2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (978 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: July 17, 2020

Our cat has been on Purina her whole life and she does very well. I have tried other brands of cat food but she did not do well and would end up getting sick to the point that she would throw up. With the Purina Indoor, she has never had a hairball or any other illness.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I originally bought my cat a more traditional Purina cat food. When this one came out it was a little more expensive. However it offered cat food specifically formulated for various cat issues. My car had a hairball issue, so I bought that specific Purina One type. To my delight she loved it. Over time it actually made a difference for her and she coughed up fewer hairballs.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I started my cat on this for health concerns and the fact that he is a special needs guy. He has been doing fantastic. It has improved his skin condition. I like the fact that it has soft and crunchy pieces in it. I am extremely happy.

Original review: July 13, 2020

My cats were throwing up everywhere and leaving the carpet stained. Now it is very seldom that happens. They seem to be more active and don't eat much. Really would recommend this food for overweight and persnickety eaters.

Original review: July 5, 2020

I have fed my dogs and cats many different brands of dry food over the years, but always come back to Purina. When you have barn cats, you don’t want to spend a lot of money on fancy food. My oldest cats died at the ages of 20 and 22, so that says something about the nutritional value of their food. Most of the time I buy large bags of Kit & Kaboodle because they like it the best.

Original review: July 4, 2020

Switching to this cat food made a huge difference in the health and appearance of our cats. They have much more energy, their coats are sleek and shiny, and are all healthier in general. The food is consistently good quality, and the difference it makes is quite noticeable.

Original review: July 3, 2020

I like Purina Naturals because there are no dyes, that stuff is bad for our pets and us too! It's also gentler on touchy tummies. My cat does much better with this food. I buy the same brand for my dog.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Because Beyond doesn't include taurine, I do have to supplement with another brand of cat food that contains this amino acid. Also, I have to give the cats plenty of exercise. They love the taste of Beyond and would overeat if I let them.

Original review: June 20, 2020

My kitten just turned 9mo and has been eating this brand with no problems. A new bag that we’ve gotten has her refusing to eat it and when she does it’s given her chronic diarrhea! I’ve switched it up and given her soft food and OTC medication to treat her diarrhea. It gets better and when we go back to this dry food the diarrhea begins all over again. My baby is greedy, so I figured she may be picking up droplets of food in the kitchen that isn’t agreeing with her. But, I’ve kept her in a confined space to treat and care for her diarrhea. The only element in her diet being this food! Thankfully, her personality is continuously playful and she’s staying hydrated but I will not be purchasing this again!!!

Original review: June 6, 2020

I had been feeding him Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice since I got him. I got a bag of the chicken large breed for him and my other dog. I noticed it gave my Boston terrier severe diarrhea so I thought well maybe it’s because it’s puppy food so stopped giving it to her. My doodle started having diarrhea and severe vomiting. He had to stay at the vet and have exploratory surgery but only found stomach irritation and hard stool in colon. They thought he ate something he shouldn’t have. I thought maybe he’s allergic to the chicken as I had read a lot of doodles are so I gave the bag of food to my mom. After two bowls her dog had bloody diarrhea. My dog continued to have stomach issues after this and died a couple months later and the Vet couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him. He was a 7 month old health Goldendoodle. I would sue them if I could prove it was the dog food. I lost my baby boy.

Original review: May 18, 2020

My 11 year old cat has eaten Fancy Feast canned food all her life. She does not eat dry food at all. In the past 2-4 months she has been vomiting a lot and I have made numerous vet visits trying to determine the cause. Long story short, we determined it was definitely the Fancy Feast canned food, mostly the sliced chicken with gravy and seafood feast. Once I removed these from her diet all the vomiting stopped. I have read that the ingredients used in that food can come from China and is below standard. My cat suffered needlessly through tons of vet visits and nights of sickness. She is running and playing now and back to her old self. I would not recommend this food to anyone until the standards are quality control checked better.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Kittens died. I have been using Purina cat chow indoor formula. My kittens' stomachs swelled up and exploded. Adult cats are all sick too but they eat the dog's food as well so cat chow is not their only food. A few years back I lost a husky and found out his problem was related to the food he was eating. Purina again.

Original review: May 14, 2020

My cat has been eating Friskies Pate for 12 years. I purchased the 20 pack from Walmart. The past 5 days my cat has had excessive diarrhea and vomiting. I hadn’t been able to pin point exactly what was up with her until I read these reviews of others going through the same thing! I’ll be changing her food ASAP and demand a recall of 1157!! I’m the one responsible for feeding my cat and I’m unknowingly poisoning her by feeding her friskies pate!

Original review: May 5, 2020

My 9 (and those before them) indoor cats ate Friskies Pate Canned Wet food for decades. Over the last 18 +/- years they turn their noses up at the Friskies Pate Canned food - then I might find a flavor they will eat again - and I buy a case and then they stop eating that as well. Consumers have been telling similar woes all over the internet for at least 18 months. I do not understand why Friskies has not listened - do not know why USA allows this potentially toxic cat food issue to continue - when 1 or 2 don't like a flavor - we say the felines are finicky - when 9 sniff and walk away - there is definitely some foul play going on.

None of my cats have EVER liked Fancy Feast - any flavor. I have been buying every single flavor of Fancy Feast to see if they will eat it - and every can is an epic fail. I throw out and incredible amount of cat food (Friskies and Fancy Feast - both Nestle-Purina) and donate cans as well to people as well. NESTLE-PURINA WAKE UP. Stop lining pockets and make QUALITY CAT FOOD.

Original review: April 28, 2020

The end of February 2020, I bought a small bag of chicken jerky treats at my local Dollar General for my mini schnauzer, Emma. A week later she started having bladder control issues. I assumed she was just getting older..she was 10 years old. After another week she had lumps on both sides of her neck, so I took her to the vet. A blood test was done. She had cancer in her lymph glands..not treatable..life expectancy of 2-3 months, at the best. Two weeks later she was in so much pain, lethargic, not eating, panting, isolating under the bed, clearly unhappy. I spent a horrible night holding her while struggled to breath..a night I can't get out of my mind..and had to make the heart wrenching decision to let her go. That was a month ago and I still can't get my life together. If this product had been recalled when complaints were made in 2012, my Emma would still be with me.

Original review: April 2, 2020

My dog had gotten sick from Beneful soft food before, but we tried the Incredibites dry food and last night he ate about a half cup of food. He was coughing and sneezing all night and in the morning he threw up a few times. Today he is lethargic and confused. I would not recommend this food.

Original review: March 30, 2020

I've used the Friskies wet cat food for decades in shelters. Now it makes the cats throw up blood and get sick. It improved for a few months, now again in MAR 2020. DO something! Animals dying for profit.

Original review: March 12, 2020

After recently losing one of my kitties and having done over 2,500.00 in tests I still don't know what was the cause. I began Googling.... Found this site and all the complaints on Purina with similar to my experience in most of them. These complaints some of them starting in 2014 to just recently REALLY!!!! 6YRS and Purina is still getting away with poisoning our pets. I am a third generation Purina user, we always used their products with no problems but no more this company needs to be held accountable.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

After a week or so of feeding this product to my cat, all of these symptoms arised:

-scooting her butt on the floor leaving skid marks
-extra stinky poops....like really bad
-lethargy
-weird stomach convulsions/belching
-vomiting (she usually does when she eats to fast though so I overlooked it at first)
-hair lost its shine

-heavy/strained breathing

I regret not buying a new product sooner. It's a damn shame that lower income/frugal people are unknowingly poisoning their animals at the hands of a large corporation. I'm putting my cats health first, and will be throwing away the remaining 3/4 full bag of Nestle owned toxicity.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I recently started feeding my dog the canned food and noticed he has terrible gas, runny and bloody stool. As I sit here and listen to his stomach tonight I decided to do a little research. Seems like this has been a known issue and nothing is being done. How disappointing and disgusting.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I have two cats, 7 years old. They have always like FF Grilled Chicken in Gravy. Over the last month they have both stopped eating it. It’s unusual, anyone else experiencing this? If they try to eat, they will throw up shortly afterwards.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My 12 year old cat has always loved Friskies cat food, both canned and dry. But with the last two boxes of pate that I bought from Costco, she has had several bouts of vomiting. She has lost weight. Now she absolutely refuses to eat the fish varieties, Ocean Whitefish and Tuna, and Mariner's Catch. The expiration date on the cans is Sept 2021. The numbers are all different except for the digits 1159, which occur on all the cans. I'm going to talk to my vet about this food and see if they have any more information about it. There have been complaints on Facebook about Friskies with the numbers 1159. I always take FB posts with a grain of salt but I am now questioning the healthiness of Friskies pate. If something is wrong with this product, Purina should step up and recall it. Hills did it. They're still in business.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

About two weeks ago, my cats stopped eating Fancy Feast canned and Fancy Feast broths. It's weird. Since so many others seem to be experiencing the same thing, I sent the link to these reviews to Purina at www.purina.com/how-can-we-help.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

We have an elderly cat and adopted a youngster (a year old) in December. To save some money we switched our canned cat food from Nature Balance to Friskies Pate and when I ordered a 24 pack from Amazon I discovered I had received a pate with extra gravy. It seemed like a bonus for our kitties! Specially since our Jake, the elderly cat, had also been receiving a Fancy Feast Broth every day to add extra liquid in his diet, which we could now eliminate. After a week or so Jake started going on vomiting spurts of about 3 days each, then they would stop. Last time he also got quite weak and was having trouble standing up. I was about to take him to the vet, but by the time I got home from the grocery store he seemed much improved.

This evening he started vomiting again and I started a Google search on Friskies canned food for cats to see what I could find out about this. What a surprise! I thought Friskies was a decent cat food and I trusted their reputation. I am terribly disappointed in them as a Corporation. I believe a company with integrity would be 1) Warn customers of this bad food 2) Issue a recall of the food 3) Provide refunds for food purchased 4) Reimburse vet bills. This is not something we have caused to happen to our furbabies, it is something that has been done to them through the negligence of a Corporation trying to save a few dollars.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I recently fed both my cats Friskies beef shreds, both my cats threw up within 10 min of eating it. My one cat got better within 24 hrs. My other cat continued to throw up for 3 days. I took him to the vet. She examined him & did blood work, his liver enzymes are elevated & he's dehydrated. He had to be put on medication. She said it was from the food. Several hundreds of dollars later, praying he'll recover. Friskies should be taken off the market!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

Upon newly disclosed diabetes in one of my cats, other websites say, among others, stay that "Friskies Canned Cat Food" is an "acceptable" food, as it is low in carbohydrates, etc. But upon reading all of the reviews here, my cat would be in worse shape if she consumed it. Already went through the "foaming, pink, vomiting, hair loss, rash, exorbitant vet bills with one of my other cats, until I, myself, discovered that it was from "Fancy Feast Medleys"....The fact which I posted on that your website quite a few months ago, also seeing the similar complaints about THAT canned food. Can't a class action lawsuit be pursued in this matter?! What a despicable company that is allowed to get away with this (and cause undue misery) to pet owners...

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Though our golden retriever has been eating this food for 3 months he recently became ill. Vomiting and diarrhea and stopped eating this food. Lab and stool samples were unremarkable. Gave him boiled chicken and rice for one week plus anti- nausea med. It is very unusual for him to not like any food but he would not eat that food even after he was feeling better. Was willing to eat three other brands of food but will not touch the Pro Plan. I am very suspicious of the food and would alert anyone with food of the same batch. I too spent 500$ at vet, lost two bags of that food already purchased. Be aware!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I have been purchasing Purina Pro Plan dog food for some time now. I have been satisfied with the quality of dog food, and the health of my dogs. My family breeds Australian Shepherds so their health is a priority to us. We as breeders have gone around the block with dog food to find the optimal choice for our dogs. With that being said we purchase a large quantity so quality is always a concern of where our money is going.

Recently I purchased Purina Pro Plan Sport dog food #0-38100-17271. This bag was specifically purchased from Tractor Supply in Junction City, Oregon. After purchasing this bag my dogs slowly started to decrease their intake given. Which is very abnormal for some of our dogs. Over the course of this week. They completely stopped eating the food, and my one female began to throw up the food. I just figured it was a typical pregnant dog and was a little concerned. This particular female is one of our top dogs. If she were to get in a state of illness while carrying we would be at risk of losing puppies. After that incident a younger male that we have threw up the food, and became very lethargic. He stopped eating, and drinking over the course of last night, and this morning. He became dehydrated, and has a huge loss of energy. We now have multiple dogs that will not touch their food, and becoming very lethargic.

With the young dog getting so sick I had no other choice than to take him to the vet. All of his blood work came back normal, and was not linked to the Parvo Virus. The veterinarian just believes that he had gotten extremely sick from something, and to start him on antibiotics. The only thing that I can link my dogs to is the bag of Purina Pro Plan. They are not exposed to out side animals, and are very closely monitored.

I had to start cooking chicken, and rice to get them to eat. They will not touch the food from #0-38100-17271. I had not even used a quarter of the bag before these incidents. I have to throw out the entire bag since my dogs will not eat it. This ordeal also costed me a $266.65 vet bill. Exam-$62.00. Chem Panel C-1$07.00. Subcutaneous fluids 200 ml-$24.25. Cerenia 60mg tabs-4ct-$45.35. Clav/Amoxi Tab 250mg-$28.05. These dogs are quality animals, and we like to ensure that the health of our stock is our top priority. This happening to our program is unacceptable. We will never purchase a single thing from Purina ever again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Just purchased a bag of dog food..after feeding our dog we noticed maggots climbing out from dog. We were trying out a new brand. We basically just purchased the bag...not happy knowing our beloved pet ate it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have two cats that eat dry food every day and on occasion I feed them Friskies shredded canned cat food as a treat. My cats are six years old brothers and I’ve been feeding them Purina Friskies since I got them as kittens. When I fed them a can of Friskies 2 weeks ago, I knew there was something wrong. They weren’t overly excited about the food, but they ate it. The next day I noticed they hadn’t been drinking much or eating their dry food. They were throwing up and two days later I had to take them to the vet. They were not eating or drinking.

I looked on the Internet to see if there was any reports of a recall. I then noticed other people talking about bad Friskies canned food and certain batch numbers. I checked the Batch number on the can of food I had given the cats and to my horror, it ended in 1159. I also checked the other cans I had purchased and they all ended in 1159. The vet treated them for a gastrointestinal issue. My one cat finally recovered after 5 days and his brother was about 8 days, although he is not quite 100%. Needless to say I won’t be giving them any more Friskies canned food. I contacted Karina and they told me there was nothing wrong with the food, but I definitely disagree. Why are other people complaining about this Batch number??!!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information