3.70/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

My 3 cats usually dive into the canned wet food. But the case before and now: they don’t want to eat it. My Bengal is pregnant, she started throwing up and had diarrhea on my bed because she was so weak and lethargic she couldn't make it to the litter box. I took her to the emergency room New Year’s Day. I was told this was the 4th case of cats coming in stomach sick, all were fed Friskies canned food. Is a recall needed? I am switching to boiled chicken and rice. Also I'm returning the case I had bought. Friskies please look into this!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

I have been buying Purina indoor cat food in the green 16 pound bags for years and all had always been good. In November of this year 2014, every time my cats ate it they began to get sick (vomit) I mean everywhere. I have 5 cats and all of them became sick every time they ate. I returned it to the store and told their manager my warning but he said it would be weeks before they would have any results. Just a warning to others out there.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

My dog LOVES this product. Moved in with mom, she has 8 small breed dogs like my dog and they dig through the Pedigree just to get to the little bites. No problems EVER. Store was out of LG bags of little bites, had to buy 55-lb Pedigree. STALE!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I have been feeding Purina Kitten Kaboodle to my cats for 5 years. I do have 13 cats and 2 kittens. I have never had a problem with the food until the last 2 bags I purchased. Five of my cats live in the barn, 4 live inside and 6 outside and in the garage. I have found cat throw up piles everywhere. I guess I will change the food I feed even though I just bought 2 new bags and just started using them. This all started after I started feeding the new bags I just purchased. I looked for a recall on the food and cannot find anything or any info.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I bought my cats purina kits and kaboodles cat food. They got sick hours after eating this cat food. Sadly my little Scottish fold died a day and a half later. She is a very expensive cat and more than that she was my baby. I never loved animal as much as I loved that sweet little baby. When I woke up this morning and found she was dead I have been absolutely devastated all day long. My heart is torn over this! Do not give your animals purina if you don't want to lose them like I lost mine. She didn't last two days. She wasn't just a cat - she was my baby and she was family. The other are cats are still not feeling well. I am so broken I can never have my baby back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

I recently bought a bag of Purina Little Bites, which I've bought before (I tend to buy different dog foods for variety) and never had a problem with my dog eating it. This time my dog refused to eat it. I mentioned it to my daughter, who also has dogs. She asked if it was Purina. I said yes. It was then that she told me she bought a Purina brand dog food for her dogs too, who also refused to eat it. Something is wrong and our dogs know it! I'm throwing out my bag of Purina Little Bites and buying a dog food made by a different company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2015

I have 14 cats that I have been feeding Purina dry food for years. For the past 2 months, my cats, all of them, have started throwing up their food. I have 3 cats that are throwing up blood along with their food. I've had one large vet bill, and the vet cannot understand what is wrong with my cats. So, tomorrow, I will be going to get a different dry food brand and it will NOT be Purina.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

ATTENTION PET LOVERS/ANIMAL OWNERS: After TRUSTING Purina pet foods for years, I completely believe from all the previous posts that Purina

foods have killed, endangered, hurt many of my beloved animals AND my sisters babies as well. I changed from Purina after reading all of the posts at this website.... NO MORE vomiting, NO MORE coughing/diarrhea/sneezing and I hope NOW, no more DEATHS.

I BELIEVE PURINA FOODS HAVE KILLED many of my babies..... dogs and cats alike. HORRIBLE and I am not some 'poor' person who didn't want to spend the money on more expensive food. I TRUSTED PURINA.... but now I see, why should I have done so... bought by the conglomerate NESTLE, it is just one more case of MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.....LET's PUT PURINA and POSSIBLY NESTLE OUT OF BUSINESS...............I have read all these posts and I know there are many people out there who are heartbroken, saddened, broken by what this food and OUR TRUST has done to our TRUSTING, unsuspecting members of our families......

GOD, I pray to you through this post........ Help us expose Purina for you know what the truth is and many of us do not have the money or the time it takes to take on a giant like Nestle who probably have political connections to keep all of this tragedy from being exposed. Those of you on Facebook (I am not), for those of you who are social media experts (I am not), help............Help.............Help us get the word out this week..... Today..... Now about Purina..............

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

My cats have always eaten Purina Friskies wet cat food the Chicken in gravy Prime Fillets. Three weeks ago I bought 24 cans of this food (probably end of Nov or beginning of Dec 2014. When I opened the can and offered it to all 3 cats they all sniffed it and walked away. I thought that was strange because they only wanted that flavor for the past few years. When I looked at the food later I saw they had eaten some of it so I just thought they were being finicky. Busy holiday season and I really didn't give it a lot of thought but noticed they stopped bugging me to eat.

Now my oldest cat, around 13 or 14, has dropped a lot of weight and her 3rd eye started showing on Christmas Eve, I really thought she's getting old but then noticed my Russian Blue started having gas all the time and seems to be acting sluggish and some diarrhea. The third cat is looking rough and her coat is looking bad. She's not acting normal either. As I noticed all of these issues in the past 24 hrs it made me remember how all of the cats turned away from that food and didn't come to eat as they normally would, I thought maybe there's something wrong with the food. Then I read all of these complaints and now I'm thinking all of my cats are eating poisoned food. My husband died a few months ago and I am going to be furious if Purina kills my cats!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

I am extremely upset about Healthy Cat Purina food making our cat sick, vomiting, and such all our just minutes after feeding. Tried experiment, gave older food of different batch, guess what? No vomiting. Conclusion, the batch we are feeding is making her sick . Shame on Purina for not letting us know. We value the life of our cat, do you? We are off Purina and guess what? You got it coming soon. People out there, beware. Don't buy Purina... They don't care if they make your cat sick. I am not a scientist but I know when something is making our cat sick and guess what Purina, you don't, from what I can tell. Rating is minus 5 stars for you and your products. Purchased product from PetSmart. Guess what, they are going to get a call too. Yes I can prove my purchase...

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

The newest batch of canned cat food we have fed to our kitties has been giving them severe diarrhea and overall listless behavior. We purchased the Tuna and egg, the fillet of chicken, the Sea Captain's and the liver and chicken and the cats have really gotten ill from at least one of them. Friskies has been the food of choice for years - but now we want to return it all and switch.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

Our 2 year old female indoor cat has been eating Purina One Smart Blend Indoor Advantage for about 1.5 years with NO issues. Yesterday I bought a new bag of the exact same food from my local Walmart, returned home and filled the cat's bowl around 3:30 pm. Around 10:00 pm our cat began vomiting, a tremendous amount, looked like everything she had eaten in the past few hours had come up, so I removed her food for the night. She slept fine overnight. Around 5:00 am she ate again and within 15 minutes she began vomiting, multiple times until finishing with a few dry heaves. We decided to take her to the vet just to rule out some kind of internal blockage. All diagnostics were normal.

While waiting at the vet's office, my wife and I googled Purina Cat Food issues and to our amazement we found many many reports of the exact same occurrences all over the country. I have also noticed last night and this morning that once she is finished with her vomiting, she seems completely fine; we returned from the vet about 2 hours ago and she seems back to normal.

While I am no expert on food production or quality control, I am a very logical and analytical person and I have deduced through process of elimination that there is absolutely without a doubt something wrong with this batch of cat food. And now after reading about so many of the exact same occurrences for years all over the country, we will be looking for a new brand of cat food.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

I have 2 very healthy active dogs, one is a Chihuahua and the other is a lab. I started using this food about 3 weeks ago and my chi started having seizures and her hind legs were temporarily paralyzed. At first I thought it was just my dog then about 4 days later my large dog had a very bad seizure and temp paralyzed hind legs, I know it is this food causing it, my house and yard are kept very orderly and nothing else had changed besides this food... I looked up consumer affairs with others have the same problem so now I'm out on Christmas eve buying new dog food, stay away from this food.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

I mainly feed my cats Friskies and after reading these complaints I've been leery but kept feeding them anyway. Now I feel horrible for making them sick after I knew about all the complaints. I complained to Purina and they offered to replace the food. Thanks but no thanks, why would I want to feed them more of the same food that made them sick to begin with? I filed a complaint with the FDA and that's what everyone else needs to do. PLEASE report it to the FDA, that's the only way the food will be recalled. If everyone only complains to Purina, nothing will get done and our pets will keep getting sick and dying. PLEASE, PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE FDA.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

We are concerned. Our cat has been eating fancy feast grilled chicken every morning for seven years. She never changes. We bought a case at Wal mart. Suddenly she would not eat it. I gave it to the outside cats, they got sick. We bought it by the single can at a store near us and today she will not eat it again. I believe there is something wrong with this food. The employees at Wal Mart say they will put it back on the shelf. Store policy, so we did not return it but lost our money. Be aware that this food may be bad. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

I have been feeding my cats fancy feast for a year along with Purina indoor for 7 years. I just opened a new 16 pound bag of Purina indoor and my 7 year old cat has been vomiting for 4 days. I bought different flavors of friskies indoor last night and sick again this morning. They had been eating fancy feast fish and shrimp feast and savory salmon feast. I purchased 30 cans from Walmart a few weeks ago and they were not eating it like usual. I thought they were bored with the flavors. Apparently they knew something was wrong. After reading all of these posts they will not be getting any more purina. I purchased the food in a Meijer store. I hope Purina is compensating these people for vet bills and the cost of the food. It is so SAD for those who have lost pets!! They cannot be replaced. I would rate my experience with these products in negative stars but the program won't allow me to.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

Frosty Paws - I have been giving my dog frosty paws for years but twice in a row he had gotten violently ill throwing up. That batch must have been contaminated some how I still have one left but I am not going to feed it to him. I won't buy it any more until you figure out what is wrong with it. Please help because Moose loves that stuff and waits for it by the fridge every night.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

My cats have been eating Purina One Urinary Tract formula after it was discovered that one had crystals forming in his urine. They have been doing so well until recently. I bought a new bag of food and filled the feeder. Since I use a feeder, I check back every few days to see if it needs to be filled. A week passed and I noticed that the food levels had not decreased. I began offering them canned tuna and wet foods but they won't touch either of them. Currently they are both dehydrated, have experienced weight loss and one has developed fatty liver. I contacted Purina with the Lot information and they are supposed to be looking into it. I'm so sad to hear other similar stories, and am convinced that it's the food. I just hope that force feeding them will help.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

We have used this food for 4 months. We bought a new bag. My senior dog a few days after got very sick. Vomit and liquid poo. Went to vet and has lots of bacteria in poo. We got him pills and nursed him back to health. Now my other dog has exact same symptoms. My senior dog refused to eat the Purina anymore but ate a better quality grain free food just fine. Not a happy camper. These are my babies.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

Have been reading about Purina Cat Chow (healthy weight formula) causing vomiting in cats. Expiration date on bag is Feb. 2016. I also feed him the canned food of Fancy Feast Tuna Primavera with Garden Veggies and Greens. Over the past few days I had to switch him to Fancy Feast Medleys Turkey Florentine with garden greens until I could get his Tuna Primavera. Always serve with the Purina Cat Chow on the side. This morning he woke up vomiting and was very lethargic. Husband rushed him to vet who said that my cat had a slight fever. He gave him some hairball malt and sent him home. After reading the prior posts about the dry cat food I am not going to give him anymore. What alternative dry cat food has anyone tried that seems to not be making the cat's sick? Also, has anyone heard any complaints about the Fancy Feast garden green/green veggie wet food? Have they changed the formula in that as well? I will sue to the fullest extent of the law if my baby dies. Please advise as to what dry/wet food ARE NOT making our fur babies sick.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2014

Cat and kitten ill after purina all natural cat chow - Had to take both to the vet after they vomited 3 days. Finally got to the vet and my oldest had to be hydrated, both given shots, fevers of 104.0 and 103.0, oldest lost over 10 lbs within the 3 days. This is no joke. My cats almost died and may still die if I can't come up with the money for blood work. My cats stay indoors. We decided to try out a cheaper brand of food and bamm, it almost cost and hopefully didn't cost their lives. Do not I repeat, do not feed your animals this. Read all the posts. They will get sick and you will not understand why, how or how quickly until it's either too late or you look up the only thing you've changed which will be their diet. Look at the pics. Especially my big cat, he doesn't even look like the same cat any more. He couldn't even walk or stand before I took him to the vet and now slowly, very slowly he it's starting to sit up. Someone is going to have to own up to making my babies sick and get them the help they need as in the blood work and xrays and meds.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2014

We have 3 indoor cats, and 3 indoor/outdoor cats. We have been feeding the Purina Indoor Cat Chow for at least 2 yrs. And now within the last 2 or 3 months we are noticing that our cats are vomiting all over the house. Mostly the vomit is a pile of barely digested food. The pieces are still definable and you can see the individual bits. This is a new in the last few months. I am now trying to find an inexpensive alternative. I’m afraid of trying a different formula from Purina. And I can’t afford to buy Iams or Wellness or Blue Mountain. I just don't want any of my cats to die!!! I hope there is a class action suit against Purina for whatever they have done to their cat and dog foods!!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

I've been feeding my two dogs Purina's Moist and Meaty dog food. At first everything was great. They loved it and ate it up voraciously. Well, it's been about a month, and while they'll still eat it (because they're hungry), I've noticed that now, at some point during the day, they'll throw up. This led me to google if this particular food makes animals sick! I was sickened and saddened to learn that Purina's Moist and Meaty is one of the WORST foods! DON'T BUY IT! No wonder it was on sale at Target 2 boxes for $8.00! I'm now praying that no permanent damage has been done to my sweet, trusting babies! Throwing the "food" away.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

I bought a box of Purina Fancy Feast Cat Food - Elegant Medleys to feed my cats. One cat started throwing up the food and became lethargic, so I looked online and thought that maybe she had a food allergy to this brand. I hadn't bought this particular brand for many months. I continued to feed it to my other cats until today when I noticed that another cat was throwing it up. After reading all of the reviews on this website, I got scared and boxed up all of my Purina products, and there's a lot. I've always trusted Purina, but no more! I'm taking it all back to the store to see if I can get my money back. I spend a LOT on cat food for 5 cats. Please stop them from poisoning our pets!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

I thought I found a great snack for my 4 cats!! They loved it. So I went back to buy more later that week. My cat started throwing up. Shadow NEVER throws up. Whole chunks of snacks in about 3-5 minutes after he ate. 2 days later, we were in the bathroom & he used the litter. Diarrhea & blood!!! I immediate called the vet & took shadow to the vet. Told the story & the dr gave him a probiotic since it seems to have bad bacteria. It's a powder to mix in the food, once a day. OMG!!! Would you believe the name on the package??? PURINA VETERINARY DIETS FORTIFLORA!!!! Feline probiotic nutritional supplement!! My opinion, they don't care about quality because the vet will get you to buy the Purina antidote!!! It's a WIN-WIN for Purina!!! Now I get why NO vet will bad mouth Purina!! Lots of perks & supplies!! I refuse to buy Purina!! The lamb & rice gives my dogs the diarrhea too!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2014

My cat is an indoor cat that doesn't get into anything. She won't even attack a fly. I switched her to Friskies wet canned food and she started to act weird, her skin was getting bad, when I took her to the vet she had inflammation. They thought she was going to die. It was the only thing I had changed, was Friskies wet canned food. I will never use this product again because I believe it's what almost killed my cat.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2014

I have been feeding my dogs and cats Purina for years and have never had a problem with it. Now I see that people are saying their animals are dying from eating it. Is this true? You will have to bury me if I kill my babies with your food. I will sue you for everything you stand for. Please don't kill my babies. My husband died three weeks ago and they have been my rock. Please don't take them away from me!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast as well as Purina Naturals. Both would not feel well with the Beef Flavor Fancy Feast. We changed to mostly Salmon which they seem to enjoy. My two year old started having grand mal seizures which I was told was very rare. We went through a series of tests and the only thing left pretty much was an MRI which was around 2k. After listening to a specialist who mentioned that a lot of research was being done on nutrition and its effect on seizures, I started researching and discovered that my two year old cats bursts of spastic activity and/or the invisible bugs he was going after were actually a mild seizure or pre grand mal seizure. Thunder would get in the state especially after eating the Fancy Feast Salmon.

We stopped feeding them Fancy Feast and his horrific seizures stopped. We no longer have a crazy hyper cat - it has been approximately 6 weeks. We always knew he was incredibly sweet and loving but in my opinion this food not only caused him seizures but altered most of his personality. When I thought it through we would only feed Thunder a quarter of a small can along with the dry - when we adopted a stray I increased the amount to a half a can twice daily because that was what the other two had. With the increase in food the frequency of his seizures increased as well. They were horrible and traumatic for him and for us. We are so glad we figured it out and were able to help him before it was too late.

I am so sorry for those who have lost their beloved furry family member and I hope this helps someone save their pets life. I found another site which a person who lost her cat said she read the nitrates contained in Fancy Feast and other food could possibly be the culprit. My pets will be taken off of all Purina products as I feel the company is missing something major in its willingness to protect our beloved family members. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

Purina Indoor cat food has been fed to my 4 cats for years. Until now. Last week my husband brought home a new bag of Indoor cat food and during the night one by one they began throwing up in almost every room in our home. And then the awful diarrhea began. As I sit here writing this we have one 10 year old very ill and will be taking him to the vet immediately in the morning. If I lose my boy, I will be suing.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

A little over a month ago we went to Texas for the weekend (Friday to Monday). I knew the cats could take care of themselves if I left enough food and water for them. I had just bought a new bag of Purina Cat Chow Complete which I have been feeding them since they got grown. (I fed them Purina Kitten Chow when they were little). So I always have fed them Purina with no problems. I won't go into detail about what we found when we got home but let's just say it was all over the house and required A LOT of cleanup. It wasn't long till I knew it was Sweet Pea who was the sick one.

I started researching the Internet to try and determine what might be the cause. Since this was the only symptom she had and it was only after she ate, I ruled out anything disease related and began leaning toward a food allergy. So I changed their food to Meow Mix. She still would get sick after eating but had less frequent episodes. After reading comments on the internet about how dry food may cause this symptom, especially if the cat does not drink enough water, I decided to try canned food. Bingo, no more symptoms. Problem is you can't leave canned food out for a weekend away.

So I researched what dry food would be best for sensitive stomachs and got an automatic feeder to provide smaller portions over longer intervals hoping that this would still resolve the sickness issue and still allow me to leave them for a few days. Lots of comments said Purina One Smart Blend for Sensitive Systems was good. So I got a bag of it and filled up the auto feeder. I fed them a small amount of canned food and set the feeder to drop a small portion of the new food later. Canned food stayed down great. Feeder drops new dry food later, Sweet Pea eats a little, BAM, Sick again. The confusing thing was that only Sweat Pea was getting sick. Baby Doll was eating the same thing with no problems.

So last night I eliminated ALL dry food and ALL food for 12 hours. I decided to give each of them a SMALL amount of wet canned food and see how things went. No problems. A few hours later, a SMALL amount of wet canned food again. No problems. Again a few more hours later. No problems. So here I am this evening really starting to wonder why this happens only with the dry food and only with Sweet Pea. So I Google fed cat wet food no more vomiting. Here's what came up: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html. So that's the problem. One after another after another of comments as recent as this week of people who have been feeding their cats (and dogs) Purina for years with no problems suddenly having terrible reactions in their pets, some even dying in a matter of hours. And for those with multiple cats, sometimes all were affected and sometimes only some or even one was.

As I read on, I found that Purina recently changed their formula and that, just like me, when people bought a new bag with expiration dates of 2016 containing the new formula instead of the older formula with expiration dates of 2015, that's when the sudden onset of sickness began. So it is a PURINA problem not a dry food problem. My original Cat Chow Complete I had fed them for years was changed and the problems began when I bought a new bag with the new formula. And, of course, the symptoms started again when I fed them PURINA ONE, which probably also contains the new formula. But it appears that this is not just a PURINA thing. There is another complaint page listing the same problems happening just recently with Hills Science Diet, even the prescription only food. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/science_diet.html.

So my plan for now is to feed only wet food in small amounts several times a day since this appears to be agreeing with both of them and they are happy campers again. I am almost tempted to call the news channel and show them these sites and share my story so that others will be aware and not needlessly make their pet sick or worse. But for now I'm sharing with you guys so that if your pet starts to suddenly exhibit these symptoms, you'll know what may be the cause. Hopefully, my little Petey hasn't sustained any permanent damage and hopefully whatever is in this NEW formula will be exposed and removed before any more of our furry family members have to suffer and/or die.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information