3.70/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1469 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I fed my now deceased two Shih Tzus Purina One for 17 years without any problems. With that for encouragement, I decided to give Purina Pro Plan Focus a try since I had new Shih Tzus for my breeding program. It is one of the few dog foods on the market that does not contain soy, peas, carrots, and other ingredients believed to affect the number of puppies in a litter.

The hair on one of my Dams became very brittle, and her coat thinned considerably. All the dogs (7 in total) constantly ate their poop (we pick up immediately when possible); they occasionally had diarrhea; and they also ate dirt and grass. Eating grass is normal - if the dog is nauseous. They always seemed hungry. At least 4 of them started throwing up several times a week. The puppies in one litter had diarrhea or loose stools; I started them on probiotics, cheese, dewormed, and switched dog food brands. Although the dog food I switched the dogs to has the ingredients believed to affect litter numbers, my dog’s health comes first! They love their new food (one that’s tried and true, and what I wish I stuck with before giving Pro Plan a try), and all health problems improved within 24 hours.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Updated: We lost Cedric the Pyrador this morning at 4:30. I've taken my rottweiler off that toxic mess and put him on something else entirely. Cedric's death seems to be part of a pattern with this food. I called Purina and let them have it yesterday over all this, but it didn't seem to faze them. People, PLEASE listen to me: DO NOT LET YOUR BABIES ANYWHERE NEAR PURINA DOG FOOD. Our babies deserve better than a dog food company that keeps making food that can and will kill them.

Original review: I started my pyrador on the SmartBlend chicken and rice two months ago. Before this Cedric was a full time eating machine. After finishing the first bag I bought another. He stopped eating and has lost so much weight. He is very weak and has greenish diarrhea. I've started feeding him plain rice to get anything into his system because I can't afford to go to the vet. This is not my little boy!!! I'm scared to death of losing him, and he's not even 8 years old yet. Someone needs to pull this crap off the shelves NOW!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

We have been feeding all our cats, (feral, strays and our own) Kitten Chow and Friskies can food for a very long time now. In the past few months, they have developed scabs, began to vomit/diarrhea and most have died. The ones that have survived had stopped eating the food a long time ago. We have taken them to the vet and he can't find a reason for it. Every vet we have taken them to have asked us what they got into. We don't use pesticides at all and neither does our neighbors. We are heartbroken. We didn't know others were having similar problems until this past week when most of our beautiful strays, ferals and our own kitties passed away.

It starts with vomiting/diarrhea. Lethargy and trouble walking. Dehydration. They stop eating and drinking. Blood work comes back fine. We can only treat the symptoms. It seems the recipe has changed and no one said anything. Shame on you Purina and Friskies and Mars and Nestle. To all who has gone thru this, my heart is with you. Our hearts are shattered to the point where we may never find all the pieces.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 3 year old lab Purina Pro Plan since the beginning. I’ve always bought the large bags at Petco. I was cleaning out my pantry last night and found a disgusting amount of maggots, alive and dead, all over under the food, floorboards, just disgusting. I checked the current bag I opened 10 days ago and found nothing. I don’t know when or how long they’ve been there, but the Pro Plan is the ONLY place they could come from. I haven’t found any moths, just the larvae. I had no idea this was such a big problem! I’ll be contacting Petco and Purina. I’ll definitely be switching to another brand. GROSS!!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

November 30, 2018, both my dogs, 12 year old female miniature Dachshund and 10 year old female Weimaraner were prescribed Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets OM by their vet. The Dachshund hated it, would barely eat. The Weimaraner didn't like it either but ate it after two days. Three weeks in I'm starting to notice my Weimaraner is having a hard time standing, taking a bowel movement and swollen lymph node all over. December 23, 2018 red bruising appeared on her stomach and she was not eating.

December 24, 2018, I took her and the remaining dog food to her vet complaining that she appears to be allergic to the food. She was examined, given a shot of Dexamethasone and sent home. December 29, 2018, follow-up, the swollen lymph nodes have not improved, the vet order x-rays and blood work...her spleen is enlarged and she has internal bleeding. We're sent home with prescriptions: **, Purina K9 CN Single can, **, ** and Royal Canine dog food (wet/dry). December 31, 2018 @ 11:50 am we carried Mia outside to relieve herself, 12 noon she's dead in the backyard. The Dachshund is ok...she wouldn't eat the food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I also (as many others are reporting) have been buying Friskies canned cat food for years and now I am on a search for another brand. I do not know what Friskies has done to the food but our cats will not eat it most of the time. It is not just one but it is all 4 of them. Three of which are outdoor cats that were strays and they normally eat anything. Number 4 is a fussy cat but he normally would eat Friskies without a problem. Most of the food I feed them is Pate due to the fact it is lower in carbs. Once I toss/return or feed the rest of our Purina products, I hope to never purchase Purina again. It is unreal that a company would change a good product into a substandard product. I am a very unhappy consumer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We gave our puppy Purina dog food after we finished the stuff the breeder gave to us. She did okay with that brand of food but we wanted to try something more reasonably priced, we were also under the impression that Purina is of good quality— so we introduced this in her daily feedings. At first we mixed it with the remnants of her other dog food, when it was all gone we only gave her Purina. We noticed she wasn’t eating as much, she ate very little yet her vet said she was perfectly normal. We kept giving her Purina, thinking she’d come around but she never really did.

We started having problems with housebreaking shortly after we introduced this food to her. She would no longer wait until we took her outside to pee and poop, she would poop and pee all over the house, constantly having accidents in the home. We realized when she was eating it was just going through her so we cut back a bit on her food. She got sick real quick, we tried making her better by switching her to raw organic food. We only fed her organic ground beef, tuna, carrots, white rice, and green beans, five times a day to get her healthy. Unfortunately, it wasn’t good enough. Our girl never gained her health back, she passed away the day after Christmas. Please do not give this food to your pets!!!! Do NOT.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

We are a cat rescue and TNR 501-3C public charity. We monitor and feed 100s of cats that once neutered and released on the streets are regularly fed only Purina Cat Chow Complete daily, and supplemental Friskies Canned food (at times). The main ongoing food is always Purina Cat Chow Complete as that is we felt the best quality food we could afford and made by a major manufacturer in the USA. The Purina Cat Chow Complete dry cat food is also fed to rescued animals. However, in viewing such a large population of cats over time, we find a condition called "stomatitis" becoming prevalent. This is a condition/disease that causes irritation and inflammation to the gums and mouth, drooling, general malaise and is generally dismissed as a "dental disease". This condition in cats we feel may actually be a result of poor food quality, or somehow, poor absorption of food resulting in the condition.

Our problem, is we feel we are feeding a high quality product in Purina Cat Chow, but are we? For about 4 months we fed in house rescues an exclusive diet of Blue Buffalo cat foods. Most of the sicker rescued animals got better. In fact vomiting was virtually eliminated, the cats' overall wellness, was better, improved coats, skin, etc. Of course, maybe sicker animals can't absorb food as well, and maybe the Blue Buffalo's higher quality ingredients, with its higher overall protein levels, meant the sicker cats absorbed more nutrition and thus created better overall health. So we tried some other high protein, high quality brands, like American Journey, Evolution, and found the same improvements in overall health.

Recently, we read about the issues with Thiamine (B1) deficient illness caused by Nine Lives cat food which did not have enough vitamin B1 in the Nine Lives canned food. This got us to thinking about our exclusive use of the Purina Cat Chow Complete product. Because, once we went back to exclusive use of Purina Cat Chow Complete, the cats in the rescue area, starting getting sick, more vomiting, malaise, and general health issues. One healthy cat developed an intestinal issue and died, another developed a neurological issue in its arm (lost all movement, the Vet said nothing broken) and it had a seizure and literally dropped dead, plus other cats developing a cold like symptom as they became more lethargic.

We can't prove anything, but, subjective analysis of our experiment with higher quality foods, leads us to believe that exclusive use of any one kind of food could be an issue. And that at least in the case of Purina Cat Chow Complete, it is not an ideal product for older cats that might need more nutrition, or even neutered cats in the feral population that might have more health issues.

Our recommendation to all single and multiple cat owners in a family residence is to feed ONLY high quality foods like Blue Buffalo or American Journey or Evolution or etc. (if the price is high and it stings a bit, yep you got the right stuff). Purina Cat Chow Complete might be acceptable for young animals with robust immune systems and no other health issues, but we feel over time, as those cats age that food is not the best choice.

As a TNR Agent, and Rescue, with daily feeding to consider, we never purchase the lowest cost food, but there may be no middle ground! Our devotion to Purina Cat Chow as a high quality minimum product may have been wrong based on our field observation. For a cat, it might be any food is better than starvation, but what if the food you feed your cat is not absorbing properly? What if your cat is starving or becoming ill as based on the food you are using? Your cat goes downhill slowly, develops this or that illness, what if it's the food you are using, even a major brand?

So many food ingredients are sourced from China these days, and food inspections in China are questionable, so even a USA brand could have some ingredients that are sourced thru China, contaminated ingredients, and still have that "made in the USA" label. And with the recent Nine Lives recall's in 2017 and 2018 we know that whatever testing the manufacturer is doing, it was completely wrong, resulting in numerous animals becoming at risk of B1 deficiency if Nine Lives had been used exclusively.

A final recommendation, is if a cat starts to become ill, it's prudent to isolate that cat, change to a super high quality of food for a month to see if that straightens out the issue, and of course see your vet. The problem being, nutritional illness can be misdiagnosed as almost anything by a vet, leading to a lot of expensive test that go nowhere.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We have two older cats that have ate Friskies Pate wet cat food daily for years. We bought a 24 can pack around three weeks ago from Walmart and suddenly the cats will not touch any of it. It doesn't matter what flavor we set out for them they refuse to eat the cat food. Evidently there is something that is bad with the cat food. Don't know why Purina has not had a recall on the food.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My dog loves the chicken chunks but there are hardly any in the bag. I might as well buy just any cheap dog food as to buy this now. I will consider changing dog food for him now. Thanks for your consideration.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information