2. Pets

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

Switched from some store brand I used for my other dogs. No problems but rescued a Rott mix and he was sick all the time. Switched to Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food... for sensitive stomach. Been better for 5 years. Try if your dog has problems.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

After reading some of the comments, I'm extremely concerned! My cat is under going treatment for either a liver or kidney infection (the vet is unsure where the infection is coming from), high fevers, low appetite, etc. She is only 3 years old and was completely healthy until we started feeding her the Purina One cat food! In a matter of days, her vet bill has gone over $1000, she is our baby though and we want her healthy! This makes me sick to my stomach to read these comments, especially after the vet said it was ok for her to continue eating this food!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My dog is ill... whining when she moves... no energy and picks pieces out of the bowl. Now I know!!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My cat got sick after feeding Friskies dry food. Dehydrated, loose bowels, vomiting, after 10 days she died in my arms. What could of possibly have caused this? What is in the food? I believe in Purina - my dogs eat Purina One. Please help me understand... Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My dog has been vomiting last two days. When I stopped feeding her the dog food she seemed better. As a consumer I am so upset and will never buy this product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

Goofy is a 5 years old mix pit bull/American bulldog. It was a goofy dog. On Christmas day he vomit blood for first time. On 12/30/2014 was gasping for oxygen around 6am. I took him to the vet and he treat him for allergies. All his body have bump prescribe antibiotic and gave him a shot for itching. But Goofy it got worse then took him back and he prescribe two antibiotic it Goofy refused to take it. I took him to another vet and he told me, "I never see nothing like this. You better put him to sleep." I was agreed to do it, but then change my mind and took him back home.

Later that day I called the vet, and I asked if he can give Goofy a antibiotic shot and do a x-ray. I went back Tuesday 2/24/15 inside his mouth have sores and his intestines are almost closed for the inflammation and sores in his stomach. He is very sick. He look like rescue dog. He is my baby. Look his picture before and after. I wish he can get better. He continue with diarrhea, loss appetite 5 years eating Purina chow dog. Please said a pray for Goofy.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

We have cats at home, as well as take care of stray cat colonies (TNR) in our community. For our colonies, we use cheap brands such as Friskies to be able to afford to keep the kitties fed and "healthy". I have a male cat, 7 years old, formerly a street cat, who loves Friskies dry food. We would always let him eat a bit when we prepare the food for our stray colonies, but we try to keep it to a minimum because over the past two years, he would throw up each and every kibble that was not a better quality brand.

We thought it might have been a food allergy or maybe he was eating too fast - bottom line, we didn't think much of it till January 30, 2015. My husband let our cats "steal" some Friskies snacks, including our male cat. As usual, the vomiting followed, but instead of one pile, there were more. Later, we would discover similar vomit piles at our stray cat colony fed from the same batch of dry kibbles. There was also diarrhea of a darker color. My cat would not eat that night.

The following day, my cat was hiding, he seemed spaced out, he was not himself. He stared at the wall, wide eyed, following things that just weren't there. He would not eat, but he would try to drink water - nonstop. The emphasis on "trying", cause at time he would only hover over the bowl till his chin dipped into the water. Something was up. Naturally, we thought of a urinary tract issue and we took him to the emergency vet. The bladder was empty and seemed alright. Blood work seemed still alright with a few things not pointing into any particular direction such as pancreatitis and so on. The Total Bilirubin was elevated (1.9, normal 0-0.9) and so was the Glucose. The vet noticed that my cat seemed to have abdominal pain. X-rays were normal.

We got something for inflammation and nausea and were send home for the time being. The following day, he still wouldn't eat although we bought and opened up any cat food we could find in the stores (Oh the irony when he vet suggested to let him eat the cheap stuff if he likes it so much so that he gets the calories from it). We had to start force-feeding, but it was not enough. Jaundice set in. First day of February, we were back at the vet. This time, he had developed a high fever, 104.6. He got antibiotics, vitamins, appetite stimulants and so on. The white of his eyes started to yellow. Our vet was speechless. He has been treating our cat for many years now and he could not explain what was going on.

Did he eat something weird? Something poisonous? I didn't think so, just cat food. He is indoor only. See, when large cats lose appetite for whatever reason, if they don't eat, the liver starts to fail doing its job. We force-fed him with Royal Canin Babycat or Recovery (both are high in calories) as well as with a Calorie Booster. At day three of total loss of appetite, he was scheduled for a feeding tube. All night long, we tried relentlessly to get food into him to avoid the procedure. Then, thank lord, somewhere early in the morning, he walked to his food bowl and started to eat. Recovery was slow and but he seems to be doing fine now.

I thought I would lose my cat. You see, I am not that kind person jumping to conclusions. Anything could have caused whatever was going on with my cat. I buy high quality food for my cats because I am suspicious of the many "ingredients and supplements" of cheap brands that buy their goods from Asian countries with laughable laws in regards to the environment, safety and any other health concern. Yet, I find it highly suspicious of reading very similar stories of pets that are lethargic, feverish, vomit, and have diarrhea after eating Purina Pet food. Pets that are in need of emergency care after a meal. We will no longer buy any Purina pet food product (not even for the TNR projects), till this will be sorted out in the lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I bought the Beneful from Petco and just picked up some from Sams club. Now my dogs both have bloody diarrhea, uncontrollable. Not only is my dog sick, finally somewhat recovering, my carpet is totaled from all the dog diarrhea. Nothing is like was waking up to puddles of dog crap.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I have a jack russel-pug and chihuahua and have been feeding them Purina One lamb and rice for several years. The jack pug mix has some stomach issues or so I thought. For a few years, at least 3x a week she will come out in the morning for her food, walk over to the dish, smell it and walk away. She will eat later in the evening on these occasions but she usually throws the food back up shortly after she eats it. On these occasions she has trouble going to the bathroom.

A little over a year ago she had some instances of blood in her stool (each time a 500 vet bill with no conclusion). A few months ago she had a seizure, my husband had to carry her in from her walk. She could not control her limbs. The chihuahua has some food issues every 6 weeks or so, where he won't eat (and he is a CHOW hound) and when he does he will throw up after eating. The jack mix is 9 years old and has suffered 3 terrifying seizures,. The vet told us it is rare for dogs to start having seizures at her age.

Once the Beneful stories started to circulate I decided to switch to a different food on the off chance it might be the food! All I can say is I switched to a brand by Rachael Ray (the main reason I choose it was because it only lists 6 ingredients, no by-products, filler, soy, corn or wheat.) She runs to her dish in the morning (she has not done this since she was a puppy) - she eats all her food every morning, her bowel movements are normal and she has not thrown up in 2 weeks. I feel guilty for not figuring this out sooner. I trusted Purina but then again I used to trust human food too. Bottom line shame on big business period, after all they feed us poison why should I expect better for our pets!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I've been wondering why my dog has been vomiting every night for the past 2 weeks. Now I finally have an answer, Purina food poisoning!! We already spent hundreds of dollars at the vet for x-rays and medication. I'm really not impressed with Purina right now, hopefully my dog starts feeling better soon.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

Back in November 2014 bought 1 package of Purina dog snacks.. twists for with hopes of giving dog better breath. My small dog became violently ill, vomiting for 3 days, unable to eat, lethargic, listless, looked like he was on his death bed. He pulled through on his own but I thought he was going to die... my husband and I used process of elimination and believed it was the treats, never had these treats before and never will again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

Purina OM - After reading various critical comments of dog owners about Purina dr dog food may be causing health problems in their dogs, the similar health issues were described by our vet found in our elder dog. She was vomiting, diarrhea, and had liver issues...possibly Cancer or hepatitis. We had to have her put down last April.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I bought my cats Felix brand. As good as it looks...sensations (what a joke!) the so-called "meat" is like rubber! My cats will not eat it apart from the jelly-like substance that is mixed in with it. I think these food manufacturers should be investigated as the "FOOD" our pets are expected to consume is appalling and I am not the only one as I have spoken to other pet owners who has had the same experience. This needs to be investigated now! Plus this muck they call food is not exactly cheap!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

Fed my dog Purina and couldn't understand my dog's hair was falling out and her vet said it was the dog food. I was pissed, needless to say. So I changed his dog food up and he was fine. I paid 1000.00 dollars for the dog and figured Purina was the best - boy was I wrong.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My dog started out losing his hair a few years ago. Took to the vet and they thought it was an allergy and give him Claritin. This past few months he started losing weight excessively. Took him to the vet and within a few days he died. Reading everyone's complaints he experienced the same symptoms, hair loss, weight loss, an odor, threw up blood and very weak. The vet said he was experiencing signs of poison. I have been feeding my animals Purina and believe it's the same as everyone else.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My dog had passed away in 2011 at the age of 2. He had been eating Purina dog food regularly. He started getting sick. Fever bloating, diarrhea and vomiting up his stool. I brought him in to the vet, lots of different test were taken and there wasn't much they could do. He had internal bleeding and his organs were shutting down. 1 week later he passed away, fluid filled into his lungs. I do blame this food for his death. He was healthy prior to eating the food.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I bought my dog Purina food for the first time ever thinking she was getting hefty. I bought the Weight Control product immediately. She started having stool as black as tar, throwing up at all times. She's been real lethargic and I'm pretty sure it is because of the food. My as advice: if you love your dog don't feed it Purina anything not even treats. I threw those out. Also never will I buy anything Purina. Buy Rachel Ray's grain free good decent at a decent price. Food's no fillers like Purina's all corn diet. Remember if your dog was in the wild he'd be eating meat not corn.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I feed my cat Purina canned food. I check here various times a month to get a heads up on possible problems and concerns about the food. Most of the complaints here are USELESS because they do not name the specific name of the food or the code on the bottom of the can/bag. It's very important because someone can be feeding that food and their cat/dog is completely fine. They could be feeding a different batch - one before or after the one that made your pet sick! So your warnings are useless without this information. How to read Purina code: Best by Dec. 2016; 43431160 (first eight numbers are IMPORTANT); 4 = year 2014; 343 = Julian date; 1160 = the plant the food is made (I believe there are 27 plants). Please give specific name of food and code so we can believe you are legit.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We had been feeding our dog this product for about a week and one day we came home and there was bloody poop everywhere. By the time we cleaned it up we looked to our dog's bed and he lied there dead. He was only six months old, very healthy otherwise.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My Australian Shepherd was poisoned by this food 2 years ago! She had internal bleeding and had to be put down thanks to feeding her this food! We lost a family member and I hope Purina gets what they deserve!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

February 9, 2015: I had to put my poodle down for kidney failure. He was 13 but a very healthy active poodle. I fed him Beneful Healthy for months and all the sudden he dropped weight - didn't want to eat, didn't want to play, pee in the house which he never did. He was very well trained. I want my poodle MAX back. He was my family. I WILL NEVER EVER USE PURINA PRODUCTS AGAIN!!! My heart goes out to all who have lost a member of their family because of neglect of the maker of this poisoned food.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We buy Purina Pro for our dogs, we did the switch about 6 months ago. Recently my male boxer 10 years old passed away, the night before he threw up and had been drinking a lot of water. When we found him dead we thought he might of had a heart attack but now 1 week after his death our 11 year old boxer stopped eating, vomiting, lost a total of 10 lbs, high liver and kidney levels and the vets can't figure out what's wrong with him. Could this be a link to the Purina Beneful?? Same producers. Could have same ingredients??? I am so sad and scared because we have 2 other dogs on this food and for it to not be safe scares the heck out of me!! I need answers, help and guidance. My dogs are my babies!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I just heard about Purina's lawsuit. My poodle has been sick since September 2014 with what was thought to believe a bladder or kidney infection which he was treated for then and no longer had blood in urine after medication but has not acted very well or seemed to feel well since then so on Monday 2/23/2015 I took him back to vet and blood work was repeated found liver enzymes was extremely elevated in the 2000 range. Which back in September they were slightly elevated. Now my dog has what is thought by vet to be hepatitis for some unexplained reason. Could me feeding my dog Beneful be the source that caused his liver to be damaged? I am extremely upset over hearing about the dog food having a poison that causes liver damage and now founding out that my little doggy has liver damage. Need to know what can be done.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

We have always fed our cats dry food - Purina Cat Chow Complete or Indoor for years. Recently we purchased 2 of the value sized bag of the Complete at Sam's Club. I have noticed that one of our older kitties has regurged every now & then, however in the past couple of weeks it seems to become a daily event with quite a smell along with bile & along with loose bowel movements every time. In the past week I have noticed that he has lost weight & losing a lot of hair & drinks water quite often.

I planned on taking him to the vet however in the meantime I switched him over to the wet Friskies Shreds with gravy that we give to another of our cats that has issues when he eats dry food & in the past 2 days he has not vomited & his stool is starting to firm up & I've begun to wonder if it is the food & found this tonight as I was searching after hearing the Beneful Dog food issues.

I've read these complaints from other owners posted in just the last month. The Symptoms are all related. The symptoms include: loose bowel movements, lethargy, really smelly bowel movements, increased thirst, vomiting. I will be taking him to the vet to get checked out regardless. By the way the other cat that has been on the wet food for over a year- refuses to eat the Beef - which is probably a good thing. I am praying our Lucky will recover from this :( Please let me know what foods you have switched to that are not overly expensive. The Cat Chow complete bags I have has an exp. date of July 2016.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I just read about the class action suit relating to the death of about 4,000 dogs that may be related to the Purina brand Beneful dog food. It may be related to some mold toxins according to the article and is extremely concerning to me due to some issues I had last summer that I feel are related to the Purina One Urinary Tract Health food I had been using for years. I even contacted Purina to see if they had changed their formula and was told they had not. However, now I am questioning the issue again.

My male cat, aged 14, began to experience severe diarrhea problems like never before. I had been using the dry food for about 10 years due to urinary tract issues he has suffered since that time and per recommendation of our regular veterinarian. He was lethargic, was vomiting (he had this issue before as well), and just not behaving right. I finally took him to the vet and, even with medication, the issues did not resolve. We then had blood tests with nothing unusual. The vet then recommended an ultra sound diagnosing possible intestinal issues. The ultra sound found polyps in his intestine and surgery was performed. He is now on steroids for the rest of his life and Hills Science Diet CD wet and dry food. He is fine now.

At the same time, my 15 year old female cat began to get lethargic and would not eat, barely taking water. Her back legs would give out and I would have to take her to the water bowl. After two days of this, over a weekend, I took her in to the vet. She died that day. We attributed it to her age but now I wonder. This happened so quickly and she was fine prior to that. I am sick that it might be the Purina food that both cats ate and am glad I no longer use it. I am seriously questioning Purina's response that the food formula had not changed or that there were toxins in that food.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I have a pit bull that was eating Purina Beneful and I notice that she started being sick and then getting hot spots all on her fur and keep on itching so bad that she was going bald. So we changed her food and she's getting better. It was scary.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My husband told me about the new lawsuit towards Purina tonight. We recently changed one of our cocker spaniel to wellness dog food because she had uncontrollable diarrhea for two days. The vet couldn't explain why so we switched her foods and she was better. Our other cocker spaniel vomits but he's done this for years and also has seizures every now and then. Here lately he has a foul odor despite bathing him weekly. I'm now worried we've been poisoning our dogs for years. We are switching the other cockers food now. Sad purina, I do not trust you anymore.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I fed Beneful to both my dogs and my dog ended up having seizures so bad that meds didn't help and I had to put him down. I then read horrible things online about Beneful so changed food to save my other dog from getting ill.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We raise huskies and our mother started. First we thought that her nursing was just hard on her this time. Over 2 weeks she is nothing but bones even upping her food intake and giving her a nursing supplement then 3 days ago she started having diarrhea, then 2 days ago my other 4 huskies started with diarrhea and the mother started vomiting everything up. We have had them on Purina healthy radiance for months. As of today all dogs are vomiting and having diarrhea and the mom is bones, called vet and instantly removed the food from them. I hope I can save my mother since she is so bad off. This is so sad that you think you are feeding your dogs something healthy and yet it's killing them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We began feeding our cat Purina Beyond dry foods, thinking we were doing a good thing. Our cat became very ill, passing bloody mucus and having diarrhea. We took her to the vet and she had to have a shot to soothe the inflammation in her bowels and we can now only hope she will be alright. I would not recommend this food to anyone.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information