Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

It is 4am and I was woken up by the sound of my baby vomiting. I have been cleaning vomit and diarrhea for an hour. My cat is my 1st baby. She is indoor, never having to be exposed to many threats. For almost a year now she has had bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. They are not regular, but at least once a month she trails it through my house. I have taken her to the Dr. at least 4x (can't afford). They can't find anything wrong. After tonight's huge pile of vomit consisting of dry food and mucus, it started to dawn on me. She has been eating Fancy Feast and Purina gentle dry. I'm both thankful and horrified that I found this site. I've been making my baby sick.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Our son's kitten became lethargic, is barely drinking water, anything that goes down with a dropper comes back up. No diarrhea because nothing has stayed down. She had Purina Fancy Feast kitten food. I have to give one star. I wish I could add none.

Original review: July 28, 2019

We recently started feeding our 2 female dogs Purina Pro Plan Savor Shredded Beef and Rice and one of them has been extremely sick (vomiting, constipated, drinking lots of water but struggling to urinate) for the past 3 days while the other dog is starting to show the same symptoms. Our vet took an X-ray of the stomach and found lots of gas and kibble trapped in the intestines.

Original review: July 28, 2019

Fed Purina ONE dry dog food to my 2 dogs last week, after switching from another brand, just thought for once I’d take advantage of a sale. Had fed purina one to a previous dog years ago and she had no issues, it was always the go-to decent but not too expensive food. Never any issues so I thought nothing of it. Boy, was I wrong! Fed both my pit bull and my Doberman on day one, the Doberman smelled the food and hesitated to eat, but did. By the end of that day he had diarrhea. The next morning I awoke to find a couple puddles of vomit and clearly it was the food in the vomit. Some completely undigested stuff too. By the end of that day he was lethargic, and just hovered over his water bowl, only sipping water.

The next day, he started trying to hide, and just dragged himself when he walked, like a limp noodle, he refused to eat and barely drank or sipped anything, but he kept trying. He had thrown up again that morning twice, then by the end of the night, a few more times, each time being more pungent and foul smelling. It seemed even though he wouldn’t eat, there was still pieces of food undigested from that first feeding of purina one.

The next day, was more vomiting and he couldn’t even get up to vomit, just threw up on his front paws. He hadn’t even pooped since his initial diarrhea. He would throw up just minutes after even a few sips of water every time he tried. He could barely walk. I was cooking dinner then heard a thump and he just collapsed in the bathroom doorway. I helped him back to a comfortable sleeping spot, bundled him with blankets and spooned little spoons of water into his mouth, he tried and swallowed, only to throw up. He got to the point he wouldn’t take in anymore, and I stayed with him long as I could then went to bed. I awoke just hours later after a nap, to find him passed away.

The pit bull threw up after a few feedings, normal color, etc., but after continuing on purina one, just 4 days after his friend passed away, he threw up the familiar color and smell of vomit that the Doberman displayed. The pit bull didn’t seem to even want to get up to be sick. With the similar symptoms being displayed, in throwing the bag of purina one in the trash, as it is too coincidental not to be the culprit. I’m pretty sure my pit bull will be ok as long as he doesn’t eat any more purina poison. I suspect a toxin that takes time to purge, and pets who have eaten much of the food, or are already weakened due to age or existing illness may be more susceptible to succumbing to a horrible death of wasting away. Just a theory.

Purina needs to get their act together and recall the pet food. It is traumatizing as owners to go through watching our family members go through this, and has got to be causing pets pain and suffering. I will never buy purina products again and will opt for more expensive food if that’s what I have to do. Thanks to purina, I’ve lost my best friend, a beautiful Doberman who I rescued and promised a better life. My pit bull should be fine but there’s no way in hell I’m giving him your poison food!

Original review: July 15, 2019

I am a veterinarian who has battled with the Purina Pet food company for 2 years now. They offer shipping, but can't ever seem to get it right. So I have to ask: If you constantly make mistakes with your orders, how can I expect you can make pet food without mistakes? Hmmmm. As soon as I asked that question, Sandy **, a so-called manager just told me to go buy food somewhere else. And that is exactly what I will do! BaBye Purina.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: July 13, 2019

I just change from Iams to Purina One, wanted to try it because there were no Iams left... I did the change gradually like they recommend so the first week was half and half, the second week was only Purina One and that is when she started refusing to eat and it is not her style. She always had a good appetite, and then she started to hide more which was unusual because she likes to be with me in the living room. Then now she started vomiting all over the place!! I got worried and she refuse to eat their food! I gave her a Friskies can of salmon and she ate it all!! So, there you go, the proof right there!! Soo angry!!

Original review: July 5, 2019

Gave this food to my cats because our regular food was at our pet store which was closed for that day. My elder cat became lethargic and have a seizure. My baby kitten vomited up nothing but this food product. Both cats scream howled in pain while experiencing this. They are indoor pets not exposed to chemicals and fed a a consistent single product organic diet which they thrive on. This product is the only deviance. I hope to hell that my cats are not going to die as has happened in so many of the above reviews! Never buying this product again. Your company is dangerous and should not still be open.

Original review: June 14, 2019

On July 24th 2018 I fed my cats a new food, Purina Tender and Crunchy Combo. I purchased a 3 Ib bag of this via Walmart.com, thinking I would try something new. I fed this to my 8 cats, as a small snack, only 1 time. The biggest mistake I wish that I never had made. At first it was not that big of deal. It started the following morning, I awoke to one of my cats vomiting. Innocent enough because this has happened occasionally, if I used something different or they have hairballs. I quickly saw that this was so much more than that. By the end of that Sunday night all 8 were vomiting, to the point where it was almost pure blood. This was upwards of 100 times when it was all said and done.

I called the only available vet for being a weekend. He was convinced a toxin had to be in the food and said to throw it out. He was hopeful if the vomiting subsided that the cats would improve without needing vet care. This was the case for 6 of my 8, however, sadly I lost 2 of my kitties at 2 and at 4 days. The whole experience was agonizing by the end. To see what they were going through and know that I caused it by giving them something that I thought they would like.

Purina, in essence, killed my cats. If it was not for that purchase of their product I would still have my Little Man and Mario. I contacted Purina two days into the ordeal, requesting they pay for a vet visit. They finally gave in after the first cat died. So I made the appointment, I went to let my Mario know he was getting help only a few minutes after leaving the room. When I returned, he was no longer breathing. The injustice in that I cannot even explain or ever reconcile with. Mario was cheated.

I am an educated woman, I have been through a lot raising cats and am extremely knowledgeable about cat behavior and health. Yet I was completely unaware of how bad these 2 were doing until it was too late, and I KNOW that it was this food that harmed them. I am still in the process of getting justice for my Little Man and my Mario. At this point, Purina takes no accountability. They are in process of testing the food, but I am looking for more trustworthy entities to do so as well. I will wait and see.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I noticed feeding my cats the Purina brand cat food it's like they can't get full! One ate himself into obesity and became diabetic, now I am administering insulin to him twice a day. Yikes! So I monitor the others and every time they see me they go to their bowls like Purina doesn't satisfy them but has an addictive agent that makes them want more and it bloats them! I will be making the slow transition over to Tractor Supply's dry food. Something's gotta change. Purina's food is doing something horrible. I want them to eat but not gorge themselves and get health related problems. Goodbye Purina. I know you're messing with your ingredients to form addicts!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I am extremely angry that this company is still in business! My 8 year old friend has been sick for two weeks. Had her to the vet after diarrhea and frequent urinating, vomiting and lethargic. Now on antibiotics and pro biotics for 5 days and a diet of chicken, and veggies. She hasn't been herself. No jumping or playing. For a week and a half. Day 10 and we let her eat your food once again and we're back to square one with 8 piles of vomit one with blood clots and diarrhea. Haven't tried this brand before til a month weeks ago. I have to say I will never purchase it again and will be sure to spread the word of your toxic food. I'm at work at the moment extremely scared and hurt. This company is disgusting. Making yet again another vet appointment. Praying our baby can survive this nightmare! No more of your poison in my baby. You should be ashamed!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information