3.72/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1460 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

It's amazing after reading the experiences with Kirkland. We experienced the same thing but with Purina One Chows. I always thought it was the Chows that killed my dog (weimaraner) and then, two weeks later, my parent's dog (vizsla) but wasn't sure. The experiences you all have described with your dogs on Kirkland were THE same we experienced with ours. It is terrible and so sad! I contacted Purina One (this was in 2011) and they ignored my story. I later read another woman's story (tracing the UPC code) about her 3 golden retrievers who got violently sick and she was linking the food.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

Just started new bag and my big male cat who never throws up and has been eating this food for months and thriving, is suddenly throwing up as soon as he eats. I have tried resting his stomach, changed food and he is still vomiting food up. Seems fine other than he cannot hold food down. I really believe something is wrong with this lot of food!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

I was beginning to blame myself after my 10 years old cat died all of a sudden! I am surprised to read about other pet's owner concerns with Purina's food quality.

I fed my cats Purina brand for over 13 years, one of my cat died the first year, another cat of 12 yrs died two years ago, she was found with a non-invasive tumor 3 years prior to her death, she then died of cancer. I do recall her occasional vomits and obvious poor appetite during the last year of her life!

Yesterday, my 10 year old cat died of a sudden. I do noticed the diarrhea & vomits in the recent years and my cats gets better after their vet prescribe medicine & with a different brand of food for them. Nevertheless, since I have multiple cats, they all ate the same food, I continued to feed them Purina wet/dry food, it seems normal to me that they vomit from time to time! Of course, I only think it's the hairball issue! Now I am really worry, am I slowly killing all my cats because of the Purina food? Oh NO!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

Bought dog food from BJ'S. Looks ok but my dogs got very gassy. This morning my younger dog had pooped all over the down stairs. She won't eat . Throwing up bile and mucus. Tried to get her to eat rice and beef. Has no interest. Wanted to know if anyone else is complaining of issues with their animals. I feed them Purina one healthy weight. The older one is not interested either. She picks out the turkey pieces and puts them on the floor.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

My cat rescue efforts uses Kit & Kaboodle and has for 3 years with no problems. Starting about Fri. or Sat. Jan. 10, 2015 my indoor cats started having vomiting, heaves, diarrhea, non-eating and lethargy. They are not crying or showing pain. One cat appears more lethargic than the others and I am watching her carefully. I purchased a second bag in a different city and the problem persisted so I have removed all product and replaced with a new food. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

As far as I'm concerned, when the lives of people's pets become threatened from using your product, you don't get a second chance. Purina, I will never trust you again. One cat very sick, others will probably be ok. (blue side panel on box): best before oct 2016 42821789 16:32L21 4342.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

DO NOT TRUST THIS BRAND OF FOOD IT IS NO GOOD. Switched to Purina indoor cat food for my baby kitten and he loved it at first! Then about an hour later I realized he wasn't as jumpy and full of energy as he usually was. He then was throwing up all over the house the next day & didn't eat or drink anything at all. This went on for about 3 days. He was extremely weak and couldn't even stand up or catch himself when trying to get off the bed, he would spazz out and start twitching out of nowhere. Sadly we didn't have money to take him to the vet so we decided to give it another day 'cause we were gonna get money soon. We basically forced water into his mouth to keep him from dehydrating, but he refused to take in anymore food, we even bought him his old brand.

Then on the 4th day he kept crying and couldn't move, he tried getting up and collapsed and stayed there without even blinking. We then rushed him to the vet because it seemed extremely bad at that point & he died on the way. The sad thing is when I announced his death, I had another person tell me that his dog had experienced everything my cat did, then passed AFTER eating Purina for the first time. I'm pretty sure as for the rest of the reviews here...they can say the same thing.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2015

I have been buying Purina dog food for at least 15 years. My dogs went from Puppy Chow to Come and Get It. For the last month or more my dogs have all been throwing up and acting lethargic. I know it has to be the food. There is nothing else they have gotten into. I don't know if this is related but two of my dogs have recently started having seizures as well. I can understand 1 dog having a possible seizure but when more than 1 of your animals start having seizures that is just too coincidental especially when they are getting sick after eating! I will be switching to a different brand as my animals are like my children and I am worried about their health! It would devastate me to lose my babies!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

I have been feeding my 2 dogs for about 3 months. I have a Golden and a Black Lab. The Golden is good about eating and looks like he's lost a little weight but not a lot. My Lab is the problem. He was gagging, coughing, and when he walked up steps he had worse episodes. I took him to the vet's and turns out he has a soft trachea plus, which is a genetic disorder. He is way overweight. He weighed 116. Vet told me I need to start walking him to lose weight. I am unable to walk him because of a disability. He has arthritis in his front legs, and his breathing problems, he can't walk very far. I changed my dogs to Purina Light and Healthy about 3 months ago, and my dogs absolutely love it. So far no adverse effects.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Just as was mentioned in previous comments, we use Purina One Urinary Health and Purina One Hairball Formula. Two different cats and two different types of food. With new bags, after eating both cats will throw up. This has proceeded for 2 weeks until after accounting for any other event (hairballs, no; eating something indigestible, no; temporary illness, no). Switched to Trader Joe's cat food as a test and nothing, no barfing, nothing. So IT'S IN THE PURINA!!!! ALERT ALERT!!!! I'm returning bags to Petco and I better get a refund, thank god our kids didn't get KILLED!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

Food was contaminated when purchased -- I purchased a 34 lb. bag of the large breed focus puppy food and there were cobwebs and larvae inside the bag.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

My cat died at the vet Thursday morning, 1/8/15. 3 years old. Showed no symptoms of being sick. We came home to him slumped in the floor, like he'd been hit by a car... though that wasn't possible since he was an indoor cat. After taking him to the vet, the vet told us he had a massive UTI, caused by his food, PURINA, and it was in his blood stream. His urethra was so full of crystals it was like sand. After the Dr worked on him for hours we thought he would live if he could just make it through the night. Alas, he did not make it, and we are devastated to know we had been slowly poisoning him, along with our other 8 furbabies.

One cat was put on medication...is still trying to recover and the others were put on a prescription diet. Apparently it's worse on male animals than females. The vet said he was saddened on how many he deals with, the same way. How can this company still be around killing our pets since 1957? I've started making flyers and passing them out to try and help others. I will never forgive what has happened! FDA approved? Disgusting! Don't feed your pets PURINA!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

Do not feed your cats Purina Friskies Grillers purchased from Walmart 1-8-2015. One cat dead 1-11-15 and my other cat still sick. Vomited til he died blood red. Thanks Purina for killing my cat and the bag is the recalled number from 2012 16 pound bag #50000. Do not feed your cat unless you want them dead.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2015

After eating this dog food, our Boston Terrier immediately experienced a number of very serious problems including liquid stool and vomiting so bad we almost took her to emergency care shortly before Christmas. She also developed a problem with her hind legs where they would shake uncontrollably causing her to fall mid-walk while her leg just pounded the floor. It was heartbreaking. This same behavior was exhibited one other time, oddly it was again during a time when we had run out of her regular food and had purchased ONE. A year ago our dog had a FCE which is a spinal stroke causing her complete paralysis from the neck down. At that time, she was also on this food. It took us some time to understand what was causing it, if we had known, we would have NEVER have given her more of that food.

Over Christmas break 2014, and after 3-4 days of these leg seizures, we thought maybe it was the food. To our SHOCK, as soon as she was taken off it, within 48 hours, the leg spasms cleared up. I'm now convinced it was due to this food AND worry that the food has something in it that is causing these neurological problems. I've seen several other posts stating the same thing happened to their dogs. If you have experienced this, please, let's try to connect. I am starting a page on Facebook called PurinaHurtMyPet. Please look for it, join, and share your story. We need to band together to keep innocent pets from being hurt. I'm so sad that I gave my little dog this food, not once, but several times over the past couple years, when we needed food and couldn't get to the store that carries her normal brand. I just hope that with time, she will get better, she won't have any long standing problems from eating it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

I've always fed my cats different varieties of Friskies canned food. Last weekend I purchased several canned varieties. Everyone scurried to eat the chicken with cheese. I noticed no one ate very much and were checking each other's bowls and kind of turning up their noses. I have had 2 sick kitties; throwing up and diarrhea. I just paid a hefty vet bill. He still has diarrhea and acts like he's hungry. He hasn't eaten in days, but won't eat. He will have to go back tomorrow if he hasn't eaten and or if diarrhea still persists. I looked for a recall on these cans but I don't find any. Someone suggested contact FDA. How is the best way to do this? I am very discouraged. Any good wet food recommendations?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

I'm fairly certain the new Purina Cat Chow - blue bag - killed my cats. We have always fed the same food. Then they switched formulas. Our very first bag of the new formula was purchased about 2 months ago. Within a few days my cat Callie was sick. Started with vomiting, then vomiting bright green bile. Vet had no idea what was causing it. Eventually she quit eating completely and the vomiting stopped. But this was after a couple weeks and the damage was done. She wouldn't eat anything. I had to give her sub q fluids daily and was force feeding her wet cat food. After about a month, her organs were failing and we had to put her to sleep.

Then my other cat, Black. She was 7 years old. We thought at first when she wasn't eating, that she was just depressed. Then she was showing similar symptoms as Callie, and within a week she couldn't breathe - I assume organ failure like Callie - and we had to put her down as well. The ONLY thing that changed was the new formula of cat food. They were both indoor only all of their lives. There was nothing new or dangerous in our house, we have 2 toddlers so there isn't anything they could've gotten into (our house is kid proof so obviously pet proof!). Like I said the vet had no idea. They agreed it started in the stomach, but had no idea with either cat what the cause was. The images below are pictures of the bag that caused the problem. Purina cat chow, expiration Feb 2016.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I recently bought a new bag of Purina One Smart Blend Hairball formula. About the same time my cat, who has been on this food for years began throwing up. Then I realized he had started eating the dog's dry food. Still, didn't dawn on me. Last night I removed the dog food and this morning kitty ate the Purina dry food again, and almost immediately threw it up. I gave him some wet cat food, he was happy and went to sleep. My cat has never thrown up that I can recall. I will not be feeding him any more of this food.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I have been feeding Purina Kitten Kaboodle to my cats for 5 years. I do have 13 cats and 2 kittens. I have never had a problem with the food until the last 2 bags I purchased. Five of my cats live in the barn, 4 live inside and 6 outside and in the garage. I have found cat throw up piles everywhere. I guess I will change the food I feed even though I just bought 2 new bags and just started using them. This all started after I started feeding the new bags I just purchased. I looked for a recall on the food and cannot find anything or any info.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I bought my cats purina kits and kaboodles cat food. They got sick hours after eating this cat food. Sadly my little Scottish fold died a day and a half later. She is a very expensive cat and more than that she was my baby. I never loved animal as much as I loved that sweet little baby. When I woke up this morning and found she was dead I have been absolutely devastated all day long. My heart is torn over this! Do not give your animals purina if you don't want to lose them like I lost mine. She didn't last two days. She wasn't just a cat - she was my baby and she was family. The other are cats are still not feeling well. I am so broken I can never have my baby back.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2015

I have 14 cats that I have been feeding Purina dry food for years. For the past 2 months, my cats, all of them, have started throwing up their food. I have 3 cats that are throwing up blood along with their food. I've had one large vet bill, and the vet cannot understand what is wrong with my cats. So, tomorrow, I will be going to get a different dry food brand and it will NOT be Purina.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

On December 12, I picked up my beautiful, healthy 8-week-old Jack Russell Terrier puppy at the airport. I got her from a reputable breeder in Oklahoma whom I bought a pup from 3 years ago and was so excited to be adding a new baby sister to my pack. She was sent with a large Ziploc bag of Purina Puppy chow from the breeder so that I could gradually change her diet if I chose to do so. She was certified to be in good health by the veterinarian who signed the travel documents. She was very active and happy, a perfect little rascal.

Then, within a few days she stopped eating and became very lethargic. By the next day she was vomiting and had a very dark sticky stool. I called the veterinarian here in Marana and he said to bring her in since her symptoms could have been due to a number of things. When I took her in she was in real bad shape, I wasn't sure she would make it through the day. Since it was during the holidays he gave me some fluids and antibiotic with instructions to treat her at Home. Even though he couldn't say for sure what it was that was making her so sick but the treatment was aimed at preventing dehydration and infection until the vomiting and diarrhea stopped.

She was getting better, very slowly, and began drinking water again after a few days although she was still vomiting clear fluid several times a day and was very weak and was losing weight rapidly. Then she seemed to be improving after about 10 days she stopped vomiting and even got her appetite back enough to eat small amounts of food for about a day. After I thought she was actually slowly recovering, she took a turn for the worse and had frequent bouts of dark black watery diarrhea that continued for about 3 days. She never stopped drinking water on her own even with the subcutaneous fluid injections that I was administering every 4-6 hours. She never ate more than a tablespoon of food even after the diarrhea stopped (stool went back to black and sticky like glue).

She continued to get weaker until on New Year's Eve she couldn't walk more than a few steps without stopping and resting. She became more lethargic and then unresponsive. I was going to take her to the emergency vet clinic when she cried out in terrible pain and laid down with her legs stiff and just staring into space. I held her and wrapped her in a blanket because she was shivering. I told her to keep fighting, that the doctor would make her well again very soon and that I was not going to give up on her because I loved her so much and that she was such a brave little girl. Then my beloved Picabo slipped away and her suffering ended.

Mine has not. I am not sure that I will ever get over the fact that my sweet little puppy's life was gone before she even got to begin her journey to a healthy, happy very much loved member of our family. Now I am going to find out how many of her siblings have also suffered this fate. I am praying that none of them went through the hell I so helplessly witnessed over the last two weeks. If I find out that Purina was responsible, and the information I am receiving is overwhelmingly pointing in that direction, I promise I will take any action necessary to hold them accountable and seek restitution for this preventable, senseless, UNBELIEVABLY, UNBEARABLE LOSS!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

My 3 cats usually dive into the canned wet food. But the case before and now: they don’t want to eat it. My Bengal is pregnant, she started throwing up and had diarrhea on my bed because she was so weak and lethargic she couldn't make it to the litter box. I took her to the emergency room New Year’s Day. I was told this was the 4th case of cats coming in stomach sick, all were fed Friskies canned food. Is a recall needed? I am switching to boiled chicken and rice. Also I'm returning the case I had bought. Friskies please look into this!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

About one month ago I purchased a 35LB bag of dry Purina Pro Plan Savor Adult Shredded Blend. I didn't really notice anything when I opened it and I had never had this different kind before. We always buy the Purina One with Lamb. Our dogs started throwing up. So I went out to the closet and looked at the dog food and the large (Lamb) pieces had these white looking cobwebs on them. So I broke several open and they were teaming with live worms. I called Purina and she said "oh that is typical for grain foods. I will send you Coupons." I DON'T want coupons. Purina has a BIG Quality Control issue, and they need to correct it asap before they make an animal sick or even worse kill a loved animal. Bar Code # on bag is 38100 13063. I've contacted BBB, FDA and I've sent samples to Purina. PLEASE, PLEASE exam and break food particles apart when buying dry pet foods.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

I have been buying Purina indoor cat food in the green 16 pound bags for years and all had always been good. In November of this year 2014, every time my cats ate it they began to get sick (vomit) I mean everywhere. I have 5 cats and all of them became sick every time they ate. I returned it to the store and told their manager my warning but he said it would be weeks before they would have any results. Just a warning to others out there.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

My dog LOVES this product. Moved in with mom, she has 8 small breed dogs like my dog and they dig through the Pedigree just to get to the little bites. No problems EVER. Store was out of LG bags of little bites, had to buy 55-lb Pedigree. STALE!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

I recently bought a bag of Purina Little Bites, which I've bought before (I tend to buy different dog foods for variety) and never had a problem with my dog eating it. This time my dog refused to eat it. I mentioned it to my daughter, who also has dogs. She asked if it was Purina. I said yes. It was then that she told me she bought a Purina brand dog food for her dogs too, who also refused to eat it. Something is wrong and our dogs know it! I'm throwing out my bag of Purina Little Bites and buying a dog food made by a different company.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

I have been feeding my cats fancy feast for a year along with Purina indoor for 7 years. I just opened a new 16 pound bag of Purina indoor and my 7 year old cat has been vomiting for 4 days. I bought different flavors of friskies indoor last night and sick again this morning. They had been eating fancy feast fish and shrimp feast and savory salmon feast. I purchased 30 cans from Walmart a few weeks ago and they were not eating it like usual. I thought they were bored with the flavors. Apparently they knew something was wrong. After reading all of these posts they will not be getting any more purina. I purchased the food in a Meijer store. I hope Purina is compensating these people for vet bills and the cost of the food. It is so SAD for those who have lost pets!! They cannot be replaced. I would rate my experience with these products in negative stars but the program won't allow me to.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

ATTENTION PET LOVERS/ANIMAL OWNERS: After TRUSTING Purina pet foods for years, I completely believe from all the previous posts that Purina

foods have killed, endangered, hurt many of my beloved animals AND my sisters babies as well. I changed from Purina after reading all of the posts at this website.... NO MORE vomiting, NO MORE coughing/diarrhea/sneezing and I hope NOW, no more DEATHS.

I BELIEVE PURINA FOODS HAVE KILLED many of my babies..... dogs and cats alike. HORRIBLE and I am not some 'poor' person who didn't want to spend the money on more expensive food. I TRUSTED PURINA.... but now I see, why should I have done so... bought by the conglomerate NESTLE, it is just one more case of MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.....LET's PUT PURINA and POSSIBLY NESTLE OUT OF BUSINESS...............I have read all these posts and I know there are many people out there who are heartbroken, saddened, broken by what this food and OUR TRUST has done to our TRUSTING, unsuspecting members of our families......

GOD, I pray to you through this post........ Help us expose Purina for you know what the truth is and many of us do not have the money or the time it takes to take on a giant like Nestle who probably have political connections to keep all of this tragedy from being exposed. Those of you on Facebook (I am not), for those of you who are social media experts (I am not), help............Help.............Help us get the word out this week..... Today..... Now about Purina..............

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

My cats have always eaten Purina Friskies wet cat food the Chicken in gravy Prime Fillets. Three weeks ago I bought 24 cans of this food (probably end of Nov or beginning of Dec 2014. When I opened the can and offered it to all 3 cats they all sniffed it and walked away. I thought that was strange because they only wanted that flavor for the past few years. When I looked at the food later I saw they had eaten some of it so I just thought they were being finicky. Busy holiday season and I really didn't give it a lot of thought but noticed they stopped bugging me to eat.

Now my oldest cat, around 13 or 14, has dropped a lot of weight and her 3rd eye started showing on Christmas Eve, I really thought she's getting old but then noticed my Russian Blue started having gas all the time and seems to be acting sluggish and some diarrhea. The third cat is looking rough and her coat is looking bad. She's not acting normal either. As I noticed all of these issues in the past 24 hrs it made me remember how all of the cats turned away from that food and didn't come to eat as they normally would, I thought maybe there's something wrong with the food. Then I read all of these complaints and now I'm thinking all of my cats are eating poisoned food. My husband died a few months ago and I am going to be furious if Purina kills my cats!!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

Have been reading about Purina Cat Chow (healthy weight formula) causing vomiting in cats. Expiration date on bag is Feb. 2016. I also feed him the canned food of Fancy Feast Tuna Primavera with Garden Veggies and Greens. Over the past few days I had to switch him to Fancy Feast Medleys Turkey Florentine with garden greens until I could get his Tuna Primavera. Always serve with the Purina Cat Chow on the side. This morning he woke up vomiting and was very lethargic. Husband rushed him to vet who said that my cat had a slight fever. He gave him some hairball malt and sent him home. After reading the prior posts about the dry cat food I am not going to give him anymore. What alternative dry cat food has anyone tried that seems to not be making the cat's sick? Also, has anyone heard any complaints about the Fancy Feast garden green/green veggie wet food? Have they changed the formula in that as well? I will sue to the fullest extent of the law if my baby dies. Please advise as to what dry/wet food ARE NOT making our fur babies sick.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information