2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (474 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

Frosty Paws - I have been giving my dog frosty paws for years but twice in a row he had gotten violently ill throwing up. That batch must have been contaminated some how I still have one left but I am not going to feed it to him. I won't buy it any more until you figure out what is wrong with it. Please help because Moose loves that stuff and waits for it by the fridge every night.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

My cats have been eating Purina One Urinary Tract formula after it was discovered that one had crystals forming in his urine. They have been doing so well until recently. I bought a new bag of food and filled the feeder. Since I use a feeder, I check back every few days to see if it needs to be filled. A week passed and I noticed that the food levels had not decreased. I began offering them canned tuna and wet foods but they won't touch either of them. Currently they are both dehydrated, have experienced weight loss and one has developed fatty liver. I contacted Purina with the Lot information and they are supposed to be looking into it. I'm so sad to hear other similar stories, and am convinced that it's the food. I just hope that force feeding them will help.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

We have used this food for 4 months. We bought a new bag. My senior dog a few days after got very sick. Vomit and liquid poo. Went to vet and has lots of bacteria in poo. We got him pills and nursed him back to health. Now my other dog has exact same symptoms. My senior dog refused to eat the Purina anymore but ate a better quality grain free food just fine. Not a happy camper. These are my babies.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

Cat and kitten ill after purina all natural cat chow - Had to take both to the vet after they vomited 3 days. Finally got to the vet and my oldest had to be hydrated, both given shots, fevers of 104.0 and 103.0, oldest lost over 10 lbs within the 3 days. This is no joke. My cats almost died and may still die if I can't come up with the money for blood work. My cats stay indoors. We decided to try out a cheaper brand of food and bamm, it almost cost and hopefully didn't cost their lives. Do not I repeat, do not feed your animals this. Read all the posts. They will get sick and you will not understand why, how or how quickly until it's either too late or you look up the only thing you've changed which will be their diet. Look at the pics. Especially my big cat, he doesn't even look like the same cat any more. He couldn't even walk or stand before I took him to the vet and now slowly, very slowly he it's starting to sit up. Someone is going to have to own up to making my babies sick and get them the help they need as in the blood work and xrays and meds.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

We have 3 indoor cats, and 3 indoor/outdoor cats. We have been feeding the Purina Indoor Cat Chow for at least 2 yrs. And now within the last 2 or 3 months we are noticing that our cats are vomiting all over the house. Mostly the vomit is a pile of barely digested food. The pieces are still definable and you can see the individual bits. This is a new in the last few months. I am now trying to find an inexpensive alternative. I’m afraid of trying a different formula from Purina. And I can’t afford to buy Iams or Wellness or Blue Mountain. I just don't want any of my cats to die!!! I hope there is a class action suit against Purina for whatever they have done to their cat and dog foods!!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

I thought I found a great snack for my 4 cats!! They loved it. So I went back to buy more later that week. My cat started throwing up. Shadow NEVER throws up. Whole chunks of snacks in about 3-5 minutes after he ate. 2 days later, we were in the bathroom & he used the litter. Diarrhea & blood!!! I immediate called the vet & took shadow to the vet. Told the story & the dr gave him a probiotic since it seems to have bad bacteria. It's a powder to mix in the food, once a day. OMG!!! Would you believe the name on the package??? PURINA VETERINARY DIETS FORTIFLORA!!!! Feline probiotic nutritional supplement!! My opinion, they don't care about quality because the vet will get you to buy the Purina antidote!!! It's a WIN-WIN for Purina!!! Now I get why NO vet will bad mouth Purina!! Lots of perks & supplies!! I refuse to buy Purina!! The lamb & rice gives my dogs the diarrhea too!!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

I bought a box of Purina Fancy Feast Cat Food - Elegant Medleys to feed my cats. One cat started throwing up the food and became lethargic, so I looked online and thought that maybe she had a food allergy to this brand. I hadn't bought this particular brand for many months. I continued to feed it to my other cats until today when I noticed that another cat was throwing it up. After reading all of the reviews on this website, I got scared and boxed up all of my Purina products, and there's a lot. I've always trusted Purina, but no more! I'm taking it all back to the store to see if I can get my money back. I spend a LOT on cat food for 5 cats. Please stop them from poisoning our pets!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2014

My cat is an indoor cat that doesn't get into anything. She won't even attack a fly. I switched her to Friskies wet canned food and she started to act weird, her skin was getting bad, when I took her to the vet she had inflammation. They thought she was going to die. It was the only thing I had changed, was Friskies wet canned food. I will never use this product again because I believe it's what almost killed my cat.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

I have been feeding my dogs and cats Purina for years and have never had a problem with it. Now I see that people are saying their animals are dying from eating it. Is this true? You will have to bury me if I kill my babies with your food. I will sue you for everything you stand for. Please don't kill my babies. My husband died three weeks ago and they have been my rock. Please don't take them away from me!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

I bought 4 bags of beyond grain free dry food.. 3 cats are sick. 500 in vet bills for one cat. After doing research..it contains cassava root flour. Do your research. It can be poisonous!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast as well as Purina Naturals. Both would not feel well with the Beef Flavor Fancy Feast. We changed to mostly Salmon which they seem to enjoy. My two year old started having grand mal seizures which I was told was very rare. We went through a series of tests and the only thing left pretty much was an MRI which was around 2k. After listening to a specialist who mentioned that a lot of research was being done on nutrition and its effect on seizures, I started researching and discovered that my two year old cats bursts of spastic activity and/or the invisible bugs he was going after were actually a mild seizure or pre grand mal seizure. Thunder would get in the state especially after eating the Fancy Feast Salmon.

We stopped feeding them Fancy Feast and his horrific seizures stopped. We no longer have a crazy hyper cat - it has been approximately 6 weeks. We always knew he was incredibly sweet and loving but in my opinion this food not only caused him seizures but altered most of his personality. When I thought it through we would only feed Thunder a quarter of a small can along with the dry - when we adopted a stray I increased the amount to a half a can twice daily because that was what the other two had. With the increase in food the frequency of his seizures increased as well. They were horrible and traumatic for him and for us. We are so glad we figured it out and were able to help him before it was too late.

I am so sorry for those who have lost their beloved furry family member and I hope this helps someone save their pets life. I found another site which a person who lost her cat said she read the nitrates contained in Fancy Feast and other food could possibly be the culprit. My pets will be taken off of all Purina products as I feel the company is missing something major in its willingness to protect our beloved family members. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

We have feed our sweet Hunter Kit & Kaboodle off and on for 8 years. He started to become violently ill after eating. He would cry out a loud painful noise and fall over sometimes having small seizures. He would become lethargic and his eyes would dilate to different sizes. He lost weight and started begging for table scraps even though his food bowl was full. I have thrown away all the Purina food and will never allow them to poison another of my family again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

Purina Indoor cat food has been fed to my 4 cats for years. Until now. Last week my husband brought home a new bag of Indoor cat food and during the night one by one they began throwing up in almost every room in our home. And then the awful diarrhea began. As I sit here writing this we have one 10 year old very ill and will be taking him to the vet immediately in the morning. If I lose my boy, I will be suing.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I have been using Purina Brand Cat food for over 50 yrs and have never had a problem until recently. My cats have been throwing up continuously after eating, and also would hang over the bowl but not eat, and one of my cats had lost so much weight I thought she might die. Then I switched to a better brand cat food and no more throwing up and my one cat has gained her weight back! Unbelievable! Purina, I don't know what you have done to your product but it isn't good.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

A little over a month ago we went to Texas for the weekend (Friday to Monday). I knew the cats could take care of themselves if I left enough food and water for them. I had just bought a new bag of Purina Cat Chow Complete which I have been feeding them since they got grown. (I fed them Purina Kitten Chow when they were little). So I always have fed them Purina with no problems. I won't go into detail about what we found when we got home but let's just say it was all over the house and required A LOT of cleanup. It wasn't long till I knew it was Sweet Pea who was the sick one.

I started researching the Internet to try and determine what might be the cause. Since this was the only symptom she had and it was only after she ate, I ruled out anything disease related and began leaning toward a food allergy. So I changed their food to Meow Mix. She still would get sick after eating but had less frequent episodes. After reading comments on the internet about how dry food may cause this symptom, especially if the cat does not drink enough water, I decided to try canned food. Bingo, no more symptoms. Problem is you can't leave canned food out for a weekend away.

So I researched what dry food would be best for sensitive stomachs and got an automatic feeder to provide smaller portions over longer intervals hoping that this would still resolve the sickness issue and still allow me to leave them for a few days. Lots of comments said Purina One Smart Blend for Sensitive Systems was good. So I got a bag of it and filled up the auto feeder. I fed them a small amount of canned food and set the feeder to drop a small portion of the new food later. Canned food stayed down great. Feeder drops new dry food later, Sweet Pea eats a little, BAM, Sick again. The confusing thing was that only Sweat Pea was getting sick. Baby Doll was eating the same thing with no problems.

So last night I eliminated ALL dry food and ALL food for 12 hours. I decided to give each of them a SMALL amount of wet canned food and see how things went. No problems. A few hours later, a SMALL amount of wet canned food again. No problems. Again a few more hours later. No problems. So here I am this evening really starting to wonder why this happens only with the dry food and only with Sweet Pea. So I Google fed cat wet food no more vomiting. Here's what came up: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html. So that's the problem. One after another after another of comments as recent as this week of people who have been feeding their cats (and dogs) Purina for years with no problems suddenly having terrible reactions in their pets, some even dying in a matter of hours. And for those with multiple cats, sometimes all were affected and sometimes only some or even one was.

As I read on, I found that Purina recently changed their formula and that, just like me, when people bought a new bag with expiration dates of 2016 containing the new formula instead of the older formula with expiration dates of 2015, that's when the sudden onset of sickness began. So it is a PURINA problem not a dry food problem. My original Cat Chow Complete I had fed them for years was changed and the problems began when I bought a new bag with the new formula. And, of course, the symptoms started again when I fed them PURINA ONE, which probably also contains the new formula. But it appears that this is not just a PURINA thing. There is another complaint page listing the same problems happening just recently with Hills Science Diet, even the prescription only food. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/science_diet.html.

So my plan for now is to feed only wet food in small amounts several times a day since this appears to be agreeing with both of them and they are happy campers again. I am almost tempted to call the news channel and show them these sites and share my story so that others will be aware and not needlessly make their pet sick or worse. But for now I'm sharing with you guys so that if your pet starts to suddenly exhibit these symptoms, you'll know what may be the cause. Hopefully, my little Petey hasn't sustained any permanent damage and hopefully whatever is in this NEW formula will be exposed and removed before any more of our furry family members have to suffer and/or die.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Not sure what the consequences are yet. Just took my cat at 9 pm on a Sunday to be put asleep and catheterized from a urinary blockage. He's always eaten the indoor formula cat chow. Now all of a sudden he's violently ill and I'm reading several complaints. I hope my cat do not die but this is not good at all. I'm very concerned that my cat will die. This is crazy. Bought the food at Family Dollar Store.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

I've always been a bit leery of Purina because they seem to have a lot of problems compared to other brands, but I thought the naturals would be better. I gave my cat the wet food (tuna) in the morning and right after eating, she became sick. She threw up all of the food and then threw up a couple times more during the day. I've been monitoring her in case it wasn't the food but I highly suspect that it was the food. I also noticed that another person in Minnesota posted so I'm wondering if there was a bad batch or something. I've since switched back to Science Diet as my cat has not had issues during the 8 years I've been using it.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

We have lost 3 cats & almost a 4th due to these cat foods: Friskie's grillers, 9 lives, Purina one... The way they suffered was inconceivable... The way they died was like something out of a horror movie. I want to know why these products have not been pulled from the shelves. Why it seems Purina does not care, why isn't the media giving this issue proper attention? I WANT TO KNOW WHY THESE POOR ANIMALS HAVE BEEN MADE TO SUFFER! It's hard enough to lose a pet for any reason, but the devastation this has left… SMH... WHY?! What if some little kid gets a hold of a handful? THEN WHAT PURINA?! WILL YOU TAKE RESPONSIBILITY THEN? Heartbroken pet owners want the TRUTH. We want to KNOW that the food we serve our beloved pets is SAFE or is that asking for too much?!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

I have had my kittens for 2 weeks, started to feed them Kit Kaboodle. Not sure what brand the other owner gave him but he now has bloody stool and drinks lots of water and his stool is runny. So I think I will stop feeding him Kit & Kaboodle after reading all the complaints and take him to the vet.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

We have been buying the Purina Complete dry cat food for our outdoor cats and Purina Indoor dry cat food for our indoor cats. The last bag of Purina Indoor dry food seems to be making our cats sick. They are throwing up all over. When the outdoor cats ran out of food, I gave them some of the Purina Indoor dry food and now, they are throwing up too. Has anyone else experienced this?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Have been feeding my 2 cats Purina 1 products for a long time. They have always been "pukers" as cats can be but things got serious when Country Max was out of the usual dry food I get for them in October, so I bought Purina "Complete." They are litter mates; 13 years old, so yes, they are/were seniors. Anyway, they loved this new food, chowed it down, whatever they make it with. They loved this stuff. After a few weeks, they really started puking, particularly the smaller guy. He became lethargic; just not himself at all. Took him to the vets and when she came in with the lab results, the only advice they could give me was euthanasia. His kidneys shut down completely; couldn't even quantify some of the lab values because they were so high. In all fairness, he probably already had a chronic kidney problem. Pissed a lot and drank a lot of water; I thought that was good, (good for humans) but for cats, just the opposite. Too late now. I tried to keep him comfortable, but in a couple of days, it was clear who was being the "pussy" because who wants to give up on a pet they love.... But, he was a zombie... And so I just had bite it and put him to sleep.

Two weeks later, his brother stopped eating and drinking. Diagnosed with pancreatitis. So far, I've managed to keep this guy alive with subcutaneous fluids, a myriad of pills, and keeping fingers crossed. He is actually eating a bit now. He lost about 2 pounds, not good. Who knows, maybe he'll be alright. I mentioned the food change to the vet and they didn't seem alarmed, but I got rid of the bag just the same. Bought some IAMS. Then I found this blog. Just be careful all of you; I know a lot people that feed their dogs and cats Purina products all the time with no problems, but you'll see that a lot of the complaints in this blog are very recent and concern both dogs and cats. Just be careful.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

I AM OUTRAGED!!! After buying a box of Deli Cat on Saturday, November 29, 2014 from Family Dollar and a bag of Kit & Kaboodle on Sunday, November 30, 2014 - all five of my cats began vomiting culminating in my researching for a recall. I see now that other cats have recently died. My five cats were healthy ranging in age from 5-16 years old. I have trusted Purina Cat foods for over 40 years and never have had this grave of an issue. If any of my cats die, I will be suing the company. I have already contacted an attorney. Deli Cat UPS 17800 03406 - Expiration March 2016, Lot #42526001 0804 L09. Kit & Kaboodle UPS code 17800-14098 - Expiration date May 2016, Lot #43231079 1629L11.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

My 4 cats have been on Purina Pro Finesse Chicken and Liver canned food for years. Over Thanksgiving, one of them got sick and was vomiting. She also stopped eating. Then 2 more got sick, vomited and wouldn't eat or drink. 2 are slowly making a comeback, so far but the first one that got sick is getting worse and is in the hospital as I write this getting IV fluids. She is only 4 years old. Praying she makes it as she is the sweetest cat I've ever had. The food is the only thing they have all had that was a common element and after reading the other comments, I feel certain it is the food that is killing my baby.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

My dog has been sick the past few days. She throws up and vomits, she also isn't eating. I hope I can save my pup! I have switched her food. Does anyone have any tips of how to change their food? I believe we all need to report and post here so something can be done about this.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

Our cats have always eaten Purina Indoor Formula until now. Last week when I opened the new bag, they acted like they didn't like it but they did eat it. Within days of beginning to eat the food they became violently sick - projectile vomit, bloody diarrhea. Monday after work 2 of our cats were very unresponsive so we took them to Long Beach Animal Hospital. Unfortunately we could not afford tests done and they did not tell us of the care credit option. We brought them home after they had received subcutaneous fluids and medications to stop the vomiting.

The instructions were clear liquids, homemade chicken broth with no spices, etc. They felt this was food based issues. So, Tuesday I spent every 2 hours giving liquids to 2 cats via a syringe because they refused to eat or even drink water on their own. Tuesday night, Shadow, the healthier of the two slept between me and Doug, swaddled in my arms. When we woke up Wednesday, she had died in my arms through the night.

Sister, the second ill cat was getting weaker. I did what I had been instructed and kept giving her clear liquids, via syringe orally. Friday she was very unresponsive, EXTREMELY cold and very stiff. I rushed her to Lakewood Animal Hospital around 9 pm or a little later. She was in critical condition and required a blood transfusion. After over 14 hours or so of receiving constant fluids via IV and the proper medications, she was released to me to take home in very serious condition still. She has a follow up Wednesday. What I learned is that she had bleeding ulcers from FOOD that lead to kidney failure. When I had first taken her in, she WAS a candidate to be put to sleep. She was just that sick. I refused to give up on her. That was not an option for me.

Once I came home and started researching the particular food I have used for years, I was shocked and very upset. All of our cats have eaten Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula - all of their life. The bag that is currently open IS contaminated and is what made all 6 of our cats very sick. I did not know this when I reordered their food from Walmart.com last week. The new bag arrived today. I have been reading complaints about this particular food for the last few hours. There are Facebook pages about Purina food killing dogs. People who have lost cats have also posted to this page.

I checked the FDA site but can find NO recalls on this food. The common theme of the complaints is that Purina recently changed their formula and since that change, animals are dying. I did find an EXTENSIVE list of posts about this issue. I lost a 9 month old baby and am keeping a second alive by being a vet tech to her at home because I simply could not afford to leave her in the hospital more than 1 day. Her bill for last night alone was $2200 and I have to take her back for her follow up Wednesday. Sister, the cat that has lived so far will be on pepcid for the rest of her life. The vet gave me a fiber based food to give to the rest of my cats to try to flush the toxins from the rest of our cats.

Purina does not seem to care from what I am reading in the posts at consumer affairs and the Facebook page. I contacted them via their chat options on the site and about 15 minutes later, a rep called me and took the complaint. She said someone would be in touch with me within 3 - 5 business days. So now I am waiting on them.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

We were feeding our older cats Blue and we ran out so we started feeding the cats Purina Complete and one or both my cats have been throwing up. Why????

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

I rescued this kitten about 3 weeks ago. He's about 8 or 9 weeks right now. I bought him Purina Kitten Chow Nurture. At first he was his stool was normal. Then it got a little loose. Now he's been having uncontrollable diarrhea for the last 4 days. I seriously didn't think it was the cat food, but that is honestly all it could be, because we've given this to dinner of our kittens in the past. We are changing his diet as of this very second. I am not happy AT ALL!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

When I fed my cat the Friskies dry foods, he frequently got cystitis. We had some bad episodes. For the last three years, I have been feeding Little Friskies Wet Pate food and had no cystitis. I think that some cats just don't drink enough water and the wet food helps. I recently started using Fancy Feast Broths just to make sure they get plenty of juice. All the cats like the canned food and they like a little Iams dry to snack on. This has proved to be a good regimen for my cats. I do think Little Friskies canned has saved my cat's life and it is at a price that I can afford. I do wish that Little Friskies would make more flavors available in the 13 oz. cans.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

After arriving in the States from Canada, we finished off the last cans we'd bought back home and bought a new pack of canned Friskies. Our cat ate the first can (we later found vomit), but refused to eat the second. I thought he didn't like the flavor and left him to eat his dry kibble. The next day I opened another can and he still didn't eat. Then I noticed he had diarrhea. Other than that, he seemed okay. He went outside, ran around and played, but the following day he still didn't eat his can. I started to question the food. I even tasted it... a tiny drop of the gravy from the tip of my fork with the tip of my tongue. While it wasn't enough to actually taste anything, I felt a light burning sensation on my tongue for the next hour. I can only imagine what it did to my cat who actually ate it. Then I read a few of the comments on this site and really got worried. We finally bought the a can of Walmart's Special Kitty and now everything is back to normal.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

My cats do not like the new size, flavor, multi-colored dry CAT chow. This makes me feel like they are starving. I have been trying to get them acquainted, but they eat far less, with far less enthusiasm. Please go back to the original!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information