Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I have always fed my cats Purina ONE Sensitive Systems and Purina snackers. Off and on for about 4 months now at least one of my cats gets sick after eating the snacks. My cat Obie wouldn't eat for over 2 weeks. Had to feed his broth and plain boiled chicken. He ate very little. Gave him Pedialyte to drink. Really almost didn't make it. Now he is fine but almost everyday 1 of my 5 cats are vomiting or have loose stools after eating their food. Won't give snacks anymore at all. Whats up? Is anything being done?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

My 12 year old Jack Russell terrier was diagnosed in April 2014 with Myasthenia Gravis and mega esophagus. She was then diagnosed with cancer in December 2014. She just passed away on February 17 2015. She ate Beneful dog food for years and the vet told me that the poor quality food and the reports of contaminants in the food were a reason she came down with the diseases. I am on several pages on Facebook where other dog owners whose dogs have the same disorders are now making this same connection. I am grief stricken that I thought I was buying a quality dog food for my dog who was like a daughter to me, but in fact I was poisoning her. Something must be done to protect other animals and owners from having to go through the pain and anguish I am enduring. I have many receipts to show I purchased this dog food!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Our sweet girl had been with us since she was a kitten. We loved her very much. For most of her life she ate Meow Mix. When we made a big move to the island we switched her food to Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. She started losing weight and was constantly itching. We didn't think it could be the food. We thought old age was getting her. Then she had a seizure! Poor baby wasn't able to use her back legs much at all anymore, and all her hair started falling out and literally chunks came off of her leaving her neck a bloody mess. She passed not long after her 3rd seizure. Now researching I see all these symptoms are related to the food we fed her! I'm so frustrated that we didn't find this out sooner! She passed 1-18-15. RIP Miss Purl we will always love and miss you!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

My husband had fed his dog Purina dog chow for years and then one of our dogs started having seizures, not sure why. Then eventually our other dog started having seizures also. So we thought it had to be the food. We switched them off of Purina and put them on a no grain dog food and the seizures stopped and haven't had one since. That has been about 3 years ago.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I was the owner of a loving, playful 8 year old cocker-peekaboo mix who got sick on Friday and died on Monday of liver failure after having eaten Beneful for the previous two weeks. I have agonized over what could have made him sick and the only difference to his routine was eating Beneful dog food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

The Corgi developed lethargy and malaise. I took him to the vet. His BUN was 140. She recommend that he be euthanized immediately. She asked what I fed my dogs and I told her Purina Beneful. She said that such cases were being reported. Though I stopped the food immediately, it was too late for the Westie, who succumbed with the same symptoms a few months later. Both dogs had eaten the food for a few years. I had no idea I was slowly killing them.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I just got home from the vet, $500.00 later without a real answer. We got a kitten about a week ago and they told us at the shelter that they've been feeding him Purina One Kitten Chow wet and dry. We picked some up. Our 6 year old cat immediately started vomiting... A LOT. Four and five days, without eating. We tried medicine for nausea and appetite stimulants. The kitten started vomiting also. But older cat still has not eaten. They had to give her fluids and put soft ID in a syringe and feed her that way. Then I found this website. What a travesty. Is Purina now farming out to China like everyone else????

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I am very upset with the outcome of feeding my dog this food. My dog is only 4 years old going to be five. Since we have been feeding him this dog food he has had been losing hair all down the back of his legs and on his back with a smell that will not go away after several baths. He also has now a build up of dry skin and vet bills for allergies that medications are not cheap or effective. He all the symptoms of reading the comments that have been filed in the class action lawsuit. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I am very upset with the outcome of feeding my dog this food. My dog is only 4 years old, going to be five. Since we have been feeding him this dog food he has had been losing hair all down the back of his legs and on his back with a smell that will not go away after several baths. He also has now a build up of dry skin and vet bills for allergies that medications are not cheap or effective. He all the symptoms of reading the comments that have been filed in the class action lawsuit. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I had two dogs and all they ever ate was Beneful, 6 months ago I had to put one of them down because she was so sick and we could not figure out why. Lately, the other one has been throwing up a lot and has not been able to eat. I chose Beneful because it was suppose to be good for them. After reading this, I am going to change my dog's food.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Just saw an article my brother in law posted on my Facebook that some dogs have been dying due to toxic levels of substances in their food? Please verify that for me. My dog, Cole, a healthy three year old suddenly started to lose hair and get skin infections. We took him to several vet visits and they treated it the best they could. A month goes by and his skin seem to get worse...Then one day he wouldn't move anymore and was breathing for his life. I listened to him internally and I knew something wasn't sounding right. We called the emergency vet and he ended up dying right before she got there. My concern is that your dog food might have done this? I need answers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We lost our Australian Cattle dog in September 2014, after he was diagnosed with acute kidney failure. He had been fed Purina Beneful exclusively.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

It only took one bag of this to kill both of my Yorkies. We thought it was just old age after our girl Lily, who was only 10, died. But then my other Yorkie, Teddy who was also 10, started getting very ill. He was running into the walls, had diarrhea, and had blood coming out of his bottom. Vet said it was kidney failure. And that once you can see signs of it, it's too late. We thought for sure it was poison. But didn't know who would do such a thing. Then we realized there was a good chance it was the food. It's sad and we miss our babies dearly. They were $2,000 each and we spent tons in vet bills. But that's nothing compared to the pain of losing our babies so close together. Not really sure if there is even anything we can do. It breaks my heart.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We have two longhair dachshunds that have been fed Purina One dry dog food since day one. The Vet says she wished all dogs were as healthy as our two. They are happy active indoor/outdoor dogs that have not had any symptoms described in this review. Proof of purchase receipts upon request.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

In 2003 we bought a male Golden Retriever pup from a reputable breeder in Penetang, Ontario. Three months later we rescued a female Portuguese Water dog/Wheaten terrier mix from our local SPCA, about 200 miles from the Golden breeder. Obviously neither of these dogs were blood related. We fed them Beneful for months. The Golden began to have recurring ear infections and skin problems. The terrier followed shortly behind with the same problems. The only thing these dogs had in common was eating Beneful dog food!

The vet diagnosed both dogs with a protein allergy. This began a life-long treatment with ear drops and allergy pills to reduce the itch and redness in their skin. It looked almost like an adult human eczema, for lack of a better description. Shortly after that our Golden was diagnosed with epilepsy, and began a life-long treatment of phenobarbital. The Golden passed away a year ago at 10.5 years of age.

The terrier still, at 11 years of age, suffers from ear infections, a skin condition and protein allergies which I fully believe were brought on by Beneful dog food! How in the world, otherwise, would 2 healthy pups from 2 totally separate pedigrees, but brought up on the same food, suffer protein allergies with ear infections and skin conditions? Beneful did this to my dogs!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I am disgusted. I bought a 40 lb bag of Purina Beneful; Healthy Weight on February 9th from Walmart in Whitsett, NC. That night the vomiting and explosive diarrhea started. It continued for the next several days. The next couple of days my German Shepherd refused to touch the food. I think she only started eating it again because she got really hungry. Since the 9th, my dogs have started to act weird and funny. They are using the bathroom constantly in the house, something they never did before. It's like they cannot control their bowel movements. They shake for no reason, and their hair is starting to take on a dull look. They are puking up yellow acid looking stuff now.

If you value your dog's life, you will get rid of whatever dog food you have left of this type, and buy a different brand. I will NEVER use this brand again, and have already started to spread the word on social media what this dog food has done and is doing to my dogs!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

My dogs have been eating Purina dog chow for some time. We haven't had and major problems yet. It seems that they get an upset tummy with some vomiting and loose stools. I just figured it was the weather or some sort of bug going around, but now I'm rethinking things. Thank you to everyone who has written any thing. The info is good to know.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

Just stating how I have dealt with my dog vomiting and having diarrhea several times before I noticed it was his pet food. This stuff is clearly dangerous for the animals and the company should be ashamed. Taken off of the market, really. Won't ever be buying from them again. I now have a giant bag to throw out now that it has been confirmed that many dogs have met their death with this product. Not cool.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

My dog had been on Beneful for a long time because we trusted that Purina was making a safe product. Meg started throwing up, but we did not suspect the food. We bought a divided dish and that seemed to diminish the problem until the end of January when the vomiting became worse. I found this website and immediately stopped giving her any Purina product, but it was too late. She started vomiting continuously so we took her to the vet and he diagnosed Pancreatitis. The next 21 days were a combination of good days and bad days culminating in kidney and liver failure, negligible blood count, and total lethargy. The vet attempted to give her treatments to pull her out of it, and just when we thought she was turning around, she passed away. The vet bill came to over $1600., but the loss of our pet is incalculable. I am more upset that her death may have been hastened because of the food that I had given her.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I have a Dachshund/Chihuahua mix dog. She has been sick for quite awhile and I truly believe the illnesses was started by the Purina Dog Food she was eating. She has been back and forth to the Vet for three years. She is on steroids and antibiotics. In the past, has had to take anti-fungal as well. It has cost us emotionally and financially. She is more than a dog...she is a member of our Family.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

Both of my dogs, one a 6-year old yellow Lab/Pit Bull mix and my other a 7-year old Border Collie mix, have started to get VERY sick over the last 5 months. My Lab/Pit mix has been in and out of the vet due to defecating and vomiting blood!!! Bright red, scared me to death, thought he was hemorrhaging inside - blood! Vet says his renal system is fine. My Border Collie is vomiting all the time and has lost weight. Both have developed bald spots on their fur I thought was "hot spots" even though they have NEVER in either of their lives had "hot spots". Their fur was falling out in bloody clumps! Vet tested negative for any parasite or bacterial infections.

I never dreamed it might be the food because I've fed them this same kind since they were puppies!!!! I had to stop all food I take for over 24 hours and feed them strictly rice, plain yogurt and boiled chicken for a whole week (!) just to get their stomachs to be able to tolerate food again. Now we are on Natural Balance food and they are normal, happy, healthy dogs. Fur is growing back. No more vomiting or defecating blood.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

I only fed my cats the Purina Indoor Formula & Friskies (by Purina) Indoor food. My cat started losing weight, not eating & when I took her to the vet, they put her in feline ICU & when they called me the next morning, I had to go in & have her put to sleep! She had a bleeding abdominal tumor! I talked to several other people, & their cats died of the same thing & they fed their cats the same food! I blame Purina for my beloved cats death. I think there needs to be a lawsuit filed against Purina. There already is one for Beneful Dog food, obviously Purina doesn't care about animals, just profits.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

Exactly a week ago, I purchased two cases of Purina dog food wet in a can and started giving it to my large dog who is having problems with her eyesight. Within 4 days, she started having severe diarrhea and started throwing up - now there is blood in her stool. I brought her to the vets and the veterinarian told me to get her off this food immediately (!!!) and I did. My veterinarian told me that he's had several dogs come in that is on the Purina wet dog food in a can and he has lost two of dogs so far to a bacterial infection that made the dog bleed out.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

Purina Little Wonders Rabbit food - My lionhead bunny was happy, healthy and running around all weekend long. He ran out of his pellet food so I picked up this product. After consuming this pellet food he was dead the next morning. This was the first time I ever used this product and would like to get the food tested for any type of poison. Where would I get this done? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

Okay I gave it 2 stars because this hasn't happened with every bag and my dog did love eating this stuff. So here I was happy with this Purina Beyond Simply 9 dog food - my dog had other foods and loved this the best, but today I found one of the three bags I bought with webbing and maggots in it. Going to return it to the store and find something better, but first reaching everywhere I can, telling people to really go through their food with a fine tooth comb. No reason for my cute little girl to get sick over something stupid like this.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2015

I have been dealing with a very sick 10 year old male cat. His normal diet consisted of only Purina One Urinary Tract Health. No problems until recent bag purchased the end of December 2014. He started vomiting. He never vomited before and only had an occasional hair ball once or twice a year. We took him to vet, he was down 3 pounds, very weak and unable to maintain proper body temperature. They admitted him with dehydration and run additional tests. They inserted a EG tube for nutrition and antibiotics. After many test failed to prove anything there is only one conclusion to draw is the food made him very sick. I will never purchase another Purina product.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2015

Kitties like this. This is first and only, so far, no-grain kibble they've had. Reasonably priced for a no-grain feline granola. I'm wondering who out here in cyberland has experience, pro and con with this particular formula of Purina? Would appreciate hearing from you. P.S: kitties have not had any problems with this kibble. I do maintain fresh, filtered water of one bowl per 2 kitties and also, each kitty is served, literally, 1/2 to 1 can of wet food, no-grain formula daily. So, they do have choices. Sometimes, the kibble is the only choice of the day for this one or that one. Sometimes, a bit of each is consumed by each of them. Just never know.

I have one kitty that only eats the no-grain wet when his body is demanding he supplement his exclusive kibble diet, so every few days. He is the pride's hunter and only recently has the pride - had to be limited to a large enclosure for their outdoor time due to moving into a new environment with closer neighbors and streets, as well as from lowlands, with lots of humidity to high desert. All of these changes require much more attentiveness to their food & drink. Totally worth it!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

I have been feeding my 10 cats and feral cat Friskies wet and dry for among time. At some point I noticed something changed because they no longer finish or even touch the food. Recently I have had cats throwing up immediately after eating. The sicknesses that have followed are that 1 cat was so gravely ill I was told she had no immune system, high fever, and in serious condition. The vet bill for her totaled hundreds of dollars. The next cat ended up with an infection or virus of unknown cause, he cost over 1,000 dollars in vet bills. I was told he had UTI and crystals along with gritty sand in his bladder that ended up blocked. Another cat felt under the weather with vomiting and fever. I have another who refuses to eat the Friskies and is looking ill.

I will try different food and get her to the vet now. Of all 10 cats inside and 8 feral outside....none finish the Friskies anymore and all vomit after eating small portions. After reading the comments posted, I now know the root cause is the food.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

I have 4 male cats in total, 2 that are 7 years old and 2 that are 16 years old. All 4 cats eat Purina cat foods. The two 7 year old cats have never been given cat treats only dry food and they have never experienced any problems. The two 16 year old cats have been eating Purina products for the past 14 years. These 2 cats have also been given Whisker Lickin's cat treats nearly every day for the past 12 years and they love them to be quite honest. Every afternoon they will guide me to the kitchen where I store the bag of treats letting me know they want their daily treat!! LOL.

Well most recently, I would say for the past month one of my cats has lost a considerable amount of weight and started to develop runny stools while the other cat was having some blood in his stools and let me tell you the smell is the worst ever!! Now thinking back to when this started a month ago, I had opened this new bag of cat treats which is the big bag and lasts for quite a while. I wasn't thinking a whole lot about it since these two cats are seniors and I was thinking that maybe they are just starting to deteriorate due to their age. I stopped giving them the cat treats on Monday and both cats stools are nearly back to normal, so that leads me to believe that something in the cat treats was causing my 2 elder cats to be sick. I am not positive about this to be fact but it is a very odd coincidence. I looked for product recalls and found none.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

Around June 2014 I purchased this cat food in 22lb bags, I always buy 3 bags because I have 7, had 13 cats at the time. After feeding them out of the first bag I noticed this gray, silky web stuff and the deeper into the bag the worse it was. All three bags was like this. I had noticed all of my cats had started vomiting with diarrhea after a day or two of eating it. I thought they had colds. I reported it to Purina and they just sent me vouchers for more of it.

One morning a week later I woke up to 4 kittens and the momma with their anuses almost inside out. Their bowels were pouring out of them with blood. They had to be put to sleep and I don't believe in it unless it HAS to be done. I again contacted Purina, told them and they sent more vouchers. I thought maybe it was a virus but it was/is not. Nov 2, 2014 my 2 year old Stormy died, same symptoms plus he had a seizure and just died. I know this food did this to them. I am having Stormy exhumed so an autopsy can be performed.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information