2. Pets

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2015

My dog Mia is a beautiful 2-year old American Akita; never had any health issues in her life. We've been having some money issues so we bought a bag of Purina dog chow to save some money. We started feeding her Purina yesterday and this morning she woke up sick to her stomach, she was throwing up and really bad diarrhea, and she was behaving very lethargic. She didn't start having these symptoms until we fed her the Purina product. We took her to the vet hospital and they ran a series of test including Parvo test, xray and blood work.

Parvo came back negative and xray showed nothing blocking the intestinal track although it did show a little inflammation. The doctor beleive it's something she could have eaten. Only thing we did different was give her Purina yesterday. I'm hoping she gets better and that the blood results don't show any big damage - we will know in a couple of days. The doctor gave her some shots to help with the upset stomach and some medication to give her for the following days. Right now she is just laying there not active at all, which is really unusual for her.

Original review: April 9, 2015

Our two cats, "M" and "K", have eaten Friskies canned wet foods their entire lives. They are now 15 years old, indoors only. M has diabetes, so he mostly just eats dry diabetic food, but we mix some of the Friskies wet to the dry. Recently both cats have been sniffing it and walking away. Moments before they were just yowling and hungry for dinner while we were making it, and then just walked away after it was given to them. Something was definitely wrong.

Within the next two weeks, our healthy, non-diabetic cat, K, became lethargic and was refusing to eat at all. Tuesday, K was vomiting bile and foam, and wouldn't eat or drink and was yowling in obvious pain. Two days at the vet followed by a very expensive consultation with an internal medicine specialist vet, and we finally learned today that K has extensive internal bleeding caused by rat poison. There is absolutely NO WAY that either of our cats could have come in contact with rat poison, mice or droppings or anything like that in our home. I repeat, NOT POSSIBLE.

The only thing that makes sense about this is their food. M has dry kibble available when he'd walk away from the wet food so he'd still get to eat, but K had no other options as she can't eat dry kibble and would eventually eat the wet food after a day of not eating. K is still alive right now, but, unless there are some miraculous findings in her last blood test, we'll have to put her down tonight. Even if she lives, it's not okay that she had to go through something so awful. We are throwing out every last can of Friskies tonight and will never force Purina on our pets again.

When discussing this with friends, I've had someone say, "Why would they kill off their source of income?" Great question! Something Purina should be asked. Obviously SOMETHING is going on. There are multiple shelters in our area that will absolutely not accept any kind of donations of Purina food. And, coincidentally, a few months ago our new puppy came with a bag of Purina Puppy Chow. She ate very little and we decided to try a new food. We mixed the Puppy Chow 50/50 with the new food as suggested when you change their food... she pulled out and ate every kibble of the new food and would not touch the Puppy Chow. Go figure.

Original review: April 7, 2015

Just switched from one well known brand to Friskies Dry Cat Food. One cat died a painful death and the others are sick... it is reckless and disgusting that this food has not been pulled off the shelves! It is killing our pets... who mean the world to us. How can you be so greedy as to continue to allow this to happen? This is as INHUMANE as if you held a gun to their heads and pulled the trigger but slower and more painful. This must be rectified!!!

Original review: April 5, 2015

I feed my 3 cats Purina One Urinary Tract Health since one of them has had issues with crystals in his urine. They seem to have been fine until 2 days ago when one started vomiting, then I noticed another one vomiting. All 3 are lethargic and none of them will eat. I've read the other blog posts & see that many pets have died. Taking all 3 of them to the Emergency vet now. I know it's going to cost fortune but cannot stand by and watch them die. PURINA & FDA.... RECALL ALL PURINA PRODUCTS!!! THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH EVIDENCE THAT THIS FOOD IS KILLING PETS!!! I pray that my cats make it thru this.

Original review: April 3, 2015

We had a dog die in January 2015, we had a second dog very sick with pancreatitis in February 2015, and today April 2015 we rushed a third dog to the emergency hospital where he is in ICU. All they have in common? Purina dog food!!! NEVER will I feed this product to our dogs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: April 1, 2015

I am a owner of 9 yr old mini pinscher name minnie. I have feed her several different Purina products through the years never thinking it would cause illness or life threaten conditions. Since feeding kibble n bits & beneful I have noticed my dog not eating her food and vomiting yellow emesis. I figured it was nothing but maybe she ate grass while playing in my yard. These last three days my dog has taken a total of 12 seizures after giving kibble n bits. My children are extremely upset not knowing what is wrong with her. I brought her to vet who prescribed phenobarbital. After thinking what might be a key factor triggering this illness it brought me to conclude purina kibble n bits. I threw out the remaining food. My dog appears better today and no vomiting or seizures yet so far. I will contact Purina directly because this is unacceptable to be using products that are toxic that are a chemical used in antifreeze.

Original review: April 1, 2015

I have fed purina cat chow for 30 plus years, recently they changed their formula. Cats had nasty diarrhea and sick. The latest bag I purchased and fed, killed my kitties. Some dropped dead, some had bloody diarrhea, throwing up and weight loss. I will never touch purina products again.

Original review: April 1, 2015

So I just moved into a new house with my 3 cats. Shortly after, the lot of them began puking incessantly. At first I thought they were just nervous about being in a new house because they have been eating Purina One Grain Free for months and loved it. I would joke about how you'd think I'd starved them and that they'd never seen food before because they'd eat it so fast. So I changed their food just in case that was the problem but they turned their nose up to this new food so I switched back to Purina and assumed the puking would stop once they got used to their new home. Well the puking did not stop and tonight I have even found blood in the litter box. I took away their food immediately and gave them wet food and then white rice and chicken broth. They seem better already and have not puked in hours.

I am 100% convinced it was the food. Why else would all 3 cats get sick at the same time in the same way when all they have in common is their food? This bag of food in particular even looks different than previous in pellet size alone which I had thought was suspicious. They appear to be feeling better but I am terrified that I will wake up to a dead cat(s) in the morning. Hopefully the effects of this poison aren't permanent but I will be contacting the vet first thing in the morning as well as Purina. I am enraged that they have not recalled this product that is killing our pets. I mean, I thought I was buying top notch food- expensive "all natural" because we want what's best for our pets and now I've made them all deathly ill. I definitely will be heavily researching all pet products before I buy and I guarantee it will not be anything associated with Purina in any way.

Original review: March 31, 2015

We switched out 2 cats that I bottle fed to adult cat food for the age requirements. The 1st day Smoke started vomiting white foam. I thought she had a hair ball so I got stuff from the vet. Day 2 still vomiting, day 3 Mouse and Smoke are vomiting white foam with cat food in it. I called purina and they of course acted like they never had a complaint. Stating they would send me a coupon for more of their killer cat food. (No thanks!) If my babies die I'm going to be very upset, they are like our children. Please make them recall their food before more dogs and cats die. Thank you.

Original review: March 31, 2015

I've been feeding my kitties purina urinary tract food dry for years. The last bag I bought at Walmart that night they started throwing up. Immediately took it back to Walmart and a week later my one healthy kitty died, the others thank god pulled through. I'm so upset right now, Shame on you Purina for taking my baby angels life.

Original review: March 30, 2015

My cats have been eating Purina Cat Chow indoor cat food for some time and haven't experienced any problems. One of my cats was overweight so I switched to CC Healthy Weight food. After transitioning to the product for quite some time, we finally started eating the Healthy Weight food 100% at the beginning of March 2015. Within 2 days of eating that product my cat began throwing up. I took him to the vet and they did blood work and said it was perfect. They then did an x-ray and said that he had lots of gas, was constipated, and maybe had a hair ball. No masses were noted.

I immediately contacted Purina and was told there was no recall on that product. They offered to give me some money to close the claim but I told them that the cat was very sick and that wanted to keep the claim open until the matter was resolved. My cat is very ill. He will not eat his Purina food. So we are struggling with not eating and vomiting. He has been put on fluids, prednisone, nausea medicine, appetite stimulant, antibiotic, etc. If the tides do not turn soon my 10 year old cat will die. He was fine until he began eating the CC Healthy Weight food. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Help!!!! I do not want lose my cat.

Original review: March 29, 2015

I had a litter of pit bull puppies back in May 2014. All of them were healthy and vibrant. My last to go was my special boy, Swisher Sweet. Again has always been healthy, no issues whatsoever. His new owners had him for only one week before he passed away. Nothing made sense. This was back in December 2014. Today I finally got a chance to meet with his short-time owner when we began to discuss Swisher. He brought it to my attention that at the time of Swisher's death, he was being fed Purina Beneful. My heart broke all over again today knowing that an animal-based company could be putting out a product that is killing its consumers' beloved pets. Everyday I struggle with this loss being as he was suppose to stay with me. Now the pieces are falling together and hopefully this company is held liable for all these untimely deaths.

Original review: March 29, 2015

We started our boxer on the lamb formula. She ate it very well for several weeks then we started to notice her scratching more. One day her face was bleeding. She had scratched herself so much that caused injuries. We immediately stopped feeding her this dog food since it was the only thing that had changed in recent months. She is now on NutriSource and her skin is gradually improving. She had various bumps and scabs from whatever was in Purina dog food. I am so mad that I believed their hype of being a premium dog food. Only thing premium was a higher price.

Original review: March 29, 2015

I lost 8 cats in less than 2 years by feeding them Purina dry foods. I raised all of them from babies and most were born in my house, I had no idea I was feeding them poison that purina was selling to unknowing customers. They all died from the same damn symptoms, purina is still selling that poison to consumers killing their pets. They need to be held accountable and responsible, made to TAKE THAT POISON OFF THE MARKET.

Original review: March 28, 2015

I just lost my beautiful 9-year-old sheep dog to cancer. The only pet food I ever gave him was Purina brand. He had no history of cancer in his family. His mother and father lived to be 12 with no cancer... My next dog will never go near Purina dog food... I feel it killed my best friend.

Original review: March 26, 2015

Three of our cats, Jack, Pepper, and Junior, have been vomiting quite often in the last couple of days. We first attributed the vomiting to possible hairball issues with the onset of spring, but the vomit does not contain hair. The vomit tends to be a clear, thick, sticky secretion. We've witnessed these three cats vomiting, but that's not to say one of our other five cats aren't contributing to the ever-growing vomit piles around the house. I noticed when I scooped our litter boxes and filled-up the food bowl in the last two days that barely any of the food has been touched. This got me wondering if the food could be the culprit. Nothing else in our cats' lives has changed in the last couple of days, but we just emptied a brand new 16-lb. bag of Purina One Smartblend Chicken and Turkey cat food into our storage bin in the last couple of days. This seems to coincide with the onset of the vomiting.

I went online to see if anyone else is having problems with this product, and have found MANY instances of animals getting sick (with vomiting being the early symptom) from Purina pet food products, and specifically Purina One Smartblend. After reading many online reviews, I will no longer feed our cats with Purina products, and I will also stop feeding Purina's Beneful to our dogs. We will go back to Iams pet food products.

Original review: March 26, 2015

I adopted my first dog a week after I moved out in July. I fed him Purina because I was broke. Two weeks later, he had a seizure. I rushed him to the vet where he was diagnosed with canine epilepsy. I got medicine for him (which we both hated). In December, I switched him off of Purina for Merrick, and he hasn't had a seizure since. No more yucky medicine, either.

Original review: March 24, 2015

My indoor cat was perfectly healthy until I started feeding her a new bag of Purina one when she started to vomit and stopped eating and drinking. Took her to vet and labs normal but when they did an exploratory lap her bowels were abnormally totally silent as if paralyzed. She will probably die.

Original review: March 23, 2015

My cats normally eat dry food. Because one was having food sensitivity issues, I needed to give him wet food to take with prednisone. Both cats ate Fancy Feast fish-based canned food and both became violently ill. I had given them Iams 3 days in a row and they were both fine... It was just when I went cheap and went with Fancy Feast that they got violently ill.

Original review: March 21, 2015

I just started buying the Whisker Lickin's soft and delicious treat for about a month. I trust only Purina. He has ate the tuna and salmon flavor and no problems. I just bought chicken flavor and my poor cat has been nothing vomiting.

Original review: March 20, 2015

The clerk clearly understood that Purina Products and Beneful specifically, are killing and sickening dogs across the country but the chain refuses to remove the poisonous products from the shelves! They also feature many many chew treats imported from China. Some other companies have removed all products from China as a great deal of these are making dogs immediately ill.

Original review: March 19, 2015

I took my almost 2-year-old cat to the vet today and found out that he is having seizures from the food and treats that we have given him. He was raised primarily on Purina but we have had to switch him for his safety. He became lethargic, would have multiple seizures a day, and was not himself. I refuse to give him any more products from this vendor due to these serious events. My cat could have died if we did not catch this as fast as we did today. I am seriously disgusted to find out that they outsource their food production to China now. I will never buy their products again.

Original review: March 18, 2015

Buster was a very healthy and active 8 year old Airedale. Over a 10 day period he started having a breath issue which we thought he must have to have his teeth cleaned. He also slowed down on his water consumption and food [Purina Rice and Chicken] and began eating a lot of snow. On examination of Buster’s teeth we noticed he had bleeding and hemorrhages in his gums and starting to pass blood in his urine. We took Buster to the vet and his blood was quite normal and showing what we thought was a warfarin [rat] poisoning. Started vitamin K and had blood check and was determined to be clear of poison. Within 8 hours our little buddy was in full blown hemorrhage.

When I got him to the vet I was told he only had an hour to live so we did what no pet owner ever wants to do and had him put to sleep. Buster had been on this Purina product for most of his life, its seems a little odd that he would go down so fast right around the time we started a new bag of food. Could be coincidence. Would love to know how to go about having the product tested. If there is an issue in the pet food industry I hope we can get to the bottom of it before we lose any more of our valued companions.

Original review: March 16, 2015

Purchased this food for a couple years. My dog a Cavapoo has always had a easily upset stomach. This food was recommended by our vet. At first it seemed good, resulting in still a acid reflux, but bowel movements were good, timely and solid. I purchased a new bag last week and right away the dog fell ill, throwing up, bowel movement blowouts, very black, totally liquid, then could not control, which he never had that problem. Became lethargic, almost like clouded eyes, little to no attention span, nothing like before.

I stopped the dog food, called Purina after reading about problems with their Beneful brand. Told the dog food was made in Lancaster, Pa. and no problems reported by any others. Well reading on here seemed others are having problems. Your choice but I have waved Purina goodbye forever. I love my dog. It would break my heart if Purina was at fault for his illness. Glad I stopped. He now seems fine but we are making our own dog food now, with chicken, and rice we boil.

Original review: March 16, 2015

Friskies canned cat food in boxes 12-24-36, most are bent. It was packed bent, the neat boxes are still intact. Yesterday, not only bent but leaking food, so contaminated to say the least. Inspection?? Doubtful. They are passing bad stuff to consumers (animals).

Original review: March 15, 2015

My cats have been eating Purina Friskies canned and Purina Naturals dry food for years. A couple of months ago, both cats started vomiting almost daily. I assumed it was their diet, so I changed the canned food first, but they still were getting sick. I then replaced the Naturals with Halo over a week ago, and the vomiting stopped immediately. I emailed Purina this evening, and will see if they contact me. I purchased four 13 pound bags months ago; no receipt.

Original review: March 13, 2015

Purina cat chow healthy weight - In short my cats are dying and they are 6 months old and I have 2 that are 1 year old and the mom to all of them. The only thing I can link this to is the cat food, we recently change to Purina healthy choice indoor cat food. Not saying the food is the cause of 2 of their deaths because I can't afford an autopsy or to have the food check out. Is there any Organization that can help me? I have 4 cats left. I just took the food away from them and will start feeding them something different. Like I said I'm not a vet but something not right and they are dropping like flies. I'm hoping by changing the food it might stop.

Tomorrow I will call a vet because I noticed another kitten acting a little different. I just pray she makes it through the night. This happens quick from when I notice to death maybe 4 to 6 hours. And for those that read this and say take them to the vet, send me the money and I will. I spent a lot on getting their shots and all are spayed and neutered. I cannot afford to take them all to the vet for test, operation, etc. - if I could I would.

Original review: March 12, 2015

I am so disappointed, upset and angry after seeing so many others having the same issues as me. I lost a long time family kitty, Tiger, who after eating Purina for a yr had to be put asleep. He had no health issues before he started losing fur, throwing up, pooping blood, and soon could not hold his bladder or his bm. Not long after my full blooded Himalayan "Pretty Girl" has been suffering from all kinds of cancers, has an extended stomach, fur loss, blood in poop and lots of vomiting. I have four other kitties all with the same symptoms. I am extremely worried about my babies, they are family to me. I just find it funny that so many animals all eating the same food brand are all experiencing the same illnesses!!!

Original review: March 8, 2015

First of all I did not want to write this post. I did not want to put my problems and issues on the web. But when I heard that there may or may not be a problem with what our animals are being fed I knew I owed it to my dog to give any information I had to try and effect a change if needed. I do not want money, sympathy, or anything else from Purina, or anyone reading this I want change where change is needed. I want to be able to trust that when I am buying a product that is meant to nourish and strengthen that it will.

My dog's name was Roman, he was 1 year 3 months old when he died. He had not had any health problems in his short life until the day he died. I had raised him since he was 6 weeks old, and he had eaten Purina since he was old enough to move from puppy food to dog food. I returned home one night from work to find my dog completely non responsive in a pool of his own waste, which stretched through most of my apartment. I took him to the vet. They told me that he had a seizure or seizures and went into a coma. I was forced to put my best friend down. I had opened a new bag of Purina that week. Whether or not that was the cause of his death I do not know.

Original review: March 6, 2015

OMG I wish I'd seen this sooner. Our healthy kitty started vomiting and progressed to a severe illness with huge enlarged kidney and shriveled liver. We had to put him to sleep and now I see this. I'm devastated. We have fed fancy feast and other of their foods. PURINA DID YOU KILL MY KITTY???

Purina Pet Foods Company Information