2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.32/5

Purina Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We had been feeding our dog this product for about a week and one day we came home and there was bloody poop everywhere. By the time we cleaned it up we looked to our dog's bed and he lied there dead. He was only six months old, very healthy otherwise.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My Australian Shepherd was poisoned by this food 2 years ago! She had internal bleeding and had to be put down thanks to feeding her this food! We lost a family member and I hope Purina gets what they deserve!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

February 9, 2015: I had to put my poodle down for kidney failure. He was 13 but a very healthy active poodle. I fed him Beneful Healthy for months and all the sudden he dropped weight - didn't want to eat, didn't want to play, pee in the house which he never did. He was very well trained. I want my poodle MAX back. He was my family. I WILL NEVER EVER USE PURINA PRODUCTS AGAIN!!! My heart goes out to all who have lost a member of their family because of neglect of the maker of this poisoned food.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We buy Purina Pro for our dogs, we did the switch about 6 months ago. Recently my male boxer 10 years old passed away, the night before he threw up and had been drinking a lot of water. When we found him dead we thought he might of had a heart attack but now 1 week after his death our 11 year old boxer stopped eating, vomiting, lost a total of 10 lbs, high liver and kidney levels and the vets can't figure out what's wrong with him. Could this be a link to the Purina Beneful?? Same producers. Could have same ingredients??? I am so sad and scared because we have 2 other dogs on this food and for it to not be safe scares the heck out of me!! I need answers, help and guidance. My dogs are my babies!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I just heard about Purina's lawsuit. My poodle has been sick since September 2014 with what was thought to believe a bladder or kidney infection which he was treated for then and no longer had blood in urine after medication but has not acted very well or seemed to feel well since then so on Monday 2/23/2015 I took him back to vet and blood work was repeated found liver enzymes was extremely elevated in the 2000 range. Which back in September they were slightly elevated. Now my dog has what is thought by vet to be hepatitis for some unexplained reason. Could me feeding my dog Beneful be the source that caused his liver to be damaged? I am extremely upset over hearing about the dog food having a poison that causes liver damage and now founding out that my little doggy has liver damage. Need to know what can be done.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We have always fed our cats dry food - Purina Cat Chow Complete or Indoor for years. Recently we purchased 2 of the value sized bag of the Complete at Sam's Club. I have noticed that one of our older kitties has regurged every now & then, however in the past couple of weeks it seems to become a daily event with quite a smell along with bile & along with loose bowel movements every time. In the past week I have noticed that he has lost weight & losing a lot of hair & drinks water quite often.

I planned on taking him to the vet however in the meantime I switched him over to the wet Friskies Shreds with gravy that we give to another of our cats that has issues when he eats dry food & in the past 2 days he has not vomited & his stool is starting to firm up & I've begun to wonder if it is the food & found this tonight as I was searching after hearing the Beneful Dog food issues.

I've read these complaints from other owners posted in just the last month. The Symptoms are all related. The symptoms include: loose bowel movements, lethargy, really smelly bowel movements, increased thirst, vomiting. I will be taking him to the vet to get checked out regardless. By the way the other cat that has been on the wet food for over a year- refuses to eat the Beef - which is probably a good thing. I am praying our Lucky will recover from this :( Please let me know what foods you have switched to that are not overly expensive. The Cat Chow complete bags I have has an exp. date of July 2016.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I just read about the class action suit relating to the death of about 4,000 dogs that may be related to the Purina brand Beneful dog food. It may be related to some mold toxins according to the article and is extremely concerning to me due to some issues I had last summer that I feel are related to the Purina One Urinary Tract Health food I had been using for years. I even contacted Purina to see if they had changed their formula and was told they had not. However, now I am questioning the issue again.

My male cat, aged 14, began to experience severe diarrhea problems like never before. I had been using the dry food for about 10 years due to urinary tract issues he has suffered since that time and per recommendation of our regular veterinarian. He was lethargic, was vomiting (he had this issue before as well), and just not behaving right. I finally took him to the vet and, even with medication, the issues did not resolve. We then had blood tests with nothing unusual. The vet then recommended an ultra sound diagnosing possible intestinal issues. The ultra sound found polyps in his intestine and surgery was performed. He is now on steroids for the rest of his life and Hills Science Diet CD wet and dry food. He is fine now.

At the same time, my 15 year old female cat began to get lethargic and would not eat, barely taking water. Her back legs would give out and I would have to take her to the water bowl. After two days of this, over a weekend, I took her in to the vet. She died that day. We attributed it to her age but now I wonder. This happened so quickly and she was fine prior to that. I am sick that it might be the Purina food that both cats ate and am glad I no longer use it. I am seriously questioning Purina's response that the food formula had not changed or that there were toxins in that food.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I have a pit bull that was eating Purina Beneful and I notice that she started being sick and then getting hot spots all on her fur and keep on itching so bad that she was going bald. So we changed her food and she's getting better. It was scary.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My husband told me about the new lawsuit towards Purina tonight. We recently changed one of our cocker spaniel to wellness dog food because she had uncontrollable diarrhea for two days. The vet couldn't explain why so we switched her foods and she was better. Our other cocker spaniel vomits but he's done this for years and also has seizures every now and then. Here lately he has a foul odor despite bathing him weekly. I'm now worried we've been poisoning our dogs for years. We are switching the other cockers food now. Sad purina, I do not trust you anymore.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I fed Beneful to both my dogs and my dog ended up having seizures so bad that meds didn't help and I had to put him down. I then read horrible things online about Beneful so changed food to save my other dog from getting ill.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We raise huskies and our mother started. First we thought that her nursing was just hard on her this time. Over 2 weeks she is nothing but bones even upping her food intake and giving her a nursing supplement then 3 days ago she started having diarrhea, then 2 days ago my other 4 huskies started with diarrhea and the mother started vomiting everything up. We have had them on Purina healthy radiance for months. As of today all dogs are vomiting and having diarrhea and the mom is bones, called vet and instantly removed the food from them. I hope I can save my mother since she is so bad off. This is so sad that you think you are feeding your dogs something healthy and yet it's killing them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We began feeding our cat Purina Beyond dry foods, thinking we were doing a good thing. Our cat became very ill, passing bloody mucus and having diarrhea. We took her to the vet and she had to have a shot to soothe the inflammation in her bowels and we can now only hope she will be alright. I would not recommend this food to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Whenever I give our dog a Pup-peroni treat he throws his food up. After he throws up, he lays around for 2-3 days. He is a very active Jack Russell.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We give my dog the wet food and he got sick. We took him off it and he's gotten better. I made a complaint and all they did was send me some coupons (which I don't need because we will never feed him Purina ever again).

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Both my Miniature Schnauzer and Cocker Spaniel eat Beneful. While we have had not major issues with the Schnauzer, our Cocker has developed severe sores on his shoulder blades that take forever to heal, with more coming up beside what has already healed. Also, he acts ravenous all the time and eats every chance he gets. He too, has a terrible odor, in spite of bathing and grooming. He suffered a stroke prior to the Christmas holiday. The vet suspects thyroid disorder, for which he is going in for blood work. After reading about various similar symptoms and actual deaths of some pets, I am immediately discontinuing use of this food and switching to something else!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I just read there have been problems with Purina dog food and snacks with pets dying. My dog Lucy was fine until Christmas. She ate purina dog food, she started having severe diarrhea, kidney failure, loss of weight. She died of internal bleeding. We did everything we could for her - I was taking her daily to the vet to get meds. I loved her and have been severely depressed over her death. We trust you with feeding our pets.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

I have been personally taking care of 16 - 18 spade and/or neutered felines since 2005. April 2nd, 2012, (almost three years ago). I have personally driven six miles every morning to feed six to eight homeless felines, and will continue. I purchase a lot of purina pet cat food....300 cans every month of friskies. I also purchase approximately six bags (16 lbs), to give to all of them. I have been saving kitten chow bags to redeem points toward free dry food. I have approximately "thirty" empty bags.

Now, purina won't let me register but 6,999 points once per months. It would take almost a year to redeem one bag of dry purina pet cat food. It stinks!!!! Do you know that purina also bought "wagon trail". The pet food made in china and that has killed canines (dogs). Purina says that "your pet, their passion".... Our pet(s) are definitely not purina's passion at all. Purina you definitely stink!!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I have always fed my cats Purina ONE Sensitive Systems and Purina snackers. Off and on for about 4 months now at least one of my cats gets sick after eating the snacks. My cat Obie wouldn't eat for over 2 weeks. Had to feed his broth and plain boiled chicken. He ate very little. Gave him Pedialyte to drink. Really almost didn't make it. Now he is fine but almost everyday 1 of my 5 cats are vomiting or have loose stools after eating their food. Won't give snacks anymore at all. Whats up? Is anything being done?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

My 12 year old Jack Russell terrier was diagnosed in April 2014 with Myasthenia Gravis and mega esophagus. She was then diagnosed with cancer in December 2014. She just passed away on February 17 2015. She ate Beneful dog food for years and the vet told me that the poor quality food and the reports of contaminants in the food were a reason she came down with the diseases. I am on several pages on Facebook where other dog owners whose dogs have the same disorders are now making this same connection. I am grief stricken that I thought I was buying a quality dog food for my dog who was like a daughter to me, but in fact I was poisoning her. Something must be done to protect other animals and owners from having to go through the pain and anguish I am enduring. I have many receipts to show I purchased this dog food!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Our sweet girl had been with us since she was a kitten. We loved her very much. For most of her life she ate Meow Mix. When we made a big move to the island we switched her food to Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. She started losing weight and was constantly itching. We didn't think it could be the food. We thought old age was getting her. Then she had a seizure! Poor baby wasn't able to use her back legs much at all anymore, and all her hair started falling out and literally chunks came off of her leaving her neck a bloody mess. She passed not long after her 3rd seizure. Now researching I see all these symptoms are related to the food we fed her! I'm so frustrated that we didn't find this out sooner! She passed 1-18-15. RIP Miss Purl we will always love and miss you!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

My husband had fed his dog Purina dog chow for years and then one of our dogs started having seizures, not sure why. Then eventually our other dog started having seizures also. So we thought it had to be the food. We switched them off of Purina and put them on a no grain dog food and the seizures stopped and haven't had one since. That has been about 3 years ago.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I was the owner of a loving, playful 8 year old cocker-peekaboo mix who got sick on Friday and died on Monday of liver failure after having eaten Beneful for the previous two weeks. I have agonized over what could have made him sick and the only difference to his routine was eating Beneful dog food.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

The Corgi developed lethargy and malaise. I took him to the vet. His BUN was 140. She recommend that he be euthanized immediately. She asked what I fed my dogs and I told her Purina Beneful. She said that such cases were being reported. Though I stopped the food immediately, it was too late for the Westie, who succumbed with the same symptoms a few months later. Both dogs had eaten the food for a few years. I had no idea I was slowly killing them.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I just got home from the vet, $500.00 later without a real answer. We got a kitten about a week ago and they told us at the shelter that they've been feeding him Purina One Kitten Chow wet and dry. We picked some up. Our 6 year old cat immediately started vomiting... A LOT. Four and five days, without eating. We tried medicine for nausea and appetite stimulants. The kitten started vomiting also. But older cat still has not eaten. They had to give her fluids and put soft ID in a syringe and feed her that way. Then I found this website. What a travesty. Is Purina now farming out to China like everyone else????

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I am very upset with the outcome of feeding my dog this food. My dog is only 4 years old going to be five. Since we have been feeding him this dog food he has had been losing hair all down the back of his legs and on his back with a smell that will not go away after several baths. He also has now a build up of dry skin and vet bills for allergies that medications are not cheap or effective. He all the symptoms of reading the comments that have been filed in the class action lawsuit. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I am very upset with the outcome of feeding my dog this food. My dog is only 4 years old, going to be five. Since we have been feeding him this dog food he has had been losing hair all down the back of his legs and on his back with a smell that will not go away after several baths. He also has now a build up of dry skin and vet bills for allergies that medications are not cheap or effective. He all the symptoms of reading the comments that have been filed in the class action lawsuit. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I had two dogs and all they ever ate was Beneful, 6 months ago I had to put one of them down because she was so sick and we could not figure out why. Lately, the other one has been throwing up a lot and has not been able to eat. I chose Beneful because it was suppose to be good for them. After reading this, I am going to change my dog's food.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Just saw an article my brother in law posted on my Facebook that some dogs have been dying due to toxic levels of substances in their food? Please verify that for me. My dog, Cole, a healthy three year old suddenly started to lose hair and get skin infections. We took him to several vet visits and they treated it the best they could. A month goes by and his skin seem to get worse...Then one day he wouldn't move anymore and was breathing for his life. I listened to him internally and I knew something wasn't sounding right. We called the emergency vet and he ended up dying right before she got there. My concern is that your dog food might have done this? I need answers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We lost our Australian Cattle dog in September 2014, after he was diagnosed with acute kidney failure. He had been fed Purina Beneful exclusively.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

It only took one bag of this to kill both of my Yorkies. We thought it was just old age after our girl Lily, who was only 10, died. But then my other Yorkie, Teddy who was also 10, started getting very ill. He was running into the walls, had diarrhea, and had blood coming out of his bottom. Vet said it was kidney failure. And that once you can see signs of it, it's too late. We thought for sure it was poison. But didn't know who would do such a thing. Then we realized there was a good chance it was the food. It's sad and we miss our babies dearly. They were $2,000 each and we spent tons in vet bills. But that's nothing compared to the pain of losing our babies so close together. Not really sure if there is even anything we can do. It breaks my heart.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information