2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (773 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula - I have given my cat Purina for years. Never had an issue and then all of a sudden my poor girl was having bladder issues and blood in her urine along with constantly throwing up. I was extremely worried and ended up taking her to the Vet. She ended up staying in the clinic for 10 days under constant observation. She is now on a special diet but much better!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I regularly buy Purina Cat Chow Complete for my cat; the cat picks at it, but my dog eats it daily along with his own food. Last night my dog started vomiting and it continued in the morning where he was throwing up yellow vomit. He seemed a little off, when we went for our daily walk. He seemed Ok when I left for work today, but now I'm in a panic because I left a bowl of cat chow out where the dog/cat could eat it. I will definitely stop feeding this product and will contact Purina for reimbursement of their food. I think Purina Cat Chow Complete should be recalled and owners should be reimbursed for the product and any related veterinary care should their animal become sick or worse case scenario if the animal dies. The media should broadcast these issues ASAP to protect any other pets from becoming sick.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I just noticed a few people noting that their new kittens died within a few days. Please make sure to take them to the vet within 24 hrs of bringing them home. The symptoms sound more like worms than food. If the kittens have not been de-wormed they absolutely need to be as most kittens get worms if the mom is an outdoor cat. These worms can be passed to other cats and yes to you. I personally haven't had any problems with Purina - my cats eat Healthy Naturals and my dog is on Pro Plan puppy.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

My vets office ran out of the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal food that I usually feed my 2 Westies and stated that the Purina EN food was just as good. I purchased a 32 lb bag for them at the cost of 81.00 and they seemed to like it at first. I noticed that my older Westie developed severe diarrhea & vomiting and was also very lethargic and couldn't seem to snap out of it. After 4 vet visits, lots of dollars, she seems to be back on the road to recovery. Thank goodness my other Westie only had an upset tummy with no diarrhea or vomiting. I will never ever again feed them a Purina product and so glad that it wasn't any worse.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Bought a bag of Purina kitten chow. Our 4 month old kitten has eaten it for approx 4 days. He is a indoor cat only. He has vomited several times, one with bright red blood. Now he does not want to eat.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

Purina Cat Chow new formula with kibbles - I tried this on all seven of my cats. I'll be going to vomit. I contacted Purina via their website and someone was supposed to call me back within 48 hours. No one did. My cats had been on Purina Cat Chow for almost 15 years until they change the formula. It is too bad they ruined a good thing.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2014

I bought my cat a new bag of Purina cat chow indoor formula last night. 20 minutes after feeding him from the new bag he was vomiting blood, foaming at the mouth, voiding his bladder and thrashing around the house. We left for the vet within minutes but it didn't matter. He died in my daughter's arms on the way to the vet. It was only after I got home and calmed down a little, I kept saying to myself, “He was fine, I just fed him. He was fine, I JUST FED HIM...” That's when I started looking online and found NUMEROUS recent stories that all read the same as mine, about the same cat food all within the last week. What the hell is this?? My cat is dead!! You'd think they would have pulled it after the first few pets have died.

I am a veterinary technician and I have never seen anything like this before. It was the worst thing I've ever had to witness. When I got home with our boy I took blood and saliva samples to have tested. A VERY good friend of mine is a chemist so I will be having the food and the bag itself analyzed. Purina better PRAY this was an incredibly large coincidence because I will go to the ends of the earth to get justice for my cat. He was part of our family and this won't be taken lightly!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

Be Fair, with 700 complaints that I did not know till today I bought a bag of your Friskies Seafood Sensations and my cat puked.. My Neighborhood Stray cat I feed, puked.. What is in your Cat food that makes a lot of Cats throw up this food? There is something Terribly wrong with this Food. I won’t stop here until the right people know. Does your CEO know of this problem? I don’t get it, I buy the boxed Purina Cat Chow Complete with No Problems. This is the second time my cat has got sick. You should take it off the market, something is WRONG here.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

I have two cats that started projectile vomiting after eating this food. It has gone on for 24 hours and I am not observing them to see if they need to go to the vet. They do not eat treats or any type of human food. I live alone and there aren't any poisons in the house, such as bug spray, powders, etc. My cats became severely sick, vomiting about 20 times yesterday. I thought it was a virus and took away food for remainder of day yesterday. This morning, I fed them a small amount and within 15 minutes it started again. This is the first time I have tried this food. I went back to the store and bought IAMS to see if they can hold it down. If they continue to vomit today we are off to the vet. I checked the FDA recalls and did not see this brand on the list. Please comment if you are also having issues with this brand of cat food.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I have four healthy cats living in a house age 2-5 years. All four of them start throwing up right after consuming dry cat food Beyond by Purina - white meat chicken & whole oat meal recipe. My sister's cat does the same after being introduced to the same food.

Resolution response: March 19, 2015

I didn't need a response from Purina. I think their food is great for my pets.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2014

I never had any problems with any purina products I've fed my pets. My cat was raised on purina kitten and cat chow her whole life. She lived to 20 years of age with not one health problem. My dogs ate Purina Pro Plan and never got sick. I have 3 cats, a kitten and a 90 lbs dog. The cats eat purina one and fancy feast, my dog eats only purina one or purina pro plan. They are all so healthy. Never have we had worms or vomit or diarrhea. I think you are changing the diets too quickly causing vomiting and diarrhea. Animals can have other issues to cause death and everyone is so quick to blame the food. Purina has been around forever. The feed is made in the United States so you can trust it. My pets are purina pets for life.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I been feeding my indoor cats and my outdoor TNR cats friskies wet food and dry food for years. They are healthy, energetic, happy, satisfied, spunky and playful. Nice fur. I have a rescue cat who is overweight switched her to special diet/senior diet friskies diet wet food and she's dropping weight but feeling better and playful again. I have bought cat chow complete a few times and I have noticed my outdoor cats was throwing up on it so I don't buy it anymore. Both of my indoor and outdoor cats were starting to have strong urine so my vet told me to put water in their wet food and haven't had the problem since and they never developed stones or death from the foods.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

To the consumers that have made complaint regarding Purina, these issues are NOT new!!! We lost 2 beloved Brittanies 6 weeks apart in 2012, after a formula change to their Purina Pro Plan diet. You can type in Purina or Purina Pro Plan 2012 in the search box, or probably any other year and see a multitude of complaints. My original posts were on 2/13/2012 & 3/13/2012. Sadly, it is not only Purina but most every kibble on the market. We fed a partial raw diet to our surviving pets & new adoptions, using Honest Kitchen for a few months, with success. We switched to a prey model raw diet, which they continue to thrive on. For a good kibble, I suggest FROMM.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

I have been feeding my cat Purina One for sensitive systems for the past 2 years. I noticed he was always throwing up after he ate. I thought maybe he would just eat to fast. Then I ran into people who had the same problem. We noticed we were using the same food. Do not buy Purina for your cat!!! It will make your cat sick!!! They should recall it and be fined!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

Our 7 year old, healthy male Chow always ate the Natures Formula Lamb and Rice from Menards. One day I purchased a 40 lb bag of Purina Complete Dog Food just to add a little variety to his diet. After he had consumed approximately 1/3 of the bag, he died unexpectedly 7/22/14. The Vet thought he died from either a ruptured Angioma on his Liver or Spleen. They tapped his peritoneal cavity and it was pure blood. I kept the left over food and was going to donate it to the Humane Society, but gave it to my sister instead. The food had been stored outside in a covered Metal Trash can on our deck in the original bag so it had never been wet. I have kept all of our dog food in this manner for years and have never had any issues.

My sister fed her little Terrier mix some of the food for the first time 10-31-14. Her dog began to shiver uncontrollably, was unable to stand up and ended up having a seizure. They rushed her to the Vet where they gave her IV fluids and oral Charcoal to rid her of the food. She was in bad shape and the Vet was unsure she would survive the night. She did survive and the Vet told my sister the food was tainted as that is the only cause for the dogs severe medical emergency. I now wonder if the food caused the early death of our beloved 7 year old healthy male Chow Chow. I am sick to think I possibly killed our dog and nearly killed my sisters dog by giving them Purina Complete Dog Food! I will never buy another Purina product...EVER! If you love your pets...stay away from Purina products.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

Ok people contact me. This is serious. My cat never ate Purina Cat Chow because it's expensive. But my Brother brought it for my Cats. I notice both Cat health is failing like losing weight, throwing up all over the place, not acting the same, falling down stair and so much more since I been feeding them Purina Cat Chow. Indoor Purina Cat Chow were it says help with Hair Ball etc....

How dare Purina Pet Food company not notice this in their research or tests. I am so angry, mad. If anybody starts law suit, email me Please. I feel there has to be something done with this Purina Company. This company has been around for years. I'm Demanding an Investigation now and I will start with Complaining to the Better Business Bureau (BBB). If anybody have any advice who I can complain to and sign any kind of Petition, Please email me: **.

The number on this Purina Cat Chow Food says Best By Feb 2016 (42251086 1622L03). Also on the Purina Bag the sticker says Purina Cat Chow Indoor S434139 00001780013416 (743) 703358613 091214 136. I will Save this Purina Cat Chow Bag for Evidence with food in it. I know where it was brought but brother has no receipt. But I have sticker maybe with store number or company number. My 2 cats will never be the same now. I have decided to research and see who else is complaining because the Clues I been seeing since Purina Cat Chow has entered my Home.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

I have a boxer and a cat. I have been feeding both Purina. Dog has been sick several times. I thought it might be the tinned food that I mix with it was too cold. Maybe it was the food. Cat has been making cough sounds. I thought he was coughing because of hairball - never saw one. Sounds like we have caught the problem just in time.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

We have had both of our dogs for a year now and both constantly had "goop" in their eyes. One day they would have the runs and the next day would be normal. Never had such a problem with previous dogs and when I commented to our vet they actually mentioned Purina One Smart Blend For Dogs (Sensitive Stomach). No more runny eyes and bowel movements are now normal.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

I purchased the large bag of Purina Cat Chow Complete. Says it is new shape same taste. My cat became very sick and started vomiting after feeding for a couple of days. I gave it to my daughter thinking it was just my cat but her cat became sick and started vomiting also. I am going to throw it away - but I thought someone should be aware of it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

I bought Purina's Beyond simply 9 for the first time 2 weeks ago. I went on vacation last week and my pet sitter started feeding that food because it was the newest bag. My dog has been sick for a few days now and today we went to the vet. $230 later it was determined that he got "into" something. The ONLY thing different here is the dog food.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

I feed my healthy 16 year old Persian Purina Naturals dry cat food with Friskies canned food which I purchase in a 32 can box. Have feed without problems in the past. Yesterday when I opened the can of beef shreds, it was gray on top with an unpleasant odor. It came from the middle of the carton - wasn't dented, opened normally. So can find no explanation for the problem. There were no consequences. But because I am elderly and disabled frequently my grandchildren feed the cat. What then would be the consequences?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

My cat was given a bowl of salmon pate. My daughter heard a crunch sound and the cat refused to eat. Blood came out of her mouth. She wasn't able to walk or move. She threw up and couldn't move out of the vomit. She was paralyzed and died soon after. She was in perfect form before she ate. My heart and my kids will never be the same. You are putting hazardous products in your food to feed our pets. These products are even harmful to the environment. You know this and have made profit from death and misery! We demand changes and compensation. I have contacted local media who are aware of this and the truth will always stand. Sincerely Heartbroken.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

On Friday I bought a case of friskies from Costco, decided to change from my usual brand to try and save money, big mistake. On the 3rd day of feeding one of my cats has started throwing up. Needless to say I stopped feeding this immediately because this is the only thing that has changed in his routine. However he is still throwing up every time after he eats. Hoping once I get him back on the regular food he will go back to normal. Purina friskies you suck **!!! I will never buy another Purina product.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2014

As I was feeding my dog her lunch today, I noticed worm looking type critters in a web/cocoon looking thing! They had made their nests inside her Purina One, Lamb and Rice!!! I called the company and the woman I spoke with says it's normal and they will send me a voucher to purchase a new bag! This is not normal! I've owned dogs for the past 20 years and never once have I seen bugs in any dry foods. The woman proceeded to tell me that it could come from shipping or from the stores. She also said no matter what type of container I put my dogs' food in, they can gain entry.... so even if I store it in a sealed tight heavy plastic container... they can get in? Hard to believe. The woman was very quick to have a reply and was very cold.

I asked if my dog could get sick from these bugs and she said just some diarrhea and vomiting. As I started thinking about it, I realized, ever since I switched her food to Purina, she's had vomiting and diarrhea on several occasions. The only reason I switched was because her brand I'd had her on for 6 years is now a 40 minute drive one way. Purina can keep their bugs and their voucher, I'm never buying their products again!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I purchased Purina Pro Plan Puppy Food and stored it in airtight containers. Soon, there were flies escaping. Upon closer examination, the flies had been living in the food and breeding in the crevices of the containers. I found larvae all around the top and as I poured the food in the trash, over a dozen flies flew out. That was absolutely disgusting and unacceptable. I had never heard of such a thing and I wish I could have prevented that.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

Bought two bags. Purina cat food both bags filled with bugs. Are there any recalls on the bags of cat food at the present time?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

Purina Kitten Chow - Wish I had looked here before kitten #2 died after eating this stuff. We got one kitten in June and in early August he got sick, laying around, not eating and died. We got two kittens in September and one kitten died this week. Both were about 12 weeks old. So kitten number 3, who is also about 12 weeks old will not be fed this kitten food ever again. I contacted Purina, let's see if they respond.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

Purina dog chow complete - Repeated throwing up, my 8-month old 1,200 dollar pitbull terrier is sick, and thinking I could go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheaper brand until i got paid, was a bad Idea! I go online to public media, what do i find? a Facebook page saying Purina is killing my dog!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2014

I have always feed my dogs Pedigree canned dog food in with their dry dog food. Last night I open two cans of Pedigree canned food and the meat inside was blood red and there were maggots crawling all over the inside of the can. I quickly closed the two cans up and got rid of them. I still have four cans left that I will return to the store. The flavor was combo with chicken, beef and bacon. I will never have any Pedigree product in my house again. My Shelty kept getting sick every night and I couldn't out why. I guess I know now. Thanks Purina for making my dog sick and making such good sicking dog food.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

I purchased 2 Purina Busy Bone Ultimate chews for my large dog. He really enjoyed them but what a mess they make. The package does tell you in small letters to "Feed on an easy to clean surface". I don't know of any easy clean surface they will work on. They make a paste that gets on everything, including the dog. I had to scrub his feet & legs where he held the bone, scrub my wood floor to get the paste off and wash my area rugs - and it still did not all come out. He is supposed to lay on a rug when he chews treats. The carpet sweeper would not get it out of the large area rug so it had to be shampooed. It turned dark rugs white. If this "bone" is this sticky what is it doing to the inside of my dog?? I have given him the medium and large Busy Bones without this problem, but the Ultimate is a mess and I will never buy another one. I will also be telling my friends not to get them. Good thing my dog has short hair - I'd hate to see a long haired dog when he got through with one of these Ultimate bones. I am throwing the second bone away.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information