2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (923 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: March 29, 2015

I had a litter of pit bull puppies back in May 2014. All of them were healthy and vibrant. My last to go was my special boy, Swisher Sweet. Again has always been healthy, no issues whatsoever. His new owners had him for only one week before he passed away. Nothing made sense. This was back in December 2014. Today I finally got a chance to meet with his short-time owner when we began to discuss Swisher. He brought it to my attention that at the time of Swisher's death, he was being fed Purina Beneful. My heart broke all over again today knowing that an animal-based company could be putting out a product that is killing its consumers' beloved pets. Everyday I struggle with this loss being as he was suppose to stay with me. Now the pieces are falling together and hopefully this company is held liable for all these untimely deaths.

Original review: March 29, 2015

We started our boxer on the lamb formula. She ate it very well for several weeks then we started to notice her scratching more. One day her face was bleeding. She had scratched herself so much that caused injuries. We immediately stopped feeding her this dog food since it was the only thing that had changed in recent months. She is now on NutriSource and her skin is gradually improving. She had various bumps and scabs from whatever was in Purina dog food. I am so mad that I believed their hype of being a premium dog food. Only thing premium was a higher price.

Original review: March 29, 2015

I lost 8 cats in less than 2 years by feeding them Purina dry foods. I raised all of them from babies and most were born in my house, I had no idea I was feeding them poison that purina was selling to unknowing customers. They all died from the same damn symptoms, purina is still selling that poison to consumers killing their pets. They need to be held accountable and responsible, made to TAKE THAT POISON OFF THE MARKET.

Original review: March 28, 2015

I just lost my beautiful 9-year-old sheep dog to cancer. The only pet food I ever gave him was Purina brand. He had no history of cancer in his family. His mother and father lived to be 12 with no cancer... My next dog will never go near Purina dog food... I feel it killed my best friend.

Original review: March 26, 2015

Three of our cats, Jack, Pepper, and Junior, have been vomiting quite often in the last couple of days. We first attributed the vomiting to possible hairball issues with the onset of spring, but the vomit does not contain hair. The vomit tends to be a clear, thick, sticky secretion. We've witnessed these three cats vomiting, but that's not to say one of our other five cats aren't contributing to the ever-growing vomit piles around the house. I noticed when I scooped our litter boxes and filled-up the food bowl in the last two days that barely any of the food has been touched. This got me wondering if the food could be the culprit. Nothing else in our cats' lives has changed in the last couple of days, but we just emptied a brand new 16-lb. bag of Purina One Smartblend Chicken and Turkey cat food into our storage bin in the last couple of days. This seems to coincide with the onset of the vomiting.

I went online to see if anyone else is having problems with this product, and have found MANY instances of animals getting sick (with vomiting being the early symptom) from Purina pet food products, and specifically Purina One Smartblend. After reading many online reviews, I will no longer feed our cats with Purina products, and I will also stop feeding Purina's Beneful to our dogs. We will go back to Iams pet food products.

Original review: March 26, 2015

I adopted my first dog a week after I moved out in July. I fed him Purina because I was broke. Two weeks later, he had a seizure. I rushed him to the vet where he was diagnosed with canine epilepsy. I got medicine for him (which we both hated). In December, I switched him off of Purina for Merrick, and he hasn't had a seizure since. No more yucky medicine, either.

Original review: March 24, 2015

My indoor cat was perfectly healthy until I started feeding her a new bag of Purina one when she started to vomit and stopped eating and drinking. Took her to vet and labs normal but when they did an exploratory lap her bowels were abnormally totally silent as if paralyzed. She will probably die.

Original review: March 23, 2015

My cats normally eat dry food. Because one was having food sensitivity issues, I needed to give him wet food to take with prednisone. Both cats ate Fancy Feast fish-based canned food and both became violently ill. I had given them Iams 3 days in a row and they were both fine... It was just when I went cheap and went with Fancy Feast that they got violently ill.

Original review: March 21, 2015

I just started buying the Whisker Lickin's soft and delicious treat for about a month. I trust only Purina. He has ate the tuna and salmon flavor and no problems. I just bought chicken flavor and my poor cat has been nothing vomiting.

Original review: March 20, 2015

The clerk clearly understood that Purina Products and Beneful specifically, are killing and sickening dogs across the country but the chain refuses to remove the poisonous products from the shelves! They also feature many many chew treats imported from China. Some other companies have removed all products from China as a great deal of these are making dogs immediately ill.

Original review: March 19, 2015

I took my almost 2-year-old cat to the vet today and found out that he is having seizures from the food and treats that we have given him. He was raised primarily on Purina but we have had to switch him for his safety. He became lethargic, would have multiple seizures a day, and was not himself. I refuse to give him any more products from this vendor due to these serious events. My cat could have died if we did not catch this as fast as we did today. I am seriously disgusted to find out that they outsource their food production to China now. I will never buy their products again.

Original review: March 18, 2015

Buster was a very healthy and active 8 year old Airedale. Over a 10 day period he started having a breath issue which we thought he must have to have his teeth cleaned. He also slowed down on his water consumption and food [Purina Rice and Chicken] and began eating a lot of snow. On examination of Buster’s teeth we noticed he had bleeding and hemorrhages in his gums and starting to pass blood in his urine. We took Buster to the vet and his blood was quite normal and showing what we thought was a warfarin [rat] poisoning. Started vitamin K and had blood check and was determined to be clear of poison. Within 8 hours our little buddy was in full blown hemorrhage.

When I got him to the vet I was told he only had an hour to live so we did what no pet owner ever wants to do and had him put to sleep. Buster had been on this Purina product for most of his life, its seems a little odd that he would go down so fast right around the time we started a new bag of food. Could be coincidence. Would love to know how to go about having the product tested. If there is an issue in the pet food industry I hope we can get to the bottom of it before we lose any more of our valued companions.

Original review: March 16, 2015

Purchased this food for a couple years. My dog a Cavapoo has always had a easily upset stomach. This food was recommended by our vet. At first it seemed good, resulting in still a acid reflux, but bowel movements were good, timely and solid. I purchased a new bag last week and right away the dog fell ill, throwing up, bowel movement blowouts, very black, totally liquid, then could not control, which he never had that problem. Became lethargic, almost like clouded eyes, little to no attention span, nothing like before.

I stopped the dog food, called Purina after reading about problems with their Beneful brand. Told the dog food was made in Lancaster, Pa. and no problems reported by any others. Well reading on here seemed others are having problems. Your choice but I have waved Purina goodbye forever. I love my dog. It would break my heart if Purina was at fault for his illness. Glad I stopped. He now seems fine but we are making our own dog food now, with chicken, and rice we boil.

Original review: March 16, 2015

Friskies canned cat food in boxes 12-24-36, most are bent. It was packed bent, the neat boxes are still intact. Yesterday, not only bent but leaking food, so contaminated to say the least. Inspection?? Doubtful. They are passing bad stuff to consumers (animals).

Original review: March 15, 2015

My cats have been eating Purina Friskies canned and Purina Naturals dry food for years. A couple of months ago, both cats started vomiting almost daily. I assumed it was their diet, so I changed the canned food first, but they still were getting sick. I then replaced the Naturals with Halo over a week ago, and the vomiting stopped immediately. I emailed Purina this evening, and will see if they contact me. I purchased four 13 pound bags months ago; no receipt.

Original review: March 13, 2015

Purina cat chow healthy weight - In short my cats are dying and they are 6 months old and I have 2 that are 1 year old and the mom to all of them. The only thing I can link this to is the cat food, we recently change to Purina healthy choice indoor cat food. Not saying the food is the cause of 2 of their deaths because I can't afford an autopsy or to have the food check out. Is there any Organization that can help me? I have 4 cats left. I just took the food away from them and will start feeding them something different. Like I said I'm not a vet but something not right and they are dropping like flies. I'm hoping by changing the food it might stop.

Tomorrow I will call a vet because I noticed another kitten acting a little different. I just pray she makes it through the night. This happens quick from when I notice to death maybe 4 to 6 hours. And for those that read this and say take them to the vet, send me the money and I will. I spent a lot on getting their shots and all are spayed and neutered. I cannot afford to take them all to the vet for test, operation, etc. - if I could I would.

Original review: March 12, 2015

I am so disappointed, upset and angry after seeing so many others having the same issues as me. I lost a long time family kitty, Tiger, who after eating Purina for a yr had to be put asleep. He had no health issues before he started losing fur, throwing up, pooping blood, and soon could not hold his bladder or his bm. Not long after my full blooded Himalayan "Pretty Girl" has been suffering from all kinds of cancers, has an extended stomach, fur loss, blood in poop and lots of vomiting. I have four other kitties all with the same symptoms. I am extremely worried about my babies, they are family to me. I just find it funny that so many animals all eating the same food brand are all experiencing the same illnesses!!!

Original review: March 8, 2015

First of all I did not want to write this post. I did not want to put my problems and issues on the web. But when I heard that there may or may not be a problem with what our animals are being fed I knew I owed it to my dog to give any information I had to try and effect a change if needed. I do not want money, sympathy, or anything else from Purina, or anyone reading this I want change where change is needed. I want to be able to trust that when I am buying a product that is meant to nourish and strengthen that it will.

My dog's name was Roman, he was 1 year 3 months old when he died. He had not had any health problems in his short life until the day he died. I had raised him since he was 6 weeks old, and he had eaten Purina since he was old enough to move from puppy food to dog food. I returned home one night from work to find my dog completely non responsive in a pool of his own waste, which stretched through most of my apartment. I took him to the vet. They told me that he had a seizure or seizures and went into a coma. I was forced to put my best friend down. I had opened a new bag of Purina that week. Whether or not that was the cause of his death I do not know.

Original review: March 6, 2015

OMG I wish I'd seen this sooner. Our healthy kitty started vomiting and progressed to a severe illness with huge enlarged kidney and shriveled liver. We had to put him to sleep and now I see this. I'm devastated. We have fed fancy feast and other of their foods. PURINA DID YOU KILL MY KITTY???

Original review: March 5, 2015

I am a breeder of small dogs for 20 years and have always used Purina dog foods and have never had a problem. Yesterday I bought my regular dog food which is Purina Healthy Morsels and Purina Little Bites (I mix them together) and today more than half of my dogs have stomach aches and are eating grass! It concerns me because I have 2 litters nursing.

Original review: March 5, 2015

As a consumer I am very upset by the lack of attention that is being paid by the Purina pet food company. My cat has become deathly ill due to their product and like others it's unfair that our loving pets have to suffer as well as ourselves watching the health of our pets deteriorate so rapidly. I really hope by submitting this review something will be done to at least ease the hearts of those who have been forced to watch their pets suffer or even die from the poison that has been so carelessly been put on the market with no warning what so ever. My deepest condolence to those whose pets had to suffer such a tragic experience. It's simply careless and inhumane on the part of the Purina corporation.

Original review: March 4, 2015

After using Purina Indoor Cat Food for quite a while I purchased the 22-pound size from Walmart and all my cats began throwing up. One died. Don't buy Purina. It could kill your beloved pets.

Original review: March 4, 2015

Normally, my cat eats 9 Lives -- I consider it to be the cat version of junk food, but he loves it and has been on it for most of his life, and I normally halve it with some more "healthy" cat food, like Iams. About 3 weeks ago, I had to buy Purina Cat Chow because the store was out of his regular food, and it was snowing like a banshee outside. I have a 6.5 year old domestic longhair with a vibrant health history (always a good eater, no GI or UTI issues). Solitary, indoor-only animal, not exposed to other animals, and normally very lively. This past week, he went from eating like a champ to complete lethargy, nauseous, and refusing to eat ANYTHING. He was running a fever, so I took him to the vet immediately, as there was a little clear discharge from his eye and nose. He has now been at the vet on IV, steroids for almost a week, and he all of a sudden seems to have IBD or some other gastro-intestinal issue and is being given appetite stimulants to eat...

We are talking about a cat who had throat surgery when he was a kitten and the first thing he did when he came out of anesthesia was eat, so my vet is finding this situation quite alarming and perplexing as there are no dental issues, no masses in the GI tract, no obvious lesions showing in the tests, and all other things seem to be ruled out so far, one by one. The only thing I can wonder is if it was the cat food, as no other causes have been found.... I never want to have to go through this again and I am now incredibly hesitant to ever consider Purina products again after this. I didn't even put it together until one of my co-workers told me to check pet food complaints, and sure enough, I found not only this site, but many others where people have indicated that they have recently had a problem after feeding their pets Purina. I can't prove that this is what made my cat suddenly sick, but I have to wonder...

Original review: March 4, 2015

I switched our cats from iams to cat chow, indoor cat formula. On Feb 2nd my 6 yr old died. She didn't show any signs or symptoms. I noted the other three stopped eating the cat chow, even if was the only thing. They whined at the bowl for almost two days. I bought science diet and they started eating again. I threw the almost full bag of cat chow away didn't even want to donate. I usually don't fall into hype, however after reading so many of these posts I'm positive it was the cat chow.

Original review: March 3, 2015

Made my dogs sick. Stopped using it 2 years ago.

Original review: March 3, 2015

We fed our dogs Purina Beneful dog food for years because they seem to eat it up real fast so figured it was good for them. After a few years started noticing tumors on all of our dogs. Their health started to compromise and all dogs passed with cancerous tumors. Had our house tested for Radon which came back negative and never used toxic chemicals or flea chemicals on them. They even had filtered water and we're all inside dogs. We only gave them the by law required vaccines. These dogs were not related at all. Never even thought of the dog food that we were feeding our fur babies to be the cause of their tumors and Dx cancer, 1 was even metastatic. My husband and I had dogs our entire life that lived long healthy lives and never had 1 tumor on them. We never even used chemicals on our lawn.

After researching The Purina dog food which was WHAT they ate everyday for years I'm seeing all the lawsuits against them and what they use in their food I can see where their food has the potential to cause cancer. I WILL NEVER EVER GIVE MY DOGS ANY PURINA FOOD AT ALL EVER!!!! I hope that people with pets get this information and switch to healthy dog food, made from companies that care, before it's too late. I am using Zignature dog food currently which my new pets seem to be doing good on and am going to start making my own dog food. Please please research your pet's food. It broke my heart when my pets died from these cancerous tumors. That were Dx cancerous from our vet!

Original review: March 3, 2015

8 months ago I was feeding my dog Purina Home Style Dog Food the small bag. My dog Bella became sick. She stopped eating, became dehydrated and weak. At that time, I took her to the vet. The vet stated that Bella had a strange looking gas pocket inside her. The vet stated that is the first she has ever seen this in a dog before. The vet also stated that Bella's Blood & Liver chart was low on the charts and she was dehydrated. Other than that the vet didn't know what was wrong with Bella. The vet sent her home with us to care for her. Because the vet and us didn't know what could have made her sick we stopped buying Purina Home Style Dog Food. Bella came back to herself. Bella never got sick after that.

Last week, I went to Big R in Michigan City, Indiana and bought a 50 lb. bag of Alpo made by Purina. At that time I had no idea that Purina made Alpo until it was too late. I paid 22 bucks for that bag. At that time I thought for the size & price that's a good deal. Wednesday, Bella became sick. She stopped eating. At that time I didn't think nothing of it. I thought that could be normal. Thursday, Bella started throwing up every time she drunk water. She drunk lots of water but couldn't keep it down. Friday morning, Bella stopped drinking water whatsoever. She became very weak and dehydrated. At the time I had no money to get her into a vet. Every vet wants money first. It's sad how greedy vets can be over money when it comes to a pet's health. A few hours later Bella died. 8 months ago my dog got sick from eating Purina Home Style. 8 months later, now she died from eating Purina Alpo.

Purina needs to step up to the plate and provide Bar codes of all the bad dog food they are selling. All stores should in fact remove Purina off their shelves. My advice to all pet owners is to do not buy anything made by Purina. More people need to be reporting Purina's dog food. It's not just their Purina Beneful brand - it's all their dog food they are making. I hope a attorney contacts me? I would love to see Purina answer to my Bella. She was the best little chihuahua. The sad part is in order for me to go after Purina requires me to dig up Bella's grave to see for fact how she died. I will do what needs to be done. I have the Purina bag, a few samples from the bag, and I have the dog that I feel Purina killed. Add it all up I may have a case.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I fed my 5 cats with Purina Cat Chow for indoor cats and after eating the dry food, they all developed diarrhea and vomiting non-stop. I contacted my vet for a check up who gave me medication, special gastrointestinal dry and wet food which cost me $495.63. I called Purina to report this incident and Nestle Purina did not take this seriously.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I have 6 indoor cats- 4 male and 2 female. They have all eaten friskies and purina foods... all their lives. Within the past two week all of them have started vomiting after eating mostly wet food. On searching the web for recalls I found this site and posts... It seems there is a problem. I'm thankful to have found this and will STOP all feeding of these products immediately. Someone PLEASE notify the FDA!!!

Original review: March 2, 2015

We have 5 dogs, 3 are hunting dogs and have been being fed Purina Beneful & Dog Chow. Those 3 dogs have been having seizures every time they exert themselves when going out hunting or playing. They are not bred the same nor are the same age, the only thing they have in common is the food. We are changing immediately.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information