2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (923 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

Recently noticed bugs inside my dogs food. They were in the sealed container which means already in the bag when purchased. They are black bugs and never saw them before.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

We recently switched our three indoor cats to Purina Cat Chow, and within a week our oldest boy was dead. Maddox was a rescue, of sorts, so we never really knew his age, but he was estimated to be around 12. The other two are just over 3 years old and just over a year old, respectively. We came home one day, about 3 days after switching their food, to find Maddox dead on the bathroom floor. He had vomited a huge amount just prior. My husband was devastated, as this was his baby. The other two cats seemed fine, but the youngest didn't seem to have much of an appetite since we switched food. At first I thought maybe it was the taste, but after reading all the reviews, I feel he may have had an intuition that cannot be explained.

As I said in the subject, it could be a coincidence, but after a friend shared a link to this page on my Facebook just one day after we lost Maddox, I read the reviews, and I highly doubt it was just a coincidence. I can't help but blame myself, I feel like if I hadn't bought the Purina Cat Chow that Maddox would still be alive. I feel guilty, because had I read this page prior to the purchase, I would have never allowed it into my house. Needless to say my mother, who also purchased a bag the same day I did, said her cats don't even like it, so both bags have since been thrown away.

I sincerely hope Purina stops denying that something is wrong, and fixes whatever they've done to their formula, or sends samples to a lab to be evaluated. With so many people losing their beloved pets, I would think they would want to rectify the problem before their company name becomes more tarnished than it already is. Rest in Peace, Maddox, even if this review helps one person think twice about what they feed their fur babies, I know you have not died in vain.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

I started feeding my dog Purina One Dog Food because he kept eating my roommates' dogs' food and that's what she fed them. I bought a small bag to test drive it. I noticed he would hesitate to eat and that he developed diarrhea. At first I thought it was just because his food was changed, but when the diarrhea didn't clear up within a few days I was concerned. I watched him closely and no other serious symptoms came up, but I decided not to buy that food anymore. I'm so glad I made that decision. After reading these reviews I got really lucky the food didn't kill him. Now I'm wondering about his diarrhea after having Pedigree canned food. I thought maybe it was just the wet food because he doesn't get it very often. Now I'm wondering if it was more than that. What's going on Purina? Raw meat in your canned food? Flies and maggots in your sealed cans and bags? Not cool.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

My cat has been a part of my family for 13 years, she was healthy, slightly overweight but healthy. I have been feeding her Purina Cat Chow Naturals for the past year or two, because she mainly stayed in the house. Before that was just plain Cat Chow because she would go outside often and I felt her diet was healthy. My husband went to pick her up some cat food and he bought her Purina Cat Chow Indoor, I told him his mistake, but said we would just use it anyway, the store is over 15 miles away. Over about 4 days she became sick, it was hardly noticeable at first, but by day 2 she was vomiting and became extremely needy. I'm sad to say I didn't think it was serious, because she was a long-hair cat and would get hairballs. On day 4 I came downstairs and found her in her own vomit and barely breathing. I called the vet immediately and explained what I found; she couldn't move, she had shallow breathing, the vomit was almost green, and her eyes looked stressed or fear-filled.

It was a Sunday, the vet started heading our direction. Within 15 minutes after my call to him she had another spasm and vomited green bile, the spasm was so hard that her tongue came out of her mouth about 3 or 4 inches and she was gone. I don't know what was wrong with your Purina Cat Chow Indoor, but I definitely believe it attributed to her horrible death. The green bile and greenish vomit tells me that she was poisoned, and being that she has been an indoor cat for the past year, I honestly believe that something was wrong with the Indoor Cat Chow. I still have the bag, it's almost full because we only used it for about 4 days.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

I used to quirk for a vet and had always felt I could trust Purina brand foods. That is until we bought a new bag of it about 1 month ago. My dog would vomit shortly after eating his food; he also had an itching problem that seemed to correlate with the vomiting. At first I thought he was sick or some of the treats we have were upsetting his stomach, so we got him checked out and it seemed it was definitely from something he ate. Then we took away his treats, but the vomiting continued. I have now had him on Iams for a week, and no vomiting. No itching. And no messes to clean up. I am not going back!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

Fed this to my cat, now he's gone, seems I am not alone. Are they too big to sue? Cannot put a price on my boy, but seems at least a class action suit should be filed! As a member of Move On & Causes, guess I need to start a petition. What the hell? Are they not culpable for poisoning my beloved pet? Riding on an old and once trusted name in pet products, this will not go unchallenged!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

We bought Purina Cat Chow and 4 out of our 6 cats did not want to eat it. The other 2 will eat just about anything but they just nibbled at it. Both of those cats vomited after eating. The next day all 6 cats were eating and all 6 vomited. Something is wrong with the food. Our cats are not real picky and have always been given Purina but something was clearly wrong with this food. This happened 1st week of Nov 2014.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

Purina Fancy Feast Tender Liver & Chicken Feast Classic and Beef - My cat started throwing up after eating every day. I had purchased a case and ceased using after a few cans. She had been eating the beef for years, thought her tummy upset from eating too fast. She did not seem sick. Changed to Liver and Chicken and shortly after, same thing happened. Are they using China again? I will stop feeding my cat Purina if this is the case. I feed hard food and soft to them. Why wasn't there any news about this???

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

One of my cats threw up Monday night after eating from a new bag of food and I noticed that both of my cats have just been sniffing at their bowls and walking away. I assumed they haven't been hungry but now I'm wondering if they've been affected by a product that's been tampered with. Looks like I'm headed home at lunch and changing their food just to be on the safe side.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I have had several cats get sick and just die! They have all been vaccinated, and no physical evidence until this last two months. I brought home two kitties I had adopted and both of them came violently ill with foaming bloody mouths and sores on their tongues. One we had to euthanize and the other made it through. Now I have another one who is so skinny and he won't eat his food. Thought is was his teeth so I bought him soft canned food. Also Purina. I don't know that he'll make it. These cats are all outdoor cats, barn cats, but they are still my pets. I have just phoned home in learning about Purina and their horrible history of animals dying and we are throwing away all Purina Products. I suggest you all do the same. I am so ashamed as I feel I let my animals die unknowingly. Don't go through what I've been through.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I am still not sure, all this is related to the dog food, but my dog has been having awful skin reactions the past 8 weeks. Hot and itchy spots that have led to infection. We thought it was all related to getting a kitten and new stress for the dog, but now I am not so sure. She has always been on Purina Dog Chow. The vet recommended a Senior version since she is now 9. I bought the Purina One Smart Blend and started giving it to her and she seems to be worse. All these posts have me rethinking the cat stress and reconsidering her food.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

This has me very much concerned. My dog has been eating Purina One for almost a year, but I have noticed that his bowel movement are not always regular. He was put on a Chicken & Rice formula because he seemed to have colitis when I first got him. I will definitely be speaking with the vet about this.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I have been reading about all the problems with Purina dog and cat food! My dog's problems make perfect sense now! All of a sudden he fell ill, having seizures and throwing up, losing weight and loss of appetite! Purina has never had recalls to my knowledge but I am done with your products as of right now! I have vet bills in the hundreds of dollars!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I had bought a new bag of purina one healthy weight formula and fed my dog. About an hour later she vomited everything up in 4 or 5 piles. The rest of the night, she vomited over 30 times and in the am, I found she had had two bouts of bloody diarrhea. We rushed her to the vet where after 2200 dollars and a lot of medical attention, they were able to get her on the road to recovery. Not happy when they said because it was a new bag of food and no prior problems, that it was probably due to the dog food. But since she had vomited it all out, they couldn't be 100% certain. I just hope if it was that, purina fixes their food. I'm afraid to even think of what losing her should have done to me and I'm so sorry for every other owners loss or struggles they went through.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I was feeding my three cats Purina Complete. They were getting seriously ILL and vomiting after they ate. When I got to the vet, he put them on Iams telling me that what was wrong with them was the food. All three are healthy and happy now.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

About a month ago I purchased cat chow complete. When feeding I noticed the new & improved on the bag...also noticed my 4 cats were not eating it as well & it was larger kibble. I figured they would get use to it & gave it time. Well...2 of my 4 started vomiting on a daily basis for about a week. A few days later 1 kept vomiting so off to the vets with her...got 2 injections & meds to come home with. I went to the pet store that night...figuring it was the food & went to Purina one...the 4 of them took rather well to it. Then last weekend another 1 of my cats vomiting then with blood...to the Dr we go...a day admitted...x-rays..(sent out for radiologist to view) full panel blood work..fluids..meds. Back the next morning to repeat, x-rays & tests were negative...but some low blood work & some high blood work...but no disease. At this time no clear answers. I can guarantee no animal of mine will ever be fed anything associated with Purina! I can certainly locate my receipts if needed.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

We have always bought large bags of Cat Food from Costco that the cat had no problems with. After buying one bag of Purina Cat Chow Complete from the local grocery store, our cat started gulping for a couple of days and then this morning threw up all over the floor and has stomach cramps all day. It has never been sick like this from anything it ate, and it is still hiding without any interest in eating. The stamp on the Purina bag says: "BEST BY MAR 2016 42471083 0254L05, and the bar code label says: 17800 15012.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I have a 5 year old Maine Coon cat that has eaten nothing but Purina dry Original Cat Chow since he was 8 weeks old. He never had a problem and was completely healthy until winter of last year. I bought a small bag of Purina Complete because Walmart was out of the original. Within a week or so, I noticed that he was vomiting and had the runs, he was listless. Then one night he started howling and trying to hide, it was horrifying. He couldn't walk. In the morning I took him to the vet, who said it didn't look good. Came to find out he had a blockage in his kidneys, caused by very high PH in his urine. After a week in the hospital and $1,200, he came home. I didn't put the food and illness together, so he started eating the same food. He ended up back at the vet again within a week, where I was told it was the food. He's been on a prescription dry food since then and is healthy now. He'll need this food from now on, but the cost is worth having my baby back. After seeing many of these posts citing different varieties of Purina food, perhaps Purina needs to figure out their issue before the lawsuits start pouring in.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

My almost 17 year old cat has eaten canned Friskies all of his life with no noticeable consequences. However, there are times that he will suddenly stop eating one of his favorites & refuse to ever eat it again, especially the shredded Turkey & Cheese. I personally have never noticed a problem with anything he snubbed but that doesn't mean there's something wrong. He has also been eating the Purina One Hairball Formula for years now & doesn't seem to have adverse effects from it either although I do occasionally find him eating grass, which we all know is a sign of indigestion. He is a mostly outside cat so if anything were to make him actually vomit & probably wouldn't know about it.

My problem though is that my 9 month old puppy is a cat food stealer as the cat does come into the house to eat. There are several of the canned flavors that he refuses to touch & I am noticing that he does have occasional vomiting. When this happens it can be several times in one day. He's a very picky eater, refuses any form of dog food & mostly eats human meats & sometimes cheese. If he doesn't like what's in his bowl that's when he goes for the dry cat food. Now, after reading all these horror stories, I am truly concerned that the Purina One is the culprit & possibly some of the canned foods when he does eat them. Since the cat doesn't seem to be suffering (for now anyway) I guess I will have to put up his food when he is done to ensure the puppy doesn't get into it. If something were to happen to him as a result of their products it would totally devastate me!

Thank you to all that have posted on this site. My heart goes out to every one of you as I am truly sorry for all of your unnecessary & preventable losses. The grief here is overwhelming but I hope you know that others like myself can learn from your sharing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I have noticed my cats vomiting after eating kit and kaboodle cat food by Purina, but didn't put two and two together till now. I have trashed the rest of this poison and will purchase a safe brand. What a shame I have always had pets and fed them Purina brand until now. Someone has put the buck before their integrity. May they feel the pain they have caused times ten.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I've been using Purina for a long time, but recently with their new & improved shape motto on the bag I began having trouble with my cat throwing up every time she ate the food. I used the original cat chow (blue bag) & the Healthy weight, both recent bags were brand new. Once I stopped feeding her the food & changed over to something else she no longer got sick. We ended up using it outside for night critters unaware of all the other complaints till recently (this happened about 2-3 months ago). Since my cats haven't had any of their food none of them are throwing up anymore. While 1 was every time she ate it the others were at least a few times a week. It's a shame you can't trust the food anymore & you need to worry what's wrong with it.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

After giving my dog this food, within a few days, she began throwing up and having a very loose stool. I threw the bag of food out (cost me $15.00). However, my dog's life is far more valuable. I no longer have the bag. I live in the State of GA.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I've been feeding my cat Purina Indoor Delights and Friskies meaty bits and shreds for many years. Recently he's starting chewing all his fur off, gags after eating, occasionally vomits, and sleeps almost all the time. Thought it was from his aging, but after reading the comments of others, now I'm not so sure. I'll be buying another brand of food tomorrow to see if that helps. Thank you everyone for alerting me to this problem. It's a shame Purina hasn't recalled their products. Always thought it was a reliable company.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

I have had two young cats within the last 3 months to pass away and the vet could not determine what was going on. It started as what looked like a URI or a "bad cold" or severe allergy. Amoxi did not stop the symptoms. After a few days of these symptoms, they both lost mobility, and just laid there, not moving. Then, they passed away. I went to TWO different vets, and neither one could figure out what was wrong with them! I have fed my cats Friskies for years, because I trusted Purina. I thought maybe this was all a coincidence, but seeing these reports make me think differently!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

My dog is 17 years old. I had her since I was in 8th grade. She has always been healthy, even the vet told me that she had the heart of a 5-year old dog. Just recently I was short with money so I bought the cheap dog food. It was Purina for dogs. My dog is now dying, vomiting all over the place, diarrhea, you name it. I am very very angry to say the least. Something must be done!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Friskies = I had gave my cat a half cup of dry food, and within two days she had gotten a fever, vomiting and diarrhea, and was very sluggish. Took her to the vet, he gave her clavamox, and 2 days later after eating more she went right back downhill, took her back to the vet and she died Oct 27th this year. She was only 3 years old....What the heck is going on... she all of a sudden became jaundice and got liver failure.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Cats won't eat and.or vomit anymore. None of my cats will eat the Friskies canned food and rarely will eat any of the Purina bagged foods. They usually will vomit if they have no other choice but to eat it. I have 3 outdoor cats and 1 indoor cat. I have wasted and thrown away so much of these brands of cat food. I recently purchased some of the Whiskas cat food and they have been eating and keeping it down. What's going on with the Purina cat food that has always been trusted?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I have been using Purina Indoor cat food for quite sometime now and have just figured out that it must be the food they are eating that is making them sick. Both cats vomit all over the house almost every day and one of my cats has lost so much weight and I am worried about her. This has been going on for such a long time and I have been trying to figure out why they vomit so much when there are no hair balls but just food vomited and blood as well.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

Purina True Instinct (Lamb and Venison flavor) - I bought some food for my dog. It was in the budget and seemed to be a good choice. Brought it home and he devoured it. The next day, he started having bloody stool. That continued on for a week. I took him off the food and since then, he has been fine. I've also been feeding my two cats Purina naturals cat chow. It has increased their throwing up and they also have bloody stool. I don't care how affordable Purina is. I have taken all three off Purina and everyone is doing much better.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

My two cats were given a bowl of Purina Cat Chow (Indoor). They ate almost all of it, my daughter heard a coughing sound and she saw blood coming out of (Zeke) the male's mouth. He laid down and wasn't able to walk or move. Within minutes the other cat (Ziggie) a female, started showing the same things. She threw up and couldn't move out of the vomit. She was paralyzed and died within 15 minutes. The male also died within 30 minutes. They were both in perfect health and very active before they ate. My heart and my kids' hearts are broken and we all suffered great loss and we will probably never be the same. It seems that Purina is putting hazardous products in their pet food that so many of us pet owners feed to our pets.

These products may even be harmful to the environment. What would happen if my grandson ate some? We immediately threw the bag in the trash. Evidently they (Purina) has known for quite some time that there is a huge problem with their product. They are just in business for greed and profit. We are a family that was victimized by Purina. Sadness and heartache from death and misery! We demand changes and compensation. I have contacted local media who are aware of this and the truth will always stand. Sincerely Saddened and Heartbroken.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information