2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (979 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

I purchased 2 Purina Busy Bone Ultimate chews for my large dog. He really enjoyed them but what a mess they make. The package does tell you in small letters to "Feed on an easy to clean surface". I don't know of any easy clean surface they will work on. They make a paste that gets on everything, including the dog. I had to scrub his feet & legs where he held the bone, scrub my wood floor to get the paste off and wash my area rugs - and it still did not all come out. He is supposed to lay on a rug when he chews treats. The carpet sweeper would not get it out of the large area rug so it had to be shampooed. It turned dark rugs white. If this "bone" is this sticky what is it doing to the inside of my dog?? I have given him the medium and large Busy Bones without this problem, but the Ultimate is a mess and I will never buy another one. I will also be telling my friends not to get them. Good thing my dog has short hair - I'd hate to see a long haired dog when he got through with one of these Ultimate bones. I am throwing the second bone away.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

I have been feeding a neighbor's outdoor cats (neighbor moved 5 years ago, left 2 cats behind) for the past 5 years. I discovered that they would only eat Purina Cat Chow Complete... The owner would come by to visit her cats, and agreed that this was the only food Boris would eat. Everything was fine until Purina changed their formula. After I could no longer find the "original" formula, I was forced to try the "new" Purina Cat Chow Complete ("Same Great Taste New Kibble Blend"). My cats tried it once and then they all stopped eating it, as did the raccoons who would eat the old formula if I left it out overnight. I didn't realize my Cat, Boris, was ill from the food, I just noticed he started losing weight rapidly.

I tried feeding him canned food, and then the expensive refrigerated cat food, which he would eat, but clearly was sick, and still losing weight. He died a VERY slow and painful death on August 23... It was clear he was dying, and wanted to be inside... So I let him in. He was thirsty, but sooo weak, when he went to use the litter box, he was unable to get himself out of it. He eventually died, and had red foam around his lips....my guess is that he had internally hemorrhaged, and it was blood.

I have complained to Purina... I asked if they had any department that looked into consumer complaints... I was told that they did. He wanted my contact information, and I told him about this website, and that there were 764 complaints against Purina... I also asked him if they had a Dept. that did look into consumer complaints, how come they didn't know about this website. I told him to have their department check it out! The attached picture is Boris before he got sick.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2014

I have been purchasing Purina one Hairball Formula for cats for awhile and never had a problem. I ordered 2 bags from Walmart while I was here in North California at our Summer home. The cats (3) who normally like this food were reluctant to eat it. I left it out thinking they were just in a picky phase. They finally ate it and all got sick throwing up. My older cat had urinary difficulties for a week following the consumption of this food. She just could not go. They are indoor cats. They then refuse to eat it at all. It is as if something has changed in the food. I bought them another food and they are eating it and have recovered. I put another bowl of the Purina one hairball formula down to see how they responded and again they refused to eat it. Something is wrong with this food... Bar code # 17800-01262.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2014

We have been feeding Friskies wet food for over 10 years for all of our cats. We also feed a HIGH quality dry food the brand Solid Gold. The last year or so my cats have increasingly had problems with losing weight, vomiting, etc. At first we chalked it up to age, as one is 17 and the other one is 15. About three months ago the vomiting got severe, one of my cats suddenly became rail thin and he was losing hair on his back legs, and we thought he was going to die. I took him to the vet and they said he had pancreatitis. They gave us some vitamins and sent us home saying he might go into renal failure soon. They also mentioned some wet foods could cause a sudden imbalance, and it could be only certain flavors.

At first we only feed the Turkey shredded cheese flavor, seemed OK at first, but then the whole cycle started again. I took them completely off the wet food. It's been about a month and a half and the cat we thought that was going to die is suddenly gained weight, and he looks fabulous for a 17 year old cat. I need to mention we could not get him to TAKE the vitamins for the renal thing, so the ONLY thing I did was remove the Friskies. I am convinced that this was the culprit in the entire episode. Buyer beware, who knows what they add to this stuff.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2014

She had been making a terrible meowling noise I'd not ever heard her make in the ten years I've had her. She fell off the window sill the other day. I’d thought she just fell asleep but it wasn’t that. She had diminished motor control. Today I found her on the floor on her side making an in pain noise. I picked her up and put her on the bed and notice very little strength in her haunches and her claws were digging into the sheets like she had no control of them... Minutes later I thought "that damned dry food" and sure enough I found this forum... I was feeding her Purina One cat food (I was short on Wellness cat food for a little bit). I'm really pissed but convinced most pet food is unreliable… Next step is I’m hunting for her food if Wellness has problems.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2014

I found maggots in my cats' food today. This was horrifying. I tossed the food. Went online and searched maggots in Purina products. There are too many responses to list here. I called Purina and asked for a refund, not a coupon. We'll see what happens with that. I am now posting some websites on Facebook to let others know about this ongoing issue.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

I bought my 2 Golden Doodles Purina Pro Plan for the first time 3 weeks ago. My oldest is 2, youngest is 1. Both very healthy never been sick. I always bought expensive food for them and decided to try this to save a couple extra dollars. My 2 year old had a full blown seizure from eating this food. We rushed her to the vet and they drew blood and couldn't find anything wrong with her. I threw out the food and all the treats that were made by Purina and will never buy another product. The fact that I choose to save money only to have an expensive vet bill makes me sick!! Never again!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2014

My husband and I have been trying to find ways to help our dog, Abbey, with her allergies as she's been scratching a lot. We had been feeding her Pedigree and never had a problem with it. She absolutely loves it, but felt that we should look at a food that had the Omega Fatty Acids that would help with her skin as well. Today, we chose Purina with Lamb and Rice. What a bad choice that turned out to be.

Only an hour ago (it's just after midnight right now), she vomited her food. Of course, it was the mostly undigested Purina dog food. I have never seen her react to food in such a way before! I have now thrown out the brand new bag of dog food that only had one cup missing (as she ate it for dinner) and will NEVER BUY PURINA AGAIN. I will also be spreading the message that this food is unsafe for consumption by pet and, for that matter, probably people. This "food" was the only new thing introduced to my dog's diet and so it was easy to figure out where the problem lay.

WARNING: DO NOT BUY THIS OR ANY OTHER FOOD PRODUCT FOR YOUR PET MADE BY PURINA! The risk is not worth it! Purina does not care about your pet, only that you buy their product and line their pockets!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

I bought a kitten 3 weeks ago. She was strong and healthy. Week later she started laying around and looking sick. Came home she was dead. Just bought another kitten. Now he is throwing up and pooping himself. Did not know it was the food until now.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

Purina kitten chow killed one of my kittens and the next is dying. First kitten died in 2 weeks. He started sleeping a lot, not moving or responding then died in two days. Second kitten is doing the same but is starting to vomit, just laying there moaning. Watching my second kitten died. Brought it from Target. Do not buy this product.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

On September 12 Friday night my cat ate Kit & Kaboodle. The next morning September 13 we found him dead on the living room floor. Puke everywhere, his mouth was open, his front teeth were missing, his eyes were open, and a bloody tear came out of his eye. He ate nothing else that night. He isn't allergic to it, he was as healthy as could be and his shots are all updated and he didn't need them for another 2 years... We called Purina and said they would send us a bag to test the food and a paper to make out a consultation. The next day their lawyer or the person who offers the money for killing your animal says all he can give is $500... This is ridiculous. You killed MY cat and you think that's all he's worth?? I don't think so. This is going on every news possible cause I don't want any more animals dying! These people don't give two craps about our animals! PLEASE ANYONE READING THIS IF YOUR ANIMAL DIED FROM KIT & KABOODLE OR ANY PURINA FOOD STAND UP AND GO TO THE NEWS WITH IT OR EMAIL ME SO I CAN GET MORE PEOPLE TO SHOW THIS ISN'T A JOKE!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

I bought several bags of Purina pro-plan dog food and found worms in each and every bag!! All the company said was they will send me coupons for free bag. Wtf!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2014

For the last few years I have been feeding my cats Purina's Kit & Kaboodle dry cat food. On September 5th I came home from work to find one of my outdoor cats dead in my yard. The next morning I found a second dead in my yard & the third outdoor cat was on my back porch barely alive. (A week prior my dog had seizures. Keep this in mind. A habitual cat food thief). I assumed someone was poisoning my animals. Took one cat to the shelter. They said it sounded like poisoning. Took him then to the vet who said it sounded like poisoning.

I even filed a police report! THEN my indoor cats started getting sick & dying. 3 days ago, as another cat was dying, he went to the vet. Had some shots, he was ok for a couple minutes but then died. Renal failure due to an ingested poison. I put 2+2 together & went and purchased a different brand of cat food that night. All of my other cats except 2 are sick & dying & won't touch the food. 10 dead cats in 9 days. As I type this my son is crying, holding his dying cat. The only common factor between my outdoor cats, my indoor cats & my dog is Purina Kit & Kaboodle. The dog hasn't had a seizure since, but hadn't touched the cat food after the seizures, only her own food. She also developed large spots on her coat where the fur was thinned and felt almost burnt. They seem to be getting better now that she's sticking to her own food, & the Kit & Kaboodle is no longer accessible to ANY pets.

I've long thrown out the bag as I keep their food in a dry food bin, so I don't have the lot number or whatever...But I've been calling and have yet to speak to an actual person. I will try again come morning. I WILL be having this food tested for contaminants. 10 cats in 9 days??? 7 of whom are strictly indoor cats? 3 of whom strictly outside cats?? A cat food thieving dog with seizures? More than mere coincidence! I wish I had realized it was the food sooner & hadn't continued to feed it to them for a week after the first deaths. What the hell is in that food??? Purina has crushed my family!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

I'm very worried this a.m. Last night my first cat (Jesus) threw up after eating combo of dry Purina One and Salmon Pate... Late in the night the second cat spent nearly twenty mins before he could quit throwing up. Same mixture of food. This a.m. my third cat ate two bites of the salmon pate and immediately began throwing up. The first two, I didn't notice was immediately, but by the third, I was standing there. The third cat doesn't eat dry food... but he did take a few bites of the dry as it was new, and possibly smelled appetizing?

The second cat is still sickly acting... but he did drink some water out of the faucet about half hour ago. He had stayed pitifully curled up to me all night. The first one seems to have recovered.... has just eaten. Second and third are uncomfortable. I'll withdraw food all night, then begin feeding new foods. I'm terrified!!! My third cat was poisoned in 2006 or 07, but we saved his life $2400 later.

I'm just sick to think there is going to be a recall... or something is so wrong. Food delivered from Amazon... but it's not hot out to increase chance of spoilage in trucks. I'm going to have positive thoughts for now... please others let me know. Cats Cisco, Jesus and Joaquin. Joaquin seems uncomfortable and I can hear his breathing. Jesus appears much better. Cisco not eating, but no unusual breathing.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

Honestly, I should have written this a long time ago. A few years ago we were feeding all four of our cats Purina One Sensitive Systems. We had stepped away from Purina in 2007 when some dry food made our cats sick, and then we heard about the melamine issue, but no Purina was recalled. We didn't trust that and went to a different brand of food, but when that other brand stopped making a sensitive stomach version, we were forced to go back to Purina One -- one of our cats has had intestinal issues for years and Sensitive Systems was the only kibble we could find that sat well with him.

So we used Purina One Sensitive Systems from 2009 to August of 2010 when we opened a new bag and all four cats immediately vomited up the food. I noticed the food had an odd appearance, darker than the kibble usually was and less smooth. We opened a different bag and that was fine. We thought just one bag had gone bad -- our grocery store seems to have some issues with storage at times -- so we bought a new bag of Purina One at a Walmart. The cats all got sick again, one of them vomiting up blood. We took him to the vet and they said it had to have been the food. We compared the production codes and realized the bags with one certain production code were bad. It didn't matter what store we went to - if they had bags from that production run, those bags had rotten food in them.

When I called the grocery store, the manager told me they had tons of complaints and had removed the cat food, and were returning it to Purina. But then in October, they quietly put the bad food back on the shelves. (We had kept buying it while looking for another sensitive stomach kibble in a different brand that our one cat could tolerate. It took about three months but we finally found one, thankfully.) Walmart told us they only had a couple of complaints and apparently didn't get much of the bad batch of food and we never saw it there again.

When I called Purina, the woman on the phone absolutely refused to do anything. She would not take my name, would not write down my complaint, would not take the production code number I tried to give her. "I won't be writing ANY of that down," she said. "Purina foods have never had any problems." She literally called me a liar and finally offered me some coupons. I didn't want coupons but if she would take my name and report what had happened, that would be great. She refused. I wrote them with a copy of the production code, but heard nothing back.

I wrote a review on a website and Purina complained in a response, then the website deleted my review. I cannot tell you what was wrong with this cat food, only that observation and the comments from a vet indicated the food was the problem, and that Purina had absolutely no interest in dealing with the situation, only in covering their hinders. I personally would not trust this company to feed my pets.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2014

I purchased this from Publix and mixed it in with her food, which was also dry and very little left. The next day, I totally cleaned out her feeder, and put only your brand in the feeder (yes, I washed the feeder, too). She started gagging that night, and puked. The next day she was projectiling her food! Three times that day!! She continued this until I realized it must have been the food! This stuff is BAD!! Can you envision sitting on the couch with your cat and she projectiles (non-digested) indoor delights? They were anything but!! DO not feed this to your cat!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2014

What a mess Purina is getting their self into. I am so disgusted. It's a long story... with them changing their formulas and packing. When I was waiting for the new BEYOND PACKAGING to hit the shelves, I had to get California Gold lamb and rice... I was so surprised and very happy the pups took right to it.. At first before the new food I had been giving them Benadryl for the itches... thinking it was grass allergies. When I changed to the food... after a week the itching stopped. So I stop the meds. For over a month no itching. Now I have no more CALIFORNIA GOLD. I purchased the NEW BEYOND LAMB AND RICE>> After 4 days the pups are scratching terrible. They can't enjoy their walk. Every few steps they scratch. So now I am back to square one... Purina food and meds. California Gold is not sold where we are. Lost in a world of itching and disgust...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

I bought purina alpo prime cuts. It has made my dog sick for days. Diarrhea, her breath stinks. How I figured out what made her sick, the way the can of food smelled. And now my dog is pickled with that nasty smell. My poor baby girl.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

I purchased a medium bag of Purina smart food and when I opened the bag a slew of small moths came flying out of the bag. I am afraid to use the food as I'm not sure what will happen to my dogs. The food has no foul or spoiled smell to it. Haven't discarded the food yet. What do I do besides throw the food away?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2014

I am so angry with Purina one. This is supposed to be and advertised as great complete dry cat food. I have used Iams in the past and decided to give this food a try as it was on discount in my local Sainsburys. What a big mistake I made. I added Purina One gradually over 7 days. As I was still using an alternative brand I did not notice anything was wrong. When I started feeding only Purina One, my God the difference the poop was soft smelly and had blood in it. Never has my cat who is a healthy 5 yr old EVER poop blood! In fact my cat has never been ill and I don't take him to the vet except for yearly vaccinations. He is also an indoor cat. This is all down to Purina One. I also bought a big bag and am now stuck with it as I cannot return it. I have also had to spend more money buying another big bag of Iams. Never ever again will I buy Purina One. Please do not buy this brand.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

We have used Friskies for many years. However, over the past few months, I have found that some of the cans consistently fail to open properly. A section near the tab will not tear which requires manual removal. Use pliers or a heavy cloth, you will cut yourself. Even on cans that seem to open properly, there is often a razor sharp edge around the inside top. I have cut myself despite being careful. Rinsing the cans for recycle and later placing them in the bin has been a bloody experience. I can only hope that this defect is corrected before someone is more seriously hurt.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

So I bought a net bag of Purina kitten chow from Target last week and have notice a weird behavior with my kitten. For one, she is excited when she hears the bag of food (like usual) as if she hasn't eaten in months but when I put the food down, she sniffs it and immediately starts to drink from her water bowl instead. With that when she does eat it I noticed the other day her licking up her throw up (that was a first). I thought maybe she had just ate too fast and ran too soon afterwards. But last night after she ate just a little bit of food, she started making gagging sounds. I then took her to my kitchen floor where it would be easier to clean up if she did throw up but I just sat there with her and watching and petting her to somewhat relax her and she was fine but did not return to eat the rest of her food even the next day. Tonight, she did the same thing so I decided to check the web to see if it was just my kitten or a reoccurring situation among others. Gratefully I found this board and will be purchasing new food tomorrow. Whatever you guys are putting in your food, I urge you to stop before someone's cat become violently ill.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

My dog is sick and has severe diarrhea from the cookies and chicken meal. I do not trust their products. The poor dog has a dry nose and I am feeding her rice and boiled beef to get her better. Do not buy their food and if something happens to my dog, I will sue Purina.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2014

I have two cats, ages one and eight years old. I have always fed them Purina Cat Chow with no problems. Recently, I bought a new bag. I believe it said on the bag that the formula had changed slightly. In the few days that I have been feeding the new food to my cats, both of them have vomited multiple times daily. These are normally healthy cats who never vomit. Curious as to whether or not others had had the same issue with Purina, I went online and sure enough, there are multiple complaints about Purina suddenly making cats sick. I hope more people complain so that Purina is forced to fix the problem. Obviously there is something terribly wrong with the current formula. (Aren't they supposed to test it before putting it on the market?) They should not be allowed to profit from it. I no longer trust this brand and will no longer feed it to my cats.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2014

I'm not going to waste time giving all the details but to make a long story short, my mom's cat died 2 days ago. She was healthy and started turning away from her Friskies chicken cuts in the can. My mom gave the entire box to me for my cat and got her cat the patte by Friskies instead. Within a week her cat lost a ton of weight, developed fluid in chest, couldn't breathe and died. It happened fast, with symptoms showing within days. My cat has since gotten eye irritation and been puking constantly. Switched to Purina dry and mixed wet Friskies and no better. If my cat dies so help me I'll make it my personal mission to RUIN PURINA, AND DON'T THINK I'M KIDDING. I WILL DESTROY THEIR SALES. ** YOU FDA FOR ALLOWING THIS, AND ** YOU CHINA AND ** YOU PURINA!!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

I purchased Purina T-Bonz for my Puggle dog a couple of weeks ago. I thought they would be a nice reward for good behavior. The first time I broke one up and the next day he vomited red stuff and a couple of small chunks. I figured he got into something odd. I didn't give them to him again for about a week. When I did again, I broke them up into smaller pieces and later he vomited red and brought up small chunks. I am totally convinced there is something wrong with this product. Maybe in the dye they use to give it that steak color.

Here I thought I was rewarding my dog for good behavior, when in actuality I was making him ill. I'm sorry - I threw the bag away, putting them in his treat jar, as I am on social security and they were expensive, but I felt nothing is too good for my dog! Was I wrong. Now my whole apartment smells of dog vomit and my little friend just wants to sleep. I am heartbroken, that I caused this to happen. Shame on Purina for making my dog get sick.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2014

We have fed our 2 cats the Purina One Complete dry food for over a year without issue until recently- we bought a bag a couple weeks ago that had some changes to the food and now all 3 of our cats (1 is a new addition) are throwing up!! We are switching to a new grain free brand and will never feed Purina to our pets again!!!! Hoping the new feed will help our kitties feel better soon.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2014

We have been feeding pro plan to our Labradors for years. Our older lab has been eating the weight management food but over the last 12 months we have had bugs, larvae and moths in the sealed bags. We have returned multiple bags but this week's incident was the last time we will buy this food. The sealed bag was alive inside. Full of bugs and moths, awful and disgusting. The execs of purina should be required to sit in front of a bowl of this trashy food. Our other lab eats the salmon and rice sensitive skin and stomach pro plan but we have not experienced any bugs in that food.

Original review: July 28, 2014

I have been feeding the neighbor's collection of abandoned cats periodically over the past year or so and stopped feeding Friskies and now Fancy Feast when I noticed symmetrical CLUSTERS of fly eggs in fresh cans. I have MUCH more to tell...

Original review: July 27, 2014

I have bought Pro Plan dry dog food and now several times had found flying moths and larva in each bag from different stores. I thought I was seeing things but the food is stored in airtight containers. My dogs have been recently sick with diarrhea and vomiting; after reading others' complaints now I know the cause. I will NOT be buying Purina dog food anytime soon! So glad you have this web site to read others have found this problem too. Thank you. Hope I can save other pets from this horrible problem. Disgusting and poor regulations within the company!!!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information