3.70/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1469 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I have a pit bull that was eating Purina Beneful and I notice that she started being sick and then getting hot spots all on her fur and keep on itching so bad that she was going bald. So we changed her food and she's getting better. It was scary.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

My husband told me about the new lawsuit towards Purina tonight. We recently changed one of our cocker spaniel to wellness dog food because she had uncontrollable diarrhea for two days. The vet couldn't explain why so we switched her foods and she was better. Our other cocker spaniel vomits but he's done this for years and also has seizures every now and then. Here lately he has a foul odor despite bathing him weekly. I'm now worried we've been poisoning our dogs for years. We are switching the other cockers food now. Sad purina, I do not trust you anymore.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I fed Beneful to both my dogs and my dog ended up having seizures so bad that meds didn't help and I had to put him down. I then read horrible things online about Beneful so changed food to save my other dog from getting ill.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We raise huskies and our mother started. First we thought that her nursing was just hard on her this time. Over 2 weeks she is nothing but bones even upping her food intake and giving her a nursing supplement then 3 days ago she started having diarrhea, then 2 days ago my other 4 huskies started with diarrhea and the mother started vomiting everything up. We have had them on Purina healthy radiance for months. As of today all dogs are vomiting and having diarrhea and the mom is bones, called vet and instantly removed the food from them. I hope I can save my mother since she is so bad off. This is so sad that you think you are feeding your dogs something healthy and yet it's killing them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We began feeding our cat Purina Beyond dry foods, thinking we were doing a good thing. Our cat became very ill, passing bloody mucus and having diarrhea. We took her to the vet and she had to have a shot to soothe the inflammation in her bowels and we can now only hope she will be alright. I would not recommend this food to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Whenever I give our dog a Pup-peroni treat he throws his food up. After he throws up, he lays around for 2-3 days. He is a very active Jack Russell.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

We give my dog the wet food and he got sick. We took him off it and he's gotten better. I made a complaint and all they did was send me some coupons (which I don't need because we will never feed him Purina ever again).

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

Both my Miniature Schnauzer and Cocker Spaniel eat Beneful. While we have had not major issues with the Schnauzer, our Cocker has developed severe sores on his shoulder blades that take forever to heal, with more coming up beside what has already healed. Also, he acts ravenous all the time and eats every chance he gets. He too, has a terrible odor, in spite of bathing and grooming. He suffered a stroke prior to the Christmas holiday. The vet suspects thyroid disorder, for which he is going in for blood work. After reading about various similar symptoms and actual deaths of some pets, I am immediately discontinuing use of this food and switching to something else!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I just read there have been problems with Purina dog food and snacks with pets dying. My dog Lucy was fine until Christmas. She ate purina dog food, she started having severe diarrhea, kidney failure, loss of weight. She died of internal bleeding. We did everything we could for her - I was taking her daily to the vet to get meds. I loved her and have been severely depressed over her death. We trust you with feeding our pets.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

I have been personally taking care of 16 - 18 spade and/or neutered felines since 2005. April 2nd, 2012, (almost three years ago). I have personally driven six miles every morning to feed six to eight homeless felines, and will continue. I purchase a lot of purina pet cat food....300 cans every month of friskies. I also purchase approximately six bags (16 lbs), to give to all of them. I have been saving kitten chow bags to redeem points toward free dry food. I have approximately "thirty" empty bags.

Now, purina won't let me register but 6,999 points once per months. It would take almost a year to redeem one bag of dry purina pet cat food. It stinks!!!! Do you know that purina also bought "wagon trail". The pet food made in china and that has killed canines (dogs). Purina says that "your pet, their passion".... Our pet(s) are definitely not purina's passion at all. Purina you definitely stink!!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I have always fed my cats Purina ONE Sensitive Systems and Purina snackers. Off and on for about 4 months now at least one of my cats gets sick after eating the snacks. My cat Obie wouldn't eat for over 2 weeks. Had to feed his broth and plain boiled chicken. He ate very little. Gave him Pedialyte to drink. Really almost didn't make it. Now he is fine but almost everyday 1 of my 5 cats are vomiting or have loose stools after eating their food. Won't give snacks anymore at all. Whats up? Is anything being done?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

My 12 year old Jack Russell terrier was diagnosed in April 2014 with Myasthenia Gravis and mega esophagus. She was then diagnosed with cancer in December 2014. She just passed away on February 17 2015. She ate Beneful dog food for years and the vet told me that the poor quality food and the reports of contaminants in the food were a reason she came down with the diseases. I am on several pages on Facebook where other dog owners whose dogs have the same disorders are now making this same connection. I am grief stricken that I thought I was buying a quality dog food for my dog who was like a daughter to me, but in fact I was poisoning her. Something must be done to protect other animals and owners from having to go through the pain and anguish I am enduring. I have many receipts to show I purchased this dog food!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Our sweet girl had been with us since she was a kitten. We loved her very much. For most of her life she ate Meow Mix. When we made a big move to the island we switched her food to Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. She started losing weight and was constantly itching. We didn't think it could be the food. We thought old age was getting her. Then she had a seizure! Poor baby wasn't able to use her back legs much at all anymore, and all her hair started falling out and literally chunks came off of her leaving her neck a bloody mess. She passed not long after her 3rd seizure. Now researching I see all these symptoms are related to the food we fed her! I'm so frustrated that we didn't find this out sooner! She passed 1-18-15. RIP Miss Purl we will always love and miss you!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

My husband had fed his dog Purina dog chow for years and then one of our dogs started having seizures, not sure why. Then eventually our other dog started having seizures also. So we thought it had to be the food. We switched them off of Purina and put them on a no grain dog food and the seizures stopped and haven't had one since. That has been about 3 years ago.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I was the owner of a loving, playful 8 year old cocker-peekaboo mix who got sick on Friday and died on Monday of liver failure after having eaten Beneful for the previous two weeks. I have agonized over what could have made him sick and the only difference to his routine was eating Beneful dog food.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

The Corgi developed lethargy and malaise. I took him to the vet. His BUN was 140. She recommend that he be euthanized immediately. She asked what I fed my dogs and I told her Purina Beneful. She said that such cases were being reported. Though I stopped the food immediately, it was too late for the Westie, who succumbed with the same symptoms a few months later. Both dogs had eaten the food for a few years. I had no idea I was slowly killing them.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I just got home from the vet, $500.00 later without a real answer. We got a kitten about a week ago and they told us at the shelter that they've been feeding him Purina One Kitten Chow wet and dry. We picked some up. Our 6 year old cat immediately started vomiting... A LOT. Four and five days, without eating. We tried medicine for nausea and appetite stimulants. The kitten started vomiting also. But older cat still has not eaten. They had to give her fluids and put soft ID in a syringe and feed her that way. Then I found this website. What a travesty. Is Purina now farming out to China like everyone else????

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I am very upset with the outcome of feeding my dog this food. My dog is only 4 years old going to be five. Since we have been feeding him this dog food he has had been losing hair all down the back of his legs and on his back with a smell that will not go away after several baths. He also has now a build up of dry skin and vet bills for allergies that medications are not cheap or effective. He all the symptoms of reading the comments that have been filed in the class action lawsuit. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I am very upset with the outcome of feeding my dog this food. My dog is only 4 years old, going to be five. Since we have been feeding him this dog food he has had been losing hair all down the back of his legs and on his back with a smell that will not go away after several baths. He also has now a build up of dry skin and vet bills for allergies that medications are not cheap or effective. He all the symptoms of reading the comments that have been filed in the class action lawsuit. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I had two dogs and all they ever ate was Beneful, 6 months ago I had to put one of them down because she was so sick and we could not figure out why. Lately, the other one has been throwing up a lot and has not been able to eat. I chose Beneful because it was suppose to be good for them. After reading this, I am going to change my dog's food.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

Just saw an article my brother in law posted on my Facebook that some dogs have been dying due to toxic levels of substances in their food? Please verify that for me. My dog, Cole, a healthy three year old suddenly started to lose hair and get skin infections. We took him to several vet visits and they treated it the best they could. A month goes by and his skin seem to get worse...Then one day he wouldn't move anymore and was breathing for his life. I listened to him internally and I knew something wasn't sounding right. We called the emergency vet and he ended up dying right before she got there. My concern is that your dog food might have done this? I need answers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We lost our Australian Cattle dog in September 2014, after he was diagnosed with acute kidney failure. He had been fed Purina Beneful exclusively.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

It only took one bag of this to kill both of my Yorkies. We thought it was just old age after our girl Lily, who was only 10, died. But then my other Yorkie, Teddy who was also 10, started getting very ill. He was running into the walls, had diarrhea, and had blood coming out of his bottom. Vet said it was kidney failure. And that once you can see signs of it, it's too late. We thought for sure it was poison. But didn't know who would do such a thing. Then we realized there was a good chance it was the food. It's sad and we miss our babies dearly. They were $2,000 each and we spent tons in vet bills. But that's nothing compared to the pain of losing our babies so close together. Not really sure if there is even anything we can do. It breaks my heart.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

We have two longhair dachshunds that have been fed Purina One dry dog food since day one. The Vet says she wished all dogs were as healthy as our two. They are happy active indoor/outdoor dogs that have not had any symptoms described in this review. Proof of purchase receipts upon request.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

In 2003 we bought a male Golden Retriever pup from a reputable breeder in Penetang, Ontario. Three months later we rescued a female Portuguese Water dog/Wheaten terrier mix from our local SPCA, about 200 miles from the Golden breeder. Obviously neither of these dogs were blood related. We fed them Beneful for months. The Golden began to have recurring ear infections and skin problems. The terrier followed shortly behind with the same problems. The only thing these dogs had in common was eating Beneful dog food!

The vet diagnosed both dogs with a protein allergy. This began a life-long treatment with ear drops and allergy pills to reduce the itch and redness in their skin. It looked almost like an adult human eczema, for lack of a better description. Shortly after that our Golden was diagnosed with epilepsy, and began a life-long treatment of phenobarbital. The Golden passed away a year ago at 10.5 years of age.

The terrier still, at 11 years of age, suffers from ear infections, a skin condition and protein allergies which I fully believe were brought on by Beneful dog food! How in the world, otherwise, would 2 healthy pups from 2 totally separate pedigrees, but brought up on the same food, suffer protein allergies with ear infections and skin conditions? Beneful did this to my dogs!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I am disgusted. I bought a 40 lb bag of Purina Beneful; Healthy Weight on February 9th from Walmart in Whitsett, NC. That night the vomiting and explosive diarrhea started. It continued for the next several days. The next couple of days my German Shepherd refused to touch the food. I think she only started eating it again because she got really hungry. Since the 9th, my dogs have started to act weird and funny. They are using the bathroom constantly in the house, something they never did before. It's like they cannot control their bowel movements. They shake for no reason, and their hair is starting to take on a dull look. They are puking up yellow acid looking stuff now.

If you value your dog's life, you will get rid of whatever dog food you have left of this type, and buy a different brand. I will NEVER use this brand again, and have already started to spread the word on social media what this dog food has done and is doing to my dogs!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

My dogs have been eating Purina dog chow for some time. We haven't had and major problems yet. It seems that they get an upset tummy with some vomiting and loose stools. I just figured it was the weather or some sort of bug going around, but now I'm rethinking things. Thank you to everyone who has written any thing. The info is good to know.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

Just stating how I have dealt with my dog vomiting and having diarrhea several times before I noticed it was his pet food. This stuff is clearly dangerous for the animals and the company should be ashamed. Taken off of the market, really. Won't ever be buying from them again. I now have a giant bag to throw out now that it has been confirmed that many dogs have met their death with this product. Not cool.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

My dog had been on Beneful for a long time because we trusted that Purina was making a safe product. Meg started throwing up, but we did not suspect the food. We bought a divided dish and that seemed to diminish the problem until the end of January when the vomiting became worse. I found this website and immediately stopped giving her any Purina product, but it was too late. She started vomiting continuously so we took her to the vet and he diagnosed Pancreatitis. The next 21 days were a combination of good days and bad days culminating in kidney and liver failure, negligible blood count, and total lethargy. The vet attempted to give her treatments to pull her out of it, and just when we thought she was turning around, she passed away. The vet bill came to over $1600., but the loss of our pet is incalculable. I am more upset that her death may have been hastened because of the food that I had given her.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I have a Dachshund/Chihuahua mix dog. She has been sick for quite awhile and I truly believe the illnesses was started by the Purina Dog Food she was eating. She has been back and forth to the Vet for three years. She is on steroids and antibiotics. In the past, has had to take anti-fungal as well. It has cost us emotionally and financially. She is more than a dog...she is a member of our Family.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information