2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (773 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

Last week my husband bought Purina One Urinary Tract Formula for our cats (one is prone to UTIs) and two of three of my cats have been seriously ill. Both have been vomiting white foam and drinking water excessively. Last Friday night my one cat was so ill that I thought that we would lose her but she perked up by morning (didn't make the food connection). The symptoms started again today and my other cat was sick last night. We threw away the bag and will never buy another Purina product. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and we are hoping she perks back up or off to the vet on a holiday. If she dies there is going to be one pissed off consumer on Purina's hands.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2014

My brother just gave me a kitten I named kratos. He was perfectly fine. I went out and bought the kitten type Purina fancy feast and I noticed he wasn't able to easily poop. Then he was meowing constantly. I left this morning to go to class and came home to find him laying dead in his vomit:( I only had him two days. Previous to kratos, I had rescued two feral kittens from my neighborhood. Gibson and Sylvester were perfectly fine and playful. I bought them kitten caboodle but fed them the regular Purina fancy feast for breakfast and dinner daily. At first I noticed they stopped playing and they avoided each other, which was odd. Sylvester got sick first and I found her when I got home from work. Prior to her death, she had accidents on herself when pooping and her back legs rapidly gave out on her, she also slept a lot and had a fever with a swollen face. Same instance with Gibson. However, she surpassed her sister by four days. I thought maybe they had something already when I rescued them so I felt I had did a good deed, loved them to their end. Apparently it was the food. It's too much of a coincidence, because now it has happened to my kratos too.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2014

Purina One Chicken and wholegrain dry cat food - My cat has been violently sick for the past week on Purina One! Beware, this is making cats vomit, have diarrhea, lethargy and depression! I've never seen him so sick. It was only until I read up on this food which has been altered recently that I was shocked it even been killing cats! I've given him a little dry tuna and I hope he keeps it down!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2014

Fancy Feast and Friskies were the primary choice for my indoor and outdoor kitties for 13 years! Recently I'm opening 5-6 cans to maybe try to feed them wet food instead of 2!!! None of them would touch it anymore. Horrible smelly diarrhea from two of my indoor cats and very dry almost black stool from the older ones. What the hell are they putting in those cans recently? I feed them holistic, grain-free dry food but they get wet food twice/day. One of my older cats is throwing up, the other one refuses to eat wet food all together, and the third is having hacking/coughing spasms without hair balls and nasty diarrhea. I tried giving the same for my outdoor colony and they wouldn't touch it either. I am seriously pissed off. I'm calling the company tomorrow and then the FDA. They are putting some horrible ingredients in there :( Reading all of your reviews I am absolutely petrified!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2014

I've been feeding my cats Purina One indoor complete and I've never had a problem up until now. I happened to purchase the new and improved formula and my cats have been throwing up each day since I purchased it. I'm throwing this bag out and never going back to Purina. Instead of being greedy and looking at ways to increase your revenue by cutting costs with cheap food try having a heart.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

Last week I purchased a bag of PURINA BENEFUL (as I've been for the past year and a half for my pup). She suddenly began to vomit the next day. I was convinced it wasn't the food because she eats it all the time. Over the next couple of days, her vomiting was incessant and she began to look lethargic. My neighbors even noticed the difference. For the past few days she's lost her appetite for any and all food, and she has constant diarrhea with blood segments in her stools. I'm poor and can't afford a vet. The symptoms parallel the symptoms for PARVO. Then I decided to engine search PURINA RECALL because I have no idea how she could have contracted such a sickness.. I'm pissed! I love my pup and every time she seems to get better it turns and gets worse for her.

I recommend anyone experiencing the same with their pet; save receipts, save the bag (or container) and make an account for any expenses occurred (ie: cleaning supplies, damaged household items due to vomit and bloody feces, shoes, clothes, carpets etc.) and of course spread the word to friends and family to NOT PURCHASE THIS EVIL CRAP!! Lastly if it is a strain of PARVO (which is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS), our animals should quarantined as to not infect other pets who don't even eat the stuff!! I mean all it takes is one "hello", butt sniff and another dog is infected!! This is horrible! My pup is my best friend, member of the family and I'm scared whether or not she's going to make it. Love and prayers for all the pets and pet parents out there suffering.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

With the holidays approaching we're on a tight budget so I purchased the lowest priced food at the grocery store which was Kit n Kaboodle. Big mistake. None of my 6 cats want to eat this, even the non picky eaters, and I noticed my 20 pound boy vomiting shortly after eating it. I thought maybe he ate too much but now a few days later all the cats are vomiting it up. Will be throwing the food away today and replacing with something healthy.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

Approximately, for three weeks, I have noticed that my cat has been throwing after eating Purina One for Urinary Tract Health. Then, today my other cat was throwing up white foamy fluid and the cat food in most of the vomit. I have been feeding the cats Purina One for years and didn't understand the problem. After reading these postings about Purina Cat food has been making cat's sick, I now understand the root of their problem. As a result, I will no longer be feeding this to my cat.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

We just bought a new bag of Purina cat food. We have 3 kittens that have just started eating with their mom. I gave them their food this morning from the new bag, all doing well, came home a few hours later and all three kittens had died. I don't know what happened or changed other than the food.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

This is what I always feed my 4 cats. After purchasing the last bag less than 2 weeks ago, none of my cats were acting right after eating this!!!! Most were throwing up (I never cleaned up so much in just a few days!). I ended up throwing out all of this food. My poor >^..^<"s

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

Last December, my older cat got sick and died. Vet and I thought it was just old age. Cat was 14 yrs. old. One month later, my other cat (4 yrs. old) got very sick. We almost lost him - but the vet saved him. I have been feeding my cats Purina cat chow for years. I thought it was a brand I could trust. After I read what other cat owners have been going through - I think my current cat might have gotten sick on the food. I have changed cat food and I have told my family members about the situation. THANK YOU! for letting us know about this. You have saved many, many animals and heartache.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2014

My daughter's cat has become deathly sick. It started a week and one half ago where her cat got diarrhea and stopped eating. He never goes outside, she has no plants in the house, nor can he get to any chemicals. I told her it had to be the food causing his sickness. After doing some research, I have found this to be the case with others who have cats that have eaten Purina's Fancy Feast foods. Right now, her cat has been tested for everything under the sun and the vet is stumped what has happened to her 4 year old cat. I know her vet bill is over $1500 right now and the cat is still in the hospital. What Purina doesn't understand, these pets are people's family! Much heartache and tears have been shed over her cat, Roo. We are praying that her cat can bounce back. Never again will she feed her cat Purina foods again!!! I will never feed my cat that brand too!!! Please let me know if there is a class action suit against Purina due to this!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

I have fed my dogs x 3 all rescues for years on Purina. I lost a German Shepard at 9 to spleen tumor. It seems all goes well when I buy 19lb bags, but when I buy the larger bags to save money, all get sick... This has happened often enough to make me very concerned if the food is the same.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2014

I switched my 3-year-old dog over to Purina's Beyond 9 formula 2 weeks ago. After a few days he got very ill. Wouldn't touch his food, slept all day and was very lethargic. After a very expensive trip to the vet it was determined to be a gastrointestinal issue. Four days of boiled hamburger and rice he started improving a bit. I did contact Purina and they offered to pay my vet bill. No problem; with the understanding that once I cash the check my case is closed. I sent them a sample that he was eating, no word yet if it was tainted. Also was feeding my cat Friskies indoor cat formula and he vomited all day long. I took him off it immediately and saw improvement within a day.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

Just bought a new bag Thursday night and my cats started throwing up - everyone. One of them is meowing in pain first. I was trying to figure out what the heck was so different. Looked around to see if they got into something... Nothing... then my dog got into the cat food and he started vomiting. Yes, it was the cat food. I buy this all the time. Never had a problem. This is awful. The company just wanted to give me a coupon for another bag. After reading all this, I am afraid too.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

I would buy Purina complete at Walmart for years. They ended up changing the formula and we noticed our cats kept puking several times a day. This went on for a long time. We could not figure out what was wrong with our cats. I even bought wheat grass for the cats and planted it in the house for their tummies. I happened to go to Petsmart and get the Cats a different kind of food and noticed, no more puking. I saw someone post a article re: Purina pet food making animals sick. This certainly is true!!! And now knew why my cats were sick for so long, Purina needs to be investigated and charges brought against them!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

Bought my beautiful indoor cat Leo Purina Indoor Cat Food. He died after 3 terrible horrific days. I think of Leo every day. I had no idea the food I was giving him would kill him. I will never be the same. Rest in Peace Leo. You were the best cat we ever had.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

Cats are always throwing up Purina indoor formula and one is getting very, very skinny. Glad my son sent me this site info, have changed to a different cat food. Hopefully it is in time before they get really sick.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

My cats have been eating the Cat Chow Indoor formula (in the green bag that says it will "help reduce hairballs") for years. In the last month I have noticed that they have BOTH been vomiting up their cat food. Between their wet food meals, I always have a bowl of dry cat food out. The vomit consists of nothing but the dry food!! Sometimes I will find 4-5 different spots in my house! I, like others, thought it was due to my cats eating too fast but after reading these reviews I guess I'd better switch to another brand. I don't know why this just started happening but apparently it has happened to others too.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

I cannot prove that our cats died from eating Purina company cat food, but I believe it is likely the culprit. That has been the primary brand of food that we have used to feed our indoor & outdoor cats for a very long time. We have been feeding them mostly Purina Indoor Formula (those that died were indoor cats), but also some of the Friskies variety and Kit N Kaboodle too. We had four die in the last 3 1/2 months. One was elderly, but had been doing well. He died of heart failure. We presumed it was old age, of course. However, the next three were 4 1/2 mos. to 1 year. All of them died within a course of hours from the time we realized anything was wrong. At first they just seemed to sleep more. Then they very quickly became deathly ill. The second to die was 4 1/2 mos. She had congestive heart failure. Way too young for that to be a common cause. Until the day she died, she acted well. The second was a year old. She had jaundice, kidney failure and finally complete organ failure.

The vet said they thought it must be a toxin, but we searched the house for ANYTHING that she could possibly have gotten into. There just wasn't anything. They tried everything to save her, but it was hopeless. I should add we are incredibly careful not to feed them any people food that contains onion, garlic or other known cat toxins. The thought of the dry food as a possible culprit crossed my mind, but I thought things were OK with Purina... more than other brands, at least. After all we've been giving Purina to our cats since I was a kid in the 60's. Now I wish I had read these posts sooner, because we continued to feed them the usual variety of Purina foods.

The last one (about 8 mos. old) didn't last long enough to get to the vets. That was a week ago. He didn't seem that sick. He acted tired. I offered food and he wouldn't eat. From there it was very quick. Rapid breathing, stumbling, pale nose. It was late at night and we live 40 min from the nearest vet. There wasn't time. We had to try something. I tried to give him electrolyte water, got 1/3 of a dropper in him, he convulsed and immediately died. It was violent and shocking. I'm going to switch to Whiskas tonight, in the hope that it's really better. At least it's not Purina. After our experience and after reading these posts I've lost faith in Purina. If they want to have a good image, they had better find out what's going on and get the food off the shelves. Otherwise I think we better take to social media in a big way and let people know they are not interested in protecting our pets health. I don't have a receipt, because we empty our bags into sealed containers and toss the bag.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

I have a cat who is healthy but regularly vomits up Purina dry food soon after eating it. I did not give it much thought until I heard others stories about their pets getting sick from Purina cat food. When I switched to Iams dry food I realize he does not vomit from eating that brand of food. He is also very fussy about which wet food he eats so I am not going to buy any more Purina cat food.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

I have several sick cats since feeding Purina Indoor Cat Food (dry), and Purina Kitten Chow and Friskies canned cat food. They have constant diarrhea, bloody stools and vomiting. I am heartbroken that I have made my animals sick enough that they might die by feeding these products. Never again!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

Thank you so much Purina for changing your Complete Cat Chow to "New and Improved". My cat has been so sick after attempting to keep it down. Even the feral outdoor cats are ill. I called your company. You sent me a package of the "old" version and a coupon for the new... I ran to every store in a ten-mile area buying it (old version) up. Tried to introduce the new food with the old and that was "tolerable" for a short while. Now it most definitely is not fine. Has cost me a small fortune at the vet and my cat a lot of suffering. BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL version please. As for allowing a dog to eat it (response to a post on this site) please do not do that. Can cause seizures.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2014

We have 15+ cats indoor and out along with 5 dogs. We live in the country - our cats the 15 are indoor only ranging from 6 months to 12 years. We had always fed Purina reg. and Purina Indoor formula. We too experienced very sick cats - vomiting and diarrhea. We touched base with Purina. They said they hadn't made much of a change but sent us coupons for a free bag of food - that's it. We belonged to the Purina Pet Club because after saving so many points we got money off bags of food and we buy 22 lb bags many at a time because we live so far from town. We had to switch to the Naturals but even though they are better they still throw up and are sick. We have vets bills on several due to these issues - not to mention cleaning up, etc. We need a better food and plan to switch because we are afraid to lose any more. We did lose 1 - I guess I was more disappointed that they haven't looked into this. It isn't just as if 738 people have complained and we have lots of cats we could wage at least 20 more issues. Why hasn't something been done and whose food do we trust?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

My friend in Indiana fed her outdoor cats Friskies. One cat died; several threw up; one became lethargic and dehydrated, however she nursed it back to health. Don't buy Purina if you cherish your kitties lives. Don't think it can't happen to you.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

Have been feeding my cat Tucker (age 2 yrs) Purina Kitten Chow off and on since we've bought him 2 yrs ago. We've also feed him other brand cat foods, but Tucker has always been a fan of Purina Cat Chow. For the past month and a half, Tucker has been having diarrhea and at times has also had bloody stool. The diarrhea has increased dramatically within last two weeks. We, Tuckers family, have been racking our brains to figure out why this is or was happening. Thought we'd see if it was food 2 days ago. Changed food and searched about recent recalls or any other complaints about Purina pet food. We found the answers we were looking for, hopefully we saved Tucker in time, only time will tell.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

I learned about Purina Cat chow years ago when I first bought it for a small cat. Within minutes of eating it she vomited and refused to eat anymore. I purchased a can of wet food and she ate it with no side effects. I now buy Meow Mix original or tasty centers SC and have no trouble with the cats. If you have this trouble please buy a different company's brand of food. It will save a lot of heartache.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

I fed my cats the salmon Purina food. My cats were throwing up so much. Took the cat food away, I thought it was that they were allergic to the salmon but realized almost all of them have salmon except the good ones. I gave the food away. Wish I would have found this out sooner, not sure if I can retrieve it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

I feed my cats and several strays that hang around. I always tried to save money and bought the cheaper brand foods only to have the cats vomit. I switched to Purina cat chow and all the vomiting stopped. I was very satisfied as were the cats. I bought several bags because they were on sale and with cold temps they eat more. I don't know what was done or changed to the food but the cats (inside and outside strays) have started vomiting just like with the cheap food. I am very displeased with Purina now. I am stuck with this food and will have to use it because I can't replace it. I will now have to continue picking up vomit until this food is gone then I will find another brand to feed the cats. I hope no lives are lost because of the change to the food. I am one unhappy customer.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

I have always used your dog food, never a problem but 2nd week ago my dog past away due to the food he ate. He was only 5 yrs old, no problem before. I am so hurt. I will never use any of your items any longer and I also told my friends and others. Why would you let bad food go out? Why?

Purina Pet Foods Company Information