oddly, hiding under the desk for several days and just not wanting to eat or move, but drinking a lot of water, and making a squeaking sound when I'd pick him up. After a couple of weeks, he bounced back and seemed fine.

But by the end of Nov, it started happening again, so I took him to the vet, thinking he might have diabetes or something that could be treated. She did tests and announced he was in severe kidney failure, with numbers off the chart, and she strongly suggested I put him down! He wasn't even 7 yet!!! That was Dec 1, 2011, one of the saddest days of my life. Then, about 2 weeks after that, we suddenly lost another cat to what appeared to be the same thing. He had also been behaving in ways not normal for him, and died a few days after this "off" behavior started. Then our Golden started getting worse. One day, in May 2012, we found that he was suddenly unable to use his hind legs. That's when we learned that it was probably DM, and he had to be put down about 3 wks after that, because he'd soon lost the use of his front legs, too.

In Feb 2013, another of our cats died suddenly, after displaying odd/off behavior, with seizures. We still didn't think that the cat food (Indoor formula) could be the culprit. Then last Sept, another of our cats had started the odd behavior of pooping wherever, instead of using the litter box, which she'd always used. When it started getting worse, I decided to switch to another cat food, thinking maybe an allergy or something, as she was almost 15. I also read about a product that might help her, so I purchased that, too. I switched over to Kit & Kaboodle, and she seemed to stop that behavior for awhile, and I relaxed. Then it started to get worse, becoming diarrhea, she started losing weight, and her fur looked awful, and then another of our cats started refusing to eat. So I switched back to the original food. The 15 yr old cat never improved, and died in April, still thinking it had had been because of her age.

The second cat was failing fast, and went from 18 lbs to about 12 lbs in a very short time, and was drinking a lot of water, too. We started doing research and reading about the problems with pet foods causing kidney problems, and the possibility of reversing the problem. So we sent for meds for her, but they came too late. She died in May. Over the past couple of days, I have noticed another of my cats has started to balk at the food. I was about to go purchase another bag today, but then decided, instead, to start making their food myself! Losing 5 cats and 2 dogs in less than 5 years seems more than coincidental to me. I thought I was feeding my babies healthy foods, but was I? If it is the foods causing these health issues, I'm surprised that the companies don't seem to care. It would seem to me that their profits will suffer because of all the deaths being attributed to them, and they would make every effort to get the food back to where it SHOULD be (even human compatible!) in order to keep the money coming in. They will be losing a lot as the word spreads with more and more pets being affected!

Original review: May 18, 2014

We have 3 dogs, two fifteen year old Jack Russels and a year old American bulldog puppy. When Rocky the American Bulldog puppy was about 9 months old in December 2013, we switched him and the other 2 dogs to Purina Healthy Morsels. The puppy had his 1 year checkup and shots on March 15, 2014. He weighed 91 lbs and was healthy. On March 30th, I purchased a new bag of Healthy Morsels from Martins Market in Cumberland, MD. Immediately my year old puppy began vomiting up all of his food and then vomiting yellow. He also had diarrhea with mucus and blood in it and had no appetite or energy and was drinking a lot. After 4 days of this I took him to the vet. He had lost 9 lbs and was very weak. He had x-rays to check for blockages and blood work, which showed high liver enzymes.

He was given 4 medications, including Pepcid and an antibiotic for intestinal disease and inflammation and put on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. The next day he was a little better. Finally on April 10th, he seemed better after changing to 4 Health grain free food from Tractor Supply. On April 20, ten days later, the same thing happened to my fifteen year old 20 lb Jack Russel, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drinking, peeing himself, lethargy and trouble breathing. He almost died. He was still eating the bag of Healthy Morsels. I threw the bag of food away, put him on the same diet as the other dog and after ten days he also began to pull out of it. I will never again feed my dogs Purina dog food.

Original review: May 13, 2014

In September of 2013, I found a worm in the bottom of a 16-lb bag of Indoor Delights from Purina Friskies cat food. I had not been able to catch my female who was still a kitten herself in between litters to get her fixed and so to have any adopted out with good homes, they all had to be fixed and obviously taken care of and in process of all this thought I was giving them healthy food from trusted name, but sadly found out differently through two of them urinating blood. Because of finding a worm in the "bottom" of the bag, of course I called to report, and to my surprise was immediately sent to lawyers.

I had stopped using their food for obvious reasons for a while, but as there really aren't too many options out there for low income families and the name Nestle Purina Friskies was supposedly a trusted name, or so I thought, until I did research online after the Father cat died and they had offered me a check for $100 without vet bills. I had run into people in the pet food aisle with same issues. Rufus, the father Cat had been an outside Cat, but when I made him stay in and only eat that food without the option of grass, he stopped being able to pass his stools apparently but I noticed it too late... He died due to a blockage, that can come up in no time, huge lump in his stomach that hadn't been an issue when he could regulate himself by eating grass from the outside.

That's when Sedgwick offered me a check. I fight disabilities myself and have several other pets and had not yet been able to reply to this, as I had also wanted to do some research and find out if other people were losing their babies due to this so-called "trusted" name. What I found horrified me AND Sammy, my Angel Boy became noticeably ill. He is a light hair colored Cat and they can naturally be more sensitive to things. He was urinating blood again. He'd stopped & so had the rest of them. I researched homeopathic cures for symptoms and spoke with someone who's been in the business of Pets/Supplies/Health that I've known almost 20 yrs...

Bottom line, as it was a Friday night and I had no way to even get to an emergency vet, he died in my arms Saturday morning... I had him frozen. I want an autopsy, and I want this company to be held responsible and quit quietly killing babies. I have also found out due to things like this occurring, some larger pet supply companies will no longer be selling any products that are not American made.

Original review: May 9, 2014

I never gave much thought to dog food or cat food until recently - we lost a Lab due to liver failure and I am convinced it was diet... I now only feed my Lab, Scottie and Ragdoll Kitties Blue Buffalo Wilderness... Great coats, no allergies and no vet bills! Wish I had learned the lesson many years ago!

Original review: May 8, 2014

I feed my cat your food caused her to go into liver failure. Vet said it was the gluten in your food. Cat had to be put to sleep because she went into seizures and went blind. Your food is the worst food on the market and you have the lowest rating of any cat food on the market. Independent lab did the testing. Now you are trying to sue Blue Buffalo because you are losing customers to them. My vet said Blue Buffalo is best food to feed cats because it contains no gluten in it. You are rated worst food on the market. I will never feed my cats your food again.

Original review: April 30, 2014

I have always fed my two cats the special Fancy Feast since they came out with them. We opened a box of Fancy Feast recently and fed the two of them Fancy Feast Primavera. Both cats have vomited the Turkey Primavera up. At the next meal, I fed them Gravy Lovers Beef with Gravy. Both cats have had diarrhea and been vomiting. I took them off the wet food and continued with a Royal Canin dry food to stabilize the digestion. Now both are barely nibbling. We have an appointment at the vet. Something has changed in the Fancy Feast recipes because it was more than one type and from two different boxes. I bought it at Pet Smart.

Original review: April 25, 2014

We have been giving our chocolate lab Purina brand dog foods for a long time. We recently bought a bag of Pro Plan Select Sensitive Skin & Stomach Dog Food from Petco. I've never been one to check my dog's food before feeding it to her and we have young kids who normally feed her. I noticed the week we opened a new bag of dog food, our lab started having really bad diarrhea. She was panting really hard, very dehydrated. Her activity was normal, still enjoyed going on walks and barking at things, so I watched her for a few days. I was ready to take her to the vet and just happened to feed her one day and noticed there were webby-looking things throughout the dog food. I took a few pieces out and they looked like little larva sacs. I never saw any bugs in her food just the sacs. I put two and two together and came to the conclusion that it had to be the dog food.

I called Petco and they told me to bring the food back in and they would give me a new bag. Due to the length of time that has passed and how much she has eaten, I asked her about bringing the dog in to be checked out. She told me that I needed to change the food out and give it a couple weeks before bringing her in, that it might not be the food. I thought that was a strange answer and called my vet who told me I should bring her in immediately. Unfortunate that a pet company who should care about your pets also really didn't care all that much after all. We have stopped buying Purina and will find a different brand to feed our dog.

Original review: April 25, 2014

MY Golden Retriever, not only ate the Waggin Train treats but also Beneful dog food which I see has led to many deaths. If it wasn't unbeknownst to me killing my beautiful dog with one, I was killing her with the other. How could a well-known company ignore all these deaths? I am still so saddened by all of this. Why won't they be accountable????

Original review: April 21, 2014

My sister started feeding her dog Pedigree food a month or two ago. Last week the dog started showing signs of malaise, not eating, and drinking a lot of water. Took the dog to the Vet and lab work done; showed no signs of diabetes or anything on initial tests. Took the dog home and she died that night. Vet thought it was from feeding Purina dog food.

Original review: April 8, 2014

For 11 years I fed my cats Royal Canin then I switched to Purina for a month. My cat started scratching around her head and in her ears til bleeding so bad I had to take her to the vet to get a shot. The vet said it's because she's having a bad food allergy. Then I told them I always fed her Royal Canin till a month ago I switched to purina...also my cat is sneezing like crazy. I switched back to royal canin and she's better. So after $100 vet bill and my cat suffering, never again will I feed them Purina!!

Original review: April 7, 2014

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast for about 6-9 months. My younger 14-yr-old cat eats most of the can with my 16-yr-old just eating about a teaspoon of it. In Oct/Nov my 14-yr-old started having seizures & falling down like she had been poisoned. Scared me to death & took her to the ER Univ Vet Hospital. They examined her & she wouldn't re-create what she had done at home. They couldn't find anything for a cause.

Forward to a month ago and she started again with seizures. Took her to my vet & had a full work up but showed she was healthy with weight & blood work. Vet told me to start watching her & keep track of amt & severity if they start again. This past Friday, 4/4, was horrific!!! Seizure after seizure some as close as 5 minutes apart. I decided to stop the canned food & gave her tuna instead & have done that for the past 3 days. Well, guess what, the seizures have almost completely stopped. My poor kitty is exhausted & dazed but by Sunday night she is almost back to normal.

I am so angry & upset that a pet food company has a product out there that would be that harmful to the very pets they are trusted to feed. I think the only reason my older cat didn't get sick is because she ate very little of it. No more Fancy Feast for my cats ever!!!!!

Original review: April 3, 2014

I too have had horrible luck with Purina, but just recently. I have always used Purina several years now. I have a small shelter and recently was slowly introducing the newer brand, Be Happy. They got very sick, vomiting constantly for days. I have a severe CH kitty and almost killed her!

Original review: April 3, 2014

My cats loved the Friskies Pate cat foods made by Purina at first. Then after about a week I noticed I was cleaning up vomit pretty often and one cat, the one that finally died, refusing to eat the food. I just thought he was sick. He never recovered. He died last night. Then today, I fed the remaining cat the same food they've both been eating for a while. He ate the full bowl this morning. Then found the remainder in the can and ate part of that. I found vomit again... He was hungry this evening and I tried to feed him the same food and he refused to eat it. I found another can that was not by Purina that the vet had given me. He ate that and so far no vomiting. There are sure a lot of people experiencing the same problems. Can we say 'Class Action'? Purina needs to pay for killing people's animals.

Original review: April 1, 2014

We were feeding our dog Ol' Roy brand and decided to try something different. We went with Purina 1. We noticed him throwing up, then out of nowhere he started having seizures. We took him to the vet, and they did a full work up on him. All his test were normal. The vet said he thought it was epilepsy. He told us to watch him and if he had more seizures, we should put him on Phenylbarbatol. He said once you start you can't stop them. We decided to try a different food. He has not had another seizure since changing. This in my eyes is not a coincidence. In checking reviews on Purina we too think they are killing our beloved pets. I won't ever use them again!!!

Original review: March 31, 2014

Sadly I learned of Pedigree's lack of concern for our pets after the death of my ten-year-old dog who died after eating this junk 11 days later after consumption. It seem there is nothing I can do about it. I would like to inform pet parents to stay clear of this garbage.

Original review: March 26, 2014

My cat has been on Purina indoor cat food for 10 years. I purchased a new bag from Walmart 2 weeks ago. After I opened the new bag, my puppy got into it and got deathly sick throwing up, loose stools. Took him to the vet and he had to be put on IVs and meds. I just figured the cat food made him sick because he was a puppy. Several days later, my 10-yr-old cat starting throwing up. After 2 days of her being sick, I took her to the vet. She has now been at the vet for 5 days and she's just now getting better. After several test, the vet agrees with me it is the cat food that made both my animals sick. My cat is now getting better and I might get to bring her home today. My purchase of a $5.00 cat food has cost me $600.00 in vet bills. I just want consumers to be aware of this brand of cat food and if your pet starts to get sick, pull it immediately and take them to the vet.

Original review: March 25, 2014

We have been buying the Purina Friskies Cat Food Shreds (mostly salmon and whitefish/sardine combos) for a long time. Several months ago the company started cheating the consumer by #1 not filling the cans to the top (about 1/4 inch low)… #2 the cans used to have solid meat but now is at least half water or close to it... and #3 Just a mention re: the pull off tabs on top - the under-lip is razor sharp. Have cut myself 2X, but am more careful now. Would rather they go back to can-opener tops for this reason. I cannot believe what the company is doing in regard to this. I did complain, but got a couple of coupons in the mail and no response to my complaint! Please investigate this. Thank you so much.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information