2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: April 22, 2015

Purina Beneful healthy weight dry dog food resulted in the horrific death of my much loved beagle Daisy and cocker spaniel Beau who both died of massive internal haemorrhages. 2 weeks prior to this they were healthy but I noted a foul odour from them both. They both were was vomiting yellow emesis immediately after consuming Beneful. I would have done anything to save them but there was nothing that my vet could do despite multiple veterinary consultations. When Daisy died blood exploded across a diameter of more than 10 meters. I will never forget her death. Immediately after Daisy's and Beau's deaths my Golden retriever Max also suffered from vomiting yellow semi formed emesis and a foul odour, an internal bleed and a stroke.

I contacted Purina in Australia but they didn't care less. It is indeed evident that Purina Beneful killed my beloved dogs. I am a health professional and all the symptoms match the documented product signs and symptoms reported. Their vile animal murdering products most definitely need to be removed immediately from sale and this company must be held accountable for it's murder of animals and its disgusting no care attitude.

Original review: April 15, 2015

We were feeding our cat Purina Indoor formula from the moment we got him. We adopted him at 6 months and he was perfectly healthy with no medical issues. Within weeks of feeding him this food, he began vomiting and having diarrhea. We took him to the vet, and she suggested a natural cat food. We switched to Purina Naturals as it was supposedly so much better. The vomiting continued. My cat’s breath became intolerable. He would vomit foam and yellow bile, when he wasn't immediately vomiting food back up.

We took him to the vet again and she could not understand what was wrong with him. He went on steroids to get his appetite up, but it didn't work. On a whim, I switched to another food. Spot's Grain Free. It's more expensive than Purina was, but I was desperate. My cat was dying and something had to be done. Within 3 days of the food change, my cat completely stopped vomiting.

Within 2 weeks his breath is better, and he's not vomited once aside from a normal springtime hairball. He's been on a new food for a month now, and he's put on a healthy amount of weight. He's playful. If you're reading this, DO NOT FEED PURINA TO YOUR PETS. I have read so many sad stories from people, and I almost lost my cat to that food too. Pay a little more for your food. It'll pay for itself just from all the thousands of dollars you won't have to spend taking your animal to the vet.

Original review: April 15, 2015

My husband bought a selection of Purina Brand/Friskies - all fish flavored as he figured the cats would like it. I offered it to my pair of 1 year old kitties; one refused it and the other ate it. My son told me that one wouldn't eat it and I told him to leave it as he would eat it when he was hungry. I wish I had thrown it away then. Both ended up eating it; one more than the other. Only a few hours after I gave the kitties "Captain's Catch" flavor, did they begin vomiting.

At first I thought it was that they had eaten too much (Mr. Wobbles tends to be a bit of a piggy) and when they began with diarrhea, I knew something was wrong. I left fresh water out and by the end of the second evening of vomiting and refusal to eat and drink, I rushed them to the vet for emergency subcutaneous fluids and metronidazole as well as shots for anti nausea and anti diarrhea. One pulled through and seemed fine. Mr. Wobbles however, continues to fail. He will be spending the night at the vet with intravenous fluids and under watch. They are only 1 year old. DO NOT feed your pets Purina products. Don't take a chance.

Original review: April 14, 2015

I have purchased Purina dog Chow for the last 25 years off and on. I noticed it has put edible colors into their foods when it never used to be like that. My newest dog is a large black lab. I also have two smaller breeds. After my lab eats the Purina Dog Chow he has very bad gas and upset stomach sounds for 24 hours afterwards. He was fine yesterday and then after he ate this morning I noticed his stomach was making sounds again. Our other two dogs are not affected by the food. I personally think it does not need to add the fake colors to their food. It only makes for orange stains on the carpet when the dog vomits this crap food up. I wish it would go to adding healthy ingredients into this dog food instead of cheap crap that's killing our pets.

Original review: April 14, 2015

I started feeding both of my dogs Purina One SmartBlend Lamb & Rice about two months ago, and the last two or three weeks they have both been vomiting almost all of their food, undigested, about 8-12 hours after eating. I looked for many causes, thinking especially that they were eating too fast, and tried different feeding methods to help slow them down, but it only got worse.

My Cavalier was vomiting violently all day yesterday and last night my lab started vomiting blood. We are now sure it was the food, and when I did some research last night, I found out Purina has pending lawsuits from a fairly large group of consumers who claim their dogs were poisoned by the food and had all the same symptoms my dogs are having. This morning I fed both dogs small amounts of a new food and a little more of the new food this afternoon, and for the first time in weeks they've both held everything down and both already look and seem a lot better. I just hope we stopped feeding them the Purina in time and there are no long term health issues.

What makes me the most upset is when I contacted Purina over the phone, they denied any issues with their products, and removed my post describing my experience from their Facebook page because it did "not adhere to community standards." In the last few months there are over 1000 incidents listed on Consumer Affairs site, almost identical to my experience, some worse, yet Purina stands by the safety of their products and feels these reports are all false and misleading allegations. I am not one to ever complain to a corporation - usually if I'm unhappy with a product I just throw it away and move on - but this is extremely frightening and Purina needs to take this seriously.

Original review: April 13, 2015

We have a 10 year old cat and have always used Purina cat chow with great success until the last big bag. His bowels stopped moving and we went online for remedies which included putting vaseline on his paws. This did not work. Another said put pumpkin pie mix in food. When we did this we noticed a lot of hard green things in his food. Looked on bag and noticed that an additional amount of something had been added. Picked them out, we each thought the other was feeding him, neither was. Without the green he ate, things normal, but losing 1/3 of food. Not happy about this.

Original review: April 12, 2015

We have been using Purina One SmartBlend for quite a while. After I accidentally got a different formula (lamb and rice in the red bag), 3 of our dogs are sick. Our bull dog has had diarrhea for 3 days and this morning a smaller dog has it now and my little bull is now puking and then started having blood in his stool. Don't use this food! It's poison and causing sickness and death across the country. I will never by their products again.

Original review: April 12, 2015

Bought a big bag of 24lb of Purina Pro Plan Select and after pouring it into our dog food tub, seen all the debris and dead bugs. It looks very gross and it's not just a little bit, it's completely cover in this junk. Definitely trying a new brand. Very disappointed!

Original review: April 12, 2015

I only use the 'classic' blend because the ingredient list does not include corn, soy, wheat gluten, etc. The first 4 ingredients are meat (so it says). My present cat is 2 years old and my previous cat died of diabetes. I have been trying to be as careful as possible with my 2 year old with his diet and exercise. It was awful what my diabetic cat and I went thru. And the expenses were through the roof. Anyways, I purchased the 24 pack of Fancy Feast Seafood Feast Variety. Immediately he began to violently throw up and and have pure watery diarrhea non stop. He won't eat anything now, not even treats. He is drinking. It's been 2 days. I will take him to the vet on Monday. He's an indoor cat and did not get into anything.

I see stories exactly like this all over the web. Why hasn't anything been done? I will quit Purina, just as I quit Iams after my previous cat becoming violently sick because of poison food additives from China. If something happens to this cat, I will not sit on my hands as I did with my other cat. I will fight Purina with my dying breath and make them pay dearly. Since 2006, I am exhausted by these pet food companies.

Original review: April 11, 2015

Im so sad. I used to feed my cats Nutro max cat dry food until that huge recall in 2009 about the wet food killing all the animals. So i switched them to purina cat chow thinking its was better for them.. My cats never got sick in their life. But in 2011 my cats started to be sick, puking everywhere, sneezing, losing weight, eating fur on their belly and more. On 5 of them, i lost 4. The first one was (12 years old). She was ripping her fur on her belly until she had none left. We tried meds and more but one night she didnt look ok so we brought her to the vet. After $600 they told me she had a kidney, heart failure and more. Her whole body was full of water and she had to be put asleep.

The second one 2013 (9 years old). Ulcer in mouth - brought him to the vet, put him on meds. 1 week after, went to the litter and his 2 back legs paralyzed. He was screaming so loud so we rushed him to the vet (blood clot), had to put him to sleep. The third one in 2014 my Buster.. 17 years old. Ulcer in mouth, cancer of mouth - nothing I can or could do. Now 2 weeks ago.. my girl Bear would of been 15 also passed away due to kidney failure, heart failure, full of water. My last one is 7 years old this year and has bloody stool??? Did I kill my cats by switching them to purina??? I need to know.. (reason why I found this site. I just had a feeling today that maybe it was the food I was giving them. My aunt put her cat to sleep today because her cat body also was full of water. So I ask her what kind of food she was giving them and she told me purina cat chow :( So here i am.)

Original review: April 11, 2015

We have been feeding our highly energetic 2 year old pit Purina products (Pro plan, Beneful). Just last week he became extremely lethargic, bloody diarrhea, and vomiting. All the stories I've read about the side effects of this food, I will be throwing it away and going with another brand. Our little guy is back to his old self without Purina and adding stool hardeners.

Original review: April 9, 2015

My dog Mia is a beautiful 2-year old American Akita; never had any health issues in her life. We've been having some money issues so we bought a bag of Purina dog chow to save some money. We started feeding her Purina yesterday and this morning she woke up sick to her stomach, she was throwing up and really bad diarrhea, and she was behaving very lethargic. She didn't start having these symptoms until we fed her the Purina product. We took her to the vet hospital and they ran a series of test including Parvo test, xray and blood work.

Parvo came back negative and xray showed nothing blocking the intestinal track although it did show a little inflammation. The doctor beleive it's something she could have eaten. Only thing we did different was give her Purina yesterday. I'm hoping she gets better and that the blood results don't show any big damage - we will know in a couple of days. The doctor gave her some shots to help with the upset stomach and some medication to give her for the following days. Right now she is just laying there not active at all, which is really unusual for her.

Original review: April 9, 2015

Our two cats, "M" and "K", have eaten Friskies canned wet foods their entire lives. They are now 15 years old, indoors only. M has diabetes, so he mostly just eats dry diabetic food, but we mix some of the Friskies wet to the dry. Recently both cats have been sniffing it and walking away. Moments before they were just yowling and hungry for dinner while we were making it, and then just walked away after it was given to them. Something was definitely wrong.

Within the next two weeks, our healthy, non-diabetic cat, K, became lethargic and was refusing to eat at all. Tuesday, K was vomiting bile and foam, and wouldn't eat or drink and was yowling in obvious pain. Two days at the vet followed by a very expensive consultation with an internal medicine specialist vet, and we finally learned today that K has extensive internal bleeding caused by rat poison. There is absolutely NO WAY that either of our cats could have come in contact with rat poison, mice or droppings or anything like that in our home. I repeat, NOT POSSIBLE.

The only thing that makes sense about this is their food. M has dry kibble available when he'd walk away from the wet food so he'd still get to eat, but K had no other options as she can't eat dry kibble and would eventually eat the wet food after a day of not eating. K is still alive right now, but, unless there are some miraculous findings in her last blood test, we'll have to put her down tonight. Even if she lives, it's not okay that she had to go through something so awful. We are throwing out every last can of Friskies tonight and will never force Purina on our pets again.

When discussing this with friends, I've had someone say, "Why would they kill off their source of income?" Great question! Something Purina should be asked. Obviously SOMETHING is going on. There are multiple shelters in our area that will absolutely not accept any kind of donations of Purina food. And, coincidentally, a few months ago our new puppy came with a bag of Purina Puppy Chow. She ate very little and we decided to try a new food. We mixed the Puppy Chow 50/50 with the new food as suggested when you change their food... she pulled out and ate every kibble of the new food and would not touch the Puppy Chow. Go figure.

Original review: April 7, 2015

Just switched from one well known brand to Friskies Dry Cat Food. One cat died a painful death and the others are sick... it is reckless and disgusting that this food has not been pulled off the shelves! It is killing our pets... who mean the world to us. How can you be so greedy as to continue to allow this to happen? This is as INHUMANE as if you held a gun to their heads and pulled the trigger but slower and more painful. This must be rectified!!!

Original review: April 5, 2015

I feed my 3 cats Purina One Urinary Tract Health since one of them has had issues with crystals in his urine. They seem to have been fine until 2 days ago when one started vomiting, then I noticed another one vomiting. All 3 are lethargic and none of them will eat. I've read the other blog posts & see that many pets have died. Taking all 3 of them to the Emergency vet now. I know it's going to cost fortune but cannot stand by and watch them die. PURINA & FDA.... RECALL ALL PURINA PRODUCTS!!! THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH EVIDENCE THAT THIS FOOD IS KILLING PETS!!! I pray that my cats make it thru this.

Original review: April 3, 2015

We had a dog die in January 2015, we had a second dog very sick with pancreatitis in February 2015, and today April 2015 we rushed a third dog to the emergency hospital where he is in ICU. All they have in common? Purina dog food!!! NEVER will I feed this product to our dogs.

Original review: April 1, 2015

I am a owner of 9 yr old mini pinscher name minnie. I have feed her several different Purina products through the years never thinking it would cause illness or life threaten conditions. Since feeding kibble n bits & beneful I have noticed my dog not eating her food and vomiting yellow emesis. I figured it was nothing but maybe she ate grass while playing in my yard. These last three days my dog has taken a total of 12 seizures after giving kibble n bits. My children are extremely upset not knowing what is wrong with her. I brought her to vet who prescribed phenobarbital. After thinking what might be a key factor triggering this illness it brought me to conclude purina kibble n bits. I threw out the remaining food. My dog appears better today and no vomiting or seizures yet so far. I will contact Purina directly because this is unacceptable to be using products that are toxic that are a chemical used in antifreeze.

Original review: April 1, 2015

I have fed purina cat chow for 30 plus years, recently they changed their formula. Cats had nasty diarrhea and sick. The latest bag I purchased and fed, killed my kitties. Some dropped dead, some had bloody diarrhea, throwing up and weight loss. I will never touch purina products again.

Original review: April 1, 2015

So I just moved into a new house with my 3 cats. Shortly after, the lot of them began puking incessantly. At first I thought they were just nervous about being in a new house because they have been eating Purina One Grain Free for months and loved it. I would joke about how you'd think I'd starved them and that they'd never seen food before because they'd eat it so fast. So I changed their food just in case that was the problem but they turned their nose up to this new food so I switched back to Purina and assumed the puking would stop once they got used to their new home. Well the puking did not stop and tonight I have even found blood in the litter box. I took away their food immediately and gave them wet food and then white rice and chicken broth. They seem better already and have not puked in hours.

I am 100% convinced it was the food. Why else would all 3 cats get sick at the same time in the same way when all they have in common is their food? This bag of food in particular even looks different than previous in pellet size alone which I had thought was suspicious. They appear to be feeling better but I am terrified that I will wake up to a dead cat(s) in the morning. Hopefully the effects of this poison aren't permanent but I will be contacting the vet first thing in the morning as well as Purina. I am enraged that they have not recalled this product that is killing our pets. I mean, I thought I was buying top notch food- expensive "all natural" because we want what's best for our pets and now I've made them all deathly ill. I definitely will be heavily researching all pet products before I buy and I guarantee it will not be anything associated with Purina in any way.

Original review: March 31, 2015

We switched out 2 cats that I bottle fed to adult cat food for the age requirements. The 1st day Smoke started vomiting white foam. I thought she had a hair ball so I got stuff from the vet. Day 2 still vomiting, day 3 Mouse and Smoke are vomiting white foam with cat food in it. I called purina and they of course acted like they never had a complaint. Stating they would send me a coupon for more of their killer cat food. (No thanks!) If my babies die I'm going to be very upset, they are like our children. Please make them recall their food before more dogs and cats die. Thank you.

Original review: March 31, 2015

I've been feeding my kitties purina urinary tract food dry for years. The last bag I bought at Walmart that night they started throwing up. Immediately took it back to Walmart and a week later my one healthy kitty died, the others thank god pulled through. I'm so upset right now, Shame on you Purina for taking my baby angels life.

Original review: March 30, 2015

My cats have been eating Purina Cat Chow indoor cat food for some time and haven't experienced any problems. One of my cats was overweight so I switched to CC Healthy Weight food. After transitioning to the product for quite some time, we finally started eating the Healthy Weight food 100% at the beginning of March 2015. Within 2 days of eating that product my cat began throwing up. I took him to the vet and they did blood work and said it was perfect. They then did an x-ray and said that he had lots of gas, was constipated, and maybe had a hair ball. No masses were noted.

I immediately contacted Purina and was told there was no recall on that product. They offered to give me some money to close the claim but I told them that the cat was very sick and that wanted to keep the claim open until the matter was resolved. My cat is very ill. He will not eat his Purina food. So we are struggling with not eating and vomiting. He has been put on fluids, prednisone, nausea medicine, appetite stimulant, antibiotic, etc. If the tides do not turn soon my 10 year old cat will die. He was fine until he began eating the CC Healthy Weight food. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Help!!!! I do not want lose my cat.

Original review: March 29, 2015

I had a litter of pit bull puppies back in May 2014. All of them were healthy and vibrant. My last to go was my special boy, Swisher Sweet. Again has always been healthy, no issues whatsoever. His new owners had him for only one week before he passed away. Nothing made sense. This was back in December 2014. Today I finally got a chance to meet with his short-time owner when we began to discuss Swisher. He brought it to my attention that at the time of Swisher's death, he was being fed Purina Beneful. My heart broke all over again today knowing that an animal-based company could be putting out a product that is killing its consumers' beloved pets. Everyday I struggle with this loss being as he was suppose to stay with me. Now the pieces are falling together and hopefully this company is held liable for all these untimely deaths.

Original review: March 29, 2015

We started our boxer on the lamb formula. She ate it very well for several weeks then we started to notice her scratching more. One day her face was bleeding. She had scratched herself so much that caused injuries. We immediately stopped feeding her this dog food since it was the only thing that had changed in recent months. She is now on NutriSource and her skin is gradually improving. She had various bumps and scabs from whatever was in Purina dog food. I am so mad that I believed their hype of being a premium dog food. Only thing premium was a higher price.

Original review: March 29, 2015

I lost 8 cats in less than 2 years by feeding them Purina dry foods. I raised all of them from babies and most were born in my house, I had no idea I was feeding them poison that purina was selling to unknowing customers. They all died from the same damn symptoms, purina is still selling that poison to consumers killing their pets. They need to be held accountable and responsible, made to TAKE THAT POISON OFF THE MARKET.

Original review: March 28, 2015

I just lost my beautiful 9-year-old sheep dog to cancer. The only pet food I ever gave him was Purina brand. He had no history of cancer in his family. His mother and father lived to be 12 with no cancer... My next dog will never go near Purina dog food... I feel it killed my best friend.

Original review: March 26, 2015

Three of our cats, Jack, Pepper, and Junior, have been vomiting quite often in the last couple of days. We first attributed the vomiting to possible hairball issues with the onset of spring, but the vomit does not contain hair. The vomit tends to be a clear, thick, sticky secretion. We've witnessed these three cats vomiting, but that's not to say one of our other five cats aren't contributing to the ever-growing vomit piles around the house. I noticed when I scooped our litter boxes and filled-up the food bowl in the last two days that barely any of the food has been touched. This got me wondering if the food could be the culprit. Nothing else in our cats' lives has changed in the last couple of days, but we just emptied a brand new 16-lb. bag of Purina One Smartblend Chicken and Turkey cat food into our storage bin in the last couple of days. This seems to coincide with the onset of the vomiting.

I went online to see if anyone else is having problems with this product, and have found MANY instances of animals getting sick (with vomiting being the early symptom) from Purina pet food products, and specifically Purina One Smartblend. After reading many online reviews, I will no longer feed our cats with Purina products, and I will also stop feeding Purina's Beneful to our dogs. We will go back to Iams pet food products.

Original review: March 26, 2015

I adopted my first dog a week after I moved out in July. I fed him Purina because I was broke. Two weeks later, he had a seizure. I rushed him to the vet where he was diagnosed with canine epilepsy. I got medicine for him (which we both hated). In December, I switched him off of Purina for Merrick, and he hasn't had a seizure since. No more yucky medicine, either.

Original review: March 24, 2015

My indoor cat was perfectly healthy until I started feeding her a new bag of Purina one when she started to vomit and stopped eating and drinking. Took her to vet and labs normal but when they did an exploratory lap her bowels were abnormally totally silent as if paralyzed. She will probably die.

Original review: March 23, 2015

My cats normally eat dry food. Because one was having food sensitivity issues, I needed to give him wet food to take with prednisone. Both cats ate Fancy Feast fish-based canned food and both became violently ill. I had given them Iams 3 days in a row and they were both fine... It was just when I went cheap and went with Fancy Feast that they got violently ill.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information