3.68/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: June 14, 2019

On July 24th 2018 I fed my cats a new food, Purina Tender and Crunchy Combo. I purchased a 3 Ib bag of this via Walmart.com, thinking I would try something new. I fed this to my 8 cats, as a small snack, only 1 time. The biggest mistake I wish that I never had made. At first it was not that big of deal. It started the following morning, I awoke to one of my cats vomiting. Innocent enough because this has happened occasionally, if I used something different or they have hairballs. I quickly saw that this was so much more than that. By the end of that Sunday night all 8 were vomiting, to the point where it was almost pure blood. This was upwards of 100 times when it was all said and done.

I called the only available vet for being a weekend. He was convinced a toxin had to be in the food and said to throw it out. He was hopeful if the vomiting subsided that the cats would improve without needing vet care. This was the case for 6 of my 8, however, sadly I lost 2 of my kitties at 2 and at 4 days. The whole experience was agonizing by the end. To see what they were going through and know that I caused it by giving them something that I thought they would like.

Purina, in essence, killed my cats. If it was not for that purchase of their product I would still have my Little Man and Mario. I contacted Purina two days into the ordeal, requesting they pay for a vet visit. They finally gave in after the first cat died. So I made the appointment, I went to let my Mario know he was getting help only a few minutes after leaving the room. When I returned, he was no longer breathing. The injustice in that I cannot even explain or ever reconcile with. Mario was cheated.

I am an educated woman, I have been through a lot raising cats and am extremely knowledgeable about cat behavior and health. Yet I was completely unaware of how bad these 2 were doing until it was too late, and I KNOW that it was this food that harmed them. I am still in the process of getting justice for my Little Man and my Mario. At this point, Purina takes no accountability. They are in process of testing the food, but I am looking for more trustworthy entities to do so as well. I will wait and see.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I noticed feeding my cats the Purina brand cat food it's like they can't get full! One ate himself into obesity and became diabetic, now I am administering insulin to him twice a day. Yikes! So I monitor the others and every time they see me they go to their bowls like Purina doesn't satisfy them but has an addictive agent that makes them want more and it bloats them! I will be making the slow transition over to Tractor Supply's dry food. Something's gotta change. Purina's food is doing something horrible. I want them to eat but not gorge themselves and get health related problems. Goodbye Purina. I know you're messing with your ingredients to form addicts!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I am extremely angry that this company is still in business! My 8 year old friend has been sick for two weeks. Had her to the vet after diarrhea and frequent urinating, vomiting and lethargic. Now on antibiotics and pro biotics for 5 days and a diet of chicken, and veggies. She hasn't been herself. No jumping or playing. For a week and a half. Day 10 and we let her eat your food once again and we're back to square one with 8 piles of vomit one with blood clots and diarrhea. Haven't tried this brand before til a month weeks ago. I have to say I will never purchase it again and will be sure to spread the word of your toxic food. I'm at work at the moment extremely scared and hurt. This company is disgusting. Making yet again another vet appointment. Praying our baby can survive this nightmare! No more of your poison in my baby. You should be ashamed!

Original review: May 6, 2019

My Sophie was put on this food prescribed by the vet. I ordered the food from a website that was on the Tigard Animal Clinic’s website. They referred it. The vet said it wouldn’t hurt if my other furry kid JT ate it too. I received the food on Thursday and fed both. Took JT to the vet on Saturday as he was vomiting and diarrhea with blood. I fed him sweet potato and meds. He was fine later that day. Then on Wednesday Sophie has vomiting and diarrhea. From Thursday on, she became lethargic, wouldn’t eat, and vomit after drinking water. Her hind legs were so weak she couldn’t stand. Took her to the vet on Saturday to find her temp was low.

They did bloodwork and almost everything was failing. I was forced to make the decision. She was taken away from me at top speed with this food. She was fine before she ate this. No lethargic, eating and drinking normal. Walked, played, barked, and breathed normal. I know it was the food that elevated. JT survived because he’s bigger and stronger than Sophie. She’s just 4 lbs. She couldn’t handle the toxins from this food. Please take it off the market as it’s killing our furry kids. I’m devastated and blamed myself for allowing them to eat this brand. I’ll never forgive myself for her pain, suffering, and shortened life. My baby girl wouldn’t have gone this soon.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Our three cats have been eating Fancy Feast as a wet food for many years. One age is 8 years old the other two is 13. My eight year old started vomiting profusely and has now lost half his weight. The other two started throwing up but when we stopped feeding them Fancy Feast they stopped puking. I'm afraid I cannot save my 8 year old boy and I'm very disappointed that I cannot trust a company who has been around for many years. Shame on you Purina/Mars. If there was a lawsuit I'd be all over it making sure you paid for all the losses that you've caused. I tell everyone do not buy Purina ever. I don't know how you sleep at night!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: April 11, 2019

My cat had been eating Science Diet for 11 years. A few months ago he stopped eating it so I was forced to try something new. I chose Purina One chicken formula, and he loved it. In under two months he had a urinary tract infection that completely blocked his urethra. Before he showed symptoms, bladder stones started to form. He just had emergency surgery to remove those stones. My vet is almost positive it was the food he was eating, though the stones have yet to be analyzed.

FLUTD is not common in cats his age, which is another reason my vet believes the Purina food is to blame. He's already on a prescription Science Diet food (whether he likes it or not) and will be for the remainder of his life thanks to Purina. It caused my cat over a week of pure misery, and it cost over $2500 in vet bills to bring him home alive.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I had been purchasing at Sam's Club and giving to my 3-1/2 year old Shih Tzu. She loved them. She became a very picky eater and started vomiting and diarrhea. She developed a urinary tract infection and had bad reactions to the antibiotics. Took her back to the vet and they did chest xrays to find out she has a nickel size stone that developed in her bladder. They said it could be due to dietary or hereditary. She goes in for surgery in a few days. Decided to read the reviews and surprised to see so many complaints. Sorry I did not check sooner. Hoping surgery goes well. Expensive lesson. I would suggest pet owners stop using this product. Pray for my Mimi.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This was my cat's favourite cat food until recently. I found these reviews and realised these cats are having the same health issues as my cat. Lethargic, high temperatures, kidney problems, won't eat, throwing up, Vet doesn't know what's wrong. He is 3 years old. When he got sick we only fed him Purina as it was his favourite and the most expensive. Now he won't go near it. This is appalling. It should all be recalled.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been buying Friskies wet food for my cats for several years, but recently (around the time labeling was changing), my cats starting refusing it. When they did eat it, they immediately threw up, and became lethargic. I didn't make the connection until last night, when I opened a can of Friskies, and the smell was so bad, I couldn't give it to my cats. I opened other cans, gave it to them, and they ate it, but immediately threw up---all 6 of them. I feel if I continue buying this food, my cats will become seriously ill. Even though the higher quality foods are more expensive, I feel my cats will be saved from future diseases and illnesses. I look like Purina to come clean, and tell us what they put in the Friskies wet food for real-something is not right.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My cat thrived on Friskies pate, wet food, until two months ago. Now she won't touch it. I began researching on the internet, and found dozens of sites talking about how Purina had changed the formulation, and cats were getting sick and dying. My cat, when she ate the latest purchase, began vomiting and having a diarrhea. Now she will eat nothing and is wasting away. In every instance I found, Purina is denying any responsibility.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information